Lucky Star

Do you have a favorite non sci-fi related series? If you do you can post it here. Please remember the boards are PG-13.
Diaho
Site Administrator

Lucky Star

Post by Diaho »

Posted: Nov 7, 2007
BANDAI ENTERTAINMENT INC. TO RELEASE KADOKAWA’S ANIME SERIES, LUCKY STAR!

November 6, 2007 (Cypress, CA) – Kadokawa Pictures USA, Inc. and Bandai Entertainment Inc., announced today that it will be releasing the anime series Lucky Star in North America in 2008. The announcement was made in a unique way – a surprise trailer at the beginning of Vol. 4 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which was just released.

Lucky Star is a 24 episode television series from Kyoto Animation, the same anime production company that created the anime series for Haruhi. Lucky Star’s main character is Konata Izumi, a lazy high school girl who isn’t interested in anything besides anime and video games. The series is described as the ultimate “otaku anime,” -- it pays tribute to anime culture and other series with in-jokes and hilarious references.

“We are pleased to continue our relationship with Kadokawa Pictures USA and release Lucky Star. It is a very funny series and fans are in for a treat,” said Bandai Entertainment Inc. President Ken Iyadomi.

Like Haruhi, Lucky Star has a fantastic soundtrack and the songs and music have been very popular in Japan. “There is a Lucky Star dance, like Haruhi, and at a recent con, we saw it being performed by U.S. fans, so here we go again,” added Bandai Marketing Director Robert Napton.

Lucky Star will be released in 2008, with exact dates to be announced shortly.

For more information visit:

http://www.myspace.com/luckystardvd

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Spaurh
Founding Member

Re: Lucky Star

Post by Spaurh »

It should not be surprising that Lucky Star was licensed for R1 release. It is a very funny series. :lmao
Stilts
Lander

Post by Stilts »

The series is described as the ultimate “otaku anime,” -- it pays tribute to anime culture and other series with in-jokes and hilarious references.
Why does that sentence worry me so much?

Oh, right. Because I find anime culture to be, for the most part, very creepy. The fact that the main characters are all young girls does not alleviate the worry I'm feeling. On the other hand, Azumanga Daioh had a similar number of young girls in the cast and managed not to be creepy, so maybe I'm just being gun-shy.
FatPianoBoy
Founding Member

Post by FatPianoBoy »

If it helps, it often pokes fun at what I'm assuming you find creepy. It sometimes takes the jokes a bit too far (Anime Tenchou started to get out of hand), but it's a lot of fun and highly recommended if you need an emotional pick-me-up after something depressing.
risk
Lander

Post by risk »

Stilts wrote:
The series is described as the ultimate “otaku anime,” -- it pays tribute to anime culture and other series with in-jokes and hilarious references.
Why does that sentence worry me so much?

Oh, right. Because I find anime culture to be, for the most part, very creepy. The fact that the main characters are all young girls does not alleviate the worry I'm feeling. On the other hand, Azumanga Daioh had a similar number of young girls in the cast and managed not to be creepy, so maybe I'm just being gun-shy.
*blows dust of this topic*

hopefully you have watched the series and no longer find it creepy.... :happy
my friend decided to bring the series in on his psp during class back in 2007 and at that point I didnt understand much about anime (probably still don't..) so I completely shunned the series. But since then, said friends have worked on me and the anime bug has bit, and bit hard. And hopefully none of what you would call 'creepy' either...
This series, now that I get all the jokes and references, is one of my favorites...avatar says it all...
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

I'll give this show a go when I finish up Azumanga Daioh. Those two shows seem similar in tone...
End Transmission.
risk
Lander

Post by risk »

it is definetely either a love or hate anime...once you get over the art style (some people ive talked to have gripes with it), the initial randomness of episodes one and two (it is a different way of story telling, i.e. there aint any) you begin to see how well developed the characters are, and the style of the jokes, making back references to popular animes and mangas...certainly, it is a great 'otaku-anime'
im just happy that 2 years ago, the inside jokes that passed way over my head, when i rewatched last year, I got them all....filled me with a warm glow.. :D
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Any Gundam references in there? That would satisfy my inner fan immensely.
End Transmission.
risk
Lander

Post by risk »

watch the series and find out ;)
Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

You forget the OVA... it's a definite keeper as well... some of the references are priceless :happy

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."