57_Home Sweet Home

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

57_Home Sweet Home

Post by Diaho »

Home Sweet Home

The Ku Dorin was on the return leg of a long and mostly profitable trip. Captain Dorin had just relieved the watch officer when the communication from Shahrazad arrived.

“Captain priority one message from Shahrazad, fleet commander Atosuryua for you, delay of thirty seconds displaying now.”

The main viewer became active, the scene was not the normal one, instead of her office, she was broadcasting from space dock and her message.

“Plakia, a complete descriptive is attached to this communication but to be brief. We’re in a bit of tight spot here I really hate to do this but I need to turn you around as soon as possible. I realize you’ve been out three weeks but read the descriptive and we’ll-”

“Atosuryua with all due respect there is no way you can return this ship to duty immediately. I’m hoping you’ve read the report I sent two days ago stating our present condition-”

“Read the descriptive Plakia it’s not the ship but you I’m turning around. Although this is a secure channel this discussion ends now. I’ll see you in my office in five hours.”

The display dimmed Plakia Pratt opened the descriptive attached and read it. Leaning forward she activated the link to engineering and said.

“Chief I need every once of speed you can muster, push things to the limit and if necessary, beyond.”

“Aye Captain the engines are one thing that can be pushed but I’ll remind you steer an obstacle free course, shields and deflectors are not operating at peak. We don’t want to put any more dents in the ship than we have already.”

“Understood chief, helmsman engines to maximum, navigation scan for debris, open a ship wide link.”

The Ku Dorin started making the sounds associated with structure being pushed to the limits. On the bridge a bit of confusion was going on. They were six hours out; this maneuver would only shave an hour maybe two off the time. What was so important that-?

“Captain to crew, I’m sure by now you’ve noticed our increase in speed I’ve just received orders to make port as soon as possible. Also once at space dock, there will be a delay before you can go planet side while we offload our cargo. That is all.”

The link closed, the first officer who was manning the comm. system offered an opinion.

“Captain that was pretty vague I think you’re withholding something from us and-”

“Stop there, I’ll be blunt but this conversation does not leave the bridge. Effective upon arrival you’ll take command of the ship, offload it and make for a secure base. While that is happening I’ll be taking temporary command of the starship Independence. I should also say that we will be intercepted by Princess Eliana’s fleet they are guarding the system. Let’s say a lot has happened in the three weeks we were away and let it go at that. You’ll receive a full briefing at the space dock. Return to your duties.”

Plakia Pratt returned to the center seat opened the tablet and went over the descriptive once again. Although this ship was a civilian merchant vessel all officers were trained at the same place. She felt rusty, if subjected to combat could she perform? She shook off the feeling and read… Cassie in a coma, Dawn and Donald on the mend, the balance of the fleet is off somewhere not expected to return in time and Independence just out of one heck of a patch up job which she was to command. She wonders what had happened and dismissed it as fast as she had thought it. She had her orders and she’ll carry them out… yet.

“Commander to the bridge!”

A half asleep figure struggled to rise, slipped on enough clothing to be presentable, and made their way to the bridge. The door opened to a flurry of activity.

“Energy readings are off the scale, yet, I scan no other vessels, however, something was here I’d stake my life on it.”

Leaning over the tactical officer’s shoulder the commander looked at the display and commented.

“Hopefully your life is worth a little more than this reading, send a scout to the other end of the corridor and is the field covering the intersection intact?”

“Field shows no sign of being disturbed; the scout will take about an hour to arrive at the other end. Your orders commander?”

“I’m returning to my cabin come get me when you’ve heard from the scout vessel and be considerate when you do arrive at my cabin or your life could be forfeited.”

The tactical officer breathed a sigh as the commander left the bridge. Yet he was also aware he would be the one to wake a sleeping bear. The thought gave him goose bumps.

We have just finished a major tactical session although twenty-five hours out I think we’ve covered every possible scenario. Lafiel left the bridge enroute to engineering the amount of hours she’s been awake are beginning to take their toll on her as well as the rest of us. Orion is still in stand by mode as Arisa finishes the final synchronization with the ship. She figures another two hours maybe less. I’m the only one currently awake on the bridge Scholar and Kenesh are napping at their positions. Lily has slept the most of us I figure she’ll come to the bridge and monitor systems while I rest. Arisa, the most rested of us all, is running the ship from engineering. Having sent Jinto and Robert to rest over a concerted objection from both of them. I didn’t notice if she was armed when she came aboard that would be the only persuading those two would understand. Lafiel has just reported she’s off to her cabin after a brief discussion with Arisa.

