34_Memories and Dreams Fulfilled

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

34_Memories and Dreams Fulfilled

Post by Diaho »

Memories and Dreams Fulfilled

Eight years ago today I arrived here with Teel’s body. A lot has happened in that time so let me bring you up to date. Jinto and I buried Teel near the falls overlooking the lake; six months ago we buried Lina next to him. Jinto was up early as he’s been most mornings since that day, he takes fresh flowers to the grave site everyday without fail.

Martine is in transition, in the six years since the clean up plants were built seventy five percent of the water, soil and air have been purified. The enchanted forest has about forty percent of its canopy reestablished. Most of those who migrated to Shahrazad have returned. The official losses were one million nine hundred and seventy five thousand dead with another eight thousand missing and presumed dead.

Through some weird stroke of luck Martine’s first elected leader was Minchi. Her popularity and being an outsider garnered her, the most votes in the first election a four year term. She is now finishing her second and final term. Tzu Li, a friend of Jinto’s, will succeed Minchi as Martine’s next leader. Tzu was in our first class of ambassadors and made quite a name for him self. He was Jinto’s first choice but Minchi buried him in the election, he’s spent the past eight years as assistant to Minchi so he knows the ropes very well. Martine will be in good hands I’m sure of that.

Next is this world. The eight years have been kind to us. Tay and her people have opened up a wealth of information to us. We can now extend life to a reasonable time with good health. The medical advances that have been made are stunning, in fact, I’m viewing a miracle; there is no other word for it, in front of me. I’m sitting outside going over my daily correspondence and I’m watching Samson and Sobbash’s son, Robert play with Noel and Risch’s daughter, Lily they are almost four years old.

Sobbash, for whom a child of her own was impossible until five years ago, is a changed woman, she’s always happy well adjusted and fears nothing. There is a story behind those two children which were born eight days apart. Sobbash returned from Martine and fell into a deep depression it got so bad she contemplated something an Abh is not allowed to do. We found her passed out one afternoon from taking a combination of pain killers. It was then Mia had Tay’s staff work with Sobbash. After a couple of weeks they pinpointed a chemical imbalance in Sobbash, treatment was started and she responded well. It was also learned the Doctor Sasoum was correct in the opinion that part of her depression was her inability to give Samson a son. Tay tried an experimental procedure on Sobbash it seemed to work, in analyzing the Abh genetic code Tay’s people found a way to temporarily counteract the gene that prevents Abh’s from getting drunk.

One summer evening Sobbash decided that she and Samson were going to celebrate his birthday in a very special manor. Three bottles of vintage apple wine, one of Tay’s pills, an evening of unremembered romance and Sobbash found her self pleasantly pregnant. Tests were run and the child was deemed to be free of any abnormalities. Sobbash had an easy time, Robert arrived early one afternoon. Saio who is thirteen has a brother that she adores.

Not to be outdone Noel and Risch decided a late night hot tub romp was an acceptable start. However Noel panicked when she found out she was with child. Risch took it all in stride as Samson had but Noel was in a panic. Then when she found out it was going to be a female she really came unglued. She feared not being able to love a child. Seeing how her early years were I could understand that fear. In time Noel came to not only accept, but feel genuine love for the child she was carrying. Unlike Sobbash who breezed through her pregnancy Noel had a difficult time of it. Twice Lily tried to arrive very early. After the second time Noel was admitted to the hospital and spent her last six weeks there. Lily arrived right before midnight eight days after Robert was born.

“Oh my, is the sun getting in you eyes?”

I lean over and adjust the bonnet on Cassandra’s carriage. Jinto and I have a daughter. She’ll be three day after tomorrow. After watching Noel and Sobbash go through motherhood I decided that I didn’t want to be left out. You know that’s a lousy reason to have a child and I realized that one evening. Jinto had just had it out with Lina over the subject of grandchildren, a subject that became more pointed after Sobbash and Noel gave birth. I was in the garden when he approached me.

“I could strangle her at times, just, Argh …”

Silly me I decided to say something without thinking and I got an earful.

“Lets have a child it will make both of you happy and I won’t feel left out anymore.”

