43_Remembrances of Things Past

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

43_Remembrances of Things Past

Post by Diaho »

Remembrances of Things Past

“Lafiel, are you still awake?”

“Yeah Jinto sleep is not coming to me tonight. I think I’ll go read a book or something. Are you able to sleep?”

“Not a chance my conscious won’t disconnect. Want to do something together, something to pass the time till sleep finally arrives?”

“Yeah I wasn’t in a mood to read anyway, it looks like you’ve come up with something?”

I produced the black box and handed Lafiel her alpha. Donning my alpha we inserted the data crystals and retreated into a world of our own making. A world where there was no pain or strife a complete disconnect from this place. We fell asleep while in this world. The box sensed our sleep and disconnected leaving the memory of what we were experiencing to comfort our pained subconscious thoughts. We slept very well I have to admit.

“Sub light in three, two, and one.” We appeared just outside the planetary grid. Cloaked we crept silently into our berth and docked. Defiance arrived two minutes later. I left Dawn to secure the ship. Grandmother and I grabbed a shuttle to the surface. We wanted to arrive unnoticed, however if Noel was awake I’m sure she’s figured out we’re back early.

Looking back to the station I’m still awed with the ships grandmother and I command. Starships now, no longer warship, we are children of the stars and our ships should carry that forward. These ships, completed a mere five years ago, were the last ships designed by Samson and Risch in cooperation with the Guardians. Sleek, fast and capable of defending themselves they are the pride of not only Shahrazad but the Alliance as well.

Adjusting our reentry path so we pass over the Guardians complex, grandmother and I get another surprise. The new Discovery sits moored to an arrival pad not the test cell where it was when we left six months ago. If I didn’t know better I’d say it was heading to space and very soon. No longer buried in the test cell we get our first look at the complete ship; it is very impressive. Lily has outdone herself the ship is beautiful and big. I guess I didn’t realize how much bigger it is than our ships but it seems Auntie Dai always gets the biggest, fastest and best armed ship in the fleet. I have no objections to this fact I’m just glad there will be a ship for her to command soon. Having her sitting around is problem some.

Noel taught me to fly, using her training I manage to do the overhead far enough away that we sounded like distant thunder to the Island and the Village. Stretching our glide to its limit we touched down on the lake shortly after sunrise. Mooring the shuttle we find Sobbash waiting for us, I swear it’s almost impossible to arrive here without someone knowing. I accept the fact we tripped a sensor somewhere and report our trip results to her. Once we were finished she asked that we follow her to the administrative offices. There we were going to have a briefing about the recent occurrences on this world as well. Entering the office we find Scholar and Seelnay waiting along with Noel.

Sobbash’s briefing was not the dull ho hum briefing we have had when we usually return from a trip. This time there was drama and it would seem quite a bit of it while we were gone. After Sobbash finished Scholar took the floor, her discussion I believe everyone in the room was hearing for the first time. The subjects were my parents and their newest form of recreation. Scholar handed each one of us a report from Jasmine after she examined them three weeks ago. The report was fairly sketchy which didn’t surprise me but Jasmine wasn’t interested in their physical health. She was worried about the amount of aloofness they showed while in her office. Discretely she took mental scans; it is those scans that are the crux of her report. It would seem the reality of this world was driving my parents to become escapist. Something that left unchecked could very well render them… I threw the report on the desk and cornered Scholar.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner? Why haven’t you pursued this further? Why?”

Grandmother took my arm and sat me firmly back in my seat. Getting my undivided attention she said.

“Cassandra I’ve know about this for quite sometime, I recommended that you did not know about this until now. I’ve watched you struggle with your parents and I took it upon myself to be watchful of my daughter and Count Hyde. This gave you the ability to finish our mission. Had you known you would not have been any good to anyone am I correct?”

Grandmother was correct had I known I’d been unable to complete my mission. However, no, I guess this was the correct time to tell me. It was better than me walking in cold on them and finding…

“Cassie, Jasmine has asked that you come and see her before you see your parents. Also Ms. Pratt might enjoy seeing a familiar and closer to her own age face appear as well. It would seem that we older adults are rather stuffy to her if you’re following me.”

I took a step toward grandmother, stopped and thanked her for watching over Mom and Dad. Borrowing Noel’s hover cycle I made my way to the Village.

