24_To Know Ones Self

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

24_To Know Ones Self

Post by Diaho »

To Know Ones Self

I’ve checked myself into Mia’s mental health clinic. This is the clinic she started about five years ago when we started having problems with our off world residents. The first few years, with just the Villagers and those around me we had no crime or criminal actions. It took about a year after we allowed those from other systems to live here and although nothing disastrous has happened there have been some serious crimes committed.

I need to explain something. Abh society is so structured and we are so engineered, that crime normally doesn’t occur. The punishment for most crimes is so severe there is no logical reason to commit crime. However Abh’s aren’t perfect and this world has turned out to be far from perfect.

Petty theft and domestic violence are what we suffer from mostly. The security forces were established about five years ago the same time this clinic started. Jails? We have one, it’s seldom used we usually deport the serious offenders as it is stated in the acceptance agreement which you sign once your application for residence is accepted. Like I said we’re not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but we’re still a young world.

After I was here overnight I realized I didn’t tell Jinto where I was going. I’ve had Mia inform him I’m safe in the Village but I don’t want him to know right now why I’m here. I hope he didn’t worry too much. Mia says I’ll need up to several months depending on how I respond. I’m nervous and confused but I also know twice in the past six weeks I could have done serious injury to people I really care about. Dai was right I enjoy inflicting pain on those around me. It was after I wailed on the tree that I knew how those around me felt when I got exceptionally angry. I can’t live like this anymore I need to know why I do what I do and find a way to resist the urge to inflict pain. Especially should Jinto and I have children, I’ll not hurt an innocent child in one of my fits of rage. I don’t think I ever could but I want to know for sure I want free of this behavior, my quick and uncontrollable temper. The review is starting Mia and Doctor Sasoum will question me in detail I must not hold anything back no matter how I feel.

Mia’s call calmed the fears I had about Lafiel’s whereabouts. I sit watching the morning turn into afternoon. Lafiel finally did it she is confronting her anger even though Mia didn’t say why Lafiel was in the village I knew, she left everything of any meaning to her here, including me, which meant she’s checked into Mia’s clinic. Mia once told me that an important part of the rehabilitation was complete isolation from everyone and everything around the patient. Since Mia was the one who called and not Lafiel its evident to me that’s what she’s done.

The call later that afternoon from Erin confirmed my earlier hunch. Erin and Li were assuming Lafiel’s duties and asked if I could be counted upon to assist in matters that they didn’t understand. I accepted without reservation. I now needed to talk to Sobbash I had to know if what she and Lafiel discussed concerned this world or was it a matter I wouldn’t have to worry about, as far as Erin and Li were concerned.

Sobbash was surprised when I informed her of where Lafiel was, it seems she had no idea Lafiel was about to do what she did, it doesn’t surprise me that Sobbash didn’t know. What surprised me was Sobbash’s reluctance to discuss what she and Lafiel had talked about.

After an hour Sobbash said. “Jinto to be honest what we discussed could affect this planet but if I was to tell anyone it could also alter how the future might play out.” Those words were chosen carefully Sobbash knew something of importance yet as she said this information in the wrong hands could alter the future. My first reaction to her statement was surprise, never had Lafiel kept anything of the gravity that Sobbash implied from me before.

Yet as I stood there observing Sobbash I knew she had made a promise to Lafiel not to tell a soul that also included me. There was no sense in pursuing this line of questioning any further I knew one thing about Sobbash from those days on the Basroil once she made up her mind to do something she gets a look, a change in attitude and expression. I saw those changes after her statement. I bid her a pleasant afternoon and return to the Residence. It’s there I find Dai waiting for me.

“Jinto have you seen Lafiel? We were supposed to have lunch and I can’t find her. Her creunoc is off line and I came here looking…” The look on my face stopped Dai. Then the next batch of questions came. “Do you know where she is?” I nodded. “Is she alright?” I sat Dai down and told her what I knew. Then I asked her what she said to Lafiel to get her to do what she’s done.

Dai looked puzzled for a moment and said. “She went to anger management? I told her she was behaving no better than the one who bullied her early in life and I knew for a fact she was a better person than that bully would ever be.” The light came on in my mind how foolish I had been all these years not to realize that the reason for Lafiel’s anger was a direct result of the beating she suffered all those years ago. I also knew besides the physical violence, there was verbal abuse from the one who beat her. I never made the connection; I always figured that Lafiel’s quick temper was a family trait. I would have never thought the cause was from an outside source.

I invited Dai to join me for dinner. She accepted with the condition that we dinned in the Village somehow the thought of her and I being alone at the Residence didn’t sit well with her. I agreed, I really wasn’t in the mood to cook and the Village food on this night would be acceptable. We passed Samson and Risch as we headed for the hover car. I briefly explained to them where I thought Lafiel was and that Dai and I were going to the Village. They headed for their homes and we headed for the hover car. Dai looked at me when we got to the car and said. “You said we were going to the Village but you didn’t say why was that done on purpose?” I nodded and entered the car.

