44_Not A Normal Celebration

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

44_Not A Normal Celebration

Post by Diaho »

Not A Normal Celebration

“That seems to be how life works around here, years of normality interrupted by moments of almost sheer panic or the like. You really believe leaving the comfort of space was that good of an idea in the first place?”

I point to the hot tub and a smile comes over Noel’s face. Moments later we are soaking in an environment one can not have in space. We were looking at the night sky and realizing that maybe Abh’s were meant to walk the face of the surface worlds after all.

It was getting late Noel and I reluctantly left the hot tub. Tomorrow was going to be a day that might require a lot of extra energy which thanks to the last three days I haven’t really rested that well. Tonight was going to be a different matter. Entering the house I see Robert is burning the midnight oil on some project. I ask him to turn in soon and make my way to bed. Thanks to the tub I’m really relaxed, setting the alarm for early morning I’m asleep before I know it.

The general alarm sounded just after zero three hundred. It’s not fair; I was just to a really relaxed point, grabbing my creunoc off the lamp table. I focus to read what it’s saying, finally the words make sense and suddenly I’m wide awake. Strapping it to my arm I open a link to the control room before I can say a word my ears are assaulted.

“Ekuryua we’ve got a problem, the class four shuttle has been taken without authorization. Its security system was disabled there is no transponder signal and all I have is a scan of the initial departure course. Once clear of the atmosphere it cloaked and vanished. I’m seeing a signature from the general area which means whoever took it got the prototype Star Drive working. I’ve notified the platform and station to try to track it but so far nothing.”

I instructed them to continue the scans and notify me at once of any finding no matter how trivial. I put on enough clothes to be acceptable and head for Sobbash’s. If she is as sound asleep as I was; only my pounding on her door will wake her. To my surprise Robert wakes first, lets me in the house and I roll our fearless leader out of bed myself. Awake but not receptive I repeat the information several times before it finally registers with her. On the other hand Robert got it first time through and already was in contact with the station giving them parameters to look for concerning that craft.

Sobbash made a move I’d forgotten about, approaching her terminal she asked the system to account for everyone on the Island. With in seconds we knew who had taken the shuttle and they were going to be difficult, if not down right impossible, to track.

“Second area scans complete. Jinto and Lafiel Lynn are not on the Island. I’ve located both of their creunoc signals. They are coming from the warehouse at the end of the dock but no life signs are associated with the signals. The last area scan was at zero two forty five and at that time they were still located in the Residence.”

Sobbash disconnected from the system and shook her head. It took them less than fifteen minutes to leave the Residence, make their way to the warehouse, plant their creunoc’s and disable the shuttles security system before the system made its next scan. Considering who it was it was quite possible, but why and what was their destination?

Robert then shed a bit of light on subject. The shuttle was the one Jinto and Lafiel had used for personal transport until the time of the accident. Out of respect Robert never altered the access codes to the ship since Lafiel had ‘loaned’ it to the research team. He also added that the Star Drive, while operational, had time limits on it which the ships AI controlled, bringing up the ships systems on his display he continued.

“The drive is limited to factor three, the ships structural limit, for no more than an hour with a two hour cycle to regenerate the hull integrity before it will function again. Slower speeds can be used for a longer period but the system shut down is integrated into the control system any attempt to bypass it and the drive will go off line for a period of six hours.”

Feeding in the maximum distance that could be covered in an operational burst Robert projected the area that the shuttle could be located in it was massive. Then Robert made a statement that I didn’t expect.

“There is a ship capable of not only tracking them, but getting to them faster than anything presently in service.”

I rolled my creunoc to my lips, woke Risch had him wake Lily and asked them come to Sobbash’s as soon as possible. My second call was to the security detail guarding the Discovery. I asked them if anything out of the ordinary had occurred, they responded it had been quiet all evening. Sobbash and I were both quite awake and aware of what had just happened.