Seelnay watched as Cassie left the Island. Once she was out of sight she produced another report and handed it to Plakia Lexshu. She opened it, thumbed through its contents, sat it on the table and said.

“Lafiel and Jinto have always been full of surprises. If what Jasmine saw could be fact, this might prove to be one of the more memorable remembrances we’ve had. I’ll assume this is what Jasmine wanted to speak with Cassandra about?”

Seelnay nodded then she handed the folder to Sobbash and I. We read through it and placed it back on the table. Seelnay retrieved the folder and placed it back in her bag.

“The only reason Jasmine wished for you to see this was to understand what Cassie’s about to go through. I must stress in the strongest terms that none of what you’ve seen shall leave this room. Cassie must never know we knew this before she did and you must not convey any of this to the crew of the Discovery. Once these facts are confirmed, Cassie will seek out Dai for her consolator, if Dai has knowledge of what we’ve just read that console would be tainted. This was something Jasmine stressed to us that we not interfere in any decision Cassie comes to on this matter. I need you to tell me you understand everything I’ve said and agree to these conditions without reservation.”

The oath was taken then Scholar and Seelnay left. The three of us took a sunrise stroll to the lagoon to ponder on what we’ve read.

“Dai my offer still stands, when you tire of this life another life awaits you in the Dorian Empire. I can make use of your skills and we do have a few more comforts than Shahrazad does. But back to what we discussing before. The Princess and the Count never recovered from the loss of their son? That is so sad it must be taxing on all of you watching and being unable to act…”

“You don’t know the half of it Zachary. I’m watching Cassandra being slowly torn to pieces over their actions and they seem either not to care or they are completely unaware of what they are doing to her. You realize that not once on our six month trip did they communicate with her. NOT ONCE!”

“Dai, breakfast is being delivered to my cabin I would like for you to join me. I have a transport lock established tell Ariel we’re having breakfast and I’ll bring you across.”

I called the bridge and informed Ariel I’d be having breakfast aboard the Dorian flagship and that she was in charge.

“Ready for transport Zachary, breakfast better be something memorable.”

I was gone in a flash of light, breakfast was wonderful.

“She’s gone I hope breakfast is good, Ariel have you noticed the Captains depression as well?”

I had and I was so happy she accepted Zachary’s invitation. This ship in its present condition is quite depressing. That depression was infecting the crew as well we were still four hours out and … the alarm startled us.

“Damn this scowl all you got to do is stay together for another five lousy hours is that too much to ask?”

There was a fire in the forward sensor room. While it had been extinguished, our ventilation system was already compromised. As the smell was creeping throughout the ship, Arisa opened a link to those towing us.

“We’ve had another fire aboard, this one the systems not going to clear out. Contact the transport and tell them to stand by. We’re going to have to abandon the ship in another fifteen minutes or less. Tell our Captain to stay put, she’s got the best room in the fleet. I’ll contact her when we’ve finished transport.”

Transport went off without a hitch. Arisa was the last to leave she cut all power aboard the ship as she left. From the transport we watched as Discovery went dark, a not so fitting end to a marvelous ship. Arisa found me and said.

“I’m hungry Ariel; want to try some Dorian quiescence on for size?”

Arisa and I found the galley the meal was fit for a king.

“I’ve just heard from the Dorian tug. Discovery has been abandoned. They had another fire on board and Arisa felt it was safer to leave than try to stop the grid decay. The transport and the ship will be arriving in about four hours.”

Robert and Lily had spent the night at the Complex. The news about Discovery would wait. What bothered me was they hadn’t check in. Robert was always good about checking in.

I closed the link to Noel without an answer knowing that she’d be coming through my door in less than two minutes, we could discuss the message then, right now I opened a link to Tay and…

“Oh Sobbash I forgot. I was suppose to tell you Robert and Lily left here early this morning. They’ve taken the Discovery to low orbit for an operational test. As far as I know they should be back with in the hour, is something the matter?”

Noel made record time to my office; she heard ninety percent of Tay’s statement. If the look on my face resembled hers we were both going to flay Tay at our earliest opportunity. I related the present condition of the ship in tow to her she smiled and closed the link.

“Sobbash, why do I get the feeling our children are about to do more than flip a few switches and see what lights up?”

My thoughts exactly, Robert and Lily wanted this ship operational before Dai returned. I hoped that they would exercise some common sense, yet I also knew those two too well. Noel was out the door with me hot on her heels.