“Hmmm, now that was interesting.” Samson heard my words but he was still watching Dai and Jinto as they headed for the hover car. “Yeah… Not only did Lafiel seek help but Jinto, I wonder what those two are up to?” Samson turned towards me. “I think the four of us should have dinner tonight. Saio’s staying with Nasse a sleep over with the girls. I think we need to discuss this turn of events eh?” I nodded. We made our way home and met at our place in an hour. Noel’s a fair cook, Sobbash had a dinner prepared so we expanded what we had and made it a dinner for four.

Sobbash sat quietly through dinner while the topic of Lafiel was discussed. Noel asked her if she knew anything about what triggered this event and when she said she was the cause. The room grew as quiet as space itself.

Noel started to pry and Sobbash cut her off. A large bottle of apple wine sat on the table Sobbash poured a glass three quarters full and gently swirled the liquid. She removed her gaze from the glass, looked Samson in the face and said.

“I am so jealous of you my love.” Returning her gaze to the glass she continued. “I’ve seen what two or three glasses full of this does to you and I want to have that feeling right now. That mind numbing, aloof, to the point of passing out, feeling of being intoxicated. I envy you; those nights when you came home grabbed a couple of drinks and slept like a log. I long to be able do that right now.”

Sobbash downed the wine in one gulp. She sat the glass down took the bottle and filled it again. This glass full disappeared as fast as the first one did; she filled the glass a third time and contemplated the wine in the glass.

“You know it would take several bottles of this to get a mild buzz. It’s the curse of being Abh. It’s also the curse of doing something once, then promising yourself to never do it again, but getting talked into doing it once more.”

Noel reached for Sobbash’s free hand she took it, looked her in the eyes and asked. “Lafiel or Painiach?” Sobbash didn’t blink… “Lafiel…” She said and downed the third glass as fast as she could. She went to pour the fourth which would drain the bottle and Noel stopped her. “That’s all I have Sobbash you’ll not drink it all in one sitting.” Sobbash placed the empty glass on the table along side her plate and said. “I can answer a few questions, if you ask and if I don’t respond please accept that and don’t push the issue.”

Noel released Sobbash’s hand and looked at me I knew what those two had been through with Lafiel and Painiach I had no questions I wanted to ask. In the mean time Samson had made his way to Sobbash’s side. “This is why you’ve not slept well? I know we said there would be no secrets but if Lafiel told you and you promised I’ll accept that and not pry.” Sobbash looked in my direction I smiled and said. “Tell me what you can, when you can.” Sobbash smiled and wiped away the tears.

We didn’t discuss Lafiel the rest of the evening, Samson excused himself and returned with two bottles of apple wine one to replace the bottle Sobbash almost drained and one for Sobbash to consume if she so desired. Sobbash finished the rest of the first bottle and quietly hummed while we finished dinner.

Captain’s log: We’ve finished the final transfer I’ve gotten everything on the list and more I also managed to find three cases of aged apple wine a last minuet request from Jinto. What he wants it for?? I also reported the absence of the patrol fleet. Dai’s message is still here there was no one to deliver it to but I’ll inform Dai in person when I return. Including the detour for Jinto’s wine we should arrive at Shahrazad in five days. Log close.

Personal log: There is something very wrong. Star Forces units that have been on assignment for months in this sector have suddenly vanished and the planetary governments can not get a satisfactory answer from the Capital as to when the guard fleet will return. We are on our way to Martine to pick up the aged apple wine Jinto requested. I’ll speak with Paveryua when I arrive and see if he has any idea of what’s going on. Log close and locked.

There is something else I can not log. Lafiel is; what were those words Mia used? Oh yes, in isolation until further notice. Just what is that suppose to mean? I tried to inform her of Duhiel’s sudden departure and I got the second team Erin and Li. Don’t misunderstand me those two do an excellent job with the planetary governing but Lafiel out classes them in the total picture.

The other thing that bothers me is the amount of supply convoys that we’ve encountered on this trip. My experience tells me that something big is brewing but since most of the UMK has surrendered what new force are the Abh planning on confronting? Look after what I’ve seen moving around this make some of my battles look trivial. Unless they finally found the rebels base and plan to wipe them from space.

