40_Why We Fight

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

40_Why We Fight

Post by Diaho »

Why We Fight

I maneuvered us as close to Martine’s sun as safety would allow. Once on the back side and clear of the gravitational distortions I began to get a clearer image on the scanners. Before us sat almost six hundred ships the computer was cross referencing the data but one thing became apparent immediately there were no life forms aboard any of the ships.

“Lafiel sensors show no life forms aboard, I detect no weapon systems they are…”

At that moment the computer confirmed my hunch, we saw remotely operated ships before us. My fifth pass over them convinced me they posed no threat to Martine but then where was the Zon Armada? The panel that was monitoring Shahrazad went active; sensor buoys indicated a massive movement then stopped transmitting. Next the general distress signal reached us.

“Lafiel they’re decoys, we’ve been tricked and Discovery just made the jump towards Shahrazad.”

“Captain, I’m receiving a general distress signal from Shahrazad, we are no longer receiving data from the sensor buoys.”

“Kufadis tell Lafiel we’re leaving, Seelnay take us home, Arisa I want everything you’ve got, now!!”

Discovery reversed course and jumped towards home the acceleration was amazing. Dai wasn’t finished either the next set of orders came as we streaked across space.

“Ariel as soon as you have data I want tactical on the main display, Kufadis you’re job is to find our forces I want to know their condition and location, Seelnay try to link with Scholar I’m sure the Zon have communications jammed. Arisa I want to be ready to enter one hell of a fire fight when we get there, time to Shahrazad?”

“Eleven minutes Captain.”

“Where’s Lafiel?”

“About three minutes behind us and closing rapidly.”

“She’s faster than we are?”

“It would seem so Captain.”

I wasn’t surprised when Dai left I’d been surprised had she waited, we told Paveryua of what lie beyond the ion storm then.

“Lafiel, Paveryua acknowledges your message; return course is laid in, ready on your orders.”

“Let’s see what Tay’s toy can do, Noel take us home, Risch engage maximum speed.”

Independence with its modified power grid and engines leapt towards home. Tay had said we’d be a bit faster than Dai but, we were catching up to Discovery, maybe we were a lot faster than Tay anticipated. We were going to catch Discovery just before we arrived and I informed Lafiel of that fact.

“Once in range open a secure link to Dai I want a coordinated response from the two of us.”

Little did Lafiel know but I was already in communications with Discovery and Seelnay was a wealth of information.

“I understand Lafiel. Eight minutes to Shahrazad we’ve also crossed the border and have received communications concerning our blatant violation of sovereign space.”

I know Lafiel heard me but at the moment she cared little about those who were complaining. Right now our home was in danger if those who complained were to take action we’d wipe them from this universe in an instant and they know it. Saber rattling was all this was, something to address once the matter at hand was resolved.

Our transports sat waiting for departure it would take a half hour to finish loading personnel from the Village. Lafiel’s been gone almost thirteen hours she should be approaching Martine. Tara and Minchi are pacing the dock their shuttle sits ready for departure as well. Sobbash and Lafiel’s mother left the station several hours ago they’ve taken up positions around Shahrazad’s moons. Should the Zon be detected we will have about one hour to leave before the planetary defensive grid is activated. The transports will head for Doras then Minchi, Tara and I will head towards a moon. Usually we leave a corridor open in the grid for transport but this time not knowing where the Zon may come from or their intentions the planet will be surrounded.

“Jinto, that Abh princess of yours will keep her promise?” Minchi inquired.

I explained for what must be the tenth time that Lafiel will not be the first one to fire she’ll have to be fired upon first. Tara moved in between Minchi and me, trying her best to settle her sister down however she did ask one question that gave me cause to reflect.

“Lafiel won’t fire first, how about the rest of your forces? Can you guarantee me they’ll wait to take fire as well?”

Sobbash was never a first fire candidate I believe I can say the same for Lafiel’s mother, however Dai Lexshu, if she senses the threat she might shoot first and ask questions later. That’s why Lafiel is with her to prevent a mistake from causing all out warfare between our races. I really hope Martine was a decoy, if not Lafiel will be entering battle shortly.

