22_ A Race Reborn

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

22_ A Race Reborn

Post by Diaho »

A Race Reborn

We arrived shortly after dark; Scholar and I took the containers to Scholars office. Lafiel left for the Residence to tell Jinto were we back and alter the codes for the orbital platform.

When I arrived at the Residence it was dark and strangely quiet. I found Jinto sleeping in the communications room a laser pistol was lying on the table before him. I recognized it immediately it was the matching pistol I’d give him. I was touched, very touched. I pushed it aside kissed Jinto and said.

“Hi honey, I’m home.” Jinto’s reaction was not what I expected. His eyes flew open he reached for the pistol which wasn’t there. Then he realized it was I who was sitting on the table facing him and he broke down sobbing into my arms.

“I thought I’d lost you… I thought…” Jinto stammered. Then he raised his head, gazed into my eyes and continued. “You’re really here.” He said as he squeezed my hands too tightly. “Yes! I’m here! Please release me Jinto you’re hurting me.” I spent the next hours recounting our trip to the Guardian and explaining the ‘project’ we’d returned with.

“So let me see if I understand this Lafiel.” Jinto said as I refilled our coffee cups. “What remains of this race is a room full of DNA and three spirits that were transferred into their central computer. The only life form you saw was a cloned being from Scholars DNA?” As usual Jinto had taken several hours of explanation and expressed it in the simplest form possible. I nodded as I picked up my cup. The coffee Atosuryua found on this trip was a very welcomed change from our usual blend. It had a very robust flavor and was mild for such a stout blend. I was so taken by its flavor I almost missed Jinto’s question.

“You’re going to produce beings for those three to inhabit, clones with extended life and modified brains?” Jinto I love you so, but your constantly reducing everything to its most common denominator will one day bring such a rise from me you’ll not know what hit you. I nodded and explained in less detail this time what the plan was.

I found out my mother was back when the scribe summoned Doctor Sasoum and I to her office. Upon entering and spying what was on her desk I knew she was about to venture into an area the Council would object to strongly. Doctor Sasoum on the other took her scanner and proceeded to examine the three containers that sat on my mother’s desk.

“Remarkable!” Doctor Sasoum said. “These samples are in excellent condition for their apparent age.” The Doctor took notice of my hesitance and said. “We are doctors Mia we treat the sick and continue a healthy life for those who are placed in our care.”

That was it she crossed the line. I’ve been taught from a small child that only the Great Spirit can create life. What my mother was up to violated everything I’d been taught. Doctor Sasoum’s wholesale endorsement of what my mother was planning, I’m sorry, I snapped right there. Suddenly the room got very fuzzy.

When I awoke, I was on the cot in my mother’s office my head was spinning, my arm hurt. I knew that kind of hurt too. “Sasoum you and that damn hypo spray, one day I swear …”

“I knew your feelings on the subject were strong Mia. However I never though you’d resort to physical violence to get your point across.” My mother stood over me the blood still seeping from the corner her jaw. My eyes went wide I had assaulted my own mother, the one who brought me into this world. Tears flowed down my face. “I’m sorry I don’t know what came over me.” Mother tried to smile but her face wasn’t responding so she expressed her feelings with her eyes. It was a look I’d seen many times before the look that brought peace to my soul, yet this time my soul was not completely peaceful.

Risch left early he and Samson were making progress with the FTL device. I really wish he could have stayed home today. I’ve had this very uneasy feeling since we left the Guardian and my mind was telling me that being alone was not what I wanted to be today.

It’s a short walk to Sobbash’s. I’m approaching the cottage before I know it. Sobbash and Saio are out front. Saio is trying to catch a butterfly when she sees me, the next thing I know she’s clinging to my leg drooling on my pants. I squatted down and looked her in the face. “Did you miss me?” a sloppy smooch on the cheek was my answer. My arm went around her and we stood together her little hand now pointing at the ever elusive butterfly. Sobbash had moved to my side she took Saio who was still chasing the butterfly with her finger and said.

“We were going to come by later. Seems you beat us to the visit.” Then she saw the look on my face, a look I wasn’t trying to hide, a look of almost panic. With Saio in one arm Sobbash placed her other arm around my shivering frame and pulled me close. Next thing I knew Saio was hugging my face and Sobbash was supporting my shaking frame. We headed inside the cottage. Saio was put in a playpen and Sobbash took both of my hands and faced me. I was still a nervous wreck she knew this she had seen this before and she held me.

“I know this was a particularly difficult mission you went on, but Jinto led us to believe there wasn’t all that much to it in the end. Noel your body is telling me a different story why don’t you sit down I’ll make some coffee and we’ll talk about it.”

Sobbash handed me a cup of coffee Saio was sleeping and I started relating our trip to the Guardian to Sobbash in fairly graphic detail. Sobbash’s hand left her cup and reached for mine when I got to the part about the force field. Then she got wide eyed when I told her we were probed, and I myself, felt my dignity was being stripped from me as I stood there.

