46_Dai’s Dilemma

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

46_Dai’s Dilemma

Post by Diaho »

Dai’s Dilemma

We’ve arrived at the communications relay satellite. The ships are in a defensive formation and the crews are slowly coming around. It’s been almost two hours since I issued the departure command and I still don’t understand why. I find it interesting that Independence and not this ship is running the show. I’m sure Shahrazad has a reason but at this moment communication with them is still impaired by our physical condition. Scholar, Seelnay, Noel and I are sharing a telepathic link we’ve pretty well exhausted the obvious reasons for our present condition. My extremities are returning to normal functionality yet speech is still difficult. I move to the console, silence the alarms aboard this ship and wonder how the other two ships have faired.

The data stream has unified, we are getting almost real time information from each ship. Structurally they are undamaged system anomalies exist aboard Discovery. Independence and Defiance show they are completely operational. Voice communications has not been established however Dai has managed to send text data to us. Reading her observation one would glean they are suffering from a neural paralysis almost like getting hit with a laser set on heavy stun. It’s the inability to hear and speak that has us disturbed here and there as well. Dai has just commented her ears started ringing about three minutes ago and the ambient sounds of the ship were becoming discernable. Right now we wait, the ships AI’s report no serious injuries and they are scanning the sector of space for more information. Sobbash is running out of patience and Risch is trying to settle her down. While I text with Dai.

“Sobbash hear me out before you go flying off again. Our ships are functional, the crews alive I know your only offspring is out there but remember all of my family is there as well. It was you who said this is there time and we shouldn’t interfere, so let’s see how they cope with the situation before your send the Calvary to the rescue.”

I was about to answer Risch when the direct link with the Alliance started flashing, moving to the console I place it on the main display. I’m greeted by the Dorian Empress and the heads of state of the Alliance Planets. It is the Empress who speaks for them.

“Sobbash I’ll be brief. After reviewing the past hours of data and transmission logs the Alliance has come to the following conclusions. One: that where ever that shuttle went we now feel it wasn’t of their own accord. Two: given the limited data received from your fleet as it withdrew from the Minors system those ships pose a danger to this Alliance and with that understanding we’ve ordered an alliance wide general alert. Sobbash; eleven fleets wait for your asking. In this vein we’ve also have notified the outlying worlds, the Zon and the Abh of the present situation.”

Damn she told the Empire, I’ll bet Kenesh’s is knee deep in political types want an explanation for this mess and she’s very much in the dark along with most of us. I thank the Alliance Council and tell them until we have a little more information on our foe we’ll hold the fleets in reserve. The link closes and Dai’s voice is place on the system, it’s rather shaky and a bit hard to understand but it brings a sense of relief to the room.

“Sorry about being so long in talking to you, want the name of that speeder that ran us over. Crew getting better still have a few no talk so good or hear not so well. Complex words can be thought but saying them is garbled. A lot of typing going on around here so information in format you can make sense of be to you in awhile.”

Drunk maybe but I’d say recovering from numerous stun attempts is how she sounded. If the entire fleet is in that condition it may be quite sometime before normality returns. However we need to know what happened to Jinto and Lafiel. I tell Dai in simple terms she is not to proceed until she is certain her crews can perform and I make a change of command. I place the ships in Dai’s care and ask Noel to give up the center seat. Then in a highly scrambled text directed to her creunoc I explain what Greta found and our suspicions about the ship she is presently on. I use very simple terms but strong words that convey our concerns here. A few minutes later she’s back on the link her conversation while simple tells me she’s got the message.

“Nice recipe Sobbash you forgot one thing; I need to stick a probe in it and make sure it’s done all the way before serving. One eighty is the number I’m looking for right?”

I acknowledge her message and the link goes blank. Atosuryua gives me a questioning stare and Risch answers her inquiry before I can speak.

“Port one eighty is the main AI function co join point, if she probes the unit from there it won’t know its being accessed. She should be able to see its contents without fear of it auto rebooting and blocking her access. If there is hidden programming she’ll see it. I also sent Robert and Arisa a simplified version of Greta’s report, in Arisa’s case I left Greta’s descriptive language intact, I figure at any level of understanding she’d get the message.”

“Captains Personal Log: it’s been six hours since our retreat; in polling the other two ships I’d say we were ready to venture out and take a long range look at the Minors system once again. Cassie and Plakia will take the lead we’ll remain in the rear. Lily and Arisa have been probing our AI through the service port and at this moment we’ve found nothing out of the ordinary.”