I have, for a bit now, felt a presence aboard this ship at first I though I was imagining it due to lack of rest but now that I have the time to search my feelings I know that, someone, a fleeting presence is here.

From the bridge of the ship that bears her name Seelnay stares at the space dock. Independence is now clearly visible after the last of the structure scaffolding was removed. A week ago the ship showed little sign of work being done yet-.

“Pretty awesome sight isn’t it, mother?”

Donald’s voice echoed up from the observation deck it was he who had transported her aboard under the pretense of a ‘family talk’ however at this moment one family member was missing. That problem was to shortly rectify itself. The transporter activated and standing beside her was Dawn in full dress uniform.

“I’m sorry I’m late but the orientation meeting took longer than expected I-”

“You’re going to be on that ship in what capacity, hopefully not Captain because you’re not ready daughter-”

“Doesn’t matter if one is ready or not mother, I took an oath, and I obey orders to the best of my ability. But to calm your fears I’m not commanding the ship. The Captain will be here shortly that’s all I know. Donald get up here I have your orders as well.”

Donald entered the bridge from the observation room to find his mother and sister standing only a foot apart. He could see his sisters face plainly. What he saw was not encouraging it looked like they were going to ‘have at it’ something he didn’t want nor need to happen. Stepping in-between them and separating them he said.

“I’ve felt you would act this way mother that’s why I had you come here so the scene would be kept private. Please understand this; we serve because we wish to, not for any other reason than that. There will come a time when our service will end and we both plan on being quite alive when that happens.”

Seelnay clenched her fists tightly, and for half a second, Donald thought she was going to lash out at them. In the next moment her hands and general demeanor relaxed. She took in a deep breath let it out slowly and said.

“Remembering how your father was taken from me, a father neither of you ever knew, it is very hard for me to let you two venture off into the unknown. The ‘great dangerous’ unknown and not show any feelings. I won’t stop you I never have but after the recent incident I can not remain silent either, so. I want you two to be extremely careful, while I trust Paveryua’s abilities, that ship was-”

“Was a floating disaster area? In a sense you’re correct mother, yet both of us have been aboard and the transformation defies description. Would it set your mind at ease if you saw it for your self?”

For the second time in as many days Seelnay felt indecisive, a feeling she despised, coming to a hurried decision she said.

“Donald you’d only invite me aboard knowing I’d be satisfied with what you’ll show me. I’ll go aboard but I’m taking a ‘private’ tour unless you have an objection?”

The transport over occurred without incident and Seelnay proceeded on her ‘self’ guided tour, once out of sight Dawn said.

“Pretty tricky little brother, you knew she’d do this and it’s exactly what you wanted.”

Activating the display he watched her progress on the internal sensors and commented.

“Sis you and I both respect our mother, while agreeing with her at times is quite difficult. She’s never steered us in a bad direction, given all of that letting her look on her own was our only hope for ‘peace’ in the family. I wish I could see the expression on her face when she reaches engineering. That visit alone should convince her how ‘worthy’ this ship is.”

“And Sobbash, one final thing, Seelnay is roaming the ship giving it an inspection of her own. I figure I’d let her see ‘everything’ unless you have any objections.”

Sobbash sat quietly considering what Paveryua had said. Myself, I had just entered the room so I was unaware of the main part of their conversation yet as I was about to say something she opened the link and said.

“She has clearance to see the ship in its entirety. Explain anything to her that she desires and when you’re done report back to me. Independence’s captain will be arriving shortly let me know when they are aboard, Sobbash out.”

The link went silent and Sobbash looked in my direction, I made the mistake of second guessing her and said.

“I’ll assume the reason you called me here are to give me my orders. How soon should I report to the ship?”

I’m stone faced I’ll admit it but this time Sobbash out did me, she made a move to her right and handed me a tablet the information it contained was-.

“You’re correct in one part of your statement I’m giving you orders but they are not to command the Independence. I want you to take charge of the balance of the planetary defense system. You and Samson built it; you know it better than anyone here. I need it to be flawless Noel, too many lives depend on it functioning as designed, as to the Captain, I’ll tell you, but until its official it can’t leave this room. Plakia Pratt will assume command; Dawn and Donald will be aboard. I can sense the objection welling inside you, but as a mobile weapons platform, she’ll do well. Now if you have any questions about your assignment I’ll answer them.”