Dai and I had a nice dinner there was plenty of small talk. Samson’s request for three cases of aged apple wine came as we finished the main course. I got a hold of Atosuryua and had her detour to Martine. I knew Paveryua has an ample stock pile and there was a diplomatic pouch I wanted Atosuryua to hand carry back. Dai is an interesting person she has some of the characteristics of the late Captain Lexshu, although I didn’t know Plakia that well, from the conversation we had on the Gosroth and from what I’ve learned over the years I feel safe in comparing the two of them. I see why Duhiel likes Dai. Unlike many command officers’ Dai still has a playful innocence about her. She has learned so much in the time she’s been here and the willingness to keep learning is quite refreshing. We finish dinner she heads to her quarters and I go looking for Scholar.

Scholar was in her office she was happy to see me it had been awhile since we last spoke. She and Lafiel usually did the daily conversations.

“Mia has Lafiel. I’m sure she’s getting the best care possible.”

I made my way to her desk and placed a data crystal in her hand.

“Better have a look at this; you should know it’s a preliminary assessment. The complete package Atosuryua is bringing back from Martine.”

Scholar viewed the contents of the crystal her eyes widened and she said.

“Is that so? I wonder what they are up to.”

I shook my head.

“Don’t know it might be normal reassignments but the scale is staggering to say the least.”

We talked for a bit and on my way back to the hover car I met Erin. She was pleased to see me and very concerned about Lafiel. I told her that what Lafiel’s doing she should have done years ago but now is as good a time as never. Erin said she would consult with the Great Spirit hoping he would help Lafiel find peace and a rapid recovery. Erin continued on her way I watched as she walked off and thought how Lafiel would feel knowing Erin was going to pray for her speedy recovery. Although Abh’s don’t believe in gods Lafiel has taken interest in the villagers Great Spirit I guess we shall see. I know I’ll not see Lafiel for quite sometime to come but I have enough things to keep myself busy.

Personnel log: We’ve arrived at Martine. The system is deserted only a few traders are about. The patrol fleet left ten days ago. I found Paveryua and his military counter part at the fuel depot. The conversation was enlightening, the wine and documents are sitting in my cabin. I return to my earlier observation there is something going on and it would seem on a very large scale. My best guess from what I’ve seen is a thousand fleets have been redirected somewhere to do something. Since we make better time in normal space and there doesn’t seem to be any activity between our present position and Shahrazad we are taking the direct route which will knock twenty hours off our arrival and also be easier on the crew and our cargo. Log closed and locked.

What are those ships up to and where are they at? That question is foremost in my thoughts as I sit on the bridge. I’ve got navigation scanning at the maximum range the first sign of any thing and I’ll bring this ship to a halt. Even though the Ku Dorin is a transport doesn’t mean it can’t defend itself. Thanks to the Grand Duchess Spoor we are well armed and my crew’s not afraid of a fight. Arrival at Shahrazad is in less than eighteen hours at our present speed. I will be happy to see that world again. Our next trip may not be for sometime, traveling in unguarded space is not an inviting prospect.

Atosuryua arrived at midnight, almost a day early. I’ve read her report, scanned what Paveryua sent and I’m on my way to meet with Scholar it should be noted that it is two in the morning. I arrive to find Scholar, Erin, Li and the Council waiting. I present the information that I have, combine it with has been gleaned from other sources and shortly after sunrise we come to one conclusion. The Star Forces are amassing a very formidable fleet however the location and purpose of this fleet is still unknown.

Scholar pulls me aside as Erin and Li lead the council members out of the room and says.

“You’ve been in the Star Forces have you ever seen a movement of like this before?”

I explained that early in the war we saw fleet movements of this type but since the ‘Lesser Peace’ the Star Forces have been spread so thinly that a movement of this sort would leave vast areas unprotected. I was at a loss to explain any further I suggested we seek out Lafiel’s council on this, that’s when Scholar informed me that Lafiel was in isolation and not to be disturbed no matter what.

“This is annoying, just when we can use Lafiel’s experience and expertise she not available.”

I retrieved the pouch and left the room. It was time I shared this information with the rest of the staff maybe somebody knew or maybe Lafiel mentioned something in passing to… Sobbash! Damn why didn’t I think of that sooner. I stopped by Lafiel’s office and looked for any information she might have had there. The only thing I found was a destroyed data crystal it was then I knew Sobbash knows something extremely important. I called Risch and ask that Samson, Sobbash, Noel and he meet me at the Residence in thirty minutes. I got in the hover car and was back in twenty minutes.

There wasn't time to explain everything. I placed the information on the table and let everyone take turns reading it. At first Sobbash was hesitant to read the documents but once she got started she attacked them with a great zeal to the point of taking the last pages from Noel who was trying to finish them. Sobbash finished the document returned the pages back to Noel she had taken. She then walked over to the display activated it and said.

“We need to send a cloaked probe here as soon as possible.”

The area was just off the Sord that led to the transfer point. Sobbash then turn to us and continued.

“If there is a fleet here, I explain in more detail. If not then my hunch is wrong and we’ll leave it at that, for now.”

