35_Our Accidental Adventure in Time and Space

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

35_Our Accidental Adventure in Time and Space

Post by Diaho »

Our Accidental Adventure in Time and Space

At that moment Dai and Scholar approached our position I could see Seelnay, her children and Arisa in the background there seemed to be more crew aboard than I remembered, it was then Dai blocked my view and addressed me.

“Lafiel as you can see we had quite a trip, there is something I have to tell you, we’ve rescued a crew from a warship and returned them with us. Details of how we found them and how we got back will have to wait for the moment, but if it wasn’t for their skill and assistance we would not be standing here.”

Scholar still blocked my view I saw Dai motion to Ariel and a group of people come out of the shadows towards us. It didn’t take a genius to discern they were Abh but their dress was strange, the uniform I hadn’t seen in years as they approached Scholar stood aside so I could get a good look.

It was at that moment Sobbash and Jinto gasped. I looked up and the Captain of the ship stood before me, the insignia on her jacket, the light played tricks on me for a moment I thought it was. It was…
OH MY STARS!

“MOTHER IS THAT YOU?”

Plakia Lexshu stood before her daughter, a daughter twenty plus years older than she had remembered, although thanks to the computers aboard the Discovery she knew everything that had transpired in that time, except for the past three years that is.

“Hello Lafiel, I didn’t expect to see you again, well not like this. I …”

Noel had the children with her, Robert and Lily were dozing and Cassie approached her mother from behind. It was Cassie that halted Plakia’s greeting. Plakia took one look at her then glanced at Jinto then back to Lafiel. Cassie wandered towards Plakia her arms extended and said.

“Are you my long lost grandmother?”

That was all it took, Plakia knelt down and faced Cassie picking her up she hugged her and said.

“Yes I am who are you?”

“I’m Cassandra Lynn pleased to meet you.”

What happened next is best explained by one who was there, observing as always, Scholar noted Cassie before anyone else did and figured by her looks whose child she was.

We had just finished the adventure of our lives. Once we were heading back to Shahrazad all Dai could do was worry about how Lafiel would react to, our adventure. I guess I should explain how, well to tell you the truth, I think Tay needs to review our collected data and confirm my hypothesis first. I’ll explain our trip up to the time of our accident then it’ll be up to Tay to explain those facts we are guessing at.

Before we discuss how our passengers ended up where they are today I think I should finish what was started. Plakia held Cassie and the next thing you knew Lafiel was there tears streaming down her cheeks. This meeting was short lived because four of the crew were stored in the transport buffer they had received life ending injuries and to preserve them we did what we had to.

“Dai we’re ready. Tay says the system’s stable enough to attempt reconstruction I figured you’d want to be here.”

Lafiel heard Arisa’s message as did those around Dai. Plakia handed Cassie back to Lafiel and started to follow Dai, Ariel and Scholar back to the ship. Lafiel grabbed Dai’s arm and demanded an explanation, once given she handed Cassie to Jinto and said.

“You might as well go home. I think you’d be underfoot if you stayed. I’ll let you know what happens later.”

Lafiel left us and followed the group back to the ship. Samson, Sobbash, Risch and Jinto took the children and headed back, I wanted to stay, Risch agreed and I went exploring. Tay’s people kept me at a distance from the ship, but I got close enough to see not only weapons damage but the damage that Risch had seen as well. The ship seemed transformed I’m not sure how to explain it but what ever Dai encountered was something beyond the knowledge that I had. I’ll be interested in what Tay has to say about it.

A loud hum is coming from the ship I know that noise anywhere its the matter transfer device, but why did Dai use it for storage of living beings and for that matter how was she able to get it to function properly, it was unstable when Discovery left granted Arisa was going to tinker with it while they were gone but.

The blinding light came through the holes in the hull; the next thing I know four life support tubes are being wheeled out of the ship and loaded into Tay’s transport I manage to get a look in one of the tubes.

