20_The Guardian

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

20_The Guardian

Post by Diaho »

The Guardian

On the whole this winter was better than the last one, but still not as mild as before the attunement. I made my point with the Council and Scholar agreed. I will be going with Noel and Scholar when they visit the Guardian. That will be in a week or so weather permitting. I just finished a conversation with Dai too. This patrol is running longer than she anticipated and instead of arriving today it will be another three or four more weeks. Although I’m disappointed it was good to hear from her and to know Duhiel is well. I don’t mind communicating through Dai, I know if word of Duhiel and I ever having direct contact, reached the wrong ears, his chances of sitting on the Jade Throne would be nil. It’s part of my punishment, my life sentence handed down by the Grand Council of the Abh. The ruling majority within the Empire, that bunch of self - centered hypocrites! I must stop, my temper will get the better of me and I’m not going to let that bunch ruin my life here.

On my desk sits a report from Mia, for the most part the contents of this report are all good news. The population on the whole is very healthy, with a few exceptions, the most notable is, was, Sobbash. I hadn’t known that a tumor similar to mine had been removed from her till I read the report. I’m examining my options because the addendum attached from Mia and Doctor Sasoum states that only Sobbash and I have suffered from this abnormality. Everyone else that has been planet side, except for Dai who hasn’t been checked, is tumor free. I wonder why only Sobbash and I have been afflicted. Where were we at or what did we do that would have exposed us to? That’s the other unanswered question. This type of tumor is very rare, the medical staff has ruled out it being a result of the gestation chamber or any of the tinkering that we Abh do to our young. Not knowing how or where it came from, what we were exposed to, ate or drank, it’s difficult to tell. Mia has asked that, sometime soon, Sobbash and I sit down and compare notes about the places we’ve been and the things we’ve done. Sobbash has had a good winter, Saio is trying to walk and she has her hands full at the moment. However Mia’s note does express urgency in it. I’ll give it a try after we visit the Guardian and before Dai arrives.

Saio’s efforts at walking left Samson and I making some drastic changes in the placement of things in this cottage. First off I’ve moved anything, which could be sampled by mouth, to a place of safety. Then anything that was easily movable was placed in a room that is off limits to Miss Saio. I’m standing in the kitchen cleaning up after breakfast. Saio is along side my right leg, standing and holding tight to my slacks. Her face bears the example of her sampling; I lean over, take a wet cloth and find her smiling face. My nose has also detected that Saio needs a change of scenery. We make our way to her room and after a visit to the changing table she is back at my side while I finish the dishes.

Samson and Saio bonded early on; I remember one evening right after the hover car was finished. I had returned from the Village after a check up and I found both of them asleep on the floor. Saio was curled up on Samson’s chest the two of them were oblivious to anything that was happening around them. I captured the image and covered them up. Samson’s nose woke him to not only the smell of dinner but Saio had also announced that she needed changing. I heard their stirring and removed Saio from Samson’s chest, changed her and placed her in the high chair at the table. We had an interesting dinner that night, half way through it I showed Samson the image I had captured and he spent the rest of the evening chuckling over it. That image now sits on his desk, as a constant reminder of how much Saio and I need him.

There is one other thing I’ve grown to accept, even though I’m older than Samson is, I’m Abh. I’ll live to be around two hundred years of age or older. That means not only will I outlive Samson I’ll probably outlive Saio as well. Samson and I have discussed this subject at length when the time comes Saio and I will discuss it too. I hope she’ll still love me even though I’ll not change in physical appearance while she’ll grow old and change in appearance. I understand why Abh’s never get into long term relationships with non Abh’s, however for the first time in my life, I really care about Samson and Saio and I’ll be here for them for the rest of their lives.

Saio released my leg and stood on her own, her little hands reaching for mine. With wet fingers I reached for her and brought her to my chest, she buried her head and gurgled, one moment later she was asleep. I took her to her room and placed her in her bed. Making sure she was comfortable I returned to the kitchen and finished my cleaning.

Half of me is dreading the weeks that lie ahead and part of me is in wonder over them. Risch now knows what I saw he’s been an excellent source of comfort this winter. Not saying I’ve been a hermit, but I’ve not ventured out of this cottage as much as I normally would. The initial survey is accomplished, when the weather gets better and we’ve had our visit with the Guardian. I’ll start exploring the local territory, the area between the mountains to the west and the ocean that lies to the east. The surrounding area encompasses about three thousand square kilometers, at least that’s the area I’ll visually survey.

The continental plate extends from almost the Northern Polar Region to well south of the equator, it was decided that the satellites would make the initial sweeps of that area. Then any abnormalities would be checked out in person, that’s Risch and me, if he feels he wants to come along. The only reason two of us did the work in space; it was easier for one to scan and one to fly. On the surface one person can check out an unusual observance, unless it’s something like the Guardian was, then… You now know why I have a bit of apprehension about venturing off alone. The season is changing the days are getting warm enough to enjoy the hot tub once again, I’ll survive I do believe.

I’m convinced if Lafiel Lynn had been a Scholar, like myself, I wouldn’t have wanted to face her. She took the documents we carefully crafted and blew gapping holes within them. She’s going on the expedition to visit the Guardian and thanks to her the Council and I sealed some of the holes she found. It will be almost imposable for the next person to turn the governing document against us again. I’ve spent this winter going over the old star charts, scanning the surrounding area and trying to find a correlating point. Samson was correct, it seems every race had a built in error in their charting systems. Something that if the wrong party got there hands on them they couldn’t make sense from them. I do believe I’ve found the place we all are looking for. It will not be a short journey I figure about sixty years using sub light technology.

We’ve been approached by a race that has Faster Than Light Speed technology, however it is not been tested and no one knows if it would be safe for life forms to use. That is, if it works at all. We also have to be careful in talking with this race as the Abh have labeled them a menace, to that end communications with them could be cause for Imperial action. Even though we are an independent system, we still are located with in the sphere of Abh influence. Shahrazad could not defeat the smallest training squadron if they should arrive and try to take over this world; the Abh’s have found the flaw in their AI’s that allowed us earlier to render them useless. That is why we try to keep a low profile, stay off the Imperial radar, so to speak. This afternoon I’ll meet with the Council and finalize our plans for the trip to the Guardian. If all goes according to the original agreement the Guardian should contact us with in the next week.

Arisa left the house shortly before dawn. She had brought me the plans and data for the F.T.L.S. device; I’ve reviewed those plans and will give them to Scholar later today. On the whole their technology is far superior to anything I’ve seen before. If this device actually works we would be literally light years ahead of the Abh. No wonder they labeled this race a menace. Should this be perfected for normal use, a fleet of warships could go anywhere and do anything faster that any Abh fleet ever could. This device, perfected, in the wrong hands, would alter the balance of power in the known universe. Nasse has the girls today, I’ll kiss Dawn goodbye and find Scholar. Waiting to deliver this data is giving me the creeps. I’d rather it was safely in Scholar’s possession than mine.

As I exited the shower Noel informed me that Scholar had requested my presence at the Science Building as soon as I could get there. I dressed and kissed Noel goodbye. On my way to the dock I spotted Samson leaving and heading my way, he too had been summoned to the Science Building. We took the first hover car and left the island. Samson called Sobbash and told her the ‘blue’ car was sitting if she should need it. We made good time getting to the Village.

The scribe showed us to Scholar’s office when we entered we found Seelnay and Scholar pouring over a table full of documents. “Close the door and come over here.” Scholar said. We approached the table and Samson stopped short. “I see that the Suran have been here.” Scholar looked him in the eye and said. “They were curious if we had any Midgradians on this world. Are you two acquainted with one another?” Samson nodded. “Those little smart asses have been peddling F.T.L.S. technology for the last hundred years.” He approached the table and viewed the data. This time his eyes lit up and he said. “Dang looks like they finally stumbled on something of substance this time.”

I stood beside Samson looking at the data as well; it was a common belief that Faster Than Light Speed was not an achievable goal yet here before my eyes were equations that would leave one to believe not only was it possible but this race had a working prototype. I tapped Samson on the shoulder and asked. ”If this works why do we have it? I mean why didn’t they perfect it?” Samson chuckled. “Never met a Suran before have you?” I shook my head and Samson continued. “They are brilliant, but lazy, if they can do it with their minds and simple tools then they do it. If it’s the complexity of a device like this they’ll do the brain work and find some other race to do their grunt work for them.” Samson then looked Scholar in the eye and asked. “I’ll assume you dragged us over here to tell you whether this thing will work or not? Am I correct?” Scholar nodded and then said. “Can you build this prototype? Do we have the raw materials to do it?”

Before Samson could say anything I had one thing to say. “If this device works and the Empire finds out we have it…” Scholar cut me off. She knew what I was going to say and finished my thoughts. “This device could start an incident which could threaten our very existence. I’m well aware of that fact Risch, but thank you for bringing it out into the open.” She then looked at the three of us and said. “I think I’ve found Sol. By normal travel it will take about sixty years to get there. If this device works, even if we as life forms can’t use it, we could send a probe to that area and have it relay the information back to us. If we have found the source then we could decide if exploration by life forms is necessary or not.”

