41_Might Does Not Make Right

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

41_Might Does Not Make Right

Post by Diaho »

Might Does Not Make Right

“Section eleven sweep is complete nothing here either. I suggest we start back home we are at the edge of the system…”

Seelnay stopped mid sentence and closed her eyes while she did her hands danced on the navigational console. She opened her eyes and displayed an image Scholar just sent her. The silence on the bridge was deafening.

“What the hell did Sobbash find this time? Battle stations, Kufadis inform Shahrazad we’re heading to Zumia, Seelnay tell me when the course is laid in, Ariel, scan the area but I do not want them to know we’re coming.”

Seelnay announced the course was set and Scholar was notified of their intentions.

“Arisa stand on it, engage max speed.”

Discovery jumped towards Zumia time enroute was six minutes.

Jinto knew more about medicine than I did something that became painfully evident once we arrived in the Village. Although the ships doctor was qualified Jinto’s injuries were beyond his expertise. We placed Jinto in an examination room. I took a scanner and was about to complete my first pass when Noel interrupted me.

“Lafiel… Sobbash’s has encountered… She’s in trouble. Dai’s on her way and she asked how soon we could join her.”

My creunoc lit up. The image was displayed, where in the hell did they find that at, and more over if it’s operational it will take the four of us to defeat it. Jinto reached from my arm and turned the creunoc towards him he squinted and when he made out the image he said.

“That lying low life, he swore he wasn’t negotiating to get his hands on one of those.”

That said Jinto made a valiant effort to stand he never got off the exam table. I had him pinned down and he wasn’t going anywhere. Noel still had the link open when she heard the commotion she inserted her two cents worth as well.

“Jinto lay down you fool. Cassie needs her father.”

That was all it took Jinto relented and Noel continued to speak, she was prepping the ship for departure. While Jinto and I had been in our discussion Noel had gotten a hold of Tay and a team was enroute from the complex. They would arrive in about twenty minutes, enough time for Noel to have the ship ready, and then transport me aboard when Tay arrived. Noel was back on the creunoc she said the following.

“Lafiel I’ve tapped into the data between the Discovery and Resolute there is audio, I’m feeding it to you now.”

“Seelnay our present position give us only one option. We are surrounded effectively on three hundred and forty degrees of the compass the twenty degrees that are open leads to the destroyer. Zachary’s group is well outside the entrapment but Sobbash does not want the Dorin’s involved in this matter also I think the Zumia know Zachary is there and they don’t seem the least bit worried.”

“Scholar can you scan the destroyer Dai wants more data on it?”

“Not possible it’s out of scanner range behind a planetoid we know its there because Zachary saw it and I’m seeing faint energy readings from the area.”

“Understood Scholar we’ll be there in four minutes.”

“Jinto I’m sorry, I don’t have twenty minutes to wait. I love you and hope you understand.”

Jinto squeezed my hand and told me he’d be alright. I left him with the ships doctor, stepped outside, and then contacted Noel.

“Ships status how soon will you be ready?”

“We are in the hover now soon as it’s stable I’ll come and get you.”

“Transporter Chief, do you have my signal?

“I’ve got you Captain waiting for the bridge to give the word.”

“I’m giving you the word. Transport me aboard and once I’m there, Noel get us out of here …”

I could barely see Lafiel standing outside the room then suddenly in a flash of bluish purple light she was gone. I heard Independence departing then fell into a deep sleep when I awoke Tay was standing next to me.

“Noel, Lafiel’s aboard, conversion is stable ready to depart.”

I thanked Risch, executed the course and cut every corner possible leaving Shahrazad. We missed two moons by a margin that even I felt uncomfortable about. I was ready to engage the cloak when Lafiel hit the bridge.

“Hold cloaking us and get Dai on scramble.”

Lafiel sat in the center seat, Dai was on the link then Lafiel started issuing orders.

“Dai stay cloaked upon arrival and stay away from Sobbash. We’re enroute, estimated arrival six minutes. I’m going to stay uncloaked because they are expecting me not you. You’re going to be our unexpected guest, I want you to get with Zachary, find that destroyer, ascertain how operational it is and put yourself in a position to disable it should the need arise. Have Seelnay relay this conversation to Sobbash and let me know when you’re in position. Independence out.”

“Noel get Chairman Faust on the link that man better have answers to my questions.”

I tried several times, our requests were being ignored, all that did was convince Lafiel the destroyer was operational and it was their plan to lure us into the trap along with Sobbash. There was one flaw in their plan, we knew it was a trap and they had something they shouldn’t have. However Lafiel was going to play along until the time was right.

Zachary’s eyes lit up when Dai appeared on his display.

“No time for pleasantries Zachary show me what you’re found.”

Zachary sent the information he had gathered before the destroyer raised its shields and scanning became difficult.

“Dai, darling, if I get closer I can get you a better scan, for you I‘d risk …”

“Relax Zachary no need to be a hero at least not now what you sent will work for me and thank you.”

A gushing Zachary disappeared from the viewer. Dai turned to find her crew staring at her and Ariel giggling quietly.

“Okay Ariel spill it what’s so funny?”

Ariel tried to hide behind her display but what was a giggle soon turned into uproariously loud laughter. She laughed so hard she had tears in her eyes and started coughing. As she finally regained her composure she said.

“Captain if you’ll look at the communications log, the reason for my out burst will become apparent.”

The log showed Zachary had sent Dai a very romantic poem attached to the data for the destroyer. Unfortunately he’d failed to encrypt it so Ariel saw it when she sorted through the data. Now Ariel was very aware of Dai’s present romantic life and this little note from Zachary was more than she could hold in. Kufadis glared at Ariel and then returned to the data from Zachary he too had seen his poem and was a little miffed with him self for not thinking of it sooner.

Dai read the poem and deleted it from the ships log. Embarrassed and angered she returned to the center seat.
They were a few moments from arrival this was not the time for a crew lecture that would have to wait.

The atmosphere aboard the Defiance was so heavy you could cut it with a knife. Plakia Lexshu had not experienced this kind of warfare. This so called stand off tactic was driving her to action it was then the audio from Resolute fill the bridge.