That look told me she wasn’t going to listen to anything I had to say unless it concerned the orders I was given. And yet I was in agreement with her decision but I’ll let her think as she wishes. I take the tablet and extend my regards as I leave the room. Once outside I took a moment to think about it, I have made the right decision. At this moment Sobbash is on the verge of a major overload and we need her functional. I make my way to the Center for Planetary Defense and check the system, it is functioning as designed. I take a seat at the console and wait.

“All back emergency, shields to maximum, contact the fleet tell them what we’ve found.”

“The interference is too great; I can’t raise the fleet we need to steer clear of this disturbance.”

The scout vessel had just encountered what was the left over effect from Plakia’s trap. It would seem the bottom of the disturbance was just at the event horizon and it was trying to pull them into it. After a few minutes of struggle they broke free, several minutes later they had cleared the interference and were able to report back. Needless to say the report was not well received aboard the flagship.

The commander was soundly sleeping when the communication device activated. Ignoring it at first then reluctantly activating it the message from the scout was displayed. Although exhausted the commander dressed and headed to the bridge.

“Engineering log Arisa recording: final tests are complete its time to integrate Orion back to the ship. Lyra and Leo are in standby mode. I’m about to notify the bridge lets hope this all goes as planned.”

“Bridge, engineering.”

“Arisa, Lily here I guess you’re ready?”

“Yeah pretty much who else is there with you?”

“Kenesh and Scholar are out, they not made a move since I arrived, KO on the other hand-”

“I’m awake Arisa, what’s the plan?”

“First off, before I get started; your ghost maybe real, however I don’t quite know what it is. I suggest once we get the three of them up and running we have them look for it. If you guys are ready I’m ready down here.”

“Scholar, Kenesh, up and at ‘em, its time to get going.”

KO’s voice echoed throughout the bridge. Scholar was first to rise. Kenesh took a little prompting, once there KO informed Arisa they were ready.

“Here’s the plan: Leo and Lyra first and I’ll have them monitor Orion’s switch over.”

“Leo is online your orders?”

“Monitor Lyra and Orion then if startup was acceptable combine systems.”

“Understood; monitoring and standing by.”

Lyra came on line with out incident Orion did the same, once they were stable Leo allowed the combination it was at that moment a forth voice was heard.

“Princess, Princess Lafiel, please respond.”

There was no doubt; everyone that heard that voice, except Kenesh, knew who it was. But why was she, no how did she, Arisa said matter of fact.

“Someone get Lafiel and get her down here. I still have control of the ship but that may change at a moments notice.”

‘Closed off the Sord, unable to contact anyone on the other side, whom, no who, has that technology? This reeks of that Abh Princess but where the hell is she? Right now, I’ve got to clear my head and get going, that’s what I need to do.’

“Make for Shahrazad maximum speed, once there exit the Sord and destroy everything in sight is that understood?”

“Commander, what about President Zachary?”

“Should he live, we’ll take him into custody, should he die, oh well, a casualty of battle.”

The force field lifted and the ships entered the direct route to Shahrazad, estimated time enroute twelve point five hours. They had wasted enough time as far as the commander was concerned.

Scholar woke Lafiel, informed her of what had transpired, and went with her to engineering. Entering the room an image of Tay was being projected, at this moment the image was frozen. Upon on seeing Lafiel, Arisa said.

“It’s a holoprojection; a message, not interactive, according to the program if you address her as you always have the message will play.”

Lafiel looked around the room she concentrated on the image generator and said.

“Well Tay I’m here; what have you got to say for yourself?”

The hologram activated and said.

“You’ve done well, exceeded my expectations, I guess by now you realize I’ve been guiding you to this day. This ship is one of six and as far as our science knows it is the last of its kind. Since you have possession of it I’ll assume you’ve destroyed the rouge test unit. I’ll also guess by now you’ve figured out the last ship you built is a mirror of this with a few exceptions. I’m hoping that in the future you will learn all the secrets this ship has and incorporate them into you next generation of warships.”

The recording paused and a low intensity scan made a pass over Lafiel. Once that was complete the image changed and continued to speak.

“You are with child, I’m happy you are and that child is very special. When you return home access your holodevice it will give you further details about the ‘son’ you are carrying. For now I release all holds I have on this ship, it is yours, safe guard it with your life and it will return you home safely every time. Farewell Princess till we meet again.”

