61_Aftermath

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

61_Aftermath

Post by Diaho »

Aftermath

“The first attack on the planet while it hit in an uninhabited area it triggered a massive earth tremor that affected not only the underground city but the Village and surrounding area. Independence and the Suran’s are enroute to affect rescue …”

On orbital approach to the spaceport Shahrazad was showing the damage inflicted upon it. Part of the surface was obscured by a massive dust cloud that rose ten kilometers or more into the atmosphere. The platform lay destroyed along with most of the orbital defenses. Communication satellites also suffered, transporters were non functional their pads disrupted by the quake or lack of power due to the same. All suitable landing areas were unusable; however Captain Pratt had precariously placed Independence along side the island, in the bay, a feat I wish I had been there to witness.

KO stood on the platform waiting for the shuttle, as Captain she had stayed with Illusion until it was docked and out of sight to all. Nervously she entered the shuttle taking note of the pilot covered in dust and wearing a re –breather. He handed one to her and said.

“Visibility at the landing pad is about three hundred meters if you’re lucky. There is a mooring line extending from the pad to the command center I strongly suggest you use it, you should be wary of tremors and drop offs. That’s your briefing for now, relax it is going to be a rough ride from here on.”

At one thousand meters the mooring lamps became visible. Under ‘normal’ conditions they would be visible from low orbit exit or about twenty kilometers in altitude. KO saw nothing, a view which disturbed her greatly.

“Ninth Fleet operational log: Nine hours post engagement; we’ve made our third sweep of the area and have determined all energy sources have been neutralized. I’ve received a report from Katra; she’s made it within scanning range of Shahrazad. The images she sent back reminded me of the early days when planet killer weapons were in use. I wonder just what Dustain was really after. Lakfakalle has been requesting a ‘complete’ report regarding the recent engagement. They’ve gotten a sanitized version of events the main points I’ve failed to report was Kenesh’s appearance aboard the Shahrazad ‘flagship’ and that vessel itself. Its image is on my monitor at this moment. Where they acquired that ship, I do not know, but its presence has altered the balance of power in this part of the galaxy. I hope we never become a ‘foe’ of Shahrazad. I’ve never seen a group do so much with so little… that flagship the energy signature and weapons it contained, I believe an entire fleet could not stop it. An ‘arms race’ is something this part of the galaxy can not afford. As long as Sobbash keeps that ship secret although present events had altered the flow the future was taking. I do believe the path will stabilize and return to a ‘norm’ in time.”

“Admiral, sorry to interrupt but I have a message from fleet command they want to talk to you.”

“Oh, who is calling this time?”

“Admiral of the Fleet Debeusec, it’s a secure and scrambled link instruction are for you to take this call in private.”

“First officer you have the bridge, maintain our present position and instruct the Fifteenth to remain outside of the Shahrazad system. I’ll be in my cabin, communications forward that call there.”

“Personal log First Princess recording: “I’ve just witnessed a slaughter, there is no other term I can recall from my knowledge of the languages I know to describe what has just happened. The fleet is intact although we have suffered some ‘minor’ damage. Our present position is about the third moon of Shahrazad well clear of the space dock but with a front row seat to observe the planet. The once ‘blue’ world is now becoming shrouded in dust and debris. About an hour ago we observed what I believe was a volcano becoming active in the southwester quadrant of the continent the inhabited area is located on.

Monitoring communications is becoming a very daunting task. If you sort out the minor reports and concentrate on the ‘emergency’ communications it would seem to me that what ever struck the planet was no ordinary ordinance. I’ve read history regarding the formable ‘Abh planet killers’ I believe this weapon is not of that type but, what ever is going on, on the surface, does not seem to be subsiding.”

“Princess, Katra Bebaus is hailing us requesting to speak with you.”

“Put her on.”

“I’m dispensing with formality, Eliana be honest with me just what the hell happened. I have a long range scan and…”

“Forward her the past hours high resolution scans. Katra these will answer some of your questions the rest I can not help you with. How is everything out there?”

“Clean up is almost done. We’re leaving warning buoys about the area; at least KO did not conduct battle in a navigational corridor. We’ve also picked up a dozen or so Suran transports inbound they should show up on your scanners shortly lastly we’ve been fending off inquiries from Doras, seems Zachary has figured out what is going on and is, basically asking about stuff he doesn’t need to know about. I’ve got him at bay for the moment. Have you heard anything from the surface?”