“I wonder if this how those exposed to the U.M.K. mind probe felt.” From there on the detail became less and my feelings became more confused. I still don’t remember most of the last day we were there it was a fuzzy dream that had moments of reality and yet I wondered if it had really happened… Sobbash jarred me back to reality.

“What you’ve just told me Noel. Have you told anybody else?” I answered no that I wanted to tell Risch but he and Samson were off early this morning. Sobbash placed her hand on mine and said. “Noel do you trust me?” I answered that I did and asked why that question all of the sudden. Sobbash didn’t answer instead she readied Saio for travel and before I knew it we were in the hover car on our way to the Village. Funny thing is I don’t remember the trip in any detail…

“Noel, Noel!” that voice, my mother’s voice. Why was she shouting at me? I opened my eyes the door to the hover car was open, my mother and Mia were trying to get me out of the seat. I motioned them away and I got out on my own accord. I looked to the other side of the car and found Sobbash and Saio staring at me. “What?” I said and Sobbash informed me we’d been here for the better part of an hour.

“One moment you were watching the trail, the next you were slumped in your seat. I got you here as fast as I could. I brought Doctor Sasoum and Mia to the car. They’ve been trying to get you out.” Sobbash was visibly shaken then she said. ”I though you had died.” Mother and Mia helped me into the Hospital and Sobbash went looking for Risch.

Risch and I had just finished the power couplings when Sobbash entered the lab. She handed me Saio and grabbed Risch’s hand. “It’s Noel. You have to come with me.” Sobbash dragged Risch out the door. I shut down our experiment. Saio and I followed about three minutes later. It didn’t take a genius to know where they went. Saio and I entered the hospital and found Sobbash in the waiting room. She took Saio from me and related the events of this morning to me.

“Noel passed out?” I asked. Sobbash nodded and said. “Out cold, she was barely breathing, at first I though she’d perished. Risch is with her now.” Sobbash held Saio close to her, she knew what it was like to almost perish she had practical experience in this matter. I saw Scholar and Lafiel enter the Hospital. One thing about living in a close-knit society it doesn’t take long for news to travel and bad news travels twice as fast. I left Sobbash and intercepted Lafiel and Scholar. I told them what Sobbash had said and they followed me to the waiting room.

It was about an hour before Risch came to the waiting room in that time Sobbash, Scholar and Lafiel had gone over the entire trip with Sobbash adding in those things Noel had told her this morning. Risch entered his facial expression said more than his words did.

“She’s had a nervous breakdown. Doctor Sasoum’s convinced it was triggered during the mind probe. Mia’s noncommittal she wants to review the tests before coming to a conclusion, Noel’s resting comfortably.” Risch sat next to me and said. “You’re going to have to go it alone for a bit, until Noel’s better at least if not longer.” I nodded Risch stood and approached Scholar and Lafiel.

“I’d like to know what exactly happened up there. No smoothing anything over pure facts.” Lafiel invited Risch to sit between them I took this moment for Sobbash, Saio and I to leave. We’ve heard this before and the day was taking its toll on Sobbash. I placed them in the hover car and we went home. Saio slept and Sobbash asked me to drive slowly, which I did and she took in everything that was around her. Once home we spent a quiet evening the three of us. However my mind was wondering what Noel was exposed to that caused this episode and could it later affect Lafiel and Scholar as it had effected Noel. I guess only time would tell.

Abh’s are not suppose to like planets however Shahrazad had a calming effect upon me. I’d spent the night in the inn, the Village’s only available quarters for non-residents. I was sitting outside having breakfast when my creunoc activated.

“Commander it’s the Captain he’s taken a turn for the worse. His condition warrants a facility better equipped than this ship can provide. I don’t think he’d survive a trip to the Capital. You better find Doctor Sasoum and have her contact me.”

I acknowledged the Chief Surgeons request and made my way to the Hospital. Finding Doctor Sasoum was going to be easy, unfortunately, Lafiel was there too. I wasn’t ready to face her, not now.

“Dai stop where you are.” Lafiel’s words were not unexpected. I continued in my travel, if Lafiel wanted to talk to me she would have to physically restrain me. As I opened the door to the Doctors office I heard Lafiel running down the corridor I entered the office with her hot on my heels.

Doctor Sasoum heard the commotion and entered the office from the adjoining examination room. “Commander what brings you here?” I loosen my creunoc and as Lafiel entered the room I gave it to Doctor Sasoum. “The Chief Surgeon asks that you communicate with him.” Lafiel stood to my left she was as puzzled as the Doctor was until the Chief Surgeon came on line and described Duhiel’s condition.

“Doctor, I’ll be brief. A file is already being downloaded to this terminal. The Captain suffered, what I thought at first was a spinal strain in the C1-C2 region he was making progress until about thirty minutes ago. Right now he’s in a field chamber on partial life support he’s having trouble breathing on his own and the gains in motor response have all been lost. I’m at a loss to describe in any more detail I’m not a neural surgeon just a country saw bones.”