I thought Jinto would be overjoyed but he questioned my sanity at first then ask me if this was a cruel joke. Finally when I told him what I was thinking he really blew a fuse.

“You’re telling you’re willing to have a child with me to make me and Lina happy? Have you been talking to Minchi again?”

I wanted to deck him right there, how dare he compare me to her. I love him. All she wants is his genes to have a child of mixed bloodlines. She’s a selfish bitch; unfortunately she has the wherewithal to fulfill her desires. We fought till almost dawn. Somewhere after sunrise I looked Jinto in the eyes and said.

“I want to have a child. I want it to be our child. I need you and I love you Jinto Lynn. Will you grant my request?”

Early in the morning the flowers fragrance is very strong. The roses especially, I was tired and drained arguing with Jinto had left me that way. But for the first time in my life, I have been not only honest with Jinto; I’d been honest with myself as well. Jinto stood before me and extended his hand I took it and he led me to the Residence. We had a light breakfast a long shower and a very romantic morning. Nine months later Cassie was born. My experience was not as good as Sobbash’s, but not as bad as Noel’s either. I do understand morning sickness very well though.

When the time came to examine Cassie it was decided that no tinkering would be done with her unless it was necessary to assure a healthy child. She proved to be in excellent health and very stable genetically. It’s funny she’s got my facial looks and Jinto’s eyes those aren’t Jinto’s ears they must be mine, well at least the ones I would have had, if father had not had to follow the family creed.

She was born with brown hair, at eight months it became blond, at eighteen months she was bald as an onion and six months ago this beautiful blue hair started appearing on her head. I’m so happy that part of my genes took, had she kept the brown hair I’d been upset cause she could have been mistaken for a product of … Nope even with Brown hair she’s mine and Jinto’s no doubt in my mind either. Funny thing, auntie Minchi will be here in about six days, this new hairdo of Cassie’s will be a topic of discussion I’m sure.

Before I move on I’d like to discuss Lina’s years on this world. She didn’t accept Teel’s death until we opened the casket. His remains were not in the best shape and although the mortician in the Village did, in my opinion, an excellent job. Lina fainted when she saw him. For those years we had survivors on this world she spent her time with them consoling, helping, listening, anything she could do to hide her pain. Once most of them were gone she and Jinto fought constantly until Cassie was born, after that she became a changed woman. Her last two year and half years were spent with Cassie. There were times I had to go find them to take her in for a check up. Lina was an all day, all night, sitter something I’ve missed the six months she’s been gone.

Her health failed suddenly and rapidly. Mia tried everything she knew to extend her life but it was to no avail. She left us one afternoon her hand on Cassie’s crib. I found her and called Jinto, it was the first time I’d ever experience a natural death. Cassie will have little memory of Lina and none of Teel. I have video I recorded without Lina’s knowledge that I’ll show Cassie once she gets older I want her to know the only grandmother she’s had. As for my father, he knows Cassie is here but neither he nor grandmother have made the effort to come and visit yet.

Cassie’s uncle Duhiel sits upon the Jade Throne. He was crowned a year ago; his first action was a purge of the present ruling structure. He’s replace the doddering old dolts with open minded free thinking younger members. For the moment he’s halted any further expansion of the Empire and is working on settling all the old differences with those whose territory we occupy. He was overjoyed with Cassie’s birth and I understand why he’s not come to visit. Duhiel lifted my exile restored my financial status but I don’t have a title or property and have no need for them. Those who wished me harm no longer are a threat. Duhiel’s house cleaning removed them from any further annoyance. In a move that didn’t surprise me he let Shahrazad and the Zon control the Martine system and gave it full independence. Although ninety percent of the rebel forces were destroyed at Martine there are still isolated pockets of resistance that pop up from time to time. With the Zon presence in the Martine system the rebels will be ill advised to try anything again.

Plakia is in her second year of training to be a transport Captain. Recently turning eighteen Atosuryua has given her a formal ranking of ensign and she is the second navigator aboard the Ku Dorin. It’s a position she’ll hold for six months then move on to communications. A Captain must be versed in all operations aboard ship. Plakia’s excelling in her studies she’s going to make an excellent Captain someday.