“Nothing directed directly at us a lot of reports concerning damage and request for engineering assistance. Looks like the Suran queen has one heck of a crystal ball the fleet here has with it most of the resources the planet requires. Katra once you view the data I’ve sent you you’ll get a better feel for what is happening… I wish we had record of the weapon impact but alas we were hiding in the moons shadow. I’ll keep you apprized you do the same.”

“Acknowledged we’ll be in contact… out.”

The image fades to black and the Princess continues.

“Be prepared for a call back from her once she views that data. I know for a fact if she’s not moved by what she sees then my observation of Abh’s will need to be reviewed in depth.”

“Discovery captains log Dai Lexshu recording: Defiance and I are in high orbit about the planet we are linked with Independence, which through superior effort on the captain’s part, is on the surface. I have a concern though, Plakia has been silent since we entered orbit Defiance has been intensively scanning the impact areas using a technique I’ve read about but never have seen in action before. I know what she’s looking for and half of me hope she doesn’t find it. Captain Pratt reports seismic activity has not ceased in fact in her observations indicate that it’s increasing. One thing she is reporting is that most of the affected area has been successfully evacuated and everyone accounted for. It would also be of note that the blast from the attack coincided with Cassandra coming conscious. Her observation was that Cassie was quite a handful upon waking. She and the rest off the hospital staff are aboard the Dorin and on their way to…”

“Ariel, where did the Dorin say it was going?

Ariel, who was in a conversation with Kenesh, placed that link on hold, brought up the communication and said.

“The hospital ship of the fifteenth fleet positioned just outside the asteroid field.”

I watched as she returned to her conversation with Kenesh and sensed the sorrow they both were feeling.

“Captain’s log supplemental: I worry about Ariel even though it wasn’t her biological father that just died. Knowing what she has suffered because of that part of her history, it is good that she and Kenesh are talking. I do believe Kenesh tried to establish a report with Dustain for reasons she only knows yet I’m happy it was KO and not her who pulled the trigger.”

Stowing the log I notice a change in Defiance’s scanning. Tapping into her data stream I sit watching Plakia literally dissecting an area twenty kilometers square and about one thousand meters deep layer by layer. I wonder what she’s found.

“Dai I’ve been monitoring Defiance I believe they’ve found something. Have they communicated with us?”

“No Arisa I’m monitoring her data stream but the information I’m receiving is not making any sense. I’m not sure what they are looking for; the interference is partially corrupting the link.”

“I know communication with the surface is also getting spotty we really need to alter our orbit so we are geostationary with Independence when it drifts away we lose them. However that would also interfere with Defiance’s scanning they seem to be parked on the initial coordinates of the first impact.”

“Can you scan the command center?”

“It’s becoming difficult something is, for lack of better words, either jamming or reflecting our scans. It’s also messing with communication as well.”

“Maneuver us to maintain contact with Independence and steer clear of Defiance.

“Captain might I remind you this is not a shuttle. I’ll give it my best shot but as close as Defiance is you’d guys better be on the ball up there. I wonder how mad Plakia would get if we either bumped into her or blocked her scan?”

“Okay here goes; helm, adjust our orbit to stay locked with Independence, tactical if we get close to Defiance shout out no matter what is happening.”

“Discovery do you read me?”

“Noel we read you faintly, where are you?”

“Enroute to the Seelnay we’re evacuating the planet something down there is trying to rip it to pieces.”

“Captain I’ve intercepted a communication you should hear.”

Plakia Lexshu disconnects from the ships sensors and listened to the message.

“Discovery do you read me?”

“Noel we read you faintly, where are you?”

“Enroute to the Seelnay we’re evacuating the planet something down there is trying to rip it to pieces.”

“Open a link to those two and let me know when your ready.”

“Captain we’re ready you should also know Discovery is ten thousand meters off our port beam and maintaining its distance, almost.”

“Wonderful don’t let her hit us okay?”

“Aye Captain and link is established voice only though.”

