19_Planetary Life

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

19_Planetary Life

Post by Diaho »

Planetary Life

The morning started crisp and cool, by noon it was pleasant, as the sunset approached a thin layer of high clouds started to form from the southwest. It was the evening of the third celebration of the planets attunement. Plakia, who was four and had enough fingers to show you, was helping Dawn who was almost three up the path towards Seelnay and Nasse’s residence. Right before Dawn was born Seelnay had convinced Nasse and her family to move to Shahrazad. Seelnay’s delivery was anything but normal; Dawn was not willing to enter this new world readily. After thirty hours of non-stop labor she arrived shortly after dawn on the last day of the harvest moon. Seelnay, who had a head full of boy’s names till the minute she saw her, decided if dawn is when she arrived then Dawn is what she’ll be named.

“Look at you two! What a mess you are.” Seelnay said as the girls entered the residence. “We need to get you cleaned up for the ceremony tonight.” Seelnay called to Nasse who took Plakia, then she and Dawn set about the daunting task of getting a three old cleaned up for an important event. Finally, Dawn was presentable; she sat in a pale yellow sundress and waited for Plakia to come down the hall. Seelnay fixed her hair while keeping one eye on Dawn. I’ve got a surprise for you if you’re a good girl.” Seelnay said as she fixed the last bit of her outfit. “Do you have any idea of what it might be?”

Dawn sat in the chair next to her mother, her hands in her lap, her legs kicking back and forth. She got a rye little smile on her face and asked. “Aunt Arisa’s going to be there?” Seelnay nodded and this ear-piercing squeal could be heard throughout the residence. From down the hall Nasse said. “I guess you told her?” Seelnay replied. “It was that obvious eh?” Seelnay heard Plakia running down the hall, she picked up Dawn and left the room. Once outside Dawn said. “Mommy I want to walk this year.” Seelnay placed Dawn on the ground took hold of her hand and they walked the short distance to the square where the celebration would start shortly.

Village life was treating Seelnay well, at first, she tried living with Jinto and Lafiel, but it didn’t work. They were all couples there, she was by herself and very pregnant. It was then she moved to the village and convinced Nasse to come live with her. There was some friction between them, and then Nasse discovered the wealth of opportunities that Shahrazad had to offer. Today she and Seelnay run the Trade Ministry, with help from Arisa and Company. You see when everything blew up politically three years ago. Seelnay sold the company she founded to Arisa and had them come work for Spoor on her fuel depot. This gave Seelnay a hand, quietly, in building the fuel depot. It also gave her the expertise, which led Lafiel to make her head of the Trade Ministry. There were also some other benefits that being in an important position had to offer, but more on that later.

Samson and Sobbash sat at a table in the square watching the sunset. In a carry sack across Sobbash’s middle laid little Saio. Sixteen months after the attunement, Samson and Sobbash decided to start a family. The first month seemed to go well but in to the second Sobbash began feeling ill. She was left with just enough energy to perform the simplest of tasks. Samson took her to the Village and after a comprehensive examination it was determined that the child would not survive to a time where it could be delivered early. Two days later the pregnancy terminated. It left Sobbash devastated and unable to carry a child ever again.

Nasse heard of Sobbash’s plight and took matters into her own hands. Without consulting anyone planet side she made contact with the government on Deltoke. There had been a natural disaster on another planet and Deltoke was the refugee camp for those orphaned children. With help from Ku’s mother, she found an eight-week-old girl, had the papers executed and delivered her to Sobbash at the beginning of the harvest season, one year ago. At first Sobbash was angry but soon Saio became part of Samson and Sobbash’s life. It is a decision that Nasse never regretted. Saio was sleeping as Nasse and Seelnay approached Samson and Sobbash. Seeing this they reined in their girls, who’s only comment was. “Can we see the baby?” Sobbash looked at them and said. “You can but you must be quiet she’s sleeping.” Sobbash leaned forward so Plakia and Dawn could see Saio. There were smiles and giggles from both girls.

“How is she doing?” Nasse asked. “Better.” Sobbash answered. “She’s sleeping through the night and Mia’s happy with the weight she’s gaining.” Sobbash paused then looked at Nasse and said. “I still can’t find the words to thank you for…” Nasse stopped her. “Sobbash, the look on your face and the contentment that child is showing, is thanks enough for me. Are you two doing well with your gardening?” Samson nodded. “We’ll have plenty this year, enough for the entire Village…” Sobbash placed an elbow in his ribs. “You forgot something. We are donating a goodly share to Saio’s home world. It’s befitting their plight and the village elders did give their approval as well.” Samson looked in the sack; Saio was still sleeping, and said. “Sorry Honey. Daddy forgot his promise. I’ll not do that again.” He looked Sobbash in the eyes. “You’ll forgive me I wasn’t thinking.” A kiss on the cheek was his answer.

“Lafiel! Hurry up! We are going to be late.” Lafiel heard his words but Dai had her attention. It had been six months since their last chat and Lafiel was going to hear everything Dai had to say this time. Jinto poked his head in the room realized who Lafiel was talking to and headed outside. Noel and Risch were waiting in the hover car; this vehicle was an invention of necessity. Samson and Risch with help from Jinto had taken two hover sleds and made a car, of sorts. It had sides and a top with windows that opened and closed it afforded them some comfort against the ever-changing climate of Shahrazad. Soon after the attunement the climate changed. There were now four distinct seasons Cold, Warm, Hot and Warm, followed by Cold again. It was the transitions from warm to cold. This meant sudden shower were likely. After being caught out in the driving rain on a hover sled. It was decided to devise something that offered some protection from the elements, so the hover car was born.

Jinto sat next to Risch in the back, leaving the seat next to Noel for Lafiel. Noel gave him a look as he entered, once settled she asked. “Just the three of us?” Jinto shook his head. “We wait. She is on the link with Dai. After the last time if it takes all night then it takes all night. I’ll not have that scene again.” Jinto’s pulling the plug on them, cut the last conversation short. Lafiel was on his case for three weeks after that. They decided anytime Dai called however long it took it took. Jinto sat and stared out the window. “Noel? Are the safeties removed from this car?” She nodded. Jinto checked his creunoc. “She’s got ten minutes to finish. If she shows up after that, go like the wind.” Noel sat facing the control panel she flipped a couple of switches, adjusted her seat belts and said. “I do hope she’s long winded this time, I’ve been wanting to open this up.” She sat rubbing her hands together as Lafiel appeared and got in next to her. Dejected Noel started the car as Lafiel said. “We are going to be late! Go Noel! GO!” With a cloud of dust they headed towards the Village.

Although they were moving right along the inside was quiet enough to have a normal conversation. “Jinto. Duhiel got his promotion. Kotoponi recommended him personally. Dai’s beside herself with joy, it seems they maybe in the neighborhood soon?” Jinto smiled. “Lafiel could you define soon?” Lafiel nodded. “Within the next six months, it depends on how this patrol goes.” Jinto relaxed in the seat, Lafiel still had a time conception problem. To her, now, could be that very second to as long as a week away. Soon could be next week, next month, or next year. Six months before Duhiel’s ship would be close enough for Dai to come planet side that will be a nice visit if it happens.

When Lafiel last saw Dai it was for two hours and it had to be at Spoor’s fuel depot. That is when Dai told her of the punishment handed out by the Grand Council. Publicly, Lafiel had been stripped of her name and title. Privately not much had changed, with one big exception. She, like myself was banished from her home. At first Lafiel showed no emotion when Dai told her, she returned to Shahrazad as if nothing had happened. One night however it all came to a head and Lafiel could no longer contain her self. Spoor and Kufadis had just left for the fuel depot. Risch and Noel were in orbit working on the planets survey. Samson and Sobbash were somewhere on the island. I never got a good answer from them about that night. Needless to say it was something completely unrelated to what was really bothering Lafiel that set her off.

We were sitting at the table outside the kitchen watching the sunset. It had been a fairly warm and humid day. Our clothes were sticking to our bodies and there was barely a breeze. I’ve never liked bugs and Lafiel had never to deal with them until recently. We had the fly problem under control. Samson had seen to that, but we recently had a new pest arrive, the mosquito. They were a product of the experimentation the scientists in the Village were conducting. I’ll put it this way. Their science project got loose one night and multiplied rapidly. Soon after that night we were hip deep in the hungry little monsters. Lafiel was one of the first ones bit; her reaction was unexpected to say the least.

“OUCH!” ‘SMACK!’ “Jinto, what the hell is this?” A flatten mosquito laid on the back of Lafiel’s hand with blood oozing out of it. Rolling my creunoc I brought up the explanation and showed it to Lafiel. It was after reading it that she went ballistic. “A lousy blood-sucking parasite! What did I do to deserve this? First those blood sucking bastards at the Capital screw with my life, and now we got bugs doing the same thing!” Lafiel went on for another fifteen minutes her language getting more colorful by the moment. Finally she faced me and told me what Dai had said. We started to have a good cry when the sun finally set and the buzz of trouble reached our ears. Making our way inside, we relaxed in the shower and continued our conversation. The next morning, “Operation Mosquito” started, little to my knowledge or approval.

I found Lafiel sitting in front of the main computer console. She was in her safari outfit with netting draped across her face. Lying on the table next to her were three empty power packs. She noticed I was in the room and said. “Those bugs aren’t so tough! You should see what happens when a laser pistol is discharged into a swarm of them little beggars.” Lafiel took her hands, made the motion of an explosion, and said. “Poof! The only problem is the smell. They smell real bad when they’ve been fried Jinto. Real bad.”

I looked over Lafiel’s shoulder at the display of the island. She had it sectioned off and parts colored bright red. I inquire as to what I was looking at and she said. “The red parts are where the largest concentration are, err, ah, were. Those areas are now clear. Samson will go in later and destroy any young I missed in my initial sweep of the area.

Lafiel sat there feeling pretty good about her self. In typical Abh fashion she had used overwhelming force against an almost defenseless foe. The result had to be in her favor, had the mosquitoes put up any kind of resistance. I’m sure she would have called in a defensive strike from the orbital platform. Oh yeah that. Well we tried at first to build our own defensive fleet, but that fell flat when the Capital found out about it. Spoor was informed if she helped us in the least little bit. Spoor would find her self at war with the Empire, no questions asked. The orbital platform was a gift from the Iliac Kingdom, much to the Capital’s dismay. Face it. Lafiel’s got friends. She’s managed to keep most of them, even after what has happened. So now we have six ships that are capable of space / plane space travel. None of them carry any firepower. Although the long range research vessel could be armed if we so desired.

Noel exited the cleared firebreak and slowed as she entered the village. Firebreak? Guess I need to explain that too. Following Samson’s advice the area surround the village and most of the island has had the underlying brush removed from them. In the process we cleared a one hundred meter wide path between the island and the Village. It’s now a straight shot between them. As an added bonus there are places where you can get shelter from any inclement weather encountered along the way. Noel made excellent time I might add.

We parked the car and made our way to the square. I’ll have to admit I didn’t see them until it was too late. “Auntie Lafiel!!” Dawn and Plakia about dropped Lafiel to the ground with their charge. “Hi girls. How’s my favorite nieces tonight?” Standing and smiling, they both said. “We are fine. Saio is here too.” Plakia said. “Oh? She is?” Lafiel was surprised when that fact was revealed. Saio’s health was not the best when she arrived at Shahrazad. It had been only recently that she had started responding to treatment. Lafiel spied Sobbash; she took the girls by the hand and headed towards her. ”Sobbash I’m glad to see you.” Lafiel leaned forward and peeked into the carry sack. “Hi Saio.” With the sound of Lafiel’s voice Saio opened those blue eyes and tried very hard to focus on her. A bubbly smile crept across Saio’s face and Lafiel said. ”She is looking good. Is she sleeping well?” Sobbash nodded and said. “Through the night in fact. Mia’s happy with the weight she’s put on and I’m so happy…” Sobbash stopped and wiped the tears from her eyes. “When I lost…” Lafiel placed her hand across Sobbash’s lips and pointed to the girls. “Not now Sobbash. I understand, but not now.”