Sobbash’s loyalty to Lafiel was well known to all of us. I was hoping Sobbash would come clean, but she didn’t which leads me to believe that some how Shahrazad is involved, a feeling Noel expressed later on as well. Samson and Risch would prepare the probe, take a shuttle, slip into the Sord and launched it. We would know in about five hours what was out there.

I excused myself from the room and headed outside. Standing on the overlook watching the sun reflect off the lake I tried to take stock of the present situation. I needed to act as Lafiel would, no that wouldn’t work, I needed to be my own person, to do this as I saw best, which is what I’ve done so far. My staff now knows and I’ll expect their input from here on. Then there’s the Village I’m of the opinion to leave them in the dark until we have something solid to go on. I see no reason to start a panic or anything of the sort until we know what we are facing, if anything.

Noel is standing exactly three meters behind me having been modified has a few advantages.

“Something’s on your mind or you wouldn’t be out here.”

She starts towards me, stands one meter off my left side, looks across the lake and says.

“Sobbash knows much more than she’s telling I feel we are in danger.”

“Noel I know that but we can’t force her to tell us. I’m not Lafiel I won’t threaten her so for the moment we wait and hope the probe finds nothing.”

The sound of the shuttle departing is heard; Noel and I venture back inside to find Sobbash standing before the display laying out a system wide defensive grid.

“Okay Sobbash you mind explaining what you’re up to?”

She said nothing, cleared the display and left the room. Noel watched as she left, then she turned to me and said.

“Maybe someone else needs to see Mia and take a little vacation.”

We needed Sobbash that wouldn’t do at all and I expressed my feelings to Noel on the subject. Noel left me and headed back to her place I found Sobbash standing on the overlook taking in the lake. I stood next to her, not a word was spoken and after ten minutes she headed back to her place. I stood and watched as the winds picked up the waves were starting to white cap ever so slightly. I found that an ominous sign. It was this waiting and not knowing that was upsetting me. It was something I never did very well, however it was something Lafiel was an expert at. I miss Lafiel; this is the longest we’ve been separated since her Captain’s training all those years ago.

In Painiach’s absence I’m running the fuel depot. This was one of those ‘family’ related trips and since I’m not family and personally I can’t stand her sister. I decided to stay here and watch the fort. On the surface the past weeks have been routine until you look closer. Refueling is down and the amount of tonnage has also decreased. Couple that with Atosuryua’s short in time, but long in distance trip she just finished, I’ve just seen the Ku Dorins’ fuel sheet she either ran half way across the system or ran at max speed for a very long duration or a combination of both. About two hours ago a shuttle left the planet and entered the Sord now that’s not all that unusual with the exception that Risch and Samson were aboard, those two hardly ever go any where since the ‘drive’ tests were completed. I’ll keep an eye open and see when they return.

Painiach hasn’t checked in today, again that’s nothing out of the ordinary, so I’ll let that go too, but that shuttle departure that has my curiosity peaked. I wonder what those two are up to.

“You know Kufadis scanned us right before we entered the Sord?” Samson said. I nodded I was hoping he did so somebody else besides that very confused group planet side knew we were out here. The probe would be launched in plane space. It wouldn’t cloak till it reached the transfer point. I’d like to thank the Suran for this little toy something I commandeered from their supply ship before they were thrown out of this system. Thanks to that device Samson and I created this device, our design, their cloaking. It’s worked very well in the past.

The plan is for the probe to enter the area in question cloaked if it finds nothing it is to return should something be there it’s program is set to record for about a half hour then return or sooner if it feels it maybe detected. The A.I. on the probe is quite sophisticated another little marvel that our workshop has produced. It can sense when it’s in trouble and make tracks away from most dangers. We did lose a prototype in an ion storm but we’ve programmed in that possibility as well. Now we wait.

I hadn’t realized I’d dosed off till the alarm rang. The probe had encountered some kind of trouble and was almost back to the shuttle. I made a long range scan and found nothing trailing the probe. Samson and I recovered the probe and returned to the planet once there we realized what the probe had encountered. By the damage inflicted I’m guessing it appeared in the middle of a full scale battle. How it wasn’t destroyed is beyond me. The data banks took damage but I felt we could salvage the data. I’ve called everyone to the workshop; it is the only place to extract the data when the unit is damaged as badly as this one is.

“Look Kufadis, I’m stuck here, the Sords blocked, unless I want to take the Lashkau and punch my way out, I’m here. Now what’s so damn important you have to wake me in the middle of the night?”

I told Painiach that three hours ago Shahrazad went defensive and all contact had been cut off. The platform was manually armed and pointed at the Sord.

“Oh my stars do you have any idea what’s happened?”