“I see.” Doctor Sasoum said she turn toward me and asked. “Commander how experienced are you with planetary landings?” Lafiel grew angry she interrupted the Doctor. “I’ll get Duhiel if you don’t mind.” She said as went to leave. Doctor Sasoum grabbed her arm and stopped her. “You’re not going anywhere I need you here, I want to run some tests before your brother gets here, you are his closest living relative.” Lafiel stared at the Doctor and said. “It’s that serious?” The Doctor nodded.

“I’ll go and get him.” Noel’s voice said. We turned and looked toward the exam room Noel stood facing us. “I heard everything you’re going to need someone who is very gentle I’m the only person I can think of to do the job.” Lafiel went to voice her objection but Noel stopped her. “I can do this. I have to do it. Duhiel’s our only hope if he’s not able to rule well everything we’ve worked for will be lost.”

I had seen Duhiel’s temper before and I’d heard Lafiel’s was markedly worse. I was going to get first hand experience right now. I pulled my tunic straight, took a firm stance and came clean on the reason we were here. Noel shook her head, Doctor Sasoum rolled her eyes and Lafiel turned the loveliest shade of Bright Red I’d ever seen.

“Commander Lexshu.” Lafiel said. “Distant relative or not that has to be one of the…” Lafiel took several deep breaths her color was starting to return to normal and she continued. “You had Duhiel’s best interest at heart and in disobeying orders you might have saved his life for that I thank you.” She looked at Noel and said. “You better get going time is of the essence and take the Commander with you just incase.”

Noel seemed different from the last time we met her confidence in her self wasn’t as bold or arrogant as before. However her skills were as sharp as reported, that hover scooter ride to the shuttle is something I’ll never forget. As for the trip to the ship I understand why Duhiel spoke so highly of her she is a gifted pilot. About half way there Noel made a confession to me, a confession I at first was angry about, but after her explanation I understood.

“Commander you know I hold Duhiel in a very high regard in fact if you go deeper into my feelings, you could say I love him.” Those words set my blood boiling, and then she continued. “It’s not a romantic love it’s a love built out of respect just as one would love the Empress or Emperor, that’s how I feel about Duhiel I respect him and would gladly give my life to save his. Do you find that silly?”

Throughout my life I’ve always had restrictions to my happiness. Plakia’s shadow was my latest restriction but suddenly Noel’s words hit a hidden part of my being, a part I’d kept quietly locked away for my entire career in the Star Forces.

“No Noel I don’t find that silly at all in fact I’m a little envious, perhaps a bit jealous too.” Noel smiled. “Thought so figured you two had to be more than friends to do what you did, Lafiel’s going to be surprised.” Then I asked her about Risch. Noel’s answer was more than I expected.

“Risch? That’s simple, I love him more than words can describe. He’s been there always from the time he carried me from the ship before it exploded to everything else we’ve been through. Although it’s taken me a long time to realize how much I do love him, and how much he cares about me. You know if he knew I was up here he’d be…” She grew pale for a moment and opened a link up Risch’s voice rang throughout the flight deck.

“I figured it was you who blasted out of here, it was your signature departure, Lafiel told me why you left I just wished you would have said something a bit earlier. Are you okay?”

Noel answered that everything was fine and she’d see him in about two hours. I couldn’t understand Risch’s concern and until we landed. I didn’t know that the pilot next to me had suffered a nervous break down with a loss of consciousness less the twelve hours earlier. Duty makes one do incredible things.

“Did you know that left unchecked, Abh’s would produce one male offspring in every six births?” Doctor Sasoum’s statement somehow didn’t surprise me, our race had suffered from a female dominated population until the sickness on Sol-Eros dwindled our numbers in this case females were dying on a five to two ratio. I knew she was getting at something else though; she never made a statement like that without qualifying it.

“Abh’s tinker with the genetics of their young on several levels most of the time it’s after conception but in Duhiel’s case looks like they made sure he’d be male.” My skin crawled, selective breeding is something you do with lower animals not intelligent beings. However something Lafiel said came to the front of my mind and I stated it without thinking it through.

“Lafiel said she was a ‘natural Abh’, that there was very little tinkering done with her DNA. I would figured the same held true for her brother.” Doctor Sasoum shook her head and addressed me again. “You missed the point ‘one in six’ births are male, those two barely had enough time to conceive two let alone six offspring. By what I see in his workup he was what we call a rush job, his present problem can be traced to a sequence of DNA that’s inhibiting his body from healing itself. It’s part of the same sequence that was altered to insure him being male.”

I placed my head in my hands and tried to rationalize what Doctor Sasoum had said. Here was a race of beings that contrary to everything I’ve been taught create life on a tailored as needed basis. Yet they will also tell you that they are superior to those created as the Great Spirit wishes. In our defense all I can say is we don’t suffer from the genetic mistakes that I’ve seen in the race known as ‘The Humankind Abh’.

