64_The Shadow Returns

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

64_The Shadow Returns

Post by Diaho »

The Shadow Returns

“Personal log: Kenesh recording. I’ve known Katra and Kiri Bebaus since birth. Unlike their infamous uncle and father, they proved to be very sensible beings. Hearing Kiri becoming almost emotional at the last of the recording, its lead me to believe that she has sensed her sisters passing. Whatever fate awaits us all, I most certainly hope Katra Bebaus has survived.”

The platform is quiet, Noel Ekuryua and party have returned to the planet. According to the telemetry coming from Illusion they’ve arrived at Demos.

“I hate waiting, not knowing what is happening. Do we have a link open?”

“Sorry Cassie, when they arrived all communication was terminated we only have the telemetry from Lyra.”

“You should be happy to have that, there was a time, not long ago, we didn’t know how the ‘battle’ went till it was all over.”

Sobbash’s voice echoed in the command center she knew where to stand so that would occur. Cassandra turned around to find not only Sobbash but Noel and Atosuryua were standing behind her. Mix emotions flowed within her. It was then that a link opened and Sarah’s voice was heard.

“Our arrival was uneventful. Scans show at least fifty vessels destroyed or seriously damaged. We are gathering survival pods and looking for the flagship. Energy readings within the area match those we recorded earlier. Independence is in communications with the ninth fleet’s flagship. The part of the ninth heading this way is going to regroup with the fifteenth’s stragglers. It would seem that the balance of the fifteenth exited through the Sord, that said parts of the ninth are heading to Demos through the Sord and should pick up those ships as well. More information later, area scans are being added to the telemetry.”

“Defiance Captains log: Being three minutes late we arrived at a point close to the Dorian sun. KO and the others are in orbit in and about the asteroid field. Energy readings in the area are so high that scanning is limited. We’re using optics and scanning the area, infra red optics to be exact, looking for heat signatures.”

“Captain, contact bearing three four zero relative distance one hundred thousand kilometers azimuth Z-minus ten thousand. Several heat sources I believe them to be life pods.”

“Ahead slow, adjust our attitude so we approach them from below and behind I want the sun at our back. Optics, main viewer engage, communications have you made contact with the fleet?”

“Sorry Captain this snarl of energy has all means rendered useless. I’m receiving a very weak emergency beacon from in front of us.”

Moving forward seven light spots appear on the viewer magnifying the closest one shows it is a pod from the ninth fleet flagship. An elaborate rescue plan is formulated, the reason is Defiance contains an almost all Abh crew rescued from several different sources and bringing others of the race aboard might make for uncomfortable time should someone recognize someone else. A medical isolation ward is set up in the main hold; pods are recovered and taken there. The medical staff, mostly Dorian’s, will tend to those in the pods. Recovery complete Defiance sets out to find the fleet and transfer their passengers.

“Captain we’ve recovered thirty – four crew of the ninth fleet flag ship among them is Katra Bebaus. Her condition is critical she needs immediate medical attention more than we can give her here. I suggest the medical center on Demos however that will mean us landing there she’ll not survive transport of any kind.”

Plakia sits pondering her next move. Communications are impossible Demos is within visual range but if comm. is afoul so will be navigation. Bringing up a star chart she makes her decision.

“Helm, plot a course back home, engineering wring out every last ounce of speed we have, communications once clear of this garbage get central command on the line and scrambled. Form the bubble and let’s go.”

Aboard Illusion Defiance’s departure is recorded and a topic of discussion.

“Captain, Defiance just left the system in a big hurry projected course is taking them back to Shahrazad.”

“Were we talking to them?”

“No, communications are impossible; the only reason we know where Independence and Discovery are is through telepathy. Defiance was on the other side of the sun effectively out of telepathic range.”

“Scan the area and see if we can figure out what Defiance saw that made Plakia leave in such a hurry.”

“Probe launched estimated time to co-ordinates is six minutes it’s programmed to do a complete scan and return.”

“KO we just got a real weird reading like one of us jumped?”

“Not weird Dai one of us did jump Defiance to be exact and towards home at emergency. I’ve dispatched a probe to the area we’ll know something shortly.”