The image froze then disappeared before a word could be said Orion came to life and said.

“This is not possible, we are ninety plus light years from where we were supposed to be and this speed, why aren’t we going any faster? What. What have I done, this can’t be possible?”

Abh AI’s are advanced; this unit makes them look like hand held communicators. To hear an artificial life form questioning its own actions, I wonder just how human these ships are. More than that who, or whom, created them because I can guarantee it was not Tay’s people that’s for sure.

Lafiel and Scholar have been staring at the spot once occupied by Tay’s hologram. I was about to say something when-.

Orion, plot a course home, where you can use the maximum speed of this ship, display here and the bridge as well.”

It took seconds for the course to appear, it took us out of this system, across the void between systems and deposited us about eight hours from Shahrazad on the wrong side of the system. Lafiel was about to question the course when Orion said.

“It will be another eighty minutes before we reach this point, from there we’ll jump to this point and then, if you wish, we can either enter the, Sord, yes Sord, or proceed directly to this point and lie in ambush figuring our opponents will exit from here.”

As an engineer I understand a multi - dimensional universe yet this galaxy hopping Orion had just posted left me confused I was about to ask when KO cut in.

“I understanding the jump, I’m to assume you’ll be covering vast distances in a short period of time?”

The display highlighted a section of the course it was a little over forty - five light years, it was then Orion projected the time to cover that distance.

“Eight minutes! That’s not possible, it takes that long to bring the systems on line and accelerate to-”

“You’ll be the first, in several hundred years, to experience a Trans Warp jump. That is the reason for the wait and subtle course change. In, now seventy minutes, we’ll be entering a void area of the universe an area where Trans Warp will cause no repercussions I suggest you ready yourselves because after that we’ll be about ten hours from point, I should label this intersection your suggestions?”

I looked at the flashing dot on the star chart; Lafiel and Scholar were tracing the route with their fingers when from the bridge KO said one word.

“Hope.”

Point Hope it was and we were going to arrive home just in time… We hoped.

It’s been an hour and my inspection has, for the most part, left me impressed. I’m about to enter engineering when a group of Suran engineers come charging by. I recognize one and start to say something, at the moment they commented.

“That’s Seelnay of Seelnay and Company I wonder why she’s here. Paveryua didn’t mention she’d be aboard, we have no problems that require her expertise I wonder-”

Problem with Suran’s is, given enough time, they’ll try to explain the origin of the universe. I knew this and stopped them before they got started.

“Just visiting, I am taking a look around to satisfy my own curiosity. Anything I should investigate, anything, special?”

“You’re at the best-”

One Suran started to comment, another put his hand across his mouth, while another approached me and examined my credentials. Backing away and bowing he said.

“She has clearance, you can tell her, can’t be too careful these days. If we spilled something Paveryua didn’t want us to we’d be in trouble deep.”

The door to engineering opened and there stood Paveryua he took one look at the engineers and said.

“No time for chit chat, you need to be somewhere else, about now, right?”

Panicked looks followed by flying feet and they were gone, turning in my direction he said.

“Here to check my handy work? Well the best is in here and I don’t think I’ll have to explain much to someone as knowledgeable as you.”

He backed into the department, I stepped in, and with one look, my jaw hit the floor.

“Commander I’ve just finished a complete scan of the area as you requested. The results are normal we are, and have been, the only ships in this corridor there are still residual readings from our last crossing.”

Snapping off the link, the commander stared at the bulkhead, something didn’t make sense. The other end, closed, blocked by some energy disaster was it natural or artificial. The strange energy readings at the intersection and now no unusual readings on this route, confusion was setting in. Opening the link the order was given to launch the scout to investigate the Shahrazad end of the route to make sure it was operational. Closing that and massaging their neck the following thought passed through their brain.

“I’m exhausted I need to rest before we reach Shahrazad if not we are wasting a golden opportunity. Sleep I need to sleep.”

Laying back on the bunk their eyes shut and sleep came at once.

I stared at the star drive unit, a merged no hybrid device. I recognized pieces from both ships, but that reaction chamber, its design, I’d seen it some where before but-.

“Pretty interesting; I can tell by your look you’ve got an idea, but not quite sure, how or why what you see, is what is there. I’ll explain if you step over here.”

Moving to the engineering panel Paveryua activated it and said.

