52_Voices in the Dark

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

52_Voices in the Dark

Post by Diaho »

Voices in the Dark

The ship had been in the shadow of an asteroid, the asteroid had changed position and we got our first good look at what Dai had found. The ship seemed intact; when the light of the sun it was orbiting hit it there was a sudden jump in energy output within the ship. The real-time link dropped suddenly and Sobbash said.

“Get the feed back, locate Noel and her crew and get them back here at once. KO, open a link I want to speak to Eliana.”

Greta was on the surface link as I opened a link to the flagship; suddenly the communications system went berserk. Everything flashed and then the mournful sound of an emergency beacon was heard. I silenced the alarm, we were numb. The silence was deafening.

Sobbash looked at me and said.

“Identify the beacon.”

I placed the flagship on delay and brought up the sensor array. One pass and we had our answer the beacon belonged to Discovery.

It was a quiet shift; I had just relaxed with a promotional video from Shahrazad. I was picking a place to visit while I was there when…

“Your Highness we’re being hailed for the surface Governor Sobbash is… Well she was coming on line, the links been put on hold suddenly.”

As Eliana sat wondering why Sobbash interrupted a link before a word was said, it was then the tactical officer piped up.

“Highness I’m receiving a distress beacon analyzing its origin now.”

Tactical is moved to the main viewer as the officer says.

“The beacon is from the Shahrazad ship Discovery but we’re having trouble pinpointing its current position. As you can see on the display the beacon is haphazardly bouncing about the sector it is in. I estimate it to be about eight light years away on this rough heading. I’ve also scanned for their other ship Defiance; I can not find any trace of it in the general area. I’m expanding the search area now.”

I remember there being an energy surge then darkness. All main systems are off line, emergency back ups have kicked in but… what has happened, it’s all fuzzy.

“Bridge… Bridge you read me?”

Arisa’s voice flooded the bridge I opened a link but had no idea what to say. Greeted with silence Arisa delivered her message.

“Disconnect from the ships A.I. at once. Dai, Ariel do it, do it at once, its gone berserk. I have no control over it whatsoever.”

It took all my being to reach for the data links and with one pull I was free. Making my way around the bridge I disconnected the others. As we regained our senses Ariel said.

“Dai better have a look at this.”

She pointed to the ships chronometer, it was frozen …

“That can’t be right that’s… Ariel, check all the other sources.”

According to the chronometer we were frozen in time my next thought I voiced aloud.

“Where is Defiance? Arisa where are my systems?”

It had been several minutes since I issued the warning and when I heard Dai call for a system check I knew she had removed herself from the A.I. unit. At the moment the A.I. still had operational control of the ship I was about to remedy that. I opened a ship wide link and said.

“Attention crew. The A.I. has taken control of the ship I’m about to disconnect it. Brace yourselves because I have no idea how the ship will react when the plugs pulled, engineering out.”

“KO, Open the link, and get Eliana on line.”

“Sobbash what is going on? We’ve received a distress beacon from Discovery we’re unable to pinpoint its location, your ships seem to have…”

“I don’t know. Send me all the data you have and stand by.”

The link was put back on hold it was then Greta said.

“I’ve reached Atosuryua, there seems to be a problem at the complex. Noel’s party is pitching a fit over something; they’re demanding to speak directly with you.”

“Greta cue up the last five minutes of data from Discovery and send it to Atosuryua. Have her show it to Noel and if she has any doubt, tie them into the security records for the past fifteen minutes. If Noel’s on the ball those images will be enough to get her to change her mind.”

Atosuryua had no answers to our questions and when Seelnay informed her of the information we’ve received from Donald she showed little if any emotion. It was then we demanded to speak with Sobbash. A link was opened and instead of Sobbash we got a data feed from Discovery. Noel studied the data carefully she took a half step back looked Atosuryua in the eye and said.

“There’s more to this isn’t there?”

A second link was displayed we only watched it for a few moments that’s when Noel said.

“I’m assuming there is a transport ready to take us to the Island?”