Defiance sits behind the outer moon we’ve taken up position behind one of the inner moons. The plan is pretty straight forward we wait till the sensor buoys indicate something then ascertain who and their intentions. It sounded great on the planet and although I’m use to planetary conflict the Captain of the Defiance is not. Our link is very active while my crew tells her crew how to hide within the moons diameter and not crash into it as well. Once this is over I think I’ll teach Plakia some of the finer points of staying hidden. Right now Lafiel should be approaching Martine I figure within the hour we’ll know one way or the other what our next move will be.

The forward elements of the Zon Armada sit just outside the sensors net range. The commander that took the Armada from Tara and Minchi is receiving a report.

“Sir the decoy fleet has been spotted. The report states that one ship believed to be the Independence is approaching them from behind. No other ships are being reported in the area.”

“Interesting, only one ship was sent, move our forces forward. Take out their sensor buoys let’s see how many ships there are around Shahrazad.”

The element moves forward and encounters the buoys Dai left outside the net. Activated by the close proximity of the ships they blare out a warning before they can be silenced. In attacking the sensors the mines Dai left are also activated they do minor damage to two ships. The Zon have lost the element of surprise which infuriates its commander. She orders a halt to this elements advance and orders the rest of the Armada to surround Shahrazad. Placed outside of sensor range and not prepared to move on a moments notice they’ll take another twenty minutes to get into position.

“Mistress the alarm has sounded I’ve raised the shields around the platform and space station. It looks like we are being approached from two sides and if the group that set off the alarms moves forward, we’ll be effectively surrounded with in the hour.”

Tay accepted what she was told she activated most of the defense grid leaving a small gap in coverage for the transports to leave through.

“Tell Atosuryua she has less than an hour before I close the grid completely. Do we have contact with the force that left for Martine?”

“No mistress and communications are being interfered with. I have a link with Scholar but that is also experiencing difficulties.”

If Martine was a decoy Lafiel and Dai should be no more than fifteen minutes from Shahrazad, however if they encountered resistance. Tay ordered all defensive systems activated and on manual control Shahrazad would not fire the first shot.

Alarms sounded, displays became active, and it looks like the Zon were here in force. I wondered what Lafiel found but it was a momentary thought. Defiance was on the link they were seeing what we were, two forces moving slowly towards us, however the third force remained motionless. I instructed Plakia to remain in the shadow of the moon, at this moment there was nothing we could do but wait for their next move.

“Dai allow us to get closer to you. They are expecting one ship to arrive; right now we are projecting two signatures. I want us to show up as one, understand? And when we arrive I want you to remain cloaked. What ever is going on you are to take no offensive action have I made myself clear?”

“Yes Lafiel we’re slowing, we’ll merge in less than thirty seconds. I’ll stay cloaked and keep my finger off the trigger, but once the first salvo is fired, all bets are off. As far as I’m concerned seeing that Armada turned into a floating junk pile is fine by me.”

The link was put on standby and Dai said.

“Scan the approaching vessels and if any of the ships Minchi mentioned are there, target them. Once the first shot is fired we’ll take them all out in one fell swoop.”

Tactical data was beginning to be displayed on the main viewer Ariel pointed out that there was a new wrinkle in the plan.

“Captain the shuttle’s moved from behind the moon and is approaching the Zon flagship. I detect no shields or weapons aboard that vessel.”

“Jinto what do you think you’re doing?”

Neither Defiance nor I were in a position to intercept the shuttle. Scholar reported Lafiel and Dai were another four minutes away. I had Scholar tell Lafiel what was going on. To my surprise she was aware of the shuttles action. She said for us to hold our positions that she and Dai would handle the shuttle. We detected a faint energy signature but only one; I wondered where the other ship was?