We had two choices; let Jinto and Lafiel go til they decided to return or go after them and see where we wind up. I didn’t have to over think this decision at all. I knew, as did most in the room, that somewhere deep in this Tay had planted an idea that manifested into something… but what this time. Questioning her never did any good and until now her little ideas have for the most part been innocent request to have something trivial accomplished but this time…

Risch and Lily had arrived and Robert was bringing them up to speed. While that was going on Sobbash and I had a conference as well. Sobbash would contact Erin while I contacted our other two crews and returned them to their ships with one major exception. I was going to give Dai temporary command of the Independence and let her mix and match from the two crews she had at her disposal. I decided to contact Plakia Lexshu first, our conversation lasted a few minutes and I knew she was off to the station. On the other hand Dai put up a bit of resistance at first then finally saw it my way she too was enroute to the station.

Sobbash had better luck with the Council. Erin gave her permission to use any and all resources at our disposal to retrieve Jinto and Lafiel. Scholar and Seelnay were on their way to the Island. Saio was aware of the incident she said that Cassie would be well taken care of. Now it was time to decide who stays and who goes on this excursion. One of us had to stay here just which one of us was it going to be? My last call was to the Dorian’s who were still in system. The request was simple, watch over the place incase we had to leave suddenly. Nothing more was said and Zachary agreed to my request.

“Planned shut down in thirty one minutes Lafiel then we’re on sub light until regeneration is complete how soon till the course change?”

Lafiel sat plugged into the ship she was experiencing feelings she had not felt in years. The course correction was due in six minutes she told that to Jinto then said.

“If we went to minimum power and channeled the total output of the reactor into hull regeneration. How much time would it save Jinto?”

Jinto ran the numbers it would save about sixteen minutes per cycle. But that would leave them shield, deflector and cloak less. A floating ship in space, however it would make tracking the ship difficult as well. The energy signature would fade and instead of a sub light trail starting. They’ll be coasting along until the next FTL burst was possible an interesting concept but dangerous as well. They decided to give it a try at this cycle end then evaluate it on subsequent events.

“I’m not going this time Noel. If something goes wrong I’ll be in a better position to handle it than you would. You’ve got enough personnel to crew the ship and the most knowledgeable of all who know its workings. You need to get going or they’re going to be systems ahead of you. Stay in touch and good luck.”

I was stunned I figured we’d have to have it out over who left and who stayed. But it looks like I’m off to space once again. Risch said he was staying here as well if Cassie decided to get out of hand Sobbash would need some help and he saw no purpose in going along this time.

“This is their show it’s their dream come to life all we’ve done is give them guidance. Go Noel continue to listen to them and whatever happens remember I do love you.”

Good byes were said and we were off to the Complex. Lily gave us a brief overview of the system differences and assigned our duties. Scholar would take the science station and handle communications; Seelnay would have weapon and environmental systems control. I had the center seat, Lily would navigate and Robert would control engineering from the bridge. I found it hard to believe that the ship could operate with as little as five aboard but...

“Jinto once we’ve slowed I want a five second burst from the port thruster then secure all systems.”

A clever move on her part the turn wouldn’t register on conventional sensors and anyone following us would go one way while we were heading about thirty degrees to the right of the original course. As we slowed I made the thruster burst then secured the ship. We relaxed while the ship recovered from its run.

“Captain Ship’s systems are on line and showing green, ready for departure in three two one.”

Discovery rose from the mooring pad and we were on our way. It was just before sunrise, Jinto and Lafiel had been gone for over an hour. Once in high orbit we began scanning for traces of the shuttles departure fifteen minutes later we had their trail.

Robert asked how long it’s been since the shuttle left. Scholar answered one hour and twenty seven minutes since departure he asked that a timer be set for one hour thirty minutes then he said

“We’ve got that long to find them before they’ll be able to jump again any questions?”

There were none it was my turn to take charge and I did so.

“Lily put the course on the display then I want the ships status.”

“Course projected Star Drive answers ready speed set for factor four, shall we go?”

“Engage.”

We were off, the signature of the shuttle differed greatly from this ship and as Robert had said earlier it would become stronger the closer to their position we traveled. Scholar was scanning with passive long range scanners looking for any deviation in the signatures path. I had tactical scanner control on my display if we found them I wasn’t going to let them get away.

