38_The Unwelcome Guests

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

38_The Unwelcome Guests

Post by Diaho »

The Unwelcome Guests

My sister, as much as I love her, can be such an inconsiderate pain in the butt. ‘Yes Minchi I noticed it I’m finally glad you’ve noticed it too.’ How I would love to say that to her but, no I’m going to play dumb once again, and see if she really grasps what has happened to us or is she off in another dimension. I guess it’s time to find out.

“Now that you mention it something doesn’t seem right. Have you got an idea of what it is?”

Minchi opened her mouth and proved how out of tune she is with her surroundings. Oh yeah, what’s bothering my little sister, ready for this. Ok here it is.

“You realize Lafiel hasn’t fed us, nor given us a proper welcome, in all the time we’ve been here? How very rude of her.”

Right after we were revived Scholar asked us to go back to the conference room, I thought we were in recess I guess not. Actually what Scholar told us had no bearing on their trip, she explained what had happened while we were sedated, so to speak, how else would you explain what we felt? It was like we had surgery and awoke to hear how it went.

The side door opened and our second surprise walked in, Kufadis looking as well as he did the day he left three years ago with him was Dai, Arisa, and Seelnay looking quite exhausted. Scholar turned the meeting over to Seelnay who laid out in detail what had transpired. When she got to the subject of Tay being transferred into Captain Lexshu that’s when Lafiel began to grumble, quietly at first, then as the balance of the story was revealed Lafiel became a center of attention. Seelnay was finishing when Lafiel stood and yelled at her.

“What gave you the right to place Tay within my mother? How could you do such a thing? Did you even consider what might happen if your hunch went wrong…”

The door opened and three more people entered the room there was a gasp then this.

“That’s enough Lafiel as you can see I’m well, I appreciate you caring enough to defend me but I’m capable of speaking for myself.”

Captain Lexshu, Tay and Doctor Sasoum stood next to Seelnay. Seelnay continued her explanation, and then turned the conversation over to Scholar who had some disturbing facts to present.

“We’ve conducted our examination of the data Dawn returned with. Putting it together with what the onboard computers contained coupled with what Dai experienced while merged with the Wise Ones. We now know what our second mission was.”

Scholar moved to the viewer control panel, inserted a data crystal and began her presentation.

“Our target was a small observation post on the fringe of the Zon Empire two hundred and seventy years in the past. Our mission was to obliterate that outpost leaving the impression that the Abh Empire had launched a sneak attack then vanished without a trace.”

Scholar changed the view; a time-line chart appeared most of us knew from our history studies the importance of that time frame. The Empire had just defeated a formidable opponent and the Star Forces were in disarray. Had the Zon attacked the Abh at that moment galactic history would have been for ever changed, the Abh would have suffered a stunning defeat, everything we knew today would not exist. So this was the Wise Ones revenge. I thought that would be all there was but Tay stood and let the ‘other shoe drop’ to quote Jinto’s heritage.

“Stopping that mission only solves half the problem. It would seem the Wise Ones were conducting secret negotiations with high ranking members of the current Zon government. We have yet to find out what their plans were.”

All you heard was breathing in the room the silence, shock, was stunning. Risch grabbed my hand and held it firmly. I could see Sobbash was standing next to Samson she was looking stoic he was a little more panicked. I couldn’t see Lafiel she was looking at Tay. Captain Lexshu moved towards Lafiel and said something I couldn’t hear clearly. They left by the side door as Scholar finished.

“What I’m going to say is very important. Until we know who the Wise Ones were talking to we must assume that Tara’s and Minchi’s visit is not what it appears to be. We need to keep them in the dark until we know who the Wise Ones were talking to and how far the plans have been executed. Are there any questions?”

We left the room and went outside as for questions. We all were Star Forces trained, when facts are presented in the way they were, there was no reason for questions. However I came upon a most interesting exchange between Lafiel and her mother.

