29_Tay

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

29_Tay

Post by Diaho »

Tay

My worst fears about what I left incubating in the chamber last night have come to pass. This morning I expected to see about three month’s development. My calculations proved to be quite flawed, what I found was six almost seven months of development. Yet this being that resembled a humanoid still bore the distinct genetic coding that every Zu’har has. My question for the computers was where the humanoid appearance came from. There wasn’t an answer at this time although one thing was evident; this being was going to be female in appearance.

I called Scholar to the research lab. She was not as surprised as I was when she saw the development in the chamber. I started examining the data collected and Scholar cued the video recorded from the time I left the lab last evening till I walked in this morning. I was hoping that between the two of us we’d find something the computers had missed. We decided not to inform Lafiel until we had something concrete to tell her. She’d had enough speculation, for the time being, and I wanted to present to her with some cold hard facts this time. Hopefully we would have those before she arrived this afternoon. I heard Scholar speaking but…

“Doctor you should have a look at this.”

Scholar stood before the display where she had been reviewing the video. I made my way to her side as I concentrated on the frozen frame; Scholar started the recording again what I saw was unnerving. Our subject one moment resembled a fetus and in the next it had morphed into a larva. This metamorphosis repeated every fifty minutes, it lasted about eight minutes, and then the cycle repeated over the following four hours. Two hours ago it took on a humanoid appearance and has remained that way till this moment. Comparing the data to the video revealed something I hadn’t considered.

Originally I figured the genetic material was in the FOS to conceive life but it looked like there was more to this DNA than just reproduction. While in the larvae stage the DNA was being transformed into a very complex strand. This strand which evolved in each subsequent metamorphosis was laying the ground work for… Scholar and I ran the results through the computers several times. We got the same answer each time, what was in the chamber would not exit as a newborn, it would be fully developed, a young adult so to say. Estimated time to completion of gestation was seventy five hours. In three days a new life, probably hostile to us, will be born unless we terminated it here and now. I stare at the chamber considering my next step…

“Doctor, your strong emotional surge betrays your real intent. We’ll not kill this being, not now, should it turn hostile later on then appropriate measures will be taken. You forget I control the detail waiting in the other room. We need to know everything about these creatures we can. Granted our final objective is to destroy the race as a whole, but don’t you think we might be able to preserve…”

I hate telepaths and this planet has too many of them for my comfort. I’ll admit Abh’s have abilities that most landers don’t. We can sense movements around us and feel strong emotions from those broadcasting them but Scholar has just entered my mind took a fast inventory of my thoughts and left as quietly as she had entered. We had agreed a long time ago that wasn’t going to happen yet happen it has and I know right now she feels exactly what I’m about to voice.

“I wish you really wouldn’t do that, it’s so frustrating to have ones thoughts read and announced before the logical processes have run their course. Yes my first thought was and is to terminate it before it becomes an issue. However my medical oath which I’ll admit I use more as a shield than in practice says I should preserve all life. Scholar what you don’t know is, this isn’t the first life I’ve decided to stop before emergence. In my early experiments, well I’ll say this. Noel being an only child wasn’t the original plan and I’ll leave it at that.”

If Scholar didn’t sense my present emotional state then she’s losing her touch. The proper response from her at this time should be silence. Not a word was spoken and for the next few hours as we quietly continued to review the data. My hope is to have answers for Lafiel when she arrives.

I awoke about mid morning Lafiel was still sleeping. I’m being too generous what Lafiel was doing although she had her eyes closed was not restful sleep. Twitching, turning about the bed, she was wrestling with her next options concerning the Zu’har. If this is how the night has gone she’ll not be rested in the least.

The room is cool and Lafiel has kicked the covers off onto the floor. I pick up everything but the light blanket and place them in the chair beside the bed. Being careful not to wake her I gently lay the blanket across her lower torso. On contact her hands grasp the blanket and pull it to her chin. I adjust the free end to cover her feet and leave the room.

Bright sunshine and a clear blue cloudless sky greet me as I walk across the square to the restaurant in the Village. Breakfast was simple I wasn’t all that hungry; once I had that finished I contacted Risch. The evening of sorting through data had yielded some interesting tidbits which he asked me if he should bring them to the Village or await our return. I told him of our evening and suggested that he had the information at hand in case Lafiel wanted it here but it was my understanding that those decisions were to be made on the island and not in the Village.

