32_The Darkness Before The Dawn

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

32_The Darkness Before The Dawn

Post by Diaho »

The Darkness Before The Dawn

“Dai and I ah um … Well we decided that being active members of the Star Forces wasn’t a good idea if we were to help. So we ah… tendered our resignations right before we came here.”

There was a deafening silence. Lafiel sat motionless, her fork, containing the food she was about to consume in mid travel to her mouth. The breeze seems to have halted as did all other natural noises in the area. I looked at Ariel she too was frozen in time. I have to admit her inexperience let her utter an honest statement. What she said was true we had just resigned from the Star Forces. Her timing and delivery left a lot to be desired though.

Lafiel’s fork returned to the plate, her mouth closed, and her expression went from anger to acceptance in a matter of moments. I resisted saying anything waiting for this revelation to be fully absorbed however Ariel sensed her error and tried to make amends. A quick pinch to her side stopped another honest but foolish statement from being delivered. It was at this moment Lafiel started to speak her words were soft yet firm as she said.

“Dai I’ve know for sometime you’ve been on the fence as to whether to resign or not. I know the Abh Council was pretty harsh in their punishment so your resigning makes me happy.”

“Ariel you’ve been here less than a week you know so little about this world or those who sit around you. I wonder if your decision was prompted by Dai’s desire to finally break free or…”

Ariel stood and pounded the table hard, her face glowed red, her eyes locked on to Lafiel as she said.

“First off it was MY idea to resign. Dai tried her best to talk me out of it. Secondly, Lafiel you of all people should understand my position. I’m an outcast, only under my mothers protection have I’ve been able to live a decent life, up until now that is. This is something I’ve wanted for a very long time I suffered through training to become skilled enough to fit into a society like this one. I Quit the Force and nothing you say will make me go back. I’m here whether you like it or not.”

Ariel was locked on to Lafiel, her gaze never wandered as she waited for an answer to her response. I tried to take her hand and she brushed my attempt to distract her away. Another minute passed and Lafiel finally blinked. She stood placed her hands on the table and locked the gaze once again as she responded.

IF you explained to Kenesh what you told me. I’ll welcome you to the group. But IF you resigned and gave no reason I’ll forcibly stuff you back in your shuttle and send you on your way. Have I made my self clear?”

Ariel raised her arm and activated her creunoc. Removing it from her arm she handed it to Lafiel. Lafiel read the message carefully it contained more than was necessary to make her happy. It went into details Lafiel ignored, Ariel has a past and if this was her way of sharing it. Lafiel will go at it in a different manner later on. She handed the creunoc back to Ariel and sat down. Ariel returned to her seat as well, this time she did not reject my advance her hand trembled in mine. Lafiel gazed across the table, looked Ariel in the eye and smiled.

“We have two new members of our little club. I hope Ariel’s decision is accepted at the Capital without a lot of unnecessary drama. Then again I should know better, be prepared for a stinging response to your request Ariel. You’ll have two very headstrong women to contend with, I hope you’re up to the challenge. Now let’s see, before the boom was lowered, we were discussing the crew for the third ship.”

It came to pass that Ariel and I would command the third ship Arisa would be our engineer. Then subject turned to the rest of the crew for the other two ships. Lafiel moved the conversation to the war room. From there we went over the applications received once the Independence was commissioned it was a sizeable stack and to add a little motivation to our efforts Lafiel said she’d like to leave for Martine in two days.

Atosuryua’s answer brought with it the crew for the second ship. She accepted the offer to be second in command to Sobbash and some of her crew from the Ku Dorin would join her as well. That left only one ship to crew. The one I would command and Ariel would be my second. I had some ideas of my own and after getting Lafiel’s attention we placed them into action. Engineering and weapons would be from Arisa’s crew the rest would come from Lafiel’s pool of talent. Time was of the essence. We had two days to assemble and train a crew, then the journey and shake down to Martine. It was going to be very tight but I felt it was an accomplishable feat, I hope it was our lives depended on it.

