36_Rescue and Return

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

36_Rescue and Return

Post by Diaho »

Rescue and Return

The recording started playing again, in this part a decision was made to exit plane space by the most direct route. That course would place Discovery at the approximate battle location just as the Gosroth is lost. Dai sat back in the command chair after she made the decision. Her general demeanor had changed; what ever she had planned it would be four hours before they arrived at the Gosroth.

As that image faded I sensed a feeling of dismay, it didn’t take long for me to zero in on its source. Seelnay rose from her seat I could see Arisa and Ariel trying to restrain her but it was unsuccessful. She took four steps towards Scholar and stopped. Turning to the rest of us she said.

“Scholar that’s not how it happened, you of all people should know that, or has Tay altered your thoughts as well.”

There was a hush in the room followed by Scholar moving to face Seelnay they locked eyes and I felt a link being established between them. I wanted to know what they were thinking so I completely relaxed. The hand Lafiel was holding suddenly went limp I felt Lafiel trying to ascertain my condition. I took a moment and winked at her then I returned to observing Scholar and Seelnay.

My mother said it awhile back and she was correct. There are too many telepaths on this world. An Abh with their data crystals extended would have sensed what was occurring between Seelnay and Scholar. A telepathic Abh with her data crystals dangling in the breeze had a front row seat to this conversation. The amount of information exchanged in the three minutes they were connected to each other would have taken hours to speak using words. I understood Seelnay’s concern and I also knew what Dai had gone through.

Seelnay has developed another skill, originally a telekinetic; she’s become telepathic as well. Simply put, she can read ones thoughts and still operate devices with her mind. Scholar didn’t know that Seelnay was linked to the AI when they were first attacked and that it was Seelnay who established the space time bubble just before they entered the Sord. Seelnay was aware of the changes in Dai after her encounter with Tay and now she was unlocking what Tay had repressed with in Scholar.

Scholar stood motionless for a moment shook her head and looked towards the display then back at Seelnay.

“Tay’s been practicing while we were gone. I never felt her enter my mind. This makes her a danger to all those around her who are unaware of her newly gained abilities.”

Scholar stopped and realized something else. She thought it loud enough that most in the room caught on immediately. Kufadis and the crew of the Gosroth were guests of the Guardians. Scholar made a move to the console and Seelnay stopped her. She then withdrew a comm. device from her side opened it and said.

“Everything here has occurred as planned, your status please.”

Lala’s voice filled the room she had the crew and Kufadis. They were enroute to the barracks on the southern side of the Village. Her final comment came as no surprise to Seelnay.

“You know it’s not going to take Tay long to figure out who disabled the security system and jammed her computers She’ll be coming for you Seelnay you can bet on that.”

Seelnay smiled, Scholar stood quietly accepting what had happened. However Lafiel was not amused in the least and she vocalized her feelings.

“How dare you leave me out! Conducting an operation without my consent! Why you little…”

Lafiel was to her feet and back to her seat in a matter of seconds, with help from my hand grabbing her waist band. Furious Lafiel faced me and tried to continue her tirade.

“Noel what gives you the right to interfere…”

I fix my gaze to Lafiel’s eyes and entered her mind. I shared a portion of what I got from eavesdropping on Scholar and Seelnay. Lafiel no longer fought me she understood why she wasn’t consulted about this plan and that I only knew of its being when Seelnay touched my mind earlier. In the past months Tay’s people have placed monitoring devices on the island.

When the Discovery landed it destroyed one of the devices. Arisa and Seelnay found it scanned it and left it as it was. Seelnay contacted Lala once they arrived back in the Village and Lala sent a group to survey the island. After finding the monitoring devices and coupled with the images Dai’s mind contained Seelnay realized how Tay was going to alter the facts. Unbeknownst to Tay, Seelnay and Dawn had a complete record of the events that transpired from Sord entry until the final leap back to this time. The time had come for Seelnay to take over the conversation standing next to Scholar she asked everyone to take their seat.