No it can’t be but it was. Kufadis lay in the tube his body badly burned; the tube was on full support which meant he was dead when the buffer was emptied. Why did Dai do this? I guess I’d have to wait for the answers like everyone else. I start back towards the Residence; I didn’t hear Lafiel approach me and was startled when she touched my arm.

“I thought I told you to go home, let me guess you just had to have a closer look?”

I nodded and kept walking, Lafiel walked beside me I could tell she was shaken by the events of the past hour yet I could sense that she’s come to accept everything that’s happened.

“Did Scholar mess with your mind? Is that why you’re so calm?”

Lafiel didn’t answer me. We kept walking, as we approach the Residence she told me to stay clear of the Discovery for the next few days until everything is sorted out. As far as our guests were concerned, they did perish over twenty years ago, what this time line doesn’t know won’t affect any living being. Why did she use the words time line? What happened aboard the Discovery, why was a third of the crew of the Gosroth here and alive? There were too many unanswered questions for my liking. My conversation with Risch concerning another child was put on hold before it was even mentioned. I wouldn’t be at peace until I knew what happened.

My ships a wreck, my crew injured some maybe dead. I have rescued, by accident, part of the crew of the warship Gosroth. On top of that I believe we altered history and not by rescuing the crew. There was one other event while we were in that time which might have altered this time but until Tay sorts through all of the data I don’t know. The rescued members left with Tay for the complex. There they’ll receive a full exam and until we know the ramifications of our actions they’ll stay there in protective custody.

I should tell you in the time it took us to return each and every member of that crew has accepted the fact, that in this universe they all died over twenty years ago and to preserve the status quos. They are relegated to staying on this world until they die. At first there were those who didn’t agree but in time and after seeing recent history. They have accepted their fate, I hope.

“Mommy you said she died a long time ago was that a lie?”

Cassie’s words hit me like a bear. I spent the next hour telling her the story of how Plakia should have died. Then I tried to explain how through some quirk Dai managed to rescue her. I didn’t understand what happened aboard the Discovery so my explanation, while acceptable to my three year old daughter, left me feeling very uneasy. I put Cassie to bed and headed to the table outside it was there Jinto found me staring at the moon.

“I heard you talking to Cassie. I just checked on her before I came out she’s holding her bear tightly. I think she’s beginning to accept the fact your mother is here. How are you doing?”

I heard Jinto’s words; my response was reaching for his hand and pulling him alongside me. I place my arm around him and set my damp cheek on his forearm. His response was turning me to him brushing my hair out of my face and drying my tears. He kissed me and held me tight, it was then all of my pent up emotions released. I cried uncontrollably, what was going through my mind had me quite disturbed and I needed to release the emotions before they consumed me. Jinto understood this and kept holding me, after a while I began to feel at ease he sensed this and loosened his hold on me.

“Jinto when was the last time I told you I loved you?”

Jinto took a step back and cleared my hair from my face; the moonlight was bright enough to make it visible but not to show the crying I had done. Jinto gazed into my eyes and smiled. He told me everyday I kissed him; every time I held Cassie he knew that I loved them both dearly. I smiled cleared the final tears from my eyes and I followed Jinto back inside. It was very late and we had a very hectic day ahead of us.

We arrived at the Guardians complex; I now wished I had explored this world a bit more thoroughly. Had I stumbled upon this complex instead of Lafiel, I dismissed the thought from my mind. This was Lafiel’s world and we were unexpected guest from another time. Once my crew was settled Tay took me on a private tour of the complex what I saw was beyond my wildest imagination.

In a hanger I saw the forth warship in its final stages of construction. While not as large as the Gosroth was, this ship packed more fire power than ten similar ships of that class, I was fully aware of their Star Drive system and cloaking capability what Tay wanted to know is how we managed to combine two alien power sources. I smiled and said she needed to talk with Arisa, my chief engineer and Commander Kufadis. They were the one’s who devised the power inverters used aboard the Discovery all I did was supply moral support.