Risch and I spent a few minutes scanning each one of the ships when they arrived. They were carbon copies of the Independence outwardly; however we found a few subtle differences that would require adjustments on our part so there would be true equality among the ships. Risch had cloaking devices ready to install and I finished up the control AI’s. We figured the ships would be completely operational in three to five days. When Noel said Lafiel was leaving in two we hit the panic button, it was not impossible to complete this feat in two days, but we were going to be very busy.

“Samson, Noel said Arisa will be engineer on the third ship. I think we should get her up to speed as soon as possible. Noel also said Lafiel was getting ready to name both ships too. I wonder what she’ll call them.”

Samson took in what I said, I’m pretty sure it registered with him but he didn’t show it. His thoughts were of Sobbash and her returning to space once again. Even though Atosuryua and he would be with her, his doubts still showed as he tried to finish the last AI unit. I took both cloaking devices and the one AI out to the sled. When Samson was finished we’d stop by the Residence picked up Arisa and proceed to the ships. It was mid afternoon on day one. If we finished by dark we’d be on schedule to depart in two days time.

I made note of the arrival of the other two ships, Painiach didn’t seem to care one way or the other as to what I was doing so I left her in the dark. Noel arrived later that morning and invited Painiach and I to lunch. As we left for lunch Painiach said.

“Kufadis tell me my eyes were deceiving me. Tell me I didn’t see two twins to the Independence fly over about three hours ago.”

Here I figured you were losing your touch, I should have known better not much escapes you these days. Knowing that should make for an interesting lunch shouldn’t it. We head for the front of the Residence it is then we spot Risch and Samson picking up Arisa and heading towards the falls. Painiach moves along I linger for a moment to see if I can hear any conversation, there is none and I follow her through the garden to our lunch date.

Arisa was waiting behind the extension as Samson and I approached her. I also noticed Spoor and Kufadis were making their way towards the Residence. I decided that a quick pick up was in order and failed to tell Samson of my plan until we were on our way again. Samson glanced over his shoulder and saw Spoor’s party disappearing into the gardens.

“I agree Risch having a conversation with Kufadis around wasn’t wise his hearing seems very acute. I’m sure he’s figured out why we are doing what we are, but telling him outright does take all the fun out of it.”

I looked at our passenger figuring she’d be confused, she wasn’t she seemed to understand everything that was happening around her. If she had this broad of a comprehension curve teaching her the system aboard ship should be a walk in the gardens. If that proved true Lafiel’s wish for a departure in a day and a half was very likely.

I had just finished a grueling session with the war council when my aide found me. Kenesh was waiting in her office I made one stop on the way there and when I entered I was handed two dispatches from Shahrazad. The first didn’t surprise me however the second one. I knew Ariel was unhappy I didn’t realize how unhappy she was until I read the dispatch. Kenesh’s expression was one of…

“How long have you known this? Had I any indication I wouldn’t have sent her there…”

Kenesh stood, straightened her uniform and addressed me in a way she hasn’t done in years.

“Your Highness I’ve been a loyal servant of yours for many years. It amazes me how little you truly understand about those around you. Lafiel and Ariel thanks to the council are outcasts, Lafiel for deifying them and Ariel because she was genetically linked to their greatest embarrassment. It’s natural that they join forces I’m still stunned at how rapid Ariel’s decision was to reject the Empire and join Lafiel.”

I was going to respond to Kenesh but she wasn’t finished, the next revelation, I had guessed was going on but as she said earlier I found out just how clueless I’ve been.

“I was surprised at Dai’s letter and not so much Ariel’s. Ariel was aware of her raw deal from the moment it happened. Dai on the other hand was blindsided by that bunch of aging, illiterate, incompetent, genetic outcasts that claims to be the High Council. Why, because she dared to love your grandson, he’s alive today because of her actions and one other outcast from our society Painiach’s niece, she whose name is forbidden to be spoken under penalty of death. She was another genetic experiment that went wrong and was swept under the rug. Ramaj I know you know better yet you seem in recent time to let things that are unjust escape your thoughts and those that are mundane have taken over. I beginning to wonder if the Council is an infection that taints all those associated with it.”

