74_The Silent Society

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

74_The Silent Society

Post by Diaho »

The Silent Society

"Mom, Dad, can you meet me at construction bay six in fifty five minutes, it's urgent."

Lafiel walked outside, found Jinto and played Cassandra's message. Not a word was said as the entered the hover car and headed to the far side of the Village where the construction bays were. Stopped by security outside of bay six, Cassandra greeted them.

"I'm glad you are here, we're waiting for Samson to arrive once aboard I'll explain more, but for now please be patient."

Lafiel reached for Jinto's hand and grasped it firmly. She looked at Cassie and smiled but said nothing.

Ships log Pegasus: Noel Ekuryua recording. Something is wrong, KO is ahead of us and although we're keeping pace I can't see why the rush. I know some how Samson's sudden departure plays a part but… Marjee's been the last hour going over with Pegasus the results of our scans. Kenesh, Dawn and Plakia trail us yet, we'll still arrive planet side with in thirty minutes of each other. However KO's in a hell bent hurry."

"Noel? Oh Noel?"

Marjee's voice rang across the bridge. Returning to the here and now, Noel moved towards where Marjee was sitting.

"What's up? Find something interesting?"

"I did, but confusing would explain it better, have a look at this."

The metallurgy of the ship was on the display. Several elements were highlighted. When Noel saw them she said.

"Space based metals and very sophisticated. This was no remote planetary system that produced this; however I've never seen that combination before. Dense yet pliable, in reality, I wonder what Lily would think of this. Have you figured out the main power reactor? I know there were few pieces left."

Marjee opened the next display and said.

"That's what got me confused it's a simple proton based pulse reactor. No wonder they had to make a fuel stop but the ship itself was generations ahead of its power unit. I mean it's like placing a shuttle engine in this vessel. I'm stumped."

Samson arrived and was immediately lower below ground. As the overhead doors closed the main docking hatch opened and a rattled Eliana greeted them by saying.

"We're heading to shuttle bay three that's where the items in question are stored. I'm transferring the rest of the items to the hospital in the Village. Saio knows everything about those heading to her but…"

They arrived at the shuttle bay and entered the door. Two cryo tubes sat in the middle of the bay. Raising the internal lights Lafiel said.

"Dead Abh's, we killed Abh's? What the hell were they doing with that bunch?"

Moving toward the far tube Lafiel stopped in her tracks. The collar insignia and shoulder patch, no way, not possible.

"Jinto come here; please tell me my eyes are deceiving me."

Jinto approached Lafiel looked and shook his head taking Lafiel's hand and turning toward Cassandra he said.

"An Admiral in the Emperor's Private Guard, I wonder what kind of business they were involved in. That aside Lakfakalle is missing a flag officer; it's not going to be long before the Empire misses her. Do we have any idea who she is and who the other one is?"

Eliana handed Jinto a data pad and said.

"They were related; at least a seventy nine percent genetic match however there is no record of their gene pattern in the official database."

Lafiel took the pad from Jinto, studied carefully and said.

"Those two won't be in any database, Jinto remember when we were last in the Capital what I said about those troopers?"

"Yeah you called them imperial constructs, is my memory correct?"

"It is and I doubt they'll be missed, officially that is, somebody somewhere will know they're overdue, It will depend on how important what they were up to is, what kind of response is mounted. Monitor the official frequencies and run a complete test on that DNA there should be a flag imbedded dictating where the first sample was from… I'll guess one of the founding families; their DNA was pure enough to make that process possible."

Confused Eliana went to ask for details it is then Lafiel stopped her and said.

"Not here nor now, I only want to explain this once, Cassandra gather all senior officers in… is bay four empty?"

Moving to the information panel Cassie access it and says.

"Four is empty, why a construction bay why not…"

"An above ground facility… no… what I have to say I want to keep to the assembled group. There is zero chance of being overheard in a bay… when I say what is on my mind it'll all make sense, for now gather everyone in bay four as soon as possible."

Cassandra approaches Eliana and says.

"Go aboard; contact the fleet and have them meet in bay four, I'll get with Sari and round up the rest."

Cassie and Eli leave; Lafiel and Jinto head down the corridor to bay four. On the way Jinto says.

"I've known you for a long time; I've seen you happy, sad, stressed, and grieving, but I've never seen you this focused on something before. This really has you shaken…"

"Shaken to my very roots Jinto, even if Saio had told me my days were numbered I'd not be as upset as I am right now. I know you have an idea, hold on to it because I'm going to expand on it in ways you've never imagined possible."

They entered the bay, brought the environmental systems on line and waited.

Aboard Samson Eliana composed a straightforward message to the fleet and command staff it said.

