53_The Grand Illusion

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

53_The Grand Illusion

Post by Diaho »

The Grand Illusion

Difficult decisions were right up my alley. However this time I stayed neutral, I had Jinto, I also needed a competent tactical officer, navigator and engineer. The crew from the Village contained none of these. I have to admit I was surprised with those who accompanied us to the Complex. For the moment Sobbash was holding down the fort by herself with help from Eliana. It would seem she and some of her crew arrived just as we were departing and Sobbash put them to work, some vacation eh?

My beloved and I had just untangled the secret of the main power system aboard this vessel and were about to start a reaction when there was a commotion outside the hanger. Instinctively I withdrew my laser and set it to stun. I never liked surprises unless I was the one committing the surprise. I notified security as well and then brought the door to the unlocked position. If they were trying to break in I’d give them an easy way to enter. The door opened I had the trigger partially pulled when, the discharge hit a pillar about two meters from Lafiel’s head. A voice from behind the Princess brought me to my senses.

“Paveryua is that how you greet your benefactors, with a laser shot to the head?”

Count Hyde was approaching me the look on his face told me I should expect trouble yet he moved to me and said.

“It’s our fault for not notifying you earlier, since you took a shot I’ll also assume security’s on it way here as well.”

I said they were and with that they entered the area weapons brandished. One look around and the situation calmed immediately. Lafiel then approached me and said.

“I’m glad your aim has gotten worse with age, had this been twenty years ago, I’d be lying stunned on the floor eh?”

I handed Lafiel my pistol and told her to gently squeeze the trigger. As it had done with me the weapon fired a little short of half its total travel. Securing the weapon she tossed it at one of the security guards and said.

“Give this to Lala, tell her it’s got a hair trigger on it and to either, keep it for her own use, or have it repaired. Either way I don’t want to see it again in its present state.”

With that security left the area and I reported our progress to Risch and Robert. They were overjoyed to say the least. What I wasn’t aware of, at the moment, is that Lafiel had taken command of this ship and was planning on departing as soon as the ship could be made operational. Had I known this I would have been a bit more conservative in my estimate of a reactor start up time. When Lafiel heard of our progress she had the ship moved topside to a test stand and said we were to accomplish the start up procedure at once.

“Defiance ships log Plakia Lexshu recording: an hour has passed since we picked up the first transmissions. There have been subsequence transmissions and now, for the last twenty minutes, silence. Is the battle over, who won and where was this taking place? Those questions aside for the moment our current status is this: This ship is operating at eighty percent of it maximum power output. Keeping a field around both ships and moving towards our destination is taking more power than engineering originally anticipated. Fuel is not a problem, even at these setting; we have enough fuel to last six weeks. It’s the systems themselves that are beginning to worry me. Although there has been no sign of stress we are stressing every system aboard this ship past any continuous usage design limit. If we lose power not only do we stand the chance of dying but Discovery is as good as dead. We’ve managed to determine the area that Discovery’s beacon is located. I’ve had the tactical and navigation officers supply their best estimate of our position, and I have beamed that information in the direction of the beacon. If nothing interferes with the beam it should reach the probe in about sixteen hours. If the probe is still operational it will transmit that information to Shahrazad. The problem is there are too many ‘ifs’ my uncertainty about many things is leaving me with a very uneasy feeling, a feeling I don’t want the crew to pick up on.”

The Seelnay was now berthed next to Independence. The boss, Greta, Kenesh and I have returned to the planet. We were given orders not to go with Lafiel and given the bosses present mood we were not about to disobey her. We split up, the boss heading for the Village to be at Dawn’s side, the rest of us, at Kenesh’s behest, were headed to the Island. Kenesh still had a ton of questions for Sobbash and she wasn’t leaving until she had some answers.

“First Princess personal log: A vacation on Shahrazad eh? Had I know it was going to be a ‘working’ vacation I’d had second thoughts about coming. We have arrived in the middle of a crisis, that we were already aware of, what we didn’t know is that Sobbash has had as close to a coup as this planet has ever seen. It would not be till much later that all of the details were released, but our timely arrival probably kept Shahrazad’s government from falling into chaos. I’ve always wondered about how they conducted their business. I was about to get the cram course along with most of my staff. We were about to learn how to run a planet Abh style.”

I don’t believe it, powering up a two century old ship was as simple as throwing a few switches and monitoring a dozen indicators. Yet the Grand Illusion sits running on its own internal power system. I’m beginning to have serious doubts about this being its first power up in two centuries. It’s acting like a ship that had been recently taken out of a short term mothballing. The computers are coming up to speed maybe they’ll shed some light on this ships recent history. The nice thing about liquid memory computers is that they record every time power is applied to them. Since they are a necessary part of the initial power up sequence they’ll be able to tell us when this ship was last operational.

