54_I Didn’t Come Here to Start a War But if You Insist

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

54_I Didn’t Come Here to Start a War But if You Insist

Post by Diaho »

I Didn’t Come Here to Start a War But if You Insist

Our acceleration was increasing, as we approached maximum the screen turned a bright white purple and the stars vanished. It was at that moment a second display appeared, which contained two readouts, both indicated that they were time pieces of some kind yet one was moving backwards from the other. I called Scholar to my side to translate the information displayed when she read it she said.

“I’ll be. We are in a stable three dimensional time bubble according to this information. The first readout is time to deacceleration. The second is a real time clock compensating for our transversing time. If I’m reading this correctly we are gaining time compared to, say, Shahrazad.”

Dumbfounded both Kenesh and I looked at Scholar; Lafiel was approaching my position from behind. It was then Scholar continued her explanation.

“It would seem that one hour on Shahrazad is only forty – two minutes for us and that number is getting less as we continue to accelerate. We have reached a point that time is accelerating for us compared to the ‘normal’ space time. I wonder if Shahrazad can even track us. I doubt it seriously. I’ll also bet the real time link has been severed because we’re no longer in real time as well.”

I checked and Scholar was correct the link was down and it went down the second the stars vanished.

“Interesting, KO see if the system will indicate our current speed if you will.”

Before the system refused to cooperate but now I had a reading which I did not understand. Scholar was there and looking over my shoulder it would seem she understood what was being displayed.

“I’ve heard of this and seen the theory but I never thought it possible yet we are doing it.”

Lafiel returned to her seat and stared at the blank viewer. She sat for a moment then said.

“Two dimensional space travel, via Sords, is random at best and haphazard if done incorrectly. So the difference in three dimensional space travel would be?”

Scholar moved to the center of the room and extended her arms out in a circle and continued.

“Consider this; the bubble we are presently in, is in normal space. With that said we are now folding the distance between us and the others at a fantastic rate. While Sords compress time and space, we are folding it, yet not suffering the dangers involved in plane space travel. If the power would drop the bubble would disperse and we’d be back in unfolded space. If the power were to fail in plane space the results would be catastrophic as you are well aware. Travel like this has been theory for centuries and now we’re doing it. Fantastic.”

The Grand Illusion was accelerating at a fantastic rate when suddenly it vanished from our scanners. There was a moment’s panic then Risch and Paveryua theorized what had just occurred.

“Remember our first experiments with this generation propulsion units? How the shuttle hit top speed and vanished momentarily from our scans until it began deacceleration? I believe that’s what has occurred here. They’ve left the fourth dimension and have transitioned to the fifth if that be true.”

The Abh in the room had just moved this conversation to a level I had trouble grasping. Seelnay on the other hand seemed to be in tune with what Risch was saying. I wasn’t and made my confusion known.

“One minute if you please. I thought there were only three dimensions now you’ve added two more to the conversation care to explain this to me?”

Risch moved to the main display and continued.

“Sorry Greta you’re thinking in a conventional world where the three dimensions are Width × Breadth × Height. Adding to that once we mastered plane space travel was another dimension, a special spacial dimension. Time in and of itself is also a dimension in this case I’m referring to it as the ‘fifth’ dimension. While they are not traveling in normal spacial time they are traveling in an acceleration of spacial time. The formula while complex simply states once a certain continuous speed is reached time becomes pliable. In plane space travel we manipulate this though the use of Sords. In this case they must be in a stable three dimensional bubble. Interesting, there was nothing concerning that in the manuals we found. I wonder what other surprises that ship has in store for them.”

Sobbash did not share Risch’s nonchalant explanation of what was occurring she wanted concrete proof they hadn’t vaporized before their eyes.

Sitting at the controls for the array he made several adjustments and said.

“Remember you once said it would be a great help if we could scan deep inside a Sord before entering it? And I said due to the nature of a Sord that would be impossible? Well if I’m correct and they’re in a stable three dimensional bubble, then being in space, and not spacial we should be able to ascertain the approximate line of travel, not their exact location but. Well watch and you’ll understand.”