“Hold on mom. Let me explain a few unrecorded facts to you here and now. One, I am no longer a Princess of the Empire nor will I ever sit on the Jade Throne. Two, I cry in public I’m not ashamed to do so and lastly while I’m happy you are alive don’t think you’re going to show up and continue like nothing has happened. I grieved your loss many years ago. While it would be wonderful for Cassie to have a grandmother who could teach her so much, Jinto and I have made a life of our own here and although it’s had its difficulties it has also been extremely fulfilling. I just got over his mother being here and while I love you, I also know I can share this life with you as long as you understand it’s my life. You can suggest but you’ll not direct it.”

How I wished Lafiel had that conversation with Jinto’s mother, but alas, it was Jinto’s mother. She would have been out of place in saying such things at least from her point of view. Captain Lexshu took what Lafiel had to say with all the grace I’ve heard about her having. Although I could also see Lafiel hit a nerve and by the look the Captain had as she passed me a very raw nerve at that. I moved towards Lafiel she turned to me tears streaming down her face.

“Damn Noel, it killed me to say that to my mother. I had to or I’d never be able to live here with her.”

Lafiel dried the tears from her eyes and said our next task was to see Minchi and Tara. Lafiel figured Minchi would be pitching a fit about now and after the recording Sobbash had shared earlier. She wanted me to come along for moral support and the laser pistol I had strapped to my hip. We headed that way picking up Jinto and Sobbash. Samson and Risch were studying the plans Lala had given them for the forth warship. I had seen them in passing, it looked like a very formidable vessel, their next task was to go to the station and examine it.

It was later in the evening when I went to visit Dai and Kufadis. Our visit with Minchi and Tara went terribly; Lafiel lost her temper and almost tipped our hand. I dragged her away from them before she could accuse them of conspiring not only to topple this government but exacting revenge on the Abh as well. Lafiel was damn hot when I left her with Jinto but if I had spent another minute with her I would have zapped her with my sidearm.

The crew and extended crew of the Discovery were housed in the area that use to be the ambassador training accommodations until Erin and Lafiel came to a decision about their ‘loyalty' to this world. What a bunch of hooey, doubting their loyalty. I was on a fact gathering mission to satisfy my own curiosity nothing more or so I thought.

Approaching the housing unit I overheard a conversation that changed my entire outlook.

“So Captain what do we do now? The Discovery’s trashed, our friends fear what we’ve become and in their caution they have exiled us to this remote part of the island until, like Erin said. ‘They could figure out what to do with us’.”

“Yeah I agree with Arisa we’ve shown no hostility towards them but they… Heck they are treating those Zon better than we’ve been treated…”

Dai Lexshu abruptly stood and moved towards the crewmember that was responsible for the last outburst and said.

“Enough of this bickering, we knew when we got back here and they became aware of how we’ve changed there would be an unexpected response from them. We all discussed it, have you forgotten those long evenings spent going over the possibilities?”

Dai spun on her heels and faced my direction. She smiled and addressed me.

“Noel you can come out now and join in this conversation.”

I was well camouflaged how she knew I was there was… I see her heightened senses, well here’s another surprise I wasn’t expecting. I moved towards them and as I approached Kufadis said.

“Did Lafiel send you here to spy on us?”

“No Kufadis I’m here on my own. I’d like to sit and talk for awhile I have many questions to ask.”

Kufadis took a half step back I could feel Seelnay scanning my thoughts and then I sensed another presence a being I’d never sensed before. I turned to my right to find Lafiel’s mother had came at me from behind I was surrounded but I felt no hostility from anyone there.

“Noel Ekuryua, my daughter’s gunner on the Basroil and navigator later on, you moved on to command a frigate which was destroyed and then resigned from the Star Forces to join Lafiel on this world. And you wish us to believe you are here to talk and not to spy on us? Most interesting I hope you can defend your purpose here.”

I knew Lafiel’s mom was a tough cookie but this was beyond my wildest dreams. She had in essence called me a spy and had given me the chance to persuade them other wise. I came here with a purpose and I intended to continue in that vein no matter what anyone thought.