“Course deviation indicated sending information to navigational computers.”

“Got it Scholar coming sixty degrees to port in five four three two one mark, projecting our new heading to the star charts and moving them to the main display Captain.”

I got a look at their new projected course and brought up everything within five light years of that course. I drew a blank as did Scholar this course lead into an uncharted part of the galaxy. What had been explored was deemed desolate and not worthy of the time involved to explore further. I thought to my self a perfect place for Tay to send us off to.

“Seelnay contact Sobbash, send her our current information and tell her we’ve found nothing at the moment.”

Noel’s information just arrived I sent copies to Dai and Plakia and projected the course on my star charts. What puzzled me was this portion of the galaxy hadn’t been ventured into since before the war. There were a couple of active Sords in the region but records indicate the last time they were used was better than sixty years ago. Trusting an old unused Sord for travel would not be on the top of my list of things to do. But there wasn’t much of anything else in that space unless they were planning multiple jumps. If that held true, unlike Noel, I projected twenty light years out on that course and forwarded the information to Noel, Dai and Plakia to consider as well.

“Signature is beginning to fade. I’m not seeing any thing else.”

“Slow to one half sub light, time since signal acquisition?”

“Right at one hour Noel, the scanners are not showing the sub light signature. I’m scanning the area now.”

Robert came to my station and showed me a function the ship had, unlike the others we had thermal and decay reactive sensors available. Pressing a few buttons my display lit up what I saw confused me it was Noel that picked up on it and said.

“Ooh what a sneaky move Lafiel. Anybody else would have been wondering off on your original course. Lily come right seventy degrees and slow to one third sub light.”

Projecting the sensor trace on the main display Noel continued.

“Those decaying thermal traces are shuttle thrusters. When they ended the FTL leg she made a subtle course change using the ships thrusters. Scan in this area and see if you can find the sub light signature, time to next FTL jump?”

“Thirty two minutes Noel and I’m not seeing any signature it’s like they vanished into the void.”

We spent precious minutes scanning the area looking for the shuttles sub light signature it was then Seelnay posed a question that set us all thinking.

“Suppose the sub light engines failed to activate and they were adrift. With the alteration in course I wonder how far they would have coasted.”

Robert plugged the shuttles numbers into the system and asked for a projected area if it was in coast from an FTL jump figuring in the energy loss of the thruster burn. We weren’t scanning out far enough, the shuttle could have traveled a quarter of a light second; we were scanning at half of that distance. Expanding our search are we got another surprise, we found evidence of a fresh FTL jump with the shuttles energy signature.

“Confirm the time to the shuttles next jump?”

“Sixteen minutes, no mistake it’s from Lafiel how did they do that?”

We made our way to the launch point and decided to follow at a discrete distance this time. We would be close enough once they reduced to sub light we’d be able to grab them, we hoped.

“Jinto I do believe what you saw was a sensor ghost. There is no way a ship could have intercepted us at least not a ship from Shahrazad. When we left it was obvious to me that the fleet had just returned. I doubt they even know that we are gone and if they do there is no way to track us not after the maneuvers I’ve made.”

Lafiel sounded reassuring but that energy like a scan pulse just as they were making the next jump. A sensor ghost or was it something else? Without asking Jinto activated the aft sensor array and left it on automatic just in case.

We were on a parallel course lagging about one half light second behind them. Our sensors were in passive mode the only thing Scholar was looking for was either another course change or a sudden drop in the shuttles velocity. Outside of that we were following and waiting for their next move. Robert had been the past few minutes into the computer system he placed an inquiry, which according to my screen, was about to be answered.

“That’s how they did it. Lafiel you are one amazing person. That is something I’d never consider doing. Talk about a very gutsy and risky move.”

Robert project the computer report on the screen, in her typical style Lafiel had stepped way out on a limb to gain an advantage. Channeling the total output of the reactor into hull regeneration and coasting to the next jump is something out of her little book of, stay alive, tricks. I’m glad to see she’s not lost her edge given that she’s not going to be that easy to catch either. I had to comment, Robert’s revelation had to be explained in a little more detail.