Risch and Robert are in awe over the ship, I and my beloved on the other hand are impressed, but not awe struck to the point of ignoring certain facts. The first fact is this ship, like I said earlier, is not showing its age at all. Yet our scans show it to be two and a half centuries old that in itself is confusing and something I’d like answered before I’d go running off to deep space with it. But it would seem they’re hell bent on launching this ship and going off after their own. I’ll help but I’m not going, I have other duties to accomplish they are both in orbit around this world. They are my first priority and the reason we came here in the first place.

It’s shortly after sunrise on the Island and I find myself even more confused than before. My conversation with Targa, while long and detailed, has left me even more uncertain on how I’ve become ‘President’ of Doras overnight. I’ve made my way to the Governor’s office to find another surprise awaiting me. I find Admiral Bebaus conversing with the First Princess of Illyuisa, and several members of her staff occupying positions normally filled by Shahrazad officials. One wonders what has happened while we were sleeping. On top of everything else Sobbash is nowhere to be found. I move towards the Admiral and First Princess in the hopes of finding out some information to fill the void presently in my mind.

Sobbash had arrived at the Complex about twenty minutes ago. Since then, my mother, father, Scholar and Sobbash had been in a conversation. Robert stood at my side, we realized that it had been several hours since we had rested and took this chance to do just that, yet the expressions I could see on my mothers face.

“Lily I’m going with them, they’ll need my help. Have you decided on whether you’re going or not?”

Not taking my gaze from my mother I answered him.

“I probably should go just to keep you in line, but Robert we came close to losing Cassie and Dawn. The rest are missing and if they too be lost, should anything happen to us as well.”

I felt Robert’s hand take mine and then his lips gently kiss my cheek. We spoke no more words on the subject; I just kept observing my mother and wondered what was going on.

“Um boss we’ve got a little problem where are you presently?”

“I’m back aboard the ship, I left Dawn resting comfortably and brought Donald back with me. What’s the problem?”

“Sobbash has slipped off to the Complex. Kenesh is insisting we go with her and I know you’re tracking us. We’re going with her and wanted you to know that.”

We were on the far end of the Island near the transport that ran to the Complex. Seelnay told us to hold our position while she sent us a present. On the ground before us appeared two laser pistols, holsters and enough reserves to take on a small army. The next object that appeared was my marksman rifle and reserves for it. Once that had materialized Seelnay continued.

“If you’re going to the Complex you’re going with the ability to leave if you wish. While you know my feelings I also know the two of you quite well. But I also know Her Highness and Sobbash, being this well armed they’ll be hesitant of just shanghaiing you. You go, you go, and I’ll not be mad but understand what you’re getting into before you go. If it feels wrong stay here, let me know what you decide. And may the ‘Great Spirit’ watch over you.”

Greta and I picked up Seelnay’s gift and placed those items on our persons. Taking my rifle, I loaded it, and sighted in on a rock about three hundred meters off, with one shot it was gone. Kenesh was stunned she watched as we loaded and checked both pistols. It was then she said.

“I don’t believe this, those people are your friends and you intend on.”

I cut Kenesh off already knowing what her next words were and said.

“This won’t be the first time we’ve entered friendly confines armed to the teeth nor do I think it’ll be the last. Understand this Kenesh we have no plans on starting anything but if it arises we’ll finish something if necessary. Greta and I have only had to shoot our way out of one uncomfortable position and in that case we left several stunned but killed no one. The boss is giving us an option, an ‘ace’ up our sleeve, if necessary. As to whether we go with them or not that’s our decision but it’ll be our decision to make even if it’s at the end of an energy weapon. Okay Kenesh you ready to transport?”

Kenesh said she was and then Seelnay said.

“They’re all above ground, in the test stand to the west of the main entrance. I’ll drop you in behind the wall to the left of the ship. You’ll be out of visual range but If Scholar’s there she’ll sense your arrival. Good luck.”

“Seelnay, three to transport, ready when you are.”

Robert and I had moved to an area atop the blast wall and were getting ready to continue our observations while sitting, when Greta, KO and Kenesh appeared behind us. Greta and KO were well armed I went to say something and KO shushed me. They moved to the edge of the wall, made note of where everyone was positioned, it was then KO whispered.

“Scholar’s here I’m positive she knows we are as well but she’s made no moves either way. Lily, tell us quietly what is going on.”

Lily did one better and showed me a side of her I knew very little about. She extended her hand behind the wall. I took it in mine and realized like mother, like daughter, Lily had telepathic abilities. I believe she was more shocked when she realized I too possessed certain abilities, as well. Once finished I related to the other two what was going on. Greta was surprised that the ship was operating on its own power source. I have to admit that fact shocked me as well.

Lily and I were just getting settled when guest arrived behind us. Judging from Lily’s expression while she and KO shared a handshake there was more to them just dropping in than met the eye. While a quiet conversation went on behind us Lily took my hand and said.

“You know how I like surprises, especially when they come to me out of the blue. Well this time the surprise is more of a shock which maybe you know about or maybe you don’t.”

I was confused by Lily’s statement and told her so. She pulled me towards her and said quietly.

