39_A Matter of Differences

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

39_A Matter of Differences

Post by Diaho »

A Matter of Differences

After Tara opened her mouth and said what she did I understand why Jinto did what he did. Tara had accepted her mistake as well as a Zon could however her sister still wanted a piece of Jinto and she made a move in his direction. I took my pistol fired it at her feet then aimed it at her head and said.

“Stop while you still are able Minchi, you know I have no qualms about seeing you turned to dust.”

Over the years Minchi and I had had our disagreements. My practical hand to hand experience was with Minchi as a foe. She knew I wasn’t kidding and came to her senses.

“Put that gun down and we’ll settle this once and for all, Abh. You know I have no love for you in the least.”

I declined but also told Minchi should we live past this crisis a rematch might be in order. That satisfied her for the moment. It was Lafiel’s turn to continue what I had interrupted.

“You two need to settle down. Save your energy for later you’ll need it.”

Lafiel moved towards Minchi and said.

“Remember I get first crack at you before anyone else does our score is older don’t you agree?”

Minchi realized then and there her argument wasn’t with the Abh it was with those who commandeered her fleet. Once that was resolved then petty disagreements could be settled if necessary. Minchi gave in and apologized as best she could for her actions. The apology was accepted and the skirmish averted for now.

We were inbound from the space station, Noel’s message had just arrived as well, I showed it to Samson and we pretty well knew what we were heading into.

This forth warship was a giant leap forward, not only was it faster, better armed, and shielded but it contained a generation three star drive and a power system quite similar to what Arisa had made aboard the Discovery. At Lafiel’s request we had named it the Discovery II. I believe Lafiel plans on giving it to Dai on our arrival but Noel’s second message left us very uncertain. It would seem several conflicts had happened in the time we were gone and not only were Zon pitted against Abh, but Abh were in conflict with Abh as well. I found this very disturbing as did Samson. We would arrive, dockside in thirty minutes, not knowing exactly what to expect.

Lafiel had allowed Minchi to communicate with her home world. As I feared the communications to the government was refused. However members of her family transmitted information that she had presented to us earlier. What I didn’t know and Minchi kept secret was those who sent the information did not live long enough to see any result from their actions. A solemn Minchi stood on the dock looking out over the lake. Tara stood along side her, for the first time, in the many years I’ve know them; they were actually showing quite a bit of emotion and not violent emotion.

I pointed them out to Lafiel and said I was going to talk with them. I knew disturbing a grieving person could have unexpected results and when those who are grieving have the ability to toss one several meters in one try. It could be considered fool hardy to try but I could feel their pain and I wanted to express our feelings as a group to them. I walked towards them.

“That’s close enough Abh say what you need to say and go away.”

Minchi’s greeting was actually better phrased than I expected. I continued to make my approach I did not intend to yell at them. I figured three meters was a safe distance I was still ten meters away.

“I said no closer Abh or are you having trouble understanding me?”

Minchi turned in my direction, her face showed all the pain that was resonating in her voice. I stopped at three meters and said.

“You’re projecting your pain, I came here hoping I could talk and express our condolences for those you’ve lost. That’s all Minchi.”

Her face softened the harden warrior became the young woman who had lost members of her family. The hard nosed Princess cried freely. Tara joined in the expression of pain and hurt. Moments later I stood next to them offering any comfort they would accept. It was emotionally draining yet when we were done the three of us had become much closer so close in fact Minchi addressed me by my name.

“I underestimated you Noel I figured all Abh were uncaring machines. I guess I shouldn’t believe everything I read eh?”

Old stereo types are so hard to break, I took Minchi’s hand in mine looked her in the face and said.

“Our hands are warm; our hearts can feel joy and pain. We live and die, love and laugh, cry and rejoice. Every emotion you can feel I can feel as well. Our differences are not as great as those around us would like to make of them. Minchi, Tara I speak for all of those beings standing over there when I say we are sorry about your loss and anything we can do to help you please ask us.”

History will record on this day at this hour the perceived hostilities that existed between Shahrazad and the Zon Empire ceased completely. History will also state that the sentences I spoke to Minchi and Tara from my heart, started a new era of co operation between our races. However before history could be written the problems of here and now needed to be solved.

Samson and I landed without incident and once the shuttle was docked we made our way to the warehouse at dockside. Lafiel had gathered those there she wished to talk too, little did we know exactly what Lafiel was about to say although we had a fairly good idea.

We approached Arisa and handed her the tech manuals for the new ship. She was stunned to say the least clutching the manuals to her chest she moved to Dai and handed them to her. Dai’s expression especially when she saw the ships name was… she was standing in front of Arisa just as Lafiel approached us.

“This… I don’t deserve this; it’s the flagship, Lafiel you should command…”

“Dai you’ve got the most experience of any of us. Your crew will adapt to this vessel faster than anyone else will. Take it and take care of it.”