Sobbash nodded as Samson returned to her side. He took her hand as said. “You were doing fine. Do we need to leave?” Sobbash shook her head. “Saio will decide if we stay or leave. I need to be around people again. I need to accept everything that has happened and move back into society. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself, for both of your sakes. I won’t have Saio or you having a hermit around. So Samson, watch me and guide me, but Saio decides when we leave okay?” Samson took Sobbash and helped her to her feet. “It’s time Sobbash. Scholar’s coming across the square.”

After the attunement there was a brief power struggle with in the Village. Li and Erin were gathering supporters and were going to divide the Village when Scholar stepped in and brought that “nonsense” to a halt. Erin and Li govern jointly it has worked for almost three years, although there have been those uncomfortable moments. The celebration of the attunement was more like a state of the state address than a celebration. The celebration, that happened afterwards, weather permitting. For the next twenty minutes. Erin and Li took turns highlighting the past years events and their plans for the coming year. This being an odd year, the gong will be sounded as well. Once the speeches were done we made our way to the Council chambers to bear witness to the sounding of the gong. Lafiel had the honor of striking it this time. The gong emitted an eerie sound but there was not the violent reaction that was experienced the first time it was sounded.

“That thing gives me the willies.” Noel said. “After knowing what it did to this planet. I’m not sure if it was such a hot idea to sound it again.” Risch placed his hand on her shoulder. “Easy Noel. Take it easy. You’re basing that statement on the preliminary findings. We both know it goes deeper than that.” Noel took a deep breath and relaxed. “Your right Risch there have been changes for the good especially the gas ratios, but some of the other things like the violent storms that never occurred before. I’m just wondering.” Risch kissed her. Moving away from the crowd he said. “Noel you need to be careful of what you say in public. Until the findings are verified an erroneous statement could start another conflict. Remember we are no longer in the Star Forces. We live here and we have to live with these people. Remember that will you Noel.”

Suddenly fireworks erupted from the south end of the Village. “Aunt Arisa is here!” squealed Dawn. She and Plakia were moving as fast as their short legs could carry them with Seelnay and Nasse in hot pursuit. Arisa saw the girls running towards her. She knelt down and intercepted them one in each arm. “Oh my how you two have grown. Let me have a good look at you.” Plakia and Dawn stood back and up as straight as they could. It was in that time Seelnay and Nasse caught up. “My, my, you two are quite the pair.” She greeted Seelnay with a hug. “It’s been too long, I feel bad I haven’t had the time to visit more often.” Plakia tugged on Arisa’s skirt and said. “More boom, boom please.” Kuhaspia bent over and gave Plakia the magic button. “Push it once and watch what happens.” Plakia pushed the button and a small sky display started.

She and Dawn stood staring at the display as Arisa and Seelnay spoke. “Once this is done you and I need to talk. Something is brewing and I need to bounce it off you before I do anything about it.” Seelnay frowned. “Imperial entanglements again?” Arisa nodded. Feeling a tug on her skirt she looked down to see Dawn patiently waiting. “What is it Dawn?” Arisa asked. “Plakia got to make boom, boom. It’s my turn.” Arisa set the display control for another sky show and she handed Dawn the button. “You know what to do.” Using both hands Dawn pressed the button and the sky lit up. “It’s just the two of you? Where’s?” Arisa pointed skyward. “I left her aboard the ship. Like I said, something is a foot and leaving a ship in orbit on auto does not bring peace to my soul.”

Jinto, Lafiel, Noel and Risch stood at a distance watching Seelnay and Arisa speaking. Sobbash and Samson stood off to one side protecting Saio from the noise of the fireworks. “I wish I knew what they were talking about?” Lafiel said. Before she could say another word a hand with a scanner in passed across her face. “Humph! My shadow is back.” Lafiel said. Mia looked at the scan placed the scanner in her pocket and said. “If you would make office visits when I asked I wouldn’t have to do this in public. Although I’m getting use to keeping a scanner on me at all times. I never know when you’ll drop in next.” Lafiel wasn’t impressed by Mia’s statement. “Since it’s in you pocket I’m assuming there’s nothing there?”

Jinto, seeing an opening, took it, but regretted it later. “You don’t need a scanner to confirm that.” Jinto said as Lafiel caught him in the ribs with an elbow. Jinto was gasping for air as Lafiel said. “You know how I hate those comments Jinto and I warned you last time what I would do if you got that smart again.” Mia scanned Jinto and said. “You need to be careful Lafiel. You’ve bruised a couple of his ribs any harder and you would have broken them.” Lafiel walked over to Jinto who was still gasping and whispered in his ear. “Make fun of me in private all you want. Keep doing it in public and I’ll break them next time.” Jinto nodded he knew he was out of line and did deserve this punishment. He was lucky to be alive.

Sobbash tapped Mia on the shoulder. Mia was surprised when she saw the three of them at this event. “How’s Saio doing?” she said as she peeked in the carry sack. “She seems to be fine but I’m not feeling to well could you check me out?” It was a short walk to the Hospital from where they were standing. Samson and Saio waited in the waiting area. Sobbash and Mia went to the first open exam room. In the room Sobbash asked for Mia’s scanner and took a scan of her midsection. Looking at the scan she handed the device to Mia and said. “I thought, I was pass this, but now?” Mia showed her to the table and had her undress from the waist down. She brought the portable scanning device from across the room and scanned Sobbash again.

Turning the display where they could both see it she said. “You have an abscess, this one is draining. However it’s draining internally not externally. I can drain it now and give you something for the infection. Sobbash if this keeps up, you know what we will have to do.” Sobbash nodded. Mia brought another device over to the table she prepared the area and drained the abscess. Sobbash felt better almost immediately after the procedure was done, then Mia reminded her it was the medication that was making her feel good and as soon as it wore off she’d feel lousy again. “Why don’t you stay the night, I can put Samson and Saio in the same room with you.” Sobbash thought that was an excellent idea. Two nurses wheeled Sobbash to a private room and Mia went to get Samson and Saio.

“How is she doctor?” Samson asked. Mia sat next to Samson and explained everything to him. “I understand Doctor. I’ll keep an eye on her. You know it’ll will depress her to have that done.” Mia nodded. “When the time comes, if we don’t do it, it will surely kill her. Remember that Samson. Depression I can treat, death is a non treatable ailment.” She took Samson and Saio to be with Sobbash then she left the Hospital. On her way out the door she met Doctor Sasoum. “Sobbash is in room six. I drained another abscess. This one was draining internally it was almost to the muscle wall another eight hours and we would have.” Doctor Sasoum placed her face in her left hand, shook her head and said. “That poor woman, after everything she’s been through and now this. You’re right if it ever gets that bad, prep her, I’ll do the procedure. I’d rather have her hating me than you. But at least she’ll be alive to hate.” They parted ways. Mia headed to her quarters and Doctor Sasoum stopped in on Sobbash.

“Wow Arisa this is…” Seelnay stopped and read the document again. “It’s insane they can’t expect to accomplish that in the time required, unless…” Arisa handed Seelnay another document a technical drawing this time. Seelnay placed it on the table and adjusted the light to view it better. A stirring noise from down the hall brought her to her feet. “One sec Arisa, I think someone’s awake again.” Seelnay made her way to her room. A conversation could be heard between Dawn and her. Leaving the room Seelnay said. “Aunt Arisa will kiss you good night before she leaves I promise.”

Seelnay returned to the table, picked up the document and continued to study it. “You know Arisa. She adores you and the rest of the crew.” Arisa smiled and said. “I’m glad, she’s a darling girl. Too bad her daddy is not here…” Arisa claps her hand across her mouth. Seelnay showed no emotion over Arisa’s last statement, she continued to read the document and said. “It’s okay Arisa. Dawn has already explored the subject of daddy with me. Thanks to Count Hyde’s extensive photo collection and his first hand knowledge. Dawn has a pretty good idea of who her father was. Mother Dorin was a big help too. You just missed her. She left on the transport to Deltoke this morning.”

Seelnay placed the document on the table and Arisa got a good look at her face. Slightly flushed and showing two small streaks of tears Seelnay made eye contact with Arisa and said. “Ku’s death was an accident. I blamed myself at first for it, then I found out I was carrying her. If it wasn’t for Scholar and a lot of other people I would have placed her, I wasn’t a fit mother before she was born. I’m happy with the progress I’ve made and I’m sure Ku’s content too. I want you to know, if anything happens to me, you’ll finish raising her for me. Okay?” Arisa sat stunned, the normally abrasive Seelnay had just confessed a lot and asked something that. “We’ll take good care of Dawn if the time ever comes. I promise.”

Seelnay picked up the document and pointed to a section of the device. “Take care. If there is going to be a problem it will be around that area. It’s structurally sound, barely. You’re really going to get involved in this venture?” Arisa stared at the drawing leaned back in her chair and said. “Nope I don’t think so. After careful consultation with the founder of this company, I believe it’s not in the best interest of Arisa and Company to get involved in this disaster about to happen.” Arisa picked up the documents and looked Seelnay in the face. “Thanks Boss. I was going to do this for the credits, but you showed me there are more things than credits in this universe.” She made her way down the hall kissed Dawn good night and left.

Seelnay sat at the table, a cup of coffee in her hand. Nasse entered from the other room and sat next to her, pointing at the cup she said. “Did you make that or did Arisa?” Seelnay pointed at the door and continued to drink her coffee. Nasse got up grabbed a cup and poured her self one then sat next to Seelnay. “Pretty intense conversation. Arisa was about to do something…” Seelnay interrupted her. “Stupid! Probably get her self killed in the process. Damn outer worlds! They steal technology from the more advance worlds and modify it so as not to get commended for stealing it. In the process they so cheapen it they make it dangerous to operate. In this case it was dangerous to build. I don’t get it? They could buy the product cheaper than stealing the plans and producing it themselves. That is, if life has any value to them?”

Nasse sat her cup down and said. “Do you remember the trade agreement with the Soulari? How they waltzed in here and offered to produce the harvesting units that Samson and Risch finally made themselves?” Seelnay nodded. “They were using stolen Midgradian technology and Samson let them give him that line of bull before he sent then packing. Yeah I remember. Why do you bring that up?” Nasse took a drink of her coffee and continued. “Remember what Samson said after they left. He said he could have ruined their day by exposing their deceit. But that poor fellow hadn’t the slightest idea the product he was selling was pirated technology. He was so proud of it. Samson hadn’t the heart to ruin the poor fellows day. Granted Lafiel filed a formal complaint with their government. They paid the Midgradian government a healthy fine, but now, they do produce the unit under a Midgradian license and their pride still shows in the product. Sometimes Seelnay planets do things like that to instill pride in their citizens. Then there are those fast credit artists that we see more and more of each day.”

Nasse glanced at the clock and said. “The representatives from Saio’s home world will be here in twelve hours don’t you think you should get some rest?” Seelnay faced at Nasse. “If you want. I’ll meet with them. You can watch the girls.” Nasse shook her head. “It’s alright Seelnay, the matter concerning Saio is settled. I’m convinced that they had no knowledge of her physical condition when they finalized her adoption. Mia has said there would have been no way of knowing she wasn’t a healthy child when they placed her on the transport coming here. Sobbash has taken to her and I really believe she’s the one that’s made Sobbash turn the corner. I was surprised to find the three of them at the celebration tonight.“ Seelnay rose from the table and placed her cup in the sink. “Wake me when you need me. I’ll watch the girls. Good night.” She headed towards her room. Nasse poured the last bit of coffee in her cup and sat at the table. “This negation should be an easy one unless they send a certain person.” She finished her coffee and went to bed.