I don’t think I would have felt any different had Kenesh removed her side arm set it on stun and fired it at me. I made my way to a chair and sat down. Kenesh returned to her seat as well. It was several awkward moments before I was able to gather my thoughts and speak what was on my mind.

“We formed this government in the midst of chaos because it was necessary. I was hoping a candidate would have been selected by now but that’s not happened. Kenesh went we started this enterprise we communicated well we worked together almost as one but you’re correct dealing with the Council has tainted me. I’m no longer as proud of our accomplishment as I was before. I suggest we make the time to sit and talk out our differences once again. You know as soon as that information you have is released to the Council it’s not going to be real pretty. If we are not united in our purpose the Council will try to topple what we hold dear. I can’t let that happen not until we know who will sit on the throne.”

Kenesh ordered dinner and we spent the rest of the afternoon and well into the evening ironing out our differences. By midnight everything was settled and a plan to deal with the Council was readied. I would hand over the approved resignations in the morning to the Council. Before we left we sent a message to Dai and Ariel concerning their request. They were released from their commitments and wished the best of luck in their new adventure.

With Jinto in the hospital, Sobbash and I split his normal duties between us. So very early in the morning I was checking the dispatches and found the coded responses to Dai and Ariel’s requests. I left the war room woke Lafiel showed her the documents; I figured she’d decode them on the spot however she asked me to follow her. We found Dai and Ariel woke them both and handed them the dispatches. Once decoded you could see a look of amazement on both of their faces, in fact they read each other’s documents before responding to Lafiel’s enquiry as to the contents.

Like a couple of students they both handed the documents to Lafiel. She read them looked at Dai and Ariel then at me and asked them if I could read them as well. When they agreed I read them and was stunned. Honorable and Unconditional release from the Star Forces, something I have seen only once before in my life, it’s my release from the Force all those years ago. There was no argument, no fuss and no conditions placed upon them I found it rather disturbing considering who they were and where they were. My only guess is that maybe, finally, Kenesh and Ramaj have figured out this place is here to stay and have accepted that fact. One can only hope that is the case. We left them in a quiet celebration. As we walked back Lafiel said.

“I don’t get it Noel. Grandmother and Kenesh should have been incensed with their actions yet they gave in and did the right thing. I wonder how the Council took that news I know they didn’t accept the fact without argument, unless, I wonder if the decision was made without consulting the Council. If that be true then has Grandmother regained control of the Council, I wonder?”

I watched as Lafiel returned to her room. I made my way to my quarters and retired for the evening. I lay awake thinking about the past few days and wondered if …something doesn’t feel right I can’t place my finger on it yet. I dose off and don’t wake till after sunrise.

The interference from Martine has reached a level that it is interfering with long range communications. I’ve directed the defensive grid be placed on line and have tried on several occasion over the past few hours to scan the system. The interference is distorting our scans. I have a feeling something is happening out there something Shahrazad should know about before Lafiel arrives. Samson I wish you were here between the two of us we might figure this out. However Samson’s not here the only other person I can trust is… she’s sleeping right now as much as I do not want to wake her I must. Sobbash trusted her insight and opinion I must now take the same leap of faith and confide in her everything that I know. I let myself into her room pull the chair beside the bed and gently shake her.

“Wake up we got problems.”

A half dazed look greeted my words then my memory got jarred.

“Are you here to propose Paveryua? I told you, you’re not allowed in my room unless you are proposing to me…”

Not now I didn’t need this nonsense from her even though I had promised I’d stay out of her room until, never mind this was urgent I had to make her understand.

“Not now, there’s no time for formalities. I need your help and I didn’t want to use the link. We’ve got a big problem I need your advice. Please this is very important.”

Rolling on her side and supporting her head with her arm she listened to what I had to say. When I finished she sat up moved to sit on the side of the bed and faced me.

