27_Independence

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

27_Independence

Post by Diaho »

Independence

We spent much of the evening going over the new ship. The Guardians had made our job a lot easier; they had transplanted the computers and weapons control systems from the other ship to this one. All we had to do was check out the operation of the various system and of course Risch and Samson were in engineering installing ‘our little equalizer’ as they called it. Sobbash and I were on the bridge running the operational test. Dai and Scholar sat with Seelnay plotting our course to her home world. I felt sorry for Jinto and Kufadis they were assessing the new crew members that Painiach had shown up with, out of the blue, so to speak. Lafiel and Painiach were in a heated discussion, Painiach desired to see inside the ship and Lafiel said no and put it rather bluntly too.

Sitting outside in the moonlight this ship gave the casual viewer the impression that this was not a vessel of peace. Besides being larger the ship was better armed and fortified. We decided on a crew of twenty six to comfortably operate this ship. Although a larger ship it was still limited on its ‘living space’, the mechanisms that provided our speed, defensive and offensive capabilities took up a lot of the space one would think would be reserved for crew quarters. I should add that upon the Guardians presenting this ship to us, we were told, not only could we name it, but there were three more ships in the production line, the first to be ready for space in another six weeks, if needed. I quietly kicked myself for never fully exploring the Guardians underground complex. I believe there are many more surprises hiding in the complex something I’ll mention to Lafiel at a quieter time. For the moment her conversation outside the ship has reached a level that it can be heard inside the ship granted the hatches are open and the breeze is carrying the words into the ship but… I looked at Sobbash excused myself and preceded to where Lafiel is located.

“Painiach I know you’re better educated than you are showing, let me phrase this in very simple terms. You can look outside all you want I won’t stop you but you will not set foot inside this ship, that goes for Kufadis as well and those crew I decide to accept, one condition of their employment will be they report nothing of what happens inside this ship to the outside world.”

Grand Duchess Spoor stood fuming she desperately wanted to see what made this ship tick so she could modify her ships accordingly. But what she didn’t understand and Lafiel wasn’t going to divulge, this was technology that could not be adapted to present Abh ships. Abh computers can be adapted and are for operations on this ship but our weapons and subsystems were so far beyond what Painiach understood that only confusion would come from her stepping aboard. We still needed her fleet and an angry Spoor is easier to deal with than a confused one. Lafiel made the choice early to keep all in the dark about this ship once she fully understood it operational capabilities. If we were to deploy four ships of this type, crewed with loyal subjects we could… no I didn’t want to think that far ahead.

Yet Jinto had openly expressed his concern that Lafiel, once destroying the Zu’har, might turn on the Empire to rid it of those ‘undesirable’ elements that were disturbing the ‘normal order’. I will admit something that most of us who are Abh on this planet feel. We owe the Empire our lives and education, yet when we needed them the most, they turned their back on us and were willing to let those we rescued from Sol-Eros die. The thought of confronting the Star Forces in a shooting war does not sit well with any of us yet given the choice of us or them; we’d defend our home to the last. But the scenario Lafiel sees shows us to be the aggressors and I don’t think any of us could be comfortable with that.

Our quiet meeting on the fuel depot ended about thirty minutes ago as always Kenesh was less than candid about the position of my mother and the central command. Lafiel’s new alliance with the Guardians and her new found offensive capabilities have Kenesh and in de facto my mother highly disturbed. When asked my opinion I suggested to Kenesh that she should look to the past concerning where Lafiel’s loyalties might lie. I guarantee you that was not what Kenesh wanted to hear, and it showed on her otherwise stoic face.

Lafiel is my daughter however since she was ten I’ve lost the father daughter relationship we once had. Instead of consoling her upon her mother’s death I scolded her for crying, it was my thoughtlessness in that matter that drove the final wedge between us. It’s taken the past twelve years to re establish that relationship we once had although it is a strained one. What Kenesh asked me to do and I refused pointedly would not have benefited the Empire and would have destroyed any chance of Lafiel and I maintaining our present relationship.

I’ve informed Duhiel to expect a visit from Kenesh and what she’s going to ask. I believe my son’s answer will duplicate mine, but he does stand a chance to rule, however sacrificing his sister to do so is not in his genetic makeup also it will not guarantee him a long life as well. I’m returning to the Jemkau and waiting for the next act of this play to begin, personally the plot leaves a lot to be desired at this moment.