Risch activated the array and the line that was their departure course became transparent. Shortly after that a few blotches appeared on the display all corresponding to the original course they left on but the distances between the blotches, it wasn’t possible. Risch took a look around the room and said.

“We are capable of travel at factor six. Theory says you have to exceed factor ten to fold time, given the distances between their energy spikes, that’s what those blotches are, it would seem they’re doing around factor eleven. I figure they’ll deaccelerate in about three and a half hours give or take, but, I’m also going to assume we’ll not have communications with them until well after they arrive.”

The discussion switched to events of a local flair, three and a half hours, I could use some sleep. I tell Seelnay if she wants me she knows where to find me. Leaving the command center I open a link to Donald and spend the first night in a long time in my own bed. Sleeping in micro gravity is great.

“Personal log: We’ve been aboard this ship nearly eight hours and yet it feels like I’ve been here for years. The timer indicates about an hour to our arrival. Some have slept including me. I know I should not feel so at ease but this ship seems to project a feeling of normalcy that I find hard to put into words. Kenesh, I’m still surprised she’s here, is getting acquainted with this ship better than anyone else. I’ve noticed that she and KO spent about a half hour going over the weapons control system. They seem to think when we get where we are going we’ll need to fight. I’m glad they are learning the systems yet I don’t share their optimism. I think we’ll find our comrades safe and sound, well I hope so. I open the command page and bring up the weapons panel; one can never be too complacent can one.”

“Captain they’re slowing it seems they might be leaving a group behind. I’m having a hard time picking out individual ships but there is a definite cluster moving away from the main group.”

Plakia was already viewing the tactical display what was being reported matched what she was seeing. A cluster of ships had altered course. Projecting their new course brought a bit of tension to her, they will pass with in a half light second of their position with in the next two hours. Now she had a decision to make, place Discovery in tow once again, and flee from them, or sit tight and hope they pass them without noticing them. She was considering sitting tight when.

“I’m detecting a broadband and powerful scan coming from the group. They’re looking for something and looking hard. Captain they’ll find us for sure.”

“Contact Discovery, Engineering, rig for towing, Navigator, plot a course away from here and place as many objects between us and them as you can. Bring us to battle stations first officer.”

Arisa, Ariel, and I had just finished a planning session. This waiting was not getting us anywhere. We now had limited power but we needed the mains back on line. It was then Defiance’s call came through, I could hear the battle alarm sounding.

“Dai listen I’m getting ready to tow you out of here. We’ve got ships heading our way ETA less than two hours and they are using intense scanning. The debris field will not hide us and I don’t know if they’re friend or foe.”

“Plakia I understand, but instead of towing us out of here I have another idea. We’ve been the last hour refining the restart procedure. What I suggest is that you cloak head out towards them and play decoy. By the time you become known to them and they move towards your position, we’ll be operational. Well we should be.”

“Dai I’m not leaving you not until I know you’re operational. It’s too risky, only one ship has to venture this way and you’re done for. Try again Dai, in my mind that plan’s not going to fly.”

“Fine you wanna stand guard? Then position us with the planet between us and them. Cloak and move to a position where you can draw them away from us, but Plakia, as soon as we’re in position Arisa’s punching the button. A half dead ship is not a fun place to be.”

“Agreed we’re moving you now and I’m leaving the link open.”

“Discovery’s in position and we’re moving away from them.”

“Arisa it’s now or never. Do it!”

From our vantage point we watched as Discovery’s nacelles started to glow. The energy readings were beginning to climb it was then tactical said.

“Detecting a change in their scanning pattern I believe they’ve took notice of Discovery’s start up. I have two, no three targets heading this way ETA forty minutes present speed.”

“Dai how soon, we’ve got company about thirty out three of them.”

“We can move in about twenty-five, have weapons five to ten later, depends. Arisa said start up went flawlessly. Keep me apprised of their position.”