“Robert, please understand something, the reason your mother and I are alive today is because of moves like that. I told you she’s not going to be easy to catch and given that fact she’s already gone that far this early we need to be alert as to what they are doing and assume nothing.”

It was shortly after sunrise; Cassie had slept almost eight hours and I’d been awake for the past two monitoring her progress. Being young does have a few advantages her recuperative powers are pretty amazing as I finished my scan she opened her eyes and I said to her.

“How’s my patient doing this morning?”

She sat up slowly looked at her surroundings and said.

“How long have I been here and how did I end up here?”

Knowing what her reaction was going to be. I braced myself and told her almost a day had passed since she arrived here and passed out in my office. She made a move to get out of bed and that’s when the orderlies came into the room. Seeing I had expected her to bolt she relented and said.

“I’m here and I’m listening what is it about my parents you wanted to tell me?”

I motioned to the door; the restraining committee stepped outside and waited. I faced Cassie and continued to examine her. She wasn’t in a receptive mood, she wanted answers and she wanted them now, so typical of her mother. I finished my exam she had recovered about eighty five percent of what she had lost, in my opinion, she was healthy enough to hear what I had to say. I told her what I suspected her mother’s tests had shown and then waited for her response.

“Jasmine, you are serious about what you suspect. If that’s true all I can say is wow just wow. There’s one way to get to the bottom of this, let me leave here I’ll go talk to them and I’ll confirm your suspicions within the hour.”

“It’s not going to be that easy Cassie; about three am your parents grabbed a shuttle and left this world. Noel, Robert, Lily, Scholar and Seelnay went after them in Discovery and that’s all I know for the moment.”

I looked at the clock on the wall it was a little after six, it had been three hours since they left in a shuttle, why hadn’t they been retrieved already? Why did Discovery go after them, something didn’t seem right I was about to demand some answers when the door opened and…

Once Discovery left I made my way to the Village figuring once Cassie was awake, she’d have questions that the doctors would not be able to answer. I stood with the door cracked listening to Jasmine and Cassie. When the time felt right I stepped into the room…

“That was no ordinary shuttle your parents took off with. It is the prototype FTL test bed capable of factor three bursts for one hour with a two hour regeneration period. The reason Discovery was used it’s has a very sophisticated tracking system aboard besides being capable of factor six plus speeds. Just so you know your mother’s not being an easy target to track she’s already thrown them a couple of dandy distractions. As I speak Discovery is trailing them waiting for their jump to end. At that time they will intercept them, we should know more within the hour.”

Seeing Risch came as no surprise, finding out my parents had taken the fastest ship they could get their hands on was also a no-brainer. But to go to space on this of all days that is what had my mind going in circles. I had one request of Jasmine and I made it.

“I’d like the ability to move freely do I really need this stuck in my arm?”

Jasmine removed the IV from my arm and placed a pressure dressing on it. My next request was to be left alone for a while so I could sort out everything I’d been told. Jasmine and Risch left I could see that my door was being monitored. Right now I wanted desperately to get out of this hospital garb but it seems my clothes are missing but not my creunoc. I type a message to Auntie Dai asking her where she is and to my surprise the answer couldn’t have been any better if I had planned it.

“I’m aboard the Independence why do you ask?”

I tell her I’m breaking out of the hospital with or without her help. If she wanted to help she could transport me directly to my cabin without question. I vanish in a bright flash.

“Doctor she’s left the building and most likely the planet as well, should we notify Security?”

Cassie’s clothes sit on the table next to my desk. I tell the staff to let her go, and then I notify Sobbash she’s left and is probably with Dai where ever she is. Sobbash thanks me and asks me to tell no one else of this conversation. I agree to her request and close the link.

I arrive in my cabin to find Dai sitting on the chair beside my desk. Seeing how I’m attired she said.

“Jasmine took your clothes, how typical of her. You know the next time we’re there I’ve got a set of clothes to get from her as well. I’ll leave you to get dressed and then meet my in conference room five when you’re done. Oh you should also know at this moment you’ve been relieved of command I’m the Captain, temporarily that is.”