“Did you know KO’s one hundred percent Abh and telepathic to boot?”

I refrained from looking behind us knowing that we were now being watched by Jinto and Lafiel who had just exited the ship. So KO’s Abh, that’ll be something to investigate at a later time. Right now our guest were moving away from us and circling to the other side of the ship it would seem they’ll make their entrance from there.

“Personal log, Zachary recording: I’ve made my way back to the garden at the Residence. Listening to the Admiral and First Princess go on for almost an hour has given me a fairly good idea of what happened while we slept. Given what I heard and what I’ve seen I’ve made a decision to return to the ship. It will be safer in orbit about Shahrazad than being involved in the present drama occurring here. I believe Admiral Bebaus will be doing the same given the tone of his recent conversation with the First Princess. This by no means is an indication of my intention to leave without seeing Sobbash; it means that discretion is the better part of valor and right now being out of their hair and in orbit will be the best place for me.”

I’ve done it I’ve managed to convince Zachary and Admiral Bebaus to return to their ships and I didn’t have to use the might of my fleet to accomplish it. I had forgotten what one on one negations were like I’ll thank Sobbash later for the opportunity but right now I’ve got a bigger problem facing me. While Sobbash left enough information to ‘run’ this complex for the time she would be away I still feel very uneasy, if just one member of the normal staff would show up I’d feel a lot better. It was at that moment I felt the hair rise on the back of my head. I turned just in time to watch Seelnay finish the transport sequence and appear about two meters behind me. Moving towards her I said.

“Well you are a sight for sore eyes. I hope you can stay and help?”

Seelnay’s expression changed she held up her hands to stop my advance and said.

“Sobbash left you in charge but it looks like she failed to explain certain facts to you. If you’ll follow me we need to get to the command center at once.”

Seelnay rushed by me and I followed her. As we entered the center I knew that she was aware of something that had happened, but how? Moving to the center console she opened a link.

“Are you people asleep there? Where’s Sobbash? We got a big problem.”

“Calm down Lala its Seelnay. I saw your signal from orbit; it took me this long to get here and answer you. Now exactly what happened?”

“I’m still sorting it out on this end but the result is this, the Dorian’s bodyguards tried to overpower the detail assigned to feed them. I’ve got three of my people dead, two Dorian’s are dead, that woman is critically injured and on her way to the Village for treatment. The remaining members of her group, I’ve placed in restraints, isolated them, and put Zon guards at their doors they’ll be no more trouble. But Seelnay how this all happened, how those weapons suddenly appeared, I’m still at a loss; I was hoping Zachary was around. I need him look into the possibility we’ve got sympathizers on the surface. That’s the only thing that makes any senses at this time.”

“Lala one question, you didn’t send her directly to the Hospital did you?”

“Look Seelnay I may be a lot of things, but I’m not crazy. Saio is setting up a treatment center at the old reactor site and I’ve sent thirty of my best trained people to make sure that Saio remains safe. Also I’ve had words with Erin; the Council green lighted me pressing that old Zon militia group into service. They’ll be guarding the Hospital and all other necessary complexes in the Village. As far as I’m concerned, until proven wrong, I’m going under the assumption that we have hostiles on the Island and in the Village then act accordingly. I suggest you beef up security there and notify the powers to be ASAP.”

“I understand Lala you’ve done well I’ll be back with you shortly.”

Seelnay closed the link and asked the person seated at the console to move. Taking the seat she activated the Island general alarm and opened a scrambled link to the Complex. Atosuryua answered and was informed of what had transpired at the detention center. Seelnay told her in no uncertain words to put the Complex on alert as well. Closing the link she made a general announcement to everyone in the room.

“It is my understanding that you are the command group for the fleet is that correct?”

The answer was in the affirmative. It was then Seelnay asked each person their duty aboard the ship and assigned them to the appropriate position in the command room. Once that was accomplished she told them how the system works, and assigned them their duties. Turning back to the Princess she said.

“You wouldn’t happen to know where Zachary is. It would be nice if he could look into Lala’s hunch about us being infiltrated don’t you think?”

Eliana was out the door before Seelnay had finished. She knew Zachary was getting ready to leave and had to stop him. She also assumed she should inform him of what had happened to the former leader of Doras.

We were about to make our presence know to all when the general alarm sounded within the Complex. Holding our position we watched as Sobbash contacted Atosuryua it was then the first shots rang out. With those in the open diving for cover Greta and I searched for the source of the incoming fire, we found it. It was along the ridge to the east of the test stand. A well fortified area but our attackers hadn’t seen us; they were more concerned with keeping Sobbash’s party pinned down. I offered my pistol to Kenesh, she took it readily and we made our way to a position behind the attackers. We took the high ground about one hundred meters behind them and opened up on them without warning. As they scattered I saw Sobbash’s party move to the security of the test stands block house. I only hoped it was empty. From our vantage point we took down the attackers in short order. Greta and Kenesh ventured into the area, I kept high cover. As they signaled all clear I made my way to the block house to find everyone safe. Sobbash had been grazed by the first rounds but outside of that everyone else was alright. A few moments later Greta entered and made an announcement.