“This is a general evacuation notice. We’ve discovered a device at the initial point of impact that I believe is a modified type ten planet killer. The proximity fuse must have failed but it also might be on a timer. There is too much interference to determine from here, since we’ve monitored a message saying the planet is being evacuated. We strongly suggest all ships move one half light year in distance from Shahrazad.”

KO was half way to the command center when Defiance’s transmission rang in her ears. Locating the Independence she headed in that direction all the while trying to raise either Illusion or Lyra… Finally Lyra heard her and responded.

“Captain you are very faint repeat your request.”

“Lyra if you can read me; commence an emergency activation, move from the moorings and assemble the ship. I’ll be aboard shortly.”

Aboard Illusion Kenesh was in a communication when KO’s orders brought the ship to life.

“Attention crew this is an emergency activation breaking moorings and backing out of space dock. Orion, Leo, I’ve taken operational control of the command ship prepare for ship merger in thirty seconds from my mark… Mark.”

Kenesh moved to the communications link and was about to inquire when Defiance’s alert was received.

Lyra there is very little crew aboard is the Captain aware of this fact?”

“I’m no longer in contact with the Captain but given the gravity of the present situation we can function for a limited time in this configuration.”

“Independence this KO do you read me?”

“Barely where are you?”

“About a thousand meters off you port side. Are your transporters functional?”

“They are.”

“I need you to transport me to Discovery from there I’ll have them return me to Illusion.”

“KO can’t transport you from there you’ll have to make your way to the ship and then I can do that interference is too much at you location as a matter of fact it’s pretty much snarled everything here.”

“You did hear the evacuation order correct?”

“No, when, where…”

“Contact Defiance, open an access door and light it up, is the surface stable around the ship?”

“It was ten minutes ago, port access hatch is open the chief is looking for you.”

A faint light appears to KO’s right she makes her way towards it. Once aboard she is transported directly to Discovery and then on to Illusion. She appears on the bridge dusty and bedraggled.

Lyra ships status.”

It’s Leo that answers.

“Ship is merged and operational we’ve received information from Defiance and have initiated a level four scan of the area. There is an object and as soon as we have an image we’ll display it.”

“That’s all well and good, but answer me this question, can we place a force field around it and physically remove it from the planet… that force field would have to withstand and contain a one hundred and fifty thousand yottajoule blast.”

“KO one fifty, you’re kidding, the only thing, a type ten?”

“Yeah you missed out on the bigger picture since we’ve not linked anymore. Plakia swears she found a type ten at those coordinates if it is; there is little time to mess around disarming it is out of the question. Yanking it from the planet and casting it towards the sun makes the most sense. Hopefully if it doesn’t explode when we remove it, it’ll blast a hole in the asteroid belt when it does…”

“Captain Scan complete I believe what you propose is possible however we’ll have to be positioned exactly twenty three point two five kilometers above the device.”

“That’s well within the atmosphere if that device goes off…”
“Kenesh if that device goes off any place but in deep space the damage will be… we’ll not be around to care about it.”

“Not true Captain we can contain the explosion.”

“For how long?”

“About two minutes.”

“And then hm, My point exactly. We’ll never know what hit us. Kenesh you’re free to go if you wish but time is not on our side.”

“Course plotted and laid in ready when you are KO.”

“Engage.”

*“KO’s nuts… Plakia, she just entered the atmosphere… what’s she up to?”

“My guess Oh no… Dai… We’re backing out, position yourself over the command center and let Sobbash know KO’s going after the device. I don’t know how the evacuation is going but they need to know. I’m going to try to raise KO.”

Discovery moved directly above Independence and continuously broadcasts updates from Defiance concerning Illusions progress.

Aboard Independence Plakia Pratt was taking a dim view of events on the other side of the continent.

“How soon till planet evacuation?”

“An hour give or take… the last transports are loaded awaiting clearance.”

“Tell them to leave now; nose to tail if they have to, if that device goes off while they’re still on the surface.”

“Do we have all the Command Staff aboard?”

“Sobbash and party are making their way here that should be the last of them.”

“As soon as they are aboard lift off.”

“Chief can you hear me?”

“Aye Captain I hear you.”

“Head outside meet Sobbash and drag her in here. Once in hit the comm. link and prepare for an emergency lift off.”

*‘KO, give me five minutes before you try to yank that device out of the ground, just a lousy five minutes.’*

“Dai where is KO?”