I knew Scholar had been working on something over the winter. There were times she and Noel would spend hours talking, I figured it concerned the Guardian, but it looks like Scholar was using Noel’s knowledge of current star charts and had her help in finding the source. Now I understand, there were things Noel said in her sleep that didn’t make any sense till now. I felt Scholar’s hand on my shoulder she spoke frankly to me. “Noel is not to know of this conversation. Should she find out I’m sure she’d find a way to either go it alone or die trying. There is too much of the explorer in her, it over rides her common sense and her self-preservation instincts. I’ll not be responsible for her untimely demise.” Although Scholar’s words were scarily true, her intentions brought some comfort to my being.

I’m spoiled and I’ll be the first one to admit that fact. Living with Risch, I’ve got most of the comforts I would have aboard ship and a few extras things that only a surface world can offer. That’s the problem, the Village, this complex on the island they are all technological marvels. We are so dependent on modern conveniences that if the power grid should fail, we’d all go crazy. There is one example of a failure it was after that monster storm almost three years ago. If it had not been for the backup systems the Village might have plunged into chaos. Since that storm improvements have been made here and in the Village. We no longer depend solely on the reactor. We’ve imported solar panels and wind generators. They are placed along the perimeter of the Village and on the high spots of the island. That gives us a separate power grid and more power than we’ll ever use.

So how do we afford this you ask? Well I’ll try to explain. We are traders in the purest sense of the word. Money has meaning in this world but goods carry the most weight. Shahrazad has vast forested lands we have used the overage for trade. I’ll explain overage; in the grand scheme of things there is always too much timber for the land to support. We use selective clearing and undergrowth removal to maintain a healthy forest. As I said earlier this planet has a wealth of natural resources we have just scratched the surface and the care we are taking will insure centuries from now there will still be lots of trees. The Village has more acreage in planting than is needed for the community to survive. That extra we export usually in trade for finished goods. However I’ve always wondered what roughing would be like, going into the wild with just the bare necessities to survive. Samson tells of how the first Midgradians lived in huts and tepees. They had very little and used only what they needed. I wonder how that life would be, then again roughing it for me is doing without my hot tub over the winter months. I’ll admit it I’m spoiled very spoiled indeed.

With children come accidents it’s a natural occurrence and most of the time it’s a bump, bruise, or scrap. I heard the glass break and Plakia’s scream. I went dashing down the hall to find Plakia coming at me splattered with blood. As I looked her over she screamed. “It’s Dawn mommy not me!” I went into the room and found her in a puddle of blood her right arm badly sliced. I applied pressure to the wound but the blood still oozed out. I picked her up and told Plakia to follow. We made the mad dash across the square to the Hospital. Mia took her from me and I contacted Seelnay, little did I know Seelnay was in the Science Building just across from the Hospital. I no more finished the call and she rushed in the doors. Getting Dawn to medical attention took precedent over figuring out what happened and of course Seelnay’s first question was. “What happened?”

Plakia stood stiff and then said. “It was my fault. I told her to reach for the mirror. I didn’t know it would fall on her.” Seelnay had a freestanding full-length mirror that sat in her room. Most of the time she secured it before she left, however this morning she left a little distracted and forgot to secure it. Dawn and Plakia were playing dress up and looking in the mirror. I’ll guess it was not pointed level so Plakia suggested Dawn move it. That mirror, when moved from the top, moves well, however Dawn grabbed it mid way it tilted and fell on her. She’s lucky all she has is a sliced arm that mirrors weights more than both girls put together. Seelnay bent down and faced Plakia she extended her arms and took my crying daughter into them. “It’s okay Plakia. I didn’t place the mirror where you and Dawn could us it. Next time you find something like that ask a grown up to help okay?” Plakia through her sobs said she would.

It was then Mia entered the room and said. “She’s a lucky little girl. She has Nasse to thank too. Your quick thinking made a big difference.” Seelnay stood and faced Mia. “She’s fine then?” Mia nodded. “Give her a couple of days rest and she’ll be alright. She’s lost a bit of blood and her arm is freshly set. She’ll need to take it easy for the next week or so.”

Seelnay stood shaking, it all hit her at once, her carelessness had almost, she though about Ku and grew even paler. I took her in my arms and said. “Don’t equate the two events Seelnay. Don’t beat yourself up, for Dawn’s sake, I ask you not to.” Mia took Seelnay to see Dawn; I sat and explained as best I could to Plakia what had happened. As I figured she was blaming herself as much as Seelnay was blaming herself. I got Plakia straightened out, now I hope Seelnay comes around as well.

Mia opened the door and before me was my daughter, she was lying on her back, her right arm bandaged, her left attached to a board an I.V. inserted in the back of her hand. I moved towards the bed and she opened her eyes, the minute she saw me the tears flowed and she said. “Mommy, I broke your mirror. I’m so sorry.” I bent over and kissed her forehead. “It’s alright honey. The mirror can be replaced, you can not.” I wanted to take her in my arms but her injuries prevented me from doing it at that moment, however, later, we had a good cry together. I told her to rest and followed Mia to her office.

The file was opened on her desk the image I saw stopped me in my tracks. That growth is what had killed my last friend. I reached for the file and Mia snatched off the desk. “What do you think you are doing Seelnay? Those are confidential files.” I took my scanner out of my pocket thumbed through the images stored in it. I reached the one I wanted and showed it to Mia. “Want to compare notes?” Mia looked at the image her eyes widened and she said. “Where do you get this from?” I sat Mia down and explained the Barron of Febdash to her, as I finished she handed me the folder the name on it was Lafiel Lynn. I didn’t have to open it again. I explained that Lafiel had been to Febdash before and had been in the company of the Barron. I also told her how the Barron died.

Mia sat back in her chair I had left her completely aghast, and then she asked how the Barron delivered his poison. I told her I wasn’t sure that no one was sure because only certain individuals had been affected. There was one outstanding similarity all affected were female. I then explained that there were no other males in the housekeeping staff at Febdash. Mai raised and eyebrow and said. “Fifty plus women and one male? I find that truly disgusting.” Then she took a more serious note. “Seelnay how long were you there, I mean at Febdash?” I told her about fifteen years and inquired why? Mia slid another folder out of her desk and handed it to me. “Have a look at this one.” She said. I opened the folder and dropped it to the desk. There was another image, this one much bigger than the first one. I checked the nametag and gasped, Sobbash. Mia took the folder from my hand, set it upon her desk and asked. “Was Sobbash ever on Febdash?” I didn’t know and I told Mia so. Then came the question I was dreading. “Why isn’t this information in the Imperial medical data base?”

I explained how the Former Barron spent the rest of his life trying not only to undo what his son had done but also trying to keep the family name clear. I then told Mia about the Baroness of Febdash, this too raised an eyebrow with Mia. “So Atosuryua is the Barron’s sister and until recently a member of the Abh Star Forces?” I nodded and continued. I explained how the Baroness had tried to push Lafiel to the throne and how she’d tried to derail her when she changed paths. Mia took everything in I had said, she pondered the facts and said. “This discussion stays here, I’ve asked Lafiel to compare notes with Sobbash. Should that not bring forth the information I think it should then I will talk with Sobbash.” I protested loudly and told Mia that I would be better equipped to question Sobbash than she would. After some more reflection Mia agreed. I left her office with several different feelings. I put all of those all aside and went to see Dawn, I found her sleeping and put a chair next to her bed, that is where Nasse later found me.

“Interesting.” Doctor Sasoum said as she pushed back from her desk, stood and faced Mia. “There were always rumors of something going on at Febdash, but since it was such an out of the way place we never followed up on them.” The Doctor started towards the door, stopped and faced me. “You think I should bring Atosuryua here and talk to her?” I shook my head and said. “You didn’t listen to me. Seelnay is convinced that Atosuryua had no knowledge of the happenings on Febdash. I’ve crossed checked their databases. She was on duty, on the other side of the galaxy, while her brother was experimenting with those women. All you’ll do is upset her and since she’s one of Lafiel’s people, you know you’d have to get her permission first. I seriously doubt Lafiel will let you grill her either, seeing, according to Seelnay, she been thoroughly grilled already.” The Doctor returned to her desk and sat down. She pointed me to the door and said. “Very well it’s your hospital and they are our patients, now that we know where Lafiel got her affliction at, and if the same holds true for Sobbash. Then we need to see the records of what the Barron did.” She raised her eyes to mine and continued. “I’m convinced that this isn’t the last time Lafiel will suffer from what ever the Barron gave her.” Doctor Sasoum was correct in her statement, there is always a possibility of the tumor returning, if we only knew what the triggering method was then, we could halt the process. I nodded and left the room. I made my way to Scholar’s she had to be aware of what I knew too.