“We found the security detail dead about fifty meters from here. Seelnay has contacted us and told us of what happened at the detention center. Given its location and this location, it easy to assume there is a sizable force in the area. Now how much of it we’ve taken out that’s the question, I suggest we abandon this area and move to something more secure like.”

Lafiel cut me off with a vocal level that demanded attention.

“Sorry that’s not going to happen if you want to go back then go. But Jinto and I are going to leave here shortly. Those who wish to go with us say so. Those who don’t are free to leave. I’m not abandoning this ship, we are responsible for many things that have gone wrong and I plan on fixing as many of them as possible. So its decision time, those going got about fifteen minutes to decide, those not going, have all the time in the world to them.”

Lafiel left through the blast door those from the Village followed her, the rest of us moved outside. I opened a link to Lala and told her what had happened here. She was not pleased in the least; she said she was sending reinforcements to the Complex at once. We should expect them within the quarter hour if they were late we were to inform her at once. I closed the link and took a look around me. Risch, Noel and Sobbash were listening to what Robert and Lily were telling them I had a feeling from earlier that they were going but to see the look in Noel’s eyes told me that was their decision.

Paveryua and partner were at the ship in a discussion with Jinto and Lafiel. I couldn’t hear it but the look on Paveryua’s face was like a father trying desperately to convince his children to wait but it wasn’t working. Greta, Kenesh and I were off on our own, it was then I asked the question.

“What should we do?”

Greta informed me she was staying that she need not only to keep an eye on the boss but Paveryua was going to need assistance in the task ahead of him. Then she read mine and Kenesh’s mind by saying.

“Abh’s love space it’s your natural environment so staying here makes no sense whatsoever am I right?”

I have to admit she hit the nail squarely on the head and it settled nicely. Kenesh was as eager as I, but before we ventured off I had a question to ask Kenesh.

“You realize what you’re getting yourself into by doing this, don’t you Kenesh?”

Kenesh stood dumbfounded. She started out on the dangers involved but was missing the bigger picture it was then I brought my thoughts home.

“Kenesh if you step foot aboard that ship you’ll never be able to return to Lakfakalle again. Sobbash will not let you out of her sight if you know their secrets. That’s why we took you away the first time. But this time, if you’re in, you’re in all the way, in for life so to say.”

I have to admit my words had an affect on her but she had her mind made up. Living here I guess was not that bad of an idea? She told me she’d like to talk with Sobbash and confirm my words before we left. We left Greta and moved to where Sobbash was.

“Engineers log Chief Engineer Arisa recording: In all my years I’ve never seen a reactor system rendered as useless as this one is. If one was to compare it to a fire we’ve got all the fuel in the world but no spark and no simple way to generate said spark. I’ve dissembled a linguard reaction mine and plan on using part of its warhead to create the ‘spark’ needed. I’ve also cannibalized most of its self contained power cells to supplement the unit presently powering the reactor control computer. However the computer is unable of starting a reaction on its own so someone will have to manually open the fuel valves once the spark is stable. That spark will only last about fifteen seconds if we fail it’ll be another four hours till we can try the procedure again, if we don’t blow up first, a definite possibility given the volatility of the fuel and the uncertain nature of the spark.”

“Bridge, engineering we’re getting close down here. How soon till we’re in orbit abound that sun?”

“Defiance says another two hours. I’ll notify Plakia that we’re ready. Arisa be honest with me, what do you think our chances are?”

“Dai I’d be lying if I said any better than fifty-fifty, that’s why I want us in orbit and Defiance as far from us as possible. I’m still refining the settings; I guess I’ll be doing that until we actually try the restart. But with no ability to leave this ship if I goof well you might know for a split second.”

“Understood I’ll let you know when it’s time until then try to relax a bit.”

Ships log Plakia Lexshu recording: I’ve been catnapping on the bridge; this last awakening is of great importance. We are finally close enough to the system ahead to passively scan it and get accurate images. The first returns show a massive energy surge from the around the moons of the fifth planet. We still are not getting high resolution scans from that area and will not until we’re almost to the sun. Scanning the balance of the system it seems quiet, too quiet for my liking. Discovery has just informed me they stand ready to try a restart as soon as we place them in orbit. I questioned Dai as to the delay and she answered me that if something goes awry, she wanted us as far away as possible and sharing the same force field was too close for her liking.

“Captain I have a detailed scan of the sun. According to these readings we can place Discovery in a sixty million kilometer orbit at the suns equator. We’ll be able to equal the heating the engine is supplying now, we’ll still want to place them bow towards the sun as to keep the area constant. I’m sending the projected course to navigation and it’s on your number two display.”

The numbers looked good and this sun gives off more energy than we originally anticipated. We’re an hour from placing Discovery in orbit I’ll inform Dai of that now.