“About fifty kilometers above the device and slowly descending.”

“If Plakia can raise her, tell her I need seven minutes and then we’re in the clear…”

“We’ll try communications is becom…….”

“Lost them Captain all I’m getting is navigational data.”

*’Come on chief drag them in here already.’*

“Captain green light from the hold.”

“Launch, heading two three-three, azimuth sixty five, once clear of the planet stand on it and head for the fifteenth fleet.”

“Dai the last transport is off and Independence just launched jumping to light while in the atmosphere.”

“Sobbash is aboard they’ll fight it out.”

“Dai?”

“Ariel?”

“You know my mom’s aboard Illusion she didn’t leave the ship.”

“Helm plot an intercept course to Defiance, Communications establish a link, any kind of link, I want to know what’s going on.”

“We’re getting an evacuation order from Independence.”

“Ignore it!”

“Captain?”

“Ariel Ignore the order… Helm, time to rendezvous with Defiance?”

“They are one hundred thousand kilometers off the bow.”

“Can we talk to them?”

“That’s all I’ve heard... Dai I can hear you and I also heard Independence. I do believe we should withdraw to these coordinates. KO’s about to remove the device and I’d like to be clear of the blast.”

“You’re aware KO’s not alone Kenesh is with her.”

Silence mixed with the static, it took a moment for it all to register then from Defiance

“We’ll be of little use if we stay where we are I was unaware of Kenesh was aboard still we should move and very soon. KO’s at thirty kilos in height at twenty three she’s starting the removal.”

“Alright Defiance we’re moving to the coordinates we’ll see you there.”

Rolling to port Dai left orbit with Plakia two minutes in trail, the planet growing smaller in the viewer.

Katra Bebaus sat in her cabin with images projected on any flat surface she could find. Shahrazad was a ‘doomed’ world, in her opinion, yet something didn’t feel right. Concentrating on the last images Eliana sent she was taking in detail when…

“Admiral we’ve received a general evacuation order from Shahrazad there is more I’m feeding you the message now.”

“This is a general evacuation notice. We’ve discovered a device at the initial point of impact that I believe is a modified type ten planet killer. The proximity fuse must have failed but it also might be on a timer. There is too much interference to determine from here, since we’ve monitored a message saying the planet is being evacuated. We strongly suggest all ships move one half light year in distance from Shahrazad.”

‘A type ten, No way you can disarm them as far as I know…’

“Bridge status report.”

“Scans are incomplete but it would seem a number of transports are headed this direction from Shahrazad. It should be noted that on last scan two warships were in close orbit over what I believe were the impact coordinates. We keep getting bits and pieces of communications in the clear but not enough to make any sense of them.”

“Forward me what you have and keep listening is the ninth fleet aware of the present situation?”

“Yes Admiral they are on a link they’ve acknowledged our transmissions.”

“Very well, I’ll be on the bridge shortly, if anything changes…”

“Admiral you’re in the loop you’ll know when we know.”

Closing the link Katra concentrated on the communications received from the planet. She was searching for three distinct voices the rest of the background she filtered out. Once that was accomplished the conversation, although pieces were missing, became crystal clear to her. Opening the link to her father she said.

“They are going to try to remove a type ten from the planet, father is that even possible?”

Under normal circumstances I’d say no but lately what they have accomplished has been far from normal. I’m giving you and the picket fleet only, permission to move to the edge of the system I’d like a record of events but you are not to interfere is that clear Katra?

“Crystal father, I want nothing to do with a type anything let alone a ten… we’ll record everything for you as you wish.”

The link closed and six ships moved to the edge of the system scanners recording every movement.

Shahrazad grew smaller on the main viewer, ordering an increase in magnification, the Suran Admiral commented.

“I was hoping to visit that world however…”

“Admiral I’ve found Defiance and Discovery they’ve moved to sector thirty two on the standard star map, also Independence which was enroute to the Abh fifteenth has made a hard about and is rendezvousing with them estimated three minutes. Finally the Seelnay is approaching from astern they are requesting docking instructions.”

Looking across the bridge the Admiral said.