“Hold your fire. Discovery is here Independence is one minuet behind them any action you take will get us all killed.”

Plakia sank in the center seat, for one fleeting moment, she had been back on the Gosroth, surrounded and ready to be slaughtered. Hearing Sobbash’s voice made her realize she wasn’t alone and it was not as desperate as her mind was telling her.

“Captain we are receiving tactical data from Discovery and communications from Independence. I’m putting Independence on audio, and tactical on main display.”

“Commander Zumia forces this is Governor Lynn of the planet Shahrazad would you mind explaining why you’ve surrounded our vessels? And be quick about it you have thirty seconds from now.”

“Lafiel, Minister Faust is hailing us. I’m ready to connect and capture the conversation.”

Lafiel made her way to the main viewer and took position where she would be the center of the image. I connected the minister and started recording the conversation.

“Why are your ships here in a battle posture Governor? Answer that question first?”

“Your official complaint carried the threat of aggression we are just protecting ourselves. So why did you escalate the encounter by intercepting our ships and targeting them?”

Faust muted his audio and placed a folder over the camera blocking our view. I continued the recording and added a time stamp running in the corner of the data stream. About two minutes had passed when the minister returned to view and said.

“You’ve been found in violation of the treaty. Transgressing our sovereign space carries stiff penalties we are therefore ordering you to surrender your vessels and prepare to be boarded.

I motioned to Lafiel and got her attention I placed the planetary video stream on the secondary viewer, in the two minutes Faust was a way, we’d become a political tool, a rallying point for Faust’s government and of course the information being displayed was slanted and not in our favor. Our previous conversation was being aired; a highly edited version of it. Lafiel gave me the nod to override the planetary transmission with our own as soon as she gave the signal.

“Well I see we’ve made the evening news, however the image you’re using of me does me little justice. Right now I have a little image I’d like to share with you.”

Dai’s high resolution image of the destroyer appeared on the main viewer and Faust went pale. Suddenly the planetary transmission switched to another feed that’s when Lafiel said.

“Ah minister I’m disappointed with you. I figured your voters would want to see where their hard earned monies went.”

Lafiel held up two fingers behind her back. That was my cue to jam the planetary network in two minutes and substitute our own live feed.

There was silence on the other end you could hear muffled conversations in the background. When the time came I jammed the network and started the replay from the time we were accused of treaty violation to the point we were presently. My signal was showing up on every video feed on the surface and aboard the ships of the fleet as well. Lafiel’s patience was at an end it was time to lower the boom.

“I know you can hear me minister so I’ll be brief. We are not surrendering our ships nor are you boarding them. We are however arresting you for possession of an illegally obtained weapon of mass destruction. Now my question to you is where did you get that from and how much of the aid we’ve supplied to you was misdirected to obtain that item?”

The silence continued then the sounds of laser pistols could be heard in the distant background. We found out later that the resistance had been looking for an opening to act and with our ships keeping the home guard away from the planet the revolution had started. Lafiel took note of the planetary feed, we were still on and she decided to make our position known.

“People of Zumia, Shahrazad holds no malice towards you for these actions; however you should know that your present government is in violation of several treaties by possessing this weapon. As a treaty signee we are bound to destroy that device at once. I therefore make it known to those aboard that craft you have two minutes to abandon it before we open fire on it. And to the forces presently surrounding us you also have two minutes to disengage or face destruction. The choice is yours.”

I switched the view to Dai’s feed; the destroyer was beginning to move from behind the planetoid its intended target was this ship. Faust thought he was going to get the last blow in. Oh was he sadly mistaken. At the same moment the defense fleet armed weapons and targeted our three ships. Lafiel’s orders came swiftly.

“So this is your response remember you were given the chance to surrender. Take out the destroyer.”

As the destroyer cleared the planetoid, Lafiel gave us permission to fire. Ariel targeted the main reactors and we uncloaked. We were at optimum firing range.

“Ariel you may fire when ready.”

The main array discharge was followed by a massive explosion, although disabled, the destroyer still posed a threat. We had encountered these once before stopping them wasn’t all that easy, but now, with limited power it was not the devastating threat it posed earlier.

We still were viewing images from Independence Lafiel was making one last offer to the Zumia fleet.

“We’ve rendered your weapon useless I give you one last chance to surrender. You should know that all of your ships have been targeted and the next volley will be directed at you.”

Half the fleet broke target lock and moved away. The other half opened fire. Our response was immediate.

“Ariel its Showtime, you may fire at will.”

Our shields held, before I could hit the firing button, Dai unleashed a furious barrage upon the remaining fleet. Had Tay been here even her analytical mind would have been impressed with the firepower Dai displayed. One third of the remaining ships were badly damaged and the rest tried to scatter. That’s when Resolute and Defiance joined in the fight, a fight which lasted about six minutes or so.

We were still transmitting real time images and the response from planet side came quickly. A military commander made an open plea to all forces calling for their return to Zumia. When I lifted our jamming I saw there was fighting in the cities and the Capital as well. It would seem the resistance had taken advantage of our distraction and was making great gains with it.

We had one last task to perform, the destruction of the destroyer, after we learned where it came from. Dai’s attack had rendered most of it reactors inert however we were able to retrieve the memory core along with most of the crew before destroying it. Those crew members we left in Zachary’s care and after deciphering the data the four of us were on our way to the Altair system.

“Zachary why are you returning to Shahrazad, I believe you told me the Zon threat had been neutralized has it not been?”

The Empress image filled the display; one could tell not only was she concerned but she was showing just a bit of anger as well.

“My apologies Your Highness but Governor Lynn has entrusted prisoners to my care to be delivered to Shahrazad. She also left a coded message that I’m delivering to you at this moment concerning the rest of her request.”

Lafiel’s message arrived at the palace it was decoded and viewed by Her Highness and the advisory council. It detailed the encounter at Zumia and the origin of the destroyer found there. Lafiel not only requested Zachary to deliver the prisoners but to be a guardian force while she dealt with Altair.

Prime Minister Chow after viewing the data and evidence recommended that Zachary be allowed to continue on this mission. Once the link with Zachary was closed the prime minister let his true feelings be known.