We were in shock Lafiel just showed all the confidence in Dai she had before, it was like nothing had changed. Then she called everyone towards us and made it official, Dai had a new ship and we had a new mission which Lafiel laid out.

“We have reason to believe the Zon Imperial fleet is on its way to our system. Best estimates say it left Zon space thirty hours ago, and at their best speed they won’t be here for another fifty six hours. However there is a wrinkle in our plans according to an unconfirmed yet reliable source their first target is the Martinese system, notably the planet Martine, the fuel depot and repair base located there.”

The warehouse fell silent every ear strained to hear what Lafiel was to say next. She moved to a crate stood upon it and addressed us with a detailed plan of action.

“This is a three part plan; the first is evacuation of all non essential personal from this world. To that matter four Dorian transports left Deltoke space port about five hours ago. They will pick up our people and take them to Doras where the Dorian’s will provide for them. Our two transports will stand by to remove essential personal should we fail in our mission. Tay and her people will stay here and operate the planetary defenses if it comes down to that. Atosuryua noted that we have two transports and not quite two crews. After a brief consult with senior staff I have the following announcement to make. Plakia Pratt will command the second vessel with the balance of her command crew to be announced after this meeting is over.”

Plakia Pratt and Plakia Lexshu had finally met, they had chatted a bit before the meeting had started. Now they stood next to each other while Atosuryua stood beside her old friend and would be rival Captain Lexshu. I found the arrangement interesting and I wanted to know more but it was then Lafiel continued.

“Part two; is going to be difficult. We need to find the Zon fleet before there is an incident. Although leaving Zon space in such a massive movement is in violation of treaty. I fear treaties will have little meaning about now. I’m going to play a hunch and accept that their primary target is Martine and commit most of our forces to that system. They’ll arrive at Martine in forty hours we can be there in twenty I want to leave in twelve hours time. We have four ships of the line and three operational crews. To correct that situation I’m giving Dai’s former command to Captain Plakia Lexshu and crew. Captain Lexshu after this meeting meet with my senior staff, mom I’m going to give you the cram course of your life. I know you are up to it though.”

Risch and I could see Lafiel’s mother plainly from where we stood. Lafiel’s news hit her in a very positive manner. I could see Atosuryua giving her a pat on the shoulder and her crew smiling yet Lafiel wasn’t finished.

“Part three; once we find the Zon fleet we’ll make every attempt to end this before it ever gets started. However the mindset of the people who now command the fleet will not be open to a peaceful settlement. Tara and Minchi have provided us with the command structure of their fleet. We have five ships to take out if it comes down to that. I should tell you their fleet has grown as well. They number one thousand strong with six hundred of them being ‘ships of the line’.”

The place erupted once Lafiel said that. She tried in vein to silence them and had them almost settled down when a question from the back of the room set everyone off once again.

“You haven’t mentioned the Imperial fleet how many ships is Lakfakalle sending?”

I knew the answer and I knew who asked the question although it was out of sequence, Lafiel addressed it.

“We are on our own this time. There will be no help from the Star Forces, Capital or Jade Throne. The Empire is not in a position to offer any aid at this time.”

You could hear the frogs croaking on the shore and the crickets chirping. Dead silence was what greeted Lafiel’s reply. Undaunted she continued.

“This is not four against one thousand. I’d never enter battle with those odds and all of you should know it. This is using speed, strength, and cunning to achieve a peaceful settlement. Should that not be possible we’ll retreat and if necessary give up this world BUT let me be perfectly clear about this, I do not plan to lose. Those who wish us harm have ill conceived misunderstandings about us, our world and our vision of the galaxy. We need to correct those misunderstandings or face our end.”

Nothing, still air, the sounds of breathing that’s all you could hear. Lafiel finished up by setting everything into motion.

“Erin and Li get the first wave ready for departure, Atosuryua coordinate with the Dorian commanders I want everyone off as we depart. Sobbash, Noel, Dai, Captain Lexshu in the briefing room with in the hour. Everyone else you know your jobs we’ve drilled on this many times. Good luck and may we be successful. Dismissed!”

I kissed Risch as I left I knew it would be some time before we had another moment to our selves the Council had gathered the smaller children before our meeting. Lily had been through these exercises before, to her and the younger ones it was a wonderful game, although this time I feel she knows I’m going back to space…

As I left I saw an incident between Seelnay and her children. As I moved closer and realized how serious Seelnay was being without scaring her offspring.

“That’s final. I don’t want any back talk from either one of you. Plakia needs a first officer and engineer aboard the transport you’re needed there more than you’ll be with us. Now go, I will not take no for an answer.”

As they joined with Plakia Pratt and left I approached Seelnay, she was very much to the point about what she just did.

“The entire time we were gone I worried sick about those two. Now that we have such an uncertain future I want them to be somewhere safe. Noel, you have a doubting look, let me explain. Dawn and Donald are the only proof that Ku and I lived, loved and continued. I want them to have the same chances. This mission has too many uncertainties for my liking. I’m getting a very bad feeling about this one.”