“I withheld information from Sobbash, Noel lies in med bay still incapacitated. Being the closest ship and with her hooked up to the tactical system it would seem she took a larger jolt than any of us did. Scholar has linked with her. While her mind is clear and active, getting her body to respond is going to take sometime. It was her wish that this information be withheld. I finally notified Lily about an hour ago. She visited Noel, shared a link, and was at ease enough to finish her work. Robert and the engineering staff aboard the other ships have been studying the beam that was projected our way hoping to find a defense against it. We are an hour from a safe scanning distance and we’re not moving at any great speed. I want to attract as little attention to us as possible.”

“I understand Your Highness while it will be difficult I’ll see how much new information Sobbash has. A word of caution though, knowing these people as well as I do, if there is any hint I’m spying on them the repercussion will be long lasting and brutal. Not to lecture Your Highness but this Alliance owes Shahrazad for its very existence, biting the hand that raised us is not a wise move.”

The Empress showed a bit of displeasure at my lecturing her but part of our deal was to intervene anytime one felt the other was stepping out of line and underestimating Sobbash could be fatal. I accept my charge and open a link to Shahrazad. Atosuryua answers and promptly places me on hold. I sense it’s the wrong time for chit chat but I’ll give them five minutes then close the link.

“Sobbash, Zachary is on hold, he’s using a priority one code as well.”

I know he heard the message from the Alliance, if he thinks I’ve got time for idle conversation he’s losing it. Yet curiosity is pushing me to open the link and find out just what is on his Empresses mind. I know by now she has contacted him hoping to get better information than we’ve released, but I hate to disappoint them, what’s out there is basically all we know. Although the condition of our crews has not been included, until they are needed, the Dorian’s will be kept in the dark on that aspect of our encounter with those ships. As I reach for the link it goes dark, I guess Zachary has the suspicion that we might be quite busy down here. I decide not to reopen the link at this time; we do need to plan our next moves in peace.

“Kenesh there another inquiry from the place, I think you better answer this one.”

“Tell Farr I have no time for him.”

“Kenesh, it’s not Farr this time, it’s His Highness and his patience level is very low.”

Moving to the display I answer it, Duhiel doesn’t mince words with me.

“Kenesh do what ever is necessary to get a complete picture of what has happened to Lafiel. Step on those toes you need to you’ll have my complete support in this matter however the Empire will not adopt the Dorian request for acknowledgment. If she thinks we’ll do that over this event she can turn a little bluer as far as I’m concerned. Keep me apprised and I want to know everything you find out, keep nothing from me, you understand me Admiral Kenesh?”

I tell the Emperor I will comply and terminate the link. Damn that Dorian witch, this is another effort on her part to get the Empire to recognize the Alliance. I keep telling her to lay off, but she and those other planets heads keep pushing. One day the response from the throne will resemble a response to the Four Nations Alliance then it’ll be very interesting around this part of the galaxy.

I lean back in my chair and take in the view from this office. It faces one of the larger gardens in the Capital most of the flowers are in bloom and the colors are breathtaking. I have to do something I didn’t want to for at least another few hours. I now have to talk to Sobbash no ifs ands or buts. I open a discrete link to Shahrazad; Atosuryua answers and bluntly tells me Sobbash is unavailable. I add my own comment that should get me an audience.

“Baroness, inform the Governor that His Highness is aware of the current situation and is requesting detailed information.”

I was in the room when Atosuryua took the call from Kenesh. Duhiel being aware of the current situation lead me to believe this call couldn’t be put off. I tap Atosuryua on the shoulder and have her vacate the seat. Taking her seat I establish a video link with Kenesh. The look on her face when I appeared was priceless she was stunned.

“Duhiel knows? I’m not surprised, when the Dorian’s told us they’d contacted you I figured it would go straight to the throne. Information, we have little more than the Alliance has released, but Kenesh I’m going to share something with you that I swear if it leaves your office I might declare war on the Empire over it. I’m dead serious about what I just said and once you see the information you’ll understand.”

We switch to an old imperial military code and I send her the report about the ‘beam’ that hit our fleet. After she read that I sent her a censored evaluation of the fleet’s present operational status. There was just enough information to let her know how devastating that attack was and why we were exercising such great caution in proceeding back to Minors.

“Kenesh we’ve served together, we understand each other, let me assure you once we have verified information you’ll be privy to it until then my friend, tell Duhiel we understand his concern but we’ve really got our hands full around here at the moment.”

Kenesh thanked me for answering her call and stated she’d hold the Empire at bay until we had more information. On a personal note she wished me well and hoped I was handling the stress. With that the link closed, I pushed the seat back from the display, stood, looked at my limited staff and said.