“Your Highness for sometime it was suspected that the Altair salvage facilities have been; how should I put this, returning to service weapons that were destined to be scraped for a sizable price I might add. We’ve been trying to connect one of those weapons found operational to the depot. If the information Governor Lynn has is valid, she now has the evidence required to not only shut down the operation but also bring those responsible to justice. Altair has a formable fleet at its disposal and there have been rumors that certain criminal enterprises have been actively funding the operation. What I’m trying to say Your Highness if they are successful there might be reprisals and Zachary’s force being in the system may halt an attack until Governor Lynn can get everything settled.”

Her Highness looked skyward it was another pleasant day on Doras. The thought of getting involved in a conflict left her fearing for their peaceful existence, yet Doras was a full voting member of the Alliance. An Alliance Lafiel had formed after the encounter with the Zu’har. While it’s been years since then and for the most part peace has reigned in this section of the galaxy. Her Highness knew sometime somewhere someone would try the Alliance to see if it was truly a cooperative of the worlds involved or just a facade for Shahrazad to operate behind. The time had come to show those it was an alliance and to that end she ordered the rest of the Dorian fleet to its defensive positions.

“Minister Chow, inform Governor Lynn to expect our full cooperation in this matter. Then you may inform the rest of the Alliance of our actions as well.”

The Altair sun shines upon the eleven planets it keeps in it gravitational grasp. Altair V and Altair VI are capable of supporting life but it is Altair IV that Lafiel is heading for. Altair IV and its two moons were once part of the former Hanian Empire. Shrouded in a thick polluted atmosphere Altair IV numerous fusion furnaces were suppose to recycle the machines of war into the products of peace; well that was the original plan. It is now apparent that greed and power have entered into the equation. Even now news of Zumia is reaching those in charge of the furnaces.

“Faust has been ousted. The destroyer was discovered and destroyed. The Alliance planets have moved to a defensive posture and the ships of Shahrazad are no where to be found. I have no more than that to tell you Gar.”

Gar closed the link and stared at Altair IV, all operations planet side were being controlled from the closest moon to the planet. At one time Altair IV was capable of supporting life but through gross mismanagement by the Hanian’s the world was permanently changed. It was then the automated furnaces were placed on the surface and the production of arms began.

Now those furnaces are operating a reduced capacity because Gar had another enterprise on the side that didn’t require the use of the planet at all. This operation was being conducted from the second moon a place were warships were being salvaged for usable parts and those not so badly damaged were being repaired and sold to the highest bidder. In operation a little over a year now Gar and his associates had amassed quite a fortune selling scraped warships. Great care had been taken to hide the identity of every ship processed through that facility. But this message has left him wondering if this sale to Faust had been traced or if in fact there was something about that ship they missed that made it traceable to them. Gar informed his partners of recent events and returned to his work. A large shipment of salvaged arms was ready to be picked up and there was little time to worry about Faust’s demise.

Chow’s message had just arrived. Lafiel was pleased with the quick response from the Dorian government yet she also knew those involved were now aware of the situation and some of the element of surprise had been lost. Undaunted we made our way to the Altair system arrival would be in two hours.

From the time we left Zumia till now Lafiel had been in a planning session with the other commanders. There was disagreement on how to proceed, at first Dai and Plakia wanted to march in there and flatten everything. Sobbash argued successfully that Altair IV was an important piece of the universal trade. The loss of its furnaces for even a short time would mean great hardship for the members of the Alliance and those emerging worlds that depend on the flow of processed materials. Taking out Altair IV was not an option and it was removed from the discussion.

“Dai while neutralizing Altair IV sounds good it’s not practical. The amount of traffic in the area would mean trying to fight without targeting neutral ships a blockade is also out of the question. What we are going to have to do is catch them red handed and hope their base of operations is not on Altair IV itself. What I’m saying is Altair IV is off the target list period.”

“Okay Lafiel I see your point the planet is not a target, but consider this, assume for the moment, they know we are coming and decide to use Altair IV as a bargaining chip knowing we won’t attack it. What do we do then?”

Dai’s an excellent commander. Her ability to look at things from so many different perspectives and then express the opening that someone else would exploit, that’s what makes her a formidable opponent. I’m glad she’s on our side but I’ve noticed something I’ll mention to Lafiel later. It would seem Lafiel’s mother is accepting Dai’s values as her own given she supported Dai up till the moment Sobbash’s logic prevailed. Those two could become a formidable force to be reckoned with someday and I fear it’ll be sooner than later.

“Zachary you’re not in a position to argue. Turn over command of the group to Lauer and return to Doras with all speed. It is the order of Her Highness. I’ll see you in three hours.”

Chow’s message had finished and the screen was just becoming dark. Zachary sat back for a moment and wondered what he’d done this time to get ordered home. Chow was clear in one thing; Her Highness requested that he return and be quick about it. Turning command of the group over to Lauer was accomplished and Zachary was heading home at the ships maximum speed.

Chow had finished delivering the request as the Empress had requested however this time he was concerned, Zachary had done nothing wrong as far as he knew yet the reaction was…

“Chow I heard the conversation I thank you for following my wishes in this matter now I have one last thing I require from you.”

Chow had been so deep in thought he’d not heard her enter the room. The Empress handed Chow a pouch and continued.

“Meet Zachary upon his arrival and hand him this pouch. He will share its contents with you at that time, until then old friend, I must keep you in the dark about a few things.”

The Empress left the room and Minister Chow made contact with the transport department he arranged for a high speed shuttle to take him towards Zachary he felt waiting for his arrival was not what Her Highness wanted. Chow’s insight proved to be correct in this instance.

We’ve arrived on the outskirts of the Altair system. Our four ships are now engaged in passively scanning the system mapping its defenses, scouting its planets and moons. We were about half done when a large transport exited the Sord and made its way towards the Altair system. In an area teeming with ships, this transport attracted our attention because of its escort. Twenty light cruisers and not a one of them are displaying a transponder signature. I verbalized my concerns to Lafiel.

“Now this is rather odd. One monstrous transport with twenty unregistered cruisers escorting it, you think they might be up to something slightly shady Lafiel?”

Lafiel was at my side the high resolution image of the escort was coming across from Discovery.