I told her no idea what so ever but it happened shortly after Samson and Risch returned from the Sord. Painiach’s transmission starts to garble but I can hear her in the background ordering the Lashkau to depart as soon as she is aboard she tries to say something to me and the comm. link is broken I can no longer use the long range communications system it’s being jammed. I opened a link to Shahrazad and transmit in the blind requesting somebody down there say something. Jinto shows up on a discrete and scrambled frequency.

“Sorry Kufadis I forgot all about the depot I’ll make a long story short… We sent a probe to the transfer point on a hunch. What it returned with are the remnants of a battle which it looks like the Abh lost. BADLY! We’ve aimed the platform at the Sord with the intent of blasting anything that comes through.”

“That’s wonderful Jinto but you should know Painiach is on her way here with the Lashkau and the support group. I’d wait to see who you’re blasting first. Also all long range communications have been jammed we’ll not know it’s the Lashkau till they leave the Sord and I’m sure Painiach is going to have to fight her way here.”

My display becomes active I’m being sent what I found out later was the salvaged data from the probe. The Sord transfer point is littered with dead and dying ships most I recognize by class and outline there are others I’ve never seen before, but the carnage, I’ve never seen on a scale this massive before almost half a light second radius was a grave yard. There must have been a thousand ships, maybe more. Jinto says if we wish to evacuate the depot he’ll send the Ku Dorin to help. I told him we were low on staff and he could use a second set of eyes scanning the system. I put the depot on alert and had the tactical staff scan the region while Shahrazad watched the Sord and nothing else. We waited. Painiach, if nothing held her up would be here in thirty six hours. Three days, I hoped we would be here in three days.

Scholar took the news badly she left the Council and made her way to the messengers that the Guardian had sent. She made it plain that a meeting needed to happen now and that any delay could mean the end of this world. Granted nobody knew that for certain but Scholar was taking no chances she knew those who created this world would not take this news lightly either. Scholar had a hunch that the Guardian could communicate with the messengers and she was right given the news and supporting documentation one messenger stood in the field and telepathically communicated with those in charge.

“You and you alone may bring a shuttle; the three wise ones wish you to come. Now!”

Scholar wasn’t checked out in the shuttles but like she said later necessity is the teacher of all. A shuttle left that afternoon with Scholar on board it returned later that evening with the wise ones and Scholar. An impromptu meeting was held at the council chamber. After viewing the data from the probe the wise ones informed us that those who attacked the Abh were known to them and there was a way, well a thousand years ago, to defeat them.

“Zu’har”, the wise ones called them, a race of beings devoid of compassion. They existed to conquer and destroy anything not compatible with their race.

“We defeated them almost one thousand years ago. There was a great debate on whether to spare those taken prisoner or for the betterment of the galaxy annihilate the race. The ones who showed compassion won out, the race was spared, and it seems we made a terrible mistake.”

Scholar stood and activated the main display. She overlaid a star chart upon the display. The wise one studied the star chart and said.

“You are correct, that was the location of the battle, but how did you know?”

Scholar enhanced a portion of the chart there we saw the answer. A system was displayed within it was the planet Sol-Eros. Scholar turned her attention to the wise ones and said.

“We crashed on that planet due to the damage we took while you had your battle. We were witness to and part of the carnage. It is surprising that no one saw us crash we did send out a distress beacon but given what you’ve said I guess it was a good thing we weren’t found.”

The wise ones studied the star chart, after consultation between themselves, they approached Scholar and said.

“We knew a ship crashed but we didn’t have the resources to investigate. We are sorry we left you stranded on that world. Our knowledge and resources are yours to use. We will help you defeat the Zu’har under one condition.”

Scholar rose, faced them, she studied their faces and said.

“This time they all must perish, there can be no survivors. I’ll assume that’s the condition?”

The leader of the wise ones added something that brought a stifling silence to the room.

“No survivors means, not only complete annihilation of their attack fleet, but their home world and any bases in between. We can not allow one mating pair to survive. We have the means to destroy them but not the means to deliver it. That’s where you come in.”

Jinto once told me of the early days of his race and the planetary conflicts they had. I never understood the term ‘I hope the Calvary arrives in time’ until now. We are making slow progress towards Shahrazad. We’ve encountered the remnants of several Abh fleets. What ever happened, it’s taken a massive toll. All long distance communications are jammed several Sords are unusable. I wonder what we’ll find when we get to… I hope they are still there.

Isolation and reflection that’s what Mia said. It’s been three weeks it seems like three years. My room my world for now is six meters square. I have a bed, table, chair and sofa. There is a window but it faces the forest all I see are trees and an occasional animal. A staff member checks on me every six hours and Mia arrives around dinner. We talk, actually I talk and Mia listens.