Seelnay walked off and joined with Dai. Scholar placed her and on my shoulder and said.

“Do you need a competent science officer? If so I’m offering you my services.”

I was stunned then Scholar explained her statement. It would seem that Dai’s new abilities duplicated Scholar’s duties. Most of the trip back Scholar found her self doing menial tasks aboard ship. She wanted to be somewhere where she could be useful and with Dai was not the place to be.

Lafiel and I had enough crew for the Independence however Sobbash was short personal on the Resolute. I knew Capt. Lexshu and company were enough to crew the Defiance. I pointed Scholar towards Sobbash she took her on without hesitation. It was time for the command meeting and I headed for the briefing room.

We left the island and returned to the transport base. Dawn and Donald sat quietly on the trip there. It was when we exited and headed to the office that Dawn stopped me.

“Um Plakia you got a moment? We need someone to talk to.”

Atosuryua motioned me to go to them and she headed to the office. I turned towards them and said.

“Never figured I’d be commanding a ship this soon or to have the two of you as members of my crew. Dawn I’ve sensed something from the moment you approached me and informed me of your assignment to my command. I’m assuming that is what you want to talk about?”

I’ve know Dawn all of her life, and still I asked her to vocalize something difficult, which she didn’t. She reached for my hand, took Donald’s in her other, and he in turn took my other free hand. We were joined and the experiences that Dawn and Donald shared with me left me in awe.

“Plakia, mother fears she’ll not survive this encounter, although she never said it Donald and I both sensed it. We gave in to her to be here with you and hopefully she’s incorrect in her feelings. But if something happens you’ll be all we have left. Can you handle that responsibility should it occur?”

Dawn’s always been my strength, my consoler and companion. I’ve relied on her quite a bit and now it was time to return the favor, which part of me did not want to think about. I told them I’d be there for them and took them to the transport. This ship which had just been recently renovated still had a few quirky bugs to work out.

Donald was in the master console and scanning the ships systems before I even got settled in the center seat. Dawn sat at the navigator’s station looking over the ships specifications as well. With in the hour they had ninety percent of our glitches solved. Something the repair station had been working on for the past two months. Again I was in awe at their abilities and wondered if they would be content to be on a rather boring transport than out streaking across the galaxy in a warship?

From my office I had a view of the transport base. I took note of Plakia, Donald, and Dawn making their way to their ship. I turned back to my desk, started some calming music playing and thought about the day’s events. Lafiel’s actions came as no surprise to me.

What was surprising was seeing Captain Lexshu again, I won’t say surprising, I’d say more annoying. We were quite the pair in our younger; no make that my younger days. Originally I was the younger now she is by quite a distance. A fact she reminded me of before we parted company.

At one time I was jealous of her, now today, I understand her ambitions of the past. She knew from an early age what she wanted her destiny to be and attacked with all the zeal she showed in command school. Top in her class, honors in tactics, then she set her sights on the ultimate prize, Debeusec. His family controlled the Jade Throne and any offspring he had would one day sit on that throne. That was Plakia Lexshu’s goal, to be the gene donor of the future ruler of our people.

A fairly lofty goal, although two things happened along the way; one, she fell madly in love with Debeusec and two, she died. Although the second problem was resolved, the first still remains; it is my firm belief she’s still in love with Debeusec even after everything she’s read about his life after her death. Our rivalry no longer has the meaning it once had but I can see us having many more long talks in the future. Something which I’m actually looking forward to I think?

“Paveryua, I have the latest intelligence report, as of zero three hundred Martine standard time, there are no Zon ships with in three parsecs of this system. They all left suddenly does Shahrazad have an explanation of why?”

Paveryua knew why he was awaiting this report to confirm what Jinto had sent him a few hours ago. He picked up the report and handed it to her. She read it carefully pausing at the tactical data section, once finished she sat the report on the desk and moved toward Paveryua. She took his hand and kissed him on the cheek as she said.

“Another conflict, just what we need around here and with the Zon this time. You told me if I decided to stay with you life would never be boring. Well my love I agree it’s not been the least bit of a bore but I’m not sure if I can handle this level of excitement anymore.”

They’d seen it all Martine’s integration back into the Empire, then the Empire handing the system over to Jinto’s care. The revolution and death of Jinto’s father, Lafiel and the Zon reclaiming the system, Jinto’s granting them full independence followed by Duhiel’s returning their sovereignty and removing the Imperial bases. All of this and they have lived to witness every last moment of it.

Now this time it’s a threat which could actually alter the life they’ve led. Martine could not defend itself against one tenth of the Zon Imperial fleet let alone the entire Armada. Paveryua had several decisions to make and after consulting with the Martinese government it was agreed that if Lafiel could not stop them the system would surrender. Surrender was a word not in Paveryua’s vocabulary should the need arise he wondered if he could really give in without a fight.