“Our main focus should be on finding the shuttle, given the present condition of the fleet, that’s going to take more time than I’m comfortable with. What I want out of you is opinions and data search, look over what we’ve been sent, compare it to known occurrences. I want to know if anyone else has experienced this before. Lastly I’m making two calls one to security to beef up the observation at the Complex and the other to the Council. There are learned individuals there and right now we need not only warm bodies but intelligent warm bodies. Risch get with Erin and Li and get some help with the data. Greta and KO, survey the construction records for the new ship see if anyone logged any issue that we weren’t made aware of. Then get with Arisa when she’s able to communicate and find out if we got just one problem or a multitude of them. Atosuryua you’ve got a thankless job you’re going to be in charge of communications, flag important calls and information, the rest put off as best you can. While you’re doing that I’m going to go one on one with the Alliance they’ve overstepped the treaty once again by consulting with everyone else before they consulted with us. If I can not get them to abide by the treaty then they are going to be left in the dark about a lot of things. And Atosuryua when I’m done I want a very secure link to Zachary. He and I are going to have a little chat about his boss and not one for publication understand?”

There was general agreement in the room concerning our direction. When I left Risch was talking to Erin, Greta and KO were searching the records for the ship while Atosuryua set up a call to the Alliance and had it sent to my office. I wanted to confront them from there for two reasons; one official communication’s have always been issued from this office and two I didn’t want what was going on down the corridor to infiltrate into the call. Like I had said the Alliance was now on a need to know basis due to their prior actions and as far as I was concerned they needed to know no more.

“Dai we are within scanning range of the system but something doesn’t seem right. I’m sending the first images back to you.”

My display was alight with the initial scan and Ariel was correct, something didn’t look right about the sweep. I had the fleet halt its forward advance then asked Plakia and Cassie to scan the same area. The results were similar and they didn’t match our original scan of the area not in the least. I was about to order a full sensor sweep when Lily popped up on the ships communications link.

“Dai you need to come down here we’ve got a problem.”

I was off the bridge and in the central core with in two minutes there Arisa and Lily explained to me the reason for their call.

“Captain, we’ve been sending out data for quite sometime. There is a program running in the background at the lowest level skimming our data and sending it out on a sub space carrier to I have no idea where. It seems to be a blind broadcast and if we interrupt it I’m wondering what will happen?”

I looked at the log; the program started after the ship was attacked by Jinto and Lafiel. Until then nothing had been sent. Disconnect it, maybe not, have it send out erroneous information in the hopes who ever was receiving it tips their hand. Now that made sense and I asked if we could do just that the answer was interesting to say the least.

“We’d have to establish a dummy sensor channel and wait for an appropriate time to switch the data stream. Say in twenty minutes we could have that ready can we hold off till then?”

Twenty minutes, I figured she’d say hours, yes we could wait twenty minutes to accomplish that task and I ordered it done. Returning to the bridge I brought the others up on the situation. Plakia took it in stride Cassie on the other hand has a myriad of questions that took most of the twenty minutes to answer.

Scholar and I were in medical bay tending to Noel she was finally coming around her speech was still impaired and her movements especially on her left side were significantly reduced but we had confidence she would recover completely. Scholar was linked deeply with her, helping her regain her functions and examining the surge of data she received as we were being attacked.

Noel had seen more information than the ships sensors had, it was that information we were studying and storing in the medical AI. Lily had warned us earlier that the main AI had been compromised and they had isolated the medical AI from the system until the problem could be rectified. Our problem was we had data but couldn’t use the ships databases to make any sense out of what we were seeing. I hoped Arisa and Lily were having better luck isolating the sensor node and establishing the dummy data stream. Once that was accomplished we could access the system again and make some sense out of what we had.

“My head hurts are you sure you can’t give me something Scholar?”

“I wish that was possible Noel but until you’ve stabilized some more giving you any pain medication could mask an underlying issue. I can’t risk it right now but what I’ll do is remove some of the discomfort.”

I was sensing the conversation between Scholar and Noel I watched as Scholar took some of Noel’s pain. Emphatics have this ability, I for one was never empathic, being able to move things with ones mind was sufficient for me. Although in the years I’ve spent with Scholar, I’ve gone well beyond those boundaries. Noel’s life signs were stabilizing once again and Scholar looked none the worst for the experience.

“Making the switch in one minute all personal watch your displays carefully. Ariel, once the switch is made have the fleet go to battle stations. Maybe nothing will happen then again I’m taking no chances.”

“Fleet acknowledges your message switch in six five four three two and one. Arisa signals switch complete everything operational.”

We went to battle ready and waited knowing that it could be some time before our deception was discovered but if there was a ship close by I didn’t want a jump point forming above my head with our defenses down.

“Arisa can we resume intense scanning of the area?”