“Tactical continuous readings, when in range lock weapons on the lead ship and stand by.”

We were in deacceleration when the stars reappeared it was at that time KO started seeing a familiar energy signature.

“Got one of them, Discovery’s about fifty light minutes to starboard, I’ve yet to scan Defiance, shifting to secondary scanners under the assumption they might be cloaked. Got them, they’re five hundred thousand kilometers astern of Discovery and Lafiel I’ve got three targets approaching them.”

“Kenesh, plot a course to put us in-between Discovery and Defiance, maintain communications blackout, and keep listening that’s all I want.”

“Lafiel shouldn’t we tell them we’re coming?”

“No, we listen and figure out what their position is, then we’ll go from there, time to intercept?”

“About eight minutes, Discovery’s emitting some pretty strange energy readings too.”

Lily made her way to the scanners, after one pass, she took a step back and exclaimed.

“A cold restart, no way, it’s not possible. Lafiel, Discovery’s completely helpless that’s why Defiance is positioned where they are to provide cover. It’ll be at least an hour before [/i]Discovery[/i] will be able to move.”

“Picking up local communications, it’s scrambled, putting it on speakers.”

“Dai, status report, our company has picked up the pace, they’ll be here in less than ten minutes.”

“Defiance, systems at twenty percent, we can move but not much more than that. Arisa says another forty minutes give or take.”

“Kenesh what is our E.T.A.?”

“Four minutes and I’m sensing weapon activation on the approaching ships. They’re shielded and locked on to Discovery.”

“KO what is Defiance’s status?”

“Shields at maximum, weapons locked on forward most ship.”

“Battle stations, bring all forward arrays on line, lock on to the other two ships and open a link to Defiance.”

“Arrays deployed, weapons locked, system answers ready Lafiel.”

“Ships log supplemental: Discovery’s still is not operational and now we’re being approached by three ships, in the past few minutes they’ve gone to a offensive posture and have increased speed. It is my assumption that they now have a fix on Discovery’s position.”

“Captain we’re being hailed from astern putting it on now.”

“The cavalry has arrived give me a status report.”

Lafiel’s voice echoed around the bridge yet I could not see nor sense their presence. I challenge her knowing if it is her she’ll know the proper response.

“Cavalry you say? What say you to this? Show me.”

“Cavalry you say? What say you to this? Show me.”

Mother’s challenge did not surprise me. I submitted the proper response and told her we lay between them and Discovery just slightly starboard of her stern and that I had the other two ships in my sights.

“Lafiel is that you? Just how did you manage to get here?”

“Later Dai how soon till you’re fully operational?”

“Fully operational, lets see, I’d say about a month, maybe two, with a vacation thrown for good measure?”

Arisa’s response brought a slight smile to my face, Lafiel took notice and said.

“Have you got shields, if so raise them, if not we’re moving to cover you. Defiance your call we wait till they open up or take them down right now?”

“Patience, they’ve stopped and are now stations keeping, just off my bow. Hold your fire for now, I’m instructing Dai to open a link and see what the response is.”

“Lafiel we’ve extended our shields around Discovery and they are sending a universal greeting right now.”

“Dai what is shielding us? These readings I’m getting down here, if correct, what ever it is has the two of us completely out classed.”

I listened to what Arisa said it was at that moment our transmission started. We never got to hello when the first salvo hit.

Discovery’s been hit but they’ve taken no damage.”

“Fine if that’s what they want, Lafiel de cloak, and let’s introduce our selves.”

“The moment, we’ve de cloaked; I’ll put a salvo across the lead ships bow and then target their energy signature. I’m getting really tired of this nonsense.”

“I’m a bit surprised; you always said I was the ‘blood thirsty’ one.”

“Yeah and where in the hell do you think you got it from. Open fire; let them know we are here.”

Defiance’s salvo across the bow brought return fire from the ship. Our shields held, the next salvo hit them amidships and collapsed their shields. The other two ships turned tail and tried to run that’s when we got our first glimpse of what Lafiel was commanding.