Duhiel was responding to the treatment Doctor Sasoum prescribed. I thought I was finally going to find myself relaxed when a message from the ship flashed across my creunoc. Central Command was aware of our location but not our present situation. Duhiel’s father was requesting an update. What was I going to tell him or more importantly how much of what I knew should I tell him? I sought out the only person who could help me, Lafiel. She had knowledge and experiences with Debeusec I would never have also she was governor of this world. Duhiel was technically in her care and before I said anything I figured I’d better clear it with her. Upon later reflection this proved to be one of my better decisions.

Lafiel wasn’t surprised when I approached her and told her Central Command had contacted me. I didn’t need to explain any further. Lafiel seemed aware of what was going on, she had already prepared a statement detailing Duhiel’s present condition and the reasons he was on this world. She handed me the data crystal and said. “Transmit the contents of this directly to my Father. I’ve encoded it; only he will be able to read it. Bring me his response once you’ve received it.”

Normally I would have used the shuttle I traveled in to transmit the data I’d been given. Since I came to this world on the transport that wouldn’t work because it had unloaded its cargo and returned to space already. The shuttle Noel and I had used to transport Duhiel planet side was docked at the island it was there I transmitted the data to Central Command more precisely to Duhiel’s father.

After receipt of the message was confirmed I was instruct to wait for a response. Twenty minutes later it arrived, I downloaded it into my creunoc and found Lafiel. She decoded the massage and said. “Typical of my Father. Do you want to know what it said?” I nodded and she handed my creunoc back. The message was not what I expected.

“Advise me of any changes to Duhiel’s condition and as we earlier discussed you are forbidden any contact with your brother.”

That’s how Lafiel knew what to say. Lafiel had contacted Debeusec and he was aware of the ship being here, but this warning about contact it angered me. I suddenly realized how important Lafiel and my conversations were, I was her only link with Duhiel. This newest revelation was not unexpected Duhiel had hinted about the agreement Lafiel had made with the High Council but I never heard of siblings being forbidden contact before. Lafiel asked me to keep this from all around her. I agreed and we took a walk in the garden.

“Dai when I was promoted to Admiral I took Jinto as my Chief of Staff. The reason was I trusted his input; he and I were so different at that time. He was the other side of the issue or conversation I couldn’t see. It was easier for me because I was falling in love with him too. You’re in love with my brother aren’t you?”

What is it with this branch of the royal family are they mind readers? I related the conversation Duhiel and I had then I realized it was the last words he had spoken to me before I left. My heart skipped a beat and it must have shown because the next thing I knew Lafiel was supporting me leading me to the bench in the garden by the roses.

“I never answered him I was so exhausted I went to bed then the next thing I knew I was here and he was…” Lafiel held me as I wept quietly. At that moment I realized how much I loved him, not as what he could be but as who he was. Lafiel and I talked for another hour then she invited me to have dinner with her and Jinto. The thought of going back to that lonely room in the Village didn’t intrigue me in the slightest. Lafiel’s offer was accepted.

“I just looked in on Duhiel he’s progressing nicely. What did you do?” Mia asked. I raised my head from the terminal and said. “Fixed an error in his original DNA sequencing. He’ll be fine now.”

I shook my head. Genetic tinkering left me feeling empty this wasn’t medicine as I’d been taught. “So the samples you took from Lafiel helped Duhiel?”

Doctor Sasoum kicked back in her chair, placed her hands behind her head, stared at the ceiling and said. “Lafiel was no help. She’s her father’s daughter and Duhiel’s his mother’s son. We are lucky though there was a suitable donor on the planet.” I stood there trying to figure out whom she was talking about, and then sensing my dilemma Doctor Sasoum answered the question. “Dai Lexshu is a distant member of Duhiel’s mothers family, however being Abh she had the correct sequencing to act as a donor. The Commander just saved her Captain’s life. Now with that said I have to tell Lafiel and Dai what has transpired. The outcome of that conversation could prove interesting, do you want to sit in on it?”

Usually I would have declined the offer but knowing Lafiel as I do and knowing a little about Commander Lexshu my curiosity was raised markedly. This was one conversation I didn’t want to miss. Doctor Sasoum found them at the Residence and reported on Duhiel’s condition. When she explained that Commander Lexshu and not Lafiel had been the donor what I thought would be dead silence, turned into a celebration that I wished I were at the Residence to experience first hand.

The conversation ended, Doctor Sasoum turned towards me and said. “Well that wasn’t what I expected not at all. I guess Lafiel and Dai have bonded, become sisters in a sense that also means Dai understands the limits placed upon Lafiel concerning Duhiel as well.” I was okay with the first part of the Doctor’s statement the last part didn’t make any sense until she explained it to me. My anger was evident I didn’t try to conceal at all. “This is your fair and honorable society? This is Abh justice? What a crock…” Doctor Sasoum interrupted me and said. “The system is fair and just for ninety five percent of the population. Those of the royal family are held to a much higher standard and with the responsibility come rules most other Abh’s would never accept. Don’t be so hard on them, just treat their illness, the ones you’re comfortable treating, the rest I’ll take care of.”