Before I ended our chat I asked how Jinto was doing. Risch was blunt; Jinto had Martine and nothing else on his mind. He spent till early morning searching for anything concerning those involved in the orbital devices. Risch said Jinto was waiting for the Seelnay and the Ku Dorin to arrive. I paused for a moment and realized that having a fast ship has some disadvantages. We arrived here well before the transport due to our speed now Jinto has to wait for them so he can continue to question Arisa. I told Risch that Lafiel was still sleeping and I wasn’t sure what mood she would be in when she woke, but what ever happens I told him that I missed him and loved him very much. And I would see him very soon one way or the other.

I closed the link and went back to the square that is where Lafiel found me. I was sitting very disconnected from my body and the present surroundings, day dreaming as Jinto would say. Her hand on my shoulder returned me to the here and now.

“Noel. Are you hungry?”

“Already had breakfast you hungry?”

“Not really but I’m not ready to go see Scholar either.”

“We could sit here and absorb this beautiful day till you’re ready to go Lafiel.”

Lafiel sat next to me and for about two hours we took in the day, felt the warmth of the sun, the scents on the breeze and the calm this planet normally shows one who takes the time to notice it. Although Lafiel’s mind did not require food her body announced rather loudly that nourishment would be the next thing on our agenda. We made our way to the restaurant for lunch and I joined Lafiel in having a bit of a snack myself. It had been a long time since we had a leisurely lunch and we enjoyed every moment of it.

Our conversation over lunch was light hearted. We discussed the crop forecast, noticed the baby boom had truly arrived and looked towards the future. It was the future that turned the conversation dark. Lafiel suddenly stopped talking, finished her drink and said it was time to go see Scholar. We had spent almost three hours total not thinking about anything of any importance. I found it a welcome change from our recently accelerated life style, which I wished would end so I could return to… Wishful thinking on my part, from the first I knew finding peace was going to be a challenge, but after the time we just spent being peaceful I was determined to find a way to make it permanent.

We are on the last leg of our journey the Sord that leads to Shahrazad lies a mere four hours before us. It’s been a very quiet and restful trip. Li has spent the trip locked in her cabin only opening the door to receive food from the galley. Kim has spent the trip in the ships library he’s been studying the history of the Abh. We’ve had lunch once and like his daughter he’s been quite the recluse. Sensors show the Seelnay is thirty-eight hundred meters to our starboard amidships position. Arisa and crew have been silently following us. What lies before them, I do not know, however if Lafiel follows Abh law to the letter, Arisa will never captain a ship again.

I’ve just received new orders, we are to come directly to the planet and avoid the fuel depot. Also we are to refuse any communication from the depot. Reading those orders tells me that Lafiel and Spoor have not squared off on the subject of Li’s actions. I was hoping that would be resolved by the time we got back but I’ll assume Lafiel and company have more pressing issues than Li’s actions to consider at this time. The uneasy feeling I’ve had since we left Martine is still there. My experience tells me something is not right with that situation. I wish I could figure it out because finding personal peace on this trip has been a daunting challenge.

“Lina I insist that you go to Shahrazad and deliver this to Jinto in person. I’ve contacted the depot master a shuttle is waiting on the orbital platform. Time is of the essence my love, go, don’t worry about me but go please.”

Lina stood in the garden. Teel had handed her a package and instructed her to take Li up on her invitation. How Teel knew of this was beyond Lina’s reasoning. She was certain that no one had overheard the conversation she and Li had, unless the garden itself was bugged then Teel knew everything. Age has taken the sharpness from Lina’s mind or she would have realized Teel’s real intent from the first. Torn between Teel and Jinto she finally decided to leave Martine. Paveryua was at the orbital tower waiting for her, once aboard and in space he rendezvoused with a high-speed shuttle and sent Lina on her way.

It was Lina’s request that Jinto not be informed of her arrival, something Paveryua wrestled with most of the day. That evening he sent Dai Lexshu a message explaining what had happened and that she was to use her judgment to determine if Jinto needed to be informed or should Lina have her surprise visit.

Paveryua’s message arrived about thirty minutes ago. I’ve read it and understand why I was chosen to get it. The rest of the senior staff is so involved in the investigation of the Zu’har that none of them would be objective enough to understand the ramifications of either the message or the reason why our visitor is on the way. Paveryua spelled it out in his opinion at the end of the message.

