30_Wandering Souls

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

30_Wandering Souls

Post by Diaho »

Wandering Souls

We had finished our evening planning session and were getting ready to leave Samson and Sobbash’s when Dai’s message arrived. There was a disturbance at the research labs and nothing more was said. At first I was not going to reply to the message that’s when the area sensor grid went off, a massive energy discharge had occurred. The grid pinpointed its location as, the research labs. Exhausted as we all were I went to the Residence and raided the arms locker. Minutes later four of us were off to the Village. Samson and Sobbash stayed behind

Tay’s inquiry went unchallenged as she stood before us. I noticed the goose bumps beginning to appear on her forearms. Instinctively I grabbed a sheet and proceeded to drape it across her shoulders. There was no response from her just an attempt to raise an arm; it met with limited success. Seelnay was starting to come around Scholar and Doctor Sasoum were beside her tending to her needs. The security detail stood behind me their comments brought an abrupt turn in their direction from me with the statement of; “Don’t tell me you’ve never seen anybody naked before?”

Seelnay rose to her feet and approached Tay. She stopped about two meters from her position. Raising her hands before her she tried to establish a mental link between her self and Tay. It was violently rejected and Seelnay wound up on the floor once again. Dusting her self off she stood again, this time she tried verbal communications. Tay responded, well sort of, her sentences were disorganized and disjoined. While Seelnay continued trying to communicate with Tay, I heard a commotion from outside. Exiting the building I found Lafiel and party ready to make an assault on the lab. I managed to stop them before they could get started.

“I told you everything was alright why did you come? “

Lafiel showed me the sensor log and yes what they saw gave them enough concern to come charging over here. I explained briefly what had occurred. It was Noel’s comment that brought a terse response from me.

“Yes Noel it’s alive, in fact at the moment Seelnay’s trying to communicate with it.”

I was ready for the next salvo from Noel when my creunoc went off; it was from the detention center. The guard said I should make haste in returning. Explaining my next action brought Lafiel and group with me. We arrived at the center and found the cause of the commotion. The messengers the Wise Ones had assigned to the Village were standing in front of our prisoner’s cell. What can only be explained as an intense mental interrogation was occurring in the cell. The messengers were acting as conduits channeling the Wise Ones thoughts into our prisoner.

Lafiel pointed a laser rifle at them and said.

“Stop this at once or die. You have five seconds.”

The interrogation ceased one of the messengers with a scowl on her face said.

“You’ve created a life form that is dangerous to everyone on this world. This one knows details concerning the event. Be it known we are not finished with our interrogation. We will be back.”

As the messengers were leaving Lafiel followed them outside, she took her thumb and slid the power level of the rifle to its maximum setting. Aiming in front of them she caused a large section of the ground to disappear. After discharging the rifle she said.

“Come back here uninvited again and that’s the hole I’ll bury you in. Send that message to your masters and inform them once again they are in violation of our agreement.”

The messengers turned around to face Lafiel what they saw was the business end of a laser rifle pointed at them and the person at the other end was not in the mood for any further conversation. She had said her peace and if they valued their lives they would turn around and continue away from the detention center.

They continued walking away from Lafiel, the laser rifle following them till they were out of sight. Lafiel lower the rifle and its settings she instructed the guard to up the security level around the center and she ordered reinforcements to the complex.

“Dai answer me one question. How did this get started in the first place? I know the emergence was about to happen but, these monitoring devices your presence here…”

Lafiel’s exhaustion was getting to her she stopped thinking and stood staring. I tried to explain but she was no longer receptive. Jinto moved to her side and said.

“I think we should go home now, after you get some rest you can tackle this project again? Come Lafiel the hover cars over in the next clearing then it’ll be a few minutes and you’ll be home in your own bed.”

Lafiel gave in and as Risch and Jinto helped her to the hover car Noel had a few last thoughts for me.

“I understand what you were doing and how everything ended up as it has. When Lafiel’s rested I’ll explain to her what has happened by then I hope you will have some results to show her or in your haste did you forget to hit the record button?”

Noel reminds me of my first training officer. I’ll loathe that woman till the day I die. Without a doubt Noel’s about as annoying as she was but in this case Noel is my equal. I understand her lack of tact at times and I told her I did manage to hit all the right buttons. My words were received and noted but not responded to, Noel just smiled that smile of hers and walked off. Half of me wished for a bucket of ice water to douse her with the other half knew that although it would be a momentary pleasure Noel would get even and in a way I dread to think about.

Log entry: The Sord that leads to Shahrazad lies four hours from or present position. Our passenger has spent the past twelve hours roaming this ship. There is a sense of apprehension in her being an almost foreboding with I can not explain completely. She just left the bridge after asking for the fifth time how soon we would arrive. I explained that we were traveling at our maximum speed and six hours to orbit is still the amount of time we’ll need. She smiled as before and went on her way. I don’t want to be the Count of Hyde when she arrives because something has happened since we picked her up something that now places an extreme amount of urgency upon her arrival at Shahrazad.

For an hour Seelnay tried to communicate with Tay. I won’t say it was wasted time because I sensed from Tay she was trying very hard to understand what Seelnay communicated to her. This creature defies all logic; born a few hours ago she now lies sleeping on a cot next to the chamber covered with a sheet. Seelnay sits in a chair one meter from her feet. Doctor Sasoum and I are sorting through the data we gathered while Tay was emerging. Because it was taken from several stand alone sources the computer needs to take it all and index it to a constant stream then analyze it before it will make any sense to us.