Lafiel and I had breakfast she told me Dai wouldn’t be here for another couple of weeks, then she handed me the medical file and pointed out Sobbash’s affliction. I read the file and looked at Lafiel. “How did she end up?” Lafiel shook her head. “I haven’t the foggiest idea Jinto. Mia wants me to discuss where we have been and see if there is some common occurrence that…” Lafiel stopped, rose from the table, and went to the master computer console. She spent a few moments searching the Imperial database and then she left the room on her way out of the house she said. “I’ll be at Sobbash’s if you need me and after that I’m going to see Scholar.” Lafiel grabbed her jacket and was out the door.

After she left I went to the console. Lafiel had left it on, displayed on the screen was a search of destinations, one of those was Febdash, and it showed that Sobbash had been there six months before Lafiel and I had. I cleared the results and shut down the unit. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, I never really knew the Barron, Lafiel never completely told me what happened from the time we were separated, until she rescued the Former Barron and I. When she’s ready she’ll tell me what she is thinking, I hope. I finished breakfast cleaned up the dishes and started on my daily routine, governing Martine from exile. Paveryua’s daily reports gave me an overview of what was happening system wide. Presently everything was running smoothly, which was good, because everything here was about to go topsy-turvy and in a big way.

“Mother you knew about this and never mentioned it to me?” I stood looking at Scholar it seems that Seelnay had confessed some of what she told me to her, however when I finished filling in the information that I now knew, my mothers disposition took a marked change to the worse. “He experimented with how many women and to what end were these experimentations?” I told mother that nearly half of those fifty women had died some kind of horrible death because of the Barron’s experimentation. I also informed her that the information was not in the Abh database that is why we never would have known if Seelnay had not seen the open folder. My mother had seen many things in her life, for that fact so had I, but the information that I have given her, sickened her to the point of physical expression.

Once she was composed she asked me. “How much does Lafiel know about this?” I told her I didn’t know, but if I had to guess, she knew as much if not more than we did and that Seelnay knew everything, but her mental block prohibited her from expressing all of the horror she had seen. “I see Mia, Seelnay put up that wall when she was pregnant with Dawn and every time one of her friends dies she takes it down long enough to express her remorse then she places it back. We will have to be careful in how we approach Seelnay for everyone’s sake.”

I then told mother the one thing I thought she didn’t know, I told her about Atosuryua, to my surprise that news didn’t seem to phase her one bit, in fact she seemed relieved that I knew about the Baroness of Febdash. Mother moved to the window, cast her gaze to the northwest and said. “First things first Mia. Contact with the Guardian is the top of the list. After that we can sort out Lafiel, Sobbash, Atosuryua and Seelnay if need be.” She faced me and continued. “Our very existence may depend on how well the second contact with the Guardian goes. I’m not saying that the problem you’ve brought me is not important, it is, but this takes priority for the moment. I want you to keep and eye and ear on things around here, then when I’m done with the Guardian, we’ll delve deeply into this matter and get to the bottom of it.” I accepted the charge my mother had given me and left her office. Making my way to the Hospital I spent most of the day compiling all the information I could on, Sobbash, Lafiel and Seelnay. When I went to search for information on the Baroness my efforts were soundly blocked, it seemed the Baroness had all information concerning her locked when she retired from the Star Forces. Frustrated I left for the day and tried to relax, this knowledge I had prevented me from completely relaxing.

Shahrazad’s day lasts twenty-five hours. There are seven days to a week, four and a half weeks to a month and thirteen months to year. This is because the planet rotates slower than most of its type. Its orbit is longer than most as well. Martine had twenty-six hours days, but we had six days to week, five weeks to a month and twelve months to a year. Conversion to those planets and the Empire, which have differing times, will drive one crazy. I’ve said that because it is the time conversion that drives Lafiel crazy, actually I’m not really happy about it either but such is life. There is always some one doing something on this world. We don’t all take the same day or days off, Lafiel and I have decided that two days per week spaced according to our schedules works nicely, today was suppose to be one of those days however Lafiel lit out of here before I woke up. The display in the communications room told me what had happened, Scholar had heard from the Guardian, and Lafiel was gone in a flash. She wouldn’t miss this for the world in fact she took great pains to make sure she was in the next expedition that went north. I closed the message and went about my other duties. I knew Lafiel wouldn’t be back for some time or so I thought.

The Council sat quietly. I stood next to Erin waiting for Scholar to arrive, she was running late. I moved towards my father when the chamber door opened and Scholar made her appearance. Normally she would stop and wait for the Scribe to announce her arrival, but this time she rushed past the Scribe and stood before us all. There was a look in Scholar’s eyes, something had happened, and we were about to find out. “We’ve been contacted by the Guardian the meeting is in four days. As we discussed earlier Noel Ekuryua, Lafiel Lynn and I will represent the planet’s current population. The Guardian has agreed to this and as we discussed this winter we will go in unarmed.” I looked to my left, Noel and Lafiel stood quietly listening to Scholar’s words, and her mention of going unarmed left Lafiel wincing. It seems Noel was taking the statement a little better; at least she didn’t change her look. I know little about games of chance, especially the game called poker, but I have experienced one who has a perfect poker face. Noel Ekuryua hides her emotions very well at times.

The Council had very few questions for Scholar, once they were done, Scholar, Lafiel and Noel left the room and the Council sat in quiet discussion. I left Erin and followed Scholars group they made a direct line to Scholars office and were behind closed doors for almost an hour. I met Scholar as she was leaving I had a question, which I wanted, answered. “Elder. Should something happen and you don’t return. What are we to do?” I’ll admit my expression of the question was a little abrupt, but that is how I was raised. Scholar knew this fact and unlike most would; she answered my question without the lecture I would have gotten.

“When we came to this world, before you and Erin started ruling, a document was written by myself and the Council, this document is the right of succession, without going into a lot of unnecessary detail, should I die or become incapacitated, Mia will assume her duties as Scholar of Science. Then it will be up to Erin, you and the Council to proceed from there. It is no different when Erin’s father died and I assumed the position of Scholar, although I also had the responsibility of leader as well. In this case Erin and you lead, the Council will help and Lafiel and her people will be here for their input as well. “

I stood motionless, although there was a rumor that Mia was Scholar’s offspring, she had never confided that fact until now to me. “The right of succession document does it cover what to do if Lafiel is unable to govern as well?” Scholar stood in front of me her expression never changed. She focused on my face smiled and said. “It does not Li, that is what the past hour’s discussion entailed. Lafiel has executed a document similar to mine, however it’s contents I cannot divulge. Rest assured that this planet would be in good hands should we not return from the Guardian.” She had said it, the words I couldn’t express discretely, and I was worried more about my own future than Scholars or the rest of the expedition. Scholar had taken an offensive statement and assured me that no matter what happened we would be all right, I felt so ashamed to have even asked such a question.

Scholar must have sensed my confusion; she took me in her arms and said. “Don’t be ashamed Li, the reason Erin and you govern is because you can ask those questions that Erin finds difficult if not impossible to express. Remember we are seekers of the truth, and in seeking that truth sometime questions must be asked that might cause discourse; it is up to Erin and you to lead our people. With that responsibility comes those hard questions that must be asked. You did well in getting to the point, do not be ashamed to ask the question no matter what it is.” I started to sob; my natural mother was a victim of the radiation poisoning we suffered on Sol-Eros. Erin was parentless; we both in a way have taken Scholar as our mother. It’s very hard to question ones mother about her possible impending death and have no feelings about it; at the moment I was feeling very selfish.

I left Scholar and made my way to the office Erin and I share. I took my seat at my desk as Erin entered the room, I stood faced her and told her what I had done. For one fleeting moment I saw anger in her eyes it was replaced by the compassion she has always shown me. We stood in the middle of the room my head on her shoulder as I told her of my conversations with Scholar. Erin held me as a sister would while I explained everything I was feeling and that I had learned. When I was done Erin looked into my eyes and smiled that smile the smile that said everything was and was going to be all right. I fell back into her arms and cried like a small child.

I was in my office reading a lengthy report from Paveryua when Lafiel came through the door. She asked me to put it down as she handed me another document. I read it and started to speak but before the words came out Lafiel said. “I’m sorry Jinto there wasn’t time to get you, if you’ll notice the document isn’t official until you sign it. If you feel it needs changes, make them and we’ll discuss it later. Right now I’m going to lay down.” With that Lafiel left the room. I then looked over the document. Right of Succession my foot, where I come from we call it a Last Will and Testament, a document that one executes to guarantee their wishes will be followed after they’ve died. Lafiel and I had discussed having wills but it was agreed we’d do that after we had children. Now she hands me this document, was traveling to the Guardian entailing such risk that Lafiel felt she wasn’t coming back? I read the document carefully.