'Upon arrival proceed to construction bay number four this order applies to all command staff and aides.'

Meanwhile Sari was rounding up the planet based personal and instructing them where to go. Finished; she joined Cassandra and made her way to the construction bay. It was then that Mirage arrived entered bay five and off loaded the fleet commanders and aides. KO led the group, spotted Cassandra and made a direct line towards her. Knowing what was coming she stood still pointed at KO and said loud enough for all to hear.

"Not here, not now, proceed to the bay and ALL questions will be answered I guarantee it."

They entered the bay, the door was secured, and Lafiel addressed them.

"What you hear here does not leave this room, the penalty for disobedience will be death, that is how serious what I'm about to share is. Samson returned with some of the crew of the shuttle that escaped the planet. Among those aboard were at least two Abh's of engineered creation. Let me explain, thanks to the wars, the numbers of Abh's have declined sharply. This has adversely affected the Star Forces. When the realization finally hit home, no matter how many from the 'satellite worlds' were conscripted, there was going to be a drastic shortfall, a scientific solution was devised 'construct cloning' or 'mass replacements', your choice the results are the same."

The room murmured, several gathered started to sense where Lafiel was going with this conversation and it wasn't setting well with them. Undaunted Lafiel continued.

"While I can not tell you exactly how this science was developed I can, with the limited knowledge, explain why those we found aboard pose a danger greater than the weapons we just seized. We have an Admiral and at the moment we are assuming her aide, bearing the insignia of Emperor's Private Guard. One thing that's for sure they were related and it won't be long before someone notices they are missing."

That was the straw, Kenesh and Dai approached Lafiel knowing what had happened, they were going to interject their wisdom; unfortunately Lafiel was two steps ahead of them.

"Save your words, what to do with the bodies, two, actually three choices. Interments here, send them to space, or return them to the Empire. The latter choice while logical is not efficient, the first question will be 'how did you wind up with two dead Abh's' a question which we could answer truthfully, however if the Empire is involved with the arms dealers, we've tipped our hand. Sending them to space poses the problem of what happens when they are recovered, more questions than answers. The same holds true for planting them here, someone is bound to find them and…"

Plakia was listening to Lafiel with great intent, when the subject of disposition of the bodies was raised she had one other idea which although abhorrent to Abh's was a possibility which she expressed as best she could.

"We could cremate them and scatter their ashes to the winds, it's not unusual for people to vanish in space, vanish without a trace."

Cassandra was standing alongside Lafiel when Plakia said what she did. Cremating was common among those in the Village which made the facilities accessible, however someone would still know. That's when Doctor Sasoum came forward and said.

"If you're considering that, consider this, I can certify the remains contaminated and wrapped them accordingly. They'll be no questions from the Council or those at the facility; it's not the first time we've had to do this although I hope it's the last time given the circumstances."

Lafiel agreed with the doctor, turned to Cassandra and said.

"With that decided you want to get to the rest of this meeting?"

Cassandra moved to the forefront activating the service bay's display she turned this part of the conversation over to Marjee and Lily who explained the following images.

"In going over the inventory of the ships cataloged we found something rather interesting. About thirty percent of them contain a metal that was formed in space. We are in the process of reverse engineering it to find its base elements in order to determine what possible part of the universe it might have come from. Knowing that we can send a expedition figuring there might be residual stockpiles… also if we figure out who made this it would be nice to see if one, they're still alive and two, if alive can they be allies or…"

Marjee stopped Lily there, helping her to a chair she continued.

"Not ignoring what was said I'd like to add the following, the technology we found can be divided into three categories:
Current tech that is known to us; ancient tech that history mentions, and tech from unknown sources, most of those technologies are very advanced compared to our current knowledge. Finding its source would be preferable, figuring out how to defend against it that's a given, who has any of it … good question."

Cassandra asks Doctor Sasoum to comment on those in hospital.

"We have four individuals, two in a coma, critically injured, two unconscious yet uninjured. One thing is certain they all come from the same world; Arsis IV there is no doubt in our minds about that. However questioning will have to wait, it can be assumed like the aforementioned bodies we have, someone is going to miss these four and the vessel they were aboard."

Cassandra stops the doctor there, looking towards Eliana she notices she's still in the scrambled link with Vekk. Moving to her she says.

"Are you close to being finished?"

"Getting the last bit of data now, can I have a moment to review before I present it?"

"Sure, I was planning on a closing but I can do middle then close after you're done."

Leaving Eliana, Cassandra moves to the display and projects an image of the sector in question and says.