“I’ll not defend myself, I came here to talk and after what I just overheard I have but one question for each one of you. Here’s that question. Do any of you think you pose a threat to this world or anyone here? I’d like each one of you to answer the question and depending on what your answers are, determines whether I stay and continue what I came here to accomplish or I leave you to whatever fate might await you.”

Dead silence has it place but now was not the time for it. I wanted a response from those around me and I’m happy to say I most certainly got it, quite an earful I must admit. The crew individually and collectively convinced me beyond any doubts I had they there are still the same people that left here three years ago. The crew of the Gosroth was a different story. Plakia Lexshu was looking for a fight and unbeknownst to her she picked the wrong Abh to go toe to toe with. Our little sparring match lasted almost thirty minutes; it was after she had exhausted her last objection, I lowered the boom so to speak.

“Understand this Captain Lexshu, while I don’t make policy I do get listened to. I will let slide some of your earlier comments because you still don’t have a grasp on how this world functions. I have a feeling once you and your crew truly understand what Shahrazad is and how it is so far removed from the life you previously lead. You’ll understand what I’ve been trying to impress upon you.”

Plakia Lexshu took a step back came to attention and saluted me. As she turned to move away I grabbed her sleeve spun her back in my direction and said.

“That’s not how we do things around here.”

I took her hand and shook it gently, then pulled her towards me and embraced her while saying to her.

“Saluting is frowned upon around here. I’d like to welcome you and your crew to our family if you’ll have us. This is your home now if you so wish.”

I left her standing there in awe of my actions, it was getting late and I’m sure I was being missed by the wrong people. A search party showing up now would have been a very bad idea. I said I would be back to finish talking and left.

I watched as Noel left, Captain Lexshu was still standing in shock no doubt. It was then Dai and I moved towards her.

“Told you she was no pushover and I warned you what might happen if you accused her of something you didn’t have airtight evidence of. Be glad that was Noel and not Jinto you’d still be going at it.”

Plakia looked at me strangely and I continued with an explanation of who’s who around here.

“If you relate the current government to the operations aboard ship; Noel would be the intelligence officer, Sobbash, tactical officer and Jinto would be executive officer, ambassador, negotiations and ships consular. I guarantee you right now; you don’t want Jinto as an enemy. As a friend he can and will do everything in his power to make your life here quite comfortable. However I can give you the names of those who’ve ended up on his bad side you’d find their stories rather scary.”

A very confused Captain Lexshu tired to address me what she mumbled was beginning to make sense.

“When Tay was in my head I got an impression of how this place was but after listening to Noel. So who’s right and who’s mistaken?”

I entered the Captain’s mind and shared every experience I’ve had with those around me from the time I met Jinto and Lafiel on Febdash, to the time we were reunited, Ku’s death and to this current day. I also read the impressions that Tay had left and removed them. It would seem Tay, Scholar and I need to sit down and have a very heart felt discussion as well.

Plakia took a step back made a slow sweep of the area with her eyes returned her gaze to me and said.

“I hope what has happened since we arrived are abnormal events because if this is normal life around here. I don’t think we’ll be able to accept it as much as we wish to.”

The mess bell interrupted my reply, it was late, a little food and conversation over dinner would be better than standing here. So off we went.

As I feared running late would bring a response however I was able to fend off the party before it left the Residence. Sobbash also informed me that the Council had arrived shortly after I had departed and were awaiting my impressions. They also brought dinner which meant we didn’t have to cook. I happily made my way to the reception hall I was starved.

Dinner was informal something I like. Once we were done eating the questions came slowly at first, then the deluge hit and I halted the discussion. I resumed the discussion and after an hour had most of the questions and objections addressed however there was still one thing that was bugging me. I verbalized it to Lafiel.

“Your mother is… Lafiel there is something I can’t put my finger on it’s been bothering me since I left them. We argued rather intensely and when all was said and done I gave her a hug and tried to welcome her to the family but she kept fighting me it was like she was… Oh My… Doctor Sasoum. Can I see your scanner please?”