Lafiel’s will was well written, but it lacked the detail that I would have expected from her. It laid out how Shahrazad was to be governed in the event of her death or inability to carry out her duties, but her plans were missing some details that only she knew. I made it to the last page and noticed another page was behind it. This page was written in Abh and unlike the previous pages was written in Lafiel’s own handwriting. It’s been sometime since I’ve seen Lafiel’s handwriting I forgot how truly elegant it is. Reading the attached page brought peace to my soul. Lafiel laid out many things that weren’t in the official document. She told me that before she left she would leave me a complete data file with all of her wishes and all of her deals and dealings on it. I knew about most things she has done since we’ve been here, we do live together you know, but I’m sure there are a few things she’s slipped in while I wasn’t looking. I laid the document aside unsigned there were a couple of questions that I had and when Lafiel woke up we would discuss those.

I tried to return to Paveryua’s report but found myself staring out the window towards the north, wondering what was waiting for them out there, had Scholar been duped into a trap and would they return safely? I placed everything to one side of my desk and placed Lafiel’s will in the center. I stood, dimmed the lights, went outside, and made the familiar walk to the cliff that overlooked the lake. I stood and let my emotions run their course. So involved was my release I didn’t sense Sobbash approaching until Saio was clinging to my leg. Unconsciously I bent over, picked up Saio and brought her to my chest we stood over looking the lake her little fingers wiping the tears from my cheeks.

“Jinto what has happened?” Sobbash asked when she got a good look at my face. I handed Saio back to Sobbash and said. “They’ve received communications from the Guardian, and they’ll be leaving in four days.” I looked Sobbash in the eye. “Lafiel’s Will, or Right of Succession, as you Abh call it, is laying on my desk. Sobbash for some reasons, I can’t put into words, I feel this expedition…” my words faded and failed me I turned back to the lake looking for the comfort it has always given me but this time the wind picked up and the glassy surface became a choppy disorganized mess just as my mind felt at that very moment.

Sobbash turned me down the path that lead to the residence, with Saio in one arm she lead me back there and spent most of the afternoon listening to my concerns. Lafiel found us sitting there about an hour before sunset, Sobbash told her what she had found and what we had discussed, then she took Saio and left. Lafiel and I spent the rest of the evening exploring our feelings on this matter. It was midnight when we finally retired, the document still unsigned.

When I first met Sobbash aboard the Basroil I learned that she was all business, however as time has passed by I’ve also found that there is a very complex being behind that façade of ‘all business’. I came home to find Saio in the playpen, and Sobbash making dinner. Approaching her I noticed she was holding a tomato in one hand, the knife in the other and wasn’t moving. Body language tells one a lot; the language I was seeing from Sobbash was screaming confusion. I gently, from behind, took the knife from her hand, sat it on the counter and reached for the tomato. It was at that very moment she sensed my presence dropped the tomato in the sink, turned and buried her head in my chest. It was obvious that not only was she confused, but also she had spent a great deal of time crying. I held Sobbash for about ten minutes; finally she regained enough composure to explain what had happened.

When she had finished she said. “Samson, Jinto’s afraid Lafiel won’t be coming back I know it’s a bit far fetched but he truly believes that fact. He felt better when she decided to stay on Shahrazad, he knew the possibility of losing her became fairly remote but now he’s more concerned than I’ve seen him in years. It’s depressing and I thought I could handle it but my emotions almost got the better of me. Had Saio not been with me I would have succumbed to those emotions.” I took Sobbash in my arms and watched as Saio slept, she was becoming Sobbash’s rock, the one thing that will keep her together. I sat Sobbash next to the playpen and made a quick dinner. Sobbash and Saio ate and spent the rest of the evening playing on the floor till bedtime. Sobbash and Saio went to bed; I spent the rest of the evening wrestling with not only Sobbash’s dilemma, but also the task Scholar had given Risch and myself to accomplish. I stepped outside and noticed that Jinto and Lafiel’s place still had most of the lights on, I was glad to see I wasn’t the only one who was working late.

Abh’s as a race have too much freedom and little responsibilities, that’s how it was aboard ship, the Star Forces structure gave one many freedoms and only those responsibilities that your job required. As Captain I had more responsibilities than most of the crew, as it should be, but now on this planet and no longer a Captain, my freedoms all have responsibilities, some which leave me wondering how landers deal with this life. Scholar’s message concerning the Guardian’s contact sits on the display before me. I really wish Risch would return I have many things I want to discuss with him. I’m going on this mission looking forward to expressing those feelings I repressed last time. I am aware of how a slip of my tongue or an irrational thought may well undo everything that Scholar and I accomplished last time we were there.

Responsibilities, I though being a Captain was hard, I’d gladly return to the center seat and be bored once again than having to deal with this strange life planet side. It’s getting late and Risch still hasn’t come home. I’ll not sleep peacefully until I’ve spoken with him. I relax in the chair beside the communications console; this is where Risch finds me, sound asleep. I awake as he tries to move me to my bed; we end up talking till almost dawn. We both have places to be later this day. I hope I’ll make it on the short nap we are about to have.

My eyes open to find a tray of food sitting beside my bed, a very comforting voice addresses me with terms I’ve not heard in a few years. “Good morning Admiral, did you sleep well? Kufadis was standing at the end of the bed, laying out my clothes for the day, something else he hadn’t done in quite awhile. I sat up placed the tray in front of me and said. “I slept very well, thank you for asking. Did we find a wormhole while I was sleeping? It’s been sometime since you have treated me like this Kufadis.” There was a moment of silence, and then Kufadis jogged my memory. It was on this day not so long ago I resigned my commission from the Star Forces. On that morning he brought me breakfast set out my clothes and stood by my side as the Grand Council accepted my resignation then issued me a stern warning about providing military support to the planet Shahrazad.

We had left the fuel depot and were returning to Laitpanr for an official function when the Capital contacted us. After the acceptance of my resignation, then sudden and stern warning I was given, we detoured to Shahrazad and informed Lafiel of this. Needless to say she wasn’t surprised, in fact she told me she was expecting more from the Grand Council than we had been told. The trip home was uneventful but our return to the fuel depot was interesting, clearing the Sord, we spotted the orbital platform in the final stages of being brought on line. I’ll admit Lafiel worked fast, we have been gone a scant three weeks, in that time she managed to find and transport an operational defensive platform to orbit about Shahrazad. She never fails to amaze me, which is why the message Kufadis and I are returning to her, wasn’t an unexpected request. I’ve wondered most of the way there, what she had on her mind this time?

Mia released Dawn the next day. I took her home and spent most of the day convincing my daughter she hadn’t done anything to be upset about. Nasse had cleaned all of the glass up and all that stood in my room was the empty frame. Dawn and I spent several hours picking out a new mirror to replace the broken one. Once we decided Dawn walked down to Plakia’s room and brought her back. Those two looked at that mirror for several minutes and then Plakia said. “It’s a good choice. I like how the edges sparkle.” With that she and Dawn left my room and sat on the front porch watching the afternoon pass them by.

Confused by what had happened I sat watching them, it was Nasse who took me out back and explained the one-way conversation she heard Plakia having. The pieces fell into place Dawn had inherited something from me, something that she was showing at a very early age. She had, from her hospital bed, communicated with Plakia and the two of them had decided how to ‘make right’ what had happened. For a moment I was very angry then I realized that Dawn had shown signs before of being able to sense my feelings, it seemed that she and Plakia made probing ones thoughts a game and as Dawn used her gift she also mastered it, something I am still afraid to do.

I opened my mind and called to her, the sound of her and Plakia’s footsteps were the answer I was looking for. Dawn leapt into my arms and said. “I heard you mommy. I came as soon as you called.” Plakia looked at Nasse and said. “You told her you weren’t suppose to…” before she could finish Dawn informed Plakia that everything was all right and it no longer needed to be a secret. Nasse and I sat in amazement, our daughters were closer than we were, and they shared things between them most adults rarely do. I have to admit I felt a bit jealous it was then I felt Nasse’s hand on my shoulder. “They are quite the pair don’t you think?” I smiled and watched as the girls took turns pushing each other on the swing. There were a pair all right, give them a few more years and they’ll be quite a formidable pair.

My eyes had trouble focusing this morning, probably because Noel had kept us up till dawn. I’ll not complain though because for the first time in a long time we had a conversation of substance instead of a rehashing of old events. Noel was concerned about this upcoming visit to the Guardian she had good reason to. Even though scanning of the area was forbidden the satellites had picked up massive surges in energy with in the Guardian’s location. Noel had seen these scans and had forwarded them to Scholar, who looked at them and said they posed no threat to their expedition. Noel wasn’t convinced, her sixth sense was ringing an alarm inside her head, and she almost went and did something, which could have caused a calamity. She almost went ‘North’ alone. Something inside of her overruled that impulsive notion. She expressed all of her misgivings and admitted to almost going off on her own. She waited for my response not knowing what I was going to say or do.

Something happened inside me. I said nothing; I faced Noel and took her in my arms. At first she was tense, I believe it was from not knowing what was going to happen next, yet as I held her she relaxed and quietly cried. At that moment, I hadn’t felt about her like that since I carried her into the escape pod and jettisoned us into the void as the ship exploded. I think we are reconnecting, I think Noel’s over the anger, depression and mistrust she’s had the past few years. There are some things I’ve been wanting to tell her, now I have to decide if I should tell her now or wait till she comes back from the Guardian. My sixth sense is coming on line however it’s directing me to wait. It’s telling me that even though the information at hand looks incriminating the Guardian posed no threat to any of us.