Atosuryua nodded and pointed us to the bay where the transport was docked. Arriving there we meet up with Robert, Lily and Risch. Robert and Risch are in a deep, to the point of being oblivious, discussion concerning the ship. I would have left them there but it was the Island’s request that they accompany us. Lily on the other hand was lost; she was in a separate part of the building studying the engineering specs of the ship and had no idea of what had transpired. Once on the transport she was brought up to speed, I must admit rather rudely, but time was of the essence and our link dumped a lot of information in a short period of time to her. Once finished she took my hand and said.

“Why was there the rush? If what you’ve told me is true we’re down two more ships? Please tell me this is all a dream and I’ll awake in my bed safe and sound.”

Mom pulled me to her and gave me a hug. While in that position I knew this was no dream. While she looked calm I could hear her heart racing and the short quick breaths she was taking. We were a few minutes from the Island when mom decided to break up the conversation between Robert and Dad.

She wasn’t diplomatic about it, but it did get their attention. She calmly explained what we were walking into and their looks, oh my, shock didn’t cover that look in the least bit.

Discovery was in position just beginning their scan when the sunlight hit the ship in front of them. There was an energy discharge from the ship which our shields deflected most of the initial impact, the second wave knocked our systems off line. Operating on emergency power we were able to determine two important facts. One the ship that was in front had us encompassed in a stable three dimensional space time bubble and two we were no longer in the quadrant of space where we encountered it.

“Bridge… Engineering… the ship is draining power directly from Discovery all of their main systems are down. I’ll be able to give you partial main power in a few minutes but in the mean time, chronographs aboard the ship show we are frozen in time which defies all known logic.”

“Can we move? If we can head towards Discovery if not make getting this ship moving your top priority, understand, we need to move.”

“You’ve got partial sub light engines but don’t push them, they are powering the ship, you kill them and you kill us.”

“Tactical, do we have a fix on Discovery?”

“Yes Captain but there seems to be a secondary energy field around the ship.”

“Navigator, move us closer to Discovery avoiding contact with the field. Do we have any operational scanners?”

“Dedicated scanners are off line all we have are tactical and navigational beams and they seem to be stable at the moment.”

Plakia rose from the center seat and replaced the science officer at his station. Modifying the secondary tactical channel she tied herself into the system. A curious science officer inquired as to her motives and Plakia explained.

“There is one telepath aboard that ship. I’m going to artificially project my thoughts, telling them what is affecting their ship. I hope I make contact and they isolate the main power grid. If I’m successful with the lack of power we should be released from our prison.”

“Captain we’re as close as I dare get I can sense the energy field dancing off our hull.”

“Captain you’ve got partial main power and shields if you need them.”

Plakia thanks engineering for their efforts then said.

“Most of you have served aboard a ship capable of two dimensional plane space travel. You know the dangers associated with altering space and time, if we are successful I can not tell you what repercussions, if any, suddenly dropping a three dimensional bubble will cause.”

Plakia opened the tactical channel and relaxed. The data stream from Defiance penetrated Discovery’s hull she transmitted data for about three minutes. Once completed she rose from the station returned to her seat opened a ship wide link and said.

“I’ve made contact with Discovery they are aware of our findings it would seem their A.I. unit had taken over the ship. They’ve successfully disconnected it however isolating the main gird will take sometime. It would seem we’re taking a trip and the best thing we can do is get the ship operational and wait for either our arrival or Discovery successfully isolating their main power grid. Captain out.”

Arriving on the Island we approached the administrative offices. At first Risch said he’d go inside but mother put a halt to that. She decided that Seelnay and Scholar would venture inside and bring Sobbash out. Mother wanted to deal with her out of her lair.

We waited as Seelnay and Scholar ventured inside. It didn’t take long for an emotional Sobbash to come into view. Mother decided earlier that Sobbash would get all the time she wished, within reason, to explain what has happened. If not satisfactory I had the feeling they were going to have one of their ‘conversations’ and I for one was not in the mood to watch them have a standoff. Sobbash approached mother extended her hands palm up and said.

“There is no time for words Noel, I know your ability, seek what you will and let’s get back to finding our comrades.”

In a surprise move Seelnay and Scholar joined hands with Sobbash and mother it didn’t take more than a few minutes and mother exclaimed.