Mia has returned to the hospital she gave us a quick scan and was satisfied we suffered no lasting effects from Tay’s birth. I have no regrets; the decision to allow this being to develop was the correct one. I can sense a wealth of knowledge however I’m at a loss as to how she came to have it. There is something else the Doctor and I have noticed. Tay is still developing physically. We’ve noticed an increase in height she was about one hundred fifty centimeters at emergence the latest scan shows that number to be almost one hundred sixty centimeters. Her weight is stabilizing as well, arriving at sixty kilograms; she’s now about fifty-four kilograms. I’m going to assume that she’ll end up tall and slender almost resembling some of my people but there is a uniqueness about her that words can’t describe. You would have to be here to understand. Even sleeping she emits an aura almost a glow, it’s quite fascinating.

Noel sat the hover car between our living quarters, this time she managed to miss the gardens and still found a level spot. I helped Lafiel to the Residence, once inside she spied the sofa and was out like a light. I checked the communications room and found a message from the high speed shuttle. Lina would be here in about six hours. I informed Noel of that fact and fell asleep in my office chair. I think I slept it was very hard to tell though.

The urgency of the moment over, I took the girls from the council chambers and headed home. They both walked sleepily across the square and were fast asleep once they found their beds. Plakia and Dawn seemed unmoved by the evening’s events yet I know Dawn saw something Seelnay displayed although she said she was over it I knew better.

I decided to sleep on the sofa that way if Seelnay came home I’d know it. These years on Shahrazad have done one thing to me they’ve made me a very light sleeper. It is almost nine and the girls are awake Seelnay has not come home well not yet.

Jinto slept restlessly I heard him up and wondering about several times. It was just after sunrise and I quietly made my way to where Arisa was. We continued the conversation we had on the Hyde fuel depot. I’m convinced she originally had no knowledge of what she was transporting, however on the second and I now find out third trips she knew something was wrong and failed to report it. I told her we were not finished with this conversation but I also told her to take in the island and relax.

Arisa expressed concerns about confronting Jinto and I told her that Jinto would remain in the background that she need not fear him. I could sense her relief I also added in what had happened last night and staying clear of Seelnay would be an excellent idea. As I left I told her breakfast would be at nine sharp. She nodded and said she would be there.

I left Arisa and headed to the rose garden, admiring the latest blooms I saw Noel heading towards the docks. It was then I realized Lina would be here in less than three hours and the next crisis will begin. I figured when Jinto found out not only would he be angry but this time I stood in an indefensible position. I had withheld information from Jinto and I expected to incur his wrath over it. The smell of the flowers was calming but I also knew this calm was going to be short lived.

I left the garden and stopped by Sobbash’s I figured I’d better tell her my thoughts incase Jinto did something unexpected this time. Her response was predictable, she hoped calmer heads would prevail and said she would wear a side arm if I thought it was necessary. Sobbash’s answer to conflicts lately has been comfort in a loaded laser pistol. Actually it’s not a bad idea if we were dealing with a formidable enemy, but not our loved ones though.

“I understand Kufadis once I’ve made the pickup I’ll relay Spoor’s message to Lafiel. You should have an answer sometime today.”

The link closed and I took a deep breath. I wasn’t out of the atmosphere when the depot link activated. Some how I knew it would happen and I had an answer planned, however Kufadis question was nothing along the lines of what I was expecting. He caught me off guard and well, I lied to him. I would deliver Spoors message but not as quickly as I had promised.

I’m about to pick up, for lack of better words, Jinto’s mother although not his biological parent she has been there for him most of his life. I must remember to be cautious with my conversation, I’m pretty sure I know more about what is happening on Martine than she does and I won’t let the cat out of the bag so to say. The high-speed shuttle is on my display we are about forty minutes from rendezvous and transfer. Kufadis rattled me I have to get calm again before I pick up Lina. I take another deep breath and slowly let it out. My brain’s buzzing and my heart’s pounding. I’ll be alright, well I hope I will. No, I have to be.

I left Jinto a note that I would be in the Village but I would be back for breakfast and before Lina arrived. That was my plan when I left, I only had one thing I hadn’t accomplished and I had to be by myself to complete this task. Arriving at the hospital I found Mia and she showed me to her room. I found her sitting in a wheel chair facing the window. She sensed my arrival unlocked the wheels turned and faced me.

“Well this is unexpected. I’m assuming you came to see for yourself? Well I’ll not disappoint, as you can see I’m pretty well bound to this chair for the time being. So did you come to gloat or did Painiach send you to…”

I knew her words would be like this so I tried to contain my feelings. Her speech stopped as I moved towards the chair. Asking Mia if it was alright to take her for a walk we did just that. Funny thing she didn’t object, I figured she’d raise a royal stink about it but she seems content with me pushing her toward the square. I found a quiet area with a bench I placed her facing me and sat down.

“I did not come to gloat or express pity; I came to express my thanks for saving the ship and its crew. I’m also here as governor of this world to bid you welcome and ask if there is anything we can do for you?”

I had caught her off guard. My words brought a somber look from her. I don’t know what she thought I was going to say, or what nonsense Painiach might have planted in her head. But what happened between us was over twenty years ago, although neither one of us have forgotten the incident, bringing up the past serves no useful purpose.