Once seated the doors at the back of the room opened and Dawn Dorin entered the room. I was struck by her appearance she’s almost two years younger than Plakia Pratt is yet she looked older than her sixteen years would indicate. Seelnay took a pouch from Dawn and asked her to take a seat along with the rest of the crew. Returning to the podium she produced a set of data crystals inserted one of them in the reader and said.

“What you’ve seen up to Sord penetration was correct. Before we continued I’d like to explain a few seeming unrelated facts you might find of interest.”

The image on the screen shows the cumulative time in service for the Discovery, the image, dated four days ago, showed a little over five years time in service. The screen splits and another image appears it is of the ‘back up’ computers installed just before Discovery’s departure. That image sent a cold chill down my spine, I know there is a reason for this feeling but it’s locked in my subconscious, well it won’t be for long Seelnay’s about to open many doors.

The commotion in the room continued until Seelnay tapped the podium for attention. Once quiet she started an explanation that took most in the room by surprise.

Discovery’s original mission was; to seek out the Sol galaxy, explore the third planet and catalog anything of interest we found along the way. That is what we all agreed to do, however we had a second secret mission aboard the ship as well, it concerns those computers we were carrying along with us.”

Those words sent the room into a frenzy. Seelnay growing tired of the constant interruptions took a page from Lafiel’s book and discharged her laser pistol at the ceiling, set on stun it made a lot of noise but did little damage. All you could hear was breathing in the room after that.

“Now that I have your attention I’ll continue. Discovery was a purpose built ship that is a well known fact, besides being a research vessel; it had time travel capabilities, all experimental. We were test subjects and in Tay’s opinion expendable. However to gain the results they required we needed to stay alive long enough for the data to be transmitted back that is why the ship was over built. One thing Tay didn’t figure on was time travel through a Sord. I’ve accessed Scholar’s thoughts, combined them with what I know as fact and I can give you a partial explanation of what happened. The rest of it is stored in a satellite orbiting this world the ‘weather’ one that was placed in orbit just before we left it too has another purpose.”

Her comm. link became active she opened it and Atosuryua’s voice was heard.

“We’ve arrived at the coordinates there is a force field around the object do you know how to disable it?”

Seelnay moved to the console and inputted a command sequence. Atosuryua answered that the field had dropped. Seelnay instructed her to retrieve the object disable its transmitter and bring it to the island avoiding the northern hemisphere of the planet. The communication ended yet Seelnay seem disturbed she established contact with Lala once again.

“The object is retrieved is the subject still blind?”

Lala answered in the affirmative and added something that Seelnay was expecting.

“Dai checked herself out of the hospital and is headed your way. I’m certain your hunch was right Seelnay. Good luck if you need help signal we are closer than you think.”

Seelnay turned to the group and made a request that brought looks of disbelief from those there.

“We are adjourned. Everyone go outside and wait for Dai’s arrival. As far as she is to know this meeting never occurred, be pleasant to her, answer her questions, but let nothing of what you’ve heard here be disclosed.”

As we left I saw the senior staff of the Discovery in a conference at the front of the room, they exited by the side door and weren’t seen till later.

“Doctor, Dai Lexshu’s EEG just pegged she’s leaving her room should I have her detained?”

Doctor Sasoum pressed the link and said to let her leave undisturbed. She knew that stopping her was not in their best interest. Pressing a second link she said.

“Subject is on the move probably heading for your location better notify party master of the movement.”

She closed the link and looked at Mia normally she would have a confused look on her face but this time her patient was the one on the loose.

“I’ve never seen such a deeply planted subconscious suggestion before. We had her knocked out; most normal people would have been out for hours. Yet she woke, dressed and walked out of her room as if she just had a nap. You think Tay’s controlling her don’t you Doctor?”

Doctor Sasoum said nothing she kept looking at Dai’s EEG. The impulse that hit her brain she should have sensed. Sasoum wondered if Dai was carrying around something she shouldn’t be. The only thing that she didn’t scan was Dai’s alpha. She opened a link and forwarded that information along as well. Closing the link she asks Mia to join her for dinner as she didn’t want either of them to be alone until Dai was back in custody. Doctor Sasoum has a very healthy respect for Tay’s abilities and approached everything with caution when she was involved. Arming herself they left together and had dinner.