I was leaving the science building when I saw the lights on in my mother’s office. I owed her an apology for my earlier actions and my curiosity was driving me to find out what she was doing at such a late hour. I opened the door what I saw made me wish I’d never ventured in this direction.

“Come in Mia. You’re just in time to see the prototype activated.” The prototype as my mother call it was cybernetics taken to a level I’d never seen before. “Is it alive?” I asked cautiously.

My mother smiled and said. “Its not life as you define it Mia, but it is functioning on its own, its not aware, its just a proof of concept device. Once I’ve made the final adjustments I’ll deactivate it and start on the final product, a cyber brain without the flaw the Guardians originally had.“

She looked at me directly and said. “I know what killed off their race in a single night. They had perfected telepathy or so they thought. They produced bodies with unusual longevity and brains with unlimited power then they transferred those who wished to become immortal into those devices. However once in their new bodies the frail human subconscious took hold and with the power… Well one night they wished them selves to die and they almost all did.”

I stood dumbfounded my mother had just related the reason why they died and here she was recreating the very device, which had killed them. I moved towards the prototype with the intent of destroying it… My mother interceded.

“You didn’t let me finish Mia. You’ve jumped to the wrong conclusion.” Mother displayed the sequencing of the prototype I saw her minor modification to the unit and said. “You put a limiter in, you’ve made it to if someone tries to become a…” Mother nodded. “A god, the unit shuts down, it was the modification the Guardian directed me to accomplish. Mia I don’t think I told you, but we were given a few choices while we were there. One of them was to have our essences placed in their computer while the Guardian used our bodies to complete the task I have completed. You understand why I couldn’t agree to that exchange.”

Mother’s words left me unsettled to my very core. The thought of someone else possessing my body, that was a thought I didn’t want to think about any further. I apologized and watched as the final test were run on the device.

I’m uncertain how to explain Noel’s actions as of late. She’s changed once again. We talk, but the conversations are general in nature and shallow in substance. She seems intent on reading everything in the cottage. Books I never thought she would have interest in she devours with almost a fanatic zeal. Since her return from space she has taken to naps not sleeping for any length of time. The catnap king I called her. She ignored my comment and went along about her business. That was the first tip something was not right with her, normally, any mention of cats would spark a conversation. This time and other times that day she simply ignored me and went on her way.

I had spent my time working on the equations for the drive unit. Noel saw them on the table and scanned them intently then she went to lie down. I was amazed; she never had shown any interest in engineering yet I could swear she understood what she saw. It was later when I heard… I need to back up a second before I continue. Noel has been one to talk in her sleep most of the time it was nonsense partial conversation only her mind would understand. This conversation however was in a language I had never heard before. I activated my creunoc and recorded what she said. The conversation which seemed to be more an one sided argument that random sentences continued for about seven minutes at that time Noel rolled on her side, she had been flat on her back before this, and fell into a very deep sleep.

Stepping outside I called Doctor Sasoum and played her the conversation. She told me to not let Noel out of my sight until she got there. I went back inside and found Noel where I had left her sound asleep. I waited for Doctor Sasoum to arrive.

Mother and I were leaving her office when Doctor Sasoum found us. “Mia I’m sorry I know you’ve not had any sleep but you have to watch the Hospital until I return.” Before I could ask why or say anything Doctor Sasoum had grabbed mother’s arm and was pulling her away. “Scholar we got to go. Its Noel, she taken a turn for…” My mother stood steadfast instead of continuing to talk Doctor Sasoum played the creunoc recording Risch had sent her. Hearing that strange language my mother turned pale looked at me and said. “We’ll be back. I’ll let you know what’s going on as soon as I know.” She and Doctor Sasoum dashed off into the night. I stood completely confused; then I headed for the Hospital I knew that was the best place for me to be.

The sun was rising as Doctor Sasoum and I made our way to the island. This day would mark our first week back from the Guardian, this week has gone so quickly, it seems more like a couple of days than a whole week. We arrived and met Risch outside his cottage; he explained the past couple of days since Noel had her incident. We listened very intently, Risch was known for being a detail-orientated person the detail of his observations had both the Doctor and I convinced what had happened to Noel, asking Risch to wait outside the Doctor and I went inside.

Since we returned from the Guardian I’ve been waking before sunrise. This morning was no different however I left Jinto sleeping. Martine has weighed heavily on his mind as of late, there was wide spread greed and corruption that has left the planet in a state of turmoil. From his position in exile there has been very little he can directly do, but his shadow organization, the one Paveryua runs from the fuel depot, has made several inroads and is quietly assisting Teel Clint in restoring order.

