75_The Silent Society II

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

75_The Silent Society II

Post by Diaho »

The Silent Society II

"Ships log Illusion, KO recording: systems are slowly coming back online. Maintenance confirms the upgrade to the communications system was a success. As Leo comes on line he states that Pegasus is no longer in space dock and not showing up on any scans. I contact Command Center and I'm rerouted to Cassandra who informs me of a change in command. At first I'm furious, after some reflection, I'm actually relieved; I no longer have the responsibility for those vessels and the lives they contain. Retiring to my cabin I sleep better than I have in a long time… it's Eliana who disturbs my slumber."

"What do you want? I was trying to sleep."

"I wanted to discuss shared command…"

"There's nothing to discuss, you can have it with my blessings, now if you'll excuse me I was dreaming a wonderful beach scene and if I get back to it I think I can recover."

KO clicks the link shut and informs Lyra unless its emergency communications she's not to be disturbed. Fluffing her pillow KO enters sleep once again.

Eliana was in Cassandra's office when she contacted KO. The conversation made it out the door and to Sari's ears as well. The three of them sat in Cassie's office discussing the conversation.

"Cassie that wasn't … I mean I figured KO would be hostile, I guess the fleet commander's title just became mine?"

"Um, I guess, I wonder what happened… did KO finally snap before our eyes."

"I'll speak with my sister she'll tell me if that was the real KO or not. If you'll excuse me I'll be back shortly."

Sari leaves and Cassandra continues.

"Eli, I wonder if I made a…"

"Mistake? Don't think so, KO been acting strange for awhile even Kenesh took note of it. I say let it ride give it sometime. For the moment I'm comfortable with the position as long as I don't have to fight KO tooth and nail. We shall see some rest might change her opinion of things. Don't know. Was there anything in Vekk's data I should know about?"

"Still compiling it, what has me concerned is it's been three days and no one seems to be concerned about our missing folks. You'd think by now someone somewhere would be looking. You would think."

"Cassie this isn't a text book case either, hopefully Vekk found something or Pegasus will find something we can move on. This sitting around while relaxing, a new tension level is starting to rise, if you get my meaning."

"I understand, down time has always been difficult…"

"Cassie it's more than downtime, they know something is brewing out there and right now we're pretty helpless to stop it since we don't know what it is or where it might come from next."

"Eli, should I send you to space, heading in a general direction towards Arsis IV? Would that comfort the troops?"

Eliana was contemplating Cassandra's words when Sari entered the office she took a seat and said.

"Just finished with my sister, KO knows Pegasus is off somewhere, when asked KO told Orion not to waste energy looking for them after that she retired to her cabin, talked to us and then returned to sleep telling Lyra unless it was a bonafide emergency she wasn't to be disturbed."

"Sarah has taken over communications and will answer any inquires from the planet just not disturb KO unless it falls in her definition of an emergency. Basically sis said KO fumed then gave in and went to sleep with little conversation between them so that's where we stand."

"Fine let her be. Eliana; Seelnay, Greta and Arisa are about three hours from the depot they're going there to study a sample of the weapon system that clobbered Mirage, hopefully they'll find something Vekk's people didn't. I'll ask again do you want launching orders. Will being in space, bring comfort to the troops?"

"Hold off on that… I'll get back with you right now your office is becoming confining. I'll be in touch later."

With that Eli gets up opens a link to Kenesh asking if the group is still at the café, the answer is yes but they were considering leaving. Eli informs them to stay put that she'll be there shortly. The conversation ends as Eli leaves the office.

Confused Sari says to Cassandra.

"This is weird, I've pinched myself twice and I'm sure I'm not sleeping, but is this really happening?"

"Afraid so, get some rest the next day or two might get more interesting than it already is."

"I hope not don't think I can take anymore excitement."

Leaving the Command Center Eliana catches the transport tram about to leave the station. Boarding it and taking in the view as she heads to the Village she re cages a tumbling mind, focuses it on the matter at hand and is ready to converse with her commanders once she arrives. Making the short walk from the station to the café Eli spies Jasmine leaving a shop and says.

"If you're not busy I'd like you to join us."

A little stunned Jasmine accepts, when the round the corner and she sees who she's joining for a moment she becomes even more apprehensive something Plakia puts to rest by saying.

"We don't bite and you know we've all had our shots. Pull up a chair and join us will you."

Pulling up a seat she joins them it's Kenesh that starts by saying.

"I know this is out of the blue and you might know nothing about it but, how is Scholar doing?"

"All I can tell you is she's stable, you'll have to corner Doctor Sasoum or Saio if you want anymore information. Since we're asking questions I have one, where's KO?"

Eliana cleared her throat and said.

"Aboard Illusion quietly sleeping with a 'DO NOT DISTURB' sign posted."