We had put as much distance between ourselves and the Residence as was practical. When Dai arrived; it was our intention to give her the impression that the meeting was about to start instead of in recess. I took stock of those with me and made a discovery I confronted Dawn about.

“Where’s Donald? You were to keep an eye on him. So, where’s your brother?”

In all the confusion Dawn had failed to tell me everything that happened at the complex. She guessed now was as good a time as any.

“He’s on his way here from the space station. When we rescued Lafiel’s mother she told us that Tay had shown her the forth warship and said it was operational. Lala determined if that was true then removing it from the complex was in our best interest. Since there aren’t many places to hide a warship it’s berthed with the other three ships at the station. The control systems weren’t completely functional so Donald and the engineer manually flew it to the station. He should be back with in the hour, mother.”

I didn’t know what to say or do. Half of me wanted to praise Dawn for her actions and the other half wanted to scold her for turning her brother loose in a warship. Yet Donald had been seeking the chance to show he’s a responsible twelve-year old. Since I haven’t heard otherwise, I’m assuming they arrived safely and are on their way back to Shahrazad.

Scholar had overheard enough of Dawn’s conversation to take matters into her own hands. When Seelnay was finished listening to Dawn she noticed Scholar was on the comm. she picked up the last part of the conversation.

“The ship is hard moored and completely powered down. Restrict access until someone from here can get there to examine it. Have the other three ships go to alert condition one. I’m sure Tay was unaware of us taking the ship but incase she left a surprise aboard I want the station and the other ships on alert.”

Scholar ended the link and gazed skyward I could feel her reaching out to someone but I didn’t know who.

“Lafiel will soon be aware of what has happened it also seems Dai has arrived at the Residence and is inquiring about us. I think we should return and fix what Tay has done, don’t you think so?”

Dawn left us to get Donald. We made the walk back to the Residence, after seeing what Tay did to Scholar, I was afraid what Dai would be like seeing she had more than her memories suppressed. But which one of us was going to be the one Scholar or myself I’d seen Dai’s mind already it was a jumbled mess.

I was sitting with Lafiel when we heard the hover sled land it took only a few minutes and the physical being known as Dai Lexshu appeared on the path that lead from the docks to the Residence. Scholar had just left her message about the forth warship and I informed her of Dai’s arrival. Before Dai saw us I took Lafiel behind the annex and told her of Scholar’s message. Lafiel did not seem fazed by the message and said as soon as the pressing matter was resolved she’d send Risch and Arisa to look at the ship.

Returning to the front of the annex we found Dai and Erin in a very heated discussion the subject was Scholar’s whereabouts.

“Dai calm down Scholar said she’d be here. I have the feeling something has delayed her because we’ve been waiting for sometime now.”

As on cue the senior staff of the Discovery appeared on the path that lead from the lagoon to the Residence. The next sequence of events happened so fast that hardly a word was said just actions. Dai saw Seelnay and made a bee line towards her with the intent of doing her serious harm. Before anyone could say a word Dai lay stunned at Seelnay’s feet.

Sobbash has sensed the danger and fired on Dai without warning. Lafiel moved to disarm Sobbash that’s when a voice not Dai’s spoke.

“You think you’re pretty smart Seelnay. You’ve managed to see my deception. Well you’ll not live long enough to relish in your victory.

With that Dai fell silent, Scholar made her way to Dai’s side and removed her alpha. Tay had released her but the promise of a swift death towards Seelnay was about to become reality. The first volley fell short of their position and Seelnay yelled for everyone to scatter.

Tay’s monitors were more than listening devices it would seem. The blast came from the closest device followed by a massive explosion. More explosions were heard around the island and then the comm. on Seelnay’s hip became active.

“That’s the last one, sorry we were late but things happened a lot faster there than we figured on.”