Plakia’s brothers are a different story. The oldest found a wonderful woman in the village married her and has a son. The other brother until recently was always in some sort of trouble. He teamed up with a con artist and was made the fall guy on several occasions. He’s currently residing in one of our detention facilities after passing forged credits. Nasse has visited him a couple of times but she feels he hasn’t learned his lesson, yet.

“Mommy I’m hungry and I’m no longer sleepy.”

Well Cassie’s awake and Jinto’s not back. Normally she sleeps till Jinto returns but today. A little juice and a light snack and we’re off to Noel’s to play with Lily. Cassie’s a bit small for her age and hasn’t developed as fast as Lily has but Mia says there isn’t cause for alarm she’s happy, healthy and trying to run.

“Whoa young lady you’re going to fall again.”

Cassie’s last fall left her bruised for a couple of days. Her memory of that is still fresh enough that she stops and waits till I catch up. I take her hand and we travel the rest of the distance to Noel’s. I place her next to Lily, and then Noel and I talk.

“Lafiel do you have everything you need for, you know?”

I answer that I have. Noel worries too much at times. Cassie’s birthday will go better this year than last. So I made a few minor mistakes, you know they don’t teach parenting classes in Captains school. I’m kind of winging this being a mother bit. I guess I’m jealous Sobbash and Noel seem to have natural parenting skills. I on the other hand seem very far behind the learning curve, if it wasn’t for Jinto, Cassie would have a very different life style. Something I’m sure my fellow parents wouldn’t like or tolerate. But like I said earlier I’m getting better day by day.

Cassie’s a daddy’s girl, I very aware of that fact and I accept it without reservation. Her full name is Cassandra Marie Lynn, Jinto’s birth mothers name. Had it been a boy, it would have been Rock Mason Lynn after Jinto’s father. I’m glad Cassie was born, the thought of yelling Rock at the top of my lungs doesn’t appeal to me in the least. Ah Jinto’s found us. I leave Cassie with him and head back to my office.

I’ve finished my correspondence and I’ll continue where I left off, lets see Nasse and her family did that already guess you need to know where Seelnay is, well that’s a long story, pull up a seat and I’ll explain.

As I said earlier we’ve had eight good years; beside the advancements in medicine there have been great strides made with technology. The three ships we used at Martine no longer exist their replacements are docked at the station in orbit around us, another new addition. We’ve become traders and explorers, a purpose built exploration vessel, the Discovery was launched four years ago.

The crew of the Discovery consists of an all volunteer group. Dai commands and Ariel serves as the first officer, Seelnay, serves as navigator. Dawn and Donald, a son born seven years ago, using Ku’s genetic code, are also aboard. The ship left three years ago on an exploration mission. Scholar was determined to find the seed of mankind, with Tay’s help they were heading to the Sol system and searching for the third planet. Our last communications with them was six months ago, they said they were returning here and that was all. According to my calculations they should arrive in another three to five days depending on which mode of transport they use.

I guess I should explain something to you. The Discovery is a hybrid space craft. Not only does it have light speed capability but it can also form a space time bubble and travel in plane space. The Sords have never been explored to their fullest extent so it has both abilities. Since this is a research vessel it is properly armed and able to defend itself if needed. Scholar estimated their trip would take about three and a half years to complete, one and a half years each direction, and a half year to explore the Sol system. They’re coming home early indicates either they found something, or it was a wild goose chase. I guess we’ll find out when they get here.

No one aboard the Discovery knows Cassie is here it’s my little surprise. It should be a big surprise to quite a few people too.

I’d like to finish a subject I mentioned earlier the current state of the Abh Empire. Duhiel sits on the Jade throne my grand mother and Kenesh retained their old positions. Kenesh still runs the Star Forces and grandmother is Duhiel’s Chief of Staff. I know those are temporary assignments, both grandmother and Kenesh have express their wish to retire from service to the Empire and I’m sure as soon as Duhiel finds competent replacements he’ll grant their requests.