"Arsis IV; Marjee's been there, we've scanned it a couple of times, outside of that we know little about it with one exception, they don't like outsiders, so why were there Abh's aboard? The first of many questions, what to do, Eliana has been conversing with Vekk gathering the final data concerning the planet we discovered, and the cache of ordinance contained therein. Those on the planet have been taken to Doras; enroute questioning has yielded little new information…"

Eliana approached Cassandra who stopped speaking and moved aside. Placing a data chip in the viewer Eliana said.

"I'm sorry this took longer that we figured; we now have a full inventory of what was planet side. I'll hit the highlights, the rest, I'll share the data after I'm finished and you can view it at your leisure. Ordinance stockpiled on the planet was a mixture of obsolete, yet very deadly, and some of the finest ordinance from the past century. The Suran's will salvage what's usable and destroy the rest. Vessels, a Hodgepodge of known and unknown, this is going to take months if not years to fully catalog. There were dreadnoughts, none operational but given the number unless the same thing kept them from operating, getting some if not all operational is not out of the question, the best examples are to be studied the rest destroyed. That goes for the balance of warships. Transports and non fighting vessels; we know there has been a shortage if these can be repurposed they will, if not they will be salvaged or destroyed. Data taken from the planetary servers show a long series of expeditions to places we are yet unable to ascertain. The navigational maps used do not conform to anything in existence, they've yet to find the key they used to overlay current mapping to what's been discovered. So presently we have no idea where they've been, not yet that is."

Images of the depot planet are displayed; it's an awesome sight, as the presentation finishes Cassandra says.

"Where do we go from here? I've given it quite a bit of thought while the fleet was enroute. Barreling to Arsis IV is out of the question. Placing resources and observing the system that seems the logical progression. Once we're finished here I'd like to meet with senior staff we need to decide what to tell the Council and then decide on how to implement observation of Arsis IV. Now I want this understood, Lafiel said it earlier and I want to reiterate it once more. Everything that's been said stays here, if any of this surfaces, without direct authorization of my office, heads will roll, literally. All except senior staff are dismissed, senior staff in the Command Center thirty minutes from now, if you please."

As the balance of the group left KO made a beeline to Cassandra with Marjee closely behind her. Confronting Cassandra KO said.

"All questions answered, no, there is one you didn't address and I'll ask it now. Why did you put Eli in command of that mission? WHY?"

Marjee had sensed the anger welling up in KO she also knew KO had a violent streak, as Cassandra tried to side step the question KO tried to go off, it was Marjee who stopped her.

"KO, stop, look how angry you are, and you haven't figured out why Eli got the nod?"

Misdirected anger was heading Marjee's direction and she handily redirected. KO wound up on the deck facing skyward, uninjured but extremely embarrassed.

"Get up, and cool off. You're still more experienced in many things I'm weak on but you know I abhor violence in any form."

Marjee helped KO to her feet they left the room, observing from a distance the rest of the command officers were amazed with how Marjee handled KO. Sari moved to Cassandra and they left, they were about to exit to the surface when Saio and Doctor Sasoum stopped them Saio spoke.

"Something we need to discuss is Scholar, we, um she, asked us to help with regeneration, it… it's not going as planned…"

Saio stopped and choked up, it was the Doctor who finished.

"The physical regeneration went well; she managed to knock almost seventy years off. It's my opinion that trying to go all out she's run out of what ever it is that makes regeneration possible. She's in a support tube all physical life signs are excellent but there seems to be little brain function on the higher levels. I… we don't know what to do, Mia is with her constantly, she's convinced Scholar will wake up… we're not so sure, thought you'd better know so if things don't work out you'll know why."

Cassandra stood solemn; stunned, it was Sari that asked one question.

"Regeneration, that's never happened on this world, her last time was on Sol Eros, am I correct?"

"You are but I don't see what that has to do with…"

"What if, there was something on Eros that exists here but not in … how do I put it … it's not strong enough or plentiful enough to finish what was started…"

"Nuts, Saio remember that list of items Scholar had on her desk… I wonder?"

"It's worth a try what have we got to lose."

Saio and the Doctor excused themselves and left in a rush. Cassandra looked at Sari and said.

"Where did that stroke of brilliance come from?"

"I… I don't know… suddenly there was this voice in my head and…"

"Telepathy, from this distance, remarkable, Scholar you are truly remarkable."

Sari looked strangely at Cassandra not realizing she had been an extension of Scholar. They left and headed to the Command Center Sari still trying to figure out what had just happened.

A report just crossed Vekk's desk, a transport was just intercepted trying to orbit the former weapons planet. Captured intact, the occupants tried to resist but were outgunned by a superior force. Bypassing Alliance headquarters and his own fleet command, Vekk opened a link directly to Cassandra. At the Command Center Cassandra took Vekk's communication.