Seelnay stood and looked towards the lagoon she could see the detail making their way up the path. This was a wrinkle no one had foreseen. Tay’s become violent this could not continue; although Lafiel had control of most of the planet there was the complex and the secrets it contained. The detail came into view and the second surprise was revealed.

Lala lead an all Abh group consisting of those from the Gosroth and others she’s picked up through the years. By the time they had arrived most everyone was standing and looking in that direction. The only ones not standing were Scholar and Dai. Scholar was inside Dai’s mind trying to correct the harm Tay had done. Erin and the senior staff had formed a ring around them and Seelnay approached Lala.

“Where’s the division at? Why subject these persons to…”

Before Lala could answer Plakia Lexshu spoke.

“If we are going to live here then we are also going to defend this world.”

Moving from her location Plakia entered the ring formed around Dai and Scholar. She knelt next to Scholar and took Dai’s hand. She looked around and spoke to those who would hear her voice.

“Today I’ve learned a new definition of evil. What has been done to you is inexcusable and I will, to my last breath, avenge this dishonor.”

Plakia went to leave as Dai squeeze her hand and uttered.

“Do not try to do this alone. Tay’s too powerful. Help my friends, my crew, to correct this wrong.”

Dai closed her eyes and rested Scholar asked for help moving Dai to the annex. As Dai was being moved Scholar, Erin and Plakia approached Seelnay and Lala, who by that time had been joined by Jinto, Lafiel, Samson, Sobbash, Risch and I. It was Seelnay who spoke.

“I’m sorry this had to happen the way it did. When I saw the extent of Tay’s influence I suspected everyone of being compromised. I found Lala was in the dark and with her help we sorted out most of the mess.”

Seelnay motioned for Lala to join them and continued.

“Lala, I ask again, where is the division, and why aren’t you with them?”

Lala opened a link and asked that question. The answer surprised all there except Lala.

“The complex is secure; their communication with the outside is cut off, however Tay and the three Wise Ones are no where to be found. We are continuing to search the complex.”

“Sorry Seelnay once we saw what was going on I took it upon my self to secure the complex. I had a feeling Tay would get away but remember it’s becoming winter up there unless Tay has shelter she be coming back soon enough.”

Lafiel started in on Lala about her actions and Lala’s response was.

“To preserve, protect and defend. Lafiel, the complex posed a clear and present danger to this world. I acted within the context set forth and approved by you and the council.”

I noticed Erin, Seelnay and Scholar had moved away from the conversation. They were deep in their own discussion I listened in and what I heard was scary. Scholar expressed the opinion that the Tay we just dealt with was not the Tay we knew. Scholar also found it interesting that the Wise Ones were missing as well. A theory was formulated that the Wise Ones had taken their revenge upon Tay by fusing with her.

“Look at it this way, Tay’s mind resided in Seelnay for a brief period, even Seelnay didn’t recognize the Tay we met at our arrival and what has happened fits with the Wise Ones thought patterns more than Tay’s. Don’t you agree?”

Scholar and I had the Wise One invade our thoughts and thinking back on what I experienced; Scholar was making a lot of sense. While I never experienced Tay for more than a fleeting moment. Those three; the telepath, the empathic and the telekinetic while scary separately, if they’ve managed to combine their powers through Tay then we are in a lot of trouble. Seelnay’s hand touched my shoulder I was stunned for a moment then she asked me to have everyone return to the meeting room explanations were about to follow.

The complex was under our control but I felt something wasn’t quite right. I guess I should introduce myself to you I am Sunzi second in command of this division an old and trusted friend of Lala Shangal. I knew her before her wrongful imprisonment on Lobnas II and joined her a few years after she was freed. We’ve been together since then. Part of my uneasiness comes from Tay still being on the loose along with the Wise Ones. There is so much bad blood between them yet, for the past years, they worked together. One would almost forget the hatred they felt for one and another.

This complex is massive we’ve scanned it once in passing looking for more life forms. We’ve found none, the three hundred and eighty residence of the complex are being detained in the large hanger on the upper level. Now we are searching the balance of the complex with a wide band scan. If there were any living beings in the area this scan would affect them. That’s why we looked for everyone first and moved them to a safe place. Over the years the complex has been explored and scanned but never in the detail that we will on this occasion. The scans will take several hours and it will be a few hours more till we have understandable results.