Chief Engineer’s log: We are in a two hundred mile orbit above Shahrazad. The first set of tests has gone off flawlessly. Lily sits three thousand meters off our port side, in a shuttle, recording the tests for later review. The time has come to find out if everything we’ve done was worth it.

“Computer, system status report.”

“Reporting all systems operational, you have propulsion through light speed. Gravitational control, environmental control and shields are all with in operational specifications.”

For safety’s sake I’m in a full pressure suit so are the three others with me. This is not my first ships trial run and erring on the side of caution is a practice with me.

Sitting from my vantage point the ship took my breath away. The launch was flawless; we’ve been in orbit for almost an hour. I know if everything is alright aboard my next view will be the ship leaving orbit for the first time. I’m quivering in my seat. Then the link became active and the words I’ve waited to hear entered my head.

“Lily were ready for stage two, as planned we’ll leave orbit head for the forth moon and reestablish orbit. After the forth orbit we’ll move away and make a run at maximum sub light speed before returning to the complex. Keep your distance and you should be able to keep up with us. That shuttle is capable of limited FTL speed but I do not plan on engaging that system until later today. Let’s see how this part goes. I’m in the mood to rush things a bit. But this is too important to let go awry. Start the recorders, leaving orbit in three, two one.”

I watched as the ship started moving away from the planet. Its smooth graceful beauty I was awe struck. The trip to the moon went as planned after the forth orbit the ship leapt out to space with me in pursuit. I took notice that at the middle of the run Robert had placed the FTL engines on line for just a moment. I’m sure he was gathering data to compare then… What was a ship that filled my view screen became a dot at the far side of the system. He’d done it he made a successful jump. The ship was on a return course and I was at factor one on an intercept course. Robert was about to get a piece of my mind.

We were about three hours from arrival, Zachary and I had covered a multitude of topics and I have to admit this time, compared to others, I was beginning to feel quite comfortable in his presence. We were discussing Tara’s recent purge when…

“Minister Zachary, please come to the bridge at once.”

I figured he’d step away from our conversation however I was invited to join him on the bridge. Making our way to the lift that lead to the bridge was quite an experience, since Zachary had transported me directly to his quarters it would seem most of the crew was unaware of my presence aboard the ship. The revelation was causing those who we ran across to stop and stare in disbelief. Undaunted we arrived on the bridge to a myriad of smiles, stares and questioning looks. It would seem most of the bridge crew had never seen an Abh, in the flesh, before and I was becoming the center of attention. It was the Captain, a very tall thin woman, who derailed those around her.

“Minister, take a look at this energy signature. We just captured it a few moments ago. We’re triangulating its location but I believe its coming from the general area around Shahrazad.”

I moved to Zachary’s side, the Captain tried for a split second to keep me from seeing the trace. Either my insistence or a motion from Zachary stopped her from blocking my view. It took me a moment but I recognized that trace and commented to Zachary loud enough for everyone to here.

“And here you were worried I’d be a commander without a ship to command. Zachary that signature, you might as well log as belonging to my new command. It would seem our chief engineer and ship designer have been working overtime on my behalf. I must thank them when I get home.”

We left the bridge and Zachary gave me a detailed tour of the ship. Although I saw a lot I must admit I didn’t retain too much. The thought of that ship hopelessly moored in a test cell suddenly coming to life just before I arrived. I wondered if Lily and Robert knew we were this close. It didn’t matter I’d talk with them upon my arrival. My one concern, besides my crew, was how Cassie was fairing with Jinto and Lafiel. We had agreed on a communications blackout until I arrived but usually Cassie manages to slip out a small indication of what to expect. This continuing silence was not boding well, not at all. Zachary and I finished our tour of the ship and retired to a meeting room off the main corridor. There we continued our conversation this time however the subject became my new command. I told him just enough to keep his interest without letting all the cats loose. I have to be honest here, there were many things about that ship I wasn’t aware of, lucky for me I guess.

We were halfway through the max sub light test when I came to a decision and brought the Star Drive on line.

“Star Drive online, system operational, all speeds through factor six available.”

“Deflectors and shields to maximum, scan the area, Shuttle location?”

“Area clear, shields and deflectors at maximum, shuttle located ten thousand meters to our port side, matching our speed and maintaining its distance.”