We stayed at the ship till after dusk our return to the island came slightly before midnight and Lafiel asked everyone to be in the war room around noon to review the crew selections. I’m concerned about Sobbash ever since our return from the encounter with the Zu’har she’s been quite and preoccupied with something besides the matters of the moment. Risch and Samson are sitting in our kitchen going over the systems. I grab a cup of coffee and head next door I want to talk to Sobbash and see if she’ll open up to me about what is bothering her.

The backdoor is open I announce my arrival and I’m greeted with silence. I see the light coming from Sobbash’s room I walk down the hall to find the door open Sobbash standing in front of the mirror holding her Admiral’s uniform before her. She senses my presence and turns towards me.

“I know you knocked but to proceed without permission is…”

Sobbash’s face went blank and in the next moment the stream of tears trickled down her face.

“Noel you know if I wasn’t involved with Samson and Saio wasn’t part of my life I’d be back in this uniform...”

She placed the uniform back in the closet and motioned me towards the kitchen once there she made a cup of coffee and sat at the table I joined her and the conversation commenced.

It should be noted that Sobbash has sacrificed the most of us who know Lafiel. Not even Jinto has given up as much as Sobbash has. Her constant denial of nothing being wrong has left her and the rest of us at odds as of late. It was part of the reason she remained planet side during the recent conflict the other part was her experience was need here, in space she would have complicated things which, considering in hindsight, would have been disastrous.

We talked until Samson’s return, it was sunrise and Lafiel wanted to see all of us in six hours. I left Sobbash with Samson and returned home. Risch had already retired and I sat on the edge of my bed going over what Sobbash and I had just discussed. It was my impression that Sobbash wanted to remove herself from our group. I convinced her that going back to the Star Forces, even if she could, would be a reckless and potentially disastrous move on her part. She needs structure in her life and although the Star Forces was very structured, she wouldn’t have the feeling of belonging as was in the past. She forgot we all made a choice when we came here to be with Lafiel and there were those in the Force that would never forget nor forgive us.

Before we get started this afternoon Lafiel and I need to talk. I hope her mood is receptive to what I have to tell her and this time Jinto will be present. He’s been left in the dark too long about the daily routine I know Martine weighs heavily on his mind but his home is here. I think if he knew everything that was going on he’d take a very proactive attitude and rein Lafiel in.

The last thing any of us want is Lafiel to become power hungry and throw caution to the wind. She came close to doing that in this last battle. She should take care, the Guardians have given her the instrument of her own destruction if she so deems it, I for one do not and will fight to my last breath to convince her of the intoxicating power trip she’s facing. This new Lafiel, more confident, less angry is still very self serving she needs to be humbled, but gently I can’t do it but Jinto has in the past and is still living to comment about it. I finally fall asleep my mind is exhausted, my body, it’s unwilling to stay wake any longer.

Noel left and Sobbash sat staring into her reflection in the coffee cup. I sat next to her took her hand in mine and with my free hand raised her face to meet mine. There was evidence of this being an intense and emotional conversation, which, to my surprise, Sobbash related to me in detail. After she was finish I told her I loved her and that although she was under stress it was good for her to face Noel and get off her chest what was bothering her. Lafiel, there is no doubt in my mind that Sobbash is extremely loyal to her but Sobbash has had events in the past years that would have shaken anyone’s confidence in themselves. I worry about her, Saio, I’m sure if we didn’t have Saio, Sobbash would have lost it years ago yet there are times when I think she’s over the past something comes about that opens those old wounds and she retreats back into her shell. This retreat, thanks to Noel, won’t be as bad as others have. Yet I worry, I guess until either she finally finds a lifestyle that makes her content or I die I’ll worry about Sobbash.

I elected to return to the Village with Scholar and Seelnay. The amount of tension that was going on at the complex lead me to believe the Residence was somewhere I didn’t want to be. We arrived and were greeted by Nasse and the girls although Saio was struggling to stay awake I assured her, her parents were fine and they would come get her in the morning. Dawn and Plakia retired shortly after Saio and that left Seelnay, Scholar, Nasse and I to talk. The conversation soon turned to the days activities which Scholar, in an unusually candid moment, expressed her concern about Lafiel’s ability to stay the course and not take the bull by the horns.

“You should have seen her. Once we had the slightest advantage she pursued it with such zeal. How we didn’t die out there is still beyond my comprehension. I‘ll tell you one thing, the word retreat is not in her vocabulary. I worry; this new ship is more powerful than the first, and given her zeal plus its abilities. What she could do boggles the mind.”