I start the water heating up for this morning’s coffee. When he wakes I’m sure Jinto will make tea so that’s why we have hot water and not made beverages. I pour hot water into the cup, then add this remarkable coffee Atosuryua brought back with her and look out the window towards the sunrise. This has to be one of the more impressive sunrises that I’ve seen in recent history.

“Are they always that beautiful?” Dai’s voice said. I had sensed she was up and about but figured she would go back to sleep I guess I was wrong. “This one is impressive I’m glad you’re awake to enjoy it.”

Dai came to my side. We watched as the pale hues of blue, red and purple gave way to the golden sunrise on a vivid blue-sky background. I moved my creunoc and activated the camera I knew Jinto would appreciate this one and I’ll add it to our collection of sunrise, sunset, images.

I’m a creature of habit and part of my sunrise ritual is, once the sun has risen, to walk to the other side of the room and watch as the sun illuminates the rest of the complex. This is also when I usually find Noel out prepping the hot tub. I could use a nice hot soak this morning. I blink twice because the sight I’m greeted with is not what I expected to see. The Village medical response vehicle is sitting in front of Risch and Noel’s cottage. I slipped past Dai and putting on my shoes head towards their place. Dai is about thirty seconds behind me.

I was surprised when Scholar exited the vehicle along with Doctor Sasoum it only took a few minutes of explaining to realize why she was here. I told them how Noel had been acting lately her single minded purpose to read everything that was in the confines of this cottage, her accessing the computer databases and reading about subjects she had shown no interest in before.

“It’s like she is…” Scholar looked at me and finished my thought. “Learning everything there is to learn about us.” I nodded. Doctor Sasoum asked me to wait out here and she and Scholar went inside. The sun was rising it had the looks of a marvelous day yet I wasn’t feeling that way.

“Risch? Is everything alright?” Lafiel’s voice woke me from the nightmare my mind was preparing from me. “No it is not fine Noel is…” I stammered the past two days into one probably incomprehensible paragraph yet Lafiel and Commander Lexshu, who had arrived shortly after Lafiel did, seem to have an understanding of what I had said.

“Scholar and the Doctor are with her now. I don’t know what to think I just want Noel back.” The group had grown in the time I was talking to Lafiel and Commander Lexshu. Samson, Sobbash and Jinto had joined us. Lafiel took over and explained what was happening, she did a good job of it too. Another hour passed then Scholar came outside. She asked Samson and Jinto to follow her with a stretcher. A few moments later they came outside with Noel strapped to the device she was sedated. The Doctor came over to us as Jinto and Samson loaded Noel into the vehicle she addressed Lafiel directly.

“Whatever your plans for today are, forget them, we have a much greater need for you than anybody else does.” The Doctor paused for a moment to let Scholar join in the conversation. Scholar spoke what she said was completely unexpected.

“While we were at the Guardian. Noel picked up a passenger her mind now houses two completely diverse entities, one is her own the other is alien to her and this world. She’s losing the battle to maintain her uniqueness. We do not have the means to separate the alien from her only the Guardian does. We need to get her there now.”

Scholar stood motionless she opened her mind so the Guardian might see our plight, the Guardians response was direct and to the point. Once the instructions were received Scholar spoke to us.

“We are to waste no time in getting Noel to the complex and it is imperative she stay unconscious the entire time. We have been asked to limit our party to three excluding Noel. I’ve been requested to accompany Noel as well as Lafiel and Commander Lexshu. It seems Doctor, the Guardian feels your talents will not be needed this trip.”

Once again I became angry. Why does the Guardian only allow females to visit? I wanted to be with Noel to give her moral support but looks like I’ll sit this one out. I really have no other choice. I turn and walk away its Samson that stops me. “No sense in going back to an empty cottage. Sobbash and I would be happy if you would stay with us.” I agree and watch as Noel is taken to the shuttle and it departs towards the northern hemisphere. I wonder if I’ll ever see Noel again?

As we sped north Lafiel asked the question that was puzzling me as well. “Scholar why did they want Dai to come with us?” Scholar leaned back in her seat and said. “While I was linked to the Guardian they saw what I did their first choice was Sobbash until they saw Saio clinging to her leg. After that they chose the Commander, because they’ve never met her before. I don’t understand them I guess we never will completely understand that race.”

We arrived at the Guardian our guide met us and showed us to a chamber within the complex it was there we left Noel on a stone table. The Guardian addressed us through the guide.

“Please accept our most profound apology. We thought the one who has taken over her body to be dead long ago, but it seems he hid himself with in the network and entered her mind during our scan.”

Scholar asked what their plan was the answer was simple but unexpected.

“We will purge him from her mind there should be no lasting effects.”

Lafiel was not happy with the answer and restated the question. “How will you purge him from her mind?” The lights in the chamber dimmed and Noels body started to twitch violently. Lafiel and Scholar came to the viewing window and watched in horror as the Guardian drained the life out of her body. Throughout this Dai sat quietly staring at the wall oblivious to what was happening. Lafiel started towards her but the guide interceded. “You will leave her alone she must not be disturbed.”