“Lafiel, I… I’m… sorry… I don’t understand. I almost left you the cripple I am today and you hold no malice towards me? I don’t get it, had our positions been reversed I would have spent my life trying to get even…”

I reached for her hands. For a split second she was thinking of pulling away, yet she accepted my offer. Her hands were cold and I could feel the trembling with in her being. I leaned forward, placing my arms about her as best I could; I gave her a reassuring hug and told her everything was going to be alright. She motioned that I should return her to the hospital. I pushed her slowly back not saying another word I watched as she tried to regain her composure.

I think I had succeeded with my visit I wanted her to know the past was the past and what she did even though it didn’t erase that past it will make it easier for the both of us to live on this world without further strife. I wheeled her into her room and left her where I found her. On my way out I found Mia and asked for a progress report. She said within the next week she was going to try to finish the surgery from before. Her hopes were to give her back about eighty percent of her pre injury movement. Mia also made this statement too.

“Lafiel there was a lot of damage done even if we are successful she’ll always be at risk. Any blow to that cervical area and the repair might fail with death being a very possible outcome.”

I understood completely, being one of those exposed to Mia’s experimental treatments. I for the most part have been very lucky the repairs have held and the bone is regenerating. I had no cervical injury that seems to be one area Mai’s treatment is not one hundred percent successful at. Noting the time I took leave of Mia and returned to the Residence.

I rode home with my helmet on the seat, there was one more thing I had done while I was in the Village my hair has returned to its normal color. Lina was going to see me as I am not as the rest of the universe wished me to be. A slow ride home with my hair drying as I went along it was wonderful. I was almost there when I heard Noel making the overhead maneuver that meant I’d be on the island about ten minutes before they arrived. Excellent timing in my book I hoped Jinto would feel the same way.

I’d seen Lafiel leaving the hairdresser and almost stopped her; that’s when I noticed she had another objective to accomplish while in the Village. I watched as she went into the hospital then about five minutes later left with someone in a wheel chair. They went to the square, spent about ten minutes there, and then Lafiel wheeled her back to the hospital. It was then she exited the building hopped on her hover cycle and left in a determined fashion her hair flowing behind her. As she left I figured out why she was here, I realized who the person in the chair was and I was glad Lafiel had faced that part of her past seemingly without incident.

I had the data compiled from last night. I’d also seen a very weary Seelnay shuffle towards her quarters about a half hour earlier. I decided to visit the research lab share my data with Scholar and see how our newest member of the population was doing. This day was going to be of great interest to everyone if what I’ve collected proves to be correct.

“Commander Lexshu; if you are looking for Scholar she just left. She said she’d be back shortly though if you wish to wait.” The squad commander said.

That wasn’t what I had expected; Scholar gone, Doctor Sasoum completely involved in compiling the data from last night and Tay still sleeping. Placing my findings on a workstation I volunteered to help the Doctor with her work, it was readily accepted. As I examined the data I noticed Tay’s physical development and saw comparisons to my own research.

I returned to the workstation picked up my data and handed it to the Doctor. At first she gave it a cursory glance then she hit upon the data that almost reflected what she was viewing. Lowering the folder she stood looking at Tay, then me and finally the folder.

“Scholar’s at Seelnay’s take your folder to her at once. Part of what she’s looking for is contained in there. Hurry, Scholar’s about to probe Seelnay’s mind she should see the contents before she starts.”

I was gone in an instant. My only thoughts were why probe Seelnay’s mind? Then it all made sense I doubled my effort getting there.

Mommy returned not long ago I greeted her and helped her to her room. I sat at the end of the bed until she was asleep. Leaving her I returned to where Nasse and Plakia were. I was surprised to find Scholar had arrived in the time I was in with my mother. Scholar started a conversation with me about what I had seen last night. I tried my best to verbally communicate what I had sensed from my mother but what I saw I could not put into words.

I extended my hands, closed my eyes, and opened my mind. Scholar took my hands and I felt her standing beside me observing what I had seen. Letting Scholar see what I had saw was the most comforting thing I had felt lately. After we disconnected it seemed those images were gone, or at least they didn’t occupy my waking thoughts like they had before. Suddenly I was very sleepy, Plakia helped me to my room I don’t remember lying down or anything else.

When Plakia returned to the room, she expressed her concern about how soundly Dawn was sleeping. Scholar told us she had removed those memories from Dawn and placed her in a deep sleep so she might communicate with Seelnay.

“I might invoke such a reaction from Seelnay that I don’t want the child to experience what I believe her mother knows. Since Plakia has had contact with Dawn and could be receptive to Seelnay when she realizes Dawn isn’t. I want the two of you clear of the area. Understand?”

I understood completely living with Seelnay I have, from time to time, been on the receiving end of some of her emotional events. If Scholar planned to probe her mind, which is what I am assuming even though she didn’t use those words, I want Plakia and me to be clear of the area too.

We opened the front door to leave and saw Dai sprinting towards the house. Scholar met her on the front porch Dai handed her a folder she stepped into the yard moving so the sun illuminated the pages and read it.

“Since you’re here I’ll assume Sasoum has seen this as well.”

I explained my visit and why I was here Scholar stopped me mid sentence. She turned to Nasse and Plakia and said.