The trip back to the residence was a quiet one. Because it was dark and there was wildlife running loose, Noel set the car to cruise at five meters above the surface. Even at that height she exercised caution because deer had been known to leap that high. Jinto sat next to Risch still nursing his ribs. Lafiel was dozing next to Noel; the girls had worn her out. Traveling at night posed certain problems that daylight travel didn’t, the first, and most annoying was the bug population. Glass installed in the car had proven a must the bugs were impaling themselves upon the front glass as she traveled along. Second and not so annoying was the lack of ambient light. Two small lamps lit the forward progress but at any kind of speed they proved useless. Noel was well past the speed of usefulness when the lamps reflected suddenly.

Her first reaction was the safest direction, UP. In this case it wasn’t the best move. The large hawk bounced off the side of the car and retreated towards the thicket. Everyone else was up with a start it was Lafiel who said. “Mosquito? Was that a mosquito?” Noel chuckled softly and said. “No Lafiel, I do believe you got all of them the last time you did battle with them. I think it was a hawk; it was above us took a dive. Instinctually I pulled up and I think I hit its hunting partner.” Lafiel peered out the front glass it was a maze of splattered bugs. “We need to do something about all these bugs.” From the back Risch said. “Don’t worry, the first cold snap and they’ll be history.” Lafiel shook her head and said. “That’s another thing I don’t like is the cold season. What happened to our mild winters?”

Normally I would have answered Lafiel’s question. But the question she asked this time, had I told her my opinion without any facts to back them up she’d tossed me out of the car. Risch and I started the planetary survey shortly after the atmosphere settled down. The attunement had altered several things. First, and it will be the most important; it let the planet tilt another two point five two degrees on its axis. That slight adjustment combined with the ionization up the upper layers of the atmosphere has raised the temperature one degree at the equator in the past three years. There is not one wind pattern that has remained the same either. The tropical and sub tropical jet streams have changed drastically and are still changing. I believe they might return to something similar to the pre attunement patterns in another five to seven years but the extra tilt of the planet has caused parts of this planet that never received long-term sunlight to be bathed in sun one quarter of the year. On a brighter side the oxygen level of the planet has risen to twenty three percent from the eighteen point nine five percent it was before. It’s easier to breathe even at higher altitudes. The rest of the gases have changed as well. But to life on this planet the increased oxygen level will be of the most benefit. I long to have the survey completed so I know what our future will hold.

“Noel slow down!” The car nimbly moved around the tree. “Sorry Lafiel my mind was else where. I’ll pay more attention from now on.” Lafiel sat for one moment then said. “Was you’re lapse of attention, did it have anything to do with my question about the mild winters?” Noel nodded. “Sorry Lafiel you know how that subject…” She paused. “The survey will be published shortly after it is we can talk about it all you want.” The gentle touch of Risch’s hand on her shoulder told her she had said enough on the subject.

The lake appeared and Noel slowed down. Parking the car on the dock they made their way towards the residence. Peering through the trees they saw Samson and Sobbash’s cottage sitting unlit. “Wonder if they stayed in the Village. Sobbash looked really tired tonight.” Lafiel said. Noel tapped her on the shoulder and said. “Remember they left with Mia, I’ll guess they stayed in the Village.” From behind them they heard Jinto saying. “I understand Samson. I’ll check the place before I go to bed. If there is anything else we can do just ask okay?” Samson’s voice radiated from the device but it was at such a low level you had to be next to Jinto to hear it. “Understood Samson. Give Sobbash my best and we’ll see you in a couple of days. Don’t worry everything is fine here.” Jinto ended the transmission and Lafiel asked. “Saio?” Jinto shook his head. “Sobbash, she took ill tonight and Mia admitted her to the Hospital for a couple of days. She is resting comfortably; Samson and Saio are with her. All we have to do is check the cottage and keep an eye on things till they get back.” Jinto proceeded to pat his pockets then said. “Risch you got a light on you?” Lafiel flipped open her bag, produced a light and handed it to Jinto. “Watch out for snakes. We’ll meet you at the house okay?” Jinto nodded and headed towards Samson’s place. The rest of them headed towards the residence.

It doesn’t matters how many times you’ve seen the place Samson and Sobbash built. You’ll always find something different, something you didn’t notice the last visit. Their cottage was of similar construction to the building Lafiel and I live in. There is a covered walkway leading to their hot house. That hot house replaced the garden I had behind our home, yet Lafiel and I have kept the flower garden going strong. Samson and Sobbash managed single handedly to keep the planet in food our second year. That was the year the cyclone almost destroyed the Village farming fields. Sobbash was recovering from losing the baby. Samson spent three days away from her, trying desperately, to save what they could in the Village. Lafiel and Noel spent every spare moment they had with Sobbash. Risch did yeoman’s work repairing the central power grid.

What did I do you asked? I finished assembling the planting trays for the hot house; it wasn’t that big of a deal. Samson returned with what he salvaged, figuring he would have to assemble planting trays and care for Sobbash. Needless to say we surprised him in a very pleasant way. The near disaster was a blessing in disguise. It motivated Sobbash to help Samson. That motivation, I believe, kept her from quietly going insane.

Shining my light around I checked the cottage. Everything looked normal. I approached the hot house and read the displays. It was running along nicely. Turning the light to go I caught sight of a pile of sensors that Sobbash had salvaged from the falls. Sobbash surprised even her self; she managed to make four working devices out of that pile of junk. The balance of the parts sat in a pile between the cottage and the hot house. I wonder if she’ll ever do something with them? I returned to Lafiel. On my way I noticed Noel and Risch had retired for the evening. Their place sat north of our place and east of Samson’s. The bed looked comfortable and I gently lower myself into it. “Note to self. Do not razz Lafiel in public again.”

I sit outside watching the sunrise by myself. This morning I left Jinto sleeping. I could sense his discomfort most of the night. I feel bad about injuring him however I’ve warned him on several occasions to keep those thoughts to him self. Maybe this time he’s learned. Three years have passed since the attunement, since I declared myself a Lynn. Since the day the Empire banned me forever going back to the Capital. Shahrazad has proven more of a challenge that I originally expected. We have had our high and low points. Some of those highs were the arrival of the orbital platform, the first successful trails of the long-range research vessel. We made new friends and have several trade agreements. I’ve found that you can survive without the Empire, however, I find myself at times fighting this genetic programming I carry.

Dai’s conversations have kept me apprised of what is going on with in the Empire that coupled with those who visit the planet. I know things are still very volatile, its taken every spare moment that the government has had to keep the ruling families in check. Ramaj and Kenesh have almost gotten a handle on the rebellion. There are those in the Empire who believe I got off easy, they insist I should have been tried in public and disgraced more than I already have. Those are the true victims of the outrage concocted by those who have suffered their final judgment. I guess I wasn’t surprised when I learned several of them had been put to death. It doesn’t matter whether I agree with that decision or not it’s over and done with. It did have the desired effect it silenced those who would have taken the Empire into tyranny. It will years before Duhiel’s ready to govern the Empire. I hope one is there for him to govern.

The sun feels good. I never realized how a glowing ball of uncontrolled energy could give one a feeling like this. I glance over my shoulder, I see Noel’s up. The whirring of her hot tub can be heard; it’s breaking the silence of the dawn. I’m surprised that she and Risch haven’t followed the path Sobbash and Samson did. I guess I should explain that. Once we were declared no longer a part of the Empire, and were stripped of our Star Forces ranks. Samson and Sobbash ventured off to the Hyde system. It was there they made their arrangements to be no longer associated with the Empire or any of its workings. At first Jinto thought Samson and Sobbash were leaving, never to return, however when it became evident what their intentions actually were, he assisted them with there travel plans. They returned six weeks later and started to build the cottage and hothouse. Where as Noel and Risch have spent the last three years doing the research study for the planet. They live in a nice cottage but have done nothing else to improve their lifestyle. I guess I’m amazed on how casual they live.

Oh well its another day and in four hours, we’ll have visitors wanting to immigrate to this world, something that up till now has been impossible to do. “The Council regrets to inform you that immigration to the planet Shahrazad is not possible at this time. Your application has been filed and when an opening occurs you will be notified.” I hate repeating that statement over and over again. But I have to admit we haven’t been getting those desirable residences either. Its not that we have let immigration be a one-way street either, we have admitted about five hundred residences. Those with the technical skills we needed got priority and then there were those I held in special regard, they were admitted to the growing community.

We number about nine thousand now. That includes the twenty children born this year. The Villagers, no longer inhibited by Sol-Eros unruly climate, have started their own population boom. Mia and her staff have had their hands full. I have to admit we’ve had those who were in bad health when they arrived here; they have left us as well. Then there was an unexpected low. Sobbash’s child never got a proper chance to claim the right to walk among us. I’ll remember that day till the day I die. I can’t think of one person on this world the loss of that child didn’t affect. Jinto and I had a long talk about children. I will not rule out the possibility of having at least one, but until this world is settled and I can take the time to be pregnant and nothing else, children will have to wait. There is one project I’d like to see to a conclusion before I settle down too. Scholar has the old star charts and has placed finding our origins on hold once again. It was always understood that project was on a ‘as time was available’ basis. Hopefully some more free time will come available soon.

My thirtieth birthday just passed me by. Jinto didn’t make much of a fuss over it. Well? Would you call breakfast in bed, a long loving soak in the hot tub followed by a rare oil rub down, making a fuss over me? If so, then, there was a fuss made over me and I enjoyed every second of it. There are days where I truly believe I’m growing accustom to living on a surface world, then there are days like today, where being cooped up in a space ship, inside a space time bubble, brings comfort to my soul. By the way, I’ve discovered, I do have a soul. I also have found the voice inside of me I’ve ignored all these years. They give me the strength to face everyday and comfort me at those times where I cannot sleep. Abh’s do not believe in God or Gods, but this Great Spirit the Villagers believe in, I’m still investigating this. I’ll tell you more once I’ve figured it all out.

Those hands on my shoulders and their ever-gentle massage, “Hi Jinto. How long have you been awake?” Jinto kept gently rubbing and said. “Not as long as you have Lafiel. I missed another sunrise.” The noises from the hot tub turn Jinto’s head up the path to see Noel hop out of the tub and make her way back inside her cottage. “She needs to remember just because she can’t see anyone doesn’t mean she can’t be seen.” Jinto remarked. “Face it Jinto. She saw you. She’s just an exhibitionist she enjoys strutting her stuff. What can I say Jinto? She’s an Abh all Abh are very beautiful and she knows it.” Lafiel said as she moved Jinto’s hands to her back. “Right between the shoulder blades if you please, I’ve already tensed up in anticipation of today’s events.” Jinto placed his hands between her shoulder blades and started to rub Lafiel’s back. It was like trying to rub the tabletop Lafiel was stiff as a board. “Wait! Jinto? What do you think you are doing?” Jinto had placed Lafiel over his shoulder in a fireman’s carry and was heading for residence’s back door. “I'm taking you somewhere I can work on your back its too stiff. You need to be laying down.” Jinto said as he opened the door. “Well hurry up I’m getting light headed, the blood is rushing every which way.” Once inside Jinto placed Lafiel on the sofa and attended to her back.