The sun was setting as we entered the annex once again. This time Scholar sat with the crew as Seelnay took the podium. Reminding us that what we saw up to Sord penetration was accurate she then started the records that she and Dawn had made.

The obvious difference was even though the ships position was the same the crew did not have a clue of the significance of the day nor the year until Dai had ordered the tactical display active and plotted the course to the closest Sord exit. It was Kufadis, acting as science officer, who fit the pieces together. His rather strange outburst is captured for all to witness.

“I’ll be damned. Captain I direct your attention to the main viewer. I’ve overlaid our course and accessed historical data for this time period. The flashing box should be of interest to you.”

Dai rolled the cursor over the box and clicked it. The description said; Gosroth lost approximately 2327 hours. Dai checked the current time and determined that the Discovery would be in tactical range just before the Gosroth was attacked. She opened a link and said.

“Arisa I need weapons on line in three hours is that possible?”

Arisa's answer was direct and to the point.

“Not a chance Captain. I’m fresh out of miracles. I still don’t understand why we didn’t blow to pieces when we crashed into the Sord and you want weapons? Are you planning on going to war or something?”

In the mean time Scholar and Kufadis had made their way to where Dai was. A spirited conversation ensued with Scholar finally stating.

“You can not change the past. The consequences of your pending actions, especially in this case, will forever alter the universe we came from. I can’t let you do this.”

Kufadis echoed the same feelings it was then Dai looked at Scholar and said.

“You didn’t look into my thoughts did you? You assumed by my request we were going to help the Gosroth win? I maybe a bit naïve but I know that changing the past, in this case, is unacceptable. What I wanted to know if we would be able to defend ourselves incase we wonder across more of the fleet that destroyed the Gosroth. We’ll arrive in time to record their destruction its all we can do.”

Dai sat in the chair slow tapping her fingers on the arm rest. Then suddenly she rose from the chair, instructed Seelnay to plot a course to the battle field and maintain cloaking. She took Kufadis with her and left the bridge. The image stopped and Seelnay addressed us.

“Internal sensors and recorders were still off line when Dai ventured to engineering. What she did down there was devise a plan to rescue as many of the crew of the Gosroth as she could. Using the transporter she figured that up to thirty could be rescued at one time. We know from the data stream sent right before it exploded that the tenth enemy ship did the damage that resulted in the ship being lost. Dai’s plan was simple watch for the damage to become critical and after the ninth ship was destroyed, remove the crew. The ship would explode and history would be satisfied how ever Dai figured if one life was saved then all the effort would not have been in vain. A noble thought and as you have seen well executed, I will not share those images right now what I want to delve into is how we got where we were and how we got back.”

Doctor Sasoum sat next to the bed in the annex. Dai was still unconscious Seelnay had summoned her once Tay’s influence was remove. The Doctor had brought help with her as well; Kufadis lay in a bed across the room, his strength slowly returning to him. Sasoum figure that having him here when Dai came to would be the best medicine. Little did she know how true that thought was going to be?

“Mia everything here is under control, is the detail with you?”

Mia said that she was overly secure and that there had been no sign of Tay since the complex was overrun. She asked how Dai and Kufadis were doing. The Doctor reported Dai was still out and Kufadis had sat up twice trying to get out of bed. She had to threaten him with sedation to keep him still. Mia chuckled being overrun by security was probably a better situation than the Doctor was experiencing.

“Doctor, can I get out of bed, I feel fine?”

Doctor Sasoum approached Kufadis scanner in hand. One pass and the readings confirmed he was well enough to stay up for a short period of time.

“Just for a few minutes if you begin to feel dizzy go lay down understand?”

Kufadis nodded, he placed his feet over the edge of the bed and slowly lowered himself to the floor. Bracing against the bed he took a few small steps towards where Dai lay. What must have seemed like an eternity passed before he was standing along side her. He braced himself on the edge of the bed, leaned forward and places a kiss on Dai’s lips. Trying to right him self is when he faltered, however Doctor Sasoum was standing alongside him by now and steadied him.