My father recovered from Rena’s death much faster than he did from my mothers, that’s understandable Plakia and he brought children into this world. Rena was never that close to father, well I don’t think she was but with that said. My fathers in love again, I’ve not met this person but rumor has it she’s not much older than I am. Well to each their own, fathers a big boy now and capable of making his own decisions, just one thing I’m sure of, if she is my age calling her mother is out of the question, period end of discussion.

Let’s see; oh the Village, it’s grown in the past eight years, not only in population but size as well. There are six hundred from Martine that decided this was a better place to live and they’ve contributed greatly to our successes over the past eight years. Erin still heads the Council, Li is still her assistant and ambassador to Martine, and she loathes Minchi too. Mia still runs the hospital she has a new doctor aboard, Jasmine, Spoor’s niece she changed her name, is in charge of the O.B. wing of the hospital. She delivered Lily, Robert and Cassie along with another five hundred children in the past five years.

Doctor Sasoum is still here; since Lily’s birth she’s been following her progress with a great amount of interest. At first Noel was resistant but once the Doctor explained her motives Noel gave in. Lily is the first child of a child genetically engineered for a specific purpose. Although Risch is Abh, there is no such thing as a ‘normal’ Abh I’ll have you know. Lily might have inherited some of her mother abilities naturally which would be a first. Noel has been exploring her abilities as of late. It seems while Lily resided within her, her abilities awoke to a level that they became useful. As soon as Scholar gets back Noel’s agreed to be tested to find out just how far she’s come and how she’ll deal with her new abilities. Kind of scary if you ask me, Noel already has abilities most Abh would dream of; if she was to increase her scope she’d be awesome, like she isn’t already.

I did mention Spoor; well Painiach isn’t here, in fact she deeded the fuel depot to us before she went home. The reason she left, her half sister tried a coup d'état, she was almost successful. Painiach had to end up firing upon her own subjects to stop it. Since crushing the rebellion she’s stayed close to her territory. She’s residing on the Lashkau berthed at the station above her capital. Kufadis is aboard the Discovery he and Painiach had a difference of opinion about stopping the rebellion, she did it her way and he joined Dai a week later. I know this isn’t over, Painiach knows they’re on their way back. I won’t be surprised if she suddenly shows up uninvited as always. She knows nothing of Cassie either. Oh well I didn’t send out birth notices, bad me, HA!

We are one day out of Martine and heading for Shahrazad. Minchi is sleeping while I guide this ship along its way. I am Tara, Minchi’s older sister and next in line to rule our people, unless Minchi has a viable male offspring. I guess I should explain some things here; I’ll define a viable male first. Male births are a one in five thousand chance and a male that’s viable, able to reproduce, is a one in fifty chance. Although our society structure is predominately female, one who bears a viable male can leap through the governing ranks, gain special treatment and the child is educated in all aspects of our hierarchy in this aspect males are very important, however males may not govern our people.

But let me be clear females are equally as important. All females born on our world are treated just as well as the few males, you never know which child might mate and produce a viable male. Unfortunately the war we had with the Abh drastically reduced the numbers of males. We fought the Abh to a draw but we almost disappeared as a race. Shortly after the peace was finalized our females started searching the galaxy for mating partners. We found we were incompatible with the Abh due to their genetic engineering it’s a shame too they seem to produce sons with great regularity.

Minchi and I share a common mother but different fathers, unlike the Abh, we do not genetically engineer our offspring, also we do not marry. We find a suitable mate and reproduce; if the child is female we move on to the next mate, if male, arrangements are made to harvest enough genetic material to produce another male.

If that male proves viable; an offer is made for that mate to come to our home world and submit to further testing. Those who accept and prove a genetic match for future male production are well rewarded and held in a high position. They have the possibility of mating with numerous females, if males continue to be born everything stays as it is, but if females are produced further testing is made and the number of mates is drastically reduced. Should no more males be born the mate is given the choice to stay or return to their home. Most decide to leave, although our military head is one who stayed after producing a dozen males, three of those remained viable to this day. He is held in a place of honor and was offered the chance to lead our warriors, all female. Since the war with the Abh, males are forbidden from any activity that could place them in danger.