Our tour ended shortly after that. Once I returned to my quarters, I took note of the layout diagram on the wall. It would seem Tay and I saw only about a third of the complex. The diagram had places labeled in three languages Abh being one of them yet there were several places labeled in a language I didn’t understand but in Abh next to it was ‘KEEP OUT’ in bold red letters. It seemed this place had a few secrets of its own, besides the ones Tay shared with me.

“All ships must remain docked at the station until further notice. There has been an accident on Shahrazad and until the situation is stabilized no landings are permitted.”

The message did not sit well with Painiach, she opened a link to the planet and Noel faced her. She asked Noel for an explanation and was told to hold her present position. When Painiach went to argue Noel switched the view to the orbital platform. It has her ship target locked and was powering up. The display switched back to Noel she said any further movement towards Shahrazad and Painiach’s shuttle would be reduced to space dust. The communication ended.

“Something’s wrong on the surface that is for sure. I can’t raise Kufadis. I can’t even find his life sign. So I’ll wait, there better be a good explanation for this or Lafiel’s going to get an ear full.”

Painiach docked with the station, waiting in the shuttle was going to be too confining and the station had an excellent restaurant a hot meal sounded good about now.

I couldn’t sleep, as I wander through the Village I found Scholar, Arisa and Seelnay sitting at a table in a fairly deep sounding conversation my approach halted their speech.

“Ariel you’re up late, or is it early? I’ve lost all track of time.”

Scholar’s sentence made sense to me, since we left nothings made any sense. I’m not sure of the day, date or location at the moment. We’ve done something that is very hard to explain. We moved through time but not in a controlled manner, getting back here, in this span of time, was sheer luck and Scholar’s skill. I can say no more.

“The Captain’s leaving for the complex, we were deciding if we should go with her. Somehow it seems strange letting her go off on her own if you know what I mean.”

I knew exactly what Scholar was getting at, this being home and not in danger is getting hard to accept. The last five years, I know as far as those here are concerned we’ve only been gone a little over three years but if you check the ship it’s been in service a little over five years. Getting back to this time wasn’t as easy as getting to…

“Ariel, don’t try to comprehend it on your own. We ended up there and now we are here. Let those who understand what we’ve done explain it to us, slowly.”

Scholar was right Tay’s people are the masters of time and space or so they say, however if it wasn’t for the information stored in the computers aboard the Discovery we’d still be wandering through space. The decision was made and we got to Dai just as she was leaving.

“Sorry Dai it’s become habit we go where you go.”

Ariel’s words were welcomed I was hesitant about going to the complex by myself, now I had my precious crew, eager to go with me, actually they were probably more bored and a bit scared of being without me than all that eager. We departed the Village and were in the complex before dawn.

“They left the Village awhile ago I expect arrival at the complex before dawn. So Sobbash, are you and Samson expecting?”

Noel’s report was what I expected; Dai had shown signs of stress from the moment she returned, her senior staff going with her made sense as well. What annoyed me was Noel’s off handed question on an open frequency, it was none of her business, at least at this time, whether I was expecting or not. I acknowledge the first part and ignored the second.

Making my way to the Residence I wake Lafiel and convey Noel’s observations. I also inform Lafiel of her off handed question.

“If I remember correctly it was you who started this baby rumor, Sobbash. Looks like you and Noel need to get this behind you I need you two to work together. Just to quell my own curiosity, are you?”

I wasn’t, thanks to Dai’s arrival, I wasted a bottle of apple wine actually it didn’t go to waste. I was very relaxed last night when Dai arrived had I not been I don’t think I could have handled everything I was sensing from those about me. Whatever Dai got into was very serious, the damage to the ship tells that tale, but how they got to the Gosroth that’s the story I want to hear. I know Lafiel does as well.

“Lafiel, Painiach is at the station raising hell about the quarantine, and Minchi’s two days out. We need to get the Discovery some where secure before those two occupy the station together. I don’t think there’s enough room up there to contain those two egos.”