“Humph! That’s not what I expected at all.” Noel said, as she stood wrapped in a towel staring out the window. She knew Jinto had seen her and it was her way of starting something. However, this time, instead of starting an argument between Jinto and Lafiel. Jinto hoisted Lafiel over his shoulder and took her inside to do who knows what. “That was a waste of time. Well now what to do today?” She glanced over at Risch who was reading a journal. “Did you hear me?” The paper never wavered but his voice could be heard saying. “Yes Noel I heard you. You went and did it again didn’t you? Took another hot tub soak and failed to remember the towels? Jinto saw you naked; Lafiel was around this time, and instead of starting a feud, you started something different am I correct?” Noel reached for the book and tipped it out of the way her eyes met Risch’s. “You forgot one word didn’t you?” Noel’s eyes were a flame. “You forgot to call me Captain, you always call me that when you’re disgusted with me.” Risch returned her glare. “Get dressed. I’m going by Samson’s to check on the place. When I get back we’ll discuss this in detail. Remember we need to be at Scholar’s office this afternoon too.” Risch headed out the door and Noel headed to her room.

I left without saying my peace to Noel. The last three years have been difficult on both of us. Noel has these new abilities, some call them powers, what ever they are she needs to fully examine their potential and then decide what she is or isn’t going to do with them. I noticed something was different when we started the planetary survey. Noel had a new intimacy with the ship like she never had before. It was like they were one in the same being. This intimacy with the ship seemed to slowly push me out of her life. Then when Sobbash lost the baby. She changed again, she became remote and aloof, I don’t know what to do, I love her and I am trying to let her find her self once again. But these lapses I just don’t know. Yes I do. She has seen something in one of the scans that only she and the onboard computer have seen. It’s shaken her to her very core but she refuses to discuss it with me. She’ll sit in the ship tied into the main AI and you can see are the tears running down her face, but she’s not confiding in anyone. I don’t even think Scholar is aware of what Noel’s seen.

This place that Samson and Sobbash built is a reflection of what they hoped their life together would be. No one knew what the first years would bring. I remember the afternoon Samson rushed Sobbash to the Village. I watched the hot house while Noel was making sweeps of the surface. I think it was on that mission she encountered what ever is disturbing her. Two days later Sobbash lost the child and two weeks later that storm from hell arrived. It was most certainly the worst storm I’ve ever experienced including some of those in space that were millions of kilometers in distance covered. This one was about three kilometers wide and was on the ground for about two hundred and twenty five kilometers. We were in the middle of the track it caught the edge of the Village leveled the power grid and ripped most of the fields to shreds. It spared the village major damage, had its track been to the south a few kilometers, the Village would have been leveled. Samson arrived with the remnants of the crops and spent the next several days, with Sobbash’s help, making a go of it. Those two insured the Village and this island were in food over the course of the winter.

Strange thing was how Noel acted once Nasse brought Saio to this world. At first she ignored her completely then she started to warm ever so slightly towards her. I remember the conversations Noel and I had after Nasse gave birth to Plakia. She seemed interested in having children, of course, that was well before she found out who she really was. Noel approached me out of the blue one evening and asked me if I still wanted children. My answer wasn’t well thought out. I told here since she was the one carrying the passenger, what I though didn’t make a lot of difference. Not one of my better efforts, however it did open up a new topic. I think it was something Noel had been looking for an excuse to discuss. That’s another thing about her since the attunement, she needs to be prompted, almost like a computer, to get her to tell you what’s really on her mind. After a couple of hours, these things I think I know. If she and I decide to reproduce, she wants all of her abilities screened from the child and the gender must be female. I say that because unlike a computer Noel has this infinity to change her mind in mid sentence sometimes. So, Samson’s place seems to be running along in a normal fashion. I’ll head back and speak with Noel.

I don’t want you to think of me as a bad father, but I took advantage of Sobbash’s illness and gave myself some time to me last night. I left Saio in the nursery she had excellent care and it gave me six hours to think about Sobbash’s health without having to keep Saio happy too. Mia was very blunt last night. Sobbash still refuses to take her medicine on a regular basis and these reoccurring infections if left unchecked will leave Saio and I without her one-day I fear. I remember the day I found out she was carrying our child. We were working in the hot house and Sobbash suddenly grew pale and almost collapsed. I carried her back to our cottage and sent for Doctor Sasoum.

The weather was cold and travel wasn’t as nice as it is today. Noel took the shuttle and fetched the Doctor back. After some fluids and an exam, the Doctor announced that we had accomplished our goal. Sobbash was four weeks along, however the placenta wasn’t attached, as the Doctor thought it should be. That’s when we made the first of many trips to the Village. It was confirmed that the placenta wasn’t firmly established. Mia and Doctor Sasoum ran a battery of test and concluded that Sobbash should be able to keep the child until such time it could be delivered and placed in a modified version of an Abh gestation chamber. The embryo was examined and there were no significant abnormalities found.

We were sent home with instructions for Sobbash to take it easy, which lasted forty-eight hours. I found her out back moving a pile of mulch around she looked pale and winded. I took her inside and kept her physically in bed for the next day and a half. Let us say she was not happy about any of this either. The morning of the third day I went to the Village and came back to find her collapsed in the hall. As I was loading her in the hover sled, I noticed the pile of mulch had been moved. Darn you Sobbash! Mia admitted her and confined her to bed for a week. Needless to say she wasn’t happy about that, but her condition continued to improve. She was sent home and instructed not to do anything for another three days. I have to admit, Sobbash followed orders she behaved her self, and it looked as everything was going to be all right.

I remember that morning well it was crisp and cold, I was sitting in the office looking over some notes Paveryua had forwarded to me about expansion of the Hyde fuel depot. I heard Sobbash in the kitchen, and the next thing I heard was her body crashing to the floor. I rushed down the hall to find her lying on her side in a fetal position both of her arms firmly across her middle. She told me she was reaching for a serving plate and lost her balance. She had impacted the floor on her bottom and had rolled on her side trying to get back up. She said when she tried to get back up the pain had her almost losing consciousness. This time I call Risch and Jinto to help me transport Sobbash to the shuttle. As we place her inside she passed out.

Doctor Sasoum had Sobbash in surgery for less than an hour. She came and told me the news none of it was good. Sobbash’s fall and strained the already tenuous connection the baby had to her. There had been more separation to the point Doctor Sasoum had tried to reattach it. She said the child had been without adequate flow from Sobbash. She wasn’t sure of what would happen next. Two days later we lost our son. Sobbash has been blaming her self since. I hold no malice towards Sobbash. Abh women are not taught motherhood. So this was something so new to Sobbash that she figured it would not interfere in her lifestyle. Mia and Doctor Sasoum saved her physically, Nasse has started her on mental recovery, but still there is some rebellious Abh that Sobbash has to deal with or we’ll lose her.

“Good morning Doctor. How is Sobbash this morning?” Mia said as she entered the room. Doctor Sasoum raised her head from the display she was viewing and said. “She’s resting comfortably. I had to go back in last night. I think I got all the damage and scar tissue this time.” Mia’s cup hit the floor, it was empty, another thirty seconds though it would have been full of hot liquid. “Why didn’t you get me?” Mia blurted out. Doctor Sasoum shook her head. “Wasn’t time, her temp started to spike and I initially went to drain the infection, but what I found.” She motioned Mia to the display.

“Oh my, is that?” Doctor Sasoum nodded. It’s the same kind of tumor we removed from Lafiel. I’ve asked Noel to come by. I want you to do a complete work up on her. She’s the last Abh female beside myself on this world. I’ve made an exhaustive scan of myself I don’t find anything wrong but Noel we’ve never gave her a complete work up it’s about time she had one don’t you think?” Mia nodded then said. “If she asks why? What do I tell her?” Doctor Sasoum was blunt. “The truth! We have reason to suspect long-term exposure to this world may cause tumors to form in those females of Abh heritage. Pretty simple and seeing Lafiel’s been here the longest followed by Noel and then Sobbash.”

Mia interrupted her. “What about Spoor and Lafiel’s friend Dai? They have both been on the surface of this world too.” Doctor Sasoum leaned back in her chair then faced Mia. “Well said. We can readily get hold of Spoor and have her checked. However that woman Dai she’s off gallivanting in deep space. Guess we’ll have to wait for her next visit.” With that Mia left the room.

Doctor Sasoum returned to the display and thought. “These women were healthy before the arrived on this world. If the planet has not cause this affliction then I wonder if there is something else they’ve face together, something only they have seen or done. Noel will decide whether I follow that investigative path or not.” Doctor Sasoum darkens the display and leaves the room.

I had finished dressing when mother’s call arrived. I placed it on delay and left the cottage. Risch would be back shortly and I didn’t want to finish our conversation. On my way to the dock I picked up her call. She asked me to come to the Village and submit myself for a physical examination. I was looking for an excuse to leave I told her I’d be there shortly. I took the hover scooter and went to the village. The hover scooter is something I though of, the hover sleds were awkward to maneuver and their energy requirements made then an excellent multi-person, freight cargo carrier. The hover scooter was a two place, in line, lightweight and fast mode of transport. I place my helmet and gloves on, adjusted the windscreens and was off to the Village in a flash. As I crossed the lake Risch’s angry call flashed on the screen. I explained where I was going and why, but it didn’t seem to appease him. He reminded me that he’d be in Scholar’s office shortly after noon and if I knew what was good for me I’d be there as well. I ended the call and slowed the scooter to about ten KPH from the almost sixty I was doing. Even though it was daylight I still had wild life to contend with and the hover scooter was nowhere as rugged as the hover car was. It also gave me precious time to think over everything that had happened today. I’m such an ass at times I really wish I could cure myself of my foot in mouth attitude.

This had the makings of being a really beautiful day. There was a high thin cloud cover, the temperature was mild, and a slight breeze from the northwest completed the day. I set the scooter to three meters height that should give me plenty of time to avoid anything that should stray into my path. I start to think, and reflect on what has happened to me. The trip to the Village was too short, my mind was still sorting things out when I arrived, so instead of reporting to the hospital I went to the square to sit and finish sorting things out. It was there mother found me.

“Noel? Noel?” I gently shook her. She turned and looked at me. “Sorry mother my mind was sorting things. I made it this far and wanted to finish. How long has it been?” I pointed to the clock in the square, Noel gasped; she had been sitting there for almost an hour. Rising to her feet she said. ”I’m sorry mother. I’ve kept Mia waiting all this time.” I placed my hand on her arm. “Slow down Noel, I’ll give you the exam. I’m sure by now Mia’s elsewhere, she’s gotten use to the schedules Abh’s keep. Well at least the ones you and Lafiel keep.” Noel and Doctor Sasoum head towards the Hospital. After the exam, Noel returns to the square, makes note of the time, then zones back to where she was before Doctor Sasoum found her.

Risch arrived at the Village it was about thirty minutes before their meeting with Scholar. He found Noel sitting in the square. A kiss from her prince brought Noel back to Shahrazad. “Hey. Sorry I blasted out of there this morning but.” Risch’s fingers fell across her lips. “It’s okay Noel I wasn’t in much of a mood to go over it again anyway. How’d the exam go?” Risch’s words triggered a look of concern in Noel’s eyes. “The exam went well, the reason behind it scares me though. I’ll let you know I’ve been scanned from the soles of my feet to tips of hair and everything in-between.” Risch looked at her and said. “Why? I figured it was something routine. Did Mia say what she was looking for?” Noel rolled her eyes. “Mother did the exam. I got here and zoned out. She found me and gave me the thorough once over. It’s the reason she did it that.” She takes Risch’s hands in hers looked him in the eye and said. “They removed a tumor out of Sobbash last night. It was a carbon copy of Lafiel’s. Mother and I have come up negative and they’re tracking down Spoor and Dai. If they scan negative then?” Noel shook her head. “Can you think of anywhere Lafiel and Sobbash have been that the rest of us haven’t?” Risch started to answer and his creunoc chime interrupted him. “I’ll give it some thought Noel. Right now we should be on our way to Scholar’s office.” They rose and headed towards the Science Building.

