26_The Defense of Shahrazad

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

26_The Defense of Shahrazad

Post by Diaho »

The Defense of Shahrazad

To my surprise it wasn’t going to take thirty minutes to arrive at Shahrazad. In switching the main computers the ship now functioned as I expected. We would arrive behind the sun between the approaching fleet and the planet in nine minutes. It is from this point we would launch our attack, however this time our adversaries knew we were coming and had a reception planned, at least I hoped they did, if we caught them cold twice in one day I’d… I’m not sure what I would do except defend the planet to the last breath.

Dai’s scanned showed this was a formidable fleet approaching, more than we alone could take on in direct combat. Our only hope was to use stealth, speed and surprise to keep them at bay until the fleet arrived two and a half hours from now, taking into consideration they didn’t fall victim to an encounter between here and there.

Seelnay’s been notified that we were here and Sobbash has taken manual control of the orbital platform. I have plans for my little defensive toy, if we time it right our first attack might well drive them back and give the fleet time to arrive. It was imperative that the platform remained operational as long as possible. The Guardian’s complex was back on line but their defensive shield had been rendered inoperative by those who tried to leave. That was something I’ll get to the bottom of if we survived this encounter.

I left Samson with the Wise Ones and returned to the Residence. Seelnay started a routine scan and found our unwelcome guests about an hour out of firing range. Seelnay tried for a very long time to contact Scholar and when she finally did she blurted out our present situation without realizing she was in telepathic contact rather that normal communications. We transmitted a detailed distress call which if the Zu’har didn’t intercept and know we were defenseless I’d be really surprised.

Lafiel arrived about twelve minutes after Scholar responded to Seelnay’s request and she now sits hiding between the sun and the approaching fleet. Between the two of us and shared tactical computers we have devised an attack that should leave our attacker wondering just how defenseless we are. My hopes are we succeed in driving them away and that Samson can get the planetary defense system operating at the Guardians complex. With the defensive grid operational and the orbital platform shielded with in the grid this is one tough planet to attack however at the moment we are an easy target. One platform and one warship stand between life and death. I left Saio with Nasse she and the rest of the villagers have moved to the underground shelters. I must focus on the battle at hand any distraction could spell the end of us all.

I’ve asked a lot from this ship before and right now I’m asking it to do the impossible. Engineering has rigged the main drive to go past the safety limits. We are almost twenty minutes ahead of the Jemkau. I plan on giving the Zu’har one big surprise. The Lashkau is complaining loudly but I have confidence that it will hold together, it has to.

Dai ask me to come to her station, I moved that way and was shown something of great interest. Well guarded with in the approaching formation was a monster of a ship it was Dai’s opinion this was either their flagship or an invasion transport either way it just moved to the top of the desirable target list. I communicated the information to Sobbash who took a fast scan of the area and confirmed it was not a transport but a heavily armed battleship. Knocking out the command ship if that didn’t cause confusion in their ranks nothing would. Our new target would arrive in firing range when the platform was in optimal firing position this was a gift and I wasn’t going to squander it.

We moved between the second and third planets while Sobbash aimed the platform to strike the ship head on our target would be starboard side amidships, the scan showed a massive energy concentration in that area, it is my belief the main power is there knocking it out would either leave them defenseless or destroyed I hoped for the latter but would accept either option.

The challenge was to aim between the moving vessels around it; the new computer had this well in hand and was continuously updating the firing solution on the main display. Three minutes to optimum firing position I hope this all went well. No it was going to be just fine I had this very comfortable feeling which the bridge crew picked up on almost immediately. This was going to be a walk in the garden I felt very confident the plan would work.

“Final firing solution loaded discharge in five, four, three, two, one, Firing!”

We uncloaked and fired everything offensive; at the same moment the platform fired, a massive explosion filled the viewer.

“Risch shields, Noel get us out of here back behind the sun, Dai report.”

Dai stared blankly at her display I made my way to her side and was stunned at what I saw. Space for twenty thousand meters in diameter, where once the ship had been, was littered with debris. A goodly portion of the Zu’har fleet was damaged or destroyed. My joy was short lived a group of heavy cruisers were making their way towards the planet. Sobbash was firing the platform at them but shortly she would be overwhelmed I still needed that platform operational.

“Ten to one. Those are good odds. Dai target the lead ship. Noel do what you do best. Risch give me everything you got.”