"Vekk, what can I do for you?"

"We've captured a transport trying to orbit the former depot… the crew consisted of… I'm sending you a list; it's quite impressive I must say."

Opening the data the list is displayed on her tablet. Scanning it she says.

"A who's who of those known to have a beef with either the Alliance or the Empire, Vekk I'm thinking that our capture of the depot has not become common knowledge. With that I wonder what may arrive in the future. Do you have sufficient forces in the area just incase something 'big' shows up to take delivery?"

"Before you mentioned it, no, now that you've broached the subject I'm sending the fifth division from Demos to the area, it'll take them eight hours to get there, do you have any assets in the area?"

"Unfortunately not, however, if necessary, we could be there in four hours if we launched now."

"You just returned from there, don't you people ever rest? Go over the list see if you find something we haven't. Also the Alliance and my fleet command are unaware of this conversation or the data you have. Let's keep this 'in house' for the time being."

"I understand the 'bitter taste' you're experiencing but we can't keep this secret for long we'll need to forward it and soon or what little faith we've managed to restore we'll dump into a black hole. Understand what I'm saying Vekk?"

"I do governor and you're correct I do not trust many around me. Guess it's time for a leap of faith, however if it turns sour we'll have to reconsider our positions again."

"Keep me apprised I'll leave this link on standby until told differently, good luck Vekk."

The link goes to standby. Cassandra motions to Sari, as she arrives she's shown the list and Cassandra says to her quietly.

"Take a copy of this, give it to Seelnay have her go through it and use her contacts to ferret out all the information about those souls. Then find Gwen have her meet me in the royal gardens, alone. We need to settle a bunch of differences. Lastly have the fleet rearmed and refueled, keep tabs on the crews no one is to leave the area… then have Eliana meet me after I've spoken with Gwen… oh should Vekk contact us, no matter where I am or what I'm doing patch him through."

Sari leaves, Cassandra approaches Lafiel handing her the list she explains where it's from and asks her to keep it safe. She also informs Lafiel of her plans and finishes by saying.

"We are the same and can be very different in the same breath. I'm going to have it out with Gwen something I know is overdue. I'm letting you know this just incase something goes awry. Also that list, you and dad look at it, if you see anyone you recognize tell Sari, I shouldn't be long… I hope…"

Cassandra heads to the Garden, Gwen is waiting for her. The conversation starts slowly and gains in intensity as Cassandra argues that joint governance should be the goal. Gwen counters with Cassandra's hands off approach; saying she's never in control, relies too much on those around her to complete a task. We pick the conversation with Cassandra addressing Gwen.

"Opinions matter; you do listen to the Council don't you? What I'm asking for is cooperation, not confrontation, unless you're comfortable with our present adversarial relationship because I'm not and neither is the Alliance. I'm willing to let what happen recently be a line that shouldn't be crossed again, however we either bury the hatchet, or find a completely different way to govern. I'm willing to discuss options, if you have none at the moment that's fine go and consult with the others, but, I plan on continuing to investigate the present crisis with or without you help. Unlike recently, I will share openly what's been discovered and if we can't reach a consensus, with as many minds that are involved, I find that hard to fathom."

"Cassandra recent events were not of my doing; however I lead the Council so I will take responsibility for their actions. We've had common ground before; I believe we can have it again, with that said maybe we overreached, deciding daily planetary affairs should be our prime responsibility, while you take care of defense and space based issues. Can we agree on that and expand in future conversations?"

"I'm willing to continue… I ask do you want to know what our investigation has uncovered so far."

"I do, but in report form, not verbally, submit it when you have time. I'm going back to the Council and explain our conversation. I'll be in touch, now if you will excuse me."

Gwen departed, Cassandra was partially satisfied, Gwen was interested but wasn't going to be controlling, at least that's what she had understood, however a bit of caution might be in order. Contacting Sari she proceeded to where Eliana was waiting for her. Approaching the area it would seem Eli had gained an accomplice. Marjee stood alongside her, as Cassandra drew nearer Eli said.

"I brought Marjee with me because of the conversation we had about Arsis IV, it would seem she's got more information than we originally realized, she actually spent a month there five years ago and her observations… well I'll let her explain."

Marjee started to speak and Cassandra politely stopped her by saying.

"The reason you're here is that Vekk's forces intercepted a transport trying to orbit the former depot. All aboard were apprehended the ship confiscated and the list of those aboard… there are many interesting persons… follow me, you need to view this list then you'll understand."