The sun was peeking through the windows. I could hear Jinto stirring and Lafiel sat there my statement had her in a quandary. Tay’s people had operational control over the ship and the relocation was supposed to begin shortly but there was no action from the meadow. In fact I looked like Tay’s people had left the area.

Lafiel stood and walked outside I followed her. Once clear of the Residence she opened a secure link with Tay and had a very animated conversation with her. The look on Lafiel’s face told me how the conversation had gone, not in Lafiel’s favor.

“One day delay, Tay said one more day. Okay I’ll talk to Painiach but Kufadis is responding to treatment however he’s not expected to be stable for a few more days. I know Painiach’s frustration centers around not finding Kufadis life sign. But how do I tell her… “

Rolling her creunoc to her lips she said.

“Noel we’re taking a trip. Get someone to relieve you and meet me at the dock as soon as possible.”

I told Sobbash to watch the store while I was gone. She stopped me before I left and jogged my memory.

“Lafiel I think you’ve forgotten something like…Cassie’s birthday.”

Damn today was my planning day for the party but I needed to tell Painiach in person what Tay had told me. I couldn’t pass this off on anyone else. I stood confused for a moment it was Sobbash’s arm that brought me around.

“I’ll go if you and Jinto can watch the kids. There’s one thing I need to know, can I bring Painiach back with me?”

I thanked Sobbash for her offer but this I had to do myself. With Noel with me we’d be gone a minimum amount of time and I told Sobbash to inform Tay we would be bringing Painiach directly to the complex. I figure Tay could baby sit her better than we could and with Kufadis being there she’d have no excuse wandering off, or so I hoped. I left Sobbash and met Noel we departed shortly after sunrise.

“Mistress the command crew of the research vessel has landed on pad six and is proceeding to the medical facility.”

Tay acknowledged the message and headed in that direction. Her conversation with Lafiel was still fresh in her mind, she knew that Dai had no inkling of what Lafiel had said so Tay assumed this visit was from genuine concern and not ordered by Lafiel. Rounding the corner she overheard the conversation between Dai and the attending doctor and knew it was a visit of concern.

“Captain he’s sedated I’ll not admit you to the room that’s final…”

Tay entered the area and made her own observations.

“Doctor he’s stable, the grafts are taking nicely and the sterilization field is operational. I believe the Captain can see him.”

The doctor gave in and Dai entered the room. Tay took the rest of us aside and started asking questions which none of us were comfortable in answering except for Scholar. With Dai gone, I assumed responsibility I shot Scholar a questioning look to which Scholar returned my look with a quick walk through my thoughts.

“Tay you’ve gone through the data and you’ve got some questions is that correct?”

Tay locked on to Scholar; her telepathic abilities still exceeded Tay’s any attempt to remove information was going to be met with a lot of resistance. Tay relented and said before we left she’d like to discuss her data review. She left us, I am very happy we accompanied Dai here. Tay would have, no I don’t want to think about it. We watched the door Dai had gone through it was agreed that Dai’s visit would last about ten minutes and I would be the one to get her at that time.

I entered the room; Kufadis lay before me, he looked almost as he had before the explosion. I placed my hand on the chamber next to his and said.

“Baka, you said you’d be alright, granted you saved the other three, their injuries while life threatening were not as bad as yours. Kufadis why did you…”

There was movement in the chamber Kufadis opened his eyes and focused on the source of the voice. He smiled.

“Figured I’d never see your face again Captain, I’ll assume we made it back in one piece?”

Dai’s tears fell upon the chamber, Kufadis position his hand next to Dai’s and continued.

“You know you’ll ruin crew moral if they catch you.”

Dai stood wiped the tears away straightened her uniform and said.

“Just you wait Kufadis you can’t hide in the tube forever there will be a resolution to this discussion.”

Kufadis closed his eyes and smiled as best he could.

“Whatever you say Dai just remember be gentle with me I’m freshly regenerated.”

Frustrated Dai banged on the table and let out a chorus of BAKA! The outburst brought Ariel into the room seeing what she saw, she knew she’d been right, but she had important information she was going to deliver.