“Everything is being reflected back you said. That is very worrisome, if you’ll excuse me I’d like to get dressed before I join you in the office. Then we’ll have a look at those scans.”

I left and stood outside wait for her. Suddenly my mind came on line I realized she was sitting there in undergarments and a smile conversing with me. I have to re evaluate my relationship with her. She’s always been a little bit of a tease in a respectful way but I just saw a side of her I, well I never though I would see and I have to admit I did like what I saw. She joins me and we go to the office. Reviewing the scans takes another twenty minutes and then I load the data into a probe sending it on its way to Shahrazad it will arrive in two days unless it meets with…

“I hate waiting. I hope our information reaches Lafiel before she arrives. I’m with you I believe there’s a sizable force out there that Martine is shielding from our scans.”

I’m standing looking out towards the depot her arm turns me to her and she says.

“Remember what you saw this morning, there is more waiting for you if you’ll follow me.”

Yeah she’s a flirt and I’m falling head over heels for her. I follow her back to her place where our conversation continues till early in the next day.

“Humm?”

Lafiel sits looking at the display, on it are a list of ships names use throughout the years by Jinto’s home world. It was here she found Independence and named the first ship. Now she wanted to name the other two and also send a message to all who would cross her path. Taking a pointer she highlights several names that sound interesting to her and finds the definition of each word. After an hour she has two candidates.

Defiance: the act or an instance of defying: challenge: disposition to resist: willingness to contend or fight.
She would give this name to the ship Dai and Ariel would command it fits them well.

Resolute: marked by firm determination: resolved: bold, steady.
This definition fits Sobbash; a ship bearing this name would carry her into the unknown and back safely.

“Defiance, Independence and Resolute, that about sums up how this planet feels about the rest of the galaxy. We are defiant, independent and resolved in our actions. We’ll never start a conflict but once involved we’ll not rest till it’s finished.”

Lafiel informed Risch of her decision and asked the names be place on those ships as they were on the Independence. Lafiel wanted nothing fancy, just identifying, she always thought Abh ships were too fancy, flags of their owners, ships badges, and those colors were garish in her mind. Simple, straight forward, nothing fancy that was her thoughts.

It’s morning. Mia just left my room, the new medicine seems to be working better, my infection is under control and the swelling around my sense organ is reduced. I still have trouble trying to focus so I’m watching the world slowly go by. I’m trying to remember was it today or tomorrow Lafiel was leaving for Martine.

Doesn’t matter I know she’ll not do anything aggressive towards them. I hope they don’t try anything funny though… I don’t finish this thought instead I drift off to sleep.

“System checks complete. I do believe everything is functioning now for the final check.”

Samson made this announcement from the Resolute. Arisa and I were aboard our respective ships. It was time to sync the AI’s with each other and see what happens. The normal outcome should be a link between the three established without any problems. However some of our equipment was still in the research phase and there might be issues. We started the links within an hour the three ships were functioning as one.

That was the design of these new AI units. Should one crew become unable to function, the other two ships could carry out routine commands and return the damaged ship to safety. We never had more than one ship before so while this looked good on paper we were now able to try it out in the real world. So far so good we’ll run more tests on our way to Martine.

This is our last day on Shahrazad as far as the ships go we’ll be ready to depart on Lafiel’s schedule. However the link chatter in the past hour seems to indicate Dai and Ariel are having crew issues. Best thing we can do is make sure the ships are ready, then return to the Residence and steer clear of everyone while we wait.

“The ship has been destroyed!”
That message flashed for the fifth time in the past ten hours. Navigators; we’ve interviewed six and five have washed out of the battle simulation. Our last hope is running about ten minutes late if she fails, I’ll have to ask Spoor if she can spare an experienced navigator or ask Ariel to do double duty, something I’m dreading either way. Ariel and I need to be free to roam the bridge incase we get into a fight. While experienced, this crew has little experience with this type of vessel I’m sensing a pending doom which I care not to explain to Ariel.

“Permission to come aboard.”
That voice, I knew it, but why is she here?
“Granted. Welcome aboard Seelnay.”
“I’m here to interview for the position of navigator. Any objections?”