Kenesh and I just finish a conversation with Sobbash. It went as I expected it to. Sobbash holds Kenesh’s resignation from The Star Forces as a guarantee she’ll not wonder off unexpectedly. Kenesh in turn has given Sobbash the report she’s been holding as an incentive that Sobbash will keep her word. I can’t believe Kenesh tried to hold Sobbash at bay with that report, but after thumbing through it and realizing what it contained. Sobbash was interested in getting all the copies back. As we left Sobbash, I saw Robert and Lily leaving Risch and Noel. It was Noel that motioned to me to come to her side. As I stood there waiting for Lily to leave Noel told me the following.

“We’re staying, Scholar’s going, and looks like you and Kenesh are as well. KO, look out for those two will you. Please.”

I said I would and moved towards Greta. We called the boss and informed her of my decision and who else was going. Although understandably upset she understood my reasons for going and said.

“I’ll be happy when the rest of them return, I’m hip deep keeping newbie’s in line and it’s getting tiring.”

With that we bid Greta farewell and headed towards the ship. I noticed Paveryua leaving the ship; he said nothing, joined with his partner and returned to the Complex. I got the feeling he was putting as much distance between us and that ship as he could. Kenesh and I went aboard her first impression was.

“If this is two centuries old I’d really like to see the current design. This ship is fascinating.”

Noel, Risch, Sobbash and I started the long walk back to the transport that would take us back to the Island. Boarding the transport little was said and when we arrived at the Island I went one way towards the docks while the rest of them headed to the Residence via the gardens. Arriving at the docks I find Zachary and Eliana in a discussion at a level it’s difficult to ignore.

“Look Zachary all we want you to do is check with your people, to see if there is the slightest chance that there might be sympathizers on the Island or around the Village. That is where the skirmishes have occurred.”

With that I changed directions, approached them and said.

“Eliana you’ve got outdated information, we just rousted about thirty Dorian’s who tried to take out Sobbash’s party at the Complex. Check with Lala if you think I’m in error.”

Zachary took a long look at me then at Eliana and realized there was a possibility we might be right in our assumptions. He turned to me and said.

“You have proof they were Dorian’s?”

“The autopsies will confirm my hunch but most Dorian’s, when hit by laser fire, the area around the wound turns deep purple and oozes.”

“Enough Greta, you’ve made your point and rather graphically. You really had to kill them, there was no other option?”

I told him it was thirty vs. three and Sobbash was grazed in the initial attack.

“Zachary, had we tried to apprehend them Sobbash and most of her party would have been lost. In fact if we had hesitated a few moments, they were about to pepper the area it would have been a massacre.”

Zachary relented he said he was going back to his ship he would make the inquiry and let us know of his findings. It was then Eliana informed him of the condition of the former head of state, Zachary didn’t seem surprised in the least. He acknowledged Eliana and left. We watched as he left. I decided to accompany Eliana back to the Residence what I was planning on doing could wait I wanted to hear how Eliana’s report would be received.

Aboard the Grand Illusion we were getting a feel for how this ship would operate. Lily and Scholar were adapting the manuals we found to a language we could all understand. Jinto was in engineering assisting Robert with getting the ship operational from an engineering standpoint. Lafiel and Kenesh we going over the navigational, communications, and tactical systems, I got the feeling I would be handling tactical while Kenesh was going to navigate. Lily would double with Scholar on communications, the quasi science station and act as liaison between Lafiel and the rest of the crew. I’m not sure how much rest anyone has had, but I for one could use a few hours off my feet. I was about to ask when Robert came on the inter ship comm. and said.

“Ready to engage cloak, main engines answer ready, I believe we can try a hover in about ten minutes.”

Lafiel moved to the link opened it and said.

“Proceed with that plan if successful I’d like to try for orbit within the hour.”

Things were going faster than even I dreamed. Lafiel wanted to be in orbit with in the hour? She had this much faith in the ship or was it her dogged determination to retrieve our missing comrades? The boss’s words were ringing in my ears. Have I done the right thing, I think so but the pace we’re keeping is making an environment ripe for error.

“Ships log Dai Lexshu recording: Defiance has placed us in orbit about the sun. Arisa is a few moments from trying to light the reactor. We have a data link open to them. I guess it’s now or never.”

“Arisa we’re ready here proceed with the restart.”

Dai’s words were still echoing in the chamber I was standing in. On the other side of a bulkhead lay the heart of the reactor with the mines warhead sitting waiting for me to press the trigger. I pressed the remote and the mine started its delayed detonation. As the chamber temperature rose I started adding the fuel. I had to go slowly if I quenched the reaction we’d be hours before another one could be achieved. The chamber stabilized at thirty five percent of normal. I slowed the release to a trickle. If the chamber temperature continued to rise the reaction should be self sustaining past seventy percent. It was now a slow process letting the chamber temperature and pressure rise as I slowly added to the fuel stream. With luck this secondary reactor will be on line in another hour, and then I’ll use it to ignite the main reactor.