In the two hundred years since the war our male population has returned to fifty percent of its prewar numbers. Although that is a lower number than what was expected we are no longer expected to seek out any male and mate in the hopes of producing a male child. Unfortunately my little sister is not heeding that request. Minchi, to put it delicately, has a tendency to want to mate with every male she encounters. Given her looks and personality she manages to be a busy person, however her tastes in mates leaves a lot to be desired.

We as a race have several genetic safe guards in our make up, one of them, the most important in Minchi’s case, disallows conception if the differences are too great, it’s one reason we are not compatible with the Abh and for that fact about seventy different races so far. However I’m not sure if Minchi enjoys the mating or she is desperately trying to out do me by bearing a male so she might rule our people but her habits have labeled her as extremely promiscuous among our people.

That is why I’m with her; it is my job to keep her from bedding every male we run across. Although she’s only been refused a few times there is one refusal that bugs the heck out of my sister; Jinto Lynn. I think she’s convinced he’ll deliver the male offspring she desires. I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen by doing nothing, because if the Abh princess he’s married to catches wind of what she wants she’ll fix Minchi once and for all. I hear she is an expert marksperson it’ll be a shame to inform the council of my sisters untimely death.

Plodding along as we are we’ll be at Shahrazad in about five or six days plenty of time for Minchi to decide her next move and I know she’s going to make a move on Jinto Lynn just as sure as I know there’s an asteroid about thirty thousand meters off our port bow.

“Daddy, the flowers are really pretty you’ve outdone yourself today.”

I thank Cassie for her observation and take her hand as we walk back to the Residence. When Lafiel returned with Teel’s body I was just coming out of my own crisis. My health wasn’t very good and I accepted a lot of things I should have questioned. Lina was devastated but the first reports from Martine left us both deeply depressed.

The planet had been ravaged; there is no other single word that describes what befell that world. Refugees were en route, a camp was setup and Lina dedicated her being to helping those whom she couldn’t help before. It took its toll on her; she lost weight, aged years in months and became quite frail until Cassie was born. Her birth was like a renewal for Lina, the two and a half years they were together was remarkable. Lina left this world happy I wish the same could be said for Teel, he was tortured and executed in a most inhuman manner. All because he, like my father, decided to deify the alliance, that’s long over, the rebels still roam the galaxy in greatly reduced numbers, as long as the Abh hold control over space there will be those who oppose them. One day the last might die off and those who’ve been exposed to Duhiel’s reign will finally accept the fact that everyone can live together in peace and cooperation. I doubt I’ll live to see the day but Cassie may.

Cassie pulls me towards the gardens; we spend almost an hour there. Our daughter has an infinity for flowers. Over the years, thanks to Atosuryua efforts, our flower garden represents every world we’ve traveled to. Cassie checks out the brilliant purple snap dragons their fragrance is enticing. She pulls the bloom to her face and inhales deeply.

“Daddy, can we visit the planet where these flowers came from? Can we please?”

I ponder the prospect of the three of us taking a little vacation and then remember the Discovery will be here shortly.

“Cassie as soon as the research vessel arrives maybe we’ll go exploring is that all right?”

Cassie smiles and skips her way to the Residence. I follow a few steps behind wondering what Dai found and why they’re coming back early.

From my position I can see most of this side of the island. Lily and Robert are asleep in front of me. Sobbash is making her way here from the hot houses and Cassie is skipping towards the Residence with Jinto following behind. Oh I spoke too soon it would seem, Cassie has stopped turned towards Jinto and extended her arms. Jinto picks her up looks in my direction and proceeds towards me. A few moments later the three of them are sleeping at our feet just as Sobbash approaches.

“Group nap time I see, Noel, Jinto good afternoon. How long have they been down?”

I answer that Lily and Robert have been down about ten minutes and Cassie just arrived. Sobbash sits in the chair next to me Jinto stands at my other side he watches as they sleep and says.

“If you told me that I’d be witnessing this scene, even a few years ago I’d said you were touched in the head.”