A stunned look is apparent around the table, Dai summons up the courage to ask.

"She is aware of the change of command structure, isn't she?"

"Oh most definitely, in fact she's welcomed the change and says she'll follow any orders given to her."

"Eli there's more to this than you're letting on, isn't there?"

"Sorry Dai, she and I have had a very brief conversation before she hung the do not disturb sign. Sarah is running the show and has orders to disturb KO only in case of a genuine emergency, that's why I asked you to stay around and Jasmine you're welcome to input as well. The conversation concerns KO and if we think she'll still stay a team player."

A conversation lasting over three hours ensued; opinions were expressed, argued, modified, and finally agreed on mostly. Taking everything in Eliana said.

"We agree that for the moment KO remains where she is, and if not the only other person, except Scholar, we could replace KO with is Noel. Illusion trusts her judgment however I met with Noel earlier, personally, putting her in that position would be the last choice. She's at her wits end presently and I believe we could be effective without Illusion if necessary. On the subject of Pegasus and more directly Dawn and Marjee, recently they both have had experiences that have left a lasting impression on them. I believe they won't venture off without telling us and Pegasus's AI unit seems better able to rein in its Captain than Illusion is. I gather from the last topic we discussed even thou we are getting antsy; staying here instead of being in space is the correct answer, for the time being. My thoughts on the matter are as soon as Pegasus starts it investigation in earnest, there should be assets available to cover them in case all hell breaks loose."

Placing her tablet on the table she activates it and continues.

"The information you're seeing is in 'real time' minus two minutes. I'll forward the link to your personal tablets before you leave. You can study it at your leisure but there are two items you should be aware of, first is the indicated strength, second and of more importance are the two times shown, the time in Green is ETA to the Dorian outpost, time in Red is to the outpost dropping everything and making a dead run at it. The closest assets are the Dorian twelfth and they're a mere four hours off, drop and run, not acceptable. I'd like four minutes but that would be wishful thinking."

"Here's a problem for you to pass the time. Go over the area in question and find us a suitable base of operations, far enough off the normal transport lanes, yet close enough to Arsis IV that we could be there in less than ten minutes, at emergency warp. That should make the day go faster."

The gathering adjourned, Jasmine returned to the hospital and Eliana returned to the Command Center, hoping by now some of Vekk's information would be in a discernable format.

"Pegasus captain's log, Marjee recording: after giving the Commander access to Pegasus a spirited conversation has ensued for the past several hours. From this information exchange, a class five probe has been launched on a pre programmed journey through the Arsis system. Its primary purpose is to identify suitable locations to place the listening devices that are on the outpost. Also it will record any unusual energy signatures found in its travels. The probe should return in ten hours, by then we'll be close to the outpost. At the moment everything is going according to plan."

"Marjee I've been studying this ship and there are resources aboard that you're barely utilizing. Granted you've just acquired this ship but let me put together a list and we'll all go over it. I think this is more advanced than Illusion will ever be, in my humble opinion."

Dawn's words didn't fall on deaf ears, however what Dawn didn't know was how deeply Pegasus and Marjee were intertwined, and Marjee knew a lot more than anyone, with the possible exception of Noel, realized. But letting Dawn sort through things gave her something to do, as the Commander had done with the question and answer session she'd just finished with the ship. A conversation between Pegasus and Marjee had been on going, it started shortly after launch and the information shared was metered to where Marjee understood, and wasn't guessing anymore. A plan was already being formulated should they encounter hostile craft. Marjee was tempering the options however as Pegasus said. 'Self preservation is my prime directive.' Knowing that she couldn't accidentally put herself in a position that Pegasus wouldn't allow, kept her calm.

Entering the Command Center Eliana found Vekk on the main display with Cassandra questioning what he was saying.

"I'll send you the data and you can check it out for yourself if you wish, but I have five people in custody that several noted computer systems report as being quite dead. One almost ten years ago the most recent twenty months, we've done DNA testing according to historical records genetically they are who they are. Questioning them has gotten us nowhere. We're debating on using methods not approved by the Alliance or my general command to get answers, unless you've got a better solution?"

Eliana approached Cassandra who put the link on hold and said.

"How much did you hear?"

"Dead people still living five of them he said."

"Here are the images, see if you recognize any of them."

One by one images appear on the console when the forth image appears Eli halts data feed and says.

"Not possible, completely impossible let me talk to Vekk."

Cassandra activates the link and Vekk is greeted with this question.

"Prisoner number four, have you done a complete scan?"

"We scanned all five of them is there something in particular you're looking for on number four?"

"Under the left arm pit and radiating towards the sternum…"

"You mean that nasty scar, its there, why do you ask about it?"