Defiance has disabled the lead ship; the others are leaving.”

“KO, stop them in their tracks, fire at will.”

“The forward array is locked and firing.”

The ship lurched and the dozen laser cannons opened up on the other two ships. Only one volley was required, we left them motionless in space their main power grid disrupted. Lafiel then approached the lead ship and through the universal translator made her position known.

“It matters not who we are, what matters is that you are still alive. If this is your normal custom, to arbitrarily attack any ship, without question, then you and I have a problem. I’ll give you a brief period of time to consider your response. Also, we are scanning your ships. Any attempt to restore your power system will result in your immediate destruction. I await your reply.”

Lafiel returned to her seat, as she passed, Kenesh and I both followed her with our eyes. Once seated Kenesh moved to me and said.

“That other voice if I didn’t know better I’d say.”

I gave Kenesh a look that said ‘not now’. It would seem she was not aware of the incident a few decades ago where Dai took a little trip in time. A conversation for a later time, right now I was picking up visitors and they were moving right along and right at us.

“Lafiel we have incoming, can’t tell specifics, but we’re grossly outnumbered. They’ll be here in half hour or so give or take.”

“That’s the balance of their fleet. I figured they were out of the system. I guess I was mistaken, the original number was ninety but as KO has said, we are now grossly out numbered.”

Lafiel pulled up the tactical display and studied it carefully. She then consulted with Lily and Robert. Once she was done she re opened the link to Discovery and inquired.

“Dai I need a status report.”

“Lafiel, mains are at forty percent. We have sub light and limited weapons. Shields and cloak are operational. Arisa is having problems with the star drive it’s refusing to initialize. She thinks it all power related but until we’re at one hundred percent and stable she’ll not try activation again.”

The first explosion caught us off guard by the time we realized what had happened the other two ships had self destructed as well.

“That was an unexpected answer; we need to get going before we have company where’s the other ship located?”

Defiance sent over the discrete code for the transponder they had left on the ship. I had a reading; it was about eight light hours off and still drifting at a decent speed. Catching it won’t be a problem except it is heading into a system with a lot of things it can crash into.

“Lafiel before we leave I need to examine the area around the fifth planet. I believe the answer to a lot of questions lie there.”

The plot showed that we’d be passing close to the orbit of the fifth planet and since Discovery will be moving slowly Lafiel let Defiance head in that direction with the understanding once she and Dai were close. The investigation would stop. Defiance cloaked and left at a pretty good clip. We took position behind Discovery and headed out of the system, slowly increasing the distance between us and our pursuers. It would take Plakia six minutes to get to the fifth planet we’d be there about an hour and a half later.

“Honestly mother I don’t know if we can save her. Her injuries, she’s refusing the regeneration. I’ve repaired as much damage as I can. The next twenty four, to thirty six hours, will tell the tale. Do you know if there are anymore uninvited visitors on this world?”

Sobbash has listened to Saio’s report. The former Dorian Empress may not survive the fortnight and those who came to Shahrazad to do who knows what. Did Greta and KO get them all, or are there more, hiding, waiting for the chance to wreak havoc once again? Nothing from Zachary, in fact there has been, nothing, at all, for the past few hours. Saio’s call was the first since Lafiel and company disappeared from the scanners. It was time to gather intelligence not for those who were away but for those who stayed behind and reside on this world. Reopening the link with Saio, Sobbash said.

“Your father always managed to keep me on course; I’ve just realized, once again, how much I really miss his presences. I’ll look into our uninvited guest; can you tell me how Cassie is?”

“Cassandra Lynn is in an induced coma while her brain heals. I can’t guarantee that’ll she’ll be the same Cassie. Honestly mother if we had gotten her right after the incident I’m still not sure if I could have done any better than I have. She’s being monitored closely; Mia, Jasmine, and Doctor Sasoum are rotating her observation. They’ll check in if something comes up. Now mother, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve been on my feet for quite awhile, I’m getting some rest.”