I smile Sobbash chuckles and Jinto keeps watching. Had anyone told me I’d be looking at a daughter of mine five years ago they had better been fast on their feet cause I’d been all over them for that kind of a comment, yet here I am looking at Lily and understanding the meaning of motherhood. But my feelings are over shadowed by the person sitting next to me.

Sobbash has become, you’d have to be here to really understand the remarkable change she’s gone through. To describe it I’d say Roberts’s birth has given her and Samson the ability to relive a lost childhood. I never knew there was this person hiding in that body; I’ve got to admit her present persona would have made her an excellent officer. This completely easy going, calm, understanding person that sits next to me I’ve learned a lot from.

Then there’s Jinto, I have to admit he keeps amazing me with his ability to cope with the hurdles thrown in his way. Teel’s death, Martine’s devastation, and Cassie’s birth all in the short span of five years, then when we all felt his life might become calmer he lost Lina. It’s hard for me to tell but I don’t think Jinto’s over this latest hurdle. I know for a fact if Cassie hadn’t been here Jinto would still be devastated I never realized how much a strength children can be.

As for my self I’m accepting the fact that Lily is here, had I known everything I was going to go through have her given the opportunity, I’d do it all again, suffer all the discomfort but his next time I’d not have the fear that I couldn’t care for a child. Don’t misunderstand me as much as I’d like another child there are no current plans, of course the first time there wasn’t a plan either, to have another child at this time.

“Noel you thinking about a play mate for Lily?”

Sobbash’s off handed remark takes me back to reality. I look at Lily sleeping peacefully consider the look I must have had on my face and answer her as I have since Lily was born.

“Timing is everything I’ll think about it after you and Samson have another passionate rendezvous. I’ll try for two days apart this time that way we can have one big birthday party.”

Sobbash’s face glows red, Jinto tries to ignore her but this time I’ve really hit a set of nerves. She quietly giggles and says.

“Two days apart? If you really mean that then you’ve got some serious catching up to do Noel.”

I’m speechless, Jinto’s stunned and Sobbash is, I take a good look at her this time, she not embarrassed, she’s pleasantly plastered. That’s apple wine she’s sipping on and that silly look, Oh my I’ve seen that look before, damn you Sobbash you better be kidding cause if you’re not I’m not ready to keep up with you.

Sobbash rises from her seat looks at me and says.

“It is a friendly competition we entered into, I’m giving you some friendly advice. Saio has been on this kick concerning a little sister. Samson has been pretty neutral and I’m… well in another year or so Robert will be going to school with Saio it’s going to be pretty quiet around here and I’ve not tired of caring for a small child so…we’ll see what happens, as much as I’d like to have another daughter I’ll take what ever I get and love it with all my being. I’m going to lay down for a bit watch Robert for me until I get back ok?”

I nodded as Sobbash made her way back to her place. I looked at Jinto he was still stunned. He managed to take the seat Sobbash just left and sat down. He concentrated his gaze on the sleeping children then addressed me.

“Remember when you told me that Lily was going to be a possibility? You also told me that you were afraid of being unable to raise her as well. Noel do what you’re comfortable with. If Sobbash is going to have another child keeping up with her is not going to make you comfortable. You’ve already expressed that by the look on your face. The only advice I can give you is what Lafiel and I discussed shortly after Cassie was born. Lafiel was upset because Cassie wasn’t a boy. I told her if at a later date she wanted to try for a son that would be fine with me, but there was no sense in having children just to get a son out of it. I’ll be happy if Cassie’s our only child and I’ll also love any more children we have equally as I do Cassie. Noel follow your heart and also listen to what Risch’s wishes are as well, remember you two are a team.”

Cassie starts to stir Jinto picks her up and carries her back to the Residence. I sit watching Lily and Robert sleep knowing soon they’ll be awake and wanting my attention. I can comfortably handle two four year olds, but can I handle a four year old and a newborn? The breeze comes off the lake the cool fresh air clears my head. It would seem after Lily goes to bed tonight Risch and I have something to discuss.

Samson and I have taken to fatherhood very well. We no longer work the long hours we use to before our children were born however there are those occasions like tonight that we are working a little later than normal.

