Star Wars: The Old Republic

Do you have a favorite non sci-fi related series? If you do you can post it here. Please remember the boards are PG-13.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Ekuryua »

Since Star Wars Galaxies was a miserable failure...

BioWare, the game studio behind Knights of the Old Republic, is reportedly developing a new Star Wars MMORPG set in the KOTOR era. Aside from that, details are scarce.

Read the article here.

This game joins a host of other science-fiction MMOs currently in development, including Star Trek Online and Stargate Worlds.
End Transmission.
Azgalath
Lander

Re: Untitled Star Wars MMORPG

Post by Azgalath »

I'll definitely do a trial account. If for nothing, then just for the experience. I probably won't play it beyond that... especially because they'll probably make you pay like $50 a month.
It's going to be awesome!
Stilts
Lander

Post by Stilts »

Azgalath wrote:I'll definitely do a trial account. If for nothing, then just for the experience. I probably won't play it beyond that... especially because they'll probably make you pay like $50 a month.
Yeah, that's the attitude I have toward pay-to-play MMOs. I'll do their free trial, then never play again (hello there, Phantasy Star: Blue Burst!).

Anyway, on a less personal note, I have faith that if anyone can revive the Star Wars MMO, Bioware is the one to do it. The largest problem I can see right now is how they'll handle the competition. After all, most people will only be willing to pay for one MMO at a time, which means they'll probably have to siphon players from already well-established MMOs such as WoW, Guild Wars, and EVE. On the other hand, this is Star Wars we're talking about, and it's being developed by Bioware, so name-recognition may be enough to convince enough people to switch. Star Trek will have it worse off, simply because Perpetual Entertainment hasn't actually RELEASED anything yet, so their name means close to nil. Stargate Worlds...well, I'm worried about that MMO, because all the other sci-fi MMOs will cannibalize its potential userbase.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

I think both Star Wars and Star Trek have the ability to attract new MMO players, provided they make their gameplay accessible enough to casual gamers. Star Trek seems more likely to do this, as it seems the new Star Wars MMO will be based around KOTOR and probably be just as complicated.
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Hmm, this hasn't been updated in a while. The game is called Star Wars: The Old Republic, and is being made by Bioware. It's basically a continuation of KOTOR in MMORPG form. So far, it looks pretty good. Check out the website for more info.
End Transmission.