Sobbash took a good look at Saio even though the room was poorly lit she could see the exhaustion on her face and in her eyes. She bid her goodnight and closed the link, taking note of her present reflection in the display she commented further to herself.

“Saio looks like death warmed over and I just look like hell. Samson, I’m glad you’re not here because I can already hear your words in my mind and my darling, as soon as I get the chance, I’ll get some rest. But right now I’ve let too many things slip by unattended to.”

“Zachary, word of what has happened on Shahrazad has already reached Doras. It would seem there were those trying to gain the Empresses freedom but from what we’re getting here they all perished.”

“Don’t be fooled Targa if they all perished then who relayed the story and better yet how was the story passed to Doras? Keep digging I guarantee you there is more to this than meets the eye. As for me, I’m having the ships conduct an extensive search. I think we’ll find the source of the transfer of information and depending on who or whom is involved you might have a bigger problem brewing on your end. Bring the security forces to a stage two alert and Targa trust no one to be truthful. You get my meaning?”

“Zachary I understand completely my question to you is how much longer are you staying away. I know there were subjects of discussion with Shahrazad, but given what’s happened it might be best if you return home.”

“Targa conduct your investigation we’ll discuss my return later.”

The link ended Zachary then opened a link to Admiral Bebaus, not to his surprise the Admiral knew as much as he did about the current situation on the planet. His request was a simple one.

“Admiral when you find the time, would you investigate the possibility of a single vessel getting past our formation. If you come up with something let me know at once.”

“Zachary I’ll check Sord activity I’ll assume you’ll check with the platform. Just what are we looking for?”

“A small scout ship or transport capable of bringing, say one hundred or so to this world. I’ll be surprised if the ship would carry Dorian registry but you never know, mercenaries never think things through completely.”

Admiral Bebaus vanished from his screen then a second link, a very secure one, appeared. Zachary opened it and the Admiral continued.

“Zachary I’ll be honest with you. I doubt seriously an unauthorized ship entered or exited Shahrazad’s atmosphere. My guess is, take a head count with in your fleet. I think your going to be a few people per ship short. I’ll bet the number equals the number that lie in the Shahrazad morgue.”

Zachary closed the link and took a population survey. It showed there were thirty five members of the fleet on ‘shore leave’, a shore leave authorized by the commander of the fleet not Zachary. Establishing a secure link with Doras, Zachary requested Targa do a complete background on this individual and the command staff aboard their ship. Targa informed he’d know with in the hour of his findings.

With that he contacted Shahrazad, Seelnay answered and he informed her of his suspicions. Then he requested they do a discreet search for those who should be on shore leave. As soon as he could access the information he’d supply them with identifications of those who were on planet. He then asked the current deceased count. Seelnay informed him it was thirty one. He informed her there were thirty five supposedly ashore, and she should be on the look out for a splinter group. Seelnay acknowledged the warning and the link closed.

“Captain, Debris field is ten thousand kilometers off our bow. We’re scanning it now.”

Defiance had approached the area slowly and the residual signs of quite a battle remained. Their mission was to gather all the possible information and then meet Lafiel as they passed the area. Plakia knew deep in her being there were answers here if they just has the time to find them.

“We’re picking up faint life signs, location port fifty, azimuth two hundred and six thousand meters distant. The object resembles an early escape pod.”

“Move towards the object, will it fit in our cargo bay?”

“Scan shows it might be a tight fit if not we could beam the occupants over.”

“That’s not an option either we recover the pod or we leave them. Not knowing what is aboard, what they need for an environment, just popping them here is not a grand idea. In the bay we can surround them in a force field then investigate from there.”

“We’re close enough I can give you a visual and I’m starting to get a detailed interior scan.”

The image of a badly damaged vessel appeared on the screen. It showed signs of energy weapon hits and it also looked like something was leaking from it. Seeing this Plakia said.

“Hold your position, raise shields, and give me a detailed look in that vessel.”

The moment their shields raised, an energy build up from within the craft was detected. Seeing this Plakia ordered battle stations and an immediate withdrawal. The explosion that followed shook the ship.