I sat quietly on the hover sled waiting for Samson to arrive. When he arrived he sat next to me and said. “Jinto’s under the impression that Lafiel’s not returning from the Guardian. He told this to Sobbash and spent most of last night discussing it with Lafiel. Have you and Noel had a similar conversation?” I activated the magnetic flux unit, set the sled to thirty centimeters and headed towards the Village. On the way, I told Samson of the conversation Noel and I had. He listened intently and when I was finished he said. ”What I gather from these two conversation is something is going on up north and Scholar thinks it to be a non issue while Noel thinks it might pose a danger and Lafiel is…” I slowed the sled and looked at Samson. “You know they are going up there unarmed? If Lafiel is willing to leave her pistol at home you tell me what dangers might lurk up there?” Samson shook his head and pointed towards the Village. I advanced the propulsion unit and we were soon at our ‘lab’, a building next to the main power center, somewhere Samson and I could store our tools and it gave us a place to do our little construction projects. The project we were going to start on today involved a set of plans Scholar had given us, plans part of me hope would work and part of me hoped they didn’t work.

Continued in the next post

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Diaho
Site Administrator

Re: 20_The Guardian

Post by Diaho »

Painiach sat piloting the shuttle towards Shahrazad; it still amazes me that she is enjoying doing this rather boring chore. I know that some time, a while ago, she was a mere pilot, and flew shuttle missions as part of her training. As she continued to gain command experience, she started sitting in the ‘center’ seat and let others fly. Now since we’ve been shuttling around a lot lately she convinced me to let her have a go at piloting. Rusty would come close to describing her first attempts at piloting, I thank the stars we were in deep open space when I decided to give her the helm. Those first hours were scary however she relearned quickly. It’s been about six months since we had a close call and now we were going to give something a try until now I’d had done; Painiach was going to land on Shahrazad. We had gone through the simulation many times and her last ten attempts had been picture perfect, yet I felt a bit uncertain because the computers cannot predict actual conditions, what I’m trying to say is a sudden storm or other atmospheric occurrence and her routine landing could wind up a disaster.

We are three hours from orbit and another two from landing. Undaunted Painiach sits ‘driving’ us towards our destination; actually she’s surprised me I knew she could command with the best of them. It seems given a little practice she can pilot with those who are accomplished in such feats as well. We are close enough that we are now receiving planetary data from the orbiting satellites. Weather at our planned touchdown site looks good, the secondary site is clear as well. Maybe this will be a routine landing, I hope it is Painiach could use a boost to her confidence and I could use the peace from knowing she can do this along with all of her other accomplishments. There have only been slight differences in my life post Star Forces. I still stand at her side although I no longer wear the uniform nor do I salute her. Saluting her has been replaced with the occasional hug, taking of one or both hands, and finally the ‘kiss for luck’ when it looks like things might go a miss. I plan on giving her the aforementioned kiss, just before we start our descent towards the surface. For the moment I sit watching the approach to orbit and monitor the current conditions at our landing site.

Sitting in my office I reflect on what Jinto and I talked about last night. One thing he was right about was my life and his were vastly different from one another’s before we met. Born a princess, I was given most everything one could want although I didn’t really want it. Jinto on the other hand was born the son of a leader, not a king, a political position that could change at the whim of those who voted. Jinto’s life changed suddenly when my people the Abh arrived all those years ago, and his father struck a deal with them. Jinto became a noble, something he didn’t want but accepted as best he could as I had accepted being a princess years before. By the time I was ten I knew what life had in store for me, I would join the Star Forces serve with distinction then get thrown into the melee that would end up with myself sitting on the Jade Throne; that is if everything went according to my family’s plan.

I do believe Father and Lady Plakia did me a favor when at sixteen they introduced me to Jinto. I repaid their favor by rebelling against everything I had been groomed to do. I believe Lady Plakia would have been sad, yet supportive, of my decision. My Father hasn’t expressed his feelings on this matter. I think he’s accepting the fact that this is the way it’s going to be, although his silence has left me wondering just how he really feels. Painiach and Kufadis will be here this afternoon. They have met with Father and have conveyed a message from myself to him and are bringing his reply with them. I’m prepared for the worst and expecting something a little better. I’ll know it all this afternoon.

Three A.M.? Why do babies always arrive at three A.M.? This delivery was far from normal, yet both mother and child are resting comfortably. I had planned on spending most of last night compiling data for Scholar yet my first duty is to those who depend on this hospital to serve in the common good. The sun is rising as I make my way towards my quarters. Doctor Sasoum came in early so I might get some well-deserved sleep. I’ll tackle Scholar’s request after I’ve had some rest. Maybe the Abh have something with those gestation chambers, you decide the delivery time… Never mind, I’m exhausted, we abandoned that technology long ago and returned to the way the Great Spirit wanted us to be. Devices like that are used after birth for life support, not to create life with in their sterile mechanical environment. That is how we’ve lived since we escaped the ‘mother city’ and that is how we will always live as the Great Spirit dictates. I walk in the door, collapse on the bed and sleep for ten hours.

Samson and I had a few decisions to make today after much investigation we decided to build the prototype in an older shuttle we had on the planet. This ship was still functional although we had removed several system, cannibalized it so to say, to keep our other shuttles functional. Our plan was to assemble this “Star Drive” unit and incorporate it with in the shuttle, then take the shuttle to deep space and run our functional test there. We wanted to be careful of where we ran our test because should the Empire find out we were working on such a device the repercussions would or could mean the end of Shahrazad’s independence, as we knew it. Yet should this “Star Drive” prove functional the result would be the ability to cover vast amounts of space in a relative short time compared to our present technology. Once again I have to remember this device is untested and possibly deadly towards life forms so I try to keep my hopes diminished, but this device intrigues me as it does Samson.

This morning I’ve spent in deep thought, Paveryua’s report sits unread, as does the message from Samson and Risch. Lafiel convinced me last night that going to the Guardian was in the best interest of this world, yet I have this very uneasy feeling about it all. My attention is drawn to the security grid it shows Painiach’s shuttle is beginning it’s arrival. Now there is something else to worry about. I know they were on a mission for Lafiel but I never completely understood what the mission entailed. I turn back to my desk, I’m not in any mood to deal with this mess it can and will wait till I’m mentally ready. I glance at Samson’s message then leave my office and head for the docks. I’ve decided that Painiach needs a welcoming committee of one, me. As I leave the Residence I hear the second sonic boom as the shuttle approaches.

The sub orbital insertion went as planned Painiach aligned the shuttle, then switched to manual for the rest of the approach. From my seat the rest of the approach went off flawlessly or so it seemed, it was only later, when we reviewed the data recorded that I saw how much work she really did. We rolled, at one thousand meters, on to the final approach for the lake. The landing was picture perfect and the slight bump when we arrived at the dock was all with in the simulations we did. I removed my restraints and approached her from behind, she sat staring at the navigational console her hands were trembling there was a puddle of sweat on the display. I touched her shoulder and found her tunic was soaked. Removing her restraints and bringing her to her feet she fell into to my arms and said. “I never understood how sudden things change inside an atmosphere, Kufadis I wish to apologize for all the mean things I’ve ever said to you.”

She was very shaken, from my perspective I though she’d done a masterful job of landing, however she had seen, felt and responded to something I’d never experienced before. We reviewed the data from the landing together it seemed we had crossed the wake of, as Jinto called it later, a hurricane. We never deviated off course yet Painiach was making ten’s of subtle course corrections as we descended through the wake of the storm. She basically had become the navigational computer, however the workload almost got to her and through all of it she never once asked for or indicated she needed help. Now she stood before me proud, scared and completely exhausted besides being about two kilograms lighter. I took her forward helped her regain her composure dried her off and found her suitable wardrobe to wear while the shuttle cleaned what she had been wearing. I also realized that we were no longer docked, I docked the ship again and went outside to secure the mooring lines it was there I found Jinto securing the bow line.

“Kufadis you almost drifted into the sand bar. What were you thinking?” Jinto said as I secured the stern line. I explained that this had been Painiach’s first planetary landing and that we’d descended through a phenomenon I’d never seen before. “We went through the logs it was then I realized that we were no longer docked and came outside. You want to look at the log and tell us what we went through?” Jinto nodded and followed me inside.

Jinto sat at the console and reviewed our data; he slowly shook his head and said. “I don’t understand this shuttle has the current software update yet it flew into the wake of a very strong hurricane.” Jinto laid our flight plan over the planets previous days weather and it was true we had descended through the path of a very strong storm missing the outward edge by less than one hundred kilometers. Jinto then queried the ship and said. “You flew it in on manual? In direct violation of protocol, Kufadis what were you thinking?” Jinto paused then looked at Painiach. “Had to hand fly your first approach didn’t you?” She nodded; Jinto shook his head from side to side and said. “If you really want to keep doing that, then, instead of switching the system off, put it in passive mode, it won’t interfere but it would have strongly suggested a deviation to avoid what you just flew through.” Jinto powered down the display stood and said. “Might as well come to solid ground you arrived safely I’m guessing this shuttle is a little confining.”