They overpowered me and I’m restrained in the jump seat just behind them. Minchi had been acting a bit strange after we left but I figured it had to do with… I figured wrong it would seem that the two of them planned a course of action sometime back and now they were going forward and I was in the way. I noticed Tara fiddling with a panel off to one side of the ship. Now my understanding of the Zon’s written language is not the greatest. But once clear I saw it was a detonator. This ship was a flying bomb and one way or the other those two were going to avenge the deaths of their family members. I was looking for an opening to exploit when Minchi said.

“We have to be close enough before we implode the engines we must make sure their ship is caught in the wave and destroyed.”

A one sided plan and not very practical either I saw my opening and exploited it.

“We’re all going to die on the chance you’re lucky enough to strike a blow against one ship? What makes you think they’ll let you close enough to detonate this ship and say you succeed who’s going to lead your people then?”

It is common knowledge that strong emotions will override logic. With my statement I just engaged the logical side of those two and the results were predictable. Minchi glared at me with disbelief while Tara disabled the detonator and reversed our course. However we have been detected, two Zon attack vessels were on an intercept course they’d have us in less then five minutes. I had Tara change course towards the platform knowing if we got with in range the system would protect us, I hope. Minchi released me from the seat and I started scanning the area for our ships. They were too well hidden I saw nothing and knew communication would be refused. Our only hope was to reach the defensive perimeter of the platform before our pursuers caught us.

“Captain the shuttle’s reversed course and is heading for the platform, they are being pursued, time to intercept five minutes, time to our arrival three minutes.”

I knew Seelnay, Noel and Scholar were linked I waited for Lafiel’s response. I must say it was rather unique. When we dropped from light speed Lafiel was going to uncloak and face those following the shuttle my job was to maneuver this ship close enough to the shuttle to extend our shields around it. Now I hoped they stayed on the course they were on because any deviation would prove disastrous.

“Noel bring us to battle stations and tell the others as well. Risch I want everything available on a moments notice. Noel you’ve got the target list I’m sure Dai has them picked out by now sync our data when we arrive.”

Shahrazad filled the main viewer; we passed with in a quarter light second and then positioned ourselves in the path of the approaching fleets.

“The Zon are not stupid they know we are here so let’s show them.”

Independence uncloaked and raised shields opening a link to the Zon Lafiel made the following statement.

“Zon Armada. You have two minutes to reverse your course; if you do not your actions will be considered hostile and you’ll be dealt with accordingly.”

Lafiel closed the link and glanced my way.

“Start the timer Noel and tell the rest I’ll make the first move. No one fires unless they receive fire first.”

“Dai reports she’s in position and has a transport lock on the shuttle. Seventy five seconds to deadline and they’ve not changed course, they are heading towards Shahrazad. Atosuryua reports both transports are safely away they’re on course and beyond any interference.”

“Ha, one ship, a two minute warning she’s got to be bluffing. Tell the cruiser commander I want the shuttle destroyed. Tara and Minchi die today.”

“She’s a fool Minchi, did you hear those orders?”

Sitting in a Zon shuttle listening to their command frequency we had heard our death sentence being issued. We watched as the two attack ships targeted our craft. As Tara tried to evade them, Dai’s voice was heard on the navigational beam from the platform.

“Hold your course and prepare for transport, I’m three thousand meters off your starboard side. Should they fire I’ll place our shields around you and transport you here. I must emphasize do not alter your course. Acknowledge this message by pinging the platform twice in ten seconds.”

I sent two pings as directed and they confirmed my suspicions. We would not be within range of the defensive grid when our attackers intercepted us. It looks like the three of us would have died had our ships not returned when they did. That fact was not missed by those aboard the shuttle either. Tara sighed and Minchi try to say something that sounded like she was thanking Dai. It was ninety seconds before the Zon would be with in firing range.

“Thirty seconds Dai, shields and transport ready.”

I thanked Kufadis and then reviewed the plan one last time. Just as those ships were about to fire we’d encompass the shuttle removed the three of them and let the shuttle be destroyed. Lafiel and I hatched this plan not more than three minutes ago. I knew we could do it, I hoped we could, because if it went astray Minchi, Tara and Jinto would die.

“They’re scanning the shuttle and locking weapons.”