Dai left, I pulled civilian clothes from my chest and dressed. Being relieved of command didn’t bother me; Jasmine taking my clothes didn’t bother me. What Jasmine told me coupled with my parent’s sudden departure from this world that’s what had me quite concerned. Making my way to conference room five I find another surprise as well.

“Grandmother finding you here comes as no surprise. I figured if Dai had this ship then you were aboard yours, now would someone like to tell me what the hell has happened in, let’s say, the past six hours?”

The briefing lasted about fifteen minutes it was as Risch had said. Everyone had retired for the night and right before three am my parents took it upon themselves to leave unannounced. After a fairly rapid response from Sobbash and the Council Discovery was launched, my only question was this it’s maiden voyage or had it had its shake down cruise.

The answer wasn’t what I had expected. After an initial shake down Discovery was on a mission with the hopes it was completely operational. I don’t want to know what influenced Sobbash to take such action, to me it almost seemed a desperation move on her part, but for now there is nothing I can do but wait.

“Grandmother, thank you for the report, if you’ll excuse us Dai and I have a couple of items to discuss.”

Grandmother left the ship and returned to her ship. For the next few minutes Dai and I discussed what Jasmine had told me. Stunned, Dai suggested that I return to the Island and investigate the facts further. Arming myself before I left, I transported to my parents house. Arriving on the blind side of the Residence I entered the access code and entered hoping I hadn’t been seen.

The house was in disarray something my parents would never have stood for. Entering Mom’s office I find it untouched. The flowers I put in the vase were still there dried out and falling on the desk. I take note of the light film of dust that’s accumulated on everything and realize it’s not been used since I left six months ago. Throwing out the flowers I move through out the house. The kitchen has been used there are still dirty dishes in the sink. The living room while showing signs of use still hadn’t seen a dusting either.

Moving to the bedrooms my Fathers showed it has been used and it seemed he tried to keep it tidy. Mom’s room on the other hand was a wreck. Dirty and clean clothes in unorganized piles with paper work strewn about, if I didn’t know better I would have to say she lived in this room the entire time I was gone. Had it not been for Father, this room would have reeked more than it already does. I move to the windows, open them and let fresh air in.

The last place is their entertainment room. I’m aghast when I open the door; it looked like a couple of five year olds had been left in charge. Slowly sorting through the devices strewn about I find what I was looking for. The box is still warm that means this was the last thing my parents were hooked up to before they departed. Placing everything else in its place I secure the house once again, take the box and return to the ship. I hope it had some answers as to what has happened.

Sensor alarms sound in my office, as I figured Cassie had transported to the Residence and had a look around. It is my hope she found something of importance and will share the information with us when the time comes. For now I’m content that she and not I went through the house. This way there will be no accusations of evidence being planted, tampered with, or the like. I inform Noel of these facts, I’ll leave Dai and Plakia in the dark, I’m sure Cassie will tell them before she tells me which is understandable. Unlike Lafiel and me, Cassandra and I have a history that is, how shall I put it, very strained. I’m certain she unconsciously holds me responsible for what her parents are doing and it’s my fond hope she finds the truth and then reconsiders our relationship, having her as an adversary is not a pleasant thought.

I’ve returned to the ship with the box, upon arrival Arisa and Donald took the device from me to give it a full analysis. I want to know what information it contained and if there is a record of the event that Jasmine told me about. Although impractical, what Jasmine told me is quite possible and if that is true then finding my parents becomes priority number one.

I find Dai sitting in the Captain’s Mess she’s enjoying a cup of coffee I get myself one from the venderbot and join her at the table. She starts the conversation with the obvious question.

“You weren’t gone very long; I’ll assume you found what you were looking for?”

I explained in detail what greeted me inside my parent’s quarters; Dai listened intently raising an eyebrow or two at several of my comments. I told her not only did I find the object but it showed signs of recent usage. She raised her cup to her lips took a drink sat it aside and looked me in the eye as she said.