“Captain, we’re seeing an energy signature emanating from Discovery. I’m still unable to scan the ship with any detail although it seems the polarization is not as intense as before. I wonder if the radiation from the sun is having an effect on it.”

Plakia brought the ships close range scanners on line and made a scan of Discovery it confirmed the tactical scans reading, as she was about to make a second pass, the tactical officer spoke up once again.

“We’ve got company just on the edge of the system past the sixth planet. I don’t think they’ve seen us buried in the radiation of the sun as we are.”

“Keep an eye on them and if they start this direction call it out, Engineering status report.”

“Captain we are fully operational however if we could avoid combat for a couple of hours I’d feel a lot better about it.”

As she had feared getting Discovery here took more out of the ship than engineering was admitting to. Discovery’s energy readings were on the rise but it would be a few hours before they could defend themselves. Her first duty was to them. Instructing tactical to keep a sharp lookout from other ships appearing from anywhere, she tried to open a link to Dai, and it failed. The mix of solar radiation and their reactor coming on line was interfering with any voice links; it was even beginning to affect the data link as well.

The cloak and hover were successful in fact the ship was approximately five hundred meters above the test stand in a stable hover. Lafiel was on the bridge I was just getting back after a brief rest period. As I entered I picked up on the following conversation.

“We’re ready to try for orbit. I can see nothing that should prohibit us from doing so. Power readings are stable with your permission we’d like to try it now.”

“Proceed, Kenesh is the orbit plotted?”

“Fifty-five thousand meter orbit is programmed, the corridor is clear we can ascend at anytime, I’m awaiting your order.”

“Engage; let me know when we are free of the planet.”

There was little more than a slight tug at my bottom and we were off. The ship rose steadily to the prescribed orbit. Once there the plan was to check all systems, then plot a course to the last known location of our ships and leave Shahrazad. I took note; it had been twenty three hours since Discovery’s beacon had sounded. Almost a day had passed; I wondered if they were still alive?

Planet side we watched as the Grand Illusion rose to orbit, actually to be more specific we saw the coded transponder signal it emitted because as its name indicated it was completely invisible to any of our detection devices. If the signal was switched off we’d have no idea where they were, a scary thought given the number of ships in the area. The two major concentrations of ships were aware of the ‘restricted zone’ about Shahrazad and had positioned them selves well clear of the area. Paveryua and Risch were monitoring the data from the ship. Sobbash and Noel were on a real time link with the ship. The boss and I took a back seat watching, looking, for anything wrong. I have to admit Eliana’s people were well trained they readily adapted to the situation they were cast into.

“Discovery ships log Dai Lexshu recording: Success, Arisa has managed to coax a reactor back on line. We’re not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. I’ve ordered the crew to take a brief rest before we try igniting the main reactor. I know some of us have not slept in a day and running on adrenaline we’re starting to make small mistakes. I want to stop this before something small becomes something catastrophic. We’ve been very lucky up until now; I want our luck to continue.”

“Defiance ships log Plakia Lexshu recording: Discovery has a reactor running and is capable of sustaining life aboard with out assistance. To that end they’ve asked we move them to a less hostile position. The first planet of this system has a debris field orbiting it. I believe it to be the remnants of a moon that probably collided with an asteroid. It will give us cover from prying eyes and is still close enough to the sun if we had to move Discovery back the time involved would be minimal. Right now we’re adjusting our position so we can scan the area around the fifth planet yet still keep an eye on Discovery.”

“Captain, Discovery reports environmental systems stable and their particle deflector shield is operational.”

“Excellent. Tactical, start the detailed scan of the area in question, Navigation, update the star charts for this area. Communications how soon should that data hit the beacon?”

“If nothing has happened it should be triggering the beacon about now, although we won’t get conformation back from another day.”

I heard the part about conformation, that didn’t bother me, for if the signal was received and passed along we’d be seeing help long before then, I hope. What I wanted to know now was what happened across the system from where we were and if any hostile; and I’ll have to assume any ship at this moment is hostile, ships are approaching our position.

“Personal log, Lafiel Lynn recording: Three hours we’ve been in orbit. I didn’t want to be here this long yet the ship has yielded a few surprises that we were able to handle here rather than try to handle while underway. Most senior members are resting. Robert and Jinto have reported that the functional tests are complete and as soon as the computers update we should be ready to leave. I sense everyone out there is alright, I know it maybe wishful thinking, but at the moment it is what is keeping me going. I think I’ll relax for a bit as well.”

Finally it’s quiet around here. Sobbash and the senior staff have retired for the evening. It’s now the boss and I along with a few of Eliana’s crew. Lafiel is still in orbit the data coming from them has had both of us amazed. I don’t know exactly what this ship is but I can tell you what its not. It’s unlike anything either of us has seen before. If the engineering data we just received is correct, comparing it to our own data, this ship, although two centuries old, is at least one century ahead of our present development a fact Risch was making note of as he and Noel left just a few minutes ago.