With Lafiel glancing over my arm I paged through Plakia Lexshu’s physical what I was looking for I found almost at once, seeing that everything became crystal clear.

“Your mother was fighting me; I could sense she was trying not to. But there is something that has happened to all of us that didn’t happen to her or the crew. As you well know it’s not widely published so it would not be in the Discovery’s database. Your mother was being obedient, against her wishes, you follow me Lafiel?”

Doctor Sasoum reached across the table and snatched the scanner from my hand. She made several entries and then proclaimed.

“I must be getting old. How could I have let this slip? Daughter you are correct; the Captain and her crew have not been released from their destiny. No wonder we are having trouble getting through to them. I need to get to them before…”

My mother dashed from the room following her was Mia and a couple of the Council guard. In all chaos that ensued after my mother spoke frankly, I managed to link with Seelnay and told her what we had discovered. She told me that they had just suppressed a rebellion among the Gosroth crew; they were stunned and confined to the mess hall.

I informed Lafiel of Seelnay's communication, we were right behind Doctor Sasoum and party. It was a short run to the far end of the island. We actually passed my mother up along the way.

“We were one against ten; those were never good odds, even in the best of times. We’ve just destroyed the ninth ship but the damage is too great, weapons have failed, shields are collapsing, the bubble is about to burst, then this blinding light and now we are aboard a ship the likes of which I’ve never seen nor dreamed of before.”

“Captain we’ve retrieved all we can get, the ship just exploded.”

“Get us out of here; I’m on my way to the pad.”

With that this young, non Abh, woman passed her hands over a crystal panel and I could feel the acceleration. We were all standing on a raised pad with a strange purplish hued light emitting from it. This woman, I later learned her name was Arisa, showed us to an area just off the glowing pad. It was there the first of many surprises that awaited the crew and I occurred. The door on the other side of the room opened and a woman of Abh heritage approached us. She looked familiar it was when she addressed us that the first shock hit.

“Survivors of the cruiser Gosroth, I welcome you aboard the research vessel Discovery. I am the Captain, Dai Lexshu. If you will follow me all of your questions will be answered in due time.”

Not possible the Dai I knew just celebrated her nineteenth birthday and yet those eyes and the mole below her left ear it truly was Dai. Stunned we followed her to a medical unit where we met Scholar and Seelnay. Here we were told how and why we were rescued. I’m standing here very much alive and I just saw the destruction of my precious ship how could I not believe what I was being told. In the three years it took us to get back I learned to trust these people with my life and now…

I’ve completely thrown all of that out of the window. I don’t know what happened, something in all of us snapped simultaneously. We tried to over power Scholar and Seelnay, knowing very well the powers they possessed, we failed miserably.

I awoke to find Lafiel standing over me it would seem we were out long enough for the cavalry to arrive. Lafiel seemed more concerned than angry though.

“Mia’s my mother is awake, when you are ready to proceed we are over here.”

Lafiel lowered her creunoc and took my hand.

“It’s my fault Mother; we missed something in our examinations that lead to this happening. What ever you do, do not blame yourself. You acted as nine hundred years of programming intended you to act. But we’ll fix that shortly you’ll never have to be obedient to your genes again.”

At first Lafiel’s words were like a foreign language it was only after Mia came to my side that I realized what they intended to do. It would seem Lafiel held back something else that she had experienced in the time I was missing. I later read all about the physiological warfare committed by the UMK against the Abh. I knew they were an uncanny bunch but that was stooping lower than I ever gave them credit for.

We slept in the mess hall that evening. Doctor Sasoum and her staff kept vigil over us while we recovered from the good Doctors tinkering with our genes. When I awoke that morning it was like we were on a different world. Breakfast and a walk around the island opened all of our eyes to this remarkable world. We found that things we noticed before became acceptable to us now.