Scholar quietly nodded in agreement, Seelnay took in my words and sat there, Nasse was moved by my words but her dealings with Lafiel in the past had left her with ‘nothing was beyond the realm of possibilities’ when Lafiel was concerned so she sat nodding in agreement as well. I was stunned; Duhiel was the complete opposite of Lafiel in his zeal. Yet we never we placed in the position Lafiel has either, to defend ones home at all cost.

I don’t know Lafiel is Lafiel I try to understand her and when I think I’ve got her figured out she does something like she did today, totally out of character and completely illogical. We finish talking at daybreak, I sleep on the couch at Seelnay’s, Scholar returned to her quarters, and we need to be back at the Residence in about six hours its going to be a long day.

Normally after a stressful day Lafiel would roam the gardens until she was exhausted it was not the case this time. We returned and by the time I had checked the daily dispatches between Martine and here, she had taken a shower and was sleeping in her bed. I showered and returned back to my desk. I guess I was there about an hour when I heard a commotion from Lafiel’s room. I made my way down the hall and found Lafiel sitting on the edge of her bed; the curtains open, staring into the night sky. I sat next to her and placed my arm around her, she returned the embrace. We sat there looking outside. Lafiel was completely calm a calm I hadn’t seen in many years. She continued looking skyward as she said.

“Jinto you know we won a great victory today? We defeated a superior force with no loss of life on our side in fact we suffer a minimal amount of damage. Every commander dreams of such a victory. I’ve had my dream fulfilled now part of me wants to stop here and now and the other part want to go on and carry out our agreement with the Guardians. I’m torn Jinto, if we go on and finish what we’ve started, Shahrazad will no longer be a tiny speck on some star chart. We will be a military power to be feared and dealt with. It’s not what I wanted or what we agreed to all those years ago. This was to be a planet of peace and exploration yet every time we’ve tried that road someone has thrown obstacles in the way. I guess having the military might will finally stop those who would wish us to fail. Jinto I don’t want to be a military commander I want things as they were before the only reason I’ve done as I have was self preservation pure and simple it was us or them no other choices in the matter.”

Lafiel pulled me close to her. The warmth of her being and the gentleness of her touch lead to an interlude which lasted till almost dawn. I left her as I found her, sitting on the edge of her bed, looking out the window and smiling a smile I’d not seen in quite awhile.

Admiral Kenesh left here about fifteen minutes ago. I’ve stated my objections to her claims about Lafiel. Unlike my Father who holds equal rank and position to Kenesh, she is my superior officer, she’s also is a direct link to the central command and my grandmother. Telling her to go away and leave me be was very difficult, but I do believe I got the message respectfully delivered. Father is sleeping and I’ve left word with his aide to contact me once he’s awake. I myself have had enough excitement for one day I’m going to sleep and try very hard to forget the past several hours.

“They both told you to go away and mind your own business?”

Kenesh’s face flickered on the display she has just delivered her report. I thanked her and ordered the fleet back to the Capital’s solar system. My son and my grandson both refused to cooperate. Lafiel will have to be convinced by other means then. Ramaj dimmed the light and left the office on her way back to the council chamber she decided how she’d handle those who wanted Lafiel stopped. She stopped at the door to the chamber and thought.

“I wonder if they have enough nerve to go to Shahrazad and tell Lafiel to be a good little girl. I seriously doubt it.”

I left Sobbash sleeping and took the hover car into the Village to retrieve Saio. She wasn’t the only one happy to see me, Nasse showed a great amount of relief when I took Saio with me. I guess the past three days have been a little tense and not having to worry about someone else child became a release of tension for her as well. We returned to our cottage and found Sobbash out tending to the plants in the hot house. It was like nothing had happened however Noel broke the peace of the moment when she reminded us Lafiel wanted to see us in an hour. Sobbash took Saio inside made her lunch and started her computer studies while I joined with Risch and Noel. Once Saio was settled Sobbash joined us and we made our way to the Residence we found Jinto and Lafiel in the war room waiting for everyone to arrive.

Scholar and I were pacing at the shuttle Seelnay was running very late. We would have to land outside the Residence at this rate to be on time and once Seelnay arrived we did just that. Lafiel greeted us her displeasure at having the garden thrust blown was evident and she gave Seelnay quite an ear full as we made our way to the war room. Once inside and settled Lafiel addressed us it was not on the subject I though it was going to be either.

“Two days ago we defended this world from an unprovoked attack by the Zu’har fleet. Through pure luck we inflicted great damage with no loss of life on our side. We are at a crossroads, although we made an agreement with the Guardian to completely remove all trace of the Zu’har from the universe, their less than honest cooperation in this effort has given us an option out of further conflict if we so desire. I will express my thoughts on how I see our future and I want each one of you to give me an honest assessment of what you think our next course of action should be.”