“Commander Lexshu I was approached by the President this morning. He was requesting transport to Shahrazad for the first lady. This was done on a personal and secured channel. Shortly after I transferred her to the high-speed shuttle Martine went silent all communications became scrambled and the orbital station now broadcasts a warning that any attempt to land upon it, or the planet, will be met with deadly force. I believe a Coup has occurred and Teel Clint no longer governs Martine. Although I can not confirm this to the extent that Count Hyde would accept it. I believe the package the first lady was clutching to her contains the proof that the Count would need. Act as you see fit and I wish you luck.”

Lafiel and Noel are still in the Village I saw them leaving Scholar’s about fifteen minutes ago. If I move fast I should be able to catch them before they leave and since I’m closer to where the hover car is parked than they are that’s where I’ll head.

It was sunset when Noel and I left Scholar and Doctor Sasoum. The amount and intensity of the information delivered to us had both of us in a daze. We decided another night in the Village was in order, going back to the island in our present state was asking for more trouble than being there was worth. Noel said she had a change of clothes in the hover car I decided to go with her waiting for her by myself wasn’t an appealing thought at the moment.

We found Dai at the hover car it was obvious she had sprinted there but why? She regained her composure and handed me a message from Paveryua. After I read it I gave it to Noel she paled as she read it.

“Lafiel. When Jinto finds this out he’ll be…”

“It depends on how much we tell him. Lina may or may not know the reason why she’s on her way here. If she doesn’t know it will be good if they find out together. The reason I say this is if she knows what Paveryua is implying. She would be trying to contact Jinto also I feel if she knew, she never would have left Martine. Dai we are spending the night here join us for dinner and conversation I need someone with a fresh outlook to talk to.”

Lafiel’s words came as a surprise to me normally I was a staff member but never one asked their opinion. Something unusual has happened besides the trouble on Martine and Lafiel was searching for different points of view. I never though of being family before, but, I felt Lafiel was extending this invite to get a Lexshu opinion on things. I’m not Plakia never professed to be either I barely knew her. But in the overall scheme of things I actually knew her longer than her daughter did. This in itself spoke volumes on my objection to the one parent system of rearing Abh children.

Spending the first twenty plus years of ones life not knowing who the other parent is does not, in my opinion, enrich the experience in any way. Something that I will do without fail is my children will have two functioning parents and if my chosen partner can not or will not understand that then there are others that will. Romantic love and two parents those are my requirements for the time being and to tell you the truth I haven’t found it yet. Well almost, it depends on too many other things right now. Dinner was a walk across the square away. After my sprint to the hover car I was hungry, very hungry.

The village likes to close its shops about three hours after sunset the only exception is the restaurant their hours vary depending on the amount of clients in the place. Tonight was a very busy night we ended up eating outside because there was no room inside. Lafiel and Noel stared at my plate; in comparison I had enough food to feed the three of us comfortably. I dove in and twenty minutes later the meal was gone.

“I wish I could eat like that and never gain weight.” Noel said.

Lafiel finished her meal Noel’s comment was noted but left unanswered. I was still hungry but I decided not to divulge that information after what Noel had said. Once the meal was finished Lafiel started a conversation, the subject of which was, me. I thought for one moment I was back at the academy going through my interviews. Lafiel asked a lot of questions about my background, training and experience. She could have pulled my service record and read all of that, but she wanted to hear it in my words it seems.

Once we were finished with that then came a question I was dreading. It was how well I knew the late Captain Lexshu. Part of me wanted to get up and leave that very instant but I decided now was as good a time as any to see what Lafiel finally wanted. To my surprise Lafiel accepted my recollections of her mother without further question. The restaurant was closing and we moved from there to where Lafiel and Noel were staying. Lafiel started a large pot of very strong coffee and said.

“Plan on a long evening Dai, we’ve got a lot to get you up to speed on.”

That evening lasted till shortly before dawn. I sat through the review of the entire conversation Lafiel had with Scholar and Doctor Sasoum. The Zu’har is a race of Insectoids, which have managed to take humanoid form. So it was uncertain how many of them were like this or how they were distributed throughout the galaxy. Lafiel’s first suggestion was for me to question the Zu’har spy we had in confinement to determine two things; one was she really a Zu’har in humanoid form and if she was, to get an explanation from her as to how they evolved.

What has me worried is the experiment that is in process with in the lab. We are creating a Zu’har for the purpose of? Lafiel either couldn’t or wouldn’t answer that question. However it became my top priority to get an answer and the sooner the better.