“You and Sobbash are pretty serious about having a second child aren’t you?”

Samson said nothing as he lowered the communications panel into place. Powering it up we found we were being hailed.

“Come on guys I know you’re there I can see the sunset coming in through the window. So answer me please.”

Dai’s voice was still echoing in the room when we established the link with her. Her transmission was of poor quality the video snowy, the audio scratchy it was like she was on the other side of the galaxy but her position showed her about five hours from Shahrazad.

“Dai can you boost your signal we can barely see you.”

“Sorry no can do, now listen to me carefully, we’ve taken substantial damage and will need to land on the surface when we arrive.”

I tried to question Dai and I was met with a very blunt reply.

“Risch I don’t have the time or power to argue with you. You’ve always said one picture is worth a thousand word, Arisa port scanner engineering section one seventy five.”

The image came upon or screen and you could hear a pin drop. The entire section was a shambles portions of the outer hull were missing a force field of a nature I’d never seen before was keeping space at bay.

“Tay’s aware of our present situation she’s sending help to the landing site. Notify Mia we have casualties and need a support team to meet us. Now I ask you keep Lafiel in the dark until we arrive.”

Dai’s signal was starting to fade I could hear Arisa in the background saying the force field was on the verge of collapse and that communications would have to cease at once. The next thing we heard was static. The Discovery still emitted a transponder signal that was our only way of knowing that they were still alive.

Samson went to the hospital and informed Mia of Dai’s request. I made contact with Tay she was very vague about what she and Dai had discussed. She did say that a team was on its way to the landing area and that was all that was said. Samson returned we made the decision to honor Dai’s request and not inform Lafiel or the council of Discovery’s arrival until they were here. I felt very uncomfortable about all of this Samson shared my feelings as well.

“That was too close Dai another forty five seconds and we’d been a vacuum. The force field is stable for the moment estimated time of arrival is four hours thirty six minutes at present speed.”

We argued about letting Shahrazad know our plight I won out just barely. The ships badly damaged our systems cannibalized to the extent nothing is recognizable. If it was not for our crew and the twenty seven beings we rescued. We would have died a long time ago. Upon arrival I’m ordering our logs jettisoned just incase we don’t survive the landing at least Lafiel will know what we found and how we made it home. Four more hours after the year we just spent getting here four hours is a tick of the clock.

“Dai I want to evacuate sections one forty five through one eight one and reduce the field intensity in that area. Since you’ve had your little chat with home we no longer need crew in that area. I can give us enough speed to shave another hour off our arrival time too. That fuel we took earlier is enough to get us home. I hope Lafiel understands when she gets the bill for our fill up. Of course taking it at gun point will probably cost us extra but we weren’t in a position to argue eh?”

I granted Arisa’s request and acknowledged her statement, Lafiel was going to be quite upset with us, we’ve done a lot of things to survive that given how our contact rules were written, ah hell we threw the book out the air lock a long time ago Lafiel’s going to be highly ticked end of subject.

Normally when we work late Noel and Sobbash bring the kids and a picnic dinner. As the door opened I realized this fact, it was too late. Samson took the children outside while I showed Sobbash and Noel, Dai’s transmission. Their reaction was predictable both of them started on me about not informing Lafiel. I told them it was Dai’s decision and that we are honoring her request until the ships about thirty minutes out then we’ll announce the arrival and transmit Lafiel Dai’s message, the last part edited out, then wait for the fallout.

Sobbash left the room to join Samson and the kids. Noel stood next to me I could feel a slight tremble in her being.

“You okay Noel?’

With tears in her eyes she faced me.

“I’m not, had Lily not been born, I wanted to go on the expedition, I wonder if I’d been there would they be in their present condition or maybe…”

Noel fell into my arms she kept sobbing and wondering what happened to them. When she started blaming her self for not being there that’s when I swatted her bottom.

“That’s enough Noel; we’ve had this discussion before. You can’t be everywhere and fix everything it’s not possible so let this go. Dai will be here shortly and you can have it out with her, well as soon as Lafiel has her say. You guys brought dinner I say let’s eat and enjoy the evening there is nothing any of us can do from here is there?”