“Go ahead bridge what our guests are seeing in the vastness of space for the moment. Anybody monitoring this stream would think we’ve moved on in our search.”

I’ve emptied a pot of coffee already; Sobbash’s conversation has gotten me thinking. I’ve opened up the database and plugged in a query concerning ships being disabled by a discharge from another ship or unknown source. I’ll have an answer shortly; in the meantime I’ve had a chat with Ramaj. Although she removed herself from all things political she still has the Emperor’s ear. A calm Duhiel would make my life better and give me the time to examine this mountain of data that’s piled up in the past forty hours. She agreed to contain Duhiel as long as she knew as soon as I did Lafiel’s fate. I told her she’d be the next to know after I did and left it at that. With the Emperor no longer breathing down my neck I finally had time to think in abstract. Hopefully something will come of this search I’ve started.

My conversation with the Alliance went pretty much as I figured it would. There was an apology for overstepping the treaty and a promise that something like this would never happen again. Words, placating words, no meaning to them just something they figured I wanted to hear. Well I’ve heard them and nothing more; as far as I was concerned once this incident was over we needed to have a face to face, heart to heart, discussion concerning the relationship between Shahrazad and the Alliance. Maybe a newer treaty was in order, I don’t know, at the moment I have more pressing issues facing me.

Now to set Zachary straight; the nice thing about communicating with him I don’t have to mince words. In this respect we are both professional military officers and the political posturing that I needed before won’t be needed in this case. I open up the link Atosuryua established and stated the obvious.

“Zachary, thank you for waiting, with time being of the essence here; I’ll get to the point. You have current information concerning the present situation. As information becomes available I’ll share it with you but I also must make you aware of another factor. I’ve just had a conference with the Alliance; while cordial you should already be aware of what transpired. So here is my only condition, anything, from this moment on, that I share with you I’m sharing with you and you alone period, no ifs, ands or buts. Zachary my present mood will not allow any one to undermine our efforts here. So if you can agree to that condition as information becomes available I’ll be happy to share it with you.”

Sobbash’s message was as I fear it would be. Those meddling fools at Alliance head quarters have finally done it they’ve driven a wedge in between the Alliance and Shahrazad. I’m in a difficult position half of me wants to know and the other half knows I have to report everything I find out back to the Alliance. I take a route that Sobbash should understand. I tell her I have to give her offer some consideration and I’ll get with her in a little while with my decision. She accepted my offer and the link closed.

I’ve left the bridge and made my way to a remote observation deck. Standing here taking in the view that surrounds me I decide to take a course that may well reset the governing body not only with in the Alliance but Doras as well. In my years of service I’ve collided with our Empress on several occasions, on her own as sovereign of Doras she is a manageable person but once she became head of the Alliance the rush of power swelled her head. She makes illogical decisions and has the ability to sway those around her to her way of thinking. Add in her looks and most members of the Alliance follow her like lap dogs waiting their turn to sit upon her lap.

I’ve warned our Empress and the Alliance on many an occasion that angering Shahrazad is suicidal and I’ve been ignored or placated to keep me from becoming a pest. Well it’s time for this pest to infest the surrounding area and make those unaware, aware of the dangerous position that the Alliance and our Empress are putting us in.

While the thought of an all out war with Shahrazad should scare one enough it should be noted that Shahrazad has alliances with worlds that are not part of the Alliance. Say for instance the Zon decided to join Shahrazad in righting the perceived wrong. There is no way the Alliance could stand up against the Zon war machine and I for one do not want Tara as my queen.

I’ve made my way back to my cabin. I’ve set up a secrecy curtain just incase my cabins bugged and I’ve opened a very secure link to those dozen with in the ministry I have trusted all these years. I give them a very basic over view of our current situation plus the communications I’ve received not only from the Alliance, Her Highness but Sobbash’s last conversation as well.

“This is escalating into more than a search for the former governor and her party. The Alliance and our Empress have become hell bent on usurping Shahrazad and have decided at this time to execute some unorthodox plan. We stand between those who have lost reason and those who wish for a stable future. It is time friends to alter the course of history, I want one thing understood though, I do not seek nor do I want power. That will be up to the populist to decide. What I’m after is to stop a war before it begins. If you review carefully everything I’ve sent you you’ll understand the perilous course the Alliance has taken in the past hours. They figure with Shahrazad’s fleet away they can put pressure on Sobbash to alter the treaty. It’s my thought the more you push Sobbash and the government of Shahrazad the more likely it is for a new very restrictive treaty, at the point of their fleet, to be shoved down our throats. That and a war are the two things I want to avoid at all costs and by war I mean not only with Shahrazad, but I want to avoid a civil war on Doras as well.”