“Risch do not argue with me. We are spending another night in the Village. Lafiel is talking with Dai at this moment and there is a large pot of strong coffee brewing. As much as I want to be there we also need to finish what we started here as well.”

The sigh followed by Risch’s acknowledgment of my message left me feeling better. Better that I delivered my message but not better because I wasn’t there with him. The smell of coffee was coming down the hall as I approached our room. Opening the door I found Lafiel and Dai with the first of many cups in hand. It was a long night and I missed Risch a lot.

I finished talking to Noel and dropped my creunoc from my lips. I was standing in the garden on the island. My original intent was to be close when Noel arrived, but as the evening passed on I realized she wasn’t coming home tonight. Her message at least told me what I had already guessed. Walking back to the cottage I found Samson sitting on his front porch he met me half way.

“She’s not coming home tonight it seems.”

My words didn’t surprise him, we spent about an hour discussing the day’s events and finally he asked me the one question I really didn’t want to answer, but as my friend I decided to confide in him.

“You’re correct Samson; Noel came very close to having a nervous breakdown and to tell you the truth Sobbash didn’t look much better until we got on firmer ground.”

Samson didn’t take offense to my statement, in fact he agreed with me. Going to space was Sobbash’s idea she had to know if she could handle it again. Samson felt that she did well until the confrontation with Lafiel on Seelnay’s home world.

“You realize Sobbash’s weapon was on a heavy stun setting? Had you not intervened she was going to make sure no one entered that cave. I don’t know what she sensed but…”

I hadn’t realized that fact all I knew that two people I cared about were going to do something stupid which I had in my power to defuse. That is exactly what I did and it was a high point of the trip for me, for once I really felt I was useful. Don’t get me wrong I know the engineering feats that Samson and I have preformed had been acknowledge with thanks from not only those on this island but those in the Village as well. Yet getting personal, breaking up Sobbash and Lafiel left me feeling very content.

“Samson how is Sobbash now that we are back on this world?”

From the shadows came my answer.

“I’m doing very well thank you for inquiring.”

Sobbash had exited the hot house and had overheard most of our conversation. When I asked my question it was there she decided to show herself. Her explanation set me thinking.

“The mental experiment that we were exposed to by the UMK affected women differently than men. It’s been my observation since that event most males show none of the uncertainty we females are experiencing. I’ll admit it hit me hard, Noel too. Lafiel seems to have a barrier that it didn’t completely broach but it has affected her as well. Those of us who took early retirement suffer from similar experiences; I know I’ve kept in contact with about twenty of those we served with. The other person who baffles me is Atosuryua, she acts at times like she was not affected and then in the next moment she is as bad, or worse, than Noel and I get. As much as I want to be at Lafiel’s side I feel I’d jeopardize the mission at hand.”

Sobbash then kissed Samson on the cheek and returned to their cottage. Her walk was that of an officer in the Star Forces proud and defiant. Samson and I finished what we had to say and went our way. Opening the door to our cottage I saw the image I treasure the most, Noel standing proudly after making captain and getting her ship, the one we lost later that year. It has been sometime since I’ve seen Noel looking that happy. I wondered if she’d ever feel that way again.

I looked at the time it was three am. It would seem most important things in this Village occur around this time. As much as I hated to do this I woke Scholar. Half asleep she wandered into the lab once I showed her the latest test results she was wide awake.

“Not possible! No way Doctor, you’re telling me that all traces of the Zu’har DNA are gone?”

That is exactly what I was telling Scholar, in the three hours between scans all trace of the insectoid DNA had vanished. What was in the gestation chamber was a humanoid female with a DNA structure I’d never seen before. It should be noted that our normally docile patient was becoming active and the computers monitoring the chamber have upped the nutrients in the solution to almost new born levels. It would seem the time was nearing for emergence, but were we ready for what was about to be born?

“What is the estimated time of arrival? Can the computers determine that with any certainty, or will one of us have to be here to keep watch?”

I explained since what we had did not completely fit into any classifications the computers had stored in their data banks I had set the unit to detect the change in activity that normally happens right before labor is about to start. Even Abh’s show a tendency when the time is right, I was hoping the computer would sense that change and start the emergence cycle on it own. If not then one of us would have to be here to do it manually lest we lose the new born.

Scholar understood my explanation and exited to the next room. In there was a cot and she proceeded to continue the rest cycle I had interrupted. I sat watching the displays, in the mean time I also set the computers to continuously monitoring our subject. I wanted a record of the event that was about to happen.

