Saki

Do you have a favorite non sci-fi related series? If you do you can post it here. Please remember the boards are PG-13.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Saki

Post by Ekuryua »

Miyanaga Saki is a high school freshman who doesn’t like mahjong. Ever since she was a child, she would lose her New Year’s gift money during her family mahjong game. If she won, her parents would be upset, and if she lost, well, she lost. As a result, she’s learned to play in such a way that her score always remains plus/minus zero: not good enough to win, but not bad enough to lose. When we meet her, she’s being dragged to her school’s mahjong club by an old friend. How will a girl who hates mahjong, yet has become adept at the game as a result of her upbringing, survive in this environment?
--via AniDB

To be honest, I wasn't expecting too much out of this one. After all, shonen-type game shows are a dime a dozen. However, upon watching the first episode, I was pleasantly surprised, although I'm not quite sure it its intended to be serious or parody (Poe's Law, anyone?)

Basically, this show is exactly what is says it is; a show about mahjong. However, it also contains over-the-top melodrama (particularly in the mahjong-playing scenes), likable (albeit cliche) characters, excellent voice acting, fairly good animation, a healthy dose of fanservice, and a possible yuri subtext. By all these powers combined, it creates a supremely entertaining show. Of course, I have absolutely no idea how to play mahjong, but this show has definitely piqued by interest.
End Transmission.
risk
Lander

Re: Saki

Post by risk »

i play mahjong!!! *bows*

and while I am one for a bit of fanservice, the previews for this ep turned me away. A show dedicated to one game cant have much plot, therefore filling the massive hole with over-the-top tile placing sequences and of course: fansuuuuuuuuuuuurvice.

....heck. Im never one for appearances. Will check it out. ;)
Ekuryua
Vassel

Re: Saki

Post by Ekuryua »

You should check it out! It's quite amusing.

So, you know how to play mahjong, eh? Perhaps you could teach me?
End Transmission.