“Twenty of those to escort one transport. I’m impressed you’ll take note of the markings I can only assume their here to acquire arms from the system. Altair has nothing of enough value to rate those escorts. Shadow them; let’s see where they are going.”

At their current speed they wouldn’t make Altair VI for another two hours. Altair V was another one and half hours travel and Altair IV was another hour on top of that. We decided to continue our survey something to prevent boredom from setting in while we watched them.

Minister Chow intercepted Zachary as he approached the edge of the Dorian system. Docking with his ship he handed the pouch to him. Zachary studied its contents and handed it to Chow. Reading it Chow said.

“I’m not sure if congratulations or condolences are in order. I’ve known for sometime there has been friction between the Fifth Fleet and Her Highness but to summarily relieve a Hero of the Empire and order you to replace her. Zachary I don’t think you’re in a position to refuse so I wish you luck and the blessing of the gods.”

Chow handed the pouch back and Zachary escorted him to his shuttle. Once Chow was safely on his way Zachary had one last thing to do, accept his orders and new command. Moving to the bridge he place the chip from the pouch into the navigational console and entered the unlock code. The computer verified the data and changed the coding of the ships transponder it now read ‘Flagship of the Fifth Dorian Fleet.’ Once the fleet command recognized the change of command a course was projected upon the screen it would take Zachary to the location of the Fifth Fleet. They were quite close at the moment and he moved towards them at maximum speed.

Zachary sat in the center seat, at that moment, his log monitor became active and the operational orders were displayed. Reading them carefully he transferred the appropriate data to the navigator, a course was displayed and he now knew why everything had transpired as it had. Rendezvous with the fleet was in fifteen minutes. Zachary issued orders for the fleet to be ready to move once he arrived. Looking back it would have been better if he had done something wrong this time but alas.

The Alliance consisted of eight member planetary systems with ten associated planets. Several of these systems use to be under Abh control and still kept ties with Lakfakalle. It didn’t take long for Lafiel’s exploits to reach the ears of those capable of communicating them to the Jade Throne. Lafiel was well aware of this she also understood that the Abh would never join the Alliance let alone acknowledge its very existence. They were the Abh Empire and not capable of accepting the fact there might be a better way to govern humankind. Yet Lafiel always felt that privately Duhiel was sympathetic to their cause, it was the lack of public ridicule that leads her to this belief.

The Dorian’s are the second strongest member and usually the ones promoting the peaceful path to settling differences. Their instant support for Lafiel’s actions and their convening an emergency session of the Alliance was seen by all as a shift in Dorian policy. Couple that with the complete mobilization of their fleet and sending a group to Shahrazad for support. One would assume that the Dorian Empress had finally had enough and her military was going to bear its sword this time. That fact alone made the session go rapidly; with in hours the rest of the Alliance was being mobilized and positioned in strategic locations to prevent an unnecessary misunderstanding from occurring. That was Alliance speak for; if you’re looking for trouble, you’ve found it. The Alliance issued a formal statement supporting Shahrazad’s actions and offering their complete support to Lafiel as she needed it.

This was a first and its impact on the Abh was profound. Buildings that were normally dark this late in the day were alight. Large scale planning sessions continued until dawn. If the Alliance was threatened or defeated the repercussions to the balance of the Galaxy could be immense. However there would still be no action taken to support the Alliance in any way.

My head ached it seems that now my eyes are covered and the area around my sense organ is as well. I’m restrained to the bed yet I know something has happened to me its time to find out what.

“Is anybody there?”

“Ah Jinto you’re awake. I’ll bet you’ve got questions let me get the Doctor and she’ll answer them.”

I heard the door open and Doctor Sasoum being paged. Looks like I’ve been out for quite some time the transports have returned and I’m guessing I’ve had surgery. Doctor Sasoum entered the room and said.

“I can’t go off for a moment without some catastrophe befalling you Jinto. You should know better than to try to separate two Zon warriors when their out for blood. The lecture ends, here’s what’s happened. You’ve had surgery to reattach the retina of your left eye. We also located and minimized a bleeding vessel around your sense organ. You’re lucky Jinto another few hours and you would have had to have the organ removed. The bandages come off tomorrow your sight will be impaired for a few days thereafter, given time, you should make a full recovery.”

The door opened and someone entered the room it only took a moment to know who it was the Baroness Febdash has always worn a fragrance, which my nostrils have picked up on.

“Atosuryua I’m assuming this is more than a social visit?”

I was correct, as the remaining senior member of staff, she was here to brief me on the happenings since my accident. I learned what happened with the Zon and the encounter at Zumia. I heard firsthand communications of both events. Then there was a pause although my senses were in confusion I could tell two things; one Lafiel was not on her way back to Shahrazad and two, what ever Lafiel was up to its danger factor was very high. Atosuryua has always had this bit of a hesitation in her voice when it came to the important part of a report she’d been silent for about thirty seconds when she took my hand and continued.

“Jinto the last few hours have been more than I care to explain, I’ll be brief, Lafiel’s in the Altair system. The destroyer was traceable back to there. The Alliance has fully mobilized and the Abh are aware of the situation. I expect Altair knows Lafiel’s coming, whether they know she’s there now or not is impossible to know. I know one thing for sure she’s at her wits end and what ever happens I do not see a peaceful resolution to this.”

The entire time Atosuryua spoke her hand trembled in mine I could feel all the apprehension she was expressing. Altair was a fortress yet it did have its weak points. Since Lafiel was not in battle I assumed she was sitting at the fringe of their sensor range, passively sweeping the system, mapping its points and waiting for something to draw her interest. Little did I know everything I was thinking had transpired and Lafiel was about to take action.

The Dorian Fifth Fleet comprised two hundred ships of that number one hundred and twenty were fighting ships of the line the rest were support vessels. Zachary split his forces, taking the best sixty ships, he put them in ten groups of six and sent them at intervals to a location where they would become a single force. Moving large numbers of ship secretly was nearly impossible. There were sensors everywhere and even though cloaked, sixty ships in a single formation would trigger energy sensors place along the route.

However small groups traveling well spaced from one another would stand less a chance of detection. Once the sixty were off, he ordered the balance of the fleet to proceed in a direction away from the sixty towards another point of rendezvous. It was hoped the large uncloaked movement of Dorian warships would hide their other movement. Zachary then left to join the sixty.