Arisa had transferred to the Ku Dorin before we started our descent to Shahrazad. She stayed on the bridge until we landed. Once on the surface she made her way to the island to continue the inquiry she had brought upon herself.

I watched as she left and hoped that everything she did could be undone, wishful thinking on my part but in my travels I’ve had dealings with her in the past she has always been trustworthy and fair. I feel she got taken in by a ruthless bunch who saw her kindness and used it against her, but that will be for Jinto and Lafiel to decide. I’ve got this ship to contend with and although I wish Arisa well she did turn a blind eye to what was happening.

Seelnay met me just east of where the Ku Dorin was moored, the hover car ride was very quiet. I could sense that Seelnay wanted to say something, probably bawling me out for doing something so stupid, but she sat there silently driving us to the island. I’ve resigned myself to what ever punishment Jinto and Lafiel will deal out. I now know no matter what my original intent was, what I did was wrong. Hopefully it is something that can be rectified, but in my heart I feel I’ll never see space again.

Jinto met us at the island he looked very tired and extremely drained. I was escorted to a guest room with in the Residence where Jinto said I could rest before our formal meeting in the morning when Lafiel would be back. He said little more than that and left me in my room. Looking out the window I saw Jinto exiting the building and meeting Ambassador Li their conversation was extremely animated it seemed Jinto was saving his first salvo for her instead of me. I walked away from the window what they were discussing was none of my business.

It was almost noon when I finally awoke. Noel had called it a night before Lafiel and I and it seemed she was already up and gone. Lafiel laid prone across the bed obvious to anything that was happening around her. I grabbed my clothes and dressed I knew where I would find Noel and my hunch was correct. She was sitting at the restaurant; a plate of food was being delivered as I approached her. I invited myself and sat across from her. Her first course was larger than mine from the previous night and I almost commented then remember what she had said at that time.

“Are you going to eat or watch me eat?” Noel quipped.

I placed an order that rivaled hers and waited for it to arrive. Undaunted by my sitting there watching her, Noel proceeded to clean her plate and then we both awaited the balance of our orders.

“Lafiel’s still sleeping?” Noel asked and I nodded. She smiled and continued.

“That’s too bad this meal is excellent. She’d be enjoying herself if she were here. Did you try to wake her?”

I said I didn’t and inquired if I should have. Noel was about to answer when Erin showed up at our table. She seemed preoccupied with something which her question confirmed the look she projected.

“Where’s Lafiel? I’ve got to find her.”

I told Erin she was sleeping; the words had hardly left my lips and Erin freaked out.

“Asleep! Then she doesn’t know? Oh my, this is bad very bad indeed. We have to wake her at once if she doesn’t intervene it will be...”

Noel motioned Erin to sit down and explain herself. She sat and said the Ku Dorin had landed almost an hour ago and that Li, instead of coming to the Village, had headed directly to the island. The panic in her voice was causing those around us to take notice. Noel realized the gravity of the situation immediately and told me to order something ‘to go’ for Lafiel. She told Erin to remain here with me. Noel left the table and was out the door in record time.

I awoke to an empty room, my creunoc said it was after noon and my body said no more coffee put something solid in me. I had made my way to the pile of clothes on the end of the bed and was half dressed when Noel burst through the door.

“Great you’re awake! Finish getting dressed. I’ve ordered something to go for you. We have to go home now!”

I was still groggy. Noel wasn’t making any sense. Why did we have to leave? What was so important that she’d come busting into the room? I sat watching as she gathered up our belongings and straightened up the room. She turned saw my puzzlement and fitted the last piece.

“Lafiel, the Ku Dorin landed over an hour ago. That little fool Li went straight to the island to have it out with you. The only problem is you are here and Jinto is there. Given Jinto’s present mood are you going to sit there like a bump or get moving?”

We flew out of the room and across the square to the restaurant. Dai said she would stay with Erin. My ‘to go’ order was there Noel’s second course was there as well. We grabbed the bag and hurried to the hover car. As Noel blasted out of the Village I finally raised Sobbash on my creunoc. I informed her of what was happening and Sobbash said she would find them and separate them till we got there.

I dropped my creunoc and said.

“I hope there is something left to separate, Jinto has never been violent before but when Martine is concerned. Throw in Li being the hot head she is and there might be a scene… Noel? Can you go any faster?”