The staff meeting went pretty much as planned. Lafiel sent Dai and Captain Lexshu to their ships while Sobbash and I finished her crewing issues. Part of me wanted to be on that shuttle, I was curious, Plakia Lexshu was a capable commander but our ships are light years advanced from the Gosroth. Yet Dai was with her I knew Dai was a capable trainer and yet I still wondered.

“Noel? Noel? Where are you off to this time?”

Sobbash’s inquiry brought me back to the task at hand. It took another hour to get everything straight and we were off to our ships as well. I would bring the Independence back and land it at the Guardians complex there Tay would augment our armament and add her own special surprise she had if we encountered the Zon.

Sobbash on the other hand was going on a shake down cruise within the system. She wanted to regain her feel for the ship and react with her crew before we entered combat. At this moment I don’t see this ending without shots being exchanged between us. The Zon are too stubborn and Lafiel’s too proud. I hope I’m wrong but history says otherwise.

Defiance and Discovery II were berthed next to each other. On approach Plakia and I took a good look at our new commands. We were both in awe for very different reasons. I was, due to the size of this ship, it was half again as big as my former command and its sleekness was astounding.

Plakia had seen the specs for her ship but this ship was unlike any design the Abh had then, or now. These second generation warships still kept the original concept of an arrowhead; that was mostly for flight within an atmosphere; but every time I see the Defiance I’m still awed by its looks, as was Plakia Lexshu. Arisa steered us around both ships so we could have a good look.

It was a shame to take something so beautiful and make war with it. However we never make war, we end up stopping it hopefully before it gets started. Yet this time those who wish to spread their influence are not as rational as we are. Considering that Tara and Minchi are typical Zon, we are going to have our hands full as the Empire had those many years ago.

Our plan was to power up both ships and head for the asteroid belt at the far end of the system. There we would have a simulated ‘war game’ then return in time for us to head for Martine with Lafiel. That would leave Plakia and Sobbash here in case the Zon had other plans. It wasn’t a grand plan, I’d rather be with Plakia and send Sobbash off with Lafiel but this ship has double the fire power and if the Zon truly intended to attack Martine Lafiel and I could hold them at bay till the others arrived. The other part is if they end up at Shahrazad, Sobbash, Plakia and the planetary defense system could hold them off till we returned. It was my understanding that Tay had a few upgrades for the Independence as well. Tay and her toys, oh well.

“Defiance Captains log. I’ve taken command of this ship. Dai explained that the AI’s aboard these ships were extremely advanced versions of those I was use to. I’ve just plugged into the system and Dai’s explanation was too simple. I’m very impressed with what I’m experiencing. This multi channel AI lets my crew share their thoughts without using words. As Dai explained we should rely on verbal communications the system has overload safe guards built in. The most interesting safe guard is its self preservation mode. Should we become damaged to a point where either we can no longer operate the ship or the ships destruction is at hand the AI will withdraw us from the battlefield, in practice it sounds nice however I never want to be in a position that the ship has to save its self.”

“Captain, Discovery is signaling they are ready to leave and inquiring if we are as well.”

I replied that we were ready and had us back out of the spaceport. Once positioned along side the Discovery we synchronized flight plans. I stood and went to my side, and then I remembered I’m not wearing a command rod. Undaunted I looked at the navigator and said.

“Follow Discovery, speed factor two, Diasele!”

Discovery Captains log. Lafiel has given me a weapon of massive destruction. This ship serves that purpose, after reviewing the specs I can come to no other conclusion. Defiance and Discovery are heading to the outlying asteroid belt at the edge of the system. We’ll need only six minutes at factor two to accomplish this. I figured I’d give Plakia a small taste of light speed in normal space and then we’d examine the capabilities of our ships.”

“Captain we’ve arrived, dropping out of light speed in three, two, one. Defiance signals they’ve arrived as well, however the excitement level over there seems pretty high Captain.”

I opened a link to Plakia what is saw and heard well I kind of wished I’d been there it would seem the crew got a real rush out of traveling FTL in normal space. Or maybe it was just being in space once again. It took me a couple of moments to make my presence known then Plakia and I started our weapons training.

Weapons training would be done at fifty percent power that would give the crew the experience of live fire and still save the systems. I targeted several asteroids and had Plakia take them out one by one. We sat in reserve covering Defiance in case something went awry. Their weapons testing went off without a hitch. Now it was our turn I spotted a fairly large asteroid about half a light second in distance and targeted it. Arisa fired, the ship heeled to starboard, the inertial dampers caught it and the asteroid vanished. Once we regained our footing I took into Arisa.

“I distinctly remember saying FIFTY percent power to the weapons. Why did you use full power?”

An angry Arisa looked me in the face and said.

“That was fifty percent. According to the indicators we were at that setting.”