Continued in the next post

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Diaho
Site Administrator

Re: 19_Planetary Life

Post by Diaho »

The ambassador of another group of ‘lost souls’ had just left my office. I have to admit he plead a wonderful case, however the background check of the people he represented left several unanswered questions. After reading him the “Sorry we are unable” phrase I escorted him to the dock and made sure of his safe departure. I guess you would call the island the center of government on this land. Very few outsiders get to see the Village, even those who deal with Seelnay and Nasse, are escorted to a remote location where their offices are located. It was decided early on that only established residence of Shahrazad would have complete access to the village and only those either born on or were of the Sol Eros immigrates to this world could get access to the Council chambers. There is one exception to that rule, myself and those who assist me with the planet have access. That is not a blanket rule either, for example, my brother does not and will never have access to the chambers.

Being Governor of this place is as daunting and as boring as being Empress. It seems my years of training have proven of some use after all. So how do I govern? You might ask. This planet has a governing charter established just after the attunement. It gives me, and to a lesser degree Jinto, the standards and guidelines to govern this world. It’s not a very complex document, however it has one underlying theme. “To maintain the continued growth and safety of the planet Shahrazad.” To that end I have the authority to act without consulting the Council if so needed. However I may not take any hostile action unless I am directly threatened. It’s been three years now and many have tried my patience. I have yet to be driven to violence by any visitor to this world, although Jinto has suffered a few bruises in the past three years. I really wish he’d keep those comments to him self sometimes.

This afternoon the science committee will issue the report on the planet’s survey. I have no idea what is contained in that document, yet Noel’s reactions led me to believe that she and Risch have found something of importance. I have an open afternoon and Jinto will meet me in the Village. If I can, I would like to sit in on that meeting. I see no reason why I would be refused admittance to it either. The time is growing neigh. I secure the complex, grab my helmet and gloves then mounted the other hover scooter. Unlike Noel, I will take my time getting to the Village. I do enjoy the scenery, but not the bugs.

Doctor Sasoum has just left the room. Samson left with her at my request. I was told about last night and my mind needed time to sort everything out. Saio is resting in the bassinet next to my bed. I looked out the window towards the square. Part of me wants get out of this bed, take Saio, and walk outside. I know it’s not the right thing to do, I need to suppress those feelings, and they were part of the reason I lost the baby. I had never been ill a day in my live. Abh’s seldom suffered from illnesses, so my not understanding how my actions could affect the baby’s health till it was too late left me completely devastated. I unknowingly took a life through my Abh stubbornness. It’s the same stubbornness that has put me in this bed. I had not felt well for a couple of days but I said nothing to Samson about it. I don’t take my medicine, as I should, I felt I didn’t need it. I have to re evaluate my life, I want to see Saio grow up, I want to be around for a long time. I need to let go of my stubbornness, before it does me in. I leaned over and kissed Saio on the cheek, and then I asked the nurse to have Samson come to the room. We talked for a brief moment I asked him to take Saio away so I could rest. They leave and I cried myself to sleep.

“Noel?” Scholar’s voice followed by her touch brought me back to the room. “Sorry I was thinking…” Scholar pointed to her office and instructed Risch to remain seated. I followed her into the room sat in the chair that faced her and waited for what was to come. I didn’t have to wait very long either. “Noel I can’t gain access to your ship, the computer refuses to communicate with anyone but you. Could you explain this behavior please?” I sat back in the chair and lowered my defenses. I let Scholar into my mind, into that closely held secret that only the computer and I had seen. “Why didn’t you come to me with this earlier Noel?” I opened my eyes to see Scholar sitting about two meters from me. I had never seen a look such as she had on her face. It almost showed the awe and terror that I was experiencing at the moment. I closed my eyes and let Scholar see the reason I had not said anything till now.

I had left Risch planet side that morning; upon settling into orbit I started a scan of the northern pole. Since the change of position with respect to the pole there was parts of the pole that were now in daylight for more than a few hours at a time. There was a reflection from the surface; at first I though it was ice reflecting the sun, but when I trained the scanner on it my scan was reflected back to the ship. It was at that time I could feel my mind being probed. Instantly I tried to remove my headband from the sensor link. The data crystals would not release. I pulled the headband from my head and passed out. A few moments later I came to and found the ship drifting about the equator. Navigation was off line and the A.I. unit had been disabled. I did a system restart and landed without further incident. After I landed I attempted to restart the A.I. Unit. The first attempt was unsuccessful. The unit would not accept inputs from the console.

There was another way to start the unit. I took my headband and inserted the data crystals into the unit directly, little did I know what I would find; however what I found I would have never expected. The unit initialized and then I was bombarded with intense apprehension, fear, terror, impending doom, depersonalization, and derealization. The data crystals released this time and I found myself with palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating, and shaking uncontrollably. I left the ship and stood on the dock, it took almost an hour to recover enough so I could go back inside. In that time the A.I. unit seemed to have recovered as well. I linked with the unit again and we started a very slow evaluation of what had happened.

Scholar sat with her eyes closed receiving my explanation of the events that transpired that day. She opened her eyes and said. “You know what you experienced don’t you?” I nodded. “They call it a ‘panic attack’ it’s a mental disorder.” Scholar waved her hand and said. “Not so. We know of it as an anxiety attack, a sudden acute episode of intense anxiety and feelings of panic. Not the mental disease you’re equating it with Noel. We need to go to the ship I want you to let it tell me its story. It saw something that you didn’t see. It’s tried related it to you the best it could, but you’re looking at it from one perspective. I’d like to hear it from the ship myself.” She pressed a button on her desk and Erin answered. “Postpone the release of the survey for another three days. There has been some important new data found. There is a very good possibility it will alter the findings.” Erin acknowledges the message and the link closes. “Noel we’ll go out the back way once we are on our way to the ship, you may tell Risch where you are.” Scholar picks up a helmet and goggles and said. “I noticed you rode your hover scooter to the Village. We’ll take it to the ship.” Scholar and Noel leave by the back way and head towards the hover scooter.

Lafiel and Jinto had found Risch sitting in the hall awaiting the reading of the surveys findings. “Where’s Noel?” Lafiel inquired. Risch pointed to the door that lead to the offices and said. “Scholar came and got her about twenty minutes ago, they went that way.” Jinto shook his head. “Lafiel. Didn’t we see Noel and Scholar leaving when we walked in?” Lafiel wanted to agree with Jinto but that’s when LI and Erin approached the podium. “I want to thank you for coming today. However I must ask that you wait another three days for the findings to be read.” Without saying another word she and Li left the room, it was then that Risch’s creunoc flashed. Reading the text message Risch said to Jinto and Lafiel. “Seems Noel and Scholar are off on another one of their adventures. The message says I’m not to expect her back for awhile.”

Risch lowers the device and says. “I need to tell you two something, something important, but this is not the time nor place. Could you come by our place about two hours from now…” Risch paused and then said. “How about I come to your place instead just incase Noel would not be gone as long as she said.” Jinto, who seemed to comprehend Risch’s position said. “Two hours will do nicely we’ll be waiting.” Risch stood and left the room, Lafiel stared at Jinto. “You mind telling me what’s going on. I didn’t understand most of what you two were talking about.” Jinto took her hand and said. “Get on the hover scooter and go home. I’ll explain it all once I get there. I need to find Samson and give him some information to send on to the Depot at Hyde. Then I’ll be right behind you Lafiel.”

They left going their separate ways; this was part of Jinto’s hastily concocted plan not to draw attention to them. He knew if the three of them left together without saying anything to Erin or Li there could be questions asked. On the whole most of the Villagers had complete trust in them, however there were those that always questioned everything. Jinto wanted them not to question a thing this time, and his plan did work too. After talking with Samson, he took the hover car and headed back to the residence. It was there he and Lafiel had a long talk about what Risch had said. “So you two have a code of sorts like Noel and I have?” Jinto nodded. “The same way you two can tell one another of important plans or details in public. Risch and I have a similar system. What ever he’s got to tell us it’s very important and it concerns Noel.” Lafiel chuckled. “You think those two have? Well you know, tried? You think she’s? “ Jinto shook his head. “That’s not the message I’m getting from him. It’s something more sinister than that. Something that only he and Noel know of, well maybe Scholar now knows. Seeing how much Scholar hates hover scooters, she willing got on one Noel was driving and went to who knows where with her.” Lafiel nodded. “That isn’t like Scholar at all.”

Scholar held tightly to Noel as the hover scooter left the Village. It was when Noel slowed that Scholar commented. “I want to get to that ship as soon as possible. Get a move on Noel. Ignore my fear of these things and Fly Captain Fly.” Noel did as she was told and a few minutes later they were moving along at the scooters top speed. Scholar had her head in Noel’s back and her grip had relaxed just a bit. Noel found it easier to breath. They arrived at the ship and Noel said. “Did I sense a little enjoyment the last couple of kilometers Scholar?” Scholar smiled. “Maybe Noel. Maybe. But right now I want to communicate with that ship if you please.” They went inside and powered up the ship.

“Scholar’s gone? She left with Noel Ekuryua on a hover scooter? Incredible, simply incredible.“ Li and Erin stood there looking towards the island as the scribe that had informed them of Scholar’s hasty departure left the room. “I guess we better inform the Council of where Scholar has headed. Li why don’t you do that while I await the onslaught that will certainly be headed our way. That survey report was being anticipated by so many and now it’s delayed once again. Go to the Council, I’ll be here and don’t waste time, I’m sure I’ll be needing your help.” Li left by the side door and met with the Council. As she returned, she found a line had formed outside the door to their office. Slipping back in the way she had left Li helped Erin, over the next four hours, explain their sudden announcement and Scholars sudden departure, which had not gone unnoticed.

The last Villager had left the room Li closed the door and secured it. Turning to Erin she said. “It wasn’t as bad as I figured it would be. We should be going before anyone else comes by, although I do believe all who normally darken our door have been by.” Erin agreed, the strain of this day was showing on her face, as they left the office Erin wondered just what Scholar was up to. What was this new data that Noel must have brought her and why did she wait till now to do it? The walk to her quarters wasn’t that long, once she got there she sat watching the sunset and still trying to make sense of this day, which should have gone off like clock work.

Risch sat sipping the coffee Jinto had poured him. Lafiel sat with a Teel Non the lope floating in the center of the glass. “Noel was scanned? Probed by something on the surface, of this world? And she didn’t say anything about it till now?” Risch sat his cup on the table made eye contact with Lafiel and said. “Exactly, she didn’t tell me, the only reason I know is she accidentally left her Creunoc in stand by mode when she left with Scholar. It recorded their conversation and relayed it with Noel’s message to me later on. I was originally going to tell you of her wild swings in behavior, and my suppositions on what was causing them, but after I realized what had happened and why she didn’t say anything. I decided to tell you this too.” Risch raised his cup and took another sip before he continued. “Her hesitance to tell anyone was something she and ships A.I. had determined over the past months. The only flaw in there thinking is…” Jinto interrupted him. ”Whatever she saw is still there still on the surface of this world and probably is wondering what or who violated it’s space.” Risch raised his cup again and took a long drink. Sitting the cup down he said. “That maybe true Jinto, what bothers me is why we never found it before? Why only after the attunement it mysteriously appeared and what is it?”