We managed to halt the cruisers but only momentary in my zeal to render them useless I almost missed the second group that took our cue and came at us from behind the sun. This time we took damage nothing major but we had taken damage. One ship between two numerically superior forces was somewhere I didn’t want to be however retreat was not an option we would have to stand our ground and protect the planet.

I’m so glad Noel was our pilot anyone else and we would have been dead already. She nimbly threaded this ship through and with in both groups. We caused a lot of damage and left both groups unable to continue towards the planet. Risch just notified me that some of the damage we had was beginning to have adverse affects on the ship. Shields were at eighty percent, the main weapon was down fifteen percent and we were leaking atmosphere. Damage control parties were on the hull breech and until the main couplings cooled down power use would have to be limited.

We moved to a position where we could still view our enemy but Sobbash could cover us with the platform. Most of this system was littered with the hulks of Zu’har warships. I began to wonder, the Zu’har have fallen prey to this vessel so easily, why did the Star Forces have such a terrible time with them? Questions were about to be answered, answers I wish I had not asked for.

A third group was coming from the original course line this group was on a heading to intercept this ship. We were cornered if we lead them away from Shahrazad we would also leave the planet open for attack if we stood our ground given our present condition we may perish. A quick poll of the crew and we will stand our ground. They out numbered us eight to one but we were out of adrenaline rush our reactions were slowing and the ship wasn’t responding as smartly as before.

We took two out on the first pass and suffered little damage. The next pass we weren’t so lucky. A blast disrupted the mains and we momentarily lost shields. A hit aft in the engineering section took out the cloaking device and the rear weapons array. We managed to lead one ship into Sobbash’s deadly aim. It was now four to one. Another sweep and two lucky hits and now it was two to one, but we were damaged to the point that a withdrawal should have happened. It didn’t.

“Lafiel, the planetary defense grid is on line, Shahrazad is returning fire. The ships are retreating.”

Jinto’s words brought comfort yet Dai had more disturbing news.

“Another wave bearing two - two - zero, distance thirty thousand, they are coming for us. The planet is not along their projected course.”

Risch said repairs would take an hour at best; we didn’t have an hour we had maybe fifteen minutes if we started putting distance between them and us right now.

“Head for the Sord make sure they follow us. Tell Sobbash our condition and wish her luck. Risch fix what’s important in the time you have but when I say now give me everything you’ve got.”

No one questioned my decision to move towards the Sord. I was playing a hunch that Painiach would be coming this way at full speed which means she’ll be popping out of the Sord in fifty-five minutes. I hope we lasted that long.

We were pretty badly beaten up this ship had taken more punishment that I ever thought it could withstand. We are affecting repairs to the main power couplings by fusing them taking out the safeties and hooking up direct.

I figured without reliable power we were dead and if they made a lucky hit well so be it. Shields are operational the rear array is half functional, cloaking is low priority should it start working after the power is restored so be it, if not it will have to wait for later, if there is a later. We have main propulsion we could out run them but that’s not Lafiel’s plan she’s using us as bait to keep the planet safe. I hope the Zu’har don’t set the hook too deep.

“Seelnay get the orbital array back on line, we are blind without it.”

The last attack brought the satellite array down. The platform aiming system was still functional but we were blind to anything else going on past the platforms field of view. I know Lafiel headed towards the Sord but we couldn’t see what was happening this not knowing is driving me quietly mad.

“Sobbash the array is operational again pointing the third satellite towards the Sord.”

Seelnay’s words brought momentary comfort the image that we both saw caused my heart to sink. That sector of space was a light with explosions tactical data wasn’t coming in as the system was still coming on line but I couldn’t see Lafiel anywhere. Panic set in I reached for the comm. link and Seelnay swatted my hand away.

“Last thing Her Highness needs is for us to interrupt her.”

She was right we would have to wait till the system caught up with itself and started to display accurate data. The display showed another two minutes to data sync. It was going to be a very long two minutes.

We’ve received another gift and I’m exploiting it to the maximum. Maneuvering with in close proximity of the Sord is scrambling the Zu’har sensors they, for the most part, have been firing at sensor induced ghosts of this ship. We’ve used the extra time to finish our repairs and devise an all out attack. Using the Sord for cover I plan on drawing them into the vortex since their ships can not form a space time bubble the Sord will destroy them if the vortex draws them far enough in. I also need to remember this ship can not form one either and keep my zeal to a minimum lest we destroy ourselves. Spoor should be here in thirty minutes if she’s survived the trip. It’s time the attack starts now.