“Lafiel, a robot container ship just lifted off the outer moon of Altair IV. Its destination is the transport we’ve been tracking.”

Lafiel sat watching the tactical display there was no doubt this ship was on a direct course to the transport and as we watched the airlock on the transport opened allowing the container ship docking access.

“Scan the container ship I want to know its contents.”

My scan revealed the ship was loaded with assorted weaponry most of it should have been destroyed at the Altair IV furnaces.

“Noel, knowing the volume of that transport and the amount of cargo aboard the container ship, how many trips would it take to make their trip here useful?”

I figured it would take at least five trips to comfortably fill the transport and when the second ship lifted off the moon as the first one was leaving the transport I knew what Lafiel was up to. She was going to let them fill the transport to capacity before we captured it. At this rate it would be another three hours before that was accomplished. Using low power burst Sobbash, Lafiel’s mother and Dai positioned their ships in a blockade between the transport and the Sord. We sat scanning and recording the transaction as it transpired before us. It was those escorts that had me concerned, out of curiosity I passively scanned the one closest to us oh am I so happy I did.

I was absorbed in the tactical display I missed Noel’s scanning of the escort. The next thing I knew Noel slid back her seat and stared in disbelief at her display. I dropped tactical from my display and picked up Noels channel, these were not your typical escorts if each one of those ships were equipped as this one was these twenty could well equal forty. I have to assume if all of the ships are that well equipped, their crews were also well versed in the operation of the ship. We’ve confronted a professional mercenary group and if that is also true they’ll not surrender to us or any authority.

Plans started popping into my head this was no longer a mission to stop Altair IV this became an enforcement action. The Alliance charter gave me the ability to act without approval if I thought the circumstances dictated. I looked at it this way, that load of weapons was heading somewhere it wasn’t suppose to and no matter what their excuses might be those weapons were destine to be destroyed so if we started a small war today it was justified in my opinion.

I would like to know who’s controlled the transport and where those weapons are headed but we can’t let them leave this system. Sords are too unpredictable if we tried to follow them and lost them. No, that wasn’t an acceptable option in this case. I was hoping we’d find some answers but right now we needed a different plan of attack. Those escorts, on paper at least, looked like they could hold their own against our ships and they outnumbered us five to one. Not the best odds even though we did have surprise on our side, maybe we did.

“Commander Zachary six groups of ten are positioned as you requested, awaiting your orders.”

Zachary sat taking in the tactical display turning to the tactical officer he asked.

“Have we heard from the main fleet?”

“Yes they’ve arrived at point six two and they are station keeping.”

“Very well we wait, signal the groups I want them ready to jump at a moments notice.”

“Sir when will that be?” the officer inquired.

“You’ll know when, they’ll be no mistaking the time or where to go.”

Zachary sat back and returned his gaze to the tactical display. He knew what he was waiting for, he just hoped he’s made the right decisions, and if not they may all perish this time.

The new plan required us to reposition our ships once again. We were to target cruisers and take them out without warning. The forth container ship had just left the transport but I wasn’t seeing the fifth departing the moon.

“Lafiel I’m not seeing another container ship leaving the moon I think four is the magic number.”

As I said this the airlock closed on the transport and it began to move slowly away from Altair IV.

“They’re on the move; the course is reverse of their approach they’ll be at the Sord in five hours.”

“How long until their away from the main shipping lanes and in within range of our ambush?”

“About an hour and a half at present speed.”

“Signal the group; battle stations in one hour. Until then hold your position and hold your fire.”

Gar sat content this transaction was complete, once the credits had traded hands; he informed the commander of the transport what had happened with Faust. However he failed to mention the Alliance’s mobilization or that no one knew the whereabouts of the fleet from Shahrazad. Closing the link his lieutenant questioned his communication.

“Gar you only told them half of the story. They know nothing of the mobilization or the Shahrazad fleet. You really think that was a wise move.”

Gar turned to him, drew his side arm, pointed it at his lieutenant’s chest and said.

“You’re not paid to question what I do but since you asked I’ll tell you. That joker altered the deal. He got more than he paid for. Remember we are arms dealers not in the information business. I look at it this way he got what he thought was a good deal. We’ll never see him again and if he had honored the original agreement I would have told him to watch his step but you get what you pay for and since he’s gotten more already. I’m not giving him another bit.”

Gar lowered his weapon and holstered it turning away he headed towards the salvage depots office. The lieutenant stood motionless it was then one of Gar’s partners, who had overheard them, approached him.

“Remember I told you never to question Gar’s actions. I have to admit I’m surprised you’re still among the living. The one you replaced openly challenged Gar and he shot him. Your worries are justified but I’ll let you in on something. Gar’s got members of the Alliance in his pocket. We will never be attacked without prior knowledge of such attack. Right now you need to return to your duties and leave Gar to me.”

As the lieutenant walked off Gar’s partner stood there thinking, it had been several hours since Faust’s fall yet there had been no communications from those who were in Gar’s pocket. He began to wonder if Gar’s pocket had a hole in it.

We were at battle stations our targets were approaching us and we were fairly sure they did not know of our presence. The plan was simple we let them into the narrow corridor between the asteroid fields and then once they couldn’t maneuver. We’d open up on them unannounced. We were hoping in the confusion to take out about eight to ten ships put with our first salvo. After that it could prove rather interesting, we’d be uncloaked and they would still have us outnumbered. Lafiel was confident we could strike a stunning blow, I personally have serious reservations about that and Lafiel is aware of my feelings.

“Noel I understand your concern but look at this logically for one moment. We have an arms shipment destine for who knows where. Those cruisers are capable of taking on about one third of our Alliance and winning. If we let them go consider the consequences. They will have the arms and the means to use them. One has to wonder where they’ll use them and how soon. Sorry this time we have to use brute force and if we go down then we go fighting. Hopefully this conflict will be a wake up call to the rest of the Alliance that peace through strength is our only hope at this time. Words only go so far you have to back them up and this is our way of enforcing those words.”