“Factor one point five burst for five seconds, present course, execute in three two one.”

The AI responded flawlessly, we jumped and decelerated all with in the preplanned parameters. However my momentary joy was interrupted by the AI making the following announcements.

“High speed target approaching from amidships starboard side, ID beacon indicates it is the shuttle from its previous location on an intercept course. Warning! The shuttle is refusing communications going to defensive posture one.”

“Override defensive postures, lower shields, keep deflectors at maximum, slow to one third sub light.”

I waited for Lily to arrive my ears were already ringing, I forgot to tell her we were going to jump and I was going to get jumped about it I’m sure.

Sobbash and I were just reaching escape velocity when the ship jumped. Although we were on the wrong side of the planet to see it clearly the orbital platforms scanners capture high resolution images of it as it departed. Accessing the platform I made another discovery that caused Sobbash and me to hold in a high orbit.

“No mistaking that shuttle and no mistaking its course after the jump. My bets are Lily is aboard the shuttle and that jump wasn’t planned. The shuttle’s almost to the ship, maybe we should let them hash it out and see about everything else once they land.”

We made three orbits of the planet scanned the area that the Dorian tug would be approaching from. We took note of their position and estimated arrival time then returned to the Island. Lily and Robert landed about an hour later even at this distance I could sense Lily’s rage. Poor Robert, after all this time he should know how much MY daughter she really is. If I was guessing Lily will be sleeping in her own bed this evening.

I informed Risch of my observations concerning the trial flight; his interest peaked when I mentioned that Robert had engaged the Star Drive and the test seemed a success. My warning concerning Lily seemed to get lost in the fact that the ship had preformed and the dream was realized. Well, I warned him, if Lily takes his head off, all I’ll say was I told you so.

“Damn you Robert, why, you know I wanted to be aboard when the ship made its first jump. But no macho you had to go do it on your own. I don’t get it what’s with you anyway?”

Between Lily’s red face and streaming tears I knew I had made an unforgivable error. It was time to tell her my feelings and hope she understands them.

“You’re right, I know what we discussed, but I’ve had a feeling for sometime that there might be a flaw in the system and instead of losing both of us I decided…”

They say sometimes the truth hurts, this truth hurt me soundly. Lily glared at me then slammed both of her fists into my chest before she fell sobbing into my arms. I have to admit she’s a lot stronger than I imagined, the blow hurt for several hours. Recovering she faced me and said.

“If you had doubts why didn’t you discuss them with Dad and me? Robert I don’t want a dead hero. I want a living you, or if you go, then we both go together. The thought of not having you by my side is too painful to describe. You understand what I’m saying?”

I understood completely. I remembered Risch saying that Noel told him something along those lines once when he made a brilliant and foolhardy move. I need to listen and take to heart more of what he tells me. He’s giving me a road map to Lily’s happiness and if I keep taking risky detours one day I might lose Lily. That is an unthinkable thought.

We landed at the Complex, moored the ship and Lily promptly disappeared. I knew better than to chase after her. She needed her space and to cool off before we exchange anymore words on any subject. I gather that data from the flight and went to the lab just of the assemble floor where the ship was completed. It was there Tay found me deep in charts and graphs.

“You’re back, the ships in one piece and we detected an energy signature. One would assume the test went off without incident but I’m confused. I saw Lily tear out of here about five minutes ago on a direct heading back to the Island. I figured you two would be celebrating the flight but…”

I quit what I was doing, gathered my data, shut down the terminal and faced Tay. Her confusion was very evident. It took about five minutes to explain the error I made and Lily’s reaction to it. Perplexed Tay sat in a seat next to me stared at the wall and said.

“There are many things about human and human like creatures I still do not comprehend. For example I understand friendship; I comprehend love, but friendship leading to romance, that combination confuses me. When you and Lily were just friends you never had these problems or at least I never saw them. But since romance has entered the picture it would seem the slightest deviation from perceived norms sends both of you in opposite directions. I’m very confused can you explain it to me?”

Tay is an amazing creature; one has to remember, although she looks human she is far from it. Her race has been devoid of complex emotions for centuries. Her perceived understanding of friendship and love are on the simplest of levels. Emotionally she is childlike in many ways. Although she’s actually very intelligent, having those complex emotions suppressed, leaves her searching at times for answers some of us are hesitant in giving. I decide that Scholar would be a better source of the information she required than I was.