Heading for the Command Center Cassandra receives a message from Vekk; his excitement level is rather high as Cassie opens the link.

"Follow up information, it would seem one of those aboard was a courier, we found a data unit imbedded… well we had to surgically remove the item. Once removed it contains a wealth of information and the hierarchy for an organization on Arsis IV. Unfortunately the courier is dead, committed suicide once the data had been removed, a hollow fang with fast acting poison. There, I hate to admit we were pretty sloppy. We are examining the body and will know shortly where they were from, if it's in our database, if not I'll forward the results to you for your people to study. Also I'm sending a copy of the data from the device to your command personnel you should have it shortly."

The link closed Cassandra was dumbfounded, Eli confused and Marjee uttered…

"The Order of the Galactic Horizon, it would not surprise me if those words were somewhere in the data Vekk has retrieved."

Cassandra's interest was peaked, entering the Command Center finding an empty conference room Cassie asked Marjee to relate what she had said to Eli.

"Let me start by saying it's a mostly poor and underdeveloped planet, at least it was when I was there five years ago. It was during the last days I was there, upon arrival I was assigned transportation and a guide. I saw a lot of the planet while I was there trying to find sites for power generation stations. Being a nomadic race their idea of a village was somewhere between ten and one hundred residents and scattered over several square kilometers of land. An engineering nightmare and after three weeks financially infeasible, my last week was spent in the largest city, the city of the all powerful and wealthy."

"There were approximately seven to ten thousand residents, with the city covering thirty to fifty square kilometers of some of the best land on the planet. It was here that I found the real reason for my visit... the city was power starved; It took me a day to figure out why. On the northern edge of the city sat an enormous complex walled off from the rest of the planet. Several large solar arrays fed this complex and when it was needed power from the city itself was taken. That ended up being most of the time. I was asked to either improve the arrays output or modify the city to run more efficiently. Nothing I could do would make any improvement. The problem lay behind the wall and when I inquired about it I found myself being shipped off world without any explanation. What they don't know is prior to asking, I gave my guide the slip, found a vantage point and observed what was behind the wall."

"What I saw was a complex decades ahead of what I'd seen elsewhere on the planet. Those who worked and lived behind the wall wore hooded gear… radiation proof ware I'm sure of it. Now was it to protect an alien race from the blistering environment of the planet, even I had to wear protective clothing and still received a rather nasty sunburn, or was it to protect them from what ever was occurring in the walled city. That I'll never know, what I do know was the engraved plaque that stood above everything else in that area it said. 'Welcome to The Order of the Galactic Horizon' that's all I know, but to sweep me up and ship me out with in an hour of my asking about that complex, it's not a textile plant that I'm sure of."

Eliana took note of the time and said.

"Command staff is just down the hall, I've recorded what Marjee said I think its time to do some planning."

With that Cassandra, Eliana and Marjee entered a planning session where the previous conversation was relayed to all present; we join the session after the conversation has ended. Cassandra is speaking.

"What I see going forward, is a recon mission, with Mirage taking the lead. That said repairs are underway and the chief engineer says at least three days until they're done. There is a shipping lane in fairly close proximity to Arsis IV. I would like to load observation equipment aboard a transport and send it on its way delivering its cargo here a remote Dorian outpost on the edge of the system. Once Mirage is operational have it head to said outpost and start operations from there. While that is occurring I have a list and data retrieval from Vekk we need to study."

"I'd like a two week time table, I know wishful thinking but we can't let this slide either. I've ordered the fleet rearmed and refueled, KO we're working on the communications snarl you presently have and Marjee you'll have probes and mines this trip out. A definite oversight on our part I'm sorry about that."

"Lastly Dai, you and Arisa have an appointment with Lily; I suggest you see her as soon as possible and report back to me when you are done. Everyone else, stay close, this may take the usual course and… I'll not say anymore, Dismissed."

The meeting adjourned standing by the exit was Robert; he pulled KO aside and asked her to return to Illusion, it would seem Leo was denying access to anyone wanting to tinker with his 'innards' with out the Captain around. KO left and Robert approached Eliana who had Marjee standing next to her and said.

"If you two have a moment there's something I'd like to show you."

They agreed and as they were leaving Dai approached Robert, stopping her at arms length he said.

"I have an idea of what she's going to say, however it's her conversation not mine and do remember she's still not a full strength, take your medicine and don't argue."

Not the answer Dai was looking for; she left the room with communications device in hand. Once outside and in the clear Arisa and another appeared before her, they headed to Lily's office. Eli took in the view; Marjee was more intrigued with Robert's statement as they headed to construction bay one. Entering the bay Robert brought up the lighting, sitting before them was...