Lafiel picked up her drink and downed it in one gulp. Sitting the glass back down she stood and headed towards the door saying this as she was moving. “There is only one way to settle this. I’m going to that ship and if I have to, shake the truth out of her. I can’t believe she wouldn’t tell me something of this importance.” Her steps stopped as the sound of the ship transferring from stand by to operational mode was heard. “She’s done it again! She’s read my mind and has planned a hasty retreat.” Lafiel stood in the door, watched as the ship lifted off and headed in a northerly direction. Banging a clenched fist against the door and cursing under her breath she headed to the communications room. As she expected communications with the ship was being refused however Lafiel could track their movements. The ship made a direct line to the North Polar Region and an hour later landed about two hundred-kilo meters from the pole itself. “They’ve landed the satellite shows there is nothing there but desolation, that should be a cold and completely unforgiving area. Why are they there?” Lafiel said as she tried to get a visual link from the orbiting satellite. All she ended up with was a screen full of static.

“Noel get ready to launch, Lafiel’s on her way here and she has plans that do not fit with ours at the moment.” Scholar said as she finished the link with the ships A.I. unit. “We also need to find your mysterious reflection and try to establish contact with it.” Noel left the dock and without doing the complete checklist blasted off towards the north. “Scholar, there is cold weather gear in the forward compartment. I suggest we use it. The sensors show the outside temperature to be minus thirty-two C. We wouldn’t last very long out there without it.” Once they had landed Noel changed into the cold weather gear, then she made her way to a locker by the ships door. She removed two pair of snowshoes and two laser rifles with six power packs each, handing Scholar one she said. “You know how to use this?” Scholar nodded. “I don’t see the reason to be armed, I don’t believe the reflection to be hostile.” Noel shook her head and said. “I’m not concerned about the reflection. This is polar bear country. They are not use to contact with humans. We are lunch to them. Understand?”

Scholar loaded the rifle and stood behind Noel as she opened the door. They had about three hours before sunset to find their objective, which the sensors said was thirty meters to their west. It was bright and windy outside. Noel activated the locator beacon as she left. This way no matter what happened not only could they find the ship again, but also those on the planet would be aware of its location. A last verification that the ship was monitoring not only their movements but also the movements of anything with in one thousand meters of the ship they set off to the west.

“Had we known the child was defective we would have never put her up for adoption.” Nasse sat stunned. The Minister of Internal Affairs for the planet Saio hailed from had just, as far as she was concerned, squashed any hopes of there being meaningful trade between their world and Shahrazad. Nasse Pratt leaned forward and thanked the Minister and his entourage for visiting Shahrazad, she informed them that their request would be forwarded to the Council for final approval. She escorted them to the departure pad and watched as the shuttle took them to the orbital platform. Once she was free of her duties she stood outside her office and faced the Village. She let the utter repulsion she had for those she had just met leave her lips. Her words, had they been heard, would have cause great concern to anyone hearing them. The sound of Noel and Scholar racing to the north brought her back to reality. What she had heard would be transmitted to the Council, however Samson and Sobbash would never know of that conversation. She gathered her thoughts and cleared her mind. Plakia and the boys would be waiting for her and she didn’t want to bring work home with her. Securing their office Nasse made the walk back to the village. It was nice that it was a one and a half kilo meter walk not only did she get exercise but she also managed to let go the last bit of disdain she was feeling from earlier.

Plakia and Dawn ran towards her as she came into view, Seelnay was close behind. “Mommy!” Plakia exclaimed as she leapt into her mothers waiting arms. “I missed you. How did your day go?” Nasse smiled at Plakia and said. “It was a good day but now I’m ready to spend time with you and your brothers.” She took Plakia’s hand and headed towards the house. Seelnay took Dawn’s hand and followed her. At the door Nasse told Plakia to get her brothers it was then she finally faced Seelnay. Seelnay saw the look in Nasse’s eyes and didn’t ask any questions. She knew when Nasse was ready she’d tell her if she could what she was feeling. “Dinners ready if you’re hungry.” Seelnay said. Nasse nodded and said. “Do we have anything to drink around here? I could use a stiff one about now.” Seelnay nodded. “Before or after dinner?” Nasse shook her head. “After the children are settled. You’ll join me won’t you?” Seelnay, who normally did not drink alcoholic beverages, nodded. “Just one little drink. I have to work in the morning and you’re watching the kids right?” Nasse smiled and said. “Just one drink and yes I’m watching them.” They went inside and had dinner.

Once the children were settled Seelnay and Nasse moved to the front porch of their house. Seelnay had a bottle of light colored liquid and sat it in front of Nasse with two glasses. She poured her self about three fingers worth in the one glass. Nasse pour her glass half full and set the bottle between them. Seelnay proceeded to tell Nasse everything that had transpired during the day, which included the delay of the survey reading and Scholar’s sudden departure on the back of Noel’s hover scooter. Nasse picked up her glass and took a good swallow the light amber liquid made it presence known to her almost immediately it burned for a moment then her eyes started to water.

Looking at the glass she asked Seelnay. “They call this rum you say? I’ll admit it packs a pretty good wallop.” Seelnay picked up the bottle and read the label to Nasse. “One hundred and twenty proof pure saurian rum. The finest product of our brewing arts.” Nasse held her glass to the setting sun the liquid had a pleasing color and was making her feel quite at ease. “So Scholar and Noel went scooter riding eh? That comes no where near to what I experienced today.” Nasse then related to Seelnay how the negations went and what the minister had said about Saio.” Stunned Seelnay raised her glass to her lips and downed it in one gulp. The glass returned to the table as Seelnay sat there gasping for air. “Umm Smooth!” is all she said as she reached for the bottle. Nasse pull it out of her reach. “Only one drink, my dear Seelnay. You are working in the morning remember?”

Nasse took a stern tone as she said to Seelnay. “Now my little chatter box. Samson and Sobbash will never know of this conversation. Right?” Seelnay nodded in agreement. Seelnay rose from the porch, and Nasse watched as she went inside. Making sure the cap was firmly on the bottle Nasse finished her drink and went inside. She found Seelnay on the sofa, helped her to bed and retired for the evening. Sitting on the bed watching Plakia sleep she thought. “Had anyone ever told me defective children, equaled sick children and they should be destroyed instead of nursed back to health. I would have shot them on the spot.” The drink was taking hold, unlike Seelnay, Nasse had a pretty good tolerance to alcoholic beverages, yet this one was affecting her in record time or maybe it was because she hadn’t had to drink in so long. She slept soundly.

The snow stung at their faces, the wind was ebbing and flowing the light powder round them. Even though their target was a mere thirty meters away their forward visibility was about two to three meters at best and just past the end of there noses at worst. Noel held the scanner they had covered half the distance in about twenty minutes. She showed the scanner to Scholar who nodded and pointed in the right direction. Then Noel opened up the range to check. The scanner showed no other life forms in the area. She felt relieved at that, then thought, nothing in its right mind would be caught dead out in this kind of weather, which made her take a second look at what she and Scholar were doing. Scholar tugged at her arm and pointed towards their target. They made their way through the blowing and drifting snow arriving in the general area about thirty minutes later.

There was a shadow in the snow; it looked like a rocky outcrop. Noel knew it would offer some protection from the blowing snow and they headed in that direction. As they got closer the shadow took on the shape of something not natural, less than a meter from it Noel saw an opening a doorway if you like. She and Scholar made their way inside the doorway, once inside, the doorway lead down a small corridor. Noel produced a light and shined it down the corridor what they saw brought them to a sudden stop. Noel raised her scanner and Scholar knocked it to the ground. “No scanning unless you want what happened to you and your ship to happen again.” Noel picked up the scanner and checked it, the fall had done it no damage she returned it to her pocket and said. “You could have said something instead of knocking it out of my hand had this been broken we would be stranded here.” Scholar stood taking in what the light showed. “Shine you light around the room slowly. Be ready to stop when I say to.”

The opening lead down a corridor to a circular room of about ten meters in diameter. Although some snow had made its way to the room for the most part everything was as it had been. The light slowly shined around and what was there brought both of them to the realization they were not the first intelligent life forms on this world, which had established a colony. The light shown off some sort of a console Scholar stopped her arm and moved towards it, right before she reached it a mind numbing sound filled the room. Noel managed to point the scanner towards the opening and press the emergency button before she fell unconscious.

The consoles in the Council Chamber and at the residence sounded the alarm Noel had sent. It was just after midnight when Lafiel finished communications with Li and Erin. “We wait for daylight to go in.” Lafiel said as she pounded the kitchen table. “Conditions at the ship show there is a raging snowstorm. The ship also shows, that for the moment, both Noel and Scholar are alive however they seem unconscious. Why didn’t they take a detail with them? It’s against policy to enter a dangerous situation with that small of a party.” Lafiel looked towards Risch who was sitting next to Jinto slowly shaking his head from side to side. “Noel’s always been impulsive and when she’s around Scholar. She throws what little caution she exercises to the wind. Serves her right what ever happens to them both.” Risch kicks the chair back and leaves the room through the door that leads outside. Lafiel motions to Jinto and said. “You should follow him make sure he doesn’t do anything…” Jinto shook his head. “Risch won’t do anything rash Lafiel. He’s needs time to him self for the moment. When he’s ready He’ll find us again. Also I took the precaution of locking down the other two ships just incase I didn’t read him right.” Sunrise was six hours off, Jinto and Lafiel retired for five of those six hours then took Risch with them to find Scholar and Noel. They lifted off about an hour before sunrise.

I awoke to find Noel lying at my feet. There was a strange light in the room and the temperature was much warmer than I had remembered. Slowly I moved towards Noel she awoke with my touch. “What happened?” She asked. I had no idea, it was then Noel looked at her creunoc and said. “It’s been almost seven hours since…” A quiet hum from the far side of the room stopped her in mid sentence. The lights dimmed and we were mentally addressed, later I found out in our native tongues, by a device that sat against the far wall. “You have been determined to be non hostile, we apologize for rendering you unconscious. You both have telepathic capacity you may communicate in that way.” I placed my finger across Noel’s lips and shook my head. She understood that I would do the talking and sat next to me.

We were about three meters from the device. I believe it was the object I tried to touch earlier. I also know that it was protected with a sensor shield. Anything that approached it without authorization was rendered unconscious or worse. I cleared my mind and asked one simple question. “Who are you?” To my surprise the answer was almost what I’d hoped for. “We are the last guardians of the old ones. Those who inhabited this world four millennium ago.” Noel stared at me, then at the device then sat quietly. “Why have you waited till now to reveal your presence to us?” There was another dimming of the lights and then this response. “We’ve known of your presence from the first days almost forty orbits ago. Until recently there had not been enough power to establish communications with you. Then three orbits ago, the planet returned to a more favorable inclination and the power started to build once again. When the quite one scanned us. We tried to return a greeting but she never responded.”

Noel looked into my eyes and touched my hand. I nodded in agreement and she delivered back to the guardian what she had felt. There was silence in the room, the humming ceased momentarily, and then Noel and I were addressed once again. “Our data was faulty. We never intended to send a message such as that to you. Now we understand why only the two of you have ventured out here. You though us to be hostile and the loss of two was better than the loss of many.” I stood up and Noel came to her feet as well. I moved towards the device. This time I could sense the electronic curtain that protected it. I stopped just short of its influence and said. “We come as individuals seeking the truth. We could have easily aimed the orbital platform and removed you from the surface of this world. That is not how we do business every intelligent life form is equal, and that equality means you get a chance to state your case. We are the ones who intruded on to your world and you could have easily destroyed us as well. I suggest we work together for our common good. You need a more stable power source and we would like to exchange information with you.”