Reluctantly she agreed, I left the complex and headed to the Village. Scholar was on the top of my list of people to see as well. Maybe she could give me some insight on how to proceed with patching up Lily and my relationship. I though about talking to my mother but she’s too close to the situation. It was better, I thought for the moment, to leave her out of it. I later found out that was a bad decision on my part. One of many I had made already.

Let’s say Scholar set me straight on the female of the species and let it go at that. I left the Village and returned home, consulted with my mother and retired. It wasn’t until later that day I saw Lily, our meeting was not as I had expected. She and her mother had a very long conversation as well. Putting it simply, our actions, while justified, it seems that we blew them out of proportion and a long talk in the rose garden was in order.

Jasmine had just finished sending her report over when Lily and Robert wandered into my office Noel followed them. They approached me and asked Cassie’s whereabouts. When I told them they were in shock. I took this opportunity to address them both not only as a parent but Governor of this world.

“I’m sorry but I’ll be blunt, while you two were having your issues. There were more important things going on around here. But before I get into Cassie, I want to give you both a piece of my mind over the following transgression. While I appreciate the work and effort you’ve put into the replacement ship. I have to say something and hear me out before you answer. We have procedures, which you both have used before, concerning testing criteria for all new construction. I’m informing you now that even though the test seems to have been a success it was an unauthorized use of military hardware, which if I, Erin or the Council wished to push it could land both of you in the stockade for the next six months. I understand your willingness to complete the task given you but I’ll say this only once. Consider this a warning, you two stray off course again and I’ll have no choice. The laws will be enforced as written; please do not make me do this. Do you understand me?”

That’s one thing Dad liked about Mom, she never pulled a punch. She spoke from authority when it was necessary and in our case we had made several blunders. Which like she said, had someone pushed it, Lily and I could have been in a lot of trouble. We admitted our mistakes and accepted our punishment. It was then Sobbash informed us of Cassie’s present condition.

“Cassie is in the hospital suffering from exhaustion, I know you and Lily have patched up your relationship. But I have to ask you until she’s better can you hold off on making any announcements? Actually if you could wait a few days it would be for the best. That said Jasmine will be keeping her for at least a couple of days. If you wish to visit do so but keep the conversation light nothing for her to worry about okay? She’s not to know the ship’s operational. That is still a secret; however the Dorian’s are aware of its existence thanks to you two.”

Mom’s haymaker hit us really hard. We both knew the Dorian’s were towing Dai home and I must have launched right in front of them how utterly stupid of me. Now six months in the stockade began to sound nice. Lily and I left, we headed for the lagoon to review the day’s events and to consider the announcement we were chomping at the bit to make until about five minutes ago. We decided to go visit Cassie and found Scholar and Seelnay waiting for us at the hospital.

“Sobbash think you might have been a little hard on them? After all we were aware that once they solved the problem they would test their results…”

Sobbash handed me a message she had not shared with the children. It was from the Council requesting a formal inquiry into the events that lead up to the unauthorized use of the ship. It would seem that Sobbash learned well from Lafiel. She invoked a little known clause in the charter concerning emergency powers when it pertained to the defense of the planet. With Discovery abandoned, we were below the minimum number of ships required to maintain an adequate defense.

With that Sobbash stepped out on a limb and told the Council she was aware of and approved of a one trip shake down in compliance with said clause. Basically she made a misstatement to keep them out of jail. I was informed in my position of assistant; I would not divulge this conversation or that message to anyone. Sobbash swore me to secrecy and then we went for lunch. Those kids have no idea how lucky they really are.

I’d taken my first steps since the incident. Doctor Sasoum said if I kept making this kind of progress I’d be released in a week. Before I returned to my bed I had mother push my wheel chair to Cassandra’s room. When I found out she was here I found it difficult to relax I wanted to see her. She was lying on her side staring at the door as we entered. When our eyes met her initial look scared the daylights out of me. She turned to her back and stared at the ceiling. Her words were distant almost as if I wasn’t in the room at all.

“You warned me one day I’d end up in here flat on my back and you were right. I wished I had your gift, because I would have told you to never turn your back on a Zon, but like me, I’ll bet you wouldn’t have listened either.”