"Robert it's beautiful." Marjee exclaimed.

"I figured you'd be a little more… um critical, but then I'm assuming you've seen this design before."

Berthed in an anti gravity field sat the newest design of star ship, the Samson class, a refinement of the present ship bearing his name. Taking to a hover platform Marjee starting inspecting the ship. Eli and Robert, on another platform, joined her. Taking in the larger picture Marjee said.

"Our father's dreams, you've made them reality, but looks aren't everything, what's it capable of?"

Moving to the hatch Robert opened it and entered, Marjee and Eli followed. Inside Robert brought the interior lighting on line. They were in engineering and…

"It's fully automated, this ship is fully autonomous?"

"Not fully, but as automated as Pegasus is, if not a little more, crew requirements are less than fifty, most of those support incase the system malfunctions or it takes battle damage. Marjee, our fathers design, married with the technology from Illusion have brought us to this and in less than a decade."

Marjee reached for a panel and Robert stopped her saying…

"I know the engineer in you wants to see everything all lit up but not yet, and Eliana by now you're probably confused as to why you are here, let me explain. One this ship has gone through its trails it will need a proper shake down, you've been chosen to do this for two reasons, one because you presently command a similar class vessel and two while you're getting familiar with this ship, your ship will be brought up to this specification. I figure six months in space dock the only reason we'll not be doing it here is…"

Robert led them back to the hover platforms and led them to a display. Bringing it on line it showed five more ships in various states of construction it was then he said.

"Fleet replacement plus, however we're slowing the construction until you find out how the cloak was negated. If it's major those five can be easily refitted and this one retro fitted if its minor the same applies. What you have seen must stay here only a hand full of people knows about this project and we've kept the lid on tight. Marjee once you interface with Pegasus, you must impress upon it that what's in you head can not be decimated, especially KO can not know of this, not till we're ready. So go find the cause and we'll figure out the effects."

They left the area it was then Eli took Marjee somewhere private and said.

"There's about to be a storm, how severe I do not know. Its time I told someone far enough removed yet connected enough to understand about it. Marjee, Cassandra handed me total control of operations recently, this decision will not set well with KO although she can still be a co-commander I doubt she'll sit still for that."

"You and KO are telepaths and with that said are able to access ones thoughts, yet you'll know when KO or anyone else is trying. I on the other hand won't know till I'm confronted. You're still so new to all of this I really hate to ask but, can you keep an eye on KO?"

Marjee had sensed most of what Eli had said and realized how easy it was to…

"I'll help, with the understanding of what I sense from anyone, I'll judge if you need to know. I'm still new to my powers as well and I'll let no one abuse them especially myself. Does that answer your question?"

It did, and in a way it didn't, but at least Eli knew Marjee was going to be there, maybe not completely 'watching her back' but keeping a look out for trouble. For the time being that would have to suffice.

A Dorian transport arrived at the outpost adjacent to Arsis IV. Observation equipment was off loaded along with several Suran technicians, their job was to assemble and program the devices so once Mirage arrived they could be loaded aboard and placed around the planetary system. Their self-imposed deadline was sixty-six hours the time Mirage was expected to arrive.

Sari was at her desk as Dai, Arisa and a member of the engineering department entered the outer office. Dai turned to her and asked.

"Is she in? We were um requested to come by once we saw your mother."

"She's expecting you and since you still have your hide I think mother went easy on you."

"Might be your opinion, you weren't there, but we survived. We're going in."

The three of them entered Cassandra's office as the door closed Sari could hear Arisa say.

"I quit… I'm to the point in my life that I've had enough of space, its time for a change in the guard."

The door closed and Sari accessed the comm. panel in Cassie's office. The conversation continued with Cassandra saying.

"After talking to Seelnay this is not an unexpected move on your part, I'm assuming the quiet one with you is Hoi?"

"She is and if you know that then Seelnay ran her mouth a little too much. I guess the question is why her and not anyone else in the engineering department."

Dai's voice is heard next continuing by saying.

"I was surprised when I learned who Hoi was; I never figured you for the 'mother' type thou."

"I believe you people have been told a lot more than I figured. Okay you're correct biologically she is my daughter a fact I asked those around me who knew to keep secret, well so much for that, as far as experience goes she's on par, um actually she's better at a lot of things than I am."

As if on cue Hoi addresses them by saying.

"Let it be known that for the past six months I've been running the engineering department. It was my idea to open the grid to space and I just took responsibility for it. Let's say Lily was impressed with my effort and the criticism I received while constructive was also a fairly firm ass chewing. I'm ready to let mom retire, well if what she plans on doing you call retirement that said I understand it's up to you two to decide and I will abide with your decision."