“Captain I got a detailed view before it exploded, it was a decoy. There was one badly injured being aboard and the rest of the craft was, for lack of a better description, I’d say it was a powered mine. I assume that was propellant leaking from it that’s why it didn’t come at us but there are probably more in the field. Should we proceed or.”

Powered decoy mines, attacks without provocation, this battle field in and of itself. Plakia had seen similar occurrences before; they reeked of United Mankind tactics, yet this far from the other galaxy, could this be the direct result of.

“Thoroughly scan the entire area, tactical anything that resembles a powered mine, life signs or not, take it out. The rest of you record every scrap of data we can. I have a feeling our presence here will be a short one.”

Twelve more mines were disabled and the area was exposed to intense scanning as the next to last pass was started an intact ship was detected, as Defiance moved towards that ship.

“It’s powering up and beginning to move away from us. In this debris field I don’t think we can catch it, orders Captain?”

Plakia was already on it there was too much debris between them to make a lunge and hope to intercept. It was then the ship made a radical change in course towards the fifth planet. Not knowing what was there, Defiance started a withdrawal.

“Back us out of here, get us to clear space, track that ship and be on the look out for others. I have a feeling that was a scout vessel but who are they reporting to?”

“Ships log supplemental: We were about thirty minutes ahead of our pursuers. It would seem they’ve matched our speed and sit just at the edge of scanning range, or so they think. Robert and Lily had been in a detailed conversation with Arisa concerning what befell Discovery. The ship is slowly returning to normal yet the readings from the star drive unit are completely baffling. Arisa’s inability to accomplish a restart coupled with the limited readings during their forced trip; lead Robert to assume that somehow the entire molecular structure of the drive had been altered. If that be true an attempted restart, might not be wise until all ramifications are completely understood.”

“Arisa it’s our opinion that what ever polarized the hull has somehow altered the star drive unit. Until we understand more a restart is not recommended at this time.”

“Well isn’t that just lovely. You think we might blow up if I press the button again? Okay considering what we’re seeing here you might be on to something. But how do we correct it and how long will it take. At our present maximum speed we’re a few years from home, I for one don’t want to experience that ride if you get my meaning.”

“Seven years, forty - seven and a half days to be exact.”

“Thanks KO you’re a real promising ray of light there. My only consolation is that you’ll be with us escorting us back so.”

KO quietly returned to her scan it was then the link from Defiance became active.

“Alter course at once, swing wide of the fifth planet at least two light hours at minimum. I believe the fifth planet is a base and if so we might be running head long into a trap. Leaving the area will rendezvous with you at thirty two – one thirty – six hundred in ten minutes unless we are followed then I’ll make a direct line to you. How’s Discovery?”

“We’re still broke and it looks like we’re going to be this way for awhile so I hope you’re wrong very wrong.”

Arisa voice was still echoing on the bridge when tactical chimed in.

“I’m getting some really strange energy readings from the planet and objects in orbit around the planet. I don’t know why we didn’t see them earlier?”

I did, they were waiting for us to find them and follow that ship to them. But we did the opposite, or had we?

“Raise shields. Engineering, go to maximum sub light. Battle stations; notify the fleet this area just went hot.”

I no more got the words from my lips when the ship was struck, we took damage but had I not said what I had we would be dust. The planetary array had opened up on us and we had avoided the worse of it yet I wondered what its range was.

“Tactical estimate that array’s maximum range; communications open a link to the fleet.”

“Bridge, engineering, that blast took the star drive off line one more like that and we could be dead in space.”

“Lafiel we got trouble, Defiance has taken damage and those behind us have increased speed markedly estimate they’re twenty minutes out.

KO’s outburst coupled with the sounds of explosions aboard Defiance brought Lafiel to her feet. In an instant she had made a fateful decision, her orders were initially met with silence.

“Target the planetary array and open fire.”

According to everything I had read the planet and its array were at the edge of the main battery’s effective range. I wondered what Lafiel was thinking yet I had the array targeted and we fired.