“So this is all Tay’s doing? Sobbash why in the world did you let this continue all you had to do was stop…”

It was then Scholar intervened and merged with Sobbash’s mind. We could sense the purge, once accomplished Sobbash fell to her knees. Dad and Seelnay moved to her side while Scholar said.

“Tay needs to be put into a deeper stasis, she is still at a level where she can subtly control ones actions. Sobbash has been controlled all this time; we need to eliminate any more interference.”

Opening a link to the Complex, Scholar give specific instruction to those there on adjusting the field surround Tay, once that’s accomplished she opens a link to Doctor Sasoum and says.

“We’ve located the cause of the affection; you might want to check on your ‘star’ patients. I’m going to bet they’ve returned to their normal selves. If not let me know I’ll be by and fix the damage done.”

Stunned, mother approaches Scholar and said.

“You knew about this and you let it happen…”

“I suspected Tay was up to no good but until I knew who she had affected there was nothing I could do. Joining with Sobbash, which in itself was a complete departure from her normal self, gave me a link to Tay. It was then I sensed who was influenced, I’ve broken that influence and put Tay in a place where she shouldn’t be able to influence anyone again, I hope. Noel you realize Tay was going to try to influence you through Sobbash, hence the sudden request for you and you alone to link with her.”

Mother took a half step back and looked around her while she and Scholar had conversed Sobbash had returned to her feet. While my mother had a look of disbelief on her face, Sobbash’s look was of wonder and amazement. Released from Tay’s influence she knew what she had done and was amazed that her own will was so easily compromised. Approaching mother she said.

“Noel I need your help to rectify…”

Mother took her hands and said.

“Let’s go together and fix this I feel guilty for ever thinking…”

Greta’s voice over the creunoc returned us all to our senses.

“Get back in here, I think I’ve located them and if these numbers are correct… just get back in here now.”

Defiance ships log: Plakia Lexshu recording. Discovery and we are on the fourth hour of our unexpected journey. It would seem the other ship has no interest in us at all. In the past hour we’ve made a close approach and scanned it thoroughly. Its systems closely resemble those aboard Discovery a fact I’m not letting get buried by our present situation. We’ve made contact with Discovery once again and have forwarded all of our observation to Arisa. She plans on taking the main grid completely off line and the crew is donning survival suits. If successful Discovery will be unprotected, it will be our duty to encompass them in a force field as the bubble is collapsed. To that we’ve moved as close to Discovery as possible.”

“Bridge… Engineering we’re as ready as we’ll ever be. The crew reports secured and on life support. Send Defiance the signal pulling the plug in forty five seconds.”

“Ariel, flash position lights continuous flash, Captain to crew brace for impact.”

“Captain, Discovery is sending the signal.”

Plakia takes note of the light display and says.

“Ready shields, encompass Discovery the moment the energy barrier dissipates and then move us as close to them as possible.”

We knew the moment Arisa cut power, the glow around Discovery disappeared, we barely got a field around them when.

“Captain, energy readings are… the bubble’s about to collapse.”

Upon later review the bubble didn’t collapse, it burst; throwing Discovery and us clear of the other ship which continued to drift away from us. Once in normal space we had several events to accomplish, first, was to determine Discovery’s condition, second, figure out just where we were then proceed from there. On our last scanning pass I planted a transponder beacon on the other ship. We knew where it was and in my opinion we weren’t a comfortable distance for it.

“Engineering, attach a tow line to Discovery, once that is accomplished, helmsman, put ten million kilometers minimum between us and the target ship. Communications can Discovery hear us?”

“We can hear you Defiance, main and auxiliary power is off line. We are on storage cells. Environmental systems at thirty percent if I can’t get some power back on line and soon we’ll freeze before we suffocate. Pulling the plug has really trashed everything over here.”

“Navigation, have figured out where we are?”

“Not yet I can tell you where we are not though, we are out of our system by at least ten light years.”

“Dai, besides it being dark and cold, are you alright?”

“If you mean by alright, uninjured and the ships in one piece then we are alright. Outside of that Lily’s going to have a fit when she sees what we’ve done to her pride and joy.”