“Kenesh here I’ve made visual contact with Kiri’s flagship she signaling asking if we’ve found Katra?”

“Negative, there is too much disturbance and debris, as far as I know we’ve accounted for all of the beacons. What Kiri has to do is a head count and tell us how many ships are missing from the fifteenth then we can go from there.”

“Understood signaling that now, message received and looks like their rendezvous point is one fifty six by two zero one standard Demos star chart just off the Sord event horizon an area presently not affected by energy disturbances.”

“That’s the story Cassandra I’ve got thirty – four survivors, twenty – seven are ambulatory seven are in pretty bad shape Katra Bebaus being one of the worse. I’ll drop them off at space dock and have Saio and Jasmine’s staffs treat them there. We need to get back as soon as possible our ETA to space dock is five minutes.”

“Arrangements are being made… grandmother I’ve received a very blunt communications from Lakfakalle. Uncle Duhiel is holding the Alliance responsible for the attack and has directed the ninth fleet to take you into custody.”

“I’ll handle your uncle; you take care of Katra she’ll need to be healthy to defend us… I’m going to dump them off, no time for anything else, I hope you understand.”

“I understand stay safe till next we meet.”

Switching off the link Plakia asks the tactical officer a question.

“Are we receiving Illusions telemetry stream?”

“Yes captain we are they are presently in the asteroid belt between the Sord and Demos looks like they are heading to the Sord.”

“We need to warn them about the ninth fleet how many characters can we inject into the return stream?”

“Not many thirty – five at most why do you ask?”

Taking a tablet she composes a message, taking a moment to review it she says.

“Send this as written: ATTACK ABH BLAME U 9 2 ARREST U STAY AWAY

“Message sent Captain you’re serious about this?”

“Deadly serious I’ll be in my cabin notify me when we’re on the way back.”

Leaving the bridge Plakia heads to her cabin contacting Lafiel she relates her conversation with Cassandra an enraged Lafiel is tempered by her mother.

“Lafiel, someone has fed your brother a line of goods before you confront him find out whom and why then you’ll know what to do. But darling stay clear of the capital there may be an arrest warrant with your name on it as well.

“Yes mother you stay well you hear me!”

“I shall, later.”

“About ten minutes to the rendezvous scanners are just becoming functional I’m seeing a number of ships at the point.”

“Very well slow to low heat we’ll make our way there shortly any word on Defiance?”

“None but I just received a data message from them putting it on main viewer.”

ATTACKABHBLAMEU92ARRESTUSTAYAWAY

KO stared at it Sarah got it immediately.

“The Abh blame us for the attack, the ninth fleet has orders to arrest us, we are to steer clear of them.”

“All stop, every one on me, message on discrete.”

The message was transmitted and Kenesh said.

“You’re kidding, actually the ninth is in a defensive posture, you’re not kidding, what who why?”

“Don’t know Plakia just sent this message via the telemetry stream. Where’s the probe located.”

“On its way back should be here momentarily.”

“Once it’s aboard dump its data I want to know what Plakia saw what gave her cause to dash home and if her message can be linked to this event.”

“Admiral the Shahrazad ships have come to a halt just out of firing range. They seem to be waiting for something or someone.”

“Are we still talking to Independence?

“No when they came to a halt all communications links were closed.”

“I see we’ll hold this position for now and wait.”

Kiri activated the tablet in her lap; on it was the order from fleet command instructing her to take the Shahrazad and any Alliance ships into custody. Dimming the device she wondered if KO and company already knew of these orders, orders she was not planning on executing at this time. Her first and only concern was the safety of the fleet and her sister’s whereabouts. Past that, who shot who and why was at the bottom of the list.

“KO, the probes aboard, dumping the data, should know something in five minutes or so.”

KO sat watching the combined Abh fleets gather off her bow. In a legitimate fire fight Illusion could hold its own, how ever firing on those ships violated everything she held dear. Trying to figure out a logical reason for the orders Plakia said Kiri had, was giving her a headache. Who in their right mind would venture to think our ships would fire upon the Imperial Fleet, was insane to say the least.