Dai looked at Cassandra, the look was returned and orders were cut, Arisa, would retire and Hoi would take over.

Arriving at the repair bay Dawn was greeted with quite a surprise. The nacelle and hull section that were hit had been removed and a crew was replacing underlying structure. To her the; 'you'll be done in three days' was fading from view. Spying the construction chief she made a bee line in his direction, seeing her approach he moved to a table with parts removed from Mirage and said as she drew near.

"Just hold on missy, we were about to call you there's a problem that we just found… this is part of the nacelle cover and you recognize this as a titanium hammer, before you explode watch carefully."

Raising the hammer a mere twenty centimeters and striking the surface with a moderate blow the piece shattered. Dawn stopped short and took in the demonstration, the chief motioned to her to come closer as he continued.

"Notice at the point of impact the area not only broke but became a powder. This piece here, about thirty centimeters in diameter, watch as I impact it."

He raised the hammer once again and the result was the same. Handing Dawn the hammer he had her hit another piece the result was the same, returning to the other part of the nacelle he said.

"What ever hit or in this case made the glancing blow so disturbed your metallurgy that had you not run shields a small piece of anything had hit the ship and… you'd not be here to listen to what I have to say. Command is aware of our findings and I suggest you get with them to determine when you'll get the ship back. As far as I know we've managed to find all the damage and have fabricated replacement pieces. Assembly should be done in another day, I'll need a day or two to test the repair and then you can have it back. No sooner, pushing me or my crew will get you nowhere."

Asking for a container Dawn filled it half full of the powder from the ships nacelle and left the area. She headed directly to her mothers office there she received the first of several surprises she would receive that day. Entering she found Arisa, in civilian attire and Greta examining a spectroscopic image, she recognized it as a sample from her ship. Setting the container on Seelnay's desk she said.

"Here's what happens when you hit it with a hammer."

Placing her hand in the container, Seelnay took a sample and rubbed it between her fingers and said.

"You should try this it's like flour, smooth, it should be rough its metal, or it was… this is disturbing…what kind of sorcery did they use… Dawn I don't remember when the last time was but, daughter you're precious to me and seeing this… I realized just how close to losing you…"

Seelnay stopped as Dawn approached her, taking her daughter in her arms she said.

"Age makes one extra emotional, if this weapon is out in the universe and we didn't get all of them on the planet, you… the damage that this could inflict… just a few of these could decimate even the largest of fleets… Dawn, we're leaving shortly; Arisa, Greta and I, we're heading to the planet to examine what hit you, or correctly what glanced off you. We need answers, so if you run across that energy signature, you head for the hills because nothing we have can take a head on blow from that device… Daughter, be safe and I'll be in contact. Cassandra wanted you in her office should you happen to stop by so I've delivered the message, now go."

Dawn leaves, once gone from sight Arisa says.

"I retired to keep my feet on the ground, okay, given the present crisis I'm going back to space, but Seelnay dear, don't make a habit of this."

As they were getting ready to leave Greta took the container of powder divided into four smaller containers and placed them in her test kit, she'll run test on them while enroute, maybe there's an answer somewhere, she hoped.

Dawn entered Cassandra's office and Sari told her to go in, entering she found Marjee in a conversation with Cassandra, thinking she was interrupting she went to leave when Cassandra said.

"Come in, sit down, we were just discussing you, I'll bring you up to speed and then I want your honest comments. Your ship was damaged far beyond anyone's expectations, although repairs will be completed shortly, Dawn I'm temporally reassigning you. Given everything that happened; I need Noel planet side not only to keep Lily in check but her knowledge of this planet and it original inhabitants, we need to crack the reason for the damage you encountered. I'm sure you're aware that your mother and her investigation company are enroute to the former depot planet. The survey equipment is on the Dorian depot along with a Suran support team. How to get you there… If you'll accept, I'm assigning you to Pegasus as its XO. You and Marjee will execute the mission as planned; the reason Pegasus is more sophisticated than Mirage, so if you encounter the weaponry again your chances of survival improve markedly. That's all I have to say take your time to answer if you need to…."

Dawn closed her eyes for a moment, her expression changed from concern to relief as she opened her eyes and said.

"I accept, I was wondering how I was going to convince myself and my crew that we wouldn't find ourselves in the same position again. I'd like my tactical officer assigned, if its okay with you Captain, her skills and knowledge will be helpful on this venture I believe."

"It's Marjee, I can't accept the military terms, and I hope you'll not take offense if I address you and your tactical officer by your given names."