Lafiel then went on to explain the original purpose of this world and how if we continue with the present mission the known universe would soon be beating a path to our door for one reason or the other. Once finished she asked if we needed some time to formulate a response, which, since she dropped this little bomb unannounced, everyone in the room took her up on that suggestion. We adjourned outside to consider what Lafiel had said and to decide if we would answer separately or as a group.

It’s interesting how we initially grouped once outside. Noel, Seelnay, Scholar, Sobbash and I were in one group with Samson, Risch and Jinto in the other. After a few minutes Jinto approached me and said.

“Dai I think we should answer individually this time it’s not that Lafiel will be angry or ridiculing anyone but as a group we can’t give her an individual opinion. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

I did very much so and so did everyone else. Jinto was opening the door not for an onslaught of criticism but an honest out flow of information and opinions. We returned in a much shorter time that Lafiel had expected. When all was said and done we agreed that going forward with our original plan was in the best interest of us all. Not having to worry about the Zu’har suddenly showing up in force and causing more chaos was preferred by all. Dealing with the rest of the universe seemed a simpler matter. We knew we would not flaunt or try not to flaunt or new found offensive capabilities. We also understood and made it plain to Lafiel that once this conflict was in hand we would resort to business as usual there was no need to deploy a vast armada of ships to show our military muscle, yet we would keep a ship or two on stand by just incase someone somewhere decided they wanted to try us out.

The final conversation was started by Noel and Sobbash. They asked a question most of us were considering but didn’t know exactly how to phrase it properly. How this new found offensive capability would be used against those who might wish us harm, in other words, Lafiel’s enemies with in the Abh Empire. That bunch of fools who placed me in exile and would have cast the survivors from Sol Eros into the abyss. Those who anger Spoor at every turn, cause nothing but grief and angst for those who presently govern the Empire.

Noel and Sobbash spoke for all of us when they said they would not take on the Star Forces as an aggressor. Lafiel didn’t disagree with the statement in the least. In fact she went to great lengths to explain that the topic brought up did not concern anyone standing in this room. It was and will be something Lafiel will deal with by herself, politically, and at a time of her choosing.

With that the planning for the trip to Seelnay’s home was taken up. It would take less than a day to travel the planet, explore it and return to Shahrazad. Lafiel’s initial plan was to leave after this meeting, but we, as a group convinced her to wait two days before leaving. Most of us were still suffering from exhaustion how Lafiel was managing was beyond most of us to figure out. Lafiel gave in and we planned to leave early on the full moon, another thing Scholar found comforting, her beliefs stated that a full moon was a good omen and should not be squandered. For the rest of us it was two days to relax and catch up. There had been very little sleep and a lot of mental strain in the past three days, we needed a break desperately.

Seelnay and Scholar were getting ready to leave they asked if I wanted to go with them. I hesitated at first but a nod from Jinto and I was returning back with them to the Village. Something told me the next two days on the island would not be restful and I needed some rest as did everyone in the shuttle.

“Admiral Spoor, follow me she’s in the rehab room.”

Kufadis and I followed Mia down the hallway to an open area neatly arranged on the floor and south wall were the exercise devices. We had made it to the physical rehab unit and my niece was standing on a treadmill taking a few very unsteady steps.

“Aunt Painiach what brings you here? Did mother send you to check up on me?”

Her annoying refrain almost made me turn and leave without saying a word but I had something I wanted her to hear and she was a captive audience at this moment.

“No child I’m not here at your mother’s behest in fact I doubt if your mother knows or would care about your present condition. I’m here as one you should listen to seriously and believe what I’m about to tell you.”

She stopped what she was doing and motioned me to her. I saw the open hand heading for my face caught it in mid flight and said.

“I guess coming close to dying and facing a life of limited movement hasn’t broken your spirit nor brought you to your senses either. I’ll say my peace and leave you I’ll only return if you so desire. You did a very brave thing; you saved a ship full of people and almost lost your life in the process. It is my understanding that until you are fit enough, if ever, you’ll remain on this world in the care of these people. I believe this is a good thing for you to experience and I’m also making sure you receive the best of care. Remember one thing, on this world Lafiel is the law. I would seriously recommend that you make your peace with her as soon as it is possible. I believe she’s willing to forget the past if you are, but that’s not set in stone it will depend on how you treat her when she visits and believe me she will visit just as unexpectedly as I have. I wish you a speedy recovery and now I’ll take your leave.”