“Captain, pay close attention to the main viewer if you please…”

Viewer activated and the images from the probe were displayed as Leo explained.

“Using Defiance’s departure as the central point the probe swept the area. It found several residual energy signatures consistent with escape pods of Imperial manufacture. Moving outward it came upon this…”

The Flagship of the fifteenth fleet was the next image displayed. Almost forty percent of it structure had received damage it was then Leo continued.

“The energy weapons used are almost similar to those aboard the super dreadnought we encounter at Shahrazad. I say almost because the damage suffered by the flagship was reduced as compared to the damage inflicted before. Without a ship to examine I can not conjecture any further. An uneducated opinion says these might be an earlier generation of the same weaponry we encountered before. Not as refined and not as deadly. Problem continues to be when the dreadnoughts from before fired their weapons it left a definite area of energy disturbance, this weapon should be leaving a similar area but at this moment we’ve found none. Basically Captain, that weapon was fired from a ship that somehow erasures its position after it’s fired… I’m, we’re still trying to analyze that but our data is incomplete.”

“The scan of the flagship indicated what?”

“According to the probes scan the ship took one direct hit amidships and a couple of glancing blows to the stern. The direct hit should have destroyed the ship it didn’t hence our conclusion that the weaponry is inferior to what we encountered before. Seventy percent of the life pods are no longer on the ship. There were no energy or life signs present. The ability to access the AI’s proved impossible. We have no idea what happened except the attack was sudden and almost fatal.”

“Were there other ships in the area?”

“No Captain the nearest beacon is five hundred thousand kilometers away.”

KO stood there, turning to Sarah she said.

“First salvo nicked the stern they tried to run and got hit amidships that would explain the damage and location.”

“Leo do we have an area scan?”

The area scan is portrayed KO makes notice of a debris field approximately sixty thousand kilometers from the wreckage.

“Sarah what do you make of the field?”

Running the image through the system she says.

“That field is still glowing my conjecture would be it was a larger mass…”

“Vaporized by weapons fire?”

“Captain, Analysis of the probe data confirms your supposition that the weapons discharge passed through that area before it hit the flagship. Given those facts I’m re-computing the weapons strength…”

“It was massive if not more so, we’ve got a real live dreadnought on our hands or at least the main weapon from one of them… Where is Plakia?”

“Defiance Captains log: we’ve dropped off the survivors at the space dock. There is a conflicting story as to what happened aboard the ship. The balance of the bridge crew gives one account; the first office gives a completely different story. Knowing what I know I believe I know who told the Empire we fired first… to prove it I need to access the ships AI’s with that we are headed back to the spot we arrived at previously.”

“Arrival in three, two, one, arrival complete, scanning the area and the ship is fifty thousand kilometers off the port beam.”

“Bring us within transport range, Decca Commander you’re with me, communications establish a link with Illusion.”

Entering the transport room the chief has disturbing news.

“Captain that ship is dead not a single power source shows operational there are also numerous hull breeches in and about the AI’s location. I can give you a back up supply that should give you enough up time to download the AI’s but be careful over there it doesn’t look very sound.”

“Understood keep a lock on us and at the first sign…”

“I’ll yank you back in a flash.”

“Energize.”

Helmet lights on Plakia moves about the AI room the damage to the interface is substantial preventing accessing the data crystals from the ship. The decision is made to take the crystals back to Defiance and analyze them there. With the Decca Commanders help the chamber is forced open and…

“We’ll retrieve the crystals and …”

“Captain that flashing light…”

“Chief, get us out of here.”

Grabbing the chamber’s contents in one hand and turning away as the transport commenced, the planted proximity mine exploded.

“Captain there’s been an energy discharge in the location of the fifteenth’s flagship.”

“You said it was dead what gives?”

“KO Defiance on the link they say the Captain went aboard to access the AI’s and there’s been an explosion.”

“Shields, hard about get me to that location…”

“The asteroids it’ll take us…”

Leo you’re on, cut a path through there; inform the fleet of what’s happened.”

“Kenesh here, we’ve been listening Discovery and I are on your six extend your shields to cover us and get moving.”