Noel gave in, we went outside and had dinner, and I left the proximity warning device on loud in case we got involved and missed Dai’s arrival. I’m glad I did it was just after sunset and we were cleaning up the dishes when it went off. It seems Dai got here about an hour and a half ahead of her E.T.A.

I transmitted Dai’s message to Lafiel, the computer acknowledged it’s receipt and five minutes later my creunoc went wild Lafiel was on the other end, not happy would be one word I’d use to describe her state along with very concerned. She said they’d meet us at the landing field and ended her conversation abruptly I must admit. We cleaned up dinner and made our way to the field as well.

“Mistress the tug is in orbit and awaiting the vessels arrival. Our team has reported that they have secured the landing area and will only admit senior members of the government. I admit while risky landing under the cover of darkness given what we’ve been told is going to be in our best interest.”

Tay sat reviewing the communication and data Dai had exchanged, if what she saw was correct the Discovery was extremely lucky to be in one functional piece and those aboard it alive. Dai’s passengers worried Tay she knew how they came to be on the ship but the data must be faulty as to their origin, what she saw didn’t make a whole lot of sense to her at this moment.

The tug sat in high orbit about Shahrazad, once the Discovery arrived the plan was to surround the Discovery with a force field from the tug then both ships would descend towards the landing field. However upon scanning the ship the tug made a rather startling discovery.

“That’s not possible they can’t generate that amount of energy for any period of time re check your scan.”

Checked three times the same answer each time, the Discovery had some how coupled its Star Drive and plane space power sources and was generating a force field of strength that it was actually holding the ship together. It would be impossible for the tug to supplement the ships force field. This left them in the position of following the Discovery home. They would have a front row seat to the end of this journey.

“Everyone ready, deceleration burn in thirty seconds, stand by to release ships logs instruct the tug to retrieve them for us. Release the log buoy. Start the burn, monitor the force field.”

Discovery plunged into the atmosphere with in ten minutes it had reached the breathable layer. Arisa reduced the field and let fresh air into the ship. The approach and landing was text book once on the ground support stands were placed to keep the ship upright then a barrier was raised to hide the ship from prying eyes.

“We’ve made it back as safely as we could I’d like to thank everyone for their efforts and now just a bit longer before we disembark from the ship.”

Applause greeted Dai’s speech which was heard outside the ship as well. Discovery had several gaping holes in it, sitting there badly beaten but able to return was a testament to those who built the ship and the crew who brought it home.

We arrived as Dai was entering the atmosphere. We watched in awe as the ship approached the field and landed. From first impressions it looked as if Dai had taken on a fleet by her self and some how either won or escaped. We were held at a distance but Risch noticed plasma burns along the length of the ship he surmised Dai had an encounter with some supernatural phenomenon what we were to find out later both of our hunches were accurate. Mia’s staff was allowed on first, several of the crew from the engineering department were being removed from the ship, most suffered from radiation exposure. I became concerned when I saw most of engineering was ill I wondered how Dai managed the feat she had.

At that moment Dai and Scholar approached our position I could see Seelnay, her children and Arisa in the background there seemed to be more crew aboard than I remembered seeing it was then Dai blocked my view and addressed me.

“Lafiel as you can see we had quite a trip, there is something I have to tell you we’ve rescued a crew from a warship and returned them with us. Details of how we found them and how we got back will have to wait for the moment, but if it wasn’t for their skill and assistance we would not be standing here.”

Scholar still blocked my view I saw Dai motion to Ariel and a group of people come out of the shadows towards us. It didn’t take a genius to discern they were Abh but their dress was strange, the uniform I hadn’t seen in years as they approached Scholar stood aside so I could get a good look.

It was at that moment Sobbash and Jinto gasped. I looked up and the Captain of the ship stood before me, the insignia on her jacket, the light played tricks on me for a moment I thought it was. It was… OH MY STARS!

“MOTHER IS THAT YOU?”

To be continued in: Our Accidental Adventure in Time and Space.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."