Eliana sat quietly while her crew scanned the system looking for any trace of Shahrazad’s missing ships. In a moment she was suppose to have another conference with Sobbash and wanted current data to exchange. From their vantage point Eliana had witnessed the departure and was taking that information along with the approximate location of Discovery’s beacon and projecting a course line. This information she’ll forward to Sobbash as well. Thoughts of those aboard those ships were entering her thoughts when the Tactical Officer said.

“Highness; the beacon has ceased transmitting the distress code it is now sending a data stream. I’m recording it, but with the complexity of this code, I have no idea what it is trying say.”

Eliana moved to the tactical station to observe the data. What she saw was a complex set of formulas being transmitted. Her knowledge of physics was limited, but she realized the importance of several equations. But, why was the beacon transmitting this data? The recording continued incase the planet missed this information.

“Defiance ships log: Plakia Lexshu recording. The problems keep multiplying. We’ve roughly determined our position and the Abh have been here once before a few centuries ago. That aside the overriding problem is with Discovery or rather what their encounter with the other ship has done to them. All reaction power systems have been rendered inert. Arisa has tried for the past hour to coax something back on line but to no avail. If that were the only problem we faced it would actually be simple to remedy but there is another more sinister problem a problem that has us stymied at the moment.

Discovery’s hull has been polarized causing a shift in its molecular properties. We are unable to scan inside the ship and transporters, well the tests we not positive. Sending anything over or trying to retrieve the crew at this juncture is useless and potentially deadly. Discovery is down to less than six hours of life support and their suits might be good for another two hours. That’s little precious time to try to find a remedy. Right now I’m using every bit of training and logic I have because our computers, while on line, are stumped and what I mean by stumped is they are saying it’ll will take them more time to think of something than Dai and her crew have to survive.”

Returning to the control center we found Greta viewing a data dump from Discovery’s beacon. After being jettisoned the beacon recorded as much data as it could to send out as soon as it made contact with our net. This was something Lily had designed into the system and it was now providing us with valuable information. Robert and Lily moved to a separate console and started the recorded stream from its beginning, while we watched the last of it being received.

It was then Greta pull up the master star maps and tried to plot their position. Given the data received, the system refused to accept the parameters inputted, it was then Sobbash, Seelnay and Noel assisted Greta. Risch moved to where Robert and Lily were and I stood in the middle of the room unsure what to do when I saw Kenesh sitting in the corner of the room observing in awe what was transpiring around her. Moving to her side I grabbed the seat next to her sat down and said.

“I’ll guess central command at the Capital doesn’t operate in this fashion.”

Not removing her gaze from the star maps, Kenesh took a breath, collected her thoughts, and said.

“I never realized how few they are, yet how much they seem to have accomplished. KO I guess you could say I’m…”

Kenesh’s expression changed markedly her eyes seem to be fixated on the star map. I returned my eyes to the map and like Kenesh I became fixated with what I saw. The first segmented line appeared that lead from Shahrazad to their encounter with the other ship. The next segment, there were several lines heading in the same general direction but the distance covered. We watched as the data was inputted manually and the several lines started to become one. Although we did not know exactly where our ships were we had a base course, but the speed displayed, that had to be in error.

Only plain space ships, like those the Abh used, could think about achieving those speeds and they needed a Sord to accomplish that. There was no sign of a Sord in the area that the ship was in encountered in. We watched as the system continued to update the course and speed. The course remained the same but the initial speed had increased even more. We began to wonder if the data from the beacon was in error but after closer analysis we determined it to be fairly accurate. Some where along that line, depending on where they stopped, were our ships, maybe.

“Captain I’ve located a small sun and six planets however it’s five light hours away.”

Plakia acknowledged the navigators words and returned to her project. The answer was in front of her just how to accomplish it. Discovery needed two things to survive, heat and oxygen. With their limited power they where producing oxygen then heat but not at the same time. The idea of moving them to a heat producing source was two fold; one, they had to produce oxygen and circulate it in the ship, if an artificial source of heat could be supplied then the system would actually do one third of the work. Hence giving Discovery about sixteen hours of life and hopefully in that time Arisa could get a chambered reaction in either system, up and running. They found the heat source but they were too far away yet… Opening a link to engineering Plakia asked the following.