“Admiral; Energy discharge bearing forty – four degrees and ten million kilometers also the ships from Shahrazad have raised shields and are cutting a path through the asteroids in that direction. They’re not wasting anytime about it.”

Walking to tactical Kiri asks for an area scan. Energy distortions garble the return; however this energy signature is quite familiar to her, a tactical ‘self destruction’ mine to be used only when an Imperial ship is being boarded. A timed proximity device that both senses movement or heat source and detonates.

“Transporter room do you have the Captain?”

“We’ve got them both; the Captain’s been injured, the Decca Commander died on the floor. Looks like he stepped in front of the Captain when the blast occurred, medics are here treating the Captain and she has a cluster of data crystals clutched in her right hand.”

Silence filled the bridge… the Captain injured the Exec dead … the tactical officer rose from her seat and moved towards the center seat hesitantly. From the bridge doors a voice said.

“I can take command temporally we are short handed as is, I can interface with the ship and I know you well enough…”

“With all due respect Cadet Lynn, although this is your training cruise you’ve not been certified…”

“I understand but as I said before we are short handed I’ll co – ordinate, you run the ship, agreed?”

The tactical officer returns to her seat and Shawn Lynn takes the captains chair.

“Three minutes Captain; almost clear of the field.”

“KO ship to ship video is now possible.”

“Open the link I want to talk to them.”

The link opens and…

“Commander, the Captain’s been injured the Exec is dead. We’ve got the data crystals from the ship and no way to read them.”

“What happened…?”

“We retrieved thirty – four survivors from the flagship and took them home for medical care. Katra Bebaus was among the survivors but she was in pretty bad shape… there were conflicting stories about what happened aboard the ship so the Captain went over to access the AI and retrieve it’s data logs. Something went wrong aboard the ship there was an explosion and… that’s where we are… seeing you’re here I’ll guess you received the Captains message.”

KO stood listening to the report, seeing him in that chair; she knew someday it would happen but not this soon. Composing her thoughts she asked?

“Is the Captain conscious? Can we talk with her?”

“She’s just coming out of surgery, they removed a piece of the ship from her side... the doctor said she’ll recover. I’ll let you know when she is awake.”

Listening in on the conversation Kiri Bebaus comes to a conclusion, leaning back in her seat she addresses the ceiling and reflects.

“My sister’s at Shahrazad and hopefully safe… someone booby trapped her ship and if it had been us instead of those from Shahrazad we’d would have died, there would have been no way to escape the explosion. Given what I’ve heard, I’m not obeying the orders I’ve been given.”

Taking a second she lowers her head and says.

“Disperse the fleet; put a lot of distance between ships. If someone out there is going to take pot shots at us, I want as few targets in an area as possible.”

The data stream from Illusion updated. Cassandra stood motionless while she watched the conversation between her brother and KO… Grandmother was injured the Decca Commander was dead… someone had us targeted but didn’t have the nerve to show themselves. Sobbash’s hand fell on her shoulder looking back she smiled and said.

“Glad mom’s not here she’d be in a panic about now… not that I’m calm but you said it earlier I have to trust to experience. Given my brothers genetic makeup I know he’ll be alright it’s not like he’s out there all alone is he?”

“They’ll be fine, we need to find out who our enemy is and figure out a way to defeat them. We were discussing a possibility which I’d like to run by you then pass on to KO. Remember when we were first experimenting with the current generation of ships. How we slipped into the Sord event horizon and when we fired out of the Sord…

“We were invisible yet were able to target and fire… but only in one direction out of the Sord… do you figure that…”

“Our foe might be hiding dimensionally? Wouldn’t be the first time, but it would be the first time they could fire into this space and hit something.”

“I’m following you yet how could they do it?”

“That’s what KO needs to figure out we’ll put our resources to it but she’s there and we’re not. Understand?”

“Yeah, what a headache.”

“Cassandra it comes with the job.”

Meanwhile aboard the Suran flagship the commanding Admiral has just finished a conversation with his queen.

“Captain we’re staying, inform the ambassador he’s to remain on the surface until the present crisis is over.”