Our discussion lasted another hour; after several heated exchanges we were now on the same page. Instead of acting immediately we were going to wait until the Alliance executed their plan then negate it by the Dorian fleet refusing any further orders from the Alliance. Our contacts with in Fleet Command were being made aware of the present course being taken and the objections being received made our heated discussion look like a friendly disagreement. Fleet Command had its hands full with pirates at the moment. They had received a fleet wide alert from the Alliance concerning another more important mission they might be needed for. However the mission was a mystery until we told them of the current back story.

The Admirals with in Fleet Command took a dim view of how the Empress was using our military to appease the Alliance at the cost of Dorian enterprise and security. My position as Admiral of the Fleet, retired, put me in a position to assure Fleet Command that we had no intention of letting that occur this time. With the fleet secured and those in the government who were loyal to the Empress under surveillance all there was to do was sit and wait for the orders to be issued then ignored.

“That was quite devious Empress; promising Sobbash she’d have eleven fleets at her disposal and in reality…”

The Dorian Empress clamped her hand over my mouth and pulled me away from the gather group.

“You blithering idiot the Alliance really thinks we are going to help Sobbash if she needs it. My order will be for the fleet to surround Shahrazad and establish a military quarantine. Before their allies can arrive we’ll have had them submit to my, err ah, the Alliances will. Now keep silent about this or you’ll not see another sunrise.”

Our long distant scanning is still confusing comparing our original scan to the area in front of us I’d swear were weren’t in the same space yet the coordinates show we are where we should be or were we? I tie in directly to the navigational computer and get quite a surprise.

“Ariel, disconnect from the system, tie into the navigational system directly and tell me what you see.”

She followed my request and saw what I was seeing our position was almost forty and half light seconds from where we were suppose to be. I informed Arisa of the system abnormality; she reboots the entire system and that’s when it happened.

“Dai I’ve lost contact with Independence and Defiance they were just off our starboard side and now its empty space.”

Scanners came on line; we located the other two ships they were heading in different directions all leading back to the relay satellite. We made contact with them, I told them to halt their progress do a complete system reboot and then report their position. Once their systems were back on line I ordered a return to the relay satellite for a conference.

Scholar was a confused as I was; we’d stopped dead in space a complete system reboot was done without warning and then we started moving again. I could sense confusion in the ship; Scholar said what ever it was it was of great concern. It was at that moment Noel grabbed my hand and spoke her first words.

“Bridge now must go.”

She was still unable to walk; I looked for a method of moving her and found a supply dolly sitting in the corridor. Scholar helped me get her on the dolly and I wheeled her to the lift with Scholar a half step behind me.

Arriving on the bridge we found a conversation or should I say large difference of opinions being banded about. Our entrance brought everything to a stop which was good because as much noise as was being generated I’d never heard Noel’s next request.

“Tactical station, sit, hook me up.”

Ariel help Scholar and I seat Noel at the station. I took her data crystals and inserted them into the chair while Scholar and Ariel steadied her. Our biggest fear was that she’d fall out of the seat and on to the deck. Once she established a link with the system she did a data dump to it. It would seem the system, when attacked, used Noel as a reliable backup. Once her mind was clear her general condition improved dramatically. Taking a deep breath in and letting it out slowly she looked at us and said.

“Headaches are gone I can explain in general terms what happened to us. What I just loaded back into the system, once sorted, should answer all of your questions. Is Sobbash listening to this?”

“She’s not honey, but I am, tell me what’s on your mind.”

Risch’s voice, I thought I’d never hear it again. My face must have shown my joy because the next thing I knew Seelnay was dabbing my cheeks with a cloth.

“Risch confine Tay; put her somewhere she has no access to the computer systems. She’s part of this event but I’m not sure how deeply involved she is until we sort everything out.”

“Already two steps ahead of you Noel, security took her to the isolation division twelve hours ago. She’s under constant surveillance and completely isolated here I’ll show you.”

The image appeared and within seconds I knew something was wrong and I informed Risch of my suspicions.

“You better check with a live body I think you’re being fooled.”

He called security and sure enough the cell was empty the guards outside the room stunned. A general alarm was sent out and our conversation ended suddenly.

I leaned back in the seat, most of my confusion cleared; I finally had a picture of what I’d seen in the moments before the retreat was ordered. I got my fingers to function enough so I could access the data banks. The main display became active and my observations where displayed there. We had been fooled, deceived, and under a general form of mind control. The system was finally in sync with the rest of the universe and the second display came as quite a surprise to everyone but me.