She said nothing as Kufadis and I retraced our steps once outside Kufadis had a few question.

“Are you always that formal with her? Was there, at one time any love between you two?”

I shook my head and told him from the time she was able to walk and talk we have always had a formal relationship. She never had much use for me until she entered the Star Forces I was her first training officer and our time together ended up being very short. I really never got to know her and now after what Kufadis had said I wondered if that was a mistake, then I wondered if it was a correctable mistake. We made our way to the square and had lunch Kufadis words still bouncing around in my head.

After the planning session Lafiel and I went our separate way for about an hour or so. I had the daily dispatches from Martine to look over and she wanted to spend some time in the simulator room or as I’ve called it her private game room. This morning’s dispatches raise my concern level about Martine. Paveryua’s report and accompanying intercepts of the government broadcast show me how close Martine is to having a civil war break out in earnest. In overnight conflicts between the revolutionary militia and the government forces almost fifty were killed or wounded. Teel appealed for calm and for the militia to lay down its arms, neither had happened as of the transmission I saw. It was about eighteen hours old by the time I viewed it.

Civil unrest it one thing but this escalation to a shooting conflict where anyone or anything is a target leaves me cold. I guess it’s from being around the Abh as long as I have, they have no documented unrest in their history and from what I’ve experienced their reaction to Martine’s plight had it been on the Abh home world, for instance, would have been overwhelming force and no one left to complain. I don’t see that as the outcome on Martine yet, if this conflict doesn’t stop, the unrest and violence will escalate. It is how my branch of humanity deals with life. They have not reached the plateau the Abh have however the Abh are not perfect either.

I leave my office and head for Lafiel’s game room my mind is still sorting out everything I’ve seen and somewhere between me opening the door to and entering where Lafiel was a light flashed in my head. There was something I could do or we as a planet could do to help Martine. I guess I must have had quite the look on my face because the next thing I knew Lafiel was standing in front of me examining it with great curiosity.

“Jinto my love what is with this look? Has something bad happened or about to happen? I’ve never seen this look before.”

I spent the next minutes describing the events occurring on Martine. Lafiel took a step back and a look of concern was showing on her face as well. Now I’ve got to say something, had this been before we settled upon this world, Lafiel’s reaction would have been that of most Abh’s, “A surface world, none of our concern unless it spills into space and disrupts our interstellar trade agreements.” Since we now live on a surface world and Lafiel has seen what discord can arise from trivial matters, which most Abh do not deal with on a regular basis, she’s become sensitive to the plight of other worlds and Martine in particular. I take this moment to express to her my only idea to help Martine.

“Martine desperately needs a steady flow of supplies plus improvements to the infrastructure so they can feed and care for themselves again. They became lazy with the Empire supplying them with everything and now that the supply lines have been disrupted that’s one part of the problem. The other part is Teel in declaring his independence he could not, even if the Empire would, go to the Capital for help. He needs allies that will project sufficient respect to the populace…”

Lafiel was in my face I knew that look. She carefully studied my face placed a kiss on my lips and finished my thought

“A show of support coupled with enough military might to silence those who might oppose him. You’re thinking a transport full of supplies and the…”

She had a semi blank look on her face I wasn’t sure what she was thinking till she finished her previous thought.

“We’ve got to name that ship, it’s not having one is becoming very annoying. I mean, we send a dispatch to Martine informing Teel the transport Ku Dorin and the blank will be heading to Martine, it just sounds silly. I guess we should also give the ship a classification too, a name, without explanation is just as confusing as a ship with no name.”

My look explained my delight in Lafiel’s decision. I gave her a kiss and we set off to figure out an appropriate name and classification for the new ship. It took most of the afternoon but at dinner for the staff we made our announcement. Scholar with Dai and the Council were video linked and the rest sat in the main dining hall, a room unused for way too long. On the display was the ship and before it stood Lafiel a pointer in hand.

“This meeting and dinner serves two purposes. First is the naming of this starship, the reason we chose starship instead of any normal warship classification is, this is no normal warship and it was our intent in so classifying it. This starship will be a projection of this planets intent to remain peaceful and assist those who request our help. So from this moment on production vessel thirty-one shall be known as the Starship Independence are there any questions?”

Lafiel tapped the display a badge with the planet Shahrazad and the word Independence circling it appeared on the ships hull.