As the Doctor went to help Kufadis back to his bed Dai stirred. Opening her eyes and trying hard to focus she saw Kufadis a smile crept across her face and she said.

“Where are we? Did we rescue all of them?”

Dai drifted off to sleep once again. The Doctor helped Kufadis back to his bed and got him settled. Once that was accomplished she contacted Mia to inform her of Dai’s sudden progress. Mia’s response to the news left the Doctor thinking.

“He kissed her on the lips and she awoke, eh? That’s the problem with you Abh, you always look at everything logically, when you get back here there’s a story I’d like you to read; about a prince, princess and a kiss I think you’ll find it fascinating.”

Sasoum closed the link; little did Mia know the Doctor had been studying the premise on her own as of late. Sitting back in her chair along side Dai she returned to reading her book titled “The Healing Power of Love”.

“After rescuing the crew of the Gosroth we proceeded in the direction of Clasbul our intention was to return to normal space and determine how we got to this time. Since we didn’t require refueling we bypassed the Febdash territory, when the communications shuttle from the Gosroth arrived at Clasbul we were there cloaked and observing.”

Seelnay activated the viewer; the communications shuttle is just exiting the Sord. I’m sitting next to Lafiel watching a feat of flying only I thought I could do, then I remembered Lafiel was sixteen and fresh out of flight training she was still exploring her limits. Part of me felt sorry for Jinto though that had to be quite a ride. The communications shuttle was last seen entering the atmosphere of Clasbul. Seelnay then switch to technical data and continued to explain.

“While in plane space Arisa isolated the Guardians computers from interacting with our main system. Once we were in normal space they activated automatically since we controlled them we determined what their purpose was. They tried to tie into the sensors and we allowed that once they figured out where we were and that we had traveled twenty plus years into the past they started displaying a complex formula which in essence is what we used to get back here.”

The display changed again, this time, a black hole with associated gravity well, was shown and Seelnay started the demonstration as she explained.

“That energy pulse we encountered in the Sol system was supposed to trigger a black hole. Unfortunately interactions with the ship cause it to create a Sord opening instead. When we went to light speed is when the rest of the equation was executed. As you can see the experiment was to interact with the gravity well causing a sling shot effect which at that moment the computers the Guardian placed aboard would have catapulted us approximately three hundred years into the past.”

There was dead silence in the room all you could hear was breathing a quick glance around the room told me the demonstration had left the desired effect. We were stunned. How the Guardians could do such a thing; I was slowly beginning to boil. This silence was finally broken by Seelnay changing the display to something every Abh child knew before they were ten; Sord properties.

“Sords are not gravity wells since the computers aboard the ship weren’t program to take that into their computations they shutdown on Sord penetration which is probably why we survived. We tried several times to recreate the conditions that had sent us there with the same result; utter failure. We were missing critical information and the decision was made to return to this world and see if the data was stored in the computers at the complex. Little did we know what lie ahead, we spent a month in the Clasbul system before we headed back here; this world looked very different twenty years ago. We managed to find and copy the data we were missing. When the data was complied, we were shocked to find that for the computers to send us back to this time, we’d have to repeat the entire experiment. That wouldn’t work we were twenty years off, that’s when we decided to dissect the data and formulate our own equations. That process took another six months in that time we kept moving avoiding conflicts between us and the warring forces. We were lucky that most of the major battles occurred in plane space however we did get to see Admiral Spoor up-close on one occasion. It seems she had a battle near Deltoke that went unreported. We were orbiting the far planet when all hell broke loose.”

The display came to life just as the first mines were exiting the Sord. I should note the outer planet lies in the shadow of the Sord. Dai was using the interference to hide the ship instead of consuming energy keeping the cloaking device running.

“Mines exiting the Sord from both sides, we’ve been targeted.”

As Discovery repelled the attack and cloaked, we find Arisa had propulsion off line. Discovery sat locked in orbit cloaked and shielded unable to move.