“Five minutes to the Sord boundaries. I’m picking up multiple enemy targets in close proximity to the exit.”

Tactical was covered in targets but I couldn’t see who they were firing at but something was out their drawing their fire and I was going to protect that source.

“Split into divisions, target a group and destroy it. Communications transmit IFF codes upon exiting Sord we don’t want to become targets ourselves. We attack now!”

We were holding our own, nearly ready to turn the tide when Dai shouted out.

“Multiple Sord exits, there must be one hundred of them, I’m receiving IFF from the command ship. Admiral Kenesh sends greetings and request we identify ourselves.”

I scanned the area the outline of the imperial flagship was unmistakable. Seelnay’s distress call must have made it to the Capital and blood has always been thicker than politics. Grandmother sent the fleet to save me I’ll not turn down the help this time however Painiach was not going to be very happy. We left the Sord interference and approached the flagship I opened communications to find a very surprised Kenesh staring at me.

“I should have known you would be in command of? Just what kind of ship is that?”

Before I could answer a cruiser made a run at the flagship, with a swift turn to port and a volley from the main armament the cruiser laid in ruins. I returned to a stunned Kenesh and said.

“One very potent weapons platform that’s pretty fast too. I suggest you move towards the fourth moon and set your defenses there. If you don’t mind I started this fight and I intend to finish it.”

Risch had repaired the cloak and we vanished before Kenesh’s eyes to reappear in the midst of the battle which lasted another fifteen minutes. This system was littered with the Zu’har fleet which I’m proud to say between this ship and the orbital platform we claimed a ninety percent kill with Kenesh’s fleet picking up the other ten percent. Our celebration was short lived Dai announced Spoor’s arrival and I opened a channel to the fleet.

“I strongly suggest you withdraw your force to the area between the fifth and sixth planets. Spoor is in tactical range but not communication range. She’ll come out blasting anything she sees and you’ll not withstand the Lashkau’s wrath.”

Kenesh withdrew and Scholar frantically tried to raise the Lashkau. At Sord exit our message was replied to. Ten seconds later a very angry Painiach filled the main viewer.

“Who in the hell invited them? This was supposed to be a private party! You know how I hate party crashers!”

Kenesh and Spoor entered into an argument that lasted till the rest of the fleet arrived. Father placed the Jemkau between the Lashkau and the flagship then proceeded to defuse the situation. While that diversion was going on I had something else I wanted to do. I left Noel in command with instructions to find and approach my brother’s ship, sent Sobbash a message, then I took Dai by the hand and led her below. We put on two of the six environmental suits that were aboard and made our way to the airlock. Cloaked we made our way unnoticed to Duhiel’s ship docked alongside then Dai and I went aboard.

Duhiel was waiting for us he had received Sobbash’s message and instructed his crew to ignore anything they saw while we were docked alongside. We spent a half hour aboard the ship convincing Duhiel his first loss was not the crushing blow he felt it was. Dai wanted to stay but Duhiel convinced her he was alright and capable of carrying out his duties. He moved towards me and said.

“Lafiel you know if word of this ever gets to the wrong people…”

I placed my hands in his and said.

“If word of what Grandmother and Kenesh have done ever gets to the wrong ears then they’ll pay the price. Unofficially my exile is over. Grandmother has dropped the gauntlet and is waiting for someone very foolish to pick it up. Duhiel something else you should know you no longer have close competition for the throne.”

Duhiel’s eyes met mine a look of concern came over him he went to speak but I knew what his question was.

“She’s alive and will walk again but she’ll need constant medical intervention. Doctor Sasoum has told her she shouldn’t leave Shahrazad and she has accepted that fact. I’ll take good care of her for you and I’ll forgive her for the foolish things she did all those years ago.”

Duhiel handed me a copy of his log for the incident that injured her and said.

“When she is strong enough let her read this at that time I want you to read it as well. Lafiel, you’ve started a war that the only outcome will be…”

I placed my fingers across his lips and said.

“The complete destruction of the Zu’har, their bases and their home world, I know Duhiel I made that promise to get this ship. We have to go now before I do something out of character.”