“Yes sir… Admiral, might I ask, why are we staying here and not heading to the Dorian system?”

“Her Highness feels strongly that another attack will befall the planet and we are to help repel said attack.”

“Oh? You realize if it’s a dreadnought it’ll be like firing pea shooters at the sun.”

“Pea shooters or not we’re staying there is no further discussion.”

“Aye, Aye Sir.”

The Admiral leaves and the Captain thinks to himself.

“Fifty ships certainly Her Highness knows we don’t have that many resources to waste, however if we were to land a decisive blow then… it’s all too risky but those decisions lie far above my pay grade.”

“What the hell hit me...? Decca Commander, are you there?”

“Doctor she’s awake. Captain, settle down the Doctor’s on his way.”

Plakia opened her eyes and focused once again, ‘oh yes medical bay how could I have…’ She drifted off, and then awoke again. This time the Doctor was at her bed side.

“What happened? Why does my side hurt so?”

“There was an explosion a piece of the ship was embedded in your side. I’ve removed the piece and you’ll be fine in a week or so…”

“Where’s the Decca Commander?”

“I’m sorry Captain he didn’t survive the explosion, it looks like he stepped between you and the device at the last moment.”

“I see who’s in command?”

“Cadet Lynn has assumed command.”

Plakia tries to sit up and is restrained by the nurse…

“Now Captain you don’t want to open up my pretty incision do you?”

“The boy has so little experience how…”

“He’s done well Kenesh and Dai are tutoring him as we speak.”

“We’ve rejoined the fleet? Data Crystals…”

"Relax Captain Crystals are aboard Illusion KO reading them now and the combined Abh fleet is holding position on the other side of the system. I don’t think Kiri Bebaus wants to interfere with our investigation. You did well Captain now get some rest.”

‘Some rest, yes it’s been a long day I…’ with that she drifted off once again.

Tara paced the room as a lioness would; the pre arranged communications was several hours late. Gazing at the time piece on the wall she began to think the worst had occurred. It was then a communications link opened and a familiar face greeted hers.

“Listen carefully, no time for questions and answers. Infiltrating as a technician was a stroke of brilliance. There are two ships, one sailed before I could do anything about it. The other suffered a fuel ‘poisoning’ which has left its reactors inert. However I had to use the explosion to ‘fake’ my death so I could escape. I’m on Triton VI in the Lobnas system the shuttle is in bound as soon as I feel I’m safe I’ll transmit further details.”

The timestamp on the message indicated it was five hours old the amount of time it would have taken to arrive via the ‘normal’ communications route. Once aboard the shuttle, communications would be almost instantaneous. Five hours, just about enough time to leave Triton IV and get clear. Pouring a glass of ale Tara waited. Half way through the glass the link opened again.

“I’ll rendezvous with the third fleet in one hour. Tara you need to get forces to the third moon about Lobnas that’s were the second ship is located. I figure they’ll need one solar day to get the ship operational right now it’s defenseless a sitting duck as Ekuryua would say.”

“I’ll pass the information along to Shahrazad what you need to know is the first ship has been extremely busy since it left port. It’s taken aim on Doras, attacked and done damage to the Abh fifteenth fleet and there was an attack launched at Shahrazad. The Abh are down at least fifty ships and they have been unable to track their foe.”

“Tracking that ship will be difficult but not impossible, the attack upon Shahrazad those were decoy ships equipped with weapons salvaged from a third ship. It was so badly damaged that repairing it was out of the question however, crap! Its reactors were still operational… if they swap units the second ship could almost be operational… damn it I screwed up!”

“Minchi, why didn’t you communicate this information sooner?”

“It was impossible sis; we were watched constantly I had to ‘fake’ my death to finally get clear. The person running the show, she’s one tough cookie and no dummy. Had she been there instead of commanding the first ship the explosion would have never happened, sorry Tara I did the best I could given the situation.”

“I want you to communicate everything you have to KO… take the third and help her stop this menace because you need to know there are those in the Alliance who feel we have had a hand in what is transpiring.”

“Did our smart assed ambassador open her mouth again?”