“In the landers tradition, I christen the, Starship Independence. May your voyages always return you home safely, now for the second part of this session you know we are heading out in two days for Seelnay’s home world. I propose a small detour. Jinto’s home world of Martine is suffering from civil unrest. With the Council’s permission I’d like to fill our transport with extra supplies and make a journey to Martine. I’d also like a member of the council to accompany us, as an ambassador to Martine, as you are all aware the government of Martine will not allow neither Jinto nor I on the home world. So as the planet of Shahrazad and with an agreement in hand I wish, in de facto, to establish relationship between our two worlds on a limited basis that is. “

The commotion on the link was much less that I figured it would be. Somehow Lafiel had managed to tell Scholar of her plans and already had the Councils approval; all this meeting did was make it official. To my surprise the ambassador would be Li and her father Kim would go as her assistant. I figured Erin would go as head of the Council but maybe I’m thinking too much like an Abh. Teel would accept Li and Kim just as easily as he would Erin and as head of the Council saddling her with being Martine’s ambassador was asking too much. No it was a good choice and it gave Li something to do in her spare time. I applauded along with the rest of the room when Li and Kim accepted their new duties.

With the plans for Martine finalized Lafiel, Sobbash and Noel headed into the Village. Even though it was sunset, going to the Village never seemed to have a set time limit. I watched as they left and turned to find Samson and Risch facing me.

“She’s got all the bases covered this time. Who would have guessed I’d be captain of the Independence.”

Samson’s statement along with his chuckle convinced me he knew this was a show promotion, that Teel would never knowingly let an Abh step foot on the home world. That is why Atosuryua would command the transport, but she’d have Villagers as crew to off load the cargo. No Abh’s means No Abh’s, the things you have to do to make everyone happy. Risch, who understood what was happening, still shook his head from side to side. To him this was effort wasted, making Samson captain, crewing the transport with Villagers, all to deliver cargo and establish relationship with a planet hostile to his kind, it left him annoyed not confused.

“Lafiel are you absolutely sure you want to do this? Once done its done there will be no undoing this.”

Noel and Sobbash stood in front of me momentarily blocking my access to the chair. I convinced them and myself that this was something I wanted to do for quite some time and I was going through with it. Convinced they moved aside and I sat in the chair.

“You said at the bottom of the shoulder blades is that correct?” I nodded.

“A straight cut or tapered edges?”

I motioned Sobbash and Noel to my side. The hair stylist was holding two views of how my hair could look when she was finished one was my hair in a straight line across my back the other was the outer edges tapered, the hair making a neat curved shape instead of a straight line. I liked the taper, but I wanted their opinion because they’d be looking at it more than I would. Amazingly they both like the taper as well so taper it was. Once cut came the surprise which I brought them along to help me decide.

“Ma’am your skin tone should determine what color I make your hair”

The hair stylist’s comment caught both of them off guard. We had discussed in past Jinto getting me to dye my hair black but this time I was volunteering to change it of my own accord. They were stunned to say the least. Sobbash and Noel looked at the color chart; red was discarded immediately although Noel said it did fit my old self she continued to say this color should reflect my new personality. Black was also discarded my complexion didn’t support black either. Blond met the same fate as black so now we were in hues of brown.

An image was captured on the computer it was here that the final decision would take place. I also agreed to color my eyebrows to match, my blue eyebrows only went with my blue hair but this wasn’t a permanent change. The hair cut was, well until I could grow it out again and that will take a bit of time to accomplish. So we were down to three choices, chestnut a dark brown, a medium brown and the one I was taking a liking to fawn, a highlighted brown. The chestnut was too dark for my liking. The medium brown was still too dark for my liking, where as the fawn was a brown about one shade darker than my present tan. So when winter arrived it would be a bit darker and it was a natural color it had a glow, unlike the darker ones, it made me looked unique. Well okay, my blue hair is quite unique too.

Sobbash and Noel found my choice quite interesting with that it was decided and the make over proceeded without any further discussion.

My look changed and my hair done we left the studio and headed for Scholar’s I wondered what her response would be? Rounding the corner the first one to see my new look came into view.

“Lafiel! Is that really you?”

A stunned Dai Lexshu stood before me her eyes were as big as I’ve ever seen anyone’s before. I smiled and spoke she knew it was me and her look changed. She was looked over my shoulder and saw not only was my hair colored but about fifty percent of it was missing.

“You went and did it you became…” I stopped her.

“Dai, I’m still me, its still Lafiel I wanted a change to fit my relaxed personality nothing more nothing less well okay the hair’s a lot shorter but you know how much I struggled with it.”