“Dai what the hell just happened over there? The AI acted fast enough, the shields got raised just as the energy wave from your weapons discharge hit us. We’re fine the ship got tossed about a bit though no damage reported.”

I sat back in the seat and reviewed the data. Plakia was linked in as well. Arisa was correct that was a fifty percent blast from the forward array. Now I had to know, we agreed on a large asteroid about three quarters of a light second away. Plakia took an observation position three hundred thousand meters aft of Discovery and this time she was battle ready shields up dampers in.

“Arisa raise shield, stabilize and track target, fire when locked and at full power.”

The lights dimmed as we fired the standby systems kicked in and as the blast cleared I saw…

I was returning from the Guardian’s complex when the sensors went nuts aboard Independence scanning the area I saw a massive energy release in the general area where Dai and Plakia were. My first thought was one of the ships had exploded. I contacted Sobbash and Lafiel informed them of what I had seen, I then had Sobbash make a sensor sweep from the Resolute to confirm what I had seen. She reported that my facts were correct she also saw both ID beacons from Discovery and Defiance as well. That meant but ships were intact if that was so, then what was… Oh my.

Systems returned to normal very quickly. Arisa reported we had only dropped main power by five percent during the array’s firing. I linked with Plakia once again, the data gathered was scary. Discovery, with one blast, had not only vaporized a moderately size asteroid but cleared an area about six thousand meters wide and about ten kilometers distant of everything, all that remained was dust. It would have taken several hours to half way accomplish that feat with Defiance and still it wouldn’t have been as efficient. My awe factor of this ship just rose by a factor of five. Plakia and I discontinued our war game and went home. I’m sure Shahrazad knows something happened out here by now, but we are keeping long range communications black out enforce. Using sub light engines we arrived at the spaceport two hours later.

“I’ll see you in a couple of hours Jinto, Noel and I are headed to the spaceport. Read the report I put on your desk.”

Lafiel’s timing is still excellent I just lathered my hair when she told me where she was headed. I heard Noel’s scooter roar off as I finished my shower. Donning the appropriate attire I walked to my desk and picked up the report. Reading it came as something of a surprise, Tay had indicated the new ship had quite a punch but if this is the readings of a weapons discharge, well I’m impressed. I’ll bet Dai and Plakia have other feelings about the matter but then they were there and we weren’t.

I have misgivings about this adventure, I know it’s necessary but, given the present climate in this part of the galaxy and even though we have alliances with other worlds it looks like it’s going to be us against the Zon. Basically in numbers we’ll be out numbered two hundred fifty to one or thereabouts. Not a very comforting outlook I’m having, but if Tara and Minchi’s information is sound, the Armada is being lead. They, the vast majority of the commanders, feel this is a very unwise move but the threat of death is a strong motivator. I hope a rebellion within the fleet breaks out before Lafiel has to take action but, the Zon are so damn stubborn.

Noel and I had just left Shahrazad. Dai was reporting she was twenty minutes from the spaceport. I had both ships on the viewer it was then I finally realized how big Dai’s new command was. I pointed that fact out to Noel she took note and proceeded to start docking with the spaceport. As those two were arriving Noel and I were waiting for them.

We were berthed and just had the gangway attached when Lafiel and Noel came aboard. Plakia was a couple of minutes behind them. The meeting took place in a conference room off the bridge. Lafiel was full of questions which we tried our best to answer. Arisa took the lead in this by saying.

“If what I’ve seen is correct; this ship has more fire power than the other three combined. Furthermore where the other ships have limitations, on amount of fire power versus shield duration, we have none. In other words we can maintain a constant barrage and full shields while in motion.”

Arisa paused for a moment looked at Noel and continued.

“I understand the Independence just received upgrades, I’d be interested in seeing what they are. Would you object to me having a look?”

Lafiel looked at me for any objections, I had none. I left the room with Arisa; we headed to where the Independence was berthed however Dai had more to tell Lafiel so she stayed.

“I left sensors buoys and a few proximity mines in the area before we left just in case the Zon do something unpredictable. Plakia and I also made several long range scans of the area and found nothing out of the ordinary. Have we heard anything from Martine? Have they made contact with the Armada?”

Lafiel said it was too quiet for her liking. She also said there was going to be a slight modification in our plans. We were going to have to take a longer route to Martine. One of our allies did not give permission for our ships to traverse their territorial space it would add three hours to our arrival time.

It should be noted that to avoid detection we will be cloaked and traveling at just below light speed. The Zon have the ability to detect our energy signature and if we went blasting through there we’d lose our element of surprise. Shahrazad to Martine at max speed is approximately twenty seven minutes including the detour. At max sub light we were looking at fifteen hours. A lot can happen in fifteen hours and I made that fact known to Lafiel.