“Arisa we need to move now. Get us out of orbit we are a prime target.”

It took several minutes for the engines to develop enough thrust to move the ship in that time a destroyer got too close to their position. Kufadis targeted the ships main power and it vanished in a blinding flash. About that time the ship broke orbit and disappeared into the confusion of the battle. Seelnay stopped the image there and said.

“We suffered a lot of damage to the power systems when we entered the Sord. Arisa working with the crew members of the []iGosroth[/i] were attempting to combine the switching systems. That attack and the damage caused by slamming the power back on set us back another six weeks. We needed parts and we knew where to get them. Lafiel what we did we had to I want you to know that upfront.”

The display started playing the record again, we see Kufadis and Seelnay looking at a display of data and in the background Dai’s voice is heard.

“History states that the draw between the Abh and the UMK should be underway. Given our present location and the shipping manifests for this period our plan is to raid a convoy and procure the parts we require. Using the transporters we plan to remove the parts without anyone knowing.”

Seelnay stopped the playback and continued the dialog.

“Supply convoys were being redirected from the battlefield to remote bases. Those bases became the ship assembly yards for the push to rearm. We raided a convoy carrying surplus supplies, what we took were extras at that time. I know in future they would be missed but since it was in the three year build up we considered our borrowing of them acceptable.”

I figured Lafiel would be angry since the ships that were raided belonged to her family yet she sat there clam and collected. Little did I know she had been involved in a similar act on Clasbul during that time, so she let it slide? Maybe, I don’t know, she was really calm.

Seelnay concentrated her gaze towards Lafiel her lack of response to the statement left Seelnay feeling uneasy, however she had started this conversation and was going to finish it.

“We acquired the parts we needed and spent the next weeks merging the power sources. The reason we did this was we needed create our own black hole and return to this time. To that end we also took two of these.”

The image of a type three planet killer appeared upon the screen, it was then Lafiel showed emotion, a lot of emotion.

“You took one of those and modified it to create the black hole? Do you realize what you’ve done? The effects of that explosion will remain for decades to come. How could you do something so, so…?”

Lafiel was on her feet she made the move towards the podium and I grabbed at her again. Although I failed to return her to the seat she did stop her advance. She glared at Seelnay and Scholar; Seelnay held her ground and explained that what Lafiel was thinking was correct to a certain extent.

“Not a black hole, Lafiel, a modified traversable wormhole, you must realize that we entered a Sord, a type of wormhole, at a speed the physics said was impossible and traveled back in time which according to all the laws of current physics is also unproven. However the grand experiment worked, well sort of, we traveled back in time, brought back proof of that travel, then returned, not very safely though. The ship shows our mistakes as well.”

Seelnay changed data crystals. The charts displayed were understandable to a point, according to what I saw they moved the Discovery to a remote location and generated an artificial Sord something we had studied in the academy but was unproven till now. Their first attempt using a toned down planet killer generated a wormhole with an accelerated mouth but it collapsed soon after it was created. The ship was too close when the collapse occurred and the damage to the ship was extensive. It was at this time Kufadis and three members of the Gosroth crew were critically injured in an attempt to restore power to the shields.

Seelnay took in a deep breath and exhaled it; she placed a schematic of the redesigned power grid on the display. Granted I’m no engineer, but I do have a basic understanding of ship board systems. What I saw was not only amazing, but very scary; I glanced to my right Risch sat there studying the image the color slowly draining from his face as he did. Seelnay explained the accident as best she could and how those four individuals wound up in the transport buffer.

“Once the grid was back on line we decided that an artificial wormhole was more of a danger than finding a natural one and taking our chances. Our search leads us to this system and its neutron star.”

A part of space I’ve never seen before appears on the screen an elaborate graphic and formulas appear as well. Simply put they were going to try the original shear away maneuver with a few modifications. However those modifications would eventually cause the damage to the ship that we all saw on its return.