“Extend shields and transport on my mark.”

“Detecting energy surges in both ships”

“Transport, drop shields, starboard thirty, Arisa you’ve got them?”

“On the platform Captain all safe and sound.”

The shuttle exploded and vanished in a flash. The two ships reversed course and we sat watching. It was now Lafiel’s turn.

“Commander the shuttle’s been destroyed, the lead ship reports all three aboard perished.”

“Three? There were three beings aboard? I must know who the third person was; place the attack data on the main viewer.”

The scan of the ship showed Tara, Minchi and a familiar biological signature were aboard that shuttle. The commander sank in her seat she had just killed Shahrazad’s chief negotiator and mate to the woman she had just scoffed moments ago.

“Commander the Independence just cloaked I can’t find them. Our other groups have seen the data, they are reversing course and moving away from the planet. Commander? Commander!”

“Lafiel they’re safe. We go on as planned?”

Lafiel nodded and the ship became invisible. The course was set to position us right in front of the Zon flagship with Dai to our starboard. Sobbash and Plakia would hold their positions just in case the other two groups had a sudden change of heart, but Lafiel felt that when they learned Jinto was aboard that shuttle the threat of death no longer had the hold on them it had before. This ship becoming invisible also was a determining factor as well. They figured if they retreated they would not feel Lafiel’s wrath.

“Lafiel I’m receiving a broadcast from the Zon home world. You better hear this. I’m placing it on speakers now.”

“At twenty two thirty hours I, Zara, in the name of the Zon Imperial family, have staged a successful coup’ against the military takeover. All forces are to return to the home world immediately. Those who wish to disobey these orders I’ll leave your fate to the government of Shahrazad. We mourn the loss of my cousins, Tara and Minchi and the ambassador from Shahrazad.

To the government of Shahrazad I’ll want to make one thing perfectly clear. It was never the intent of the Zon home world to make an aggressive move towards your world. To those who are guilty of crimes against the Empire, you have two choices, come home and face punishment, or stay there and feel a form of Abh justice. The choice is yours.”

The transmission ended, it should be noted while Zara was speaking the two elements that disengaged earlier started moving away at top speed from our system. Also most of the ships that were behind the flagship retreated as well there were now eight Zon ships of the line facing Lafiel and I, those were odds I could live with.

“Ariel give me a firing solution, Kufadis monitor Lafiel closely, Arisa ship’s status.”

“Name it Captain and it’s ready at your command.”

The broadcast ended and it took everything Tara and I could muster to contain Minchi. It was Lafiel’s plan all along to fake our deaths what no one counted on was Zara staging a takeover. Here Minchi was fuming because Zara was running the Empire instead of Tara a fact which didn’t bother Tara in the least.

“Why that backstabbing little bi …”

I’ve never seen Tara move as fast as she did when Minchi started. She lunged at her and hit with a forearm across her face. Standing next to Minchi I was caught up in the fray. We tumbled off the transport pad and landed on the floor that was the last thing I remembered.

“Captain we got another problem, our Zon guests are trying to make their faked deaths permanent. I’ve got them restrained but it’s not going to last very long. Also Jinto took quite a shot in their uproar he’s being tended to as well.”

My head was throbbing, my vision blurred I felt like a hover sled had just run me over. There was a shadowy figure in front of me I tried to focus. Finally the face of the transporter chief became clear; she was holding my hand and applying a compress to my head. I tried to move but she stopped me.

“Hold on Jinto, you have taken quite a fall and that’s a nasty knot you’ve got on your forehead just lie still and relax.”

I closed my eyes and relaxed it was several hours later when I awoke aboard the Independence. It was all over I had slept through it all.

Lafiel had just finished reviewing Zara message when Seelnay related events aboard the Discovery to me I had no choice to interrupt Lafiel.

“Sorry Lafiel we need to make a decision and quickly. Tara and Minchi heard the broadcast there was a scuffle, Jinto’s been hurt but he’ll survive. And the Zon are now sitting in Dai’s brig in electronic restraints. We are one half light second from the Zon flagship I detect no activity it would seem Zara’s message has caught them off guard as well.”