Dai took another step towards me she looked at my face and said.

“Eyebrows too, you did them? Wow I’m really ah um impressed its going to take a little getting use to so don’t get upset okay?”

I wasn’t upset in fact I was enjoying this. The trip to Scholar’s was just as eventful; we caught Erin and Li leaving. Erin loved it and Li said it was okay, from her that was a compliment and I accepted it as such. Scholar was impressed of course Scholar was the one who introduced me to the hair stylus in the first place but she figured I’d never go through with it until now that is. I refrained from going to the hospital as much as I wanted Mia and Doctor Sasoum to see my new look there was someone in the building I still had to deal with and the time was not right.

We returned to the island and made a surprise visit to the workshop. Jinto, Risch and Samson were standing just inside the door. Sobbash went first followed by Noel and I brought up the rear the silence when I entered was like space itself. Jinto looked at me walked over to me gave me a hug looked over my shoulder and finally said.

“Must be you, no other woman would dare let me touch her in such a fashion.”

My face flushed and Jinto continued.

“You look great Lafiel, of course you looked great before and when it was black too. I really don’t think there is anything you can do that will remove your inner beauty.”

There are moments where I love him and can kill him in the same instant. This was one of those moments confessing to me like this I love him for, but to do it in public, I could kill him for. Yet these are our friends and no one seemed amazed at what Jinto had said so it came as no surprise which meant he’s said it before even though I wasn’t around. I forgave him and told him I was happy he liked my new look. Then I proceeded to put my foot in my mouth when I told him I was ready for bed. By the snickers from those in the room I knew I was taken completely out of context, to which I smiled took Jinto by the hand and left without saying another word.

Jinto and Lafiel had just left Sobbash, Samson, Risch and I stood there watching them head back to the Residence. Lafiel had a bounce in her step I’d not seen before I commented that to Sobbash and she agreed. The next thing we knew a conversation between Risch and Samson had begun over Lafiel’s new look and how they though the two of us would look made over.

I’ll admit had Lafiel not expressed the opinion earlier that our males would probably comment on this change. There would have been wholesale bedlam at those comments, but Sobbash and I took them as objective suggestions and not criticisms. After an hour of discussion it was decided, that for the mean time, Sobbash and I would keep our present appearances, however you should know we both found the change from hues of blue to something else interesting, a subject we might investigate in the future, maybe.

Two days passed too quickly. It was the afternoon of our departure. The Independence sat on the departure pad the final loading of munitions and crew members was complete. The Ku Dorin had departed an hour earlier Atosuryua was stopping by the fuel depot and then picking up Spoor’s escort. We would join them at the system’s boundaries.

This trip was to be made in normal space Spoor’s escort was for the Ku Dorin’s return trip. It was our plan to leave Martine and at factor six arrive at Seelnay’s home world later that day. We would be gone three days while the transport and escort would be gone five days in all. Having the speed and not having to follow the irregular path the Sord presented gave us certain advantages.

Everyone had seen Lafiel’s new look by now. So she didn’t attract the attention she had earlier, yet this time she put her hair in a ponytail and in the new uniform, which we all wore, she looked stunning. The uniform was an adaptation of the earlier Star Forces uniform / space suit but it was tailored for each one of us, instead of being off the shelf, it will fit standard issue stuff. I kind of like this uniform too it fits well and gives me room to move. The insignia of the ship was on each left shoulder and that was the only attachment to the other wise elegant uniform.

For this shake down cruise we had extra help. Sobbash was at tactical I had navigation, Dai was on communications, Jinto monitored ships systems, and Scholar was science officer, a new station on this ship, she had the long range scanners and we had adapted them to her unique touch plates. Lafiel asked for the pre departure list to be read once that was completed we departed.

Captain Samson and Engineer Risch sat in the main control room, for this trip only Samson and Sobbash would be aboard it had been decided earlier that until the Zu’har threat was removed as long as the planet stood the chance of being attacked they would stay on Shahrazad. In this case the Lashkau and Jemkau were in system and defending the planet so this trip would be their first and probably last for the foreseeable future.

“It’s a good ship Risch it’ll bring you home alive every time I feel. I must confess if we should run across the Zu’har while we are gone watch Sobbash closely. I think she’ll be okay in a fight but it’s been a while since she’s been in space and…”

I felt Risch’s hand fall on my shoulder I turned to find him smiling. I’ve been with the Abh most of my life, although they are human, they always give one the impression, they were better than those humans who lived on the land. Risch isn’t your typical Abh he’s more lander than Abh his smile told me he understood my concern and he’d keep an eye on Sobbash as well.