Dai and I both gave Duhiel a hug and returned to the ship. On the way to the bridge Dai and I stopped to have a very emotional moment I knew Dai was capable of shedding tears, we had a good cry together and went to the bridge. Dai Lexshu and I became very close that day very close indeed.

Mop up was in progress when we returned to the bridge. As in previous encounters with the Zu’har there were no prisoners however we managed to find several data cores in the wreckage I’m taking them planet side to have Samson, using the Guardian’s computers, examine them. Oh yes I remembered we have several loose ends to tie up planet side as well. I make my apologies and return to the surface without delay. There are questions that need answers to before we embark on the second part of this mission.

The planetary defense system did an exceptional job. It was everything the Wise Ones had promised and more. At the moment the security squad I brought with me is questioning everyone about the occurrences of earlier in the day. I’ve hear from Lafiel she is enroute to this complex I’ll await her arrival. The information I have gathered so far will not be accepted happily either. Sobbash has contacted me; she’s left Seelnay monitoring the platform and is enroute to this complex as well, something in the way Sobbash addressed me that told me Lafiel’s new found peace might be short lived, I hope she is wrong. What I’ve not told Sobbash or Lafiel is we’ve found something in our investigation that they will find extremely interesting.

“Kenesh I do believe your job here is finished you can take the Imperial battlewagon and go home now.”

Painiach’s final rant had just assaulted my ears. Debeusec had also convinced me that this system was secured for the time being. However I had explicit orders to ensure Lafiel was and continued to remain safe. Her sudden departure along with Painiach’s present mind set left me one course of action. I withdrew from the system but not by the Sord we made a course which later I was informed was the course that the Zu’har had approached the planet from and held position at the edge of the system. I communicated with Ramaj and awaited her decision.

Seelnay lowered the defenses as we approached Shahrazad once clear she reestablished the grid. Her constant dialog as we approached was a welcome change for the very unfriendly exchange we were listening to between Painiach and Kenesh. I made a vocal note of Kenesh’s movements, to which Noel said.

“I didn’t think she would leave that easily, yet she’s not going home either.”

I agreed and gathered my thoughts. We were less than twenty minutes from the complex and I wanted to be organized when we got there.

Sobbash arrived two minutes ago. Lafiel was about twenty minutes out. I took Sobbash with me there was something I wanted her to see before Lafiel arrived. I opened the door to the hanger and Sobbash gasped. Before us stood another ship its design was similar to what Lafiel was presently using however it was a third again as big and as far as I could tell almost ready to enter service.

“This is what all the commotion has been about the unexplained activity and immense power usage. The Wise Ones have built the successor to the ship Lafiel now has and those you destroyed had the master plans for the ship with them. Well they thought they did.”

Sobbash stared, the static lighting in the hanger wasn’t very good and it would take sometime for the normal lighting to come on line. I had rerouted power to the grid and this hanger was on the low priority list. She removed her flashlight and illuminated parts of the ship as we walked around it.

“Samson this is, I can’t find the words to describe it but this is …”

My words failed me but my mind was considering the immense ship that sat before us. If Lafiel with the ship she had did all the damage that she did with this ship she could… I stopped and considered the enemy we were fighting and realized that it was never the intension of the Wise Ones for Lafiel to take her present ship to finish off the Zu’har. I felt Samson’s hand on my shoulder. I turned to find him staring at me.

“Sobbash your look is giving your thoughts away. You’ve figured it out on your own and you are right. This is the instrument of death the Wise Ones spoke of this massive destructive weapon which they are going to give to Lafiel to…”

I took Samson in my arms and passionately kissed him it was the only way I knew to halt his speech. We stood there for a few moments considering everything that had happened this day and how we were going to tell Lafiel. The sound of the ship arriving broke our concentration. We made our way to the surface and met Lafiel. It was I who would tell her of the days events Samson would only supply the necessary information that I didn’t have.

“Lafiel came aboard your ship and spent almost thirty minutes there?”

Duhiel’s face was showing his desire to communicate more than his words did, yet I let my son have his say and let it go at that. I’ll thank Lafiel later; right now the movement of the home guard fleet away from the planet but not towards the Capital has me a bit concerned. Painiach has moved her fleet to the fuel depot and was no longer a burden. She figured that Kenesh being gone, no matter what direction, was a victory on her part and I’ll let her relish in it. But Kenesh’s movement has me a bit puzzled unless she didn’t confide in me what Mother had told her. I’ll keep watch, if the fleet returns I’ll intercept Kenesh and ascertain her intentions before she can raise Spoor’s ire once again.