I enjoy the gardens much more than I did yesterday and I no longer hunger to return to space. Those feelings and more the crew and I shared later on. The general consensus of opinion was if this is how most Abh are today then living here is just as good if not better as living in an artificial environment. We were staying and I had another revelation too. I realized my little girl had achieved beyond my wildest dreams and I was going to accept that fact. I was looking forward to meeting my grand daughter again as well.

“Tara did you understand what Lafiel was ranting about earlier? I didn’t and it’s left me with a headache.”

Lafiel’s rant wasn’t what bothered me it was our escorts. We have visited this world on several occasions and were given free run, however this time Minchi and I had two shadows, which were not trying to be inconspicuous in the least. Why were we being escorted everywhere and further more how come we are not allowed to communicate with our home world? Lafiel’s rant I believe was a fishing expedition, she’s looking for something and I’ve decided I’m going to confront her about this here and now.

“Come Minchi I’ve grown tired of being treated like a mushroom. We’re going to find Lafiel and settle this once and for all.”

We headed for the Residence and our escorts slowed our process. Once in visual range of the building they halted our progress completely. Minchi chose that moment to become quite stubborn. one of her ‘natural moments’ I might add.

“Don’t underestimate us fools; the two of us can wipe the ground with you if we wish; now I want to see Lafiel. If you want to remain undamaged I suggest you produce her right now.”

There are times that I really do love my sister. This was one of those times, Minchi might be on another planet most of the time but, when it comes time to act she can be the fiercest of Zon warriors. Our escorts quickly reconsidered their position and five minutes later Lafiel and Noel were approaching us.

Samson and Risch had just departed to examine the forth warship, the unsalvaged part of the research vessel was being removed and the crew were storing what they had salvaged. All and all this morning was going much better than we planned. It was then I heard from the escort detail, part of me hoped our visitors would behave and part of me knew that they would not. I’m surprised it took Minchi this long to blow up though, normally her short temper is made even shorter when Lafiel’s involved. I called Lafiel and told her of our new problem, I met her and Sobbash just west of the Residence. Lafiel was armed as was Sobbash.

The plan was for Lafiel and me to meet Minchi and Tara while Sobbash watched from atop the power station. The laser rifle she possessed had a range of just over three hundred meters and the station lay well within those boundaries. We split up Sobbash heading for the power station roof while Lafiel and I headed to Minchi and Tara. I should note something; Zon are about one third again larger than a normal Abh. Although bigger they are very agile and well versed in hand to hand combat. Lafiel and I have had practical experience with Zon warriors in the past we know how close you can get and still have enough time to react. I also know Sobbash is an expert marksman however the death of those two would cause more trouble than I care to think about. Heavy stun at that distance is difficult I hope Sobbash doesn’t have to become our only hope. I hope we can reason with them this time.

“Well, well if it isn’t the Princess and her pet. You sure took your sweet time getting here.”

Minchi’s opening insult was received and not responded to. This was the opening shot in a verbal exchanged that lasted about ten minutes until Tara stated their real purpose.

“Fine, fine I want to know why we have those two watching our every movement. One would think you no longer trust us anymore?”

Lafiel took in the statement and decided to put some of our cards on the table. She asked Minchi and Tara to follow us back to the Residence it was there they saw part of the data retrieved from our altercation with the Wise Ones.

Minchi was left speechless Tara on the other hand started dissecting the data right in front of us. After an hour she came over to Lafiel and said.

“I understand your concern. I have to admit at first what I saw I thought you had fabricated, but there are references to people and places you could not have known about. I hope you have more data available or have the ability to question those involved because if what is here, is true, then all of us are in grave danger.”

Lafiel and I stood in disbelief however Minchi started a tirade about Tara’s comment that brought a swift response from her. She turned and backhanded Minchi, who landed across the table from the force of the blow. Stunned, Tara stood over her grabbed her by her tunic hauled her face to face and said.

“Sister, pull your head out of your ass and think, two hundred and seventy years ago, that outpost, what would be so special about destroying that place that those Wise Ones would sacrifice a ship and crew to accomplish it?