“It’s as I thought. I can explain Seelnay’s actions since we returned from her home world, but right now I need to finish what has been left undone. If you’ll excuse me and I must ask you leave the area at once.”

Scholar entered the house and closed the door Nasse and Plakia took my hands they almost dragged me away from the area.

“Dai come with us there is nothing you can do here abide by Scholar’s wishes please.”

I had no choice I went with them, we found a reflection area close to the house and waited for Scholar to get us. Reflection areas were designed into the original Village plan. They are as the name implies a place where one can come and relax in a natural surround reflecting on either their problems or just relaxing reflecting on the day.

An hour passed and Scholar came into view. She was showing signs of quite an ordeal. She sat next to Nasse and said.

“While we were on Seelnay’s home world we experienced a presence. It drove me from the cave I had to drag Seelnay away with me. We stopped sensing it when the control console was disconnected. I figured it was coming from there and by pulling the plug it was no longer, but I was wrong. I stopped Seelnay from lowering her defenses once but she did right before we disconnected the console.”

Scholar stopped, looked around her, gathered her thoughts and continued.

“Tay was stored in the device; she managed at the last moment to transfer to Seelnay. Our cloning a body for Tay and everything we’ve done since we returned has been by design. Tay through Seelnay was gently influencing our minds.”

Scholar looked skyward took in the beauty of the day and said.

“Seelnay’s had her burden removed she’ll not be waking for quite some time Dawn is sleeping peacefully as well. My only problem is the data Dai gave me how did our prisoner know? What is her connection to all of this and how are the Wise Ones involved? I believe Tay is the key but why? I’m going back to the lab, Dai accompany me if you will and Nasse should anything happen activate this device.”

Scholar handed Nasse a summoner, the device every council member keeps at hand, the universal call in device Erin called it. Nasse has a transmitter set to Scholars personal unit, activating it would tell Scholar something was wrong. Nasse placed the device around her neck then she and Plakia headed back to the house.

Scholar and I returned to the lab where the rest of Scholar’s encounter was related to the Doctor and me. Scholar finished and Doctor Sasoum handed her the complied data.

“Probing Seelnay was risky but with what you’ve found out along with these results, several things have become quite clear don’t you think?”

I watched as Scholar read the data Doctor Sasoum’s words were still echoing when Scholar lower the data pad and looked at Tay laying in the other room.

“I need to sort through this. What is Tay’s present status?”

Doctor Sasoum said she was isolated from the community. The force field was holding and she seemed to be in another development cycle. There was brain activity but not the amount there was when Seelnay was present. Scholar ask us to monitor Tay, she entered the room and placed her hand near the force field. There was a spike in brain activity that disappeared when Scholar left the room. Doctor Sasoum scanner in hand approached Scholar. One fast pass was made and the Doctor said.

“So you have the last piece of the puzzle. You took it from Seelnay didn’t you?”

Scholar smiled, she asked me to accompany her to our prisoner’s location. As we left I caught the Doctor reviewing her scanner I’ll bet there was more in that fast pass than she told us.

Lafiel had told me of the time she picked up Jinto and took him to the Gosroth how he was intrigued with seeing the outside as we Abh did. I decided to try the same thing with Lina. Sitting her next to me I told her she was going to get the scenic view. When I transferred what I saw to the ships view, she sat quietly taking in everything. Our trip back was enjoyable I made a wide approach placing the moons between the sun and our position. I waited till Shahrazad came out of the shadows.

Seeing the planet brought tears to Lina’s eyes. It was at that time I noticed the package she was clutching. The diplomatic seal had been tampered with. I’ll assume she has seen the contents. I notify Lafiel of my observation she acknowledged the transmission and said nothing else. We landed without further incident I escorted Lina to the garden where Jinto was waiting and I waited for Lafiel to arrive.

Lina caught sight of Jinto and was standing along side him before I could say anything. They exchanged greetings then Lina took several steps back, tore open the pouch, removed a document from it and read it aloud. I managed to have my creunoc set to translate Martinese; the contents sent a shiver down my spine.

“Count of Hyde Jinto Lynn, I Lina Clint, the last remaining member of the duly elected government of the planet Martine here by beseeches you to intervene in the planetary affairs and drive the invaders from our world.”

Lina paused; I sensed a disaster in the making and moved to her side. As I feared the moment overcame her and she collapsed as I steadied her, it was then I saw Lafiel on the opposite end of the path rush in Jinto’s direction. Jinto stood motionless I could see his face the color was slowly draining from it. Lafiel made it to his side as his footing became unsure. We managed to get them to the bench and sat down before anything else happened.

The pouch lay on the ground. Lafiel picked it and the document Lina was reading from she studied them carefully. Jinto motioned Lafiel to his side but she refused until she had finished her review. Keeping the pouch and documents in her possession she knelt in front of Lina. Addressing her in her best Martinese Lafiel said.

“I welcome you to Shahrazad. As governor I grant you asylum and pledge all of our resources in reclaiming Martine from those who took it from you.”

She handed the pouch and documents to Jinto. He was in shock, Lafiel had just granted Lina asylum and declared war on those who took over Martine without consulting him. What was in those papers she read? His mind still numb he tried to read them but the emotion overcame him; he never got past the declaration page. The page Lina tried to read, which after the plea for assistance described the over throw of the current government and most likely the death of all those connected to it. Jinto slumped forward Lafiel caught him before he hit the ground she steadied him it was then the reinforcements I summoned arrived.