I had none but Lafiel might I had no choice at the moment I sat Seelnay next to Greta and Arisa and started the simulation. Seelnay passed with flying colors in fact our crew scored the highest percentage on the simulation. I called Lafiel and informed her of our success she was not happy. She asked us to meet her in the war room as soon as possible. We were there in five minutes.

“No Seelnay, you’re not going and that’s final!”

Lafiel was not impressed with her actions. Seelnay had falsified documents to join this mission. It was decided that those with children were not going to go on this mission Samson and Sobbash were the only exceptions.

“You know I can’t let you go. If something were to happen to Samson or Sobbash it would be up to you and Nasse to raise Saio. If we were to lose the three of you, I can’t do that to Nasse, I’m sorry Seelnay the answer is no.”

Seelnay removed a tablet from her purse and handed it to Lafiel. Lafiel read the document frowned and handed it to me.

“Dai you have a navigator. I’ve been asked to make exception in this case and my fears have been silenced. Seelnay I swear anything goes a miss and I’ll have your hide. Am I understood?”

“Yes Your Highness. I’m fully aware of your concerns, but you must understand that after my encounter with Tay. I am a different person; this is the only way I will ever be able to prove my worth to you and everybody else.”

We left Lafiel and I continued to read the document. Not only was Seelnay going with us but members of the council will be included. Nice, like the UMK, we’re going to take observers along for the ride. My feelings of pending doom just went off the scale. Leaving Seelnay and the crew I found Ariel and expressed my apprehension to her. I was surprised to find she was having the same feelings as well. We spent till early morning discussing our options. I went to sleep feeling better about our outcome.

“Painiach this is not the time to try to out guess Lafiel. Now stop this nonsense and listen to what she has to say.”

Kufadis had just inserted himself between Painiach and me. Lucky for her he did that because I had a haymaker ready to deliver unannounced this time. Pushing us away from each other Kufadis stood red faced. He was actually madder than I’d ever seen him before.

“Ladies, we are going to settle this once and for all time. Lafiel asked for our help in liberating Martine and you accepted then decided to throw in these conditions. Sorry Painiach it’s not going to happen this time. Lafiel with her three ships could do the job alone yet we were asked to supply support. I understand your long running feud, but this time there won’t be a back up force to fall back on so we are going into this operation knowing good and well some of us might not come home. Damn it both of you, remove your heads from where ever they are and accept the fact you need each other and let’s go on from here.”

I looked at Painiach she in turn looked at me and Kufadis then stared off into space. Once composed she said she would help but also asked that we used my father and brothers group as a back up, a covering group incase our intelligence was faulty. I agreed to ask but could not speak for them directly.

Painiach activated the main display and shared intelligence she’s had for quite some time it would seem.

“This is the only route I’ve found that a force of any size could navigate and avoid detection from the monitoring satellites. I’m not sure how they’ve cleared it but I’ll stake my fleet on it being the route we need to investigate.”

My answer was interrupted by the Sord alarm. Silencing it I scanned the area and found a probe from Martine it was set to broadcast the emergency code once it left the Sord. Paveryua’s way of getting attention I have to admit it’s very effective. I silenced the probe and downloaded its information into the computers. A moment later Paveryua’s message and charts appeared on the viewer. This information seemed to confirm Painiach’s hunch that the asteroid field was being used to bring supplies to Martine and the newest twist was Paveryua’s contention that a sizeable fleet was hiding in the area as well. I reached for the comm. link and a very sleepy Noel answered.

“I know its early, wake everyone up and have them come to the war room. We have a new wrinkle in our plans.”

Noel closed the link and wandered into the room about ten minutes later. Most everyone else was with her the only one missing was Atosuryua. I started without her knowing Sobbash could brief her later.