“You two I swear, look your personal lives are no concern of mine, but I just intercepted a message between Tay and Lafiel. She getting Painiach and bringing her here. You need to chill your romance for a while okay?”

Kufadis folded his arms as one would when they had died. Dai found no humor in his actions. She uttered BAKA once more and left the room. I watched Kufadis as she left, he opened his eyes, smiled, told me thanks and not to worry he’d let Painiach down easy. I left the room without saying a word.

Exiting Kufadis room I found Dai and Scholar squaring off in the hallway. I swear I wish we were back on board the ship our new found freedom is letting us…

“Stop it you two.”

My words brought two icy stares from them. It didn’t matter, the argument was over and now I was the source of their anger.

“Ariel I really wish you would mind your own business and know your place…”

Dai’s like a book, no matter what the situation she resorts to being a Star Forces officer. Something reflex I would assume. But it was decide long ago that we would rely on each other to make logical decisions. Dai’s present course is defying logic. But before I could say another word Scholar headed to the lift and departed the area.

“Ariel stay here I’m going with Scholar. Tay’s on to something and with Painiach arriving soon, someone who knows how to stall her will have to stay here. Arisa and Seelnay will stay with you as well.”

I gave in and watched as Dai followed Scholar. If Tay’s found the reason and the answers to how we ended up where we did then maybe some of the tension between all of us would be gone. As the doors closed, I hoped letting Dai go was the correct course.

The station filled the view screen; Noel made the approach to the area where Painiach’s ship was docked. We moored the shuttle and a noticeably detached Noel faced me.

“She’s not pregnant Noel. You can put that part of the distraction out of your thoughts and help me settle Painiach.”

A smile crept across Noel’s face a more relaxed person left the ship with me. It was good that she recovered because we never saw Painiach’s approaching us until.

“Damn you Lafiel, what’s the meaning of targeting my ship? Why the secrecy? Where the hell is Kufadis?”

We were in the open; people were beginning to take notice of what Painiach was ranting about. I acted quickly; Noel and I escorted Painiach back to our shuttle and departed. We were sub orbital when I finally told her where we were going and why. Nothing was said till we landed, Painiach sat staring out the window, silent, and too calm for my liking.

Dai and Scholar were walking towards us as Lafiel made the overhead. I’m not sure if the timing was good or not but once they were back with us we waited for Lafiel to arrive. Scholar seemed preoccupied and Dai was in a daze. They never saw Lafiel until she was standing before us.

“Dai where is Kufadis room?”

Lafiel’s words went in one ear and out the other. I pointed down the corridor and said the first room on the right. Noel and Painiach headed that way, the nurse tried to stop them but it was not to be.

“Ariel you mind explaining what’s going on?”

Lafiel was pointing at Scholar and Dai she had seen something the rest of us had missed. Dai was seeming out of it because Scholar had her hand locked in her own. Scholar’s preoccupation was more than it seemed as well. She was deep in a mind fusion with Dai. A few moments went by and Dai closed her eyes; at that moment Scholar came to a level of consciousness where she sensed Lafiel was present. She answered Lafiel’s question.

“Tay wasn’t gentle, her probe of Dai’s thoughts left unacceptable results. I’ve helped organize the chaos Tay left, but she will need several days rest to get everything sorted out once more. Ariel, take her to the shuttle and go back to the Village. Make her comfortable I’ll ride back with Lafiel.”

We helped Dai to her feet and headed towards the shuttle. As we were entering the lift we heard a commotion coming from Kufadis room the door shut before we could hear any detail.

“Lafiel take me back to the station I’m leaving.”

Painiach flew past Lafiel with Noel hot on her heels. Lafiel and I followed her to the shuttle. Ariel had just departed and we left shortly there after. There was no conversation aboard the shuttle, Painiach sat there stoic staring into the vastness of space. Upon our arrival we docked with Painiach’s ship, she left as soon as the dock master gave her clearance.

We were about one hundred thousand meters from the station when Noel turned to us and said.