We exited the complex and made our way to the landing area. Samson and I both stopped in our tracks when we saw the ship. The amount of damage was more than we had expected, Lafiel had put some dandy dents in the ship. Risch and Noel were making an exterior inspection when Lafiel approached us.

“Sobbash glad to see you, I’ve retrieved several data cores which we need to analyze as soon as possible. Now what happened here while we were gone?”

Lafiel wasn’t as angry as I expected she took in my report and slowly shook her head from side to side.

“Let me get this straight. The Wise Ones knew they’ve had Zu’har spies and even resurrected their DNA yet did nothing until now about them?

I nodded that was part of what Samson had found the other part I invited Lafiel to follow us below. By that time Noel, Risch, Scholar, Dai and Jinto were standing alongside Lafiel as we finished debriefing. We made our way below and to the hanger. Lafiel’s reaction was not in character she motioned us to stand back while she approached the ship. In the time we were gone the main lighting was back on line the ship was even more impressive than under my flashlight. Lafiel spent the next fifteen minutes walking around and staring at the ship. Once she was finished she asked the location of the Wise Ones and we were on our way there. Not once did Lafiel say anything else till we arrived at the location where the Wise Ones were being detained.

“It’s time to renegotiate our agreement.”

Lafiel said as we entered the room the Wise Ones didn’t seem surprised at Lafiel’s statement either.

“We were going to be completely honest with each other and hold nothing back. We kept our end of the bargain but you failed to and that failure almost cost us our lives and you this planet. I plan on keeping the second part of the agreement however I will not do so until I know everything about this place, your race and any other surprises you’re keeping from us. You have one last chance, complete discloser right now, or we leave. I’ll defeat the Zu’har locally, but I’ll not carry out the balance of the plan. This planet we will abandon and you can deal with the Zu’har yourself.”

We stood in shock Lafiel was ready to leave this place she loved dearly, however I could not disagree with her thinking on this. The Wise Ones had used us as an instrument of their desire to defeat the Zu’har. Their incomplete explanations and half truths have placed all of us in danger a danger we shouldn’t have had to face. I wondered how far Lafiel was planning on going when she said.

“I want the rest of those responsible for the sabotage of the ship they will face Abh justice. You have two hours to hand them over or prove they all died in the shuttle.”

A data crystal was handed to Lafiel by the leader of the Wise Ones. She concentrated her look in to Lafiel’s eyes and after a moment she said.

“The crystal contains what you asked for, as for those who you desire, only one is still living. I’ll have her turned over to you shortly.”

Lafiel clinched the crystal in her hand spun on her heels and motioned us to follow her as we left the Wise Ones. Once outside she handed the crystal to Scholar and instructed her to go through it thoroughly. She asked Jinto and Dai to get the remaining plotter and escort her to the shuttle. Noel and Risch were instructed to join Samson and me in the examinations of the captured memory cores. Lafiel stood for a moment and said.

“When you’re ready you’ll find me out there.”

She pointed to the solar arrays and preceded to head in that direction, her walk indicated she had reached the end of her new found patience. Noel and I both took a step forward, Risch and Samson stopped us, as Scholar said.

“She’s been through a lot today she needs her peace and she needs to find it on her own. Its part of the anger management course the more she uses what she’s been taught the easier it will be for her to handle these bumps in the road.”

We went to our assignment I couldn’t help wondering what Lafiel was doing out there and why she chose the solar array Samson’s arm around me felt so comforting and reassuring.

“Mia you’ve got to help me. I’m ready to explode if I don’t get my emotions under control I’ll ruin it for everyone.”

My arm shook as I spoke those words into my creunoc I look at my reflection in the array and realized how close I was to losing it. I don’t know how long I’d been crying but there were tears running down my face. Suddenly the air became, wait I know that scent. I turned to find Jinto standing before me his arms outstretched I dove into them and began crying uncontrollably. Mia’s voice came from my creunoc it instructed me to find Jinto. When Jinto responded to Mia she didn’t seemed very surprised. Jinto closed the link and we spent the next half hour holding each other.