“You’ve got two choices, confine yourself to the brig or face Seelnay. If she’s on board she’s going to figure out it was you who stunned her and well…”

“Time to face the music, is that the correct phrase? I don’t plan on spending the rest of my life running from her. I’m ready to try to explain…”

“Good luck with that… instruct the Seelnay to docking port four and have a detail bring them to the conference room amidships. Now I wonder whose commanding Independence that looked like a ‘Sobbash move’ to me. Monitor their communications if anything interesting occurs I’ll be in the conference room contact me there.”

“Distance to the surface?”

“Twenty five Kilometers and holding.”

Lyra explain we should be on our way out bound by now.”

“To accomplish the removal we need to be in a stable hover above the surface, however it is taking longer the closer we move towards the surface to stabilize the ship. I estimate another ten minutes to removal point. Also that device is partially jamming the sensors we don’t have an exact fix on its location we might take a bit of the planet with us when we leave.”

KO’s impatience was becoming quite evident Kenesh move to face her and said.

“Haste makes waste, granted if the device detonates before we get it safely away then we’ve failed. But given that had this ship not been here we would not be having this conversation or be in this dilemma. I think we should have faith in its ability to think and act much faster than we can.”

Hands on, that’s what KO has always strived for and now, with the fate of the planet squarely resting on her shoulders, she needs to trust something she has little control over. She studies Kenesh’s face a worried look resides on a basically calm exterior. KO wonders how she can balance everything and still think so clearly. Accepting the fact that to the moment they done all they could KO waits fairly patiently for the ship to get into position.

Dai and Plakia were exploring options when…

“Status report, I’d like everything you have.”

Sobbash’s voice boomed over the link switching to visual sitting in the center seat of Independence was Sobbash with Captain Pratt to her right. Dai was about to say yet Plakia bet her to the punch.

“Took command of the ship did you now?”

Sobbash was about to reply when Captain Pratt spoke.

“Actually she’s been running around like mad and the dash to the ship… well I offered her a seat and she took it literally.”

Sobbash turned and momentarily stared at Captain Pratt then continued.

“I’ve sent Noel and Seelnay to the Suran flagship to coordinate keeping the transports safe. Now would someone explain to me what the devil KO and Kenesh are up to?

An image appears on the main display while Plakia explains from Defiance.

“Remembering that type tens detonated when they reached a specific temperature I’ve surmised the following. Our best estimate is the device was somewhere between one thousand an fifteen hundred meters below the surface. While that is deep enough to heat the device to cause it to detonate that area is the former sub tropical area. I believe the device hit an area of the blackish green goo we encounter while exploring the area a decade ago. If that is the case the device is probably stuck firmly and since the goo is decayed plant material fed by underground springs. I believe it’s kept the device cool enough to prevent detonation. But that is only temporary sooner or later the planet heating will raise the temperature to the level where the device will go off. KO plans to position Illusion above the impact point, wrap the device in a force field, and then remove it from the planet. There is a downside that KO doesn’t know about. If that device is buried in the goo it could have shifted position moved with in the goo and well, for lack of better words, a good example would be removing an impacted tooth. Either way if something doesn’t happen in the next half hour my calculations say it should have gotten hot enough to accomplish a reaction.”

Sobbash stared at the display and inquired…

“Can we talk to KO?”

“Not possible we’re having trouble keeping the locator beacon signal. Interference from the planet is increasing, which to me indicates the device is heating up building its way to a reaction.”

“Stable at twenty-three kilometers we have scans of the area and of the unit… Captain, this object does not contain the weaponry you have described. I suggest you have a look at the data.”

Orion’s summary is projected on the main viewer. Outwardly this device resembles a type ten planet killer however its internal workings…

“Captain we have records of a similar device its purpose was… I’ll display the file now.”

The file opened on the display while in an alien language KO recognized enough of the working parts to say.

“A black hole generator… a rather sophisticated one but. This isn’t a …”

“The design is several centuries old, its efficient but impractical, given what I’m seeing if this device goes off not only will it consume the planet but most of the system as well. There is a way to neutralize it but we need to move fast.”

“I’m leaving it in your hands execute the plan.”

“KO what about the ships in the area we need to warn them.”

“Kenesh give it a go but I think were in such a location that screaming won’t be heard.”