"I'll take no offense however my tactical officer is um Dorian, she'll answer to Commander but any other reference to her given or family name you'll get a lot of resistance from her, sorry Marjee that's how some Dorian military people are. I'm sure in your wanderings you've run across this at least once."

Moving to the display Marjee called up the service record of Dawn's tactical officer, reading it to the fifth line she stopped and said.

"You failed to mention her social status…"

"Social status has nothing to do with it; yes she's a Baroness from one of the founding families of Doras, that's not the problem. Looking at her given and family name how would you pronounce them especially in the heat of the moment, Commander fits her nicely, don't you think?"

Marjee looked at her name on the display with dismay, formal Dorian names to a non native speaker are nearly impossible to pronounce correctly. Marjee gave in, Commander it will be and with that the subject was closed.

The Seelnay had left the orbital space station an hour earlier, the ships original function was a fuel system repair and tender. Aboard was a sophisticated lab for the analysis of fuel tanks and their associated systems. Greta had started experimenting with the samples Dawn had brought to them. The first experiment was determining what this powder was; it was about an hour in process when Greta called Arisa to the lab arriving Greta said to Arisa.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the molecular structure of the metal that Mirage was constructed with?"

The three dimensional molecular chain was displayed; Arisa recognized it at once and confirmed it to be the metal in question. Moving to another display a much disorganized structure was displayed it was then Greta continued.

"That's the sample Dawn left with us, take a close look at this chain and you'll see what happened."

Arisa looks at the display with dismay, and then it hits her, seeing the look on her face change Greta says.

"How about that, centuries of age in seconds, if it was iron ore based what Dawn gave us it would have been rust, but since we're not iron based this is… remember that freighter that strayed too close to a neutron star and the damage we found… that strange powder in the fuel tanks… we never investigated it we just replaced the tanks. My theory is the powder was the baffles in the tank, something about the metal, fuel and neutron star aged the baffles… it's a theory I'll need to see what hit Dawn and we'll need to operate it, shoot it at a drone or two to confirm what I'm thinking… and of course I could be so far off base it's not funny too."

Arisa stood thinking, could it be this simple but how, was this an accident, or did those on the planet discover the ultimate weapon. They were five hours from the planet they'll keep this to them selves until they have more evidence.

Dawn, Marjee and the Commander arrived at Pegasus, checking in the ship properly pronounced the Commanders name which impressed the Commander but brought about the following response.

"Pegasus, it's Commander, no more and no less, will you honor my request?"

"Yes Commander, if I offended you accept my…"

"No need, just remember in future to address me as I requested."

"Yes Commander… Marjee, orders have arrived, I've plotted a course, ready to leave space dock on you command."

"Ladies have a seat, station master break hard moorings Pegasus station keeping."

"Marjee station master reports hard mooring released we are station keeping, ready to proceed on you command."

"Ahead slow, once clear proceed on course, set speed at factor five point two five."

"Space dock clear rolling to heading, we've cleared the gravitational field, accelerating to cruise speed in three, two one…"

Pegasus leaves space dock, turns towards the Dorian outpost and once clear of the planet vanishes in a purplish blur.

In the Village at a fancy café sat Eliana, Dai, Plakia and Kenesh. Their lunch remains litter the table the conversation was moving towards what to do next when Eli's creunoc became active Cassandra was on the other end with news.

"Pegasus just left, estimated arrival at the outpost, one solar day, what is you present situation?"

"We're all here, except KO she's aboard Illusion babysitting repairs. At last communication she was planning on disconnecting Leo and putting him out with the garbage. I think she was kidding, um maybe she was. I'm guessing we're sitting and waiting until Marjee gets the recon work done."

"Pretty much, we're sorting through the data Vekk sent if you guys are bored you can always come by and help."

"Speaking for all here we'll pass, a little calm boredom is relaxing, also I've had an impromptu Commanders meeting, everyone here is aware of your orders and I'll say the reaction was mixed but we've reach a working agreement, by the way Cassie I forgot to ask was this permanent or…"

"For the moment, consider it permanent... depends on how everything sorts out. But at the moment the disagreement I have with KO's recent actions has caused me to promote you."

"I see then that's that for now…"

"It is, I'll notify you if anything changes."

The link goes silent, it's Kenesh that speaks.

"KO is a brilliant commander, however her diplomacy it's like getting smacked in the face with a tree branch. I figured the last run in Cassie and KO had, was going to end this way, I'm still surprised that Cassie took the fleet from her. I'm glad that wasn't my decision to make."

That was the general thought around the table; however Eliana was pretty sure KO hadn't been properly notified, her reasoning, KO wasn't standing in front of her asking for her head.

To Be Continued….

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."