“This isn’t the first time your parents have been in an interesting position however given everything you’ve told me I’ll have to admit this one rates at the top of the list. Cassie you’re still tired get some rest. I’ll keep watch over things while you sleep, remember you’re no good to us, or them, if you’re half dead on your feet.”

I take Dai’s advice and return to my cabin, had I any idea of what the next hours would tell I would not have slept. Yet I was very tired I didn’t even get properly laid down before I was out like a light.

“Noel it’s time, they should be dropping from light speed in two minutes. We execute the retrieval as planned?”

As planned, I hoped this went as planned but, our shields were powerful enough to extend around the shuttle and hold it from engaging their sub light engines, then it would be securing a tow line to their ship and pulling them aboard. It sounded too simple and maybe that’s why it’ll work. Something straight forward Lafiel would never figure that out. I wasn’t all that confident; our only other option was to board the ship which, if Lafiel was thinking, she and Jinto would be well armed. Shooting Lafiel and Jinto was out of the question. Less than two minutes from now we’ll know if this plan worked or not.

“Distance to the shuttle?”

“About a quarter light second just out of their scanner range. The shields are set to surround them the second they drop out of light speed.”

Cassie was asleep, in our conversations I left out one very important detail, there was a data link established Noel, and our ships. Sobbash was also monitoring Noel’s progress as well. The plan to encompass the shuttle with the shields was hatched aboard this ship. Arisa and Donald in conjunction with Robert came up with this experimental solution. Personally I would have targeted their engines and left them motionless but it’s my understanding due to the modifications made that would destroy the shuttle and kill all aboard. Not a possibility, also transporting over or transporting them over seemed an unwise option seeing Noel left here with an empty armory, not one light weapon on board, only the ships armament. Hoping Lafiel gives in without a fight is like wishing for galactic peace; actually I think that peace might come one day. Lafiel giving up peacefully, you’ve got to be kidding me.

“Lafiel, our sensor ghost just appeared for a micro second. I still can’t identify it but that’s three times in the last hour. I feel something is off our stern starboard side just out of sensor range. What do you want to do about it?”

Bringing up the shuttles system list gave her a couple of options. While in use as a test bed this shuttle was armed not as well as most ships but there was the possibility of causing enough of a distraction to avoid capture if necessary. However with the drain on the systems to regenerate the hull the power available was very limited. Then something on the manifest caught her eye and she said.

“Jinto do you see item twelve on the manifest? Go aft and see if it’s really there and if so check on its condition.”

Jinto returned and confirmed that item twelve was there and operational, I made note of it and continued to watch the area Jinto had seen the ghost in. We were five minutes from the drive’s operational limit, if there was something behind us they would be on the scanners in five minutes or less.

Our history tells of the heroic action Lafiel and her friends took in retrieving us from Sol Eros. The sacrifices she made in securing this world for us to live on and the hardships we’ve all endured since that day. Now our savior is off somewhere up to something no one here can understand. It’s no wonder the Council has been intently following their journey with more than a casual interest. How Tay figures into this affair; I’ll leave for Scholar to connect those dots. For now Security is still watching the Complex and Tay is under passive surveillance.

Tay is one of those necessary liabilities that every society has. Her contributions along with those within the Complex, to put it simply, we would not be where we are today if it was not for those contributions. My father always said being indebted to another race for your prosperity was a formula for disaster. I hope he’s wrong, I do, I so hope he is wrong yet there is something in the back of my mind that tells me his wisdom should not be scoffed. Li and I make our way to the Council chambers this next meeting will prove to be quite a challenge I fear.

Dai’s look of confusion greets me yet again. I’ve been the past twenty minutes trying to get her to understand how Noel’s going to immobilize the shuttle using the shield generators and I guess it’s time to go back to the basics it would seem. Placing the image of a ship on the display I start from scratch.

“When we activate our shields we surround the ship in an energy ball that prevents energy from the outside entering it’s sphere of influence. You’re following me so far?”

I get a nod from Dai and continue.