I never knew how much he’d become my strength until that moment. In his arms I not only felt at peace but almost invincible it took Mia to let me discover my hidden strength and my soul mate. I will thank her properly later. For the moment I stand content Jinto offering me comfort I’ve not felt in years.

I’ve been guarding our newest guest for about an hour in the mean time everyone besides Jinto and Lafiel have arrived at my location. I told them Jinto received a message from Mia and left for the array. Scholar decided she would start questioning our guest in Lafiel’s absence. I have hear stories about Scholar abilities most of them from Seelnay who I’ve always taken with a bit of skepticism, sometime Seelnay does go a bit overboard on her explanations, however this time she was spot on to quote her.

Scholar probed our guests mind and waited for Lafiel to arrive before divulging her findings. Our guest was not happy about having her mind probed either she tried to resist at first, but Scholar’s overwhelming and intense probe left her completely exhausted. Scholar read her mind like an open book and from the look on Scholar’s face it was a most interesting read.

Jinto and Lafiel arrived another ten minutes later. Scholar said nothing she grabbed Lafiel’s hands, gazed into her eyes and transferred everything she had seen about our guest. Lafiel was momentarily dazed by Scholar’s link she took a step back and said.

“I know in time I’ll get use to these exchanges but next time, go a little slower okay? My mind is just recovering from your first invasion now you’ve launch a second sortie.”

Lafiel looked at our guest with contempt she was part of a group that was planted a long time ago to observe the Guardians and report their weaknesses back to the Zu’har. The change in planet orbit and long hibernation of the Guardians lead the Zu’har to believe the Guardians had perished in one of their nightmarish experiments, thus relieving them from further pursuit. It was only when the planet was realigned and the complex came back on line were the Zu’har contacted once again by their spies.

The Zu’har interest in the Guardian was simple they had been the only race to defeat them and they wanted the secret of their victory. Our guest didn’t know those facts and neither did any of her colleagues. However Scholar now knew how the Guardians defeated the Zu’har and she would share that with Lafiel later. Lafiel ordered our guest confined to the complex until she decided her fate, some how I didn’t see Lafiel casting her out an airlock, but Lafiel in the past has been full of surprises.

“It’s a pile of worthless junk save for one memory core.”

Samson’s words bounced off Lafiel she was still recovering from Scholar’s data infusion and the disgust she felt towards our guest. His second comment, same as the first, finally was received.
“Just one you say? Did you get anything usable out of it?”

Samson said the data download was complete and the Guardians computers were sorting out the data as we stood there. From the preliminary report we’d struck a gold mine this core had complete fleet locations and bases plus the next offensive that was to be launched. Lafiel took in the information glanced around the area and then said.

“All of those other cores were so badly damaged that we couldn’t read them, yet we seem to have one perfectly functioning core that… Why do I smell a trap? Why do I not trust that data any further than I can toss this planet, somebody care to explain my thoughts on this?”

I looked at Noel, she and Risch were stone faced so were Sobbash and Dai. Scholar and Jinto seem to be quietly agreeing with my statement and Samson wasn’t divulging his feelings at all. This was not the conversation I wanted I wanted aggressive input and discussion not quiet agreement. I guess they needed to know where I stood and that I didn’t want ‘yes men’ anymore.

“People, I want your input not this silent routine. Agree, disagree, do something, but standing here staring at each other isn’t going to cut it at all.”

That started a conversation that lasted until we returned to the Residence not only was the data discussed but the recent battle, objections to my sticking my neck out as to endanger the welfare of everyone and finally Sobbash’s heart felt comment that she was glad I was being my old self once again.

My old self? I though that was the angry uncontrollable inflexible tyrant I had become but Sobbash reminded me of a time when I use to be like this but not as confident. Those days aboard the Basroil right after I took command. It seemed like another life and another person we were talking about but I knew it was me and I thanked her for her undying support in fact I thanked everyone for their input and support. Now what to do next, I decided sleep and a fresh outlook was next. I asked everyone to rest and meet in the war room around zero eight hundred and we would go at it again. Jinto and I checked the automated defenses spoke with Father who was watching over us and went to sleep hoping we would get a good rest.

“Kenesh let me get this straight, Lafiel with one ship and the orbital platform did all of the damage you’ve reported?”