I’ve known Cassie her entire life and this side of her I’ve never seen manifested to this extent before. The bright optimistic and pleasant person I know seems under a dark spell some mystic has cast. Moving to her side I take her hand in mine. It’s cold and clammy a condition the Doctor Sasoum later explained was due to her depletion. She also said it was partly responsible for the mental condition I found her in. I wished her a speedy recovery, she stared into space. I had mother return me to my room where I sat looking out the window and realized how lucky I was to be alive. I just wished Cassie would come back to us soon.

Noel and Sobbash just left. I gave them a full report on what I had observed while aboard the Dorian flagship. Sobbash granted Ariel, Arisa and me permission to inspect the ship at the Complex with the following conditions: The ship would operate on ground power only. Any systems pertaining to propulsion will remain off line and any attempt to operate the ships main power grid would be dealt with severely. I was aware Sobbash was out on a limb, I didn’t realize just how far she had stepped out this time. Had I known I would have postponed our visit for a few days until the heat had subsided. But little did I know Sobbash had a good reason for us to visit the ship and the sooner the better. I have to say I was duly impressed, Lily designed a marvelous ship.

“Dai look at this will you, if these readings are correct you’ll realize why Sobbash didn’t want the main power brought on line?”

Arisa and Ariel moved from the display, what I saw… Oh my stars, I thought the previous ship was a monster if this is true given the power available and the systems installed. We’ll rival the most advanced ships of anyone’s fleet. This ship could very well hold its own against several squadrons of the Dorian’s finest attack vessels. Robert, Lily, what kind of weapon did you contrived this time? We left the ship, moved a secluded location, and reviewed the data again.

“No doubt about it Dai, take look at this; phase six main batteries with pulse operation lasers, contact mines, six sets of continuous duty plasma cannons. Then you add; a factor six plus Star Drive, not to mention level eight particle shields and deflectors. On top of that if everything is on line at once, it only consumes seventy percent of the ship available power. I smell Tay’s hand in the design of this ship. I wonder who she’s got a beef with this time and if she’s planning on us settling it for her.”

We returned to the Island to find Sobbash occupied, she was in deep research. Once Noel let us in we found her main display showing the image of the energy signature from the new ship. Asking us to study that image carefully she said.

“Being Abh has a couple of advantages, years pass and until the last our minds stay sharp. That image has been bothering me since Noel and I first viewed it. Something in the back of my mind said I’d seen it somewhere before and after a couple of hours of research… well judge for your self.”

Sobbash projected another image below the first they looked almost the same. She then imposed one image upon the other. The computer stated they were a ninety nine point nine percent match. Arisa pondered the display and asked where the other image came from? Sobbash asked us to be seated and then said.

“Computer identify file two six four.”

“File is of an unknown energy signature scanned by Discovery in the Sol system shortly before they were caught in a time rift.”

Dai stood and moved towards the display. She took a closer look at the image, once she was satisfied; she returned to her seat and said.

“Just before the plasma discharges that object… hey wait one second, plasma cannons? Arisa you said the ship has plasma cannons? You don’t think? Sobbash we need to have Scholar look at this. There were three of us still connected directly to the sensors Scholar, Kufadis and me.”

I just received Sobbash’s message requesting me to come to the Island. Nothing was mentioned about coming alone so I’m not, Robert, Lily, and Seelnay are with me. I have a feeling that whatever Sobbash wants those two children are connected to it, either directly or indirectly. As for Seelnay she has information concerning Cassie that I’ll let her share.

Arriving I stopped to reflect before we meet with Sobbash. It is mind boggling to realize that not quite one day has passed since Cassie arrived and it would seem with her arrival our normally calm life has been turned on it ear. It’s evening, a mere ten hours since the ship returned from its trail run. I sensed that something about that ship was bothering not only Sobbash but everyone in the Administrative offices. I left the others in the waiting room and made my entrance.

Once in the room Sobbash brought my attention to the display and projected an image. Unlike the others I identified it as the signature we saw before we were cast back in time. Then Sobbash gave me quite a shock. She had the computer identify the image, when I heard it was the energy signature of the new ship I have to admit I was momentarily stunned. It was then Sobbash said.

“I’m at a loss, just how incompetent does Tay think we are? Did she think we wouldn’t evaluate the ship and run our own scans on it? I’m dumbfounded Scholar, you know her better than anyone here. Tell me, does she really think we are stupid enough to just accept her word especially after what she’s done in the past?”