“Kufadis told her to get out of his life and leave him alone, she tried to reason with him but he brought up the revolt and how she suppressed it.”

Noel paused her face grew pale then changed to an angry look I’ve seen before and she continued.

“Lafiel it’s true, she did fire on her own subjects over Kufadis objection. Painiach tried to change the subject but he lay there in that tube pointing at the door. She turned bright red and what you heard was what happened next.”

Noel turned around in the chair she disconnected her self from the ship and moved to a travel seat. I took Noel’s position and headed to the Residence. Lafiel spent her time trying to console Noel it was difficult, the thought of attacking ones citizens, the Abh had great distaste for and Noel was having her own conflict. I’m guessing by what I’m sensing from her she was emotionally tied into the conversation and she saw more than she heard. Her awareness has increased three fold since Lily was born. It looks like I’ve got another student to tutor.

On the approach to the Residence I contacted the Village. My request was simple, I wanted care givers for the children because it was time the adults heard of our journey. I asked Mia to care for Dai and have the rest of the senior staff meet me at the Residence. I don’t think my communication was overheard by Noel or Lafiel; she seemed pretty intent on getting Noel straightened out before we arrived. This was going to be a long evening, but thanks to Tay I understood most of what happened so I can explain it, I hope I can that is, this is going to be a pretty tough audience.

We took Dai to Mia on our arrival at the Village. Seelnay had sat with her the entire trip; once we left the hospital she addressed us.

“I speak from experience after having Tay residing with in my mind I can understand Dai’s present condition. What disturbs me is why Tay felt it was necessary to completely scan her thoughts.”

My last statement brought looks of concern from the rest of the senior staff. I knew it would I’m glad I made my point and I explained what I sensed from Dai on our way back.

“Tay examined every thought and memory Dai had, not only those that dealt with our trip but those thoughts and experiences that make Dai, Dai. I’m at a loss to explain Tay’s actions but I caution everyone here NOT to let her interrogate you. After what I’ve seen I also have a few questions for Scholar as well.”

The message requesting us to join Scholar at the Residence has arrived. Fate is a strange bedfellow here I was trying to find an excuse to corner Scholar and we get an invite to join her. We boarded a transporter and made our way to the Residence I had a bone to pick with Scholar over Dai and there had better be a good explanation of why she had her mind, for lack of better words, trashed.

“Mommy!!!”

It never fails; Lily has a sixth sense, she knows when I’ve been to space. She’s running towards me as I make my way up from the gardens. I kneel and extend my arms to greet her; she wraps her arms around my neck I stand and continue towards the Residence.

“Where did you go this time?”

I tell her I’ve been to the space station and back. I leave out the slight detour to the Guardians complex, there are something’s best left unsaid. Rounding the corner and heading to our cottage I find Risch standing alongside the swing he takes Lily from my arms kisses me and says.

“Is everything alright? The reason I ask is that Sumay and the scribes arrived here about ten minutes ago. They said they would care for the children while Scholar talks with us.”

I place my fingers across Risch’s lips and give him a look that means, enough for now, what Lily need not know will be explained later. Risch nods and we take Lily to Sumay. Samson and Sobbash are just leaving and we join up with them.

“Noel where is Painiach? I thought she was returning with you?”

I stopped and faced them taking in a relaxing breath and clearing my thoughts I explained in enough detail our visit to the complex and that Painiach was on her way home. I also took note of the arrival of the senior staff of the Discovery minus their captain.

“Look I’m not sure why Scholar wants to talk to us but there is something you should know. Tay interrogated Dai and left her mind a wreck. It’s my understanding Scholar stood by and watched it happen without intervening. I want to talk to Ariel before we meet with Scholar so if you’ll excuse me.”

I turned away from them and headed for Ariel she was with Seelnay and Arisa. She stopped as I approached but it was Seelnay who stepped between Ariel and I. The look Seelnay had on her face convinced me it was she I wanted to speak with not Ariel. Seelnay took my hands and looked deep into my mind after what seemed and eternity she smiled looked at Ariel and said.