I’ve had one extremely emotional outburst and it was also quite violent. I decided on day ten that I didn’t want to be here any longer. I tried to overpower the staff member that’s when I realized how well I’m being watched. I almost had him subdued when another six members rushed into the room. I was sedated and lost another day out cold. It was then my rehabilitation commenced in earnest.

I must admit Mia knows more about me than probably anyone, myself included, does. I know that sounds strange but in the course of unraveling my life. I’ve told her things I’ve had so repressed I was even amazed when I said them to her. Things Jinto doesn’t know and some things Jinto will never know. I know where the anger originated and I understand why I let it manifest itself to the point I had to seek help. One word, pride, my stubborn overwhelming pride and not being able to accept failure has placed me in my present condition.

I took a beating physically and emotionally once a long time ago. My pride would not let me consider that I might have been bettered by another person. I always looked at it as my failure to defend myself; however Mia added a new wrinkle to the story. She asked if this person purposefully did that to me so I would fail later in life. She entered into the joust with the intent of doing me great emotional as well as physical harm. I cried for a day I never thought another Abh could be so cruel and now that Abh was my brother’s first officer.

Our daily conversations are making progress. I’m beginning to understand myself on a scale I never dreamed of. I ask Mia how everything is outside of this place, she say’s everything is going along smoothly. I readily accepted what she said as fact I later found out it was not. I also know the pressure she was under from not only Scholar and the Council, but her wish to see me healed. She knew as long as the situation didn’t escalate and those around me could handle it, my mental health was her prime concern. I wondered how well she slept those nights knowing what she knew but unable to tell me.

“Five hours to the Sord, Admiral.” Those words I never thought I would hear considering the events of the past three days. We’ve encountered a devastated fleet and have done some fighting on our own. I know not those who we attacked but their single ships equaled the firepower of this highly modified battle cruiser. We’ve taken damage and have suffered some losses. Five hours. I hope there’s a fuel depot and repair base at Shahrazad if not death in normal space is always preferable to plane space.

Too quite, that’s how it’s been since Samson and Risch returned. We’ve tried several times to establish long range communications all we’ve gotten was static. Early on the third day a Hania bound freighter arrived and asked for shelter at the depot. Kufadis took them in and found out how bad the situation was. He forwarded a report planet side it painted a very gloomy picture.

The Zu’har attack lasted thirty hours then they retreated into the twelfth ring, an area we thought devoid of life. This was the area we conducted our light speed test. I wonder if those test brought them to us. I tried to put the thought out of my mind, a half hour later I was in Scholar’s office relating my concerns to her and asking, no almost pleading to have Lafiel released this was becoming more that I alone could handle. Scholar refused my request and told me I could do this in fact she had been impressed by my efforts so far.

“Jinto don’t sell yourself short, you’ve got the ability to do this. You’ve been in Lafiel’s shadow long enough. Remember it’s not you, it’s all of us. Use the resources you have, don’t be a one person army.”

Scholar, as always, hit a nerve that at this moment was actually pretty numb. I stood watching her face the smile that responded to my look of concern told me I could do this. But Lafiel and I were a team almost from the first. Having half of you missing still sets doubts within you. I left her office just as my creunoc activated.

“Jinto I’ve made contact with the Lashkau they’ll be here in thirty minutes. They’ve taken damage and have several ships in need of emergency repair. I hate to ask but can you spare an engineering crew?”

I told Kufadis a crew would be enroute shortly. My creunoc flashed a message from Risch he had heard Kufadis and said they would launch in ten minutes. I returned to the Residence informed Noel and Sobbash of the fleets arrival and condition.

Noel was at the platform controls she would ascertain that only the Lashkau and support vessels came through the Sord, anything else stood a good chance of being vaporized. Sobbash stood at the main display her defensive grid had been activated since the probes return.

“Jinto you know we can’t defend the planet if they launch an attack of any strength.”

I faced Sobbash; we had traveled this road before, although it was in space and not on a world with at least ten thousand lives involved.

“Let’s see what condition the fleets in and decide. Have we heard back from the wise ones?”

Sobbash shook her head Noel followed suit, come to think of it Scholar said nothing either I wonder what’s happening up north. I know they are few in number but they said the weaponry would be ready two days ago. Scholar says I can handle this without Lafiel I pray she’s right.

The Lashkau berthed five minutes ago. I wait at the airlock the seal is being established. Painiach is the first one off the ship. Instinctively I salute her and welcome her home. She returns my salute and falls into my arms.

“Kufadis.” She whispers. “I’m so happy to be here with you and I’m also glad you didn’t see what I’ve seen.”

She makes her way to the depot office, takes her seat and opens a secured link to Jinto. I listen to her report, my skin crawls as she goes into detail of what they encountered.