Lafiel sat staring at the tactical display Dai’s information was being displayed eight ships in a loose formation sat off our bow. We could uncloak and take them out or… I watched as she struggled with the situation. My personal opinion was to disable the flagship board it and take the traitors into custody then deliver them back to the Zon home world. That would end our involvement in this matter and hopefully maintain some sort of order. An unprovoked attack on our part, while Zara warned those who remained that we had the responsibility for their lives, would still cause uproar within the Zon Empire, that could be avoided and Lafiel was aware of all of this. Her decision was…

“Noel inform Dai we’re uncloaking I’m sure we’ll be targeted. Tell Dai if the first salvo is fired she to target the offending ships and disrupt their power grids. Battle stations, shields to maximum, drop the cloak and open communications.”

“Commander the Independence is uncloaking off our bow. We are being hailed.”

“Your two minutes are up. Your actions have been determined to be hostile. Lower your shields and surrender at once. This will be your only opportunity to do so.”

“Target the Independence I’ll not surrender to that woman.”

“Dai, Lafiel’s being targeted by six of the eight warships. Independence shields will not absorb that kind of fire power for long. I’m ready to fire on your command.”

Lafiel was calling their bluff she purposely placed herself in this position knowing good and well that at least one ship would try to take her out but six of them decided to join in this time. I hoped their shields held until we could neutralize those ships.

“Energy signature on the flagship just jumped weapons discharge expected in three, two, and one.”

The forward array of the Zon flagship fired Dai ordered us into action.

“Execute the plan uncloak and fire.”

“Commander the Independence repelled our attack. A second ship is uncloaking to port I have no record of this ship it’s targeting us and firing.”

“Shields are down main power is off line I have no idea what just hit us but it’s also hit the rest of the group. We are dead in space.”

“Commander Zon forces Surrender or Die.”

Lafiel’s voice echoed throughout the bridge of the Zon flagship. Dai’s attack left them without main power weapons, propulsion or shields yet life support and communications remained functional.

“Damage reports all sections, transport Tara and Minchi to the ship and bring them to the bridge.”

Tay’s improvements held, we suffered minimal damage but Lafiel asking to have those two brought to the bridge, now that was unexpected.

“Noel open a link to the Zon home world. Let’s put an end to this here and now.”

“Link established and on stand by.”

The lift door opened and there stood Minchi and Tar still in restraints. Lafiel ordered the restraints removed and they came to her side. Tactical display became functional and Lafiel said.

“As you can see we’ve rendered the ships incapable of attacking for quite sometime. I have a link open to the Zon home world it’s about time the rumors of your deaths were laid to rest. I’ll leave cleaning this mess up to you and when the link is opened those ships will be able to hear every word that is said.”

Minchi looked at Tara, Tara looked at the display then Lafiel said.

“I kept my end of the bargain not one warship was destroyed, now its time for you to keep your promise as well. Noel is Zara there?”

I answered that she was Lafiel asked Tara and Minchi to stand either side of her and ordered the link active.

“Zara I have a little surprise for you as you can see both Tara and Minchi are alive and well. Also I have neutralized the remaining ships and will turn them over to Tara and Minchi. You should also know that Jinto survived as well.”

A stunned Zara took in the view of our bridge. She turned control of the Empire back to Tara without hesitation. Their conversation lasted a few minutes then it was time for Tara to face those who started this in the first place. Refusing and armed detail Tara and Minchi transported to the flagship.

We detected weapon discharges from within the ship, three minutes later Tara was on the link informing us the rebellion had been neutralized and as soon as maneuvering power was restored those ships would be leaving our system for the Zon home world. She thanked Lafiel and closed the link.

We remained with the Zon ships until they were capable of movement. In the mean time Lafiel ordered our transports back to the system and a general stand down of our fleet however there was one little matter that needed to be resolved.