To my surprise we where almost there I hadn’t realized she taken the direct route off the beaten path and we were approaching the island from the southwest. Noel parked in front of the Residence grabbing our meals as we exited the hover car, we rounded the building. I saw Sobbash keeping Li and Jinto at bay it seemed Li still had all of the skin she had arrived with how ever Jinto bore the mark of a hand slap. Now who hit him and why was my first question. I approached him and said

“Jinto are you alright? What has happened here? Who hit you?”

Before he could say anything Li turned profile she too bore the mark of a hand slap. Then Sobbash said.

“I rounded the corner heard them arguing and as I approached Li slapped Jinto and he returned the move in kind. Had I been another ten seconds later it would have been all out warfare. You guys got here in a real hurry I wasn’t expecting you till about now.”

Sobbash smiled at Noel, she shrugged her shoulders, took my meal, and moved to Li’s position.

“Come with me, your time to finish this will have to wait. Lafiel we’ll be waiting in the war room when you’re ready.”

As Noel escorted Li away Jinto made a move to follow Lafiel placed her self between them. Pointing her left index finger at Jinto’s nose she said.

“You’ve got bigger problems than Li, Jinto. I have a message from Paveryua you better read.”

I handed Jinto an edited message; the part about the Coup I had removed. All it said was Lina was on her way here, no more, no less. Jinto read the message shook his head and headed to the garden. Once he was out of sight I showed Sobbash Paveryua’s complete message. She read it and said.

“How much of this did he read?”

I told her only the first part nothing about the changes, just that Lina was coming here. I started my way to the war room with Sobbash following me. I needed to know what Li had said to Lina and show her the complete message.

When Lafiel enter the room I knew how much of the message she had shown Jinto. She had removed the important part all Jinto knew was Lina would be here shortly. I hope Lafiel has done the right thing. She stood in front of Li, the imperial princess in her showing for all to see. Lafiel asked Sobbash for the tablet and handed it to Li.

“Read this and then tell me everything that happened on Martine. I want every little detail no matter how unimportant it might seem to you.”

Lafiel turned to Sobbash and me. She asked which one of us wanted to keep Jinto occupied? I looked at Sobbash she smiled looked back at me and said.

“You two need to be here. I’ll watch Jinto; get him over to our place and tell Risch to join us. You come over there when you’re done.”

As Sobbash was leaving I told her to tell Risch I was back and would see him very soon. She smiled and went on her way. We spent about two hours gleaning information from Li, and then finished our meals. After that I returned her to the Village.

Shortly before dark I approached Samson and Sobbash’s to the sound of laughter. I opened the door and made my way inside. I don’t think I made six steps and a very familiar arm was around my waist pulling me towards him. Abh’s are passionate but usually in private, open public displays, well I won’t say they never happen but let’s say they are highly unusual. I was experiencing one at this time and it was Sobbash’s comment that cooled the mood.

“I know you two have missed each other, Risch has made it plain since he arrived. But Saio’s sleeping and I really wouldn’t want her waking and seeing this display.”

Sobbash you are such a wet blanket yet you are correct. I whisper in Risch’s ear, he smiles and we return to the party which it seems is a planning session for Lina’s arrival. Why do I see Sobbash’s influence all over this plan? Jinto’s relaxed something I haven’t seen in quite some time. Lafiel is not her normal self either; she’s really getting into have a surprise party for a surprise visit. I just hope Lina is up to this surprise.

Noel dumped me in front of the council chamber. I entered looking for Scholar but found Erin and Dai waiting for my return. Dai said nothing as she left Erin and I alone it was Erin who started on me and didn’t stop for several hours. I thought Lafiel and Noel had been thorough in their integration, not so, Erin nit picked my entire visit and when she finished gave me the lecture I expected to hear from Scholar. The finishing blow came as I went to leave Erin, I was informed that the entire council was going to review my actions and I should be ready for any finding they chose to deliver. I didn’t sleep really well.

When Li arrived I left. I knew what Erin was going to say she had practiced on me from the time we were left alone till the time Li arrived. Although my mind hurt, I had another project I wanted to finish before I went to sleep. I arrived at where our guest was being held. I started an observation from what I though was a safe distance. It proved to be almost too far. Our confinement area was a five room building with a central facility and the holding areas. There was only one way in or out and a guard sat monitoring the holding rooms from the central location.