The lights grew brighter you could almost see the entire room. Noel pointed to her creunoc it was sunrise. The device addressed us with a new concern one I knew was coming. “Another ship approaches, this one, its commander is very hostile. You will explain yourself again.” Noel and I locked eyes we knew it was Lafiel. I then addressed the device once more. “She is only hostile because she doesn’t know of our fate that and we didn’t bother to tell her where we were going. If we are allowed communications I can remove the hostilities.” Noel’s Creunoc became active, first thing she did was silence the distress beacon, and then she opened a link to Lafiel. “Lafiel this is Scholar. Noel and I are fine you may land next to our ship but venture no closer is that understood. Become peaceful my child.” Lafiel acknowledge the message and the device said. “That is very strange. The one, who was angry, now shows only concern. You are a very strange race of beings. Almost as strange as the old ones were.” Noel and I spent the next four hours coming to an agreement with the guardian. We left with the understanding that in the spring, we could return and complete our negations. Until then the area around the Guardian was off limits to all who inhabited the planet.

Scholar’s message left me feeling better and her reference to my becoming peaceful meant that we were being scanned, a scan, I must admit I never detected. We landed next to Noel’s ship. Risch went over and checked it out. It was completely operational with one exception The A.I. was not only off line but disconnected from the ships power. For one fleeting moment Risch considered plugging the A.I. back in but decided against it. We later found out that hooking that device back up might have cost us all our lives. It seems that the unit held the Guardian in complete distrust, from the faulty data it was originally fed. After Scholar and Noel spent several hours with it, then and only then was it allowed live access to the central data hub, had it not been straightened out it could have seriously compromised our future negations with the Guardian. Four hours later Noel and Scholar returned to their ship. The trip back was uneventful.

“You mind explaining what happened up there? You realize you broke every protocol we established for first contact?” Lafiel’s words stung at my ears. She was right I disobeyed every safety we had devised, although I’ll admit those were there to keep Lafiel from running off half cocked. I disobeyed them as well, however I was not ready to discuss what had happened. “You’re right Lafiel I disobeyed protocol. As for what happened you’ll wait the three days till the survey is read. Everybody gets to know at once.” I moved my glance to Noel and said. “Three days Noel. You do understand me?” Noel nodded as she wondered off with Risch.

I had Jinto take me back to the Village where I knew I was going to receive more of a grilling from the Council. I was ready for them and several hours later I left them with the understanding that we were going to be better off because of my spur of the moment action. Kim did not take kindly to being left out of the loop but as I explained to him later had I been wrong in my assumptions and gotten everyone’s hopes up just to have them dashed. It was worth the grilling Lafiel and the Council gave me. Spring was five months away. I had five months to shape a new direction for us all.

Mia let me roam the hospital grounds this morning. I had Saio in a carriage she was sleeping as we explored them. Physically, I feel much better today, the pain and nausea of the past week no longer affects me. I’ve been given yet another chance to change my ways, to release myself from the curse my heritage has brought me. The Village has tables with chairs spaced conveniently about it, some with shade, some in the sun; I’ve found one with just the right amount of shade. It is here Saio and I rest. Actually Saio has been resting since I started this walk, it is I who needed to take a pause. The sun feels wonderful, I check Saio to make sure she’s not getting too much of it and I look around me. Abh’s never cared for the surface worlds I must admit I too believed that space was a more preferable place to live. Three years on this world has left me with a completely different opinion. Planets might be limiting, but they also offer a certain comfort, a security that being in a spaceship doesn’t afford one. Also there are some fringe benefits that living on a surface world brings. One of them is a stable gravity source, and then there is the sun, plus this gentle breeze that’s blowing in from the fields.

I’ve discovered something about my fellow Abh something quite interesting. Although doctrine dictated that we all be basically the same, with small, allowed modifications to our genetic structure, we are in fact very different from one another. This became evident the first full summer we spent on this world. In space, with the absence of solar radiation, we all have a uniform pale appearance. Put an Abh in the sun and several different things happen. I must be one of the lucky ones I tanned without burning. Although I did listen to Erin, who suggested I take small steps in the sun, till I figured out how my skin would react. Lafiel, if she remembers sunscreen, tans a little lighter than I do. Poor Noel even though Doctor Sasoum, who tans quite nicely I must admit, is her mother. Our Noel is sun sensitive, very, very sun sensitive. I remember the day very well.

Noel and Risch had just spent three days in orbit working on the planet survey. I had been working with Samson on the hot house. Having spent several hours in the sun it came as no surprise I had quite a tan. With that tan came, tan lines, those places where the clothing prevented the sun from tanning the skin. Samson had wondered into the Village and I decided to tan those spots that showed how pale I really was. After a couple hours in the sun I was sufficiently tanned enough to be happy with my looks. That’s something I’ve noticed since I’ve been on this world. Most of the Villagers are happy no matter how they appear. It’s only us, of Abh heritage, that get upset if we don’t look ‘right’.

Samson returned from the Village as I was working on dinner. Yeah that he’s teaching me to cook. It will be sometime before I can compare to his work but it is fun learning and we are a lot closer because of it. His comment to me was, “too much sun is not a good thing”, but he also complemented me on my appearance. I felt really good inside about that. Then he told me that Jinto and Lafiel along with Noel and Risch would be by and hoped I didn’t mind. Actually I didn’t, I hadn’t spent anytime with them recently and it would be good to have a nice friendly dinner.

The time came, Jinto and Lafiel arrived first, they both commented on my appearance and left it at that, or so I thought. Noel and Risch showed up about ten minutes later, when Noel saw me she stopped in her tracks and pointed. I’m use to Noel being a little outrageous but her comments this time were past her ordinary style. She was, I found out later; extremely jealous of my new look so much so that she went to extraordinary measures the next day, more about that later. After dinner she found me in the kitchen her curiosity was about to get the better of her and she should be lucky it was I she quizzed because Lafiel would have removed her head.

“Sobbash you were naked to tan like that?” Her words didn’t startle me my answer shocked her though. “Only at the last, most of what you see is from working on the hot house.” I went to the dirty clothes and showed Noel what I’d been wearing. It was a shorts and top outfit, which left a lot of me exposed, it also gave me the flexibility and coolness to work around the hot house. Noel’s eyes lit up then she said. “I would not have figured you to wear something as skimpy as that Sobbash. I mean you are a mature woman after all.” She ducked the backhand that was headed her way, and then she scampered out of the room. I stood there fuming, the nerve of that little umm. She’s not that much younger than I am err. Noel, little did I know you were going to get yours and at your own hands too.

It was late in the afternoon Samson and I had finished one of the planting units and I returned to the cottage to relax. Noel’s scream could be heard across the island. I dropped what I was doing and headed towards their place. What I found, even with my years in the Star Forces, made my flesh quiver. Noel was standing very naked and very burnt in front of me. She had burned to the point of blistering on her legs, arms and midsection. When she turned around her back was a blazing blistering red. I took her inside and left her in her kitchen. Rushing back to our place I grabbed some of the burn ointment that Erin had given me in case I had burned. It was a spray and Noel shrieked when I sprayed the back of her legs with it.

It was about that time Lafiel showed up. Once she got a good look at Noel, Lafiel grabbed a hover sled helped me cover Noel with a sheet and made record time to the Village. Mia said Noel had forty percent of her body burned to a second degree. Noel was hospitalized for almost one week. After that she started to peel, itch and was generally miserable for the next three weeks. Noel is what Mia described as: Sensitive light skin, rarely tans, burns more often. Where as I’m classified: Light dark skin, tans more than burns. Lafiel falls in between us she is: Light skin, tans more, and burns equally. After that disaster Noel had some scaring on her legs and back which Mia removed and she now has these freckles, I think they are cute, she doesn’t, they are on top of her shoulders and well a couple of other places, which will remain nameless. They are sun sensitive if she spends too much time unprotected in the sun they darken but during the winter they fade almost to nothing. The other interesting thing is Noel is fair-haired and complexion yet her freckles, when at there best, are a bright red. Risch commented they were Noel’s anger escaping. He might be right. Noel doesn’t tan very well, although tanned she does look like a normal, Noel normal, person. Saio is too young to spend a lot of time in the sun, however her skin seems to resemble my, although… She is my daughter, adopted or not, she is my daughter. Maybe not my flesh and blood but she is my daughter. I’ve tired myself so I return to my room and sleep.

Lafiel and Scholar’s words were still ringing in my ears when Risch and I left Lafiel and Jinto’s place. I went to our cottage and Risch stopped by Samson and Sobbash’s. I walked inside the place seemed familiar and comfortable as before but there was this feeling a feeling I couldn’t quite comprehend. I knew one thing for sure my mind and body were exhausted, although I’d been unconscious for seven hours, the ordeal after that has left me drained. I wonder down the hall to my room, slipped out of my clothes and put on something to sleep in. I never remembered lying down. I would sleep for ten more hours, something I hadn’t done since I was a child.

Saio was growing, although she had just turned one, her size was that of a normal eight month old, the carry sack was becoming too small for her. With the help of one of the Villagers, I’ve constructed a new device to carry Saio in. It resembles a backpack but it is designed to be worn either front or rear facing. This will place the child’s weight across the shoulders instead around the middle as the present device does. There are ties at the bottom corners of the pack to secure it around the middle of the one carrying the child. I’ve tried the device on it seems to be comfortable, I used a melon to simulate Saio being inside, again, it felt very comfortable. Mia is letting Sobbash come home today I’ll bring this with me and see how Sobbash feels about it. Finally it will be good to be back home and to be a family once again.

Arriving at the hospital I first collect Sobbash then we pick Saio up at the nursery. We find a table near the square and I fit the device on Sobbash and slip Saio inside. Immediately I see a problem I hadn’t accounted for. Saio is not round like a melon she has arms and legs that when she was horizontal in the carry sack would naturally find there own place. Now that she was vertical there was nowhere for them to go, she became a very upset bundle in the bottom of the pack.

Sobbash removed her from the device and I removed the device from Sobbash. Then Sobbash placed Saio on her shoulder and I saw the error in my design. Saio’s arms naturally fell across the top of Sobbash’s shoulders and her legs made a gentle U shape a cross her chest. I paused for a moment then asked Sobbash if she would be comfortable sitting here while I went to the Villager who had helped with this device. Sobbash told me not to be very long and I was off in a flash.

I returned about fifteen minutes later with a modified prototype carry pack. It had leg holes in the bottom and arm holes about two thirds of the way up. I shortened the length of the device as well so Saio’s head would peek out of the top. I held it in front of Sobbash for her opinion. Saio was asleep in her lap. She took the device held it up and gave it an examination. She made two suggestions that actually were perfect on reflection; one was to place cushioning around the arm and leg holes so the fabric wouldn’t chaff Saio’s skin. The last was to affix a flap at the top so if the sun or weather got bad you could place it over the top opening. I was off again and about twenty minutes later we were sliding Saio in her new travel device. I have to admit she fit nicely and never made a fuss the rest of the day. Sobbash felt good about it too, all she had to do was glance down to see Saio. Before that she had to root around in the carry sack, which usually woke Saio. This invention might be one of the best yet. Coincidently today was also the day the planet survey was to be read Sobbash and I made our way to the village square and then to the Science Building. The building was packed, so we took a spot along the large windows that faced the square. We could see Erin and Li from there and the sound system flooded the area with their words.

The first part of the survey was fairly routine stuff, planet mass, gas composition, percent of land and water, length of our day and orbit. They started into the boring to most, interesting to us, discussion of the planets soil composition, moisture content, and nutrient values. That went on for another twenty minutes. Then Scholar and Noel moved to the podium. The main display in the room came active along with the two on the side of the building. It was here that the ‘Changes to Shahrazad’ were made public. The change in axis tilt came as no surprise to Sobbash and I. We had noticed subtle changes in moss patterns on the trees, indicating the sun was now striking them at a different angle than before. The view changed showing the new sun illumination patterns; again this was no surprise to Sobbash and I we had figured that out already. Scholar’s next statement brought an immediate hush to the building.