“We’ve just received information from Martine. If we are to believe it one hundred percent we are walking into a trap and a well conceived one at that. I’ve sent a message to my father asking him to move to this position. From there he’ll be hidden by the asteroid field but will be able to ascertain whether Paveryua is right in his hunch or not. As much as I don’t want to do this I’m asking Painiach to be the decoy in this venture. She’ll enter the Sord after we leave for Martine and will hold position in the Sord at the asteroid field until we arrive. Granted under normal circumstances we would beat them there but we still need to shake down all three ships. My only hope is Painiach does not encounter any enemy vessels while in plane space. We would be unable to aid her and my father would be on the other side of the asteroid field unable to get to her in time as well. Its zero five thirty we’ll met back here at noon and depart shortly there after. Painiach will depart at one three three zero. We’ll meet at the Sord two days later. Painiach if you encounter any hostile force I want you to avoid combat at all cost. That means abandoning the Sord system and proceeding through normal space if necessary.”

I noticed Atosuryua entered about the time I laid out the details of the plan. Sobbash was already conferring with her as I spoke.

“If there are no questions I’ll see you here at noon sharp. Until then you are dismissed.”

Sleepy people milled about for a few moments then returned to their quarters I ended up with Sobbash and Painiach by my side.

“Paveryua’s taken a fateful step it would seem.” Sobbash said as she reviewed his data. “You know this isn’t his work but I do know who’s it is and if she believes it to be true we can bet its a trap. My only concern is do they know we are coming this soon or is our haste going to be an advantage?”

“Good question Sobbash all the more reason to get close enough to hear her fathers report.”

Painiach faces Lafiel and continues.

“I understand you wanting me to avoid combat if possible but my pride will not allow me to retreat I’ll make you a promise. IF I run across the bad guys I’ll steer them a wide berth but I’ll not reverse course. I’m not fool hardy either I remember almost losing my ass covering you at Lobnas II believe me that’s not going to happen either. A happy compromise is what I’m planning; I’ll have my cake and eat it to okay Your Highness?”

I didn’t argue. Painiach was at least honest with me concerning this. I knew already turning about was never in her play book so this was a good compromise. Sobbash’s comment about Paveryua intrigued me more. I hadn’t realized those two had become an item. I always figured them as being solo acts. Well so much for my attempt at guessing personal relationships. I made my way to bed it was going to be a very long day.

Aboard the Jemkau Debeusec and Duhiel finalize their plans on how to execute Lafiel’s request.

“I have no choice I’m leaving Rena in charge of the training fleet with orders at the first sign of trouble to get as far from here as fast as they can. That last battle drill convinced me how dangerous they are. Four ships damaged just coming to battle stations if we were to enter battle with them I can not and will not sentence fellow beings to that fate.”

Duhiel sat across from his father in the ward room off the bridge of the Jemkau he had witnessed the folly that was the last training drill as well. His ship almost became involved with two other vessels it was only his navigator’s skill that saved them from major damage.

“Father we’ll be less than fifty in number. If observing is all we are doing then that is a comfortable number but entering battle in those numbers is suicide Spoor’s fleet is suppose to be the decoy according to Lafiel I think it’s a good plan.”

Debeusec shook his head from side to side. He knew that Duhiel already was aware of what he was going to say but I had to be said and not assumed.

“Painiach listens to the beat of her own heart. If it happens to coincide with the plan at the time then its fine, but if she happens to spy a prize she wants then all bets maybe off. We have to consider that as well, she may run off and leave your sister in pursuit of something else. Rena’s orders leave her no choice but to leave once the battle starts. Her level of experience is such that she can be more of a danger than a help. I’ve lost one companion I’m not in the mood to lose another. I’m not in the mood to lose a son either. You will be careful right?”

I told father that he worried too much and left him for my ship. His words bounced around in my head for most of the day. In the end as much as we’ve disagreed lately I have to agree with him Lafiel’s request should be easy to accomplish however the odds of it being simple didn’t bode well for us.

“You’re telling Jinto we are leaving aren’t you?”

I didn’t answer Noels question directly instead I said.

“Scholar, Li and Kim will be joining us Erin will stop in on Jinto after we’ve gone. There’s not enough time for me to visit him.”