Ramaj’s face filled the main display I had made several sweeps of the system and transmitted the findings back to the Capital. One warship and one platform had taken out over a hundred Zu’har ships. The implications of this hit pretty hard, if Lafiel was to get her hands on several ships of this design, equip them with well trained crews and given she has Spoor’s support she could become an influencing power within this system.

Ramaj and I both knew of Lafiel’s present disagreement with the Grand Council if she was to get this kind of offensive power and decided to even an old score she could take over the Capital by force. That would place us in a position we hadn’t considered and now we were dreading.

Spoor had offered us the use of the fuel depot to service our group. I’m returning to the depot to refuel and rearm the fleet maybe Painiach and I can also have a civil conversation there were some questions I needed answered.

“Your Highness, the fleet has reversed course and is heading towards the fuel depot.”

My message to my mother was taken by a subordinate. I was informed as soon as she was available she would contact me. I know what she was doing now; Kenesh’s return to the depot meant only one thing, mother had seen Kenesh’s report and probably fell out of her seat. Lafiel has amassed a formidable force not that far from the Capital something those who feared my daughter were always dreading, yet it was their actions that have lead to this situation. I guess I’ll never understand that bunch probably why I didn’t make the grade to sit on the throne.

Plakia was right I tend to gloss over the important and make light of the trivial, well Lafiel is no longer a trivial matter she’s proven she can be a power to be reckoned with. Now what does she plan to do with this new found power? I guess only time will tell.

My creunoc woke me at zero seven thirty just as I had planned. A shower and breakfast then most of the day going over the information gained by the recent battle, Scholar’s report on the contents of the data crystal and our next options. I knew the longer we waited the harder the Zu’har would be to find, there was always the possibility that the data we had was correct and they were planning another offensive however that data was questionable to say the least.

Jinto was next to me until a bit ago the spots still warm but I don’t hear any noised from our living quarters. The shower is warm and relaxing I almost want to finish and return to bed but we have a very busy day ahead of us. As much as I love my hair, its length is becoming an issue. I’ve spent the past ten minutes detangling it once again.

I envy Noel, Sobbash and Dai their short hair styles are easily manageable and still stylish while I hold on to tradition a family tradition of a long flowing train. Maybe I need a different look something I can easily manage. I look at myself in the mirror and wonder how short I should cut it when I realize I have ten minutes to get dressed, eat and make my way to the war room.

I head to the kitchen to find Jinto has prepared a breakfast fit for a Princess. I gobble it down much to Jinto’s displeasure and with a piece of toast in my hand leave for the war room. Something tells me I’m going to be fashionably late once again.

“Scholar you’ve been toying with that crystal for the past twenty minutes. Was it all that fascinating?”

I heard Noel’s quip and was about to answer her when Lafiel stepped into the room, she was running late as usual although she showed no anger or upset about being late some of the staff were a bit miffed with her tardiness. She moved to the head chair placed a half eaten piece of toast on the table looked everyone in the eyes and asked.

“You’ve had some time to rest and consider our next steps. I’d like to hear from each one of you how you think we should proceed.”

Noel stood and stated that she was the spokesmen for Dai, Risch, Samson, Sobbash and herself.

“Lafiel we’ve discussed in detail our very good luck from yesterday. I say luck and mean it as just that. We were extremely lucky to survive our encounter with the Zu’har and suffer the damage we did. No matter how sophisticated the ship is you still need us to run it. Yesterday taxed every one of us to the point of becoming non functional, had Kenesh not arrived when she did I doubt we would have lasted the twenty seven minutes it took Spoor to arrive.”

Lafiel sat quietly taking in what Noel was saying and taking notes while she spoke. Noel’s pause was to discern Lafiel’s mood on this subject before she continued. Seeing that Lafiel was not getting angry she decided to let the other shoe fall to the ground.

“It is our opinion that we should wait till the Zu’har make their next move. In that time we can not only rest but improve the ship to where the effort needed to operate it is minimized also we need to train some more crew. The bare bones crew we left with not only slowed us but because we were doing the tasks of several people we were being slowly drained. Like I said Lafiel we are damn lucky to be standing here.”

Lafiel acknowledged Noel’s speech she next asked Scholar if she had finished with the crystal the Wise Ones had given her. She answered that she had and proceeded to share with the rest of us what she had learned. She spoke this time, for which I could see Lafiel was glad of; I don’t think she could have withstood another mind fusion, not this soon.