We only had the one guest and I choose to sit in the empty room diagonally across from our guest. The guard’s station hid me from her view. I tapped into the information system and viewed the past several hours of data. Outside of our guest getting restless every half hour or so, she seemed content to remain in her cell. I noticed no abnormal brain activity in fact on a closer look it seemed our guest felt quite at home being confined, something that peaked my curiosity. I know that she had been the subject of several interrogations and it was not my plan to converse with her. I was here to study her in a controlled setting record the biological data and then compare it with the data we had concerning the Zu’har. I figured I would need about three hours to complete my investigation. Had I known what was about to happen I’d…

Scholar’s scream sat me straight up off the cot. I pulled the door open to find a strange glow emitting from the chamber and the sound of alarms filling the room. This was not how the emergence cycle was supposed to start. When I touched Scholar I felt a slight electrical shock. My touch disturbed something that was happening between the chamber and Scholar because with in seconds Scholar collapsed to the floor. Silencing the alarms and trying to revive Scholar I almost forgot the reason all of this began with. The chamber continued a pulsating glow and after a few seconds the alarms started to sound once again. I had no choice, I needed help with my left hand I activated the general alarm.

I was finishing my data collection when the alarm sounded. I knew where it was originating from and I informed the guard to watch our guest like a hawk. Leaving my equipment in the cell I hurried to the research lab upon my arrival I found Doctor Sasoum bent over a seemingly unconscious Scholar.

“Dai, Scholar’s coming around. Watch her while I regain control of the chamber.”

Help was arriving as Scholar opened her eyes. I reached to silence the general alarm when I noticed Doctor Sasoum stood frozen at the chamber controls. I went to approach her and felt something coming from the chamber it was jumbling my reflexes. I stepped back, the feeling went away. What ever it was getting any where near the chamber controls paralyzed ones motor functions.

“Stay back.”

I said as the detail from outside entered the room. Mia entered shortly after the detail did I stopped her from approaching the Doctor. I told Mia to stand to the Doctors left and I made a rush at her from the right. I was fast enough and my momentum carried us away from the chamber controls. Although my body tingled like it had just received an electrical shock, I wasn’t feeling the effects that the Doctor was. The Doctor recovered with in a few minutes in that time Scholar was back on her feet examining the situation.

“The emergence cycle has started; it’s the force field around the console that I don’t understand. You’ll also notice the data collection system has been disabled, yet my scanner can observe what is occurring with in the chamber. Doctor, thank you, had I stood there another few moments it would have been fatal.”

Doctor Sasoum nodded and thanked me for saving her. Another few moments and she would have succumbed to the force field as well. Mia left the room with the Doctor and Scholar. The security detail kept a safe distance and I stood watching in awe as the cycle continued.

Seelnay had been very quiet since her return from space. It not only caused me to worry but the girls had caught on as well. Plakia and Dawn had spent most of the afternoon together. When Seelnay returned from delivering Arisa to the Residence Dawn abruptly left Plakia and sought out Seelnay. Plakia now sits and watches as I finish making dinner she wonders out loud.

“Mom, do you think they’ll make dinner tonight or do you think it will be a repeat of lunch time?”

Plakia’s expressed thought reflected my feelings as well. I know that Seelnay and Dawn have explored their mutually shared powers as of late. I know this because where Dawn and Plakia use to play guessing games; it had graduated to Plakia allowing Dawn to freely probe her thoughts. When I found out I confronted Seelnay she was as shocked as I was. Our discussion later with the girls lead to some ground rules being set. Seelnay apologized and promised Dawn would keep her powers in check she also told Plakia if Dawn did something she felt uncomfortable with she was to report it at once.

That was almost two months ago and since then there has been no deviations from the set rules. Seelnay’s intense training sessions with Dawn has satisfied her curiosity she no longer needs to use Plakia as a test subject. The girls play time is now quality time spent playing and no longer exploring Dawn’s powers.

I worry though Seelnay’s and my relationship has been pretty cool for sometime. I know she’s had difficulties finding another partner and I’ve tried not to be the nosy sibling per say. However, when Seelnay returned this time, she shared a lot with me, like we use to do and I felt like a wanted member of this family once again. Yet strangely I still feel something is not right with Seelnay but until it either manifests it self or she tells me I’ll remain watching but not inquiring.

“Mother what’s wrong? You’re broadcasting confusing and scary images. Mother! Mother!!”

Seelnay’s original plan was to have Dawn open her mind and explore her power. Seelnay decided to proceed first to make sure nothing was out there that would disturb anyone. Yet once her mind was opened it was attacked and she was fighting desperately to place her block back in place, she was losing her battle. Panic was setting in; Seelnay was being compromised her thoughts were rapidly becoming not of her own design. She told Dawn to get help and sent her on her way.