Withdrawing a dagger from her belt she holds it before a scanner and says.

"Scan this; was this the blade that made that wound?"

The dagger is scanned, its silhouette is transposed on the wound, there is a ninety-nine percent match. Sheathing the dagger Eli says.

"You can't duplicate that wound, he is who he is. And the lousy scum bag should have died a decade ago. How did he escape and where has he been hiding? Vekk isolate him he's a bigger danger than you think."

"One step ahead of you, we've got them on ice… cryo chambers. Even if someone defrosted them they'd be crippled long enough for us to take them down… I've got elite Dorian guard babysitting them. Looks like there is somewhere hiding a bunch of bad people for what reason and where is this place?"

"Let me step out pretty far on a limb and say, Arsis IV, that secret walled city north of the largest city. The reason, up to no good I'll guess."

"If so lets just march in and…"

Cassandra interrupts Vekk.

"If we're wrong, half the organized worlds still doubt us, we do this we might as well slit our throats while we're at it, sorry as much as we maybe right without a lot of proof we don't dare take any offensive action. Sorry to deflate your balloon Vekk but you just had a heart to heart with the Alliance; you really want to do it again?"

"No I don't, okay governor we'll play it your way I just hope you find something or we come across something before the next act starts."

"We will be in touch."

The link closes and Cassandra approaches Eliana and inquires.

"You know him don't you? Want to talk about it?"

"My sisters eighteenth birthday, he was part of a covert group planning on taking control of the government by kidnapping me, unfortunately my sister and I look enough alike that if you weren't paying attention we could be interchangeable. That's what happened he kidnapped her instead of me. I manage to track him and caught up with him at the same time he realized he grabbed the wrong child. I found him about to kill my sister, I lunged at him with the dagger my uncle had given me earlier, my skill level was low along with my endurance however I found an opening and managed to wound him sufficiently that when he tried to escape, the place guards detained him. His trial was all show, sentenced to life at hard labor in the mines, where no one lasted more than five years on average. He managed to escape, stole a shuttle, and was supposedly forced into our sun almost eleven years ago… Cassie he's one very devious and dangerous being, half on me wants to board Samson and carry out a death sentence that still hangs over his head, the other half wants to know what he's up to, then kill him."

There were times in Cassandra's life where she wished she hadn't asked a question, this was not one of them, Eliana was shaking reliving the horror from before. Moving to the chairs next to the console they sit its then Eliana continues.

"Cryo chamber controls, you realize I'd only have to move it the length of my finger and he'd go from on ice to iceberg in less than forty five seconds… Better keep me from him I could start an intergalactic incident that would put KO's antics to shame."

Leaving the Center they went to the gardens and talked till almost sunset. Once Cassandra was convinced Eli would be alright they parted company. As Eli left Cassie called Dai explained what had happened and to let the others know. Dai said they were getting together later on and she'd make sure Eli was with them, not taking no for an answer.

Heading to her office Cassie found Sari sitting in her chair, she entered her office with Sari following, sat in her chair and thought out loud.

"First we have dead people that no body seems concerned about, now we have living people who should be quite dead, and Eliana wants one of them very dead by her own hands. Vekk wants to go charging to Arsis IV, I'd like to do it as well but we have no proof, if it turned out to be folly it could mean the end of the Alliance. Scholars out of commission, KO, I have no idea what she's thinking. Did I miss anything important?"

"Pegasus has arrived at the outpost and has submitted the positioning of the observation devices. Our Intel people found no problem with it so I authorized it. Marjee has taken up a position with in the system but is so isolated that to quote her 'we would have to explode for someone to take notice of our location' I told her it was a bad choice of words and she responded 'got your attention didn't I'? I forwarded her position to Kenesh, figuring when I couldn't raise Eliana, Kenesh was still acting second in command so…"

"You did well, one of us should get some rest, I'll take the first watch why don't you relieve me in four hours."

"I have a better idea, you both get some shut eye and we'll get you in six hours."

Standing in the doorway were Dai and Ariel. Dai continued to say.

"Been all day napping, we're caught up and it's not like I haven't done this job before, so you two Shoo, get some sleep we'll hold down the fort."

Not waiting for a change of heart Cassie and Sari leave. Dai hopes for a quiet six hours, she hopes.

Marjee had been napping on the bridge, the conversation between the ship and the Commander brought her to a level of consciousness that she interfaced with the ship and listened in.

"Fifth freighter in the past eighteen hours, Imaged and identified, from the three republics, do you have any idea what it's carrying Pegasus?"

"Several holds are refrigerated, I'm getting plant and animal readings, my guess would be food stuff, however there, in the stern of the ship these holds, those energy readings only fit one style of device."