“After experiencing yesterday and studying this crystal I must agree we are very lucky to be here. Simply put the reason we were victorious was we did the unexpected as far as our tactics were concerned. We did catch the Zu’har off guard and they never had the chance to devise a defense to our outlandish attacks. However according to this data if they managed to transmit anything back to their bases we won’t be able to attack like that again.”

Lafiel’s confusion spoke for the rest of us gathered at the table. Scholar sensed this and continued to explain our good luck.

“Everyone in this room understands how the insects operate on this world; especially the bees and ants. They are centrally controlled live and die to serve their leader and if they encounter something strange and make it back to their nest that experience is related to all. Think of it as one worker bee finding a rich flower grove flying back and communicating it to the hive.

Those beings we fought were workers, drones if you wish. The central Zu’har structure works much as the insects on this world work. Experiences are transmitted to a central brain and the information is analyzed then new instructions are transmitted. That means there is a central hive. The large command ship, our very first target, I’ll surmise from the data I’ve seen it was the central command hive. We took it out much like taking out the bee hive and those stray ships with no control attacked on their own just as the bees would have. That’s why Shahrazad dropped off the attack menu; it was deemed by those surviving ship not to be the threat, because it couldn’t maneuver where as we could and took on most hostile status.”

Lafiel sat looking around the room she was looking for a response from any of us and I for one was still sorting out what Scholar has said. Samson leaned back in his chair and asked the one question I was thinking about but didn’t know how to word it properly.

“Scholar, are we fighting an insect based race?”

Scholar said she wasn’t sure no one had ever seen a Zu’har so no description was known, what the Guardians did discover is that the Zu’har inhabited formerly ‘dead’ worlds that they transformed. Somehow their transformation left the world containing a nutrient, known as Fos255 by the Guardians. After careful analysis by the Guardians it was determined this was the Zu’har’s primary food source. They added a chemical in hopes it would be deadly to the Zu’har and dumped it on their bases. It took less than six weeks to remove any trace of the Zu’har.

Samson laughed out loud much to the surprise of those in the room. He collected his thoughts and said wiping the tears from his eyes.

“Scholar, you’ve explained how we on Midgrad exterminated the local insect infestation. And if they are insect based that would explain the lack of corpses and their unwillingness to keep prisoners; an insect exposed to the vacuum of space would almost vanish in a poof and insects don’t take prisoners as well. There is a way to find out; we need to reexamine those data cores again this time looking not only for insect matter but this Fos255 the Guardian found. I for one have my suspicions as to what that substance might be, but, I never though my bug removal training would come in handy in space.”

“Insectoids!”

Seelnay said from the platform control room. Lafiel upon hearing this word invited Seelnay to join us. She came into the room and continued her comment.

“I really hope the Zu’har are not the ancient creatures of legend. About a thousand years ago an alien fleet invaded the system I was born in and did devastating damage to it. One ship crashed on my home world and it was found to be infested with insect like creatures. They were dispatched with fire, but the damage the balance of their fleet did, it took almost five hundred years to return the planet to some semblance of normal. To this day you can still find remnants of the damage caused by their attack.”

Lafiel’s curiosity was peaked; Seelnay had lit an old fuse that would propel all of us into an adventure of staggering proportions. I knew the look she now displayed I have seen it before as have most of us in this room. I watched as Jinto approached her and tried to reason with her but it was to no avail it seemed we were heading for Seelnay’s home world to investigate their century old invasion of the insectoid race. One nice thing with the ship we presently have the journey would be short and our absence from here would be hardly noticed.

However upon returning to the Guardians base we found the ship disabled and its replacement sitting on the pad ready for flight testing. Lafiel accepted this as a gift and decided to leave at once. Sobbash and I convinced her that more crew was needed and leaving on a whim would lead to disaster. We last saw her on her creunoc talking with Spoor about getting experienced crew members.

“Noel we handled that nicely, Lafiel was about ready to storm off…”

I had a hand placed in close proximity to my mouth. Noel was silencing me as Lafiel returned still deeply involved in a conversation with Spoor. She finished the conversation and approached us.

“We’ll have crew in the morning, right now I want to go over the systems of this ship and make sure we are carrying no more surprises. We’ll depart in thirty six hours. Any questions?”

To Be Continued In: Independence

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."