The inter-ship link was still active responses started to come from the rest of our ships. Sobbash agreed with me but understood Lafiel’s position. Dai and Lafiel’s mother said it was time to show those who disobey the rule of law there are consequences for their actions. I felt slightly vindicated that Sobbash did support my view and I now understand what Lafiel was thinking I relented and acknowledged Lafiel’s orders.

“Noel put a copy of all the data on a buoy and launch it toward the Sord just as the first shots are fired. There is an Imperial patrol due in six hours time they’ll retrieve it and the information will make its way back to the Alliance.”

Lafiel’s request was accomplished the buoy was ready and I was still concerned for our safety.

“Traitor, how dare you side with those beings and here I thought you were a loyal Dorian all this time. You’ve been tried and convicted of treason and under our laws you will be put to death immediately.”

The former commander of the Fifth Fleet stood quietly before Her Highness. She knew she had no defense and nothing to say. It was true she had sold out the Alliance and hoped to become its new leader. Removing a laser pistol from her side the Empress felled the commander with one shot. As the body was being removed as Minister Chow spoke.

“Your Highness when word of this reaches those involved…”

The Empress cut Chow off cold and said.

“You’ve read Zachary’s orders what you don’t know were the operational orders the ID chip carried. Have patience Chow everything is going according to plan. Now all we have to do is wait.”

A mystified Chow left the palace and headed for his office in the Ministry of Information complex. Bewildered by recent events he decided to monitor the Fifth Fleets attack frequencies in the hopes of gleaning some information that would shed some light on what the Empress had just said.

“Thirty seconds to firing point all ships show neutral defenses.”

The time arrived they had entered our trap; Lafiel uncloaked and opened fire upon them. The rest of the ships followed suit we were successful in downing ten ships but their response was unexpected.

“Lafiel’s the transports armed they’re targeting Sobbash.”

“Zachary, weapon discharges observed looks like one very nasty fire fight.”

“All units prepare to jump. Your targets are anything not belonging to the fleet of Shahrazad. Jump now!”

Sobbash took the brunt of their assault; her shields were down, main power off line they were barely holding on. Dai extended her shields around Sobbash but it was a temporary fix the Resolute was lost. Independence and Defiance kept pounding the remaining ships but it had become a stand off. Dai was unable to fire and protect Sobbash. It would be a few precious minutes before Sobbash’s crew was recovered then…

“Lafiel, multiple jump points forming we’re surrounded receiving transmission from approaching ships I’m putting it on speakers.”

“Groups one and three the cruisers on the left, group two and four, the cruisers on the right. The rest of you with me and protect those warships.”

Six jump points opened and sixty Dorian warships popped into view our attack frequency became active.

“Dai give me your status.”

“Zachary we’re fine, Sobbash is not. Cover us while I finish the crew transfer.”

While the cruisers were taking a beating the transport made a run towards the Sord.

“Zachary stop that transport at all cost.”

The Dorian’s kept fighting while the transport was getting away. Lafiel ordered us to disengage and head towards the transport, it was then the Sord became active and Zachary said.

“Relax Governor that transports not going anywhere come back and join in the fight.”

Dorian warships, transports and support vessels poured from the Sord. They engaged the transport and with in fifteen minutes it had surrendered. The cruisers on the other hand had no intention of surrendering. They fought till they were no more.

One hour after the first salvo was launched the area was littered with wrecked spaceships, one of those being the Resolute. Dai had managed to rescue the crew but the ship was lost. A Dorian tender took it in tow and proceeded towards the Martine Repair Yards where Paveryua would salvage the ship before it was recycled.

Lafiel moved Sobbash and Scholar to the Defiance to augment their crew and then she opened a link with the Dorian’s about our next objective the base at Altair IV.

“Gar, GAR!!! The transports been captured, the escort fleets annihilated, looks like it was the fleet from Shahrazad and the Dorian’s. Also there is a transmission from Doras you’d better see.”

Groggy, Gar stumbled into the main office there on the display was a repeating news flash from Doras concerning the execution of a high level traitor. When Gar saw who it was he lost his footing and grabbed for a near by chair. Steadying him self he turned to those in the room and said.

“We are on our own. My connection with in the Alliance has been removed; expect the fleet to come after us with in the next few hours. Those of you who wish to flee may do so just remember the Dorian’s and those Abh will not let you live in peace. The rest of you prepare the defenses we’ll fight to the last man.”

Planning for the assault on the moon went slowly at first. However once Zachary shared the information he had gained at Doras Lafiel’s outlook changed completely.

“So Zachary you’re telling me that they know about our ships designs, their flaws, and that’s how they took the Resolute down so quickly?”

“Afraid so Governor, the only ship that there is no operational data on is the one Dai commands. I must admit that is one fine piece of work I’d give a years pay to see the inside of that ship.”

Lafiel muted the feed to Zachary and brought Dai, Sobbash and her mother up on a separate channel. Lafiel’s words were blunt to say the least.

“Here’s my take on recent events. That dead commander sold us out and died for doing so. I’ll have to assume that those in charge of the moon know everything the commander of the transport knew which means they can disrupt our shields…”

Lafiel sat back and pondered the situation then she said.

“Arisa are you on the link?”

“Yes Mama!”

“What are the possibilities of modifying the other two ships to make then less vulnerable to a hacking attack?”

“Somehow I knew you were going to ask that. There might be a way to add another layer of security to the system but it’s going to take a few hours to do. Hours, I’m willing to bet, we don’t have to spare. Let me dive a bit deeper into the problem and now that Sobbash and Scholar are aboard the Defiance we’ll run a couple of simulations and get back with you shortly. That’s the best I can do for the moment.”

Before Lafiel brought Zachary back into the conversation she had one more question of her commanders.

“Be honest with me about this; I’d like a full ships status and damage report right now.”

“Discovery’s fully operational, we fused several power couplers rescuing the crew of the Resolute, but engineering has repaired those and as I said we are fully operational.”

“Lafiel, Defiance will be operational with in the hour we’ve buckled several armor plates and the crews repairing them. If we were to proceed now to the moon I’m sure we’d be operational before we arrive.”

Lafiel’s mother left her seat and Sobbash took it. Trying to relax she reported her condition as well.