"Energy conversion reactors and their not powering the ship they're idle. Judging by the physical size I would assume one million joules minimum and I'm seeing a dozen power clumps. Pegasus, intensify the scan…"

"Not necessary Commander, I can see what the ship is seeing, eighteen and I believe one million each is a proper size. Track that delivery if it is intended for the major city let me know."

"Yes Marjee how long have you been eavesdropping?"

"Not long, Commander for a planet that has nomadic tribes they seem to get a lot of supplies don't you agree?"

"I've been keeping track it's enough to feed a sizable army many more than the projected population of the planet is. Marjee are we on the same page?"

'We're still unable to scan the compound north of the 'capital' is that correct?"

"Marjee I can scan it but they're going to know they're being scanned, passive scans are being reflected. I've just received the first optical images from the observation satellites. I'll have them ready shortly."

"Commander to answer your question I believe we are, have the listening posts picked up anything of interest?"

"One thing, it seems the planet is inquiring of each ship if they've run across a certain freighter, I've forwarded the information to the outpost who will send it out in their normal traffic, going with your assumption that we're not the only people out here listening. I figure we'll have an answer in seven hours. Dorian communications can be painfully slow at times. Since we're listening to the traffic channel we'll know the same time the outpost knows."

"It was the last item, am I correct?"

"Yes it is and if the response is we have it then it's what Vekk has if the answer is no that's pretty self explanatory, however if it a combination them I'll have to decode the message although I believe this ship could figure it out in time."

"I appreciate the vote of confidence I'll let you know when the exchange begins. Oh optical images on console three for those interested."

"Dawn, first batch of pictures are ready want to have a look?"

"On my way in five minutes do wait for me."

"Personal notes Dawn Dorin recording: Without Mirage we're at a slight disadvantage, Pegasus is, for all intents, a warship, not equipped for detailed observation, before leaving Shahrazad I took the liberty of removing a couple of devices from Mirage, portable and very sensitive observation devices meant to be placed where space based observation can't see. First part of the programming is complete and I've been notified by Marjee the optical images are ready for viewing. Depending on what they show will determine if we'll need to use these devices."

Stepping on to the bridge Dawn approached Marjee and the Commander. The first batches of images were displayed, which brought about this comment from Dawn.

"Standard optical images un-enhanced correct?"

"Correct."

"That's not cloud cover; it's too uniform and too dense. Optical camouflage, are the spectral images ready?"

"Almost, the system is having trouble processing the visible light images."

"Don't compensate let me see what the device saw."

Images appear distorted and abstract in their portrayal. Dawn takes the first images blows them up and says.

"Nice camouflage, not fooling the naked eye but any artificial devices it jams, just because we can't 'see' what's there doesn't mean we can't get an idea of what's there. Bring up the topical image and start overlaying what we have."

A surface terrain view from a survey decades ago is the base with the usable images overlaid. When completed it becomes as detailed a view of the large city and the compound north of it as is possible. Looking at it Dawn says.

"The amount of heat being generated from that compound, Marjee did it seem when you were there it might have been an industrial complex of some nature?"

"If it was it was well hidden, from my vantage point I only saw buildings and people. I never heard the 'sounds' of industry."

"Um underground, possible that camouflage, what I would give to get close enough…"

"Captain there are shuttles at the outpost, we could…"

"Commander, however tempting that sounds, if any of us were to get captured, the risk far outweighs the reward."

Sitting back in her seat Marjee feels Pegasus probing her thoughts, panicking for a moment; she realizes what the ship is after and lets it probe her memory. The main display comes on line an optical image of the fountain in the main city is displayed seeing this Dawn said.

"I thought the visible light images were unusable…"

"You are correct, what you're seeing is Marjee's memories from five years ago, as soon as I sync her memories with the acquired data I believe I can give you what you desire."

A representation of Marjee's visit starts to take shape then suddenly the images freeze and Pegasus says.

"Marjee's in a deep sleep; however something has activated our perimeter sentry satellites, switching to the interference's location."

Numerous energy discharges are displayed and they are starting to get close to their location.

"We need to move we're in the line of fire. Pegasus, back us out of here."

"I'll need your help, with Marjee as she is I can't just drop her, the center consoles are coming on line, one for propulsion the other navigation. I'll give assistance but you're going to have to do the work."

"Captain I'll steer you operate the drive."

"Thrusters, moving out of the belt, once clear set course for the outpost."

"One more large one and we're clear, we're clear, course laid in, shields to max, ahead point zero two five sub light."

Pegasus cleared the area as the explosions drew nearer, had they stayed another five minutes they would have been a sitting duck. Marjee was still sleeping as they arrived at the outpost; Dawn and the Commander were taking stock.

"Two of the six sentry units are destroyed, Captain I believe what we witnessed was a 'live fire' demonstration. Whatever it