Noel grunted in disgust and walked away. I knew she would feel this way but I didn’t want an emotional scene with Jinto. I wanted to be free of any last minute guilt he might lay upon me. I was going to liberate his home and I will probably have to fire upon his native soil. There was enough doubt in my mind another pep talk from Jinto was not what I needed right now. I believe Noel knew this as well that’s why she didn’t complain as loudly as she has in the past.

Scholar arrived as planned she would go with me on the Independence she would be my science officer. Kim and Li would go with Dai aboard the Defiance they would keep an eye on Seelnay and act if she decided to run amuck.
Sobbash lucked out she would be crewed but carry no member of the council with her. However her job would not be all that simple either, once we hooked up with Spoor it would fall on Sobbash and Atosuryua to keep Spoor on track and not let her wander off. The Resolute was going to be tested in this expedition hopefully our training will see us through this endeavor.

The time for departure came we lifted off from the falls in sequence. I was leading and Sobbash bringing up the rear. Once in high orbit we did several systems test before we left the planet. Once the engineers were convinced that the ships were operating within acceptable parameters we left the system at maximum sub light speed. We’d engage the star drive once everyone got use to the ships feel.

We were at the edge of our scanning range when Spoor entered the Sord. The plan was to commence in exactly forty hours from now. Spoor should arrive at Martine in thirty eight hours plus or minus and at maximum speed we could be at Martine in eight hours plus or minus depending on what we encountered on the way. But this wasn’t a speedy trip we needed the time to get everyone accustomed to their ship and the crew acclimated to how these ships operated.

It’s been almost twenty hours since we left Shahrazad the ships are functioning flawlessly so far. Sobbash has had her first weapons drill and the results were excellent. Dai’s first effort fell short just a little bit Arisa discovered a small misalignment in the focusing beam on the main array. Once that was corrected her second attempt was a bit better than Sobbash’s. Both of their weapons officers were becoming accustomed to firing the main weaponry without any error if we have to fire on Martine there can be no errors period.

Shields and cloaking devices work as planned. Our next drill was a rendezvous at light speed to a point about three quarters of a light year distant. It would be the first time two of the ships have gone to light speed. I opened a link to Dai and Sobbash and said.

“Remember what I said about the jump to light speed. There will be a momentary distortion of your sensors and senses if you’re hooked into the system. Navigators, the AI is capable of making the jump to light. If you so desire to experience it then stay connected but in combat a sudden jump to light speed may distort your senses momentarily remember that and have the AI tied in just incase you lose it. Are we ready? “

Noel signaled that she had received conformation for both ships a count down from ten was started and the point was plotted on the main display we should arrive there in less than three minutes. A short burst from the Star Drive if that is successful then well will make a longer duration attempt.

“Three, Two, One, Engage.” The main displayed blurred momentarily and then the sight of stars streaking greeted us. I kept connected to the ship. Noel stayed disconnected and I noticed Dai was lagging behind ever so slightly. I wondered how Seelnay was enjoying her first taste of light speed. I’d know in about two minutes. According to plan we dropped back to sub light at the coordinates programmed earlier. I wished I could have seen it from a third person perspective. Those three ships disappearing in a streak of light only to reappear half way across the system, I am jealous.

The first reports came in Sobbash and Atosuryua suffered no ill effects in fact Sobbash said it didn’t last long enough for her liking. Dai had a bit of trouble Seelnay momentarily got very nauseated and almost had an incident on the bridge. Once she regained her composure it was an uneventful ride. I decided to run at max sub light for another ten hours. Our last dash to Martine would be at light speed.

The first explosion knocked me off my feet. We’d stumbled into a mine field. The Kimkau has taken damage and several other ships had been bounced around. I didn’t have time to sweep this field I took the beam cannon on the Lashkau and blasted a path through the area. If there was a sensor drone located in this field it was blasted to bits hopefully before it could warn it owners of our presence, if that happens our element of surprise is lost but Lafiel will never know it. She may enter the system and fall into a trap within a trap. I told engineering to give it our all and scanning to catalog every last speck of junk floating around in here. If something looked out of place it was to be destroyed. We were ten hours from Sord exit and about two hours ahead of schedule. I hoped to knock another hour off our arrival time so if there is a surprise up ahead may be we’d get the drop on them instead of the other way around. Either way a mine field placed here told me we weren’t alone someone wanted to slow us down for reason yet to be known.