“Jinto the things you should know are. They are equal if not superior in technology and fire power, they will not be taken prisoner and take no prisoners. We tried twice to capture a ship to analyze it and both times they self destructed. I’ve heard stories of ships trying to either surrender or escape and they were unmercifully destroyed. What we are dealing with, as far as being cold and ruthless, they make the Royal family look like amateurs. There were times I could swear we were fighting computers instead of life forms. Jinto I’ll be planet side then the four of us can discuss this.”

Jinto stopped Painiach, he informed her Lafiel was unable to help and the reason why. Painiach’s expression grew angry and the communication ended. She stared at the display and said.

“Anger Management, of all the sad excuses I’ve seen that’s got to take the lot. Kufadis, we leave as soon as possible. I’ll put an end to that nonsense once and for all.”

Painiach’s conversation led me to believe not only was she on her way here but she planned on interrupting Lafiel’s treatment. That was something I would not tolerate. Moving to the arms locker I removed a laser pistol and three power packs. I also informed the security forces that the Grand Duchess was heading planet side they were to meet her and escort her to the Residence. I also authorized the use of appropriate force if she failed to accept my invitation.

Making my way down the corridor I entered the ‘war room’ and found my staff waiting. I informed them of Painiach’s conversation and asked if the Guardian had communicated. I no more finished my sentence when the alarm sounded. Noel scanned her display and said the disturbance was planet side from the Guardian’s location a massive energy surge and a large object moving towards the surface.

Sunlight was just illuminating the Guardians location our first orbital images were a bit dark, however it appeared, that a large underground door was open and an object was being raised towards the surface. Noel switched the image from her display to the main viewer. Samson and Risch were in awe.

“It’s a ship.”

They said and as it became illuminated we realized how large of a ship it was. Noel laid the grid over the object and we approximated its dimensions. A rounded arrow tip would best describe its appearance. I was trying to figure out its purpose, when Risch exclaimed.

“Samson look, a star drive is installed, and those weapons, I’ve only seen those in research drawings.”

The sun had finally illuminated the site and they were right. A warship sat just in front of the solar arrays at the Guardians location. This ship dwarfed those arrays. Noel figured it spanned eight hundred meters and was at its deepest two hundred meters. I searched our database for an outline that matched this ship. The computer classified it as a modified boomerang shape. Calling up the definition I had to agree it was more that shape than a rounded arrowhead.

The picture began to distort as the satellite was moving out of range it would be another fifteen minutes before the next one would scan the area. I had Noel transfer the images to a data crystal and asked if Samson would accompany me to the Village. Before Samson could answer Risch volunteered. Samson was comfortable with Risch going and I didn’t argue. We left shortly there after.

“Sorry ma’am our orders are to escort you to the Residence. Entrance to the Village is prohibited.”

Five of those armed goons Lafiel hired as a security force were keeping Kufadis and me from entering the Village. I knew we should have armed ourselves. I was about to accept our fate when a hover car approached from the island. The car landed next to our position, Jinto and Risch exited the car. Jinto was armed it appeared that Risch was not. They moved towards us as I was going to speak Jinto said.

“I figured you’d try to get to Lafiel. That is not going to happen; I will do everything in my power to prevent you from seeing her. Do you understand me Painiach?”

I understood, I didn’t like it, but I understood Jinto. I expressed that to him; he paused and gave me two choices. Stay where we were until he returned from the Village or accompany him to Scholar’s and not to try anything contrary to his request. Stay in the sun and bake or go to Scholars office and promise to behave. I was not in the mood for a suntan and Scholar was someone I wanted to talk to anyway. We agreed to Jinto’s conditions and the five goons followed us. Somehow I knew we weren’t going to lose them that easy. To Scholar’s office we go.

“Mother, Lafiel’s making excellent progress I think we can introduce her back in another week or so. However given the present situation, I wish we had told her everything as it transpired, the sudden influx of information could…”

Jinto’s unannounced arrival stopped my thought. He had Risch, Spoor, Kufadis plus an armed detail with him. He invited me to stay as he produced a data crystal and asked Scholar to view it. The images were astounding I never saw a ship like that before, however my mother recognized it at once.

“It’s been a long time since one of those roamed the galaxy. I figured they had to be from this place. I’ve had these reoccurring visions lately.”

I approached my mother. “Visions? You’ve had visions and not expressed them you know that’s not allowed.”

Mother was not in the mood to be lectured by me or anyone else. She pointed to a chair in the corner of the room and suggested I sit in it and say nothing further. I sat and said nothing else. Jinto then asked Scholar.

“Is this the same ship or could this one be different?”

Scholar accessed the Village database and produced an image of the ship from a century ago. Risch studied the images and concluded they were the same basic design however the ship on this world is a heavily modified version of the one from a century ago. Risch copied all the data from Scholar’s terminal he would do a detailed study once they got back to the Residence.