We were still an hour at max speed from the Minors system what we saw and experienced were an elaborate illusion that is my only explanation for what happened. It would seem the ships AI weren’t fooled but the wave was overwriting their data faster than they could find a safe place to store it hence I became that storage vessel. Those tied into the system were seeing my thoughts the rest I transcribed those thoughts into words and placed them on the main viewer. The uproar was not as I expected it would seem most of the assembled had gotten to about the same conclusion as I had. I’m guessing that was the argument that was raging when we arrived, looks like I’ve settled it or at least part of it.

I open my eyes and see Dai sitting in the center seat, it fits her nicely I sit up as straight as I can and address her.

“I’m incapacitated, as Captain I’m giving you the seat Dai. Seelnay, can you help me back to med bay I want to rest.”

I watched as Seelnay and Scholar loaded Noel back on the dolly and wheeled her off the bridge. She had saved me the awkward task of telling her Sobbash had already relieved her; I’ll leave it at that. After another ten minutes of discussion we turned our focus to the Minors system. We headed that direction at max speed scanning for the shuttle as we went E.T.A. was one hour ten minutes.

Tay had eluded us, Lala and the entire security staff was scanning the planet for any trace of her. At the present she had disappeared and Lala was not happy about it.

“Sobbash wants her alive if it was my decision it would be dead or alive but Sobbash is the boss and I’ll abide by her wishes although if Tay puts up a fight and suffers a few bumps and bruises what can I say.”

Lala’s inspirational talk to security was relayed back to Sobbash. The Governor while not amused did not countermand Lala’s orders. Personally I think Sobbash has wanted to deck Tay for many years yet…

“Risch tell me what you’ve discovered.”

In the time Sobbash had been away several members of the council had arrived and we were about fifty percent of the way through the old data. It was the new data I wanted to talk about and with that I replayed the earlier conversation I had with Noel. Sobbash was glued to the viewer; she seemed interested in Noel than what Noel was saying. I took a half step back and viewed the conversation from that perspective. My stars Noel what had happened to you, although her speech was clear it was evident her facial movements were nonexistent. Then I noticed her hands sat on the console motionless as she thumbed through the images with her mind. Was she that badly injured? Now I had more questions than answers, as I reached for the link Sobbash pushed my hand away and said.

“When the time is right we’ll know what has happened to her. Until then let’s concentrate on the task at hand and figure out just what our people are facing out there; okay?”

“Tara, something’s very wrong within the Alliance. We’ve been monitoring communications and suddenly everything sent on any channel has gone scrambled. I’m moving to the flagship and heading to the border with the Alliance. I’ll leave sufficient divisions here to guard the home world, but I sense something’s a foot and I want to be a part of it this time.”

Like Minchi, Tara had a feeling since that ship was towed through Zon space that something wasn’t quite right in that part of the galaxy. She granted Minchi’s request with one stipulation.

“Go, but understand this; we will not fire the first shot. You’ll have to take damage before you can defend yourself, Am I making myself clear, sister?”

“Crystal clear sister.”

Minchi took a step back bowed to her sister and left the chamber. Tara went back to the data feed from the observation network along the border between the Alliance and the Zon Empire. She knew the minute the Armada sailed there would be activity and she waited for the Alliance’s response.

It was getting late, Kenesh couldn’t look another cup of coffee in the face, yet she just had her aide refill the cup. It had been eight hours since her conversation with Sobbash and the information received has remained stagnate. Raising the cup to her lip she took in the strong drink as she sat the cup down, a runner from the Ministry entered the room the information she had took Kenesh aback. Reading it carefully she opened a link to the Ministry; a senior advisor answered her call.

“Kenesh, good to see you, if you’re calling about the dispatch it’s verified and accurate. A Suran freighter spotted the movement and provided us with detail counts and direction. Outside of that, as the dispatch states, you’ll not discuss this information with anyone... good evening.”

The link abruptly closed before Kenesh could ask who else in the Empire knew about this. Duhiel had told her to take any measures necessary. Kenesh was about to shake up the intelligence community within the Empire. However her first thought was if Sobbash knew anything about this. Downing the rest of the coffee she asked for another refill and started the process of finding out who knows what about the massive movement of the Zon Armada.

“Tactical did the Suran get a good look at our fleet?”

“Yes Mistress they’re transmitting our position to the Abh at the moment.”

“Excellent, execute plan two in thirty minutes, have two divisions proceed to the border and start war games. While the rest of us cloak and head for point Object and wait.”

Minchi opened up her display and projected the fleet’s position, the splitting off of two divisions and point Object. Once complete she would have seven divisions’, almost seven hundred ships of the line, sitting a mere thirty minutes, at max speed, from Shahrazad just inside the border between them and the Alliance. At the same time two divisions’ would be in plain sight of the Dorian home world and headquarters of the Alliance, sitting just inside the border, having war games. Minchi wanted the Alliance to know the Zon were in fact watching them.