KO’s been keeping us apprised of events as they have transpired how she can keep going on so little sleep. The communications panel goes berserk and we start to receive data from Discovery’s beacon. This data, they’re alive, I move to the link and Seelnay stops me.

“Greta let the rest of the transmission be received before we go waking the others. I’ll take responsibility for this trust me.”

I move my hand away and look about the room. It would seem that only Seelnay and I noticed the incoming transmission. Against my better judgment I sit watching the data stream arrive.

Lafiel is relaxing in the captain’s chair, I sit monitoring the ships systems when a flash on the communications link catches my attention. It would seem Discovery’s beacon has started transmitting data once again. The ship is already receiving the data and it is being displayed on my screen. I have to keep from making any sound as I read the message. They’re alive and there is an approximate location.

I plug the coordinates into the ships navigational system. With in a few moments a course line is plotted and ETA, at certain speeds, is being displayed. According to this if we left the system at max speed we’d be at their last known position in a little under five hours? How can that be, just what is the top speed of this ship? I inquired but the system refused to divulge that information.

The stream continued and the balance Plakia’s message to us was displayed. Discovery was badly damaged. In an attempt to save the ship and crew, they were towing them to a nearby sun. I kept reading the message and finally understood what Plakia was getting at. Given what I’ve seen I open a link planet side and the boss answers. I tell her I’m receiving data from the beacon and that most everyone here is resting. I ask for her opinion on waking everyone and leaving at once. Her response was not what I expected.

“KO until the complete data is received I strongly suggest you refrain from sharing any information. First off they need rest secondly your ship is sending some really strange data to us and until we have a chance to review it you’d be better off staying here.”

Weird data, I can see that, I tell Seelnay what the computers came up with when I punched in the coordinates to Plakia’s last know location. There was silence on the link, and then in my earpiece I heard Seelnay say.

“KO, investigate the possibility of manually overriding the ships systems. If you find no simple way to do so let me know at once and I’ll start waking people up on this end. I feel something’s not right but I have not been able to put my finger on it.”

The link closes and I start reviewing the systems aboard this ship with the possibility of disabling the main computers if necessary. It doesn’t take me very long to figure out that this ship is completely ‘autonomous’ it has several layers of redundant systems to cover the main systems. In my opinion once it has a mission it will complete it no matter what. I transmit my findings to Seelnay she says I’ll have an answer shortly. It is then I sense Lafiel coming to a level of consciousness where she’ll be waking shortly. I manage to get that information off to Seelnay before I close the link.

I had just drifted off to sleep when the link began to flash. Moving to the panel I activate it to find Seelnay on the other end her first words were enough to avoid her getting my wrath.

“Sorry Noel, we’re receiving information from Defiance, they’re alive, but Discovery’s in a bad way. Wake Risch and get over here.”

I closed the link and went to wake Risch, I found him sitting on the edge of the bed putting on his shoes I guess he’d heard what Seelnay had to say. Leaving our place we spot Sobbash about twenty meters ahead of us heading to the same destination as we are. We arrive it is then Seelnay sets out the past hour of communications between KO and herself. Sobbash and I review Defiance’s transmission while Risch studies the data received. I ask Seelnay if Lafiel is aware of this data. She stated that the last time she spoke with KO, Lafiel was still sleeping, but when she awoke, KO was going to give her a complete briefing. I looked at Sobbash then she and I both looked at Seelnay. Seelnay picked up on our thoughts without us saying a word. Moving to the console she opened a link to KO. The response was.

“And just how long were you going to let me sleep? You realize we’ve lost precious time while you sat on this information? If I didn’t need you I’d.”

“Well, you do need me and you do need someone to keep you from flying off half cocked. Face it and look deep into your being Lafiel, you’re still dead tired. Convince yourself as you will, you’re probably not good for more than a few hours. Now if you will listen to what I have to say I can avoid a lot of heartbreak, if you’ll listen.”

With that pause Sobbash entered the fray and brought some semblance of order to the conversation. Knowing that they were alive and that Defiance was assisting Discovery with repairs was enough for her to convince Lafiel to hold her position. That was until the last part of Plakia’s message was deciphered. Eliana’s chief of staff entered the room and handed Sobbash the transcript she read it and passed it to Seelnay, I read it over her shoulder. Sobbash then said.

“Change of plans, Lafiel, as soon as your crew is able I want you to proceed to Defiance’s last know location. I’m sending you an encrypted transcript of Plakia’s message, pay close attention to the final paragraph.”

The link went visual and we saw the bridge. Lafiel and KO were standing toe to toe, by the look on KO’s face she had been at it with Lafiel long before we interrupted them. It was then Risch made his way to the console and said.

“KO I’ve reviewed the information you sent Seelnay and I’m in agreement there is no easy way to take control of the ship should it decide to go haywire. When Robert and Lily are awake have them contact me and Lafiel, don’t leave orbit until I’ve had a chance to talk to them. An hour either way at this juncture is not going to.”