“Thank you Dai for pointing that out. It’s a fact I’m painfully aware of but if we waited until the first sighting to go they would have destroyed Martine by the time we arrived. A lot can happened in thirty minutes as well. Dai I know you’re uncomfortable just the two of us going in but if the information is correct and Martine is either captured or destroyed. I’ll be blunt. I have to live with Jinto You Don’t. If we drop the ball on this and the worst occurs put your self in my boots for the moment.”

Lafiel has this way of projecting without showing her true feelings. I know she’ll bend over backwards to help Martine because like Jinto it’s something she holds near and dear to her. And I understand why she just said what she said, however Plakia was in the dark and started to lash out at Lafiel. I put a stop to it before it got going.

“Okay Lafiel I understand that Martine is just as important to you as this planet is. And yes I’ve seen the sweeter side of Jinto and No I don’t envy you at all. I’ll be ready when you are just, say the word.”

Lafiel left us and headed to the Independence. Plakia and I had a long talk about her daughter, something I should have done beforehand but it was good for her to see Lafiel being Lafiel. It made my job a bit easier. Yet I sensed a bit of confusion and disbelief in Plakia as she left me.

“Man that’s just like Tay. Install all the goodies and not hook anything up. Noel you need a crew aboard this ship to get this mess straightened out. I’m available and understand most of this if you want the help?”

I could kick myself. What was I thinking? I trusted Tay and here she’s done it to us again. The engineering section was a wreck. Like Arisa said all the devices were here but little hook up had been accomplished. Lafiel was going to be angry when she saw this, and in my deep thought she entered the section without me seeing her.

“My SHIP!! What the hell did she do to my ship? Noel where are you?”

I called her to me and oh well I’ve seen Lafiel this angry before yet this time it was a big deal and she had every right to walk up one side of me and down the other because I screwed up royally. Had it not been for Arisa’s curiosity we could have found this mess hours later when we departed. At least now we had sometime to get it fixed. Lafiel was not happy when I said that either. I knew somewhere along the line I was going to get a well deserved chewing out.

“Call a crew aboard and get us operational. Noel you’ll personally supervise and you will be responsible for anything that doesn’t function correctly.”

Lafiel turned slowly taking in the mess that Tay made and left the section. Arisa placed her hand on my shoulder and said.

“Glad to see Lafiel’s clamed down in the time we were gone, before she would have threatened to turn you to dust or cast you into space, yep, she a lot calmer than before. I’ll call in some help you get Risch up here so he’ll know what we are doing eh?

I made the call to find Risch was aboard the spaceport and headed to the ship. I met him on the bridge and took him to engineering. His outburst was not as bad as Lafiel’s was but I sensed a lot of disappointment in his voice, disappointment with me, at least that’s how I took it.

Plakia left and I returned to the bridge. I was in the middle of thinking about options when.

“Permission to come aboard, Captain?”

Looking up I saw Kufadis standing in the lift door. I told him he was welcome and returned to my work, which a few moments later I had help with.

“I saw the report it would seem this ship packs quite a punch so what are you doing Dai?”

I brought Kufadis up to date with all of our plans I told him I wanted a pre programmed return to Shahrazad because I feared Lafiel was being led on. As much as I wanted to believe the information I felt there was no reason to attack Martine. However the threat of an attack would make perfect sense and do what is precisely happening now, splitting our forces.

Now if the Zon knew nothing of this ship we’d have an advantage. Figuring Lafiel would send two ships to Martine and leave one and the planetary defenses here I’d strike at this world in a heartbeat. I think Lafiel feels the same way but if I’m wrong and if Martine is truly a target. I’d be condemning billions to either death or incarceration; neither option was acceptable to me, which is why I didn’t fight Lafiel’s decision to go to Martine.

Kufadis tied into the console I was using and pretty much took over for me. I’m glad he did there were many thoughts racing through my mind and I needed to rest. I made my way to my cabin and was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I left Dai’s ship fairly confused, I checked in with my ship and went searching for somewhere to get a drink. I found this little restaurant just off the promenade, upon entering I found a pleasant surprise; Lafiel was sitting there deeply involved in a data pad. I grabbed a couple of drinks and joined her.

“Here, look’s like you could use a break.”

I handed her a drink she looked at it and said.

“Thanks, mom but well I don’t drink teal anymore, let me explain. When I was pregnant with Cassie I use to consume those like mad until one day the smell of one made me quite ill. Since then I’ve avoided them like the plague. So…”

The next thing I knew Lafiel reached for the drink and passed it under her nose. To her surprise it didn’t offend her. Then she decided to get brave and took a pretty healthy drink. Sitting the drink down, she smiled and said.

“Well what do you know maybe I’ll start drinking these again?”

She put down her pad and faced me. Looking at me with a look I’ve seen before she said.