“Device lock on, extending shields around it and forcibly removing it from the planet… Course projected… retrieval in three two one… device is secure… heading two three seven sector six… generating warp field and going to light speed…energy output of the device is stable… main weapons array on line and fully charged… distance from system one point two five light days… reading an increase in device energy signature…. Releasing device, slowing, targeting, shields to maximum… Brace for impact… Firing main array …”

The area lit up momentarily just as a sun going nova would. Shock waves rippled throughout the system. Kenesh had managed to transmit a warning just before the detonation.

Kenesh’s warning, while obscure, generated the results she had hoped for.

“Armageddon in ten seconds brace for impact.”

Aboard the three Shahrazad ships, the Suran fleet and the picket group from the fifteenth, ten seconds seemed like one. Luckily all were managed to raise shields and the fifteenth was the closest to the explosion. Katra got the ride of her life. Ripples were still shaking the fleet when Plakia said.

“That was no type ten that just detonated … scanning the area no sign of Illusion. However, as disturbed as that space is at the moment, you could hide an entire fleet in there and not see them.”

*“What the hell was that then? Don’t know Sobbash readings make no sense. Dai what have you got? My sensors are just coming back on line give me a couple of minutes…. Is Seelnay in this link? Reading you faintly Dai, if I believe what I’m seeing some sort of energy conversion explosion almost resembling a black hole collapsing has occurred. I can not sense Illusion also there is a strange energy reading at eighty five by two oh five. Distance undetermined, sensors say something might be there, visual shows a mass of debris. I believe that was the source of the explosion.”*

A heavy smell of ozone permeated the bridge, emergency lighting was on line and Kenesh lay across the main console. Trying to stand KO realized her left leg was broken, shifting all of her weight to the right she managed to hobble to Kenesh. After a moment or two Kenesh came around she seemed to be suffering a few bruised ribs but was in better shape than KO. Making a system check another issue raised it ugly head.

“No doubt about it Leo and Orion took the brunt of the explosion they on auto and in repair mode. It would seem Lyra shut down at the last moment to prevent being damaged. I should be able to get her back on line. I see your leg’s busted up pretty bad can you stay with me till I get the ship back up?”

“I’ll make it, can you reduce the gravity just a bit if I can float about the bridge, I’ll be of more help.”

Reducing the gravity to a tenth of normal help both of them, Lyra begrudgingly came on line a scan of the ship brought this from her.

“That was some explosion; the hull is intact however Leo is going to be off line for some time. Estimate Orion should be back with us within the hour. Now for our present position...”

Lyra scanned star chart after star chart. Suddenly her console filled with a mathematical formula, page after page of computations filled the screen then suddenly.

“We were pulled into the explosion and are residing on the edge of the event horizon. Our position is stable at the moment but we are going to have to have Orion back on line, my navigational skills are lacking in multi dimensional travel.”

Independence had returned to high orbit around Shahrazad. The planet was becoming stable once again, seismic activity was occurring about the impact point and the volcano had stopped spewing ash into the atmosphere. Defiance, Discovery and the Seelnay were scouring the area of the blast looking for Illusion. So far they had found no trace of the ship.

*“Seelnay move to grid four and continue the search Plakia move to grid seven I’m covering grid six. Do we have an estimate on when this disturbance might clear? Best information says another solar day and that’s a guess based on very old data. I’ve not seen an event like this in my life. Seelnay this reminds me of my merchant days coming across a discarded Sord these reading are very similar. I wonder? Plakia you might be on something there, say they did collapse a black hole and were caught inter dimensionally that would explain the lack of an energy signature or debris but… I know Dai if they are trapped we have no way to rescue them either… I hate to be a stick in the mud but we are assuming they survived the explosion… Noel please keep the obvious to yourself from now on okay?”*

“Illusion ships log: Orion is back on line Kenesh is working with him to navigate our way out of where ever we are. My leg is throbbing if the gravity had not been reduced earlier I’m sure I would have passed out by now. Another hour maybe less and we’ll be ready. I just hope this is the only time we’ll have to try not sure if my body could withstand more than one try at getting back... I wonder if Shahrazad survived our extraction never got a chance to scan the planet before all hell broke loose.”

“KO I’m going below I’ve had Orion scan your leg we need to set and immobilize it before we try leaving.”

“Fine I’m fine Kenesh just get…”

“No arguments KO, Orion project the image, KO I’ll be right back.”