“Before his death Samson and I were developing a unit that could deliver twice the energy of our current units yet use thirty percent less fuel. This is our design refined by myself and tested with the prototype aboard the shuttle that brought me here. This is a full size version of the drive. The reason I told Sobbash not to leave the system is that, while in theory it should operate like the system aboard the shuttle it’s not been field tested. With that said being a stationary, pre say, platform the drive unit will not be used, however the energy available will be.”

Activating the balance of the display those readings, it was mind boggling to say the least I had to ask and did.

“So this is ‘burst energy’ or-”

“Seelnay what you see is continuous available, this is ‘burst’ and its duration.”

Paveryua started a simulation the ‘normal’ readings, in my opinion, were off the chart. The ten minute ‘emergency burst’ could power the planet for six months easily. Canceling the simulation he said.

“In this configuration they’ll have full fire power and shields, plus a fifty percent reserve, without tapping the ‘burst’ energy. I don’t see there being any problems, now as for the firepower, if you’ll accompany me I’ll show you the weapons arrays. I think you find them as intriguing as the engines are.”

I followed Paveryua like a first year engineering student following a master of engineering professor. I wished Samson had lived to see what I was seeing. The weapons array, I thought engineering was impressive, this was paradise. I saw no further reason to fear for Dawn and Donald’s safety.

“We tailed the ships as instructed, at nineteen thirty hours Imperial time; the ships entered the Sord at Lobnas prime without incident.”

Katra Bebaus read the report and looked at the ships clock it was now a few minutes before midnight. It took four plus hours for the report to arrive yet something about this report… opening the Sord database she answered her question in seconds. When inquiring about the Sords in the area of Lobnas prime one word stood out, the word was, ‘inactive’. Opening a link to the bridge she said.

“Where is the shuttle’s present location?”

“Admiral if they are following orders they should be leaving Lobnas about now their ETA is-”

“Turn them around have them do a scan of that Sord, if no hostiles are seen, they are to venture into it and take readings. Use the high speed communications, I need answers, an hour ago would have been fine.”

“Understood Admiral we’ll break communications blackout, should we also move the fleet as well?”

“Send the message, if someone out there wishes to investigate its source, we’ll give them an appropriate welcome.”

“Message sent fleet at alert status two.”

Dai and I have been eavesdropping on the open link, neither of us were surprised when Tay’s voice echoed on our respective bridges and now, although we’ve received no direct communications from Illusion, we’ve prepped our crews for the ‘jump’ that’s about to take place shortly.

“Dai I give it five minutes and if we don’t hear from them I’m reminding them we are here and in position.”

“You think a shot across their bow might get their attention. I’ve been itching to try out this ship now that it’s, finally, operating correctly.”

“Oh I’m sure you’d get their attention and depending, who is controlling the weapons station. You might get to check your shields out as well. KO will just rattle your fillings, but if Leo is operational, he might really try to ruin your day.”

The expression on Dai’s face was priceless, a kind of semi sour smile followed by a genuine pout. I was about to say something when-.

“Twelve minutes to jump, your positions are correct, a count down from thirty will commence when that point is reached. At that moment intensify your shields and bring your propulsion units back on line. In the off chance you’re thrown clear of the ‘jump’.”

Orion was not sounding very promising, in my opinion, I was about to question him when-.

“In future, just for your reference, a shot across our bow would have been met with deadly force.”

The link went silent and was replaced with a countdown clock, Dai returned to the viewer, her expression, I’ve seen on several occasion what she had to say did surprise me.

“You realize one of us, is going to have the great misfortune of commanding that ship someday. Hopefully it can be taught some better manners in the mean time.”

“I realize we are faster than the fleet, but when we arrive we’ll only have, maybe, an hour to explore the area before the balance of the fleet arrives. I wonder what the commander is thinking.”

“What the commander is thinking is this; we spot something out of the ordinary and even if we give them ten minutes notice we could save a rout, you’re new so I’ll explain this once so listen carefully. Our commander has seen a lot of action lately and has lost many ships, so caution and boldness, which usually don’t mix, are being expressed here. Shahrazad has forted many of our attempts in recent history, and the commander is not looking to have this be another futile attempt.”

The initial acceleration was unnerving. Once stable it felt like we weren’t moving at all, although navigation seemed off line the totally black view outside would convince ones senses that we were stationary. Ariel was sitting at the science station. She was the only one seemingly interested in what was happening because through the ships sensors she was experiencing our jump firsthand.