“The shield phasing allows our weapon energy to pass through it while keeping any other energy source from penetrating it. Now by modulating the shield harmonics we can prevent not only energy from passing through but keep energy from being utilized within an established sphere.”

“Okay Arisa I follow you up to the established sphere concept that’s where it’s not making any sense.”

I add a second ship to the image and continue.

“When we extend our shields around a ship its like making the ball bigger. The ship inside our sphere is protected from outside interference but if it so wished to, any attack launched against the ship providing the extension could not be stopped.”

I remove the expanded ball and project a beam from one ship to the other encompassing the second ship with in an energy ball and say.

“What Noel will do is project an inverted ball around the shuttle encompassing it in a force field which through modifications in their shield harmonics will make the shuttle’s sub light engines inert. The risk in this maneuver should there be a second vessel that wished to attack Noel would be very vulnerable to an attack. However one hopes that when they finally catch up with the shuttle it’s just the two of them. Whoever is operating tactical will have only a few seconds to ascertain the environment before the field is established. If they delay too long then shuttle will have the chance to escape them. It’s all a matter of timing I just wished there were more beings aboard, trusting automates to make most of the decisions leaves me a bit suspect.”

“I think we’re on the same page Arisa I’m sorry I’m such a bad student today but…”

“Captain to the bridge the link’s becoming very active.”

Arisa and I hit the bridge, I have the audio we are receiving put on ship wide. Unfortunately there is a forty-five second delay due to their distance and lack of relay stations in that sector. It would seem they’re about to try to capture the shuttle.

“Thirty seconds to time limit the shuttle’s just out of sensor range. Suggest slowing to sub light in five four three two one. Shuttle has dropped from FTL and they are aggressively scanning our area. They found us… Extend the shields don’t let them get away. Shields extended shuttle immobilized… Warning object off port side approaching us, unable to determine its origin, on collision course collision in five four... Deflectors to maximum evasive starboard… Object is proximity mine energy signature building… Brace for impact………………….

“Captain we’ve lost all data from them… suggest… wait, receiving the automated distress beacon from them.”

“Battle stations, break magnetic locks, get us out of here. Plot their last know position notify Defiance of our departure. Once clear I want everything this ship has.”

“Captain, Defiance has cleared the dock and is proceeding towards their last known position; I have surface communications for you as well.”

“Put her on.”

“Dai I have no idea what awaits you report in as soon as possible I’ll talk with the Dorian’s, now go and hope what we heard didn’t really happen.”

“Captain, we’re clear of the dock, the course is on the screen, going to max FTL in three two one.”

My answer to Sobbash was Independence leaving in a flash of light, Defiance was a minute ahead of us it would seem Plakia’s six sense kicked in before mine did that’s fine she’ll get there before we do.

I’m sleeping but there are voices in my ears, familiar voices, a stressful conversation then silence. That silence is replaced by the battle alarm, then the sound of the ship suddenly and unexpectedly coming to life. I struggle to a conscious state and begin to realize that we’re a max FTL headed to… I sit on the edge of my bed the cobwebs clearing I open the computer link and review the past hours events. I make it to the data received from Noel and bolt out of my door. I hit the bridge and confront Dai.

“Get out of my seat you’re relieved of command.”

Dai stands and I take the seat.

“Ships status how soon till we arrive?”

Dawn reports we are forty minutes from their last know position and then comments on my attire.

“Captain that’s not quite a regulation outfit you’re wearing however it does look very nice on you.”

I take a look at myself and sigh internally. I’m in a blouse, short skirt and barefoot tis better than being in ones underwear, yet I didn’t care, at the moment something had gone horribly wrong and if I was naked I’d still be sitting here. I turn my attention to Dai.

“Just when were you going to wake me? Before or after we arrived?”

“If I had a choice in the matter it would have been to let you sleep until you were rested. But you are your mother’s daughter aren’t you?”

While Dai’s statement was correct it still annoyed the hell out of me. I was tired and I was probably being very stubborn but if my parents launched a mine at Noel then I’m partly responsible for what has happened. Accepting that fact was making me even more rattled inside.

To Be Continued in: The Mystery is Revealed

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."