Sobbash took Jinto from Lafiel and Risch sat with Lina and I. Lafiel took the documents from Jinto and read them in Abh to the rest of us.

Six months ago the insurgency took a turn no one in the government anticipated. They systematically took over the outer provinces and made their way towards the Capital. They used everything that was going wrong against the current government, promising a return to self rule and ousting all Abh rule. They took over the government shortly after the Independence left Martine.

The material Arisa delivered was only a very small part of their master plan. An alliance with the former UMK rebels was made; troops and materials were smuggled in at the same time Arisa disabled the sensor array. She did that to cover her trip not knowing she was going to be the scapegoat for a much larger event. As we listened it all started to make sense our reception on Martine the flash dash and gone from the general populace.

Lafiel finished reading the page she was on. Moving to the next page she stopped handed them to Jinto and said from there on it was for his eyes only and she would respect that. Lina sat between Risch and I shivering and repeating one word the whole time Lafiel was reading. “Teel”.

The general alarm sounded as I received the message from Shahrazad reading it brought everything into focus. Here I was in the middle of another war this time the boy’s planet was involved. I gathered my staff and informed them that we were on alert until help arrived and as far as was known Martine didn’t know what we knew, yet. Not a warship in range that was good and bad. The Hyde fuel depot was capable of repelling a substantial attack but… I hope everything remained peaceful till we were in a better position.

The message sat on my screen I had read it twice and still didn’t believe it. How did the former UMK rebels get past our listening outpost and into the Hyde system undetected? I asked my aide to come in the office.

“Ariel I want you to find Ramaj. I want it done with no attention attracted to you or her, but I need her here as soon as possible do you understand me?”

“Yes mother I understand I’ll be back before you know it.”

Ariel left the room; only yesterday she was chasing butterflies… She has grown into womanhood, joined the Star Forces against my wishes and is assigned to the intelligence section. I took her as my aide and kept her from harm. After her father’s death and the mess surrounding who he really was I had Ariel surgically alter, she’s had her ears bobbed. Disowned by the ruling family had she kept those ears she would have been an outcast. It was not her choice who her parents were. We were all fooled but those in the council deemed her unworthy of any status. Fine, to hell with them, I altered her looks and changed her name. She’s my daughter and I love her dearly. As far as that stuffy bunch of … never mind I’ll burst a vessel if I continue to think about them.

Finding Ramaj wasn’t a problem I knew where she was; getting her away without my presence being noticed was going to be the challenge. The newest squadron was being commissioned, under normal circumstances this would not require her presence, but this was the named family squadron she had to be here period. I formulated a plan to get her away, once out of view I’d deliver mother’s message.

A bumped elbow, a spilled drink and Ramaj was heading for the ladies room to clean up. I was waiting for her to arrive. Delivering my message and getting scolded for being so sneaky I returned to my mother. Ramaj arrived about ten minutes later.

“Kenesh this better be important sending Ariel to get me better mean it’s something you couldn’t communicate by normal means.”

I turned the display towards Ramaj, reading the message from Lafiel she discontinued the tirade she was getting set to deliver. Her face sobered her eyes followed the words over and over. Convinced that this was not a very bad dream she asked what forces were in the area.

My answer was not much. The closest force was the Light Snow Fleet at the edge of the Deltoke system. Debeusec had a crippled fleet and Duhiel had six squadrons along with a minimum amount of training vessels; they were suitable as a guard detail but not a suitable fighting force. Thanks to the Zu’har attack the majority of the fleet was in the far reaches of the Empire guarding the outer ring Sords from another sneak attack. It would take several weeks to move substantial forces into the area.

“I doubt Lafiel will wait more than a few days before she takes action. She has Spoor’s fleet and that ship we saw earlier. Ramaj we can’t help her this time she’s going to be on her own as far as we are concerned.”

Ramaj studied the fleet dispersal map. There was nothing except what I mention in the area for several sectors. She sat at the desk took pen to paper and composed a multi-page response to Lafiel message. When she finished she call Ariel to the room. Handing the message to her she said.

“I’m reassigning you to Shahrazad you shall deliver this message and become a liaison officer to that world.”

I started to voice my displeasure and Ramaj stopped me.

“Ariel you’re next generation Abh. You’ve met Lafiel only once yet you are very like her. I ask that you deliver my message to her and asses the situation. Do not spy on Lafiel, do not go behind her back, tell her you’re my personal representative and I’ve instructed you to work with her from now on. You’ll report to Kenesh not to me is that understood?”

Ariel accepted Ramaj’s request I added my only condition to this assignment.

“Ariel you will refrain from combat assignments. Should you have no choice and your life depends on it fight you will, but you will not volunteer to join Lafiel’s private army. You’re assigned to the planet as an observer is that clear?”

Ramaj was not happy with my words however she did not overrule me either. Ariel accepted her assignment. She drew a shuttle from the depot and was on her way by evening. She would arrive in six hours. I wondered what she would find.

I hadn’t expected silence for the Capital but here it was almost ten hours since my message was transmitted and nothing. I wondered if Ramaj and Kenesh had seen it? I know it arrived my personal mail system replied that it had arrived. So what’s the deal? Unless I’m on my own again but a simple message would have… I wondered if there were problems I didn’t know about. At the moment I couldn’t worry about it.