“Lafiel, Jinto’s aboard and is resting. I just received another ultimatum about our transgression into their space. I think we should address this soon. They do have the capability to make life difficult for us if they so wished.”

Lafiel moved to my side she asked that I put Dai, Sobbash and her mother on a secure link and pipe them to her display. The link established Lafiel sat in the center seat and proceeded to recommend a new policy.

“We’ve coddled and cuddled that government for too long. These latest sets of demands are more than we can stand for. Here are my thoughts on the subject. Political pressures in that system have it on the brink of a civil rebellion. To that end, up until now, we have offered support quietly to them with the understanding we’d not transgress on their space. My original communications explained our situation at that time and requested permission to straight line sub light to Martine. It was refused, I’m sorry we tried, but space is space, no one has exclusive rights to it or the ability to restrict lawful usage of it. Therefore I’m sending the Resolute and Defiance to renegotiate our treaty. Sobbash your position is simple, demand everything, and placate nothing. If necessary pulverize a couple of asteroids to get your point across. Inform them that compliance is now mandatory or we’ll suspend all trade and assistance we are presently providing. If they inquire tell them we are willing to watch the system become unstable and then we’ll negotiate with the victors. I’m tired of this petty squabbling. Should they try to use force Dai and I are only minutes away. However the two of you have sufficient resources to defeat their fleet and home world IF it should come to that. My gut feeling is when the two of you show up their rhetoric will change substantially. Keep me informed and good luck.”

The link closed and Plakia sat with her mouth open. I guess she’s never seen this side of Lafiel before or maybe it’s because she never had to deal with a planetary system before. Either way we were leaving shortly and the normally active link between our ships was suddenly very quite.

“Pulverize a couple of asteroids? Was Lafiel serious?” Scholar inquired.

“I made the last treaty trip with Jinto five years ago. While we didn’t blow things up we did deflect an asteroid which in about ten years would have impacted the home world’s third moon causing quite a natural disaster. I guess they’ve forgotten that along with a lot of other concessions we’ve made throughout the years. It’s time to freshen their memories and if blasting a few asteroids to bits in plain view of their planet is what it takes then that’s what I’m prepared to do.“

The link was still open Plakia sat there taking in everything I had said. The navigator had the course on the display and we synced our ships.

Defiance reports ready Captain the course is on the main viewer, awaiting your orders.”

I sat back in the seat reviewing everything one last time before we jumped. I opened the ships intercom and said.

“This is the Captain speaking. We are heading to the Zumia home world to renegotiate our present treaty with them. As you know they have a small but potent fighting force. While I do not expect conflict we will arrive at battle stations and ready for anything they care to try, Captain out.” I closed the intercom and said.

“Signal Defiance we are leaving, set speed factor three, time to their outer defenses?”

“Fifteen minutes.” Scholar answered.

“Bring us to battle stations in ten minutes. Engage.”

We left Shahrazad and were on our way. Defiance was off our starboard beam at a distance of ten thousand meters. Fifteen minutes from now should add a little excitement to an otherwise dull day.

I acknowledged Seelnay's comment about Sobbash’s departure. Independence was returning to Shahrazad. Jinto was still having trouble with his vision and Lafiel wanted him back and in the Village hospital when the staff returned. We on the other had were to monitor the Zon Armada’s retreat and do a general survey of the system just in case they left something behind they shouldn’t have.

“Third sector scan is complete nothing out of the ordinary to report.”

I acknowledged Ariel’s report and sat back in my seat for the first time since we left Martine. Kufadis came to my side and placed his hand on mine. I felt relaxed I felt happy.

The high council of Zumia was in emergency session. Their scouts had just reported two warships were approaching the defensive grid. The defense forces were mobilized and heading to meet the incoming ships but something that just happened aboard the warships is making the council rethink there present position.

“Are you certain those ships approaching us are at battle stations?”

“I’m certain chairman Faust. Their ships just went defensive and are slowing; it looks like they’re stopping just short of the defensive grid.”

This was an unexpected response from Shahrazad; it was unlike Ambassador Lynn to show up ready for a fight. A heated discussion occurred it was decided to match the warships move and the defense fleet was brought to battle ready as well. The stage was set; it was now Sobbash’s turn.