Scholar took note then returned her gaze to the chamber. Noel’s lifeless body lay on the stone table, then as suddenly as it had happened she took in a deep breath and returned to the living. “She’s back.” Scholar said. Lafiel went to turn towards the window when she noticed a strange smile cross Dai’s face then her eyes closed and she relaxed in the seat.

One hour after they arrived Noel opened her eyes, sat up on the table; she turned towards the window and waved at Lafiel and Scholar. Dai, on the other hand, was in a deep sleep which neither one of them understood.

“The sleeping one will be fine in due course. We’ve returned your friend to you unharmed although she does carry the memories of the past week with in her. The one known as Borak has been eliminated, we are sorry for everything that has happened. As soon as you are ready you may leave.”

Our guide led Noel from the chamber it was about that time Dai awoke. Noel stood in front of Dai she gave her a big hug and said. “The Guardian was right in asking you to come. You made a most compatible host.” Dai nodded and said. “You have to teach me how to fly like you do.” Noel placed her finger over Dai’s mouth. “If I can remember cherry cheese cake then you should remember how to fly Commander.” Dai smiled. “This could prove very interesting I wonder how long the effect will last?”

“You will have those memories until you die. Usually we would have transferred your essence into the main computer but under the circumstances with time being critical, we moved you into her. For almost an hour you were one person sharing memories. Those memories will remain. We hope we haven’t caused you any problems in doing so?”

Dai looked at Noel and said. “You know I wasn’t their first choice, Admiral Sobbash was, there was something that prevented them for using her though.” Dai smiled and continued. “I guess being merged with Sobbash wouldn’t be such a good idea after all.” Noel chuckled. “You know good and well it wouldn’t. We need to go back. There is somebody we both care a lot about waiting for us to return.”

Lafiel shook her head and said. “This is just wonderful. Dai knows what Noel knows and Noel knows everything Dai knows. Just marvelous, simply marvelous I’m not going to guess who you two are pining over either.” Laughter filled the room as we were being led back to the shuttle. The trip home went faster because Lafiel let me fly while Noel sat and guided me. Well is Duhiel going to be surprised? You bet he’ll be.

It has been three weeks since our visit to the Guardian. Duhiel was well enough to return to the ship I decided to spend an extra day on Shahrazad this was another decision I’d second-guess for the rest of my life.

“Dai.” Lafiel was approaching my position, the look on her face told me something bad had happened. She stopped in front of me and said. “I can’t tell you… this communication just arrived… you better read it.” Lafiel handed me the electronic tablet I read it and dropped it to the ground as I finished.

“Decca Commander Dai Lexshu. Concerning your actions in disregarding orders and breaking protocol, you would normally be demoted three grades and removed from combat assignment. However in light of the condition of His Highness, the testimony of the Chief Surgeon and the good Doctor Sasoum we feel that your actions did contribute to saving the life of His Highness. For those actions you are hereby promoted to the rank of Hecto Commander and assigned to Admiral Bebaus intelligence gathering fleet effective immediately.”

That was the first message. The second came form Duhiel.

“Dai the council has decided without formal notice being given, they’ve taken you from me, well, they think they have. By the time you read this I’ll be gone. The orders were to leave at once and the heavy cruiser Johar is in orbit as I write this with orders to make sure we leave... I love you Dai. I’ll be back. Wait for me. Duhiel.”

I gazed skyward but the clouds blocked my view of space. I stared at the ground then finally looked at Lafiel. We took two steps towards each other embraced and cried till sunset.

That evening after dinner Admiral Bebaus contacted me. What he said was most unusual even for a Bebaus.

“Hecto Commander I’ll come to the point. Central Command told me to find somewhere safe to put you for the next five years. I have nowhere safe and they know it. Is Her Highness there? If so please have her join this conversation.”

I yelled down the hall and Lafiel was there in record time she stood next to me as the Admiral continued.

“Princess you’re looking well. I have a problem I need help with. Central Command has given me another headache, which I’m going to give to you. The Commander here needs to be kept safe for the next five years. Do you think you can handle that task for me?”

“Nefee I understand and I’ll be glad to help you out this time.”

“Excellent her orders will be arriving shortly Commander you’re the new intelligence officer for that sector anything funny goes on you tell the Princess about it okay? Good! See you in five years then...”

The display went blank Lafiel laughed out loud. I was quite confused. Once Lafiel regained her composer she said. “Intelligence officer for this sector Nefee is going to have the last laugh on this one. You know he despises Central Command with a passion don’t you?” I shook my head. Lafiel went into great detail on how the good Admiral was punished for something he didn’t do and has taken every opportunity to rub Central Commands nose in it. Lafiel said this was another time Nefee would have the last laugh.