“Amazing I can see us moving and its not in a straight line as I thought it would seem we are ‘bending’ space no more like watching a glass blower create a globe. Dai, tie into the science station, you’ve got to experience this for yourself.”

I tied in and experienced something I still, to this day, can not describe. The saying ‘you had to be there to understand’ just hit home. Eight minutes passed by too quickly the next thing we knew KO was on the link inquiring to how we ‘handled’ the trip. Navigation came on line and about a minute later our new position was known. Orion is good, I’ll give him that, we were a mere five thousand meters from where he predicted we would arrive. Point Hope instead of being at the edge of the map now loomed a mere nine point five hours off. The race was on who would arrive first and if we weren’t first what would we find there?

“Dai on an unrelated note our signal to the beacon should be arriving about now. Unfortunately it doesn’t tell them that we’re here, just that we survived. Well our showing up unannounced should come as a great surprise eh?”

“Hum, hopefully someone is actually running the defenses because if they are on ‘automatic’ we’ll be the ones surprised.”

We’d cover this subject in the briefing, yet I wanted to remind everyone that it was a possibility. I for one didn’t want to be knocked out of space by our own defenses.

“Commanders log: Scout Shiki we’ve approached the Sord at Lobnas Prime and confirmed it as active. Scanning the area we’ve ventured into the event horizon and found recent activity approximately four hundred different energy signatures have been detected. We are going to venture in a bit further and then report back to Admiral Bebaus.”

“We’ve got company from behind the third planet; I don’t think they’ve seen us.”

“Enter the Sord and conceal our position, ship type and numbers?”

“Twenty ships total, ten are Zon battleships, the rest we have no record of, I can image the closest one to the Sord.”

Although slightly distorted the image of a powerful warship is displayed. The commander now had a decision to consider, how to get into the clear and report this without losing his ship.

“How soon will they clear the area?”

Tactical looked hard at his display and said.

“They’ve come to a stop about two hundred – fifty thousand kilometers from the event horizon. If I didn’t know better I’d say they were waiting for someone to arrive.”

Arrive from where, the Sord, if so then something would be approaching them from behind, but that corridor seemed clear. Assuming they were waiting for another ship to arrive the commander made a decision.

“Load all the data we have into the emergency beacon and launch it. Program its course to deviate from those ships and once at its fuel limit transmit the data. Hopefully those ships won’t track it back to the Sord, if they do we’ll lead them on a merry chase eh?”

The flagship of the Fifteenth Abh fleet was in the middle of crew rotation when the alarm sounded. The admiral was just entering the bridge when-.

“Emergency beacon from the Shiki has been deployed. We’re receiving a data burst from it, decoding it now.”

The report and image showed on the screen, Katra opened a link to the ninth fleet, sent the information, and then brought her fleet to battle stations. Her father broke silence and communicated to her directly.

“Katra you’re going after them is that correct?”

“Yes father, I’m taking two divisions with me that should be plenty to deal with twenty ships-”

“Katra take everything you have and be very careful. Those unknown ships, I’ve seen one before, well before you were born, their fire power is immense. Rescue your people and do not engage those ships unless absolutely necessary. I’ll be sending you all the data I have and forwarding this report though the proper channels.”

A data file appeared then the link closed. Katra ordered the fleet to Lobnas Prime with an ETA of two hours, in that time she’ll study the report and act accordingly.

Waiting is one of the most time consuming and annoying functions of life. Greta was sitting in the command center waiting for an attack everyone knew was coming but from where? The console lit up opening the link she took note of whom it was from, who it was directed to, how it was encoded and said.

“I think the other shoe is about to fall.”

Opening a link she said.

“Sobbash, Commander Ninth Abh Fleet on the link for you and scrambled.”

“Understood I’ll be there shortly.”

Shortly was less than a minute Sobbash entered the code and the link was established. Admiral Bebaus appeared on the viewer the image shifted to a warship and the conversation began.

“Sobbash this was taken from the Fifteenth fleets scout ship in Lobnas Prime about seventy minutes ago. According to the report ten of those and ten first line Zon battle ships were outside the Sord. The recon shuttle is hiding inside the Sord and the entire Fifteenth fleet is enroute to affect their rescue. I won’t tell you what this sighting means I know you already know. I’m relocating my fleet to the following position. Have you heard anything from your fleet?”

“We got a day and a half old report that they are together as one unit, however their present location is unknown. There were ten of those at Lobnas?”