Jinto exited the shuttle I followed and Painiach went forward to change back into her regular clothes. She met us on the dock holding the diplomatic pouch Debeusec had given her. Jinto saw the pouch and inquired. “Is that for Lafiel?” She nodded and said. “To be hand delivered to her and I have no knowledge of it contents either Jinto.” As we made our way towards the Residence Painiach stopped tapped her foot on the ground and commented. “I understand Samson’s ‘terror firm a’ comment.” I went to correct her pronunciation of the word but she then said. “The more firm a, the less terror, He’s right you know standing on this planet gives me a great sense of security right now.”

Lafiel was waiting at the Residence when we arrived. She took possession of the pouch and instructed us to wait while she headed to the overlook. I played host to Painiach and Kufadis while Lafiel was gone. About forty-five minutes later she returned, showing signs of having a very emotional event. She stopped for a moment and thanked Painiach for her efforts and said she’d be right back. With the pouch under her arm she entered the residence, two minutes later she returned and carried on, as nothing was wrong, which lead me to believe that the pouch contained news Lafiel was expecting but hope wouldn’t be. We had an early dinner Painiach and Kufadis decided to stay the night, Painiach talked with Lafiel, while Kufadis and I met with Samson and Risch.

“He’s late.” Risch said as he lowered his creunoc. I reminded him that the shuttle had arrived a little over two hours earlier, and told him to relax these things take time to sort out. I knew whose shuttle that was and had a pretty good idea of the news it carried; Lafiel had confided in Sobbash that she was going to get an answer out of her father one way or the other. Sobbash had advised her to take a cautious course, which Lafiel immediately ignored. Since it’s taking this long I’ll figure her father was blunt and to the point, sometimes it’s better to wait and let them come to you instead of forcing the issue, then again she is royalty and was trained to get to the bottom of an issue. Sometimes Lafiel has no tact especially when it comes to dealing with her family. Jinto appeared with Kufadis in tow, it came as no surprise to me this project would need specialized materials and Shahrazad did not have them. I was wondering whom Jinto meant when he said our benefactor. I’ll assume the Grand Duchess is that person.

I laid out our plans for converting the old shuttle into a test bed for the ‘Star Drive’. Jinto looked them over handed them to Kufadis and said. “Kufadis is fully briefed on this subject you can speak freely in front of him as he will speak the same. I want your honest opinion, do you really think this unit will work, before we pour a lot of resources, that could be used elsewhere, into it?”

Risch started the conversation this way. “I’m going over the current system just as a refresher. Using the Sord system to travel we must first generate a three-dimensional space-time bubble to enter and travel through a two-dimensional plane space. We know of the inherent dangers associated with that system and I’ll not dwell on them. This ‘Star Drive’, to tell you the truth it’s not descriptive of the propulsion system at all; it’s more like a ‘time warp drive’. I’ve fed all of the data into the computer that Jinto supplied us. It says that the ‘Star Drive’ in theory is ninety five percent possible, we have some logistics to deal with, and first off it uses matter – anti-matter conversion, which has many inherent dangers, associated with it. Yet if the system works and the size of the ship versus drive size stays fairly small, in fact it should be a safer system than the current system.”

Kufadis gets a confused look and Risch continues. “Look at it this way, if you’re in Plane Space and the space time generator fails what happens? The bubble collapses and you’re space particles. If the ‘Star Drive’ fails, since you’re doing this in normal space, the field collapses and you’re stuck going slow in normal space, but you’re still alive. Of course if the matter anti-matter reaction unit fails and the two substances get together, poof, you’re space dust.” Kufadis wipes his hand across his face and says. “Goes back to the introductory class at the academy when that old Abh said. Space travel is inherently deadly if not accomplished with knowledge and care. Since we aren’t creatures of space it’s all dangerous to us.” Risch nodded then said.

“What has Samson and I concerned is the speed claims of the Suran, even if we use conservative computations this Star Drive is capable, at least on paper, of five times the speed of the fastest Abh vessel. Imagine this going from point A to B the most direct way and at five times the current speed we are use to. No hunting for Sords, no space-time bubbles. It boggles the mind.”

Jinto shook his head and said. “Let me get this straight, this device, if it works, could set us free to explore the galaxy in record time?” Risch nodded and said. “There are limitations to the testing we can do on the planet since this uses a field similar to a space time bubble you know what would happen if we generated it on a surface world.” Jinto understood he also realized that their testing would have to be done at the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Should some race see their test, the results would be galaxy shaking in scope. “Lafiel and I found an empty galaxy while exploring the twelfth ring I suggest we send a probe there and ascertain it’s really vacant and do our testing there.”

Jinto looked at Kufadis. “Minimum expenditure on this project for the time being, I’d like to wait till the Guardian’s been contacted again before we go full tilt on this.” He looked at Risch and I then said. “Continue your investigation and do as much of the planet side work as you can, report to me, then I’ll let you know how much to tell Scholar.” I interrupted Jinto. “We aren’t keeping secrets from Scholar, because if we are, count me out Count Hyde.” Jinto took a step towards me and said. “I wasn’t planning on keeping anything from her how ever if the project turns out to be a bust then I’d like to soften the blow as much as possible, you know how determined she is to find the source of humankind I’d just like to be sure she not elevated to be deflated once again Okay?” I nodded and replied. “No double crosses Count Hyde, this is to used for peaceful purposes as Scholar implied, we need not become a superpower to accomplish our fairly simple and straight forward goals.”

Kufadis took the floor and stated that even though the Grand Duchess would be interested in taking the findings and building a superior fleet of ships; she had no stomach to go against this planets sovereign right. “We’ll support this project and ask for none of the technology derived from it.” Kufadis surprised me with that statement, Painiach does not do things out of generosity, even if she did it’s was against her nature to do so. I wonder what kind of deal Jinto stuck with her to keep her happy this time? Kufadis and Jinto left heading for the Residence I felt Risch’s hand on my shoulder. “I knew you were going to voice my thoughts on the subject but Samson living with Sobbash has made you very blunt. You really cornered them, or was that your intention?” I smiled picked up the documents and headed back to the office I put them in the safe and went home, Risch left, I’m assuming he went home to Noel, at least that’s what I believe he did.

I’m thirty-one years old; yet, my Father can still surprise me. I’ve read his letter and realized everything at the Capital was not as I had imagined. I was told simply and straightforwardly that I had become a low priority to the Empire and as long as I stayed in the shadows, created no ripples, this planet would be left to it’s own doings. It looks as if Duhiel will be delayed as well. Father indicated that he has been given an escort duty, which will make him about three weeks later than I had expected. There were other things in Fathers letter. I’ll have to deal with them after I return from the Guardian. Looking around I wonder where Jinto went, Spoor’s been at the garden for the past couple of hours, we did have a nice chat, then Kufadis and Jinto took off without saying a word... I’m very frustrated at the moment too…

Kufadis and I met Spoor in the garden. We had a detailed discussion of the events of the past several hours, it was then that Spoor informed me Lafiel was sitting at the Residence waiting for my return, and that she was quite angry. “Jinto I had to leave her, something was in that pouch that has set feelings loose, I’ve not seen in years. You better find her before she does something very…” Damn I’m such a fool at times! I let this project get in the way of caring for Lafiel. I excused myself and ran up the path towards the Residence. Lafiel heard me coming and met me partway. “Jinto you ran off! How could you do something like that? I needed you and you ran off!” She was red faced crying and about to explode. I reached for her hand and she jerked it away, this time I saw the haymaker coming my way blocked it and we fell to the ground.

Lafiel wound up on top of me. There is a look she gets when she’s about to do something painful. She didn’t have that look this time. She repositioned her self, taking the weight off my chest and placing it on her knees she leaned forward and looked me square in the face. “Jinto I feel you’re not taking things very seriously lately. I get news from my Father and you waltz off with Kufadis to somewhere, you know, I really don’t care if you and Kufadis left, but a, Lafiel I’m going now is there anything you need? Would have been nice.” She kissed me on the forehead, pushed herself to her feet and offered me a hand up. Once standing she placed her arms around me pulled me so close that breathing became difficult and said. “Remember this feeling of almost being suffocated Jinto, because that is how I feel at this very moment.” She released her hold and kissed me. We stood there in an embrace for what seemed like an hour but it was only minutes. Lafiel kissed me once more the passion of this kiss tingled my senses. She took my hand and led me to the Residence.

It was morning when I returned to my senses. Lafiel and I had spent the past hours rediscovering the passionate part of our relationship that had been suppressed by us both after the planet’s government was formed. The sun was about to rise and I got Lafiel out of bed. We stood and watched it rise, it was like those days of long ago, when Lafiel and I first came to this world, however the silence of the dawn was broken by Spoor and Kufadis having a spirited conversation.