“We found out later it’s easier to travel in predictable segments of time rather than one big swing at it. We overshot our target the first time. We ended up about one year from now and on the other side of the galaxy. The short correction was easier but we tried to stop the process too rapidly that’s when we almost tore ourselves to bits. All of the data is here for you to study I know in time this is a perfectible project however I’m not sure if traveling in the past is desirable. And as for venturing into the future; it’s not for me I want to make my own future and not have it shaped for me.”

Seelnay stood there for a moment in that time Scholar had made her way to the podium and stood next to Seelnay. Scholar opens the discussion with what Seelnay, Erin and she were discussing earlier.

“We have a problem that must be solved as soon as possible. I have reason to suspect that the Wise Ones are controlling Tay. I feel they are going to exact some sort of vengeance upon some or most of us. It is imperative that Tay and the Wise Ones are found…”

The commotion from outside the room grows louder. Lala enters the room and moves towards Scholar. She has news that will change what Scholar has been saying drastically.

“I’ve heard from the complex, the bodies of the Wise Ones were found in the stasis room. As they were being scanned the system shut down. Had our people not been there they would be corpses by now. The chambers are on manual and the bodies are stable. Scholar you know what that means don’t you?”

Scholar knew, her worst fears had just been confirmed. Tay was now a merged being and the reason she’s not being picked up on the scanners is her new masters can alter physical properties. Tay is probably invisible to all electronic devices. This also means she’ll be impervious to most physical intervention as well.

“Warn the complex, consolidate our forces, consider Tay a class five threat and execute the appropriate defensive plan. Lala we can’t spread our forces too thin, protect the Village, we’ll devise our own defense and the once Tay surfaces we’ll figure out how to deal with her…

Seelnay grabs Scholar’s arm she is visible upset and says.

“She’s close, very close, I can sense her presence.”

Tay halted her movement towards the Residence. Seelnay sensing her presence took away the surprise element from her plans. Retreating towards the lake her captors assaulted her thoughts.

“That woman must die as long as she lives we will be unable to carry out our plans... Who would have though being merged with Tay so long ago would give her the ability to sense her? Maybe we should abandon the plans and retreat towards… That’s a good question where to go the complex has been overrun. There is no shelter between here and there except for those caves near the lagoon and their sensor array covers that area... So where to go or do we take our chances and continue with the plan?”

While her captors argued in her mind, Tay was formulating her own plan. A plan she’d have little time to execute. Although she’d manage to keep them from completely controlling her she was losing the battle it was a matter of hours before they would finally overwhelm her and take total control of her. When that happened, their merged powers and her natural abilities would make them almost invincible. It was the almost Tay planned on exploiting but she would need Seelnay’s help in defeating them once and for all.

The argument raged in Tay’s brain while she slowly changed her position. Just a few meters were all she would need and the sensor net would locate her. That would give Seelnay the chance to help that is, if her message was received when she had approached the Residence.

The annex was a buzz with activity it was then a proximity alarm sounded. Jinto made his way to the console, silenced the alarm and determined the location and type of intrusion. Seelnay was standing next to him as he pinpointed the source.

“She wasn’t lying; she said she’d give her location away. It’s up to me to do this; Lala you’re with me the rest of you stay here.”

Lafiel placed herself between Seelnay and the door. She was not letting Seelnay pass before she knew what she had planned. Seelnay was in a hurry she gave Lafiel a mental picture then with a pass of her hand moved her out of the way. I could sense Seelnay as she passed me I never had seen her so focused on anything before in my life. Lafiel fell back I steadied her. Before anyone knew it Seelnay was gone.

“That power? Noel was that power coming from Seelnay?”

I nodded; it was then two things happened, one Scholar approached us with the intention of explaining something to us and the comm. link opened throwing a snag into everything occurring at that moment.

“Shahrazad you receiving shuttle one six four two? We are requesting permission to land. Whether you give it or not, we’ll be landing shortly.”

Minchi’s voice boomed through out the room. She was the last thing we needed right now, but at least this time she gave us a little warning, very little and she was going to arrive just as Seelnay was… Oh no!!

To be continued in: Telepathic Confrontation

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."