Minchi stared at Tara her anger slowly subsiding and her mind becoming active once again. It took a few moments and suddenly all of the aggression she displayed was replaced with fear. Placing her hand around Tara’s she said.

“You can let go now, I understand it completely. If what is there is true, you are correct sister, we are in mortal danger.”

Tara released her grip on Minchi, she stood adjusted her tunic moved towards Lafiel and I, and said.

“On that date the outpost was being commissioned; our entire family would have been there for the ceremony. Had your ship destroyed the post not only would Tara and I not be here but those who would have taken over the Empire you would not have been able to deal with.”

Minchi looked at Tara then back at us. She asked if they could have sometime to consult and when they returned if we had anymore information that we could share, they would like to see it. We agreed, as they left Lafiel and I noticed something, the normal swagger of their walk was replaced by a calm resolve. It is my opinion that what was said was true but I still believe there is more truth to be revealed. I want to know everything yet I’m dreading our next conversation.

“Noel, quietly get everyone together we’ll meet at the docks as soon as Samson and Risch get back, unless Minchi and Tara return before then. And Noel I mean everyone, crews, High Council, security chief all of them understand?”

I did, I knew what just flashed through Lafiel’s mind I’ve seen it before. I made my rounds while Lafiel told Jinto. That conversation I wanted no part of I knew what his reaction was going to be.

Cassie was sleeping when I found Jinto. I asked him to step outside while we talked. I laid out everything I had and asked for his opinion. He agreed on most of it until I told him what I wished to do next it was then he exploded. Normally I’d let him go on until he had said his peace but he was getting louder by the second and waking Cassie was not an acceptable option. I pushed him back into his seat and pinned him down while I calmly said.

“Jinto hear me out, first and foremost I love you, Cassie, this world and those around me. If you can’t accept those facts then we have a problem, secondly you should know by now those things I hold dear I’ll defend with my last breath if necessary. Now object all you want BUT if what I see before me is true and there is a chance we could be in danger I’d be a fool to sit back and wait for it to come looking for us. Don’t you agree?”

Jinto and I seldom fight anymore. I knew this was going to be a difficult subject to discuss but to my surprise the light lit in his head he relented to my wishes, with one condition, that Cassie would not follow in my footsteps. He wanted her to have every opportunity and not become ‘space happy’ like I am. For the moment I agreed, Cassie’s too young to have her life planned out. I’ll give it a few years and we’ll open the subject once again. I plan on watching her grow up too I intend to be around for a very long time.

By quietly Lafiel meant I was to find everyone personally and inform them of the meeting. I’ve been looking for an excuse to ride my scooter and with time being of importance I rode like the wind. I have to admit it felt great. Erin took my news well she said she and Li would attend as the Council had other business to attend to. Lala seemed to know why I was looking for her before I said anything she said she would be there as well.

I could have taken the train to Atosuryua but the path ran parallel to the rail and the train was at the transport. I would have had to wait for its return and oh that ride was so wonderful. Atosuryua said she and Plakia would be coming and that they would be leaving shortly.

Cutting cross country I managed to clip time off my last trip. Scholar and company were my last visit and I knew it was going to be bittersweet. Arriving at the barracks I found the senior staff sitting outside as if they knew I was coming. Dai, Ariel, Kufadis and Arisa moved towards me as I was parking my bike. Dai spoke once I have my helmet off.

“I’m guessing by your appearance this isn’t a social call? Look’s like you’ve been on the trails for quite sometime. So what can we do for you?”

I knew Dai was still upset and I couldn’t blame her. The bridge in our friendship was stable but still needed repair I made my mind up to fix it before I left, but right now, I needed to deliver a message that would vindicate the crew who I knew had been feeling persecuted over something they had no control over.

“Dai we have information that concerns everyone on this world. Lafiel asks that you and the crew, plus those you’ve rescued, be at the docks with in the hour. Due to the nature of the information I can say no more but Dai I stress that this is a very serious matter that everyone in a position to know needs to discuss. In other words Dai, we need you, not that we never thought otherwise, but we do need all of you.”