“I guess we should get dressed and figure out if we need to become peace keepers?” Lafiel said as she moved towards her dresser. I placed my arm around her pulling her towards me we met and I kissed her once again. “We should plan on doing this more often.” I said. Lafiel smiled and said. “Planned events like this get boring, I like spontaneous events so you better be receptive when I come calling Jinto.” She grabbed some clothes and went to the bathroom. I stood and watched her. Problem is all Abh’s are incredibly beautiful. Lafiel’s beauty had grown since I first met her; the beauty I love about Lafiel is past her physical looks, there is a beauty deep inside her that no other has shown me before.

Well, Erin would be the only other living being I’ve met that has shown any beauty close to Lafiel’s, but Erin and I have basic differences, which will preclude us from being more than just friends. Lafiel understands this and accepts those times where Erin and I have deep conversations. When I first told Lafiel about Erin, in fact it was Lafiel who cornered me about Erin, Lafiel was insanely jealous for about the first five minutes, and then she realized Erin is more like a sister, than a lover. I never questioned those long discussions that Lafiel and Duhiel have had in the past because they are brother and sister. I on the other hand never had the luxury of siblings. Erin has become a surrogate sibling, after this evening past; I’ll have lunch with Erin and ask her some questions.

This morning started like any other, however this was the day we’ll leave to head north, towards the Guardian. As I bent over to get my winter gear Risch gave me a playful pat on my bottom. I returned his playfulness with a kiss that could last a lifetime. We left our place met Jinto and Lafiel then headed towards the shuttle. It was there we found Scholar, Erin and Mia waiting. A quick check of the shuttle, good byes and we were off. It was shortly after departure I found Lafiel had brought a comforter with her; I removed it from her and placed it in the locked storage area. “The agreement was no weapons Lafiel, but I know you, so I’m not surprised you brought it.” I then looked her in the eyes and asked. “Are there any more weapons hidden with in this ship?” Lafiel got a very indigent look on her face knowing I was about to either get the truth or land the ship and rip it to pieces. She pointed to the starboard storage bin, here I found two laser rifles, about seventy power packs, her machete and power packs for the pistol I took from her earlier.

Part of me wanted to reverse course and dump this back at the island, but we were on a time-constrained flight. We had to arrive at the Guardian plus or minus ten minutes from the agreed time something that did disturb me. I also noticed Scholar had taken note of this fact and wasn’t happy about the restriction either. I placed Lafiel’s weapons cache in a lockable storage area, placed the key around my neck and returned to the pilots seat. Lafiel glared at me as I passed her I could feel the heat radiating off her as I sat down my back to her.

Our landing site was about twenty kilometers ahead when the proximity alarm rang. I scanned ahead and found the Guardian had itself surrounded with a formidable force field; the composition of it was nothing I had seen before. Scholar scanned the field again and said. “Do not try to penetrate it, we will die if you do.” I slowed the shuttle we were about ten minutes ahead of our planned landing time. “I’ve slowed so we will arrive at the field just slightly before the planned time.” I switched on the main viewer and the sight we saw made me slow down further.

On closer examination we could see the force field, it was a dome that covered a five-kilometer circle around the entrance we had use before. I panned in towards the area and we were shocked. The area inside the dome was barren, no snow, trees or animal life, just those large partially buried solar arrays we had seen earlier. Now they stood in the clear, the sun reflecting off them.

There was a massive energy reading coming from deep underground, it was not natural energy, what I mean it was mechanical in origin. Lafiel came over my shoulder for a better look and said. “Don’t lose that key Noel we may need what I brought after all.” I wanted to tell Lafiel to mind her place but her words and what we saw made me stay silent. Scholar sat quietly changing the images we were viewing finally she paused and panned in further. What we saw sent chills down my spine I almost reversed course right then and there.

Scholar had panned in on a group of trees the sat near the edge of the field. There was still smoke radiating from the area and there was a large tree half of it was vaporized along with half a polar bear that must have been sleeping under it. “Why in the name of all reason would they deploy such a destructive field? They knew we were coming in peace. What kind of perverse show of force is this?” as Scholar finished her sentence a section of the dome opened and we were instructed to enter now. I went through and as soon as I did the field closed behind us. The scanner went haywire and we lost all contact with the rest of the planet.

Jinto was sitting in front of the master console following their progress then suddenly the shuttle disappeared. “Risch, Spoor, Kufadis get in here the shuttle has vanished.” I beat Spoor and Kufadis to the room, once everyone was there Jinto replayed the tracking data. The shuttle was there then gone as if a vortex had opened and swallowed them. We examined the data there was no explosion, emergency beacon, or shuttle ID signature they just vanished. Jinto sat back and still staring at the display said. “We wait, it’s all we can do, but you should know Lafiel left here armed to the teeth.” I stood dumbfounded, Lafiel had agreed to being unarmed.

I faced Jinto. “Defined armed to the teeth, would you please?” Jinto stood and went to the locker in the main office he opened it and knowing what was in there I could see two laser rifles missing, one type three pistol and there was the imprint of Lafiel’s machete in the cushion it too was missing. Jinto then opened the ammunition case and I could see how many power packs were missing. I stood back took in again what my eyes saw and said. “I hope her actions doesn’t cost them their lives.” That sentence set Jinto into a rage, one like I had never seen before. You’d swear by his actions it was Lafiel instead of Jinto standing in front of us. Jinto slammed the cabinets shut and marched outside. I turned to Spoor and Kufadis they, like myself, were in a state of shock.

Finally Kufadis spoke. “Someone had to say it and you’ve said it Risch although your timing wasn’t the greatest, let him go he’ll cool off fairly soon and don’t worry about him running off none of the shuttles on the island will function Lafiel instructed me to lock them out just incase somebody got the urge to travel.” I stood confused trying to rationalize Kufadis words when the sound of the hover car brought me around. “Damn, you didn’t disable the cars, there is one functional shuttle on the planet it’s outside the village.” I tried to raise Samson but the signal was being jammed. I grabbed Lafiel’s helmet and took off after Jinto. Luckily the hover car had to follow the path to the village, the hover scooter on the other hand was small enough to take a short cut that put me at our workshop just before Jinto arrived. I placed the hover scooter out of sight and waited for Jinto I didn’t have to wait very long.

The hover car slid to a stop and Jinto bolted through the door. I blindsided him without any hesitation. He fell heavily to the floor it was then Samson entered the room. Grabbing a piece structural spar Samson took a swing at me. I ducked and yelled. “Stop Samson! The shuttle vanished off the radar, he was going to take our shuttle and go north. Help me get him to the hospital.” Samson helped me put Jinto in the hover car; our reception at the hospital was far from normal. The Villagers detested physical violence Mia really gave me the third degree while Doctor Sasoum treated Jinto.

An hour later Doctor Sasoum entered the waiting room. “I would have sedated him, but you gave him a concussion. I told you, humans, who he is still one of, have weak points; looks like Jinto has what is know as a glass jaw too. Your blow didn’t hurt him it was the fall to the floor, you had knocked him out cold, instead of stunning him; his body fell uncontrollably his head hit the floor pretty hard. There’s no permanent damage, but if Lafiel was here, you’d be in a world of hurting I’m afraid.” Doctor Sasoum was stunned when I asked to see him. She lead Samson and I to the room Jinto was in. “Normally I’d leave you alone but this time I’m going in, so if there was something you didn’t want me to hear then don’t say it.”

Doctor Sasoum opened the door Jinto laid in front of us. The opening of the door brought Jinto’s eyes towards the noise his eyes met mine the anger showed on his face then subsided. “Lafiel told you to disable the shuttles didn’t she? I shook my head. “She told Kufadis, he failed to realize there was another operational shuttle and forgot about the cars and scooters. Looks like Lafiel under estimated you. She figured you’d find everything broke and stay home. When she gets back she’ll be in for a surprise I think.” Jinto tried to rise up in bed and Doctor Sasoum stopped him. “Come closer.” Jinto said. I moved to the end of the bed and stood on his left side.

‘WACK’ Jinto’s left foot slapped the side of my head and I fell backwards. I stood and cleared the cobwebs. Jinto, who was being restrained by Samson and the Doctor said. “We’re even now, damn hardheaded Abh. I think I broke my foot but it was worth it.” The commotion brought Mia into the room and the reading of the riot act started once again. Only this time Jinto was on the receiving end. When she finished she scanned Jinto’s foot, it wasn’t broken, his ankle was dislocated. With an evil smile Mia set the ankle with a horrifying crunch. Jinto winced in pain Mia smiled and said. “Serves you right, violence doesn’t solve anything.” She ordered us from the room and followed us out into the hall. Doctor Sasoum stood facing Mia and said. “You really enjoyed doing that didn’t you?” Mia shrugged her shoulders and said. “Not bad for my first time eh?” Doctor Sasoum shook her head as she walked off with Mia following about a meter behind her.

“CAPTAIN!”