This didn’t help me in the least Duhiel was who knows where by now and I’d have to wait five years to see him again I don’t think so. Lafiel must have sensed my anger or maybe I got a look she recognized but before I could leave she had me pinned to the wall.

“Dai don’t screw this opportunity up by letting your feelings for my brother cloud your judgment. You’ll not be planet bound. Atosuryua travels the secure parts of the galaxy. I’m sure we can find Duhiel on patrol somewhere and arrange a meeting so intelligence can be shared.”

Lafiel released me from the hold she had on me. Her words had hit me pretty hard. You would think she knew in advance or some how had a hand in getting me assigned to this planet. I felt pretty silly Lafiel sensed this and said. “I guess we need to find you quarters and you do have some unpacking to do.” I was confused until Lafiel led me down the corridor. She opened a door to a small stateroom there in the middle of the floor sat my footlocker. Noel sat on the chair next to it and said. “You should have been on that ride sister. I made record time to and from the ship before that hulking battlewagon arrived, and no I didn’t see him, they shoved the locker through the air lock and blasted off. I did the same.” We spent the rest of the evening unpacking and reminiscing. I slept well that night.

“Father I do not know why you have called but since you made the effort I wish to tell you something. Had you and the rest of our clan not lived in the Capital, it along with those jackals that inhabit it would be lying in ruins. When I become Emperor mark my words heads shall roll. Not even great grandmothers house cleaning will compare to what I have planned.”

Debeusec sat stunned his attempt to tell Duhiel about what had happened was greeted with such a venomous tirade. His son needs to be set straight, before he does something uncalled for.

“Your anger is misplaced Duhiel, listen to me before you say anything else. The decision to remove Dai came from Central Command not the Council. She was assigned to Admiral Bebaus he in turn assigned her to the planet Shahrazad. Duhiel, she is safe and free to travel at will. Now my very angry and foolish son if you want to become Emperor I strongly suggest you think things through before you act, however a little housekeeping, should you become Emperor, might have validity. We shall talk later be safe and wise my son.”

Duhiel snapped the display off and lay down on his bed. Their next assignment was in the former Hania strong hold. Considering his orders it looked as if Central Command was insuring his safety as well, but the means, in his mind at this moment, didn’t justify the action taken.

Debeusec sat staring at the blank display from behind he heard this. “He’s truly Plakia’s son she showed the same fire when I tried to separate the two of you.” Debeusec nodded and said. “Yet mother in the grand scheme of things neither Plakia or I was going to sit on the throne. Duhiel is almost assured of making the final selection, but I wonder if we are asking too much of these candidates too soon? Should Duhiel make his way through all the groups and become Emperor he’ll be the youngest in history. Will he have the experience and wisdom to govern or as he initially indicated will he clean house and plunge the Empire in to turmoil?”

Ramaj stepped from the shadows and stood next to her son. “You wondered why I sent the Johar to Shahrazad? I knew Duhiel was capable of such action. When he finds out it was I who spoiled his revenge his heart will change. He can hate me all he wills but in the end he knows I’m right.”

Six months has passed, Scholar delivered the goods as promised. Technological marvels by our standards, these were commonplace among the Guardians race. I watched as they were activated and those inside the central computer were transferred into their new bodies. There was no celebration as the three keepers stood admiring themselves.

“We thank you and now we must ask you to leave, there is much work we have to do and although you may be capable of supplying help, we still have secrets we are not willing to share, at this time, that is.”

I looked over at Lafiel and Scholar and said. “I guess that’s our cue to skidoo.” Lafiel shook her head. “You know, Dai was quoting you the other day. I’m really glad we didn’t share memories.” Scholar chuckled as we walked towards the shuttle, we turned once more to see the three keepers waving as we entered our craft and departed. I knew many good things would come from our efforts.

Being merged has left Dai and I with a broader understanding of not only each other, but also the universe that we live in, at first it was a little scary and quite unnerving, but we do not share every thought we’ve ever had. It is hard to describe what we felt while merged the only example I can think of is when an Abh interfaces with the ships A.I. infrastructure.

When you are interfaced you know what the ship does, you see things through its eyes, (sensors), and the A.I. in turn reacts with your conscious being. That is how Dai and I compare our experience; we interfaced, shared memories and became separate entities once again. I have to admit Dai has become the sister I never had and I am the same to her as well.

Since leaving the Star Forces and coming to live on this planet I’ve experienced more than decades of star service could have ever taught me. Abh’s are cheating them selves out of a unique look at the universe by not staying on a planet, in that way I feel a bit superior, not in an arrogant way, from the knowledge I’ve gain while living here.

Right now there are so many projects underway in the Village and on the island, that keeping track of them is becoming a full time enterprise that enterprise Dai and I have taken hold of and are steering it towards a positive outcome. I don’t dread the challenge and what we are learning is experience we’ll always be able to apply to life in general. At the moment we have a planning meeting to attend so if you’ll excuse us, we’ll talk later…

To Be Continued in: Life is a Learning Experience.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."