“Correct and the scout also reported a movement of four hundred plus ships through the Sord recently. May I note an inactive Sord or at least it was when surveyed two years ago. What any of this has to do with you I have no idea, but be on guard I figure in the next twelve hours, we’ll know something one way or the other.”

“I agree your new position is noted and I’ll pass it along to our defenses. Admiral, ten of those ships, you realize how many ships we lost taking down two of them correct?”

“Very much so Sobbash, that’s why the warning and now if you’ll excuse me. I need to let the Capital know, funny they should have been first, but priorities dictated otherwise. Good luck Sobbash.”

The link closed, Sobbash established a new link and said.

“Seelnay report your location.”

“I’m aboard the Independence in weapons array with Paveryua Sobbash you should see this ship its-”

“Not now Seelnay is the captain aboard?”

“No not at this time why do you ask?”

“Are you near a communications terminal?”

“We are. What’s going on Sobbash?”

“Open it and link it to the command center you’ll have your answer.”

“Sobbash I have their terminal, encoding the data and sending it now.”

Greta pushed the button and silence filled the room then from the ship Seelnay said.

“No way can’t be, Paveryua look at this will you it is what I think it is-”

“You are correct it is. Where was this image taken?”

“Outside Lobnas Prime about an hour and a half ago there are at least ten of them.”

More silence from the link then finally.

“We can’t take one let alone ten of them down. Have we heard anything from the fleet?”

“Nothing since the report this morning although it was a day and a half old, I’ve got an assignment for you and there is only one answer to it, yes. I’m putting in command of that ship till its captain arrives and I want you to do the following. The deep space transmitter is operational am I correct?”

“It is fully operational but what-”

“I want you to take all the data we have on this and our present tactical situation. Encode it into a transmission, and then you are to transmit it on the emergency tactical frequency continuously. Don’t expect an answer but if Dai or Plakia are out there they’ll receive this and hopefully plan accordingly. You have your orders I need to bring Eliana up to speed as well as Noel. On the off chance you should receive an answer let me know Sobbash out.”

Sobbash opened a link and included Noel in it. She sent the information to both of them and then asked Noel to bring Eliana up to speed. The link closed and Greta commented.

“What is it with this planet? There are challenges in life, I understand that, but lately this place has been one daunting challenge after another. I mean, I wonder were we born under an unlucky star or what?”

“Noel I partially understand what Sobbash sent. There have been rumors for as long as I can remember about ships of this nature. But I thought them just that, rumors, something to keep one awake at night but this image-”

“You’ve looked into the history of this world have you?”

“I have. What are you getting at Noel?”

“Something that’s not in the official record, this world was once home to an ancient and very power race. A race of telepaths, empaths and telekinetics, on the dawn of a new awakening they suddenly vanished without a trace. Their history is locked deep within this planet. Secrets we’ve only started to uncover buried for centuries tell of a race that had it all. They mastered the universe and themselves, explored vast portions of the universe, and supposedly left genetic samples on those worlds the deemed able to survive. While conjecture, without proof, it is thought every race in the galaxy can be traced back to this one world. That ship is of a design we found when we first explored this planet. We were never able to duplicate it yet it would seem that someone or something has. Given what little we know about it, our ships pale in performance to it, that is, if it is truly a fully functional ship based on the drawings we found here. Eliana this planet holds so many wonders but you already know this and I won’t, no can’t divulge anymore. But safe guarding this world is our top priority. Secrets here if made available to the rest of the races will drastically alter the balance of power and throw us into complete chaos.”

“I knew this place was special yet I never could imagine- Noel what does it take to- um- join this- err-”

“Let’s do this; if we survive this encounter that is certainly coming our way, I’ll be happy to discuss with you the prospect-”

“Really, okay, I can wait, right now how do we fight this challenge?”

I sat staring at the image deciding whether to tell Eliana we’ve fought these ships before and the outcome was not impressive. We lost thirty ships taking two of them out of commission, disabling them not destroying them; it took planted explosives from the inside to do that. What was it? I’m trying to remember oh yeah now I’ve got it someone after the last ship was vanquished said they were ‘monstrous nightmares’ of a highly disturbed mind. Two were bad enough now we had the possibility of ten, and just what were those Zon battleships doing there. You’d wonder if Minchi had found a key to unleash them on the galaxy.

To Be Continued In: The Battle for Shahrazad

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."