I heard Noel’s words as was about to respond when Kufadis stopped me. He stepped in between Noel and I and started what I could only describe as a belittlement of her. So vicious was his spewing that unconsciously I withdrew my weapon and placed it at the base of his skull while I stopped him.

“What are you doing? That’s not Painiach; she didn’t kill thousands of innocents on a whim. Cool off honey, or I’ll personally take you out here and now.”

Kufadis ceased talking and turned to find a laser pistol set on maximum pointed at him. I could see the color drain from him as he turned back towards me and apologized. I accepted his apology however his words had really hurt and Dai was aware of the hurt he had caused. Ariel and Arisa took Kufadis aside and watched him while Dai consoled me.

Dai moved towards me, took me in her arms and that’s when my defenses finally dropped. I sobbed uncontrollably for I don’t know how long. If Kufadis knew what I had done, the words I had said to defend my friends, I know he would have felt as bad if not worse than I did at that moment. Then I realized not only was Dai physically touching me but she was mentally standing next to me as well. She knew in an instant everything I had on my mind and everything I knew about the pending disaster.

She held me tighter, the pain went away, my head started to clear. I could see through her eyes what she had been tolerating since the crews awakening. I now understood everything I had only sensed before. Dai had taken the next step in our evolution she’s become fully awakened on so many different levels, that I felt so small almost useless in her presence. Then in the next heart beat she showed me just how important and special I truly was. Not only was our bridge mended but it was stronger than it had ever been.

“Noel tell Lafiel we’ll be there. Go back slowly take in the beauty of this world. I need to get Scholar and Seelnay. They decided Tay needed a good talking to and it seems Tay’s not the only one who’s not on the same page around here.”

I was putting on my helmet when I saw Dai starting to lecture Kufadis. I knew or at least I thought I knew they were close but I don’t know now and really it’s none of my concern. I know I’ll take Dai’s advice and go back slowly I don’t think my body could tolerate anymore than that.

“I’m glad what’s been bothering you finally came to the surface, however, taking it out on Noel was completely uncalled for. You almost did to her what Painiach did to you. I’m telling you right now this viciousness towards others will stop immediately. If you can not come to grips with what happened realizing, outside of incapacitating Painiach, it was going to happen. Then you and I need to have a very hard look at our future together.”

I got through to him. He turned and walked off to sort through everything I had said before he responded, which in this case was acceptable. I spent the next minutes getting everyone together and informing them of Lafiel’s request, what I did not tell them is what I saw inside Noel’s mind, because if true we were going to have a problem far worse than any we have faced before in front of us. I sought out Scholar and let her read my thoughts. She did not seem too surprised at the revelation I revealed. However, her normal causal manner was in a more heightened state. We moved towards the docks in a rushed yet orderly manner.

Donald and I had just met up with mother when Dai’s message arrived. Tay turned out to more of a challenge than mother had thought, although she and Scholar managed to get her straight on a lot of things. There were still a few annoying issues that had to be addressed. Mom was about to explain when I showed her Dai’s message.

“Not again? Why now? Haven’t we just been through hell? I swear I’m getting too old for this nonsense. Okay let’s go and see what all the commotion is about.”

When I got back to the Residence I parked my scooter and removed my helmet. Placing it on the seat I moved towards our cottage it was then I saw Sobbash. She took one look at me and asked what had happened. I don’t know why but I told her exactly what Kufadis had done but before I could finish I saw a look of anger come across her face I grabbed her and said.

“That’s not the whole story don’t go running off. Dai settled everything before I left. Don’t worry about it Sobbash tell me where Lafiel is?”

Sobbash’s demeanor had changed her fit of anger had subsided and the all business side of her now emerged. She pointed at the garden and said.

“She’s over there. About twenty minutes after you left Minchi and Tara returned. They’ve been talking since then.”

I listened carefully I could make out their voices although I couldn’t understand what was being said I did hear something of a surprise, Jinto’s voice was blended in with the rest. I looked at Sobbash; she knew what I was going to say and answered me.