We hid among the asteroids and gas clouds of the field. Communications silence was being observed while we watched and waited. Almost thirty hours had passed when the motion detectors on the Jemkau sensed movement on the far side of the field. A large mass was moving slowly towards Martine accompanying it were almost three hundred type sixty six defenders. We were no match for their fire power. We held our positions as they passed within one half light years from our position. It was at that moment we detected Sord activity and determined that we were about to be surrounded if we didn’t fall back. We made an orderly withdrawal and for the moment avoided detection but Lafiel had to be warned if she approached Martine from the sun as she had planned what ever that behemoth was would be waiting for her.

“Painiach you better look at this.”

Normally I’d never address her by her first name on the bridge but I needed her attention, what just appeared at the edge of our scanner. I hoped she knew what it was because I wasn’t certain except for one thing it was nothing the Empire operated. She approached me and leaned over my shoulder what I was observing she was seeing as well. She took one look raised her head and shouted.

“ALL STOP bring the fleet to a full halt NOW!”

She asked me to leave my seat and took my position she spent the next moments studying the object just on the edge of our scanning range. Once satisfied with her impression of what it was she said.

“I be damned I knew there were some of those left over at wars end but I though they were all destroyed, I guess not. That Kufadis is an Elite Destroyer it has the fire power of this entire fleet. There were only five built well reportedly built if there’s one here then I’ll bet there’s one lurking around Martine. If that is correct Lafiel’s in a lot of trouble. She can’t fight one of those and I’ll bet if it’s there it’s not alone. Take note Kufadis of this ones escort.”

Surrounding this vessel was an armada of support and attack ships somewhere around three hundred I would estimate it was hard telling they were just on the edge of our scanner and it seemed they were…

“Look at this they are leaving the Sord and exiting into the asteroid field.”

Painiach moved to my side once again she studied the scans as they occurred it was true the Elite Destroyer was leaving plane space I could see the wheels spinning in her mind she was devising a plan at this very moment. She stood moved to the communications office and said.

“Fleet wide scrambled.” The link was opened and the plan was revealed as she used the touch screen to explain.

“We have a golden opportunity to do a lot of damage but we must be careful as well. I plan on waiting till the large vessel is free of the Sord then destroying everything that lies with in the Sord using the transitions as cover. We’ll split into five sections and carve them up in a cross fire. The plans should arrive on your displays about now. Are there any questions? Commence attack as planned.”

Five groups came at them from five different directions we caught them flat footed there was so much distortion with in the Sord horizon that we could see them but they couldn’t see us. In twenty minutes it was all over their fleet lay scattered across the Sord and sensors indicated that nothing of the battle had exited the Sord. As far as the rebels knew everything in here was as they had left it. Were they in for a surprise, sensors also indicated that if we were to exit the Sord we would not make much headway the large lumbering target was moving slowly off towards the outer planets. Lafiel would be here before it was out of sensor range. A decision had to be made and quickly Painiach was staring at the sensor sweeps looking for an out but this time I felt our luck had run out.

“If Debeusec is out there and he’s seen this he’ll have to be the one to warn Lafiel. All we can do is wait here until she arrives and then hit them from behind…”

That was the last straw I like those people and Painiach’s thinking was… I cut her off and said.

“Yeah hit them from behind while Lafiel gets slaughtered I’m not liking this plan at all Admiral. We need something better and fast. Lafiel is about one and a half hours out and oblivious to what is happening here. What if Debeusec isn’t around or has had to retreat to protect his group what if he can’t warn Lafiel? Hum? Admiral did you give that any consideration?”

To be continued in: The Liberation of Martine.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."