“She was going to but I placed the fear of a cold death in her head, she did as instructed.”

“Then I need to get with KO this ought to be interesting given our last venture together.”

“I have faith in you and try not to come home escorted again.”

“Yeah thanks for reminding me… I’ll keep in touch.”

Analysis of the data crystals continued, KO was conferring with Cassandra…

“I’ll let you know Katra’s uncle just arrived. Katra is out of surgery and Saio says she’ll recover. He’s with Sobbash and I really wished you had better information to give me.”

“I do in a way I want you to gather the survivors and announce we’ve recovered the data crystals and hold no detail back. Someone is going to get very nervous and I think I know who that person is…”

“KO emergency communication from the commander of the Zon third fleet on stand by and scrambled.”

“Cassie I’m leaving the link open let’s see what Minchi has on her mind.”

“Open the link Sarah.”

The main viewer comes to life and image of two dreadnoughts appears with Minchi’s voice in the back ground.

“Thirty hours ago those were sighted in the Lobnas system one ship has departed and I understand caused considerable damage. The second ship had a reactor failure and sits dead about the third moon of Lobnas. I need you help in removing one threat from the universe.”

KO motions to Sarah to mute the link addressing Cassandra she said…

“Thirty hours, damn, Minchi knew about this before the first attack… why didn’t their ambassador say something about this? Okay I’m going along with Minchi, taking out one of two beats having two on the loose. Notify the Alliance and the Abh of my decision and press our previous issues in fact make sure a certain uncle is present… sorry to dump this in your lap but…

“Stop talking and go get them KO that’s what I pay you to do.”

“Captain the log is translated do you wish to view it?”

“Not at this time send a copy to Defiance and instruct them to deliver it to Shahrazad at once.”

“Understood full copy transfer complete Defiance acknowledges and is leaving for Shahrazad.”

*”KO what’s up you just sent Defiance packing?”
“Minchi just sent us a surprise; on visual and I wanted Defiance out of the picture.”
Two of them you’re…
“I wish, one of them is on the loose, the other disabled about Lobnas. We’re meeting with Minchi and taking that one down.”
I understand sending the boy off but…
“I know we’ll need the ship, there are orders for Noel to take command and meet us at Lobnas. Plakia’s injured, the boy, anything happens to him and Lafiel will NEVER forgive me. It should all work out… I hope.”
Dai and I are with you lets mosey thata way.”*

Orders arrived shortly before Defiance did, a momentary argument ensued and Noel accepted her fate however there was one other issued KO hadn’t planned for.

“I won’t have an Exec; you got one of those up your sleeve?”

Before Cassandra could answer a voice from behind them said…

“Reporting for duty Captain.”

Dawn Dorin entered into view and continued.

“Sobbash said you’d need an XO that fit your disposition. I believe I’m that person and since I’m the only one available, I AM that person, shall we go Captain?”

Begrudgingly Noel left for the space dock with Dawn by her side. Arriving shortly after Defiance, they saw Cadet Lynn. He was accompanying Plakia, from the transport gurney she spoke to Noel and Dawn.

“You take good care of my ship and crew put one scratch in it…”

“And I’ll look forward to you taking your vengeance on me… Plakia get well, we’ll take good care of everything, now if you’ll excuse us.”

Boarding the ship Noel found KO facing her via a video link.

“We’re about to meet up with the Zon. Orion has already plotted a course all you have to do is punch a button and get here.”

From the center seat Noel said…

“Dawn punch the button and let’s go I hate being late for the party.”

Defiance left in a bolt of blue, Plakia commented to Shawn.

“My ship, someone else has it, you worry…”

“Grandmother not to worry if it was my ship I know it’s in good hands.”

“I hope your right I do so hope.”

Aboard Samson Eliana had just watched the exchange between KO and Noel. Opening a data pad she started entering data. Moving to the helm she moved the helmsman aside and entered a course. Moving to the tactical station she took readings of the weapons state and finally from the engineering position she got a full report on the ship. Returning to her seat she continued to compile data, finally a curious Exec asked the question all on the bridge were wondering.