What only a few selected people knew was that one hour ago a cloaked assault fleet comprising one hundred thousand troops and landing equipment left the home world enroute to point Object. Minchi had an old dispute with the Alliance that she was going to settle if the opportunity presented itself. The stage was being prepared, sets moved into place, actors briefed on their lines, now she awaited the curtain to rise and act one to begin.

“Captains personal log: ten hours have passed since our last contact with the shuttle. We are approaching the Minors system at sub light and in complete defensive mode. The ships are spaced enough apart if we were to be attacked one or more would have the chance to escape and warn Shahrazad. To that end we deployed the second comm. satellite just outside the system. We have about ten second voice lag and fifteen second data lag so at least they’ll know what we are up against. Before entering the system Sobbash informed me that she had an eleven fleet commitment from the Alliance. Comforting as that may be that fact is it would take them, hours to get here even if I ordered them now. We were on our own and I hope my next actions don’t cost us our lives.”

“Tactical continue sweeping the area the moment anything out of the ordinary shows up speak up, loudly.”

I move to my right. Scholar and Ariel man the science station. I’m hoping they have something to say. As I approach Scholar speaks.

“Initial scans confirm this is the Minors system. Data from sixty years ago matches what the scanners are seeing right now. Dai, what ever we encountered the first time wasn’t the Minors system I’ll bet on that.”

Moving to a position where I can see better I examine the display. It is true the data matches almost to well. The link between the other two ships is open I ask them to confirm our observations and there is a slight difference of opinion. Plakia comments while the data matches there should be subtitle changes with in the system since the original scans were made. Cassie interjects that to her it looks like we are exploring the system as it existed sixty years past. I agree with both of them and we start an intensive scan of the area. What appears behind the sixth planet brings silence to the link.

“Confirmed Dai object is the shuttle, it is adrift and there are no life signs.”

Ariel projects an intercept course on the display and we move toward the shuttle. Once in range we attach tow lines and bring it into Independence’s shuttle bay. Scholar, Seelnay and I transport over to Independence it is there Cassie meets us. Making our way to the shuttle bay we open the airlock and approach the shuttle.

The shuttle’s intact although it shows it was in a fight of some kind and recently. The door is secured from the inside. Cassie approaches the door and accesses the panel her third code try opens the door. Entering we find the shuttle in disarray and empty. I try to access the ship internal scanners and they too are code locked. It takes Cassie several attempts to access this system finally we gain limited access and play back the ships log. Jumping forward in time to the last half hour of the recording we find its access locked. It takes Cassie another ten tries to gain access. The message displayed brought tears to her eyes.

“We will love you Cassandra, always.”

Cassie exited the shuttle and I followed her. Scholar and Seelnay kept at the recording. I opened a link to Plakia and told her to transport over, in a flash she was there, holding Cassie tightly.

Zachary sat in his quarters it had been sometime since he’d talked to Sobbash. While he was not going to disclose his plan that he set in motion, he figured she should know his true position. As he was opening a link planet side the Captain chimed in.

“Minister I have a priority one message from the Suran ambassador for you.”

I ask her to transfer it to my screen and with in a flash the ambassador is facing me. The always cheerful ambassador has a look I’ve never seen before. Given their stature and those elfin features, this look remind me of Dai's comment, he does look like a pointed ear hobgoblin. The ambassador was to the point.

“Minister Zachary it is common knowledge that we don’t like Dorian’s or their puppet government the Alliance. While your Empress has ignored us the entire time she’s sat on the throne you have, at least, shown respect for our race. Since you’re in the Shahrazad system I’ll share the following Intel with you.”

A secondary window opens up it has the scan from a Suran freighter. There before my eyes is at least seventy – five percent of the Zon Armada. Their course puts it on a direct collision path with the Alliance. It is then the ambassador continues.

“About an hour ago the Armada made a course change and shift in size. Two divisions continued on course and are now along the border with the Alliance in perceived war games. The rest of the Armada cloaked and their whereabouts is unknown. Just thought you should know and Minister, rumor has it Minchi is commanding the Armada for what its worth. Also this conversation never occurred with that I’ll leave you to your duties good bye Minister.”

The screen dimmed and I shook my head, Minchi is leading the Armada and they’re nowhere to be found. Given what the Empress and the Alliance are trying to pull, coupled with Sobbash’s problems we may have to act sooner than I expected. I inform the group of the latest Intel and tell them to be ready at a moments notice. Now I wonder if Dai’s found anything.

Cassie was in good hands as I started back into the shuttle I heard Scholar exclaim.