“Minchi and Tara wanted to speak to Lafiel alone. Jinto convinced them otherwise. I’m not sure how the conversation between he and Lafiel went but his voice has been heard often from there. If you’re up to it I need your help, Saio has been sitting Robert, Lily and Cassie for sometime I think she needs some relief.”

We were off in a flash. What bothered me was the tone of Jinto’s voice and the obvious lack of Lafiel’s input. I wondered if they finally had buried the hatchet with Minchi and Tara.

“Bottom line Jinto, whether you believe me or not, the main fleet is on its way here. You may question my sources if they live long enough to get here. But I’ll tell you right now many have died getting that information this far.”

Jinto looked again at the display it showed a massive fleet movement towards their part of the galaxy but it was still unconfirmed. What if this was an elaborate trap, Jinto stared trying to figure it out, wanting to believe Tara but…

“Another thing you should know, the fleet numbers over one thousand ships, with almost six hundred of them being ships of the line.”

That’s when I knew what Tara was saying was true I had heard rumors that once Duhiel had taken the throne and started making concessions that the Zon had quietly started rearming but doubling their fleet in such short order not even the Abh were capable of that. I pulled Jinto aside we needed to talk.

“Listen to me Jinto, believe me, Tara’s facts are most assuredly correct. There is one other thing I want you to know, we can not depend on any help from Duhiel, and what ever we do love we are on our own.”

When I pulled Jinto aside Minchi started in on Tara I spoke quietly enough I’m sure we were not overheard. I also placed Jinto between myself and they; so reading my lips nor seeing Jinto’s expression were allowed. Jinto did not take what I said very well his poker face was a bust. It took a few moments for his neutral expression to return in that time Tara had silenced Minchi. We were ready to continue and this time I asked the questions.

“Tara we accept the fact you’ve lost operational control of your fleet and that those who now control it want to see this world and the Abh Empire reduced to space dust. Have I gotten the correct impression from you?”

Tara didn’t flinch she just confirmed what I had said and she also offered her and Minchi’s help in neutralizing the fleet. Somehow that didn’t surprise me in the least however she wasn’t done there was something she had held back that she decided to offer up as well.

“If their commander follows the plan we’ve received the fleet will, as a show of force, flatten the Martinese system first.”

Jinto can move fast sometimes faster than I can. He blindsided Tara, although she’s half again Jinto’s size, he almost knocked her off her feet if Minchi hadn’t been behind her she would have toppled. I grabbed Jinto and pulled him out of the way as Minchi went defensive…

“Hold it right there. The next persons that moves, is going to taste soil.”

One day I need to tell Dai the proper term to use, but seeing her and her party at the other end of the garden brought such relief to me.

“Look I don’t know what’s going on, but I know one thing for sure, having been in hand to hand combat with the Zon, two against two is extremely unfair odds. Now ladies you want to step back from Jinto and Lafiel and then someone explain what’s going on?”

I’m convinced that Jinto’s reaction caught Tara completely off guard. When I told her Martine was Jinto’s original home world she realized what she had said got her the reaction it did. In true Zon fashion however she did not show any sympathy she merely restated the facts as she knew them.

After Tara opened her mouth and said what she did I understand why Jinto did what he did. Tara had accepted her mistake as well as a Zon could however her sister still wanted a piece of Jinto and she made a move in his direction. I took my pistol fired it at her feet then aimed it at her head and said.

“Stop while you still are able Minchi, you know I have no qualms about seeing you turned to dust.”

Over the years Minchi and I have had our disagreements. My practical hand to hand experience was with Minchi as a foe. She knew I wasn’t kidding and came to her senses.

“Put that gun down and we’ll settle this once and for all, Abh. You know I have no love for you in the least.”

I declined but also told Minchi should we live past this crisis a rematch might be in order. That satisfied her for the moment. It was Lafiel’s turn to continue what I had interrupted.

To Be Continued In: A Matter of Differences

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."