“She’s a friend we can confide in her.”

After my brief encounter with Seelnay all of my reservations seemed satisfied it was then I realized she was showing me a side of her I’d never seen before she sensed my thoughts and verbalized a response.

“Noel none of us are the same as when we departed we’ve all changed in one way or the other. It’s going to take sometime to explain but considering what we went through we are all stronger and better for it. I’ll stop the conversation here, I want to hear what Scholar has to say then I’ve got some questions concerning the Captain I want answered.”

I was very comfortable with Seelnay’s explanation I was eager to hear what Scholar would tell us and how Seelnay planned on getting at the truth about Dai. I thanked Seelnay and made my way back to Risch, Samson and Sobbash. In the time I was gone Lafiel and Jinto had joined up with them. They took great interest in my conversation with Seelnay. Sobbash asked the question everyone else was hesitant in asking.

“Noel, did Seelnay just probe your thoughts?”

I nodded and smiled. I explained it was the most pleasant of experiences something I never though Seelnay was capable of. I briefly shared what we had discussed and told them to refrain from asking questions till Seelnay had her say.

The time had come we gathered in the conference room in the Residence annex. On one side of the room we sat with Erin and a couple of the council members. On the other side of the room sat the senior members of the Discovery crew. Two chairs were left vacant one for Dai and the other for Kufadis. The main display was lowered from the ceiling and Scholar stood at the podium she tapped the top of it to gain our attention and began.

“I know there are many questions concerning our trip. I’ll try to answer them in the order they occurred. Please let me present the massive amount of data I have first, and then one by one we’ll discuss what transpired.”

The room lights darkened and the course plot of the Discovery’s outbound trip was displayed. Scholar explained how the first part of the trip went. Discovery had followed the old star charts and discovered that the Sol system did exist. However a major catastrophe had befallen the system with some interesting results.

The image changed to the system layout that they expected to find. It was I as remembered from the pre departure briefing a star with eight major planets and one planetoid orbiting around it. That image was reduced in size and place at the bottom of the display. The next image stirred a commotion in the room when it becoming visible. Scholar took the light pointer and explained.

“The sun went Supernova, collapsed and became a Magnetar, a neutron star with a substantial gravity well. The explosion and collapse vaporized the inner two planets, damaged the third and forth planets.”

Moving the pointer to where the fifth planet, a massive gas giant, should have been there was, another sun and a strange array of planets orbiting it.

“It is our opinion that the energy released from the Supernova, caused a chain reaction of events in the area of the fifth planet. It became a star, pulling in the neighboring planets and moons to form a system within a system.”

The images changed once again and Scholar continued her presentation.

“In this image you’ll notice the relationship between the fifth planet pre supernova and it present position. A computer generated projection shows in another ten thousand years the Magnetar will lose much of its attraction and the fifth planetary system will free itself of the orbit it’s now in.”

Another set of images and graphs appear and Scholar starts unfolding the mystery of the sun’s demise.

“Those of you who have studied this system have figured out by now that the sun was of insufficient mass to go supernova. It should have Nova and became a White Dwarf also the resulting shock wave should have vaporized the entire system if it had been a true Supernova. So what happen? Thanks to Tay’s data analysis I can supply a partial answer, later, right now its time to explain our time excursion.”

The display darkened for a moment then another graph and set of images appeared. I heard a gasp from the other side of the room most notably from Seelnay. Scholar looked in that direction for a moment and then continued.

“Scans indicated that the forth planet was being influenced by the gravitational pull from the fifth planet star system but the third planet seem trapped between the pull of the Magnetar and the new system. We proceeded to a point inside the forth planets orbit where we could observe the third planet. As you can see from the images the damage to the third planet is not consistent with the damage expected from a Supernova occurring less than eight light minutes distance. The sole orbiting moon took the brunt of the shockwave. The planet itself suffered atmosphere depletion and the oceans froze or evaporated. A detailed scan of the surface showed a barren wasteland, however deeper probes showed construction of some sort below the surface. A probe was dispatched to study the planet further it was at that time the stellar quake was detected.”