“How fast can we travel safely with Discovery in tow?”

The answer was as she expected.

“Captain if we place them in a stable force field with us we can safely accelerate to just short of light speed.”

“I see and if we positioned them in our exhaust wake how much ship heating would that accomplish?”

This initial answer was a bit vague.

“It depends on how much damage you want to do to the ship? I mean if we get them fairly close we could simulate summer at the equator and probably buckle a few plates but if you after something in the let’s say twenty- five degree C environment we could do that but to only to the part of the ship facing the wake. The rest of the ship would still be cold unless they circulated… Captain, you’re a genius. I’ll work on the computations at once.

“Navigator plot a course to the sun, Tactical confer with Engineering as to where to position Discovery, Communications open a link to Dai and put her on speaker.”

The communications officer places a conversation from inside Discovery on speakers.

“It’s no go Captain not in the time we have. My only choice, and I’m resisting it, is to do a force chamber explosion. But with the limited data I have I’m afraid I’ll blow us to bits.”

“Arisa if it comes down to it when the time comes we are going to perish any way you look at it. How soon could you have the force chamber explosion ready?”

“Half hour, forty – five minutes tops. I’m still going to act in the interest of safety. If not, all I have to do is open two valves and do something you Abh’s don’t do, pray.”

“Tap into that link and let me know when I’m in.”

The communications officer nods and Plakia says.

“Ladies, how about another option, I’ll give you enough time to rectify your problems and heat the ship while I’m at it. Are you interested in that option?”

“Ok Plakia I’ll bite, you managed to get the transporters working and you’re going to beam over some energy units, right?”

“Hardly, what I plan on doing is; we’ve found a sun about five light hours off. You’re now in a stable force field and I’m going to position your ship in our exhaust wake. If successful the ship might get a bit sun burnt, outside of that all you’ll have to do is circulate the heat while you keep up oxygen production. I estimate eight hours till we’re there, now one question, are your solar regeneration cells operational?”

There was silence from Discovery Plakia wondered if the link had failed it was then Arisa piped in and said.

“Solar panels seem operational, if you’re going to do this I’d like about fifteen minutes to move the crew out of the forward sections of the ship just incase you do more than sunburn us.”

“Agreed, we’ll need that time to finalize the distance from the ship we’ll place you at, signal us when you are ready.”

“NO… Risch, have you lost all sanity? We already have two children clinging to life, what you’re suggesting NO, NO, NO!!!”

Noel pounded the table in the conference room, after determining approximately where our ships were Risch and Robert suggested that they accelerate activation of the Grand Illusion and use it to retrieve Defiance and Discovery. Noel was dead set against the idea. It would also seem Scholar, Seelnay and I were of the same opinion. Greta and Kenesh had remained silent the entire time. Sobbash was standing facing Noel I was to Noel’s right. Noel was about to continue when a voice in the background said.

“That part of space is devoid of any active Sords so none of Nefee’s ship would be any help and since it’s outside of the treaty boundaries they’ll not be any ships to offer assistance. But if memory serves me correctly that part of space is not uninhabited. Can I have a secure link I need to tap a database or two?”

Greta offered Kenesh her console as she accessed the Imperial data files she continued.

“There are no ships around here that could traverse those distances in less than a few days. If you have a ship that can do it in a few hours, all I can say is, what are you doing standing around debating the fact?”

As Kenesh sorted the data it became evident that her memory was still as sharp as always. She placed a report on the main viewer and said.

“That report is right at one hundred years old, if the encountered species has made little to no development in that time your ships could have their hands full. That is, if, they are anywhere close to that projected course line. How soon could that ship of yours be operational?”

Not having the foggiest idea of what she was saying Kenesh continued to express her uneducated opinion about a ship she knew nothing about. Noel pushed me aside and spun Kenesh’s chair so she was facing her and said.

“Your curiosity is going to get you killed one of these days Kenesh. I’ll give you the slightest bit of information so you might form a little more logical assessment of the present situation. The ship in question is just out of storage and a little over two centuries old. We only understand about sixty percent of its operational systems and you would have us jump in it and go off to a very uncertain future? Just whose side are you on anyway, and by the way, jade green is NOT your color.”