Humans are not meant to travel in space on a regular basis. Although the Abh had perfected their bodies as much as their technology would let them they were still human. In artificial gravity, muscles will still atrophy in time so exercise was in order and ordered for the entire crew. Dai was running her normal routine before she retired for the night. Running calmed her and the effort left her tired enough to rest well later. When last on Shahrazad she had run this course and recorded the scenery around the lake and waterfalls, it was those images she was using on this run. She was almost finished when she felt a cold chill, and then a moment of weakness. Slowing the treadmill she had almost regained her composure when her creunoc flashed.

“What is it?” she said into the device. “You’re needed on the bridge, the Captain has collapsed, medical is enroute…” There was more to the message but Dai never heard it, leaping off the treadmill she made her way to the service access corridor that lead to the bridge within moments she was entering the bridge from the maintenance access door.

Duhiel lay on the floor in front of the center seat, it looked as he had been standing and fell backwards towards the seat. Medical staff was attending to him as Dai pushed her way to his side. “Commander.” the chief surgeon said. “I can not work on him with you in way now leave us alone.”

Dai stood and noticed that she was the center of attention instead of the Captain. She knew why and didn’t let it bother her. She was still in a sweat soaked running outfit, something very unbecoming to the second in command of the ship but right now she could be naked as far as she was concerned, Duhiel has collapsed and she was going to find out why. Approaching the navigator she inquired what had happened. Still startled at Dai’s appearance and the fact the Captain was on the floor, she spoke.

“He ordered us to link with the Imperial network when we were clear of the Sord. The link was established and then he initiated a long range sensor scan, something he saw brought him to his feet, he pointed at the main display and fell backwards.” Duhiel’s moaning from the floor stopped her.

Dai moved to his side, Duhiel opened his eyes and took in his First Officer. “Not proper attire for the bridge Commander.” Dai ignored his statement and said. “What happened?” Duhiel rolled his eyes and said. “Something’s wrong very wrong, I felt it I…” Duhiel passed out again. This time the surgeon was insistent. “Commander I can do no more for him here, we’re moving him below, when he’s better I’ll send for you.” With that the medical staff slid a board under Duhiel and removed him from the bridge.

Taking the center seat, something she had given up about fifty minutes earlier, Dai accessed the ships data stream. As the ship left the Sord, a link was established with the central computers as is customary when exiting. There was nothing in the dispatch package that would have brought any concern to Duhiel, she thought. Then she accessed, as much as she could of, Duhiel’s personal log. There she found his attempt to establish communication with Shahrazad’s central network. The log stopped and the time index confirmed that Duhiel passed out ninety seconds after the network link was established.

Lafiel had given Dai access to the network, she also knew her access was more restricted than Duhiel’s was, but to figure out what happened she entered the codes into the console and established contact. Dai was greeted with a network actively trying to find one shuttle in a forty-kilometer square area. It took her less than a minute to figure out what was happening, what Duhiel had sensed and her next decision. “Get the Captain of the transport and Commander Dirks on the link send them to my cabin, then plot a course to Shahrazad.”

The communications officer followed Dai’s orders, but the navigator decided to question her last order. “Commander we are under orders to escort…” Dai cut her off. “Plot the course, have it ready when I return, understood?” The navigator nodded as Dai left the bridge, she returned to her quarters dressed suitability and explained the present situation to the transport captain and Commander Dirks. “Dirks we are eighty percent of the way there, you can handle the rest of the trip alone.” Commander Dirks agreed, as did the transport captain. Dai closed the link and returned to the bridge.

“Put the plot on the main viewer.” Dai said as she sat in the center seat. The course appeared, at maximum speed it would take ten hours to reach Shahrazad. Dai studied the plot and said. “Execute the course maximum speed.”

Commander Dirks watched as the ship formed a space-time bubble and vanished into the Sord, turning to his First Officer he said. “I don’t want to be her when central command finds out what she’s done.” The First Officer nodded and said. “They’ll bust her back to cadet if she’s lucky, civilian if she’s not.”

Dirks shook his head as they walked towards the bridge and said. “Her Captain won’t be able to save her this time, she’s really exceeded her authority.” Then Dirks turned his attention to his mission; in four hours he’ll deliver the transport to its destination, and then a well-deserved shore leave for himself and his crew.

We were alive; the shuttle had made a hard landing but was still intact. When the force field closed behind us, not only did it scramble the scanner, it disrupted the main power. I managed to manually fire the thrusters at about six meters above the ground, and that cushioned the blow considerably. Now we sit, the shuttle slowly coming back on line, about three kilometers from the planned arrival point.

Lafiel’s pacing the deck like a caged animal, Scholar is using what sensors we have and her natural talent to scan the area and I sit watching as slowly system by system this shuttle comes back to life. “We have maneuvering power again. Should I set a course for the arrival point?” Scholar placed her hand on my arm restraining my movement. “Not now Noel. Wait till the scanners are fully functional before we proceed and try to get the main viewer back on line.”

At that moment I realized I had a better understanding of our present situation than either Lafiel or Scholar had. I was still attached to the shuttle, it was feeding me data, not a lot of it was making any sense at the moment, but I knew more about what was going on outside than either one of them did. I turned my attention to getting the main viewer back on line, it’s system, for some reason, had taken a lot more damage than the rest of the shuttles other systems had.

The resonate frequency of the ship brought me to a conscious state, I tried to move but it felt like I was restrained to the table. “Your Highness you’re awake.” The Chief Surgeons voice echoed in my ears. I tried to answer and that’s when I realized I couldn’t speak and moving my gaze to the ebony bulkhead I also realized I was not restrained I couldn’t move as well. “Your Highness. You’ve had a neurological event, which, from my scans should be temporary. I know you can see me and hear me if you’ll kindly blink once for yes and twice for no, I’ll try to explain further.” I blinked once then twice and the surgeon continued. “Your spine is badly bruised the back of your head hit the command chair at such an angle that the padding was missed, you left a dent in the chair. I’ve stimulated the injured area and it’s healing. How soon you’ll be back to normal is anybody’s guess.”

I blinked once I understood what the surgeon had said then I gave him a concerned look and blinked once three times. The surgeon looked puzzled for a moment then said. “You want to know where we are going in such a hurry?” I blinked once. The surgeon thought for a moment and said. “You’re in no condition to be experiencing any undo stress. I’ll tell you if you promise to remain calm.” I blinked once. The surgeon held an EKG lead set before my eyes and said. “I’ll know if you’re not being truthful.” Then his other hand came into view it was holding a hypo spray he smiled and said. “You know I’ll use this you can’t be upset Your Highness.”

I blinked once and relaxed I knew where we were going I just wanted conformation. Dai was running the ship at its maximum safe velocity there was one setting faster but it entailed removing the control rods and letting the reactor run wild. It was only done as the last resort and I knew the Chief Engineer would disobey any order given to execute such an action.

The surgeon’s face came into view he said one word. “Shahrazad.” I blinked once and fell asleep.

“Main viewers on line.” I said as I started to pan the area. What we saw was unnerving, even though I’d never seen the destructive capabilities of the planet killing weapon we Abh use to use, I could imagine what a planet would look like after such a weapon had been unleashed. The surface was burned clean nothing remained except the soil and it to was devoid of any plant life. The solar arrays now stood as a monument to the destructive power of the force field they had created. I brought the main power on line and put the shuttle in a three-meter hover above the surface. From this point we could see in all directions. It was shortly after the hover was established that we received instructions to proceed to the rendezvous without further delay. For the first time in my life I proceeded slowly and with an undue amount of caution. Lafiel stood behind me and said. “It scares you as much as it does me? Is that so Noel?” I nodded and placed the key in her hand. “Let’s hope we don’t have to use what you brought Lafiel. Let’s hope for all our sakes you’re wrong.”

We were almost there when the sensors registered a life form, a humanoid life form. Scholar scanned it several times and the results were the same a humanoid life form, any further information about it was being blocked. A communication link opened, we were addressed by a female sounding voice, which instructed us to land at the glowing circle to our left.

I did as directed, and then Scholar said. “Funny thing I though the home world language was a dead language but I was addressed in perfect…” “ABH!” Lafiel interrupted. “I heard Abh what did you hear Noel?” I too had heard Abh it was perfect Abh like we had been taught growing up. We three stood staring at each other when Scholar said. “We’ve arrived shouldn’t keep our host waiting.”

With that she opened the main door, and left the craft, Lafiel and I followed. What greeted us was very confusing; the area was burnt clean yet there were no odors in the air. The air was as fresh as it was aboard the shuttle. My senses were getting very confused. Scholar raised a scanner and said. “The life form is over there,” she pointed to the remains of a stone structure about thirty meters in front of us. It was then I noticed it wasn’t cold outside it was, mild in fact. I unzipped my jacket because I was becoming warmer than was comfortable for me. We headed in the direction Scholar indicated, as we rounded a partial stonewall we found our life form and it was…

To Be Continued in: “The Lost Civilization.”

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."