Mother had scared me and when she directed me to get help I headed back to the house Nasse would know what to do. I arrived and tried to communicate what was happening but fear had me tongue tied. Out of desperation I grabbed Nasse’s hands and showed her my thoughts.

Her reaction was not what I had imagined I realized she had never been communicated with like that before. Her panic I could sense it was intense I used my ability to clam her as I had with Plakia after a few moments she regained her composure and said.

“Your experiment failed? Seelnay’s injured? I don’t completely understand Dawn, please tell me again.”

I established a link and slowly showed Nasse what had happened I must have used too much effort the first time because this time I was completely understood. We left and headed for where my mother was however in the mean time she had moved on her foot prints lead towards the east.

“Girls find Scholar and tell her what’s happened I’m going to follow her foot prints just to observe I’ll not get real close. Now get going time is of the essence.”

The girls took off towards Scholar’s office and I followed Seelnay’s foot prints. Her direction of travel leads me to believe she was no longer in control of her body; it was in a straight line to the east. She cut through established paths and seem to be heading towards the main power grid. I kept following her and was hoping she would regain control but…

The sight of Dawn and Plakia running towards Scholar’s office at break neck speed brought concern from those who witnessed this event. I saw them coming towards me and decided to intercept them before any harm was done.

“Wait girls what’s the hurry?”

Dawn stopped and without a word grabbed my hand. Her telepathic ability was known to all of those on the council how ever I’d never experienced a communication like I was about to experience. I was momentary stunned once I got it sorted out I kneeled to Dawn’s level and gave her a hug.

“Come with me Scholar’s not in her office but I know where she is.”

As we made our way to the research center I ran across Mia she was very disturbed when I communicated Dawn’s message to her. She explained the current situation at research lab and suggested I keep the girls away. We headed to the council chambers once there Dawn broke down in tears. As I tried to comfort her she finally said.

“I’ve lost contact with my mother. I can no longer sense her consciousness I think she’s died.”

Plakia continued to comfort Dawn as I left the room and made contact with Mia. I explained what Dawn had just said and also made sure Mia knew Nasse was out there some where following Seelnay. I made it known, I though Nasse had unknowingly placed her self in great danger and asked that the security forces trace her movements and assure her safety.

“Erin, as our leader, I will do as you say. Now I ask one thing from you keep those girls safe.”

I promised I would and returned back to them. Mia’s request I would have granted even if she hadn’t ask me to.

Seelnay had changed directions once again she now was on a direct course to the research labs. Following the path I passed her up and beat her by a few minutes to the lab. Finding Mia I informed her Seelnay was behind me. Mia told me the girls were in the council chambers in Erin’s care and I should make haste to join them. After what I had just witnessed I didn’t have to be told twice I was off to the chambers in a flash.

Nasse had left and I caught sight of Seelnay approaching from the south. Scholar was standing behind me although I didn’t know this. I decided to approach Seelnay when her hand stopped me.

“Mia, that’s not Seelnay. It’s her physical being but what resides in her mind is not her.”

I turned to Scholar and related what Erin had communicated with me. She nodded and we decided to let the forces at play work them selves out. We returned to the lab leaving the doors open and informing the detail to stay out of sight. I found Dai and Doctor Sasoum and informed them of what was coming. We stayed out of sight and waited we didn’t have to wait long.

As Seelnay entered the room, the force field around the chamber dropped, and the emergence cycle finished. The chamber opened and Seelnay faced a lifeless being or so we thought. Raising her hand and placing it on the fore head of the life form another force field was established. Although the lab sensors were rendered useless my hand scanner recorded the event. Scholar and Doctor Sasoum had come out of hiding and stood on either side of the chamber their scanners recording the event as well.

The field began to resonate; the strange frequency started as a low hum then modulated through the entire hearing range and beyond. Seelnay stood motionless her hand firmly connected to the life forms frontal lobes. I was noticing brain wave activity from with in the chamber when Seelnay started to speak.

“I… I… I am… I… I… I am Seel… I AM SEELNAY!”

With that the field collapsed as did Seelnay, Doctor Sasoum moved to tend to her as Scholar and I watched the chamber. With no warning the life form sat up in the chamber opened her eyes scanned the area and said.

“I am Tay. Who are you?”

To be continued in: Wandering Souls

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."