“You realize we missed Cassie’s birthday? In my case it’s again too. I have to admit I wondered why you always showed up for every one of my birthdays, but now that I know who you are it makes perfect sense. Cassie is supposed to have two parents and yet she’s very much like I was at that age. Although in her favor she knows who I am, but I seem to miss important things in her life. Jinto is much like father as far as being close to Cassie and yet he doesn’t impose his will as father did with me. You know mom I understand why you did what you did and how father convinced you to let him be the controlling parent. But in my case I want you in Cassie and our lives. Am I being too selfish?

I’m happy Lafiel has grown into a responsible person; actually her outlook on life reflects the feelings that I had when I was her age. However she was one step ahead of me she gave birth to Cassie. I only contributed genes to Lafiel’s life. In my opinion I wasn’t a very good parent, well okay given the facts I couldn’t be a parent thanks to Debeusec and tradition. Lafiel on the other hand tries to balance so much and yet finds time to be that parent I never was but wanted to be. I’m envious of my daughter and shouldn’t be. I take a sip of my drink and try my best to answer Lafiel. We spend almost an hour chatting something I found very refreshing. Unfortunately the time was approaching for Lafiel and Dai to leave and I was just getting comfortable being around her. I bid her farewell and returned to my ship.

Mom was fast this time. She had already boarded the Resolute and with father was on her way to the space station. I opened a link and Scholar answered, I made my request very clear and Scholar told me mother would get with me shortly. Closing the link I found Robert had wandered off from Cassie and Lily. It didn’t take long for me to find him.

“Robert we need to get to the transport, we are going to take a little trip to somewhere you’ve never been before.”

Father and Risch had made a rocking horse which Robert fell in love with. He sat defiantly on the horse refusing to budge until I promised him we’d put the horse somewhere safe. With Cassie and Lily’s help we put the horse in the unused hot house and made our way to the shuttle that took us to the transport base. Looking back I hoped that I’d be able to see the house we all grew up in once again.

Approaching the base I got my first look at a Dorian transport. They are jade green in color and unlike our transports they are capable of FTL speed. Sleek and cylindrical they sat docked at the base. I could see the loading was well underway. I knew who I had to contact when I arrived to deliver the younger children and then I wanted to talk to either Plakia Pratt or Commander Atosuryua.

“Commander we’ve found the rest of the children they just arrived at the station, however Saio is ah demanding to see you and she’s not taking no for an answer.”

Atosuryua took in what was said. She was facing a deadline herself Lafiel’s departure was in less than four hours and she was only seventy percent loaded. It would take every second to meet Lafiel’s deadline she had no time for Saio no matter how important it was. She opened a link to the other transport and told Plakia to see what was on Saio’s mind. Plakia replied she was on her way.

I closed the link and turned to leave I found Dawn blocking my way.

“Stay here, I heard what Atosuryua said. I’ll go see what Saio wants. I’ll be right back.”

Leaving the ship I found a very disturbed Saio standing in the passage way that led to the Dorian transports. She spotted me and said.

“I’m not going Dawn. Mother promised the next time she went to space that I’d go with her. She slipped out and left me to baby sit once again. Sorry not this time, I want to get to her ship. Now!”

I’d been gone three years so I wasn’t aware of any arrangements that Sobbash had made with Saio and at this moment it didn’t matter, our orders were plain. All non essential personal were to be loaded and on their way to Doras before Lafiel departed. Saio was not of age and considered non essential so she was leaving, end of story, as far as I was concerned. However Saio did not accept my rationalization of the situation and she pitched a fit suitable for one of royal linage. Time was not on her side, I did the only thing I could think of. I placed her over my shoulder and carried her unceremoniously aboard the transport with the other children. When she returns we’ll discuss the words she said to me but for now Saio was aboard and the transport was leaving. End of problem I hope.

I returned and informed Plakia of what happened I also reported to Atosuryua and then I opened a secure link to Sobbash. Scholar answered and I gave her quite an earful. Scholar thanked me and promised my words would reach Sobbash’s ears shortly. I closed the link and shook my head. That was one very angry young lady I put aboard that ship I hope her mother knew what she was doing.

“Lafiel, the last transport just made the jump. Dai is standing by, your mother and Sobbash are in position as well.”

Lafiel turned towards the empty position that Jinto would normally be sitting at. She paused a moment and then gave the command to leave for Martine. Jinto was with Minchi and Tara the plan was for Jinto to use their shuttle and approach the Armada should they show up at Shahrazad instead of Martine, it was risky but Lafiel had an uneasy feeling about Martine. She shared it with me before we boarded. I had a link established with the probes Dai left on the edge of the system. At the first sign of trouble and we’d be rushing back here while Captain Lexshu, Sobbash and Jinto tried to hold them off. It wasn’t a perfect plan but given our resources and the flat response from our allies we were stuck with this hand.

“Lafiel, Dai answers ready. Course plotted and on the main viewer. We are ready at your command.”

“Signal Discovery we are leaving Noel, Risch engage max sub light speed.”

Discovery and Independence were gone at that moment space got very lonely.