The tactical representation of the quakes origin is displayed; those on our side of the room are stunned. It should have originated from the Magnetar however its epicenter was located about where the first planet should have been. The image fades, the display goes dark and Scholar explains.

“This would be the last thing Discovery’s AI would remember for sometime. Only three of us were directly connected to the AI unit at the time of the stellar quake, Dai, Kufadis and me. Once we realized an object and not the Magnetar was responsible that is when we were hit with a plasma discharge. That discharge damaged the data recorders. What you are about to view is a reconstruction of events taken from the ships primary and secondary AI, plus our memories.”

The main display becomes active once again we see the bridge of the Discovery as the probe is being launched. The launch goes normally until about thirty seconds has passed. It is at this time the auto shields engage and the ship feels the effect of the quake.

Once the epicenter is found a burst of plasma energy is directed at the ship. Evasive maneuvers are done and it glances off the starboard side of the ship. It leaves the AI off line and the weapons system as well. As they recover from the attack another discharges heads for the ship Dai orders light speed and the ship is again struck a glancing blow. As the Star Drive engages a pulse is emitted from the object and strikes one hundred thousand kilometers ahead of the ship. We watch in horror as a Sord forms in front of the ship.

With thirty seconds to the Sord event horizon and nothing responding they manage to establish a space time bubble however entering a Sord at light speed has never been tried. According to everything I’ve learned it should not be possible yet the Discovery is here and the crew survived. Scholar stops the recording and takes to the podium again.

“When we penetrated the Sord, instead of the gray transition normally associated with entrance, we experienced a spectral montage of colors and shapes. I noticed that the ships chronographs were running backwards. Once we were stopped they resumed their normal function. We had gone back over twenty three years in time according to the main computer which was still compromised from our earlier encounter. It took us several hours to get the ship functioning, in that time the navigational system had oriented itself to this space and time. It presented a location which Dai had a double take over.”

Scholar turned to the display and started the recording once more. The bridge was a beehive of activity. The ship was operating on emergency lighting. It was hard to determine who was speaking as the commands and responses were all a blur. After a few moments you could make out Dai’s voice all others seem to have ceased talking. The main lighting came on line and Dai said.

“I see Arisa lived through this as well.” Pressing the comm. button on the command chair she said. “Engineering, damage report.”

“We have shields and the bubble generator, weapons are off line. Cloaking, navigation and transporter show green. I can give you two thirds speed. I have no idea what shape the Star Drive is in, just what the hell happened up there Captain?”

“I don’t know… Seelnay has the navigational system figured out where we are?”

Seelnay; on the screen and sitting in the room showed the same expression, disbelief.

“Dai if I’m to believe what I’m seeing… never mind I’m placing our position on the main viewer so you can see for your self.”

The image appeared on the ships display and an identical image appeared split screen to the recording, the crew said nothing, our side of the room was amazed with what we saw. Not only had Discovery traveled back in time but it was half way across the galaxy from where it entered the Sord.

When I saw Lafiel’s mother among the survivors I decided to study the last voyage of the Gosroth in great detail. I recognized that part of space and that date. Discovery had arrived less than one third of a parsec and four hours from the last known position of the Gosroth. Scholar was looking directly at me, she knew, I knew what was going to happen next. I glanced to my right Seelnay sat looking in my direction as well. I felt Lafiel’s hand seeking mine I turned to find her staring at the display her grip tightening on my hand to the point I whispered in her ear.

“Relax; you know what’s going to happen next as well as I do. I’d like my hand in one piece if you don’t mind.”

The recording started playing again, in this part a decision was made to exit plane space by the most direct route. That course would place Discovery at the approximate battle location just as the Gosroth is lost. Dai sat back in the command chair after she made the decision. Her general demeanor had changed; what ever she had planned it would be four hours before they arrived at the Gosroth.

To be continued in: Rescue and Return.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."