Scholar stopped Sobbash, she asked everyone to think carefully about what she was about to say.

“Tay is many things but stupid is not one of them. I’m of the impression she wanted us to find this out and that’s why she ‘forgot’ to mention to you about Robert and Lily going to space this morning. I believe that Robert’s original plan was as he’s stated and the last minute decision to jump was a suggestion Tay planted in him before they left. Think about it for a second, IF you knew Robert was planning on going to space you would have instructed him not to do anything outlandish am I correct? Had he heard you say that, any suggestion Tay would have planted he would have ignored rather than incur your wrath. Tay is not stupid but as to what she wants, Robert and Lily are outside. I believe you should share this information with them as well. They might know what’s going on if not they need to be aware that Tay’s cooking up something and look for her next subtitle move.”

The walls of the office are thick. I can hear voices from inside, but I can’t tell what’s being said. Lily is sitting next to me and Seelnay’s been sitting just to the left of the door. By the look on her face I’ll assume she’s linked with Scholar and knows what is being said in the room. But I’m only guessing, it’s late she maybe just resting but… The door opens and Noel asks us to come in.

When Lily and I are presented with the images and told their meaning I’m aghast. To think after swearing an oath Tay somehow manipulated Lily and I to do her bidding. Mother was to the point; we were to steer clear of the Complex and the ship until further notice. Then she reminded us that we were eighteen hours and counting to a more important event. She asked that we all keep watch and report anything out of the ordinary. Dai, Arisa, Ariel, Lily and I left after that.

Lily and I went one way Dai and her party were returning to the Village as instructed. If Lafiel or Jinto saw them they would know Cassie was back as well and in her present state dealing with them was out of the question. As for the two of us we had more questions than answers I walked Lily home and returned to my parent’s house feeling a bit deceived.

“Captain, regarding Tay, if she’s altered the ship what does it mean why would she do such a thing?”

Dai’s brain was on overload too much had happened to rapidly. She asked that we wait for her in the hover car for a few moments. Raising her creunoc she had a very brief conversation with someone then she joined us. The ride home resembled the silence one finds in space.

“Jasmine is Cassandra still sleeping?”

I answered that she was and that I was amazed she had made it here without collapsing. My scan revealed she was totally exhausted and that she’d been running on adrenalin for probably the past twenty four hours. I’ve started an IV and administered a mixture of necessary base elements her body had depleted. She’ll need at least the night to rest before I let her leave here.

I close the link with Dai Lexshu and go check on Cassandra for the evening. I find her trying to speak in her sleep I make a scan and find her mind is running full on and her body is fighting her attempts to move it. I have no choice, if I leave her like this, she’ll sink even further from us. I lightly sedate her, move a chair to her bedside, and spend the night in her room. In the morning she’ll be awake and like her mother furious at me. However I’ll live through it and it seems so will she. Right now discussing her parents with her was the farthest thing from my mind.

The room had emptied yet Scholar returned with Seelnay. Her conversation with Jasmine just before they left was related to us. Cassie’s present condition prohibited Jasmine from sharing any information at this time. We also learned that Cassie had been sedated and that Jasmine was spending the night with her. Cassie’s a strong person but this time she’s gone above and beyond the mantle of daughter. I really wonder how Jinto and Lafiel would feel if they knew about what they’ve indirectly done to her?

It’s getting late Seelnay and Scholar left for the Village. Noel and I sit at the table behind her house. We can hear Risch and Lily having a spirited conversation. Noel looks towards Jinto and Lafiel’s place, then back at me and says.

“That seems to be how life works around here, years of normality interrupted by moments of almost sheer panic or the like. You really believe leaving the comfort of space was that good of an idea in the first place?”

I point to the hot tub and a smile comes over Noel’s face. Moments later we are soaking in an environment one can not have in space. We were looking at the night sky and realizing that maybe Abh’s were meant to walk the face of the surface worlds after all.

It was getting late Noel and I reluctantly left the hot tub. Tomorrow was going to be a day that might require a lot of extra energy which thanks to the last three days I haven’t really rested that well. Tonight was going to be a different matter. Entering the house I see Robert is burning the midnight oil on some project. I ask him to turn in soon and make my way to bed. Thanks to the tub I’m really relaxed, setting the alarm for early morning I’m asleep before I know it.

To Be Continued In: Not A Normal Celebration…

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."