Jinto and Lina were going over Teel’s message; they had retreated to the class room off the main hall. I left breakfast for them at the door. Jinto knows I withheld information from him and he accepted those facts. One thing went as had I hoped, the two of them finding out together was better than Jinto knowing and waiting for Lina to tell him. My decision not to tell him was sound but I’ll never do anything like that again. The past several days have been almost intolerable they make Lobnas seem like a picnic.

Scholar’s conversation left our ’guest’ very drained. It was decided that a trip to the north was in order. Scholar was convinced that most of the Zu’har threat was a rouse devised by the Guardians to retrieve Tay. The reason behind these actions still eluded Scholar and I but we were certain that the Wise Ones held the key to this mystery. Lafiel needed to know this but we also understood by now she had her hands full. The decision to tell her was put off till the next morning.

I hate going to the hairdresser the chemical she uses leaves my skin and scalp itchy. It was after lunch and I decided to take a shower. I had no more exited and dried off when this blood curdling scream came from the extension. Grabbing a robe I darted towards the classrooms. Lina was standing over Jinto who was collapsed on the floor. His alpha lay at his side and his sense organ was extremely inflamed. I knelt next to Jinto rolled his head gently so I could examine the sense organ. Lina got one look at me and let out another scream to rival the first one. I realize she had never seen or studied Abh physiology.

I had no alpha, no translator, nothing but a robe on me. I took Lina’s hands held them firmly and tried to explain what was happening but my Martinese failed me miserably. However she managed to finally understand me. I left her standing staring as I moved Jinto to the sofa in the room. I had assumed correctly, Jinto had with held one important fact from Lina over the years, his modification to Abh. In her position I would have screamed as well.

My next move was to the console in the room I was going to summon help however Lina’s screams had everyone on the island looking for the source. Arisa and Noel arrived first followed by Samson Sobbash and Risch. Arisa spoke Abh and Martinese. She explained to Lina what was going on.

Jinto was laboring to breath; his body temperature was very high. I opened his eyes his pupils were dilated. I was reminded of the first trip to this world his condition then. I told Samson and Risch to get the hover car and get him to Doctor Sasoum. Arisa sat Lina down then she and Sobbash went after a stretcher. I noticed Noel was missing and was about to go looking for her when she appeared holding my clothes, shoes, creunoc, and alpha.

“I know that’s real comfortable but in the Village you’d be frowned upon dressed like that.”

My mid thigh robe would not be acceptable wearing apparel in the Village. I stepped into another room and changed to fit the occasion however Noel grabbed the first things she saw one of them was the blouse that had chemical from the hairdresser on it so I was going to be itchy and stinky I really didn’t care. As I exited I called Mia and informed her Jinto was on his way to the hospital explained his condition and told her to inform Doctor Sasoum. Jinto went in the first hover car with Samson and Risch. Sobbash followed with Noel, Lina and Arisa. I walked back to my room changed my blouse, grabbed my gloves and helmet and caught them as they were arriving at the hospital.

The look on Lina’s face when I dismounted from the hover cycle was priceless. Her mental picture of me was obviously shattered this afternoon it’s okay though my perceptions of her were about to change as well. Jinto was admitted at once. We made our way to the waiting area it was there the explanation of Jinto’s present appearance started.

Arisa translated as I explained from Jinto’s meeting on Martine to reclaim the territory forward. How I was surprised as well when the modified him. Leaving out a lot of information I felt had no bearing on the present conversation I briefly explained that Jinto wasn’t one hundred percent Abh but he benefited from the abilities most Abh’s have including an extended life span. Lina took in the information and asked only one question. Arisa had her repeat it twice to make sure she understood it. Clearing her throat translating it in a monotone Arisa said.

“Lafiel her concern is what will your offspring look like? Will they have blue hair and an ugly forehead?”

You could have heard a pin drop in the room. Jinto warned me there would be comments like those. It was one of the reasons we never spent much time with his class mates. I hurt, hurt badly. Those words; I couldn’t accept that was her only concern, it didn’t matter if Jinto lived or died just what would our children look like. I felt the tears fall across my cheek. I stood said nothing and left the room Noel following me.

“The nerve of that woman I’m going back in and give her a piece of my mind!”

I had Noel’s hand before she could take another step. I informed her she will stay out of this matter it’s my battle I’ll be the one to make any moves. I made her swear to keep her sharp tongue to herself. Noel relented then mentioned that Sobbash was still in there and being worried about her was only half the problem.

On my feet and heading back inside I met Sobbash coming out the door she said nothing her look told me she tried to have a discussion with Lina and had failed. She mentioned something about a side arm as she walked past me. It was time to fix this problem before I had a full scale war on my hands. I was to the waiting room when Doctor Sasoum found me.

“That was close; another couple of hours and you would have lost him. Lafiel the stress is killing him, it has to cease.”

Stress that was the cause last time and tissue rejection, I wondered if Jinto had been taking his medicine. I asked the doctor if his levels had been checked. She informed me it seems that Jinto hadn’t taken medicine for quite sometime that was part of his condition the other part was stress and exhaustion.

“You picked up a relative of his recently am I correct?”

I explained Lina as best I could Doctor Sasoum took my explanation put it with what she had seen in Jinto and said.

“She in part is responsible for what has happened. I suggest she gets an education on the Abh or you put her on a ship and send her back to where she came from.”