“Captain, are you planning on doing something rash?”

Unphased by his question Eliana continued to work on her pad. In what seem like a finishing move she turned off the pad and left the bridge. Making her way to engineering, she and the chief engineer had a long discussion, the data pad activated the entire time. Exiting the engineering department she headed to her cabin.

En-route Minchi came clean about everything that had happened. She also mentions her error in not disabling the salvage ship and there might be the possibility the second ship could be partially operational when they arrived. None of this sat well with KO but the prospect of taking one down by surprise was too tempting to let go.

“Time to intercept?”

“Eleven minutes, Defiance is six minutes behind us; the combined Abh fleets still remain in the Dorian system. I have the Zon fleet on the screen.”

Twenty first-line Zon warships appear on the viewer lead by Minchi’s brightly decorated flagship. KO watched as they head into the Lobnas system. The plan of attack is rather straight forward. The Zon rush the area between the moons and in the confusion the Shahrazad fleet opens up on the dreadnought. Running late Defiance will cover their backs, once the damaged dreadnought is out of commission, the search for the operational one will commence. There were too many variables and Orion had been voicing his hesitation which KO overruled.

“Captain at least let me launch a probe there may have been enemy movements in the past six hours since there was reliable scanning also if the ship is operational.”

“All right already launch the damn probe but we’ll be in combat before it gets into position.”

Eliana along with central command were listening to Illusions data with great interest. KO was rushing headlong into an uncertain battle assuming she had a tactical advantage. Eliana did not share her assessment of the situation and had moved to the bridge. Sitting in her seat she began to communicate first with the defense fleet then the Suran admiral. A conversation the bridge crew couldn’t hear plainly. Bringing the Lobnas system up on the main viewer she began to follow KO movements very closely. Although there was a fifteen second lag in the actual positions the projected course kept automatically updating.

Lobnas was a junk yard several decades of failed pirate attacks and plundered pirate bases left it a dirty system debris was strewn about the system this made it an excellent place to hide something from the prying eyes of sentry satellites but it also gave cover incase of attack. Constantly moving, the masses of debris were hard to track and almost impossible to scan. You could almost hide a fleet in that system and no one would be the wiser. KO was planning on using this to her advantage but…

“Captain, their course is taking them into a very dense debris field; we are going to have trouble tracking them.”

“For the moment, don’t worry about them; access the net I want to see what’s going on system wide.”

“As you wish Captain could you share with us this sudden interest in something happening…?”

“NO, end of discussion!”

Zon warships engaged picket ships and KO found the dreadnought. Their shields were operational and there was a brief exchange of fire between the ships how ever a combined salvo rendered it inert scanning the area Orion said.

“Initial analysis indicates this ship was of the same vintage as the ones that attacked the planet. Additionally on the moon I’ve found a supply base I suggest we render it useless as well.”

KO wanted a detail scan before its destruction if there was anything useful she wanted it in hand before the rest was destroyed. An AI probe was launched at the surface it was shortly after that the first salvo stuck Illusion.

“Shields at forty percent we can’t take another hit like that.”

Leo status report.”

“We’ve been hit no physical damage but shields and weapon systems are damaged, the rest of the fleet suffers from the same malady. The Zon are retreating to Lobnas II and regrouping. They’ve suffer similar damage yet they weren’t the target, we were. Lastly I have no idea where the attack originated from the sensors never registered a thing. But I can tell you I believe we’ve found the operational dreadnought it’s uncloaking off our stern, range one million meters.”

“Captain we’re being hailed.”

“On screen.”

The screen comes to life a woman appears and there is shock and silence on the bridge. Outside of a slight difference in hair color and build, she could pass for Ariel’s twin. Sarah studies her closely as she is about to speak, when the woman starts talking.

“I am Doral daughter of Dustain; I wanted you to know who your executioner was going to be. You killed my father and now I shall exact my revenge.”

*“Is anybody operational?”
“Sorry KO, Dai and I never saw it coming… Noel’s… I don’t know where she is.”
“We’re on emergency backups, Defiance’s couplings have failed.”

To Be Continued In: A Taste of Revenge

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."