“We are not alone on this world. There is intelligent life in the Northern Polar Region. This life although mechanical in scope is the last outpost of living beings who left this world almost four thousand orbits ago.” She went on to explain their encounter with the Guardian and the information gleaned while they were there. Then Scholar said. “We have an agreement to return to them in the spring to finish what Noel and I started three days ago. However I must tell you all part of our agreement is that there will be no scanning or expeditions launched in that area until the next negations have been completed. That area is now officially off limits.” The room fell silent then a small stirring was heard. We saw Jinto and Lafiel get up and leave the room. Risch followed them. Sobbash and I intercepted them at the main entrance.

Sobbash and I have been around Jinto and Lafiel for the better part of fifteen years. We’ve seen highs, lows, happiness, sadness and anger, however I must admit the initial reaction that they both had upon their faces didn’t fit the information they had been presented. They were in shock, almost denial, it was as if Scholar had deceived them somehow. Sobbash went to speak to Lafiel, she turned and walked away like she wasn’t there. Jinto looked at us he noticed the carry pack and then said. “That news has hit her pretty hard, give her a couple of days. I’m glad to see you’re up and moving about Sobbash. That’s an interesting device you’re wearing. Come by in a couple of days and we’ll talk about it.” Jinto turned and followed Lafiel who was now in full stride heading towards their hover car. Sobbash shook her head and looked me in the eye. “This is not going to go well. I think we should go home before anything else happens. This is not going to be a happy place.” I turned to find Risch standing behind me. Our eyes met and he said. “Can I come by later? I need some friendly people to talk to. This isn’t a friendly environment at the moment.” I nodded and Risch walked away. Before we left I looked inside once again, the Council and the public were quizzing Noel and Scholar. Even though the sound system was off it was plain to see that the questions were not simple ones.

We made our way to the hover sled. Sobbash sat next to me as we ventured home. It was late afternoon the day was cool and a bit cloudy I wasn’t in a big hurry to get home and neither was Sobbash. We took in the scenery on our way this time of year the trees with leaves were beginning to change colors although it would be another month till the colors were at their best we could see some changes starting already. Twice I started to get Sobbash’s opinion of what had just transpired. She sat quietly next to me looking about and generally not wanting to get into a long conversation. I respected her effort and left the topic open for discussion when she felt ready. The lake loomed ahead and we could see the hover car parked at the dock. It was that afternoon that I decided to build one more hover car. We were becoming a family now and having to share one car among six was becoming a problem that I didn’t want to deal with any longer.

“Blue.” Sobbash said suddenly. I looked at her without thinking and said. “Blue. What’s blue?” She smiled. “I want the car blue with a grey interior and you’ll teach me how to drive it too.” I parked the sled on the dock and we made our way to our cottage. It was nice to be home, it was nice for all of us to be home. However I knew it wasn’t going to be a quiet evening. Sobbash fed and changed Saio, then placed her in her bed and we had a quite dinner. Risch showed up about an hour later.

The flurry of questions had finally subsided. Most of the Council had left the Science Building. Scholar and I stood completely drained. We couldn’t have answered another question coherently if our lives had depended on it. It wasn’t that far to her office, which was a good thing because we barely made it there. I collapsed in a chair by the window and Scholar sat before the array. “Thank you Noel for standing with me. I had no idea how bad this was going to be because if I had I wouldn’t have let you endure it.” I opened my eyes and tried to focus on Scholar she was deep in thought so I communicated my thoughts directly. Actually my voice was about gone too many questions, too much talking. “It’s amazing how many different ways you can pose the same question. Do you really think they understood what we’ve found?” Scholar smiled and said. “No I don’t think they understand the magnitude of our discovery. I’m still having trouble understanding what we’ve learned. Those who were here before us, they created a towering civilization to just abandon it as it was reaching its pinnacle is mind boggling don’t you think?” Scholar was right about one thing my mind was boggled. I never answered the question that evening. The next thing I remember daylight was entering the room and nature was calling, loudly.

Our ride home from the Village was extremely quiet. Lafiel sat next to me secured in the seat harness, her arms across her chest, the vent blowing air in her face, her eyes close and not saying one word. I accelerated to top speed as I left the village and again not one word was said. We arrived at the dock Lafiel unlatched her harness, kicked the door opened, and headed towards the cottage with the same intensity as she had left the Science Building with. I secured the hover car checked on the rest of the items on the dock and headed for our home. The back door was standing open and the office door was shut, it bore Lafiel’s now infamous ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign. I went outside and sat at the table. This was going to be a solo sunset tonight, after that I’ll make dinner and see if Lafiel’s amenable to that. Hues of red and blue shown from this sunset, it’s beauty Lafiel would have enjoyed. I turn my creunoc and captured the image, which doesn’t do justice to the view my eyes are partaking, but at least I’ll be able to give her an example of what she missed.

Dinner will be a simple affair I’m not really hungry and I’m sure Lafiel will snub her nose at anything place before her. I’ve seen this mood before; it’s her way of dealing with not being completely in charge. I’m sure her mind is convinced that Scholar and Noel left her out of the loop on purpose, that is something Lafiel doesn’t take well and was probably the reason that Noel and Scholar didn’t say anything to her. Lafiel still has to be ‘in charge’ it’s something she’ll never be able to completely suppress. It is the reason she’s in that room now trying to deal with being relegated to a supporting role instead of the lead.

I tapped the door and announced that I had dinner. To my surprise Lafiel came and opened the door, she took the tray, thanked me for the meal and shut the door again this time she didn’t set the lock. I left the hall and went to the kitchen to finish my meal. After eating I headed to my room, the light coming out of Lafiel’s offices open door stopped me. I slowly stuck my head in the door and she said. “That was a good meal Jinto, I’m sorry I missed the sunset but I’ve been busy. Could you take the tray and leave the door open? I’ll be awhile so don’t wait up for me.” I moved towards her desk to get the tray. I couldn’t help but notice the books opened upon her desk, she was studying the protocol with regards to first contact. I decided not to inquire; when she was ready I’d be the first one to know. I took the tray and left the room. After I cleaned up her dinner dishes, I went to my room, looked over the daily dispatches from the Hyde Depot and went to sleep.

I left Samson’s early. Sobbash and Saio were beginning to show the length of the day and I felt awkward staying any longer. I made the walk back to our cottage to find it empty, that didn’t surprise me either. Noel has this habit of coming and going at her leisure and being gone half to all of the night wasn’t unusual for her. Sobbash’s dinner was simple but not filling. I found myself standing in front of the food dispenser, Noel doesn’t cook and I barely manage. It was a lamb dish but the processed food doesn’t have the flavor of something made by hand. I consume most of the meal, the rest I placed in a storage container and placed that in the cold storage unit. It’s well past midnight and Noel hasn’t shown up. I head to bed and fall into a light sleep.

This was a restless night I just spent. Along with Li and the Council we really grilled Scholar and Noel. Their finding was appreciated by most of those present; however, I understand the great importance of it. This planet was inhabited by a race not native to this world just as we of the Village inhabited Sol–Eros. I’m in awe of what Scholar said, the ‘old ones’ were on the pinnacle of a great achievement then suddenly they vanished. The Guardian couldn’t answer that question. Scholar believed the answer lies somewhere inside the massive complex that the Guardian inhabits. She also theorized that the complex was operating at a fraction of its capacity, their power sources output was extremely low. I’ll meet with Li and Kim later today I believe they should have a greater understanding of Scholar’s discovery. Right now I’m heading for the Hospital it’s time for my yearly check up. I feel fine, but it’s a mandatory check up, a precaution that I believe is warranted. After my check up I’ll get together with Li and Kim, the sky is clearing after the early morning showers it’s looking to be a wonderful day.

“Mommy. The rain stopped, can we go out and play?” Plakia tugged at my apron, I looked outside the shower was over and most of the water had soaked into the soil. “Wait just a bit longer Plakia and we’ll all go to the play area okay?” Her answer was her running down the hall to get Dawn. A moment later they both stood waiting for me to finish the dishes and take them outside. Seelnay left early this morning a little earlier than usual too. She had received a message from an old friend from Febdash, another one of her friends had succumb to the former Barron’s unlawful experiments. It left her wanting to be alone we had a light schedule at the office today. Our first appointment wasn’t till afternoon. Seelnay left before seven I’ll check in on her after I take the girls to play. The boys went to school about twenty minutes ago, they are doing well. I think they’ll find opportunities abound on this world, unlike Deltoke, where they would just be cogs in a massively corrupt system; here they can be responsible productive citizens.

I finish the dishes and take the girls outside; we spend about an hour at the play area then pay Seelnay a surprise visit. I must admit Seelnay was happy to see us especially Dawn. I told her if she wished I would trade places with her and she could take the girls home. She said that wouldn’t be necessary after the appointment she was going for her yearly check up and it would be easier if she were alone. We left just as the shuttle was arriving and made our way back to the house. I must give Dawn credit she never once asked to be carried although we had spent a lot of time on our feet. I believe Seelnay’s little girl is growing up. All of the exercise made the afternoon naps a breeze I managed to get about a half - hour one as well. Seelnay arrived shortly before dinner her mood was good.

I don’t know if Lafiel slept last night. I awoke late found her office empty and neatly arranged. Her helmet and gloves along with her hover scooter were gone. She failed to leave me a note, which meant she left in a hurry. I don’t remember her having any early appointments so I’ll assume she went to the Council to discuss what ever she spent all night studying. I read the early morning dispatches from the Hyde Depot, Marca and Atosuryua had left the depot; they will be here in two days. Marca was the one of the rebels from Clasbul that rescued Lafiel and I, as a reward she and her group were allowed to be merchants, well sort of, as with anything the Abh do the Abh have to be in control, so the four of them rode along and got very rich. Nimh went back to Clasbul about seven years ago, Marca followed six months later. The other two transferred to a different unit, they were in the first transport destroyed at Palum in 958. Lafiel and Marca had kept in contact and when we needed experienced pilots she readily came to us.

There is a saying on my world; you keep your friends close to you and your enemies a little closer. Atosuryua falls in-between the friend and enemy category. When Samson and Sobbash returned to the Hyde Depot they found her there. She had just resigned from the Star Forces and had no inclination of returning to Febdash. Atosuryua tried a coupled of months living on this world, it proved too boring for her. She resides on the orbital platform and serves as Marca’s second in command on the transport we use for trade. Life on the platform is at a faster pace, which suits Atosuryua perfectly, that and there are two people she’d rather steer clear of on this world, those two being Seelnay and Lafiel. Seelnay still holds hostility towards her because of what her brother did and Lafiel doesn’t trust her as far as she could throw her, so that’s why she’s Marca’s “Second in Command.”

The twelve planets that we have trading agreements with lie in a straight line between Shahrazad and Martine, well about as straight as the Sord network will allow. This planet is a raw material supplier, for the most part, what we receive back is finished goods or building materials. I’m fairly sure we’ll never have any heavy industry on this planet. We live a comfortable, yet simple, as compared to the rest of this star system, life. When Lafiel and I first set foot on this world five years ago, if you told me we’d be where we are today, I wouldn’t have been able to suppress my laughter. But here we are, Lafiel is no longer roaming the galaxy and I’m no longer worrying if we will see another sunrise. Planetary Life, it does have some advantages and some disadvantages, as we are about to see.

To be continued in “The Guardian.”

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."