“Plodding along in normal space is not very elegant, for once Kufadis I’m glad we are staying behind, they are going to have a very boring trip.”

Painiach left the bridge and made her way to her quarters. I sat monitoring the transports progress and knew deep down Painiach wanted to be going with them however Lafiel asked, in hind sight that was a request she made, for us to remain here and guard the system. Five days in this system would not be very enjoyable either but duty never has been fun that’s why it’s called duty.

The Independence just departed Shahrazad; awkward looking on the surface the ship takes on a graceful appearance in the vastness of space. I wonder what its like to serve aboard such a ship, what Lafiel and those must be feeling about now.

“How far ahead of us is the transport?”

I had it on the navigational scanners and Scholar reported it to be almost at the system boundary. Lafiel sat smiling she opened a link to engineering and said.

“Risch want to test those new engines out? I need thirty seconds at factor one to make our appointment. Do you think that’s possible?”

The unmistakable hum of the star drive filled the bridge and in a blink we were off on our next adventure.

The Independence was sitting about thirty thousand meters off our port side when suddenly it glowed a hue of blue-purple and then vanished in a streak of light. I had just witnessed its first attempt at light speed and I must admit not only am I impressed but I am also very jealous. I really wanted to be on that ship no doubt about it.

The trip to Martine went off smoothly there were no unusual events along the way. However on approach to Martine the Ku Dorin was hail and informed that a surface landing was risky due to insurgents at the landing site. It was time for Shahrazad’s military to make it presence known. We followed the transport to its landing and managed to drive the insurgents back by our mere presence.

Teel met the transport and signed a mutual trade agreement with Li and Kim. We landed next to the transport and Teel met with Samson. This entire meeting was put on for the government’s publicity use, nothing was staged, yet when Jinto viewed the news feed later in the day the populace was given the impression that any more insurgency would be met with the military might of Shahrazad, Martine’s new partner in peace.

While Li, Kim and Samson were the public face of Shahrazad in a few fleeting moments of the coverage you can see two members of the crew talking with Teel’s wife Lina. She seemed to be very interested with these two people, although we never see their faces, it is rumored it was Captain Samson’s first officer and his wife bringing greetings from the planet to the presidents wife.

Jinto quietly chuckled while Lafiel watched the press release. There in the span of fifteen seconds was Lina being approached by two crew members, they were given a greeting that most would have compared to a mother greeting a long lost child. It was know to all that Teel and Lina didn’t have any children so the reporter blew off the expressions of emotion as relief that Shahrazad had agreed to help Martine in its time of peril.

Little did anyone know that those two people were in fact Count of Hyde Jinto Lynn and his wife Lafiel First Princess of the Abh Empire. It was noted that the woman was very beautiful and her brown hair was neatly put in a ponytail, outside of that the press ignored them and concentrated on Samson, Li and Kim the real stars of this event.

The viewing over Lafiel leaned back in the chair and faced Jinto.

“It was nice seeing Lina again however that comment about offspring I really didn’t understand.”

Jinto chuckled and explained that normally couples being together as long as they had would have had offspring by now, what Lina failed to consider that in the grand scheme of things, in comparison to landers, Jinto and Lafiel were still quite young and had plenty of time to have children a fact Lina did not find amusing. She wanted to see grand children before she died and said that in no uncertain terms. It was at that point they returned to the ship with Jinto telling Lina they would give the matter due consideration and forward the answer via Li to her.

“Due consideration Jinto? Is that your way of putting her off, or convincing me to have a child? If it’s the latter I find the idea very unromantic. Follow me Jinto?”

Jinto had done it again and it always was when Teel or Lina were involved. He’d put his mouth in gear before engaging his brain and had said something that really didn’t need to be said. Now not only would Lina be on his case but Lafiel was not pleased being place in this rather uncomfortable position. Children she wanted but this was neither the time nor the place to discuss it. She made that know to Jinto as they were leaving for Seelnay’s home world.

“We have a mission to finish then our promise to fulfill. Once that is settled any other matters may be brought to my attention is that clear Jinto Lynn?”

Jinto nodded and moved back to his seat. Dai, Scholar, Sobbash and I had never seen Jinto and Lafiel have a personal discussion before and if they all ended this way how he managed to marry her was beyond our thinking. The course is set we are on our way to discover what Seelnay’s home world fought off all those years ago. I wonder what we will find I have to admit my curiosity is peaking about now.

To Be Continued in: Investigation of the Source

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."