Kenesh stared Noel squarely in the face, knowing her as many years as she had, she knew she wasn’t bluffing. This new information, now she understood everyone else’s hesitance in proceeding with using the ship. Yet there were almost one hundred crew members and two ships off somewhere, their plight remained unknown. Returning her seat to its normal position, she continued to study the data she downloaded looking for anything that might be of help.

Noel then turned back to Sobbash and said.

“I’m not budging this time; you’ll need someone else to take charge. If you’re going to launch that ship it’ll be without me aboard. I’ve had enough for quite sometime.”

With those words people in the room began to move. Seelnay and Scholar moved towards Noel. Robert and Lily stood next to each other although you could read confusion on their faces. Risch moved to Sobbash’s side. Greta and I remained in a neutral position. It was Kenesh that surprised us all she moved to Sobbash’s side and said.

“I don’t know all the underlying problems but there is one thing I do know. You have two ships missing and a means to try to ascertain their condition and you’re now having a major standoff. For one moment put yourselves in their position, hoping that you would be trying to reach them instead of arguing like…”

Noel glared at Kenesh and said.

“But out Kenesh, I know where you’re coming from and I don’t need another guilt trip at the moment.”

Noel moved towards Sobbash and stopped, you could sense the conflict brewing, and it was then, from the other end of the room…

“I can solve all of your problems, I volunteer my services as Captain and I’ll supply my own first officer you just find me enough competent people to operate that ship.”

At the back of the room two figures headed towards us we already knew who they were. Lafiel lead Jinto by three paces. She moved in-between Sobbash and Noel then continued from where she had left off.

“We got us into this fix we’d like the chance to make it right and don’t worry about me I’m fine. Doctor Sasoum gave me a clean bill of health right before we left. Now I’d like to see everything you have and I’d like the rest of you to return to your duties while you consider this. I’m going to leave here as soon as possible I’m going to find those two ships and bring them back. I already know how dangerous this will be, that’s why it is a volunteer mission. No one and I want to stress NO ONE will look down on anyone who decides to remain. Now who wants to give us a briefing on the ship?”

Lafiel was back and it would seem back to normal, yet, I saw Scholar taking a long look at her and while the briefing was going on, she and Seelnay took turns quietly observing Jinto and Lafiel. As the details of the ship were about to be presented Sobbash motioned to Greta and I, we made our way to her, she had a request.

“You two get Kenesh and go to the Village, find Erin, explain the present situation and request about twenty competent crew members. But mostly I’d like Kenesh out of here while we discuss the ship.”

We gathered Kenesh and went to the Village, enroute I could sense she was a bit disappointed with being ushered out just as the conversation was getting interesting. But she also knew her place, a place that was going to net her some valuable experience shortly.

“Captains personal log Plakia Lexshu recording: We are underway, Discovery is placed just starboard of the main exhaust and Dai reports the ship is at a tolerable twenty – five degrees C. in our present configuration we’ll arrive at our target in about six and a half hours. Maintaining the field around both ships is taxing our systems but engineering guarantees me that there will be no damage as long as we do not exceed the limits. I’ve ordered scanning of the area around the system as we approach but at reduced power the scans aren’t penetrating as far as I like. I’ve been off the bridge about an hour now I’ve spent that time going over the data we collected from the other ship. I wish Discovery’s computers were on line I’d like to have them compare this data with their own operational specifications. I have this feeling, that ship, and the one I have in tow are more similar than different. But first things first we need to get Discovery back on line and operational then we’ll solve a mystery or two.”

“That is the basics of the ship Lafiel. We know about seventy percent of the manual the rest we could do in short order if necessary.”

Lafiel sat and studied the information Risch and Robert had presented. Jinto sat by her side paging through the information on his own. He stopped, looked Lafiel in the face and smiled. She in turn cast her gaze towards Risch and asked.

“What are the possibilities of learning the ship as we go? It’s going to take several hours to get it operational, then what ever time it’ll take to follow the other two ships, so why don’t we get it up and running and head out?”

Noel was heading to Lafiel when Seelnay cut her off. Moving in front of Lafiel, Seelnay had her say.