Jinto then excused himself and as they were going to leave Spoor asked how long would it be before she could see Lafiel. Scholar deferred the question to me I told Spoor when she was ready I’d informer her. Spoor did not like the answer and left, as Jinto was leaving he faced us both said thank you and smiled.

Another sunny, calm, cheerfully BORING day, there are times I question my sanity. Yesterday was one of those times, today started out differently? Mia showed up early we talked for about two hours and she left, but as she left, she said she would be back later. Two visits in one day that was very unusual. Also I sensed an urgency in Mia I hadn’t before it was like there was something she wanted to tell me but… No I could not imagine anything so disturbing that Mia would keep it from me, unless, what Sobbash and I discussed has come to fact but, Jinto would have been here earlier if that was true. I’m reading too much into one conversation.

Breakfast has been delivered I’ll eat it and rest for awhile. When Mia returns I think I’ll do a little questioning of her as to what the world is really like outside of these four walls. I’ll question her not grill her, we’ll see if I can keep my composure or not.

Jinto left us I continued to tell Scholar how well Lafiel was progressing and how I felt she needed to know what was happening as soon as possible. Scholar took in the information and said we should bring Lafiel up to speed as soon as possible. She showed me a message from the wise ones she hadn’t shared with Jinto. It said a ship was ready to go but Lafiel had to be its Captain. The crew would consist of those from here and twenty of the Guardians to explain the systems. However none of the Guardians would enter into battle for a reason not specified in this message.

Scholar rose and faced me she told me that if the Zu’har found this world before we found them all would perish. She figured that the star drive test left a signature that the Zu’har traced to this system, a signature of those who almost destroyed their race and they were here for one thing and one thing only Vengeance. It would seem the Abh were only an annoyance, once the Zu’har figured out the Abh were not the Guardians they withdrew probably to regroup and scout the system it wouldn’t be long before they found Shahrazad and the secret it contains.

“We’ll talk to Lafiel once I can tell Jinto, in confidence, the contents of this message. If Spoor hadn’t been with him I’d told him, but Spoor is a hot head we don’t need her type this has to be a cold calculating attack. Right now the element of surprise is on our side we know where the Zu’har are located; they on the other hand have no idea where we are. A round about attack from some where we’re not, just incase we are defeated, is our best course. Spoor won’t fight like that she’ll charge straight into battle and leave a trail they can follow back to us.”

I listened and understood what Scholar said there was one important set of facts she’s missed in all of this I refreshed her memory.

“You’ve forgotten one thing mother. Our fighting forces are comprised of Abh’s. The Abh’s have suffered a stunning defeat. Do you think for one moment they are going to sit passively by and carry out an attack, that we, not they suggest? You don’t understand these people especially Lafiel. Her brother is out there somewhere I hope alive, when she finds out the gravity of this situation. I’ll be shocked if she doesn’t fly into a tirade of epic proportions. Spoor. I saw it in her eyes as she left, she is already contemplating revenge. Remember her flagship is highly modified, since she made it here alive she’s left a trail for the Zu’har to follow.”

Scholar sat back in her chair my words had hit her like a crushing blow. She opened a link to the security commander and asked if Jinto had left the Village, she replied that they were gone. Scholar motioned me to sit down and face her, which I did I saw my mother well worn I hadn’t seen her like this since Sol-Eros. She shook her head and said.

“I want to thank you for setting this old fool straight. Its time to face facts the first thing we need to do is deliver Lafiel back to the Residence after we’ve filled her in. I know how I’ll proceed with that. What I need from you is to get Lafiel, bring her here, and have the shuttle readied. What I’m about to do, I hope the Great Spirit can forgive me.”

As I left I knew what Scholar was going to do it violated everything we held dear but given the time required to tell Lafiel everything this was going to be the only way. I hoped I was wrong I hoped the Zu’har were not on their way here but I saw Spoors look it was as she was expecting a fight that’s why she was angered when I told her Lafiel would not see her till I said so. I brought Lafiel back with me she had agreed to ask no questions till we got to Scholar’s office.

I opened the door and found the room dark except for the six candles burning around Scholar. Scholar invited Lafiel to sit across the desk from her and extend the data crystals from her headband. Taking one crystal in each hand she began transferring her thoughts to Lafiel.

Lafiel sat motionless her eyes closed yet moving beneath her eyelids at an astounding rate. It took another ten minutes to complete the information exchange at that point Lafiel sat back in her chair opened her eyes looked at me and asked if I knew all of this. I nodded; she stared out the window screamed, “Duhiel!” and collapsed. I rushed to her side she was still breathing but I had no idea why she had collapsed.

To be continued in: Zu’har

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."