That couldn’t happen I told the doctor the whole story when I finished she shook her head from side to side. As she walked off she mentioned we’d taken in another stray, another wondering soul. Well in her opinion this one needed some manners then if we were going to keep it here. Noel watched as her mother walked away muttered something about hating when she had to agree with her and followed me into the waiting room.

Lina and Arisa were the only one’s left. I told them Jinto’s condition and that he was going to be here for a few days. Lina seemed annoyed with the fact she was going to return to the island without Jinto. Yet she didn’t put up a fuss either she left and rode back with Sobbash, Noel and Arisa. It was getting dark Samson and Risch loaded my cycle in the car and we followed Sobbash back to the island. We had dinner I put Lina in the same wing with Arisa and went to the garden as the sunset.

Jinto’s out of commission, Lina’s proving to more of a challenge than I can handle by myself, then there’s the Zu’har, Tay, Seelnay and Martine. I wondered what else could happen. If Jinto had been here he would have told me that was a bad idea. I started to return to the Residence about half way there my creunoc flashed an arrival notice and a request for landing instructions. It was from a shuttle the pilot was Ariel Kenesh. I looked skyward Jinto’s words rang in my ears.

“Be careful of what you wish for Lafiel. Normally it comes true in the most unusual ways.”

Ariel was here. Why was she here? It’s been almost eleven years since I last saw her and now out of the blue she arrives what now? I clasp my hands across my face. I didn’t say that, didn’t think that. I’ll just give her landing instructions and see what she has to say for herself.

“Sobbash do you know both of your parents?”

I was finishing the dishes. Noel sat at the table drinking coffee, she was still disturbed about what Lina had said to Lafiel, and to be honest she wasn’t the only one thinking disturbing thoughts concerning Lina.

“I know my mother very well; my father was lost in an accident when I was six. You’re getting at something Noel don’t go in circles with me just say it.”

Drying my hands and turning towards Noel I find her staring at the coffee cup watching her reflection in the jet black liquid. She swirls the cup the coffee almost spills from the cup she sets it down stares out the window and continues.

“I don’t have any idea who my father is or was. There are times I could strangle my mother and feel absolutely no remorse. On the whole I’d say Sasoum can’t compare to Lina. In my personal opinion that woman is evil. Lafiel should send her packing. I’d be happy to deliver her any where in the galaxy just so long it wasn’t close to here.”

The sound of a shuttle on approach halted my answer. We weren’t expecting visitors but that approach had to be given they are not standard knowledge nor are they in any data banks. I called Lafiel she was aware of our visitor and invited us to join her at the Residence in about fifteen minutes. She said we all might as well find out together. This didn’t sound good at all Noel had her curiosity switch activated finishing her coffee we left as the splash down occurred. Nothing wrong with being a little early I always say.

Jinto's arrival at the hospital was front page news. The entire Village knew with in an hour. Scholar and I were getting ready to go to the Residence and inform Lafiel of our intention to visit the Wise Ones in the morning. Finding out Jinto was here did not change our plans it was what Doctor Sasoum said not only about Jinto’s condition but about his ‘mother’ that almost curtailed our trip.

“Dai if we were to go on without informing Lafiel how angry would she get?”

Scholar already knew the answer to the question as did I. Lafiel would be livid, especially when she found out the reason behind our trip. I along with Scholar have to live on this world. Trying to live with an angry Lafiel is not a promising prospect.

“Rather go for a walk in space without a spacesuit before I’d cross any member of that family.”

“KA BOOM!” The shuttle’s overhead sonic boom was not a welcome noise. I watched as it made its way towards the island. None of us were flying that craft; its approach was too low and too fast for the norms set when we established that approach.

“We’ve got visitors; surprise ones I’ll imagine. We better go to the Residence some how I get the feeling my creunoc’s going to chime shortly.”

With dark approaching we took the heavy hover sled this one had lights and a protective cage. Dark meant hazards along our way especially since the shuttles approach has probably spooked most of the animals that roam the area in the twilight. We arrived at the Residence just after sunset my creunoc blinking a message in red. We parked the sled on the dock and made our way up the hill to the gardens. From the gardens we could hear voices. Lafiel’s was discernible at this distance she didn’t sound very happy.

Noel and I were sitting at the table waiting for Lafiel to arrive from the garden we could hear voices approaching us one of them was Lafiel’s the other it had a familiar ring to it but I couldn’t place it. Once they cleared the garden we got our first good look at our visitor; an imperial aide uniform that walk, her face, those eyes, that nose, it couldn’t be but it was.

“Well cadet you’ve come far in life I see.”

A shocked look came over her then instinctively she saluted and addressed us as if we were on ship.

“Admiral Sobbash, Captain Ekuryua I didn’t recognize you out of uniform, my apologies.”

Ariel learned lesson one of this world there are no ranks, no saluting, no uniforms, just respect for one’s elders.

“Ariel its Sobbash, very simple to remember, Noel here answers to her first or last name. Although I’d suggest the last name till you two know each other better.”

Noel sighed mumbled something about Ariel being just off training wheels and sat down. I sat next to her we were just getting comfortable, when Ariel delivered the bombshell she had in her courier pouch. Lafiel read the letter a couple of times she folded it in half and tucked into her tunic top. As she was inserting it I noticed it was on royal letterhead Ramaj herself had written that letter. Now I knew this was going to be an unpleasant affair.