“Learn as you go? You realize that was exactly what we did when we ventured off to rescue you and it damn near got all of us killed. You’ve got that look in your eyes, no one in this room is going to try to stop you, but heed my words Your Highness. I will not be a part of this folly neither will any of my crew. I wish you luck but I think you’re still not all here.”

Stepping back, she opened her creunoc, pressed a button and vanished. She had transported back to the Seelnay it would seem. Undaunted Lafiel continued with the conversation.

“So who is coming with us and who is staying? Jinto and I are leaving for the Complex in fifteen minutes. Those who wish to join us meet us outside and Sobbash, that crew you sent Greta and KO to get, have them come directly to the Complex as well.”

With that Lafiel and Jinto rose from their seats, grabbed one of the data tablets containing the operational manuals, and left the room. The others watched in silence as they left.

Greta, Kenesh and I had just left the council chambers and were heading back to our quarters when the emergency signal from the Seelnay was broadcast followed by an emergency transport. Poor Kenesh she was standing too close to me and took the trip as well. Arriving on the pad we found Seelnay, notably angered, standing at the console her first words were.

“Sorry Kenesh I brought you here, trying to sort you and KO out was taking too long. So I grabbed all three of you. If you wish I can send you back.”

Kenesh expressed that this was her first transport and the idea of a second so soon was not sitting well with her. It was my turn to lay into the boss.

“Look I know something has got you upset, but the Council has said repeatedly, there will be no transports out of the Village. Where we were when you pressed the button, a lot of people watched us vanish. Erin’s going to be ticked, of that I’m sure.”

Seelnay glared at me and continued.

“Thanks for the lecture KO but what is done is done. I’m surprised you haven’t ask why I brought you here in the first place? Wanna know, well do you?”

We looked at Seelnay with the ‘you’re going to tell us anyway so have at it’ look. There are times that old adage ‘be careful of what you wish for’ rears it head. After listening to Seelnay, Greta and I stood stunned; Kenesh asked if Seelnay could go into a little more detail. It would seem we understood Seelnay completely while Kenesh was a bit in the dark.

“Captain… Captain Lexshu, please respond.”

I had dozed off while reviewing the data, the call from the bridge, I need to answer it. Moving to my left I opened the link and.

“Sorry to disturb you but we’re picking up transmissions on some of the older tactical frequencies. They’re in a language our translator can’t figure out but by the sound of it they seem urgent.”

“On my way, go to battle stations inform Discovery as well.”

The chimes echoed through the ship as I made by way to the bridge. When the lift door opens I find confusion, it didn’t take me long to get it under control.

“Don’t try to understand what’s being said, computer isolate language and amplify the background.”

The computer took just about a minute to accomplish the task, what we then heard was.

“Captain, there is no doubt about it, that’s energy weapon fire of some kind.”

“Computer, analyze the data track presently playing.”

The computer took less time to determine the proprieties of the background noise; its findings were displayed on the tactical station. Plakia was already standing there when the results were arrived.

“This is not good we need to determine where those signals are coming from and how old they are. Dai have you been listening?”

“Yes we have exactly what have you got?”

“We’ve intercepted communications between, it looks like several sources, and there are weapon discharges in the background. We’ve trying right now to plot their position, how goes the repairs over there?”

“Arisa’s concocting a solution since we don’t have the facilities to do a normal restart. She’s planning on using a linguard mine's warhead to start a controlled infusion of the main reactor. If that works we’ll be able to start regeneration of the rest of the systems, if not well… either way, we still need another six to eight hours. Those mines don’t like being disassembled.”

A controlled explosion using a mine warhead, Discovery was that dead, the risk involved versus another fifty lives left Plakia feeling very uneasy it was then Communications piped up.

“We’ve got a partial translation of the transmission placing it on speakers.”

“Around the moon, bandits, hundreds of them, overwhelming the orbital station, attacking in force, send assistance fleet command.”

The only planets in the area were in the system they were heading for, but they were still out of scanning range. The link to Discovery was open and Plakia said.

“Sorry Dai looks like I’m dragging you into the middle of a war. I’ll give you more details later.”

To Be Continued in: The Grand Illusion.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."