I handed Risch Plakia’s message and pointed to the part in question he read it, looked at me, and then rephrased his request.

“KO I hate for you to have to do this, but go get them now. I’ll brief them as you’re preparing to leave orbit.”

The link was put on standby as KO left the bridge it was then Risch looked at me and said.

“I know it’s too late for me to go, but if what Plakia said is even fifty percent correct. Besides the hostiles in the area if Discovery is that badly damaged. They’re going to need help and soon, hours ago would have been better. I wonder what polarized Discovery’s hull, no better than that, how to undo what was done. I’m glad Lily’s there, she’ll figure it out, I’m sure of that.”

KO arrived at Lily’s quarters. Lily, much like her mother, wasn’t easy to wake but KO managed without too much violence. Lily said she would wake Robert and meet her on the bridge. As KO made her way back to the main lift she heard quite the commotion coming for Robert’s quarters. It would seem that Lily was the easier of the two to rise from slumber unexpectedly, a fact she logged for later reference.

Defiance ships log Plakia Lexshu recording: Four groups numbering almost ninety ships are making their way through the system. While we’ve not been spotted it has caused me to halt any further attempts to let Discovery relight their main reactor. On the first effort the sun masked most of the energy expelled but not knowing the intent of those ships or their scanning abilities, we wait until they pass. I figure another four to six hours that is if they don’t find us first. This ship is fully operational, those critical circuits that were overheated earlier have recovered and engineering confirms we are battle ready if need be. Now on a personal note: When I get back I’m going to insist that all ships be equipped with a shuttle capable of evacuating the crew and any passengers. These transporters while marvelous feats of technology they have several fatal flaws and no redundancy. Give me a sound ship and a crew to steer it any day versus having your atoms splattered across the void.”

On the bridge a red faced Lily stares at the data sent from Defiance. Lafiel and Robert are in an involved conversation with Risch about the ships computers. Scholar, Kenesh, and I are at our posts awaiting orders. I understand Jinto’s making his way to the bridge, Lafiel decided one of us should get at least four hours sleep. Lucky guy, how I wish I could get even an hour’s rest but that will come later.

“Kenesh verify KO’s data input and put the projected course on the screen. Robert how soon can we have maximum speed from this ship?”

“I’d like to wait till we are in open space and clear of the transition routes before we go all out. Figure about forty minutes unless we take a less direct route.”

“Kenesh plot a course that we can use, avoiding shipping lanes, and put it on the main viewer.”

The direct line disappears from the screen it is replaced by a concentric circular course that will take us behind Shahrazad’s sun and put us in open space in the area about the Sord. It will save a half hours time. Lafiel takes a step forward and says.

“Lay in the course and execute it on my order. Robert how much longer before we can leave orbit?”

“Almost ready, I’m finishing up here and then heading to engineering.”

At that moment Jinto entered the bridge and said.

“So we’re leaving, I guess I’ll accompany Robert to engineering unless you think I’m needed here?”

“Go Jinto, the sooner you two get there the sooner we can leave.”

“Lafiel please remember once that ship leaves this system we have no way to retrieve you without involving those who need not know about it.”

“Sobbash you state the obvious, if I had the slightest inkling that this ship wasn’t going to perform as expected we’d not be leaving. On the other hand if what Defiance said is true, they’re the only operational ship and protecting Discovery, while not impossible, it would be easier if we were there.”

“I understand Lafiel you’re the only ship and the only salvation for those others. Just remember, I’d like you all back here and alive if possible.”

The link closed and Robert reported in from engineering. Lafiel made one look around the bridge and said.

“Time to go, Kenesh leave orbit, Robert once we are clear of the planet and on course push it to the limits, KO, Scholar, scan for anything out of the ordinary. We’ll maintain communications blackout except for the encoded data stream. The minute we locate Defiance we’ll head there. Are there any questions?”

There were none on the statement Lafiel had made but, Lily, out of the blue, said the following.

“Rendered all reaction systems inert and polarized the hull? What in the name of physics did they encounter and what if we encounter the same phenomena. I think we should be extra careful Lafiel.”

“Duly noted keep reviewing the data and by the time we get there maybe we’ll have and answer.”

“Lafiel we’re clear of the planet, course is set and we are stabilized, ready to accelerate at your command.”

“Engineering, release the hounds.”

“Aye Captain I’ll release them up slowly if you don’t mind.”

The main viewer turned a brilliant blue white and we were off.

We watch as they left orbit and as soon as they were established on course, their target rapidly started moving across the screen. Their acceleration was unreal, the speed that was being indicated mind boggling. I turned to Seelnay and commented it was Sobbash that replied.

“I’ve never seen such a sight as this in my life.”

“I have, nearly six decades ago on a merchant run in a remote sector. I scanned a ship with acceleration curve such as that. I thought I was seeing things then, but I know what I’m seeing now.”

To Be Continued in: I Didn’t Come Here to Start a War But if You Insist.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."