“Welcome our liaison to the Capital I’ll not make the formal introduction until Dai arrives. I wonder why she’s not answered her creunoc. She’s probably off somewhere with Scholar getting into mischief.”

We decided that was our cue to make our presence known, exiting from the garden and on to the path that leads to where they were standing Scholar and I wandered aimlessly towards them. Scholar started speaking as we approached them.

“Mischief, Dai are we being mischievous? Or are we just being prompt?”

As I moved from behind Scholar a familiar voice addressed me in a way I’d not been addressed in years.

“Instructor how nice to see you again it’s been almost three years.”

Oh my. My prize student stood before me wearing an imperial aide’s uniform. How, why was she here, who was she an aide for? So many things I wanted to know and Lafiel was about to answer all of my questions and more.

“Ariel is our liaison officer she is to observe and advise; at least that’s what these papers say. She reports directly to Admiral Kenesh yet her documents are signed by my grandmother. So I want us to co operate with her and until she gets clearance from the council, Dai you’ll be her contact show her the ropes and keep her out of trouble.”

Scholar pulled Lafiel aside and told her point blank why we were here. Lafiel’s tightly clenched fists told me more than the words she said to Scholar. I excused myself and joined in this conversation. Lafiel was ready to explode, Scholar calmed her down, she suggested that we go ahead with our visit and play dumb about what we knew until the Wise Ones tipped their hand. Lafiel reminded us that less the thirty eight hours ago she sent the messengers from the Wise Ones packing at the end of a laser rifle they’ll know something’s a foot when we show up. Scholar said even that event was a minor skirmish compared to Tay.

“We need to know why things have happened as they have. Tay can’t or won’t tell us but I’m convinced the Wise Ones are withholding information. It’s information that we need to assure our continued survival. Lafiel I think we are being toyed with and if that’s so we need to change the rules now.”

Her growing frustration was apparent to anyone who knew Lafiel. Ariel had just met Lafiel, yet she sensed something. What she figured was happening wasn’t, but she still had another message to deliver, this one made the first look like an invite to a party.

“If you going to liberate Martine there are a couple of things you should know. I know you’re not going to be real happy either.”

Ariel handed Lafiel a data crystal. Lafiel thanked her placed it around her neck and went back to the conversation at hand. It was decided that Scholar and Dai would leave at dawn for the Guardians base to confront the Wise Ones about Tay.

Lafiel then turned her attention to Ariel motioning the group to the war room she place the data crystal in the reader and displayed the data on the main viewer; it was at that moment Ariel explained to all what was displayed.

“Star Forces resources in that region are non existent, one badly mangled fleet and six extra squadrons plus a training fleet, not a lot of reliability there.”

Lafiel grabbed the pointing device and highlighted the fleet in question ‘Light Snow Fleet’ and six attack frigate squadrons.

“Ariel my dear, do you have any idea who commands that fleet and those squadrons?”

Ariel flipped her creunoc open and brought the information up, reading it her face paled. She dropped her creunoc her tone of voice took a sudden change.

“I… I … I didn’t know. I’m sorry Lafiel your father and brother are respected officers but they have so little to work with…”

Lafiel clicked the detail on the fleet description. The Light Snow Fleet was at fifty five percent of normal strength adding in Duhiel’s squadrons and the training fleet they barely made seventy percent. The fleet was something useful but not as a front line unit. Lafiel had an announcement of her own to make Ariel was the only one surprised.

“All plans for Martine are on hold until Jinto recovers. Right now we have other issued to deal with, Scholar and Dai will start the process in the morning. The rest of us need to go over the last encounter with the Zu’har and make sure we have our information straight, but until Scholar gets back do not commit anything to memory. There is a good chance things will change. Noel bunk Ariel with Arisa and until Dai gets back she’s your new shadow. Oh, Noel, find Ariel some suitable clothing, that uniform has got to go. The rest of you are dismissed.”

Stepping out of the room Lina confronted Lafiel. Arisa made her request which was Martine must be liberated at once. Lafiel told Lina Martine would be liberated soon but not until Jinto had recovered completely. Lina stormed out of the room. Lafiel introduced Ariel to Arisa and then Noel took her to find suitable clothing.

“Sobbash do we still have remote access to the Independence?

Stepping back in to the war room Sobbash activated the remote console.

“Lafiel the ship answer ready. What are you planning?”

Lafiel looked at Scholar and Dai she glanced at Sobbash got a determined look in her eyes and said.

“Bring it to the clearing. Once it’s here Sobbash you and Noel go and make sure we have complete control of it. I’m hedging a bet here I figure the Wise Ones will feed Scholar another bill of goods while they have control of the ship. If I have it here the three of us can rescue them if necessary. Bring the ship here Sobbash.”

Forty minutes later the Independence arrived in the clearing south east of the falls. Samson, Risch, Noel and Sobbash secured the ship. They returned to the Residence and reported that fact to Lafiel. She sent everyone off to bed and returned to her room.

Ariel could see Lafiel’s part of the Residence from where she was. The lights stayed lit well after Ariel was asleep.

“I wonder what I’ve stumbled into and more than that what should I tell my mother if anything. I know she’s expecting a report but I’ve made a bad first impression already I’ll be damn if I get myself sent back to the capital with in one day of arriving.”

To be continued in: “The Key to the Master Plan”

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."