“Resolute is out of commission and abandoned. We sustained damage to every major system aboard the ship along with several haul breeches. I must also report that three crew members perished in the attack and another ten were transferred to the Dorian hospital ship. Resolute is under tow to Martine for final disassembly, the balance of my crew has been divided among the fleet. We stand ready to fight Lafiel.”

Sobbash stood, adjusted her uniform and moved out of view, it was then Lafiel’s mother returned to her seat and addressed her daughter.

“It’s your turn daughter; I’d like the ships status and damage please.”

Lafiel said we were operational and ready for combat, I noticed while Lafiel was conversing with her mother Dai’s link went silent and then another link opened up to Zachary. I wondered what she was up to.

“Zachary, are you there?”

Dai’s face lit up his display but the happy go lucky Zachary seem disturbed by something so Dai asked him.

“Sorry Dai for not answering sooner. I don’t know how to put this so bear with me. I just heard from the hospital ship two more of Sobbash’s crew have succumbed to their injuries and the doctors says three more might not make it back to Doras. I’m sorry Dai I need to inform Sobbash of this but I’m unsure of how to.”

“Zachary you’ve told me I’ll inform Sobbash when the time is right; for the moment this stays between the two of us, do you understand me?”

“As you wish Dai, how soon till the Governor gets back on the link?”

“Soon Zachary, very soon. Discovery out.

The link ended, Dai reached for her coffee cup and hurled it towards the bulkhead. Seelnay stopped it in mid flight, retrieved it, and placed it on her console. Approaching Dai she took a position between her and the door then said.

“That’s enough, Captain, I’m in your head, and you can’t lie to me. Do not blame yourself for what has happened nor second guess yourself. Your actions were correct and logical had you hesitated one moment to ponder, Sobbash and her crew would have perished. You’ve been pushing yourself since we left Shahrazad I suggest strongly you go below and get some rest before we encounter those on the moon.”

Dai’s run in with both Seelnay and Scholar were stand offs with the later usually coming out on top. She turned command over to Seelnay and left the bridge. Seelnay took the center seat, transferred navigational control to her station and said.

“Arisa, work on getting a resolution to the shield issue, Kufadis reopen the link to the fleet, the rest of you check everything once again. I want to be ready when I give the ship back to the Captain. That is all.”

“Lafiel, Discovery has rejoined the link establishing it now.”

Seelnay’s face appeared on the screen. While I had an idea of what had happened over there Lafiel was not amused in the least.

“Where’s Dai?

“She’s resting; I’m ready to continue the planning session. Are you ready to bring Zachary back into the link?”

A nod in my direction and Zachary appeared on the viewer, he seemed absorbed in something it took two tries to get him to answer us.

“Zachary I need your fleet status and intentions.” Lafiel’s amusement level was very low. Zachary answered this time because if he hadn’t I could see Lafiel transporting over to his ship to gain his attention.

“I’m sorry Governor Lynn, our status, we are fully operational all one hundred and twenty of us. However I’d like to suggest we leave half of the fleet guarding the Sord just in case they have sent for reinforcements. A little insurance policy don’t you agree? The other sixty of us will accompany you to Altair IV you’re not the only one who’s got a score to settle.”

Lafiel agreed and asked if the Dorian’s would go on ahead and clear the area around Altair IV using just light signals, standard communications would give us away. In an instant we were underway, it had been a little more than an hour since the last salvo was fired and we were on our way to the moons of Altair IV.

“Minister Chow.”

“Empress?”

“I’d like your opinion Chow; do you think my handling of the commander was proper?”

“It’s been almost two hundred years since the last public execution and if memory serves it was your great grand mother punishing the one who killed your great aunt over a very trivial matter. Oh I do believe you did the right thing Your Highness. You’ve sent a message to those who doubted your conviction, not only to the Alliance, but to our way of life.”

“I see Chow and when the facts concerning Zachary are made public what then?”

“Ha the world thinks Zachary a fool, what they are going to find out is how brilliant he really is. Putting him in command was a wise choice he can work with their fleet and has all the knowledge to bring about a resounding victory. Your faith in him was well served Your Highness.”

“Chow, how I hope you are correct for if not we’ll both be…”

“Have Faith Your Highness Have Faith.”

Planetary combat, for an Abh, is very simple, wipe the planet from space and move along. For us it takes on a whole new meaning. We live on a planet and realize how delicate the balance is not only between planets and their sun but planets and their moons. We have the fire power to make the moon vanish, bust it up into little pieces of dust, but the effect on the Altair system would be enormous and disastrous. So we have to capture a moon without turning it to dust. How exciting, that’s how Scholar put it, tedious would be a better description but none the less we have to stop those people from continuing what they’ve been doing.

Lafiel decided to let those on the moon know we were coming in the hopes they would end this before it started. Our first communication with them was our last. When asked to surrender they replied in no uncertain terms that surrender was not an option and they welcomed us to try to take their base. Annoyed Lafiel snapped the link off and said.

“What is it with these former members of the U.M.K.? They know we can level the moon, yet they sit there as defiant as if they had a fleet of thousands with them. Humans, I don’t think I’ll ever completely understand them. Noel do a long range deep scan see if they actually have a fleet hiding with in the system and notify Zachary his hunch about reinforcements might be correct. I wonder… ”

Lafiel sending me Scholar and Sobbash was a blessing. Scholar took over the science station and Sobbash moved into the tactical position. They seemed quite attuned to each other and operated with few words said. I watched as they seem to formulate a plan not knowing that Scholar was working with Noel and Seelnay to assure our victory. Telepaths, few Abh have that gift, or is it a curse, this I do not know. What I do know is that I’m at a comfort level I’ve not experienced in a very long time.

“Seelnay move to this position and scan the area again I’ll merge the results and let you know.”

Noel thinks she’s found something but with the amount of traffic in this system it’s becoming difficult to separate potential foes from those friendly ships. Zachary is clearing the area of ships for one light year around Altair IV but this set of shadows seems to be at…

“Gotcha, Noel just beyond Altair XI outer moon that’s the shadows I’m seeing. Multiple moored targets but were still unable to tell you what they are.”