“You’ve got to be kidding me, seriously that’s what happened? DAI! Get back in here at once.”

Scholar’s voice was still echoing inside the shuttle as I put my hand on her shoulder. She didn’t flinch instead she started the record playing with this comment.

“You’re about to see the last ten minutes of the record it’s pretty spotty but you’ll get the message.”

The recording started it showed Jinto and Lafiel sleeping; the ships systems were off line and the door was secured from the inside. I stopped the record and looked at Scholar.

“You care to explain this before we continue?”

Scholar was temporarily stunned then it hit her I’d been out of the ship for the past thirty minutes with Cassie. She took my head between her hands and brought me up to date in a matter of seconds. When she was finished I had the picture but related it to her to make sure nothing got lost in the translation.

“So they were under the impression they were on a planet, had explored it, and were resting for the evening. While in fact they were in space, and had never left the ship.”

Scholar started the record again and what I saw now was making sense. It started with the proximity alarm sounding. There was confusion aboard the shuttle as could be expected. They were convinced they were on a planet, that alarm only sounds when an object gets to close to the ship while its in space.

Jinto exclaims to Lafiel that they are in space. She refuses to believe him until she sees for her self that they truly are and are being towed towards a ship. Lafiel empties the shuttles weapons at them to no avail. Jinto manages to get images of the ship set an internal record going and code everything before the ship is taken inside. Once inside they are subjected to a mind probe the codes for the door revealed and they are forcibly removed from the shuttle.

The recording captures images of those who did this I don’t know them by name, but that uniform, there is no doubt in my mind, Argo's pirates. Some of the most ruthless pirates that are roaming this part of the galaxy, they been kidnapped by a group whose agenda has always called for the disillusion of the Alliance and return of several worlds they claimed as theirs before the Four Nations War with the Empire.

How Tay figures into this equation remains a mystery, but one thing I do know, we are going to need help if we are going to attempt a rescue. The three of us stand no chance of confronting the entire Argo Pirate Guild. We’d be outnumbered at least one hundred to one and although we’ve got advanced weapons they’ve got superior numbers.

Its time to tell the rest of the fleet of our new dilemma and to ask Sobbash to call the Calvary we are going to need some serious assistance. In the mean time we’ll try to track those who took Jinto and Lafiel. Luck was on our side their ship left a pretty massive energy signature which was on a course towards the Argos System.

I exited the shuttle and approached Plakia and Cassandra. Scholar and Seelnay stood with me as I explained what we found. Plakia was stunned but had a feeling something like this had happened when she saw the ship. Cassie on the other hand went to pieces when I mentioned the word kidnapped. I tried to assure her that a logical reason for them being taken hostage was their use as a bargaining tool but Cassie wasn’t listening to me instead she took a few steps back from us and got our attention.

“I’ve withheld information from all of you. Once I give you that information you’ll understand why freeing my parents must be accomplished within the next three days without fail.”

Plakia made a move towards Cassie; she stopped her advance and said.

“Jasmine is convinced that mother is with child, a fact she’s been hiding from everyone. However in the scans Jasmine did; look I’ll be blunt, my mother needs an extensive genetic screening because Jasmine feels that child my not be compatible and there is a remote possibility that we might lose both of them over it. We need to get mother to a facility, preferably on Shahrazad, in the next three days. After that the damage, if any, may be too far along to reverse.”

I moved everyone to the conference room aboard Independence, linking the other two ships along with Shahrazad I made a detailed report concerning what we’ve found and our options. I had Cassandra include what Jasmine had told her as well. Our general opinion in the field was to pursue the kidnappers and order reinforcements once we found them. Sobbash on the other hand had a different view and she stated it to us.

“All well and good Dai with one exception, if they know you’re coming or you stumble upon them you’ll be grossly out numbered. I’m suggesting the following. We move forces to that part of the galaxy while you follow, at a safe distance, the pirates. Once you know for sure where they are you’ll have the support minutes instead of hours away. Also we were promised support, when I tell said support what the enemy is there may be a massive case of cold feet too. Don’t commit your forces before you know how much aid we have. Wars are lost on supposition remember that, I’ll contact the Alliance and get back with you until then take no provocative actions Dai.”

I hate when Sobbash is right and she’s right this time. If I had my druthers I’d go after those ships and without warning take back what was ours but there is that beam that was projected at us and a few other oddities that make the back of my neck itch. I order our following as Sobbash prescribed. Scholar, Seelnay and I return to the ship, where I put Ariel in command, while the three of us go back to my cabin and explore that device. Something tells me a lot of the answers are still inside there.

To Be Continued In: Reclaiming What Is Rightfully Ours

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."