Kenesh floated off the bridge Orion projected a scan of KO’s leg it was worse than it felt the bone was broken clean. A part of it dangerously close to the major vein that returned blood to her heart, a sudden impact and it could slice the vein she would be dead in minutes.

Kenesh returned to the bridge in a pressure suit she had a length of cable, a piece of conduit and some securing straps. Taking the cable and securing one end to KO’s her foot she fed the other end around the rail in front of them. Strapping KO firmly to the center seat she inflated her suit, to support her ribs, grabbed KO’s thigh with one arm and with the other pulled the cable. Orion scanned as Kenesh applied pressure once the bone was aligned and the pressure released she strapped the conduit to KO’s leg effectively immobilizing it. Needless to say KO experienced a great amount of pain during this Kenesh had a remedy for this pain.

“I found something in the med center one small shot of pain med I’ll give it to you now but I don’t expect it to last long.”

Kenesh gave KO the shot as soon as it had took effect KO inquired.

“You know you could have given me that BEFORE you set my leg or are you into inflicting pain?”

Undaunted Kenesh told her that she need her to ‘feel the pain’ in-case something went wrong she could say something; now that her leg is set numbing her it made sense.

“We are ready course is plotted executing on your command.”

Orion, take us home.”

“Event horizon forming off the port beam Discovery you need to leave the area.”

Dai backed away as the blue white line form off her bow. Opening like a gigantic eye in space Illusion exited it; the damage to the ship was very evident.

*“I’m docking with the ship. Be careful Seelnay I’m not able to scan it, the energy signature is too disturbed for the beam to penetrate. Noel’s in a suit she’s going aboard. Damn they got the… it’ll take a year in space dock to fix this mess. Noel’s aboard; Can you read me… I can hear you just fine the gravity is barely functional there is breathable atmosphere I’m on my way to the bridge. Seelnay any sign of hull breaches? I don’t see any but this is a big ship… I made it to the bridge and they are sitting here in front of me wondering why it took us so long to get aboard… Seelnay I’ll need you help Kenesh has fractured ribs and KO’s left leg is busted up pretty good… Arisa can you login and tell if the ship can make it home on its own? On my way Noel… and Noel Orion is pretty messed up… We’ll escort them back how’s KO and Kenesh? Laughing their asses off if you must know the truth.”*

It took another ten days for the planet to quiet down and we all realized that it will never be the same planet it was before all of this started. Kenesh and KO spent about a month recuperating. Illusion was operational in three weeks time, there is something about alien technology I find quite annoying, its ability to not only repair its self but make improvements as well. It would seem that Illusion has assimilated the entire history of the Abh race and this planet. It now speaks fluent Abh and corrects any one it believes has an incorrect memory. It’s become annoying as hell but its KO’s baby now and she can be just as annoying.

Kenesh stayed on, but insisted on a ‘space’ based career. She was place in command of Independence much to Plakia’s delight. You should see them like two school girls becoming re acquainted after a long summer apart.

Jinto and Lafiel spent a lot of time with Cassie until Shawn was born. Cassandra recovered, however her sense organ was too badly damaged to repair. Losing the ‘eyes in the back of her head’ was one thing; not being able to interface with AI units was the most devastating. Shawn arrived on the first day of spring, by the time he was three he had mastered things that some young adults are still learning. Scans show he’s ninety-nine percent Jinto and Lafiel’s child with two dormant strands of DNA present.

With the planet as it is Tay has remained silent. Sobbash and I have questioned her on many occasions and we are greeted with a blank stare.

Sobbash has her plate overflowing, with the planet, the council, Eliana, Zachary, Minchi, Tara, the Suran’s and their queen. She’s managed to rope several individuals into ‘helping’ her… a new form of blackmail me thinks.

As for me, Risch and I are rebuilding the defensive grid; the platform is back in operation. Once that is accomplished Seelnay and Greta are going to manage it while I prepare for grand-parenthood… also this planet still holds many secrets which I plan on discovering before I die…

The sunrises and sets on this world every day. Hopefully what occurred will never happen again. Because as much as I complain about it, this world is finally the home I’ve been looking for my entire adult life. And I plan on fighting like hell, to my dying breath, to protect it.

To Be Continued in: Governor

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."