Once I had said that we saw energy readings from that area six, eight, no, ten separate readings their signature was unmistakable former UMK destroyers similar to the one we had just defeated at Zumia my response was immediate.

“Battle stations! Captain to the bridge! Ariel, give me a firing solution on those ships. We have to knock them out while they’re powering up. Once operational they eat us alive.”

I was slow in my response and Seelnay was already making a bee line to the area before we reacted. Zachary and thirty ships fell into trail behind Discovery. Defiance and we were about thirty seconds behind Zachary. It was all happening too fast something else was tugging at my mind I expanded my range and saw the real threat. Behind the second moon of Altair X sat a platform an anti ship platform and Seelnay was heading straight towards it.

“It’s a trap Seelnay, to your starboard thirty – five and five million kilos, a platform and it’s locking on to you.”

I moved Independence into position and we fired blindly at the platform. Luck was with us my salvo rocked it enough that is barely missed Discovery. Retreating behind Altair VIII we took another look at the surroundings. The destroyers were protected by several platforms, taking them out and still getting to the destroyers before they became operational was nearly impossible. Now I understood the confidence of the moons occupants, they had their bases covered, or so they thought.

Noel had just saved our hides and when Dai hit the bridge she took a large piece out of mine. I was reckless; my zeal to render those ships useless almost led to our demise. I knew it and Dai knew I knew it however she also commanded this ship and reminded me of my place in its hierarchy. I gave her back the center seat without hesitation.

Seelnay is correct we have to neutralize as many of those ships as possible before they become mobile. I tied into the scanning grid and found a way to reduce the number by at least half. I transferred tactical data to the main display then overlaid the area scan and said.

“There is a weak spot here. I believe if we take out those three platforms I have indicated we can plow through the debris field and have a clear shot at half of the destroyers. Opinions?”

We were communicating with the fleet as well. Sobbash gave my plan a thumbs up Lafiel said they’d supply covering fire for our effort and Zachary said his forces would watch our backs. I really didn’t expect much help from the Dorian’s but so far they have impressed me.

“Kufadis monitor those ships let me know the moment any of them are operational. Ariel I want a simultaneous barrage on those three platforms. Arisa notify me if we start to overtax any system and Seelnay put us in a position where we can accomplish this. Now go, the longer we wait the harder its going to be.”

Dai’s plan was in motion for our part Defiance and Independence were to provide covering fire. At Lafiel’s insistence we were going to give the platforms a target that would move their firepower away from where Discovery would make its attack. Defiance had a simple task; as we were being targeted, fire a salvo at the closest platform, and then move behind the third moon of Altair X. A nice simple and safe move for them, even though their crew had members of Sobbash’s crew aboard, they were still ‘green’ in Lafiel’s eyes. We’d already lost one ship and we were not about to lose another.

“We’ll take the platform on the left, Defiance you take the one on the right and then get clear no heroes today. Dai signal us when you’re in position.”

Thoughts raced through Zachary’s mind his orders left him little options. They were to supply support for the Shahrazadian fleet but not to initiate combat on their own. Their ships, while numerous, still did not have the fire power of the fleet that remained, yet they were down one ship. His sixty with combined coordination could supplement the missing ship. A decision was made to interpret the orders in a slightly different light and he opened a secure link to Dai.

“Listen Dai, I’m about to do something um ah heroic but I’m going to need your tactical data. When you start for those destroyers I want a crack at a couple of them as well.”

Discovery’s response showed upon his main viewer. There was the complete attack plan for the destroyers. Two ships were highlighted on the display and the Id tag said simply ‘Good hunting’.

Dai was almost in position when the tactical display flashed. What appeared were two groups of Doran warships, the two remote destroyers were their targets. Lafiel gazed at the display, turned to me and commented.

“Seems Zachary has had a change of heart, I wonder how much trouble he’s going to get into this time.”

Personally I didn’t know and I didn’t care. What I saw was the odds had shifted markedly in our direction. This enterprise now took on the looks of an attack that might succeed something five minutes ago I would not have been so sure of. Dai signaled she was in position and we opened up on the platform then Defiance opened up on the other one. Our confusion gave Dai her window and she seized it before our salvo ended the platforms lay in waste.

Blasting through the debris field gave us an unexpected surprise. Discovery opened a path and when it took out the last asteroid in our path there was a violent explosion. It would seem they were using that asteroid as a storage facility and we just took its stores out of the picture. Another unexpected benefit was the debris pattern from the explosion was heading directly towards the moored destroyers. I was told at one time ancient humans use to throw rocks at one and another when there were no weapons around. Believe it or not spaceships seem to dislike rocks hurled at them as well. We did considerable damage to those ships before we started assaulting them.

Zachary’s groups preformed well they took out their targets and helped in the mop up of the area. Our forces did as expected and Dai managed, with one very lucky shot, to disable most of the outlying ships. Three hours after the first salvo we held this part of the system and then turned our attention to Altair IV.

“Gar, those fools didn’t realize how powerful their enemy were all of the outlying ships are out of commission. We have been cut off and surrounded. The governor of Shahrazad wishes to speak with you about our surrender.”

Gar’s confidence was gone, once he though he was all powerful now his ships were scrap. The scrap they should have been in the first place. He was being given the option of surrender, this time he swallowed his pride and saved his hide by surrendering to Lafiel. Seems the acquisition of absolute power has a very heavy price.

Clean up took several more days in that time we learned of those who perished on their way to Doras. Sobbash was taking it very hard as captain she felt responsible for what had happened. Although a board of inquiry into what happened would find her innocent of any wrong doing. She was in the wrong place at the wrong instant, something she still hasn’t accepted.

It’s been a month since that battle and much has changed, Sobbash no longer desires to go to space and in that vein we will stay at three ships for the foreseeable future. The Alliance has a new standing in this part of the Galaxy, thanks to the threat Gar exposed they’ve become a unified force and someday they'll be a force to be reckoned with. We’ll stay a part of this Alliance till the bitter end it would honor those who have perished making it.

Lily lies sleeping and Risch will be home soon. I guess I should think about preparing a meal or face the wrath of my family. I wonder what the future will bring I hope Lily and the others have a better life than I’ve experienced.

To Be Continued in: The Future

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."