“Paveryua, long range sensors show a large number of ships approaching type unknown.”

“Send the data to Lafiel and bring our forces to battle stations.”

Paveryua sat straining to ascertain the type and number of ships approaching but and ion storm was making verification difficult. The ships would be very close before positive identification could be made. They were sixteen hours off at present speed.

Lafiel took Paveryua’s message with a certain amount of caution, the timing was a little ahead of what she had figured so she hoped that the Armada’s departure was incorrectly reported yet not knowing what was approaching Martine gave her cause to reflect. She ordered us to cut all the corners off our course and pass dangerously close to those who would not give us permission to pass through their space. This would shave another hour off our arrival time but it was still thirteen hours to Martine. Waiting is painful.

“Seelnay show me the return route to Shahrazad.”

The display came up with a reverse course plotted from various positions along our route. They were all exact reversal of our present heading. I looked at Dai she was not impressed in the least. I knew what she was going to say before she said it.

“Seelnay I want a direct course back, no detours, straight line and I don’t care about whose space we violate. If we survive I’ll come back and explain it to them. Arisa, max speed, as fast as this ship can travel. Hopefully we can reach Shahrazad in minutes and before any one gets hurt.”

Plots began to appear on my display. Once at Martine we could be back in less than eighteen minutes. From first contact with the sensors to the defense perimeter was thirty-one minutes at the max speed of a Zon warship. Dai was convinced once detected the Zon would go all out to try to overwhelm our defenses. They already had us out numbered I didn’t like what I was seeing and made my feelings known.

“I agree Kufadis, with Sobbash and Captain Lexshu having to defend a planet their options are quite limited. If the Zon were to get with in firing range of the platform and take it out then the two of them could not defend Shahrazad. It will also depend on where the rotation of the planet is at the time they approach, if Tay’s ground based weapons are pointed the wrong direction then it’s a wash as to if they can survive or not.”

That was nice but at the moment a large group of unidentified ships is approaching Martine and because of a course change in another five minutes our main sensor array will be pointed in the wrong direction for several hours. The things one does to placate others and keep from starting a war.

Sitting at my station and listening to what was going on I felt a little useless. As First Officer I figured the Captain would have asked my opinion before I had to inject my feelings on the matter at hand but...

“Tactically speaking should we go rushing back to Shahrazad what do you want to target? If the information Lafiel has is correct we’ll only have about a thousand different targets to choose from. You want to blast everything that’s there or is there a certain target list you have in mind Captain?”

Ariel’s comment was completely unexpected; I hadn’t given any thought to what we would do if we went rushing back to Shahrazad I figured we’d assess the situation upon arrival. I really hate it when’s she right and has thought five steps ahead of me. I asked her for a plan of attack and went back to scanning the area ahead.

“Paveryua they’ve stopped, the entire fleet is just out of positive sensor identification range and the ion storm is not easing at all. I can detect three separate formations but I can not determine the number or type of vessels approaching us. I’ve forwarded the information to Independence we have not received an answer. What should we do now?”

Paveryua sat contemplating his next move, he could try to send a shuttle out and have them determine the force approaching or wait for Independence to arrive. The ion storm was at a level that a shuttle trip was perilous he decided to wait for Lafiel to arrive. They were three hours off or at least that was according to the last update he received.

Risch and I had worked for the past three hours trying different combinations of filters and frequencies to project our beam through the storm. We had little success this kind of storm had wide ranging interference and outside of positioning ourselves out of its influence we were not going to know what we were facing.

“Lafiel that’s it, we’ve exhausted all of our options. I can only confirm what Paveryua sent hours ago. There are three groups of ships stopped just outside of Martine’s sensor range. The only way we are going to know is to fly around the disturbance and look for ourselves.”

Lafiel took my suggestion and added to it. She linked with Dai and told her of the plan, upon arrival Dai was to go to the defensive perimeter while we slipped behind Martine’s sun and approached the unknowns from their amidships. We would have at least ten minutes to identify them before our presence could be detected. We’d be using the corona of Martine’s sun as cover. Dai agreed and we arrived thirty minutes later.

I maneuvered us as close to Martine’s sun as safety would allow. Once on the back side and clear of the gravitational distortions I began to get a clearer image on the scanners. Before us sat almost six hundred ships the computer was cross referencing the data but one thing became apparent immediately there were no life forms aboard any of the ships.

“Lafiel sensors show no life forms aboard, I detect no weapon systems they are…”

At that moment the computer confirmed my hunch, we saw remotely operated ships before us. My fifth pass over them convinced me they posed no threat to Martine but then where was the Zon Armada? The panel that was monitoring Shahrazad went active; sensor buoys indicated a massive movement then stopped transmitting. Next the general distress signal reached us.

“Lafiel they’re decoys, we’ve been tricked and Discovery just made the jump towards Shahrazad.”

To be continued in: Why We Fight

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."