“They’ve gone defensive Captain, Resolute is signaling for us to hold our position.”

Plakia Lexshu sat viewing the tactical display, unlike the Zon Armada there were about fifty ships forming a circle around them. These ships, descendants of those that destroyed the Gosroth, left Plakia with a very uneasy feeling.

“Tactical give me an outlook and defensive posture. Navigation plot us an escape route. Weapons officer be ready to fire on my orders. Inform Resolute we’re standing by.”

“Captain Defiance reports ready, however her data link shows she’s targeted about thirty percent of their fleet. Should I have her stand down?”

Sobbash sat taking the present situation. Her action had brought about a response from the Zumia home world that was not completely unexpected but that meant the high council and not the commanders were running the show. This prospect worried Sobbash in the past their commanders usually ran the interceptions, with this event being orchestrated from planet side she guessed that the council was in discussion about the events of the past day when they arrived.

Chairman Faust, while a professional politician, was also a very knowledgeable being he was well aware that her two ships could inflict major damage not only to their fleet but their home world as well yet they ordered an attack posture how interesting.

“Tell Defiance to keep her finger off the trigger for the time being. Scholar, give me your impressions of this situation.”

“Sobbash I don’t sense confusion from our opponents, more like a quiet confidence. It’s rather disturbing while I sensed discord with in the Zon Armada earlier. I believe, they think, they can defeat us in a fight, but I can’t find the reason for this confidence I’m feeling.”

Sobbash sat back in the seat she tied into the ships AI and made a wide sweep of the area. Only the ships surrounding them showed up on the scan however there were several planetoids that one could hide behind and avoid detection. The largest lay five million kilometers off Resolute port side an area that was not occupied with intercepting ships as well.

Just as she was contemplating her next move the voice link from Defiance became active.

“Whoa where Captain Dai... Ah never mind you much prettier than she... Zachary like you real good.”

“Scholar, switch Zachary to my display.”

Commander Zachary of the Dorian Royal Fleet was somewhere close. He’s had a crush on Dai for years but to his surprise he found a different Lexshu commanding this time. It left him speechless long enough for Sobbash to grab the transmission.

“Zachary, you wolf, what brings you to my section of space?”

“Oh Sobbash tis you, who stunning babe commanding Defiance you got to introduce me.”

“Maybe later Zachary, why the tight beam scramble communications I know it wasn’t to flirt with Dai so what is it?”

“Zachary comes to help you fight Zon but missed party. We decided to return home when saw you and Defiance streaking this way so we curious and come to see what’s going on. Sobbash you fly into trap look I show you.”

The image of a destroyer hiding behind a planetoid appears on the main viewer as Zachary continues.

“Outlawed by last treaty, this one fully operational, I have fifteen ships in group stationed at this point. Our orders do not allow us to directly enter combat however you pretty ladies take fire Zachary come to rescue, save you all we shall.”

Sobbash moved her gaze from Zachary to where Scholar sat. She sat fixed on the main viewer, eyes wide open hands resting on the armrests. She closed her eyes and said.

“Dai’s on the way estimated time of arrival six minutes Lafiel’s planet side she’ll not arrive for at least an hour. “

“Section eleven sweep is complete nothing here either. I suggest we start back home we are at the edge of the system…”

Seelnay stopped mid sentence and closed her eyes while she did her hands danced on the navigational console. She opened her eyes and displayed an image Scholar just sent her. The silence on the bridge was deafening.

“What the hell did Sobbash find this time? Battle stations, Kufadis inform Shahrazad we’re heading to Zumia, Seelnay tell me when the course is laid in, Ariel, scan the area but I do not want them to know we’re coming.”

Seelnay announced the course was set and Scholar was notified of their intentions.

“Arisa stand on it, engage max speed.”

Discovery jumped towards Zumia time enroute was six minutes.

To Be Continued in: “Might Does Not Make Right”
Last edited by Diaho on Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."