“KO, Time to impact?”

“Approximately twenty five seconds. The beam is dropping in intensity.”

“That’s fine, what are our pursuers doing?”

“They’re slowing almost coming to a stop.”

Defiance, Discovery, We’ll hold those behind us I want you to proceed at best speed to.”

Lafiel placed the position of the other starship our ship and those two on the star chart. Making some quick computations she continued.

“Sector sixty, one twenty seven. Six thirty five, two hundred and await our return. You two have the ability to cloak correct?”

Before they could answer I interrupted Lafiel.

“Impact in six, five, four, three, two and one.”

The display glowed a brilliant whitish blue as our discharge interacted with the devices orbiting the planet, all orbital energy reading ceased it was then Lafiel said.

“Come about one hundred eighty degrees and target those approaching us.”

As we came about our pursuers started to alter course away from our position and towards the planet. Lafiel took note and said.

Defiance, Discovery, this is your chance proceed to the rendezvous point. We’ll be back shortly. Kenesh plot a course to the other starship, engineering I want everything we’ve got. KO ETA to the other ship.”

“About fifty six minutes at factor seven, I figure if we go any faster I’m afraid we’ll overshoot it.”

“Understood, continue monitoring the other two ships, once they are clear of the area, fire a blast in the general direction of our pursuers to blind them and execute the course.”

“Defiance ships log: Lafiel’s rendezvous point is in the shadow of a gas giant. Dust and gases trapped in it gravitational field make it and excellent place to hide. Engineering reports the star drive is operational. Discovery reports it’s as operational as it’ll be. Their transporters are still off line along with their star drive unit. We can scan parts of the ship that were inaccessible before yet the mystery of what transformed their ship still remains unsolved. Lafiel laid down quite an impressive barrage as she departed. We’re tracking their progress as they are keeping tabs on us as well. I’m still confused as to the logic behind Lafiel’s sudden interest in retrieving that ship but.”

“Captain all scans show clear, time to rendezvous point about thirty minutes Discovery reports they are as stable as one can expect although the internal ship conversation between Dai, Ariel and Arisa makes for interesting listening.

“OH? Is that so? Pipe it to my station.”

Plakia adjusted her earpiece as the conversation came on line.

“Dai what is Lafiel thinking? She saw what that ship did to this one and yet she’s in hot pursuit of it with no regard.

“Arisa you’re over thinking the subject, after we sent her the data we had remember what Robert said?

“I think we’re missing a piece of information, remember Captain, Arisa, Robert said that we were just different enough that we. What were the words he used?”

“Ariel, he said we confused the other ship, but why, if confused, did it.”

“That’s it, I’m so dense, Ariel, Arisa it thought we were the ship Lafiel has, but why was there the reaction and what will happen when Lafiel intercepts it?”

The link grew quiet as the senior staff aboard Discovery tried to make sense of what was occurring. Plakia disconnected from the link and opened up a display. She started asking the computer to hypothesize several scenarios. While the computer was processing the data she brought up the real time scan of the area and placed Lafiel’s ship upon it. It would seem Lafiel was making better progress than expected. By what she saw they were about ten minutes from the other ship and slowing. She tried to consider what Lafiel was wondering into, it left her puzzled.

“Kenesh slow to sub light, and hold position at three hundred thousand kilometers.”

“Slowing, two minutes to station keeping”

“Lafiel we’re being scanned should I call battle stations?”

“KO take no action, Jinto we’re almost there what readings do you have?”

“As you predicted no provocative action is being taken. I have noticed a marked increase in output from the standby reactors. If your theory is correct I figure we have about forty five seconds till contact.”

At my station a console came to life on its own. At that moment we projected a beam of sufficient power to destroy a normal starship. It was absorbed by the ship before us and then.

“Lafiel we are being hailed putting it on speakers.”

“Illusion, Orion here awaiting your orders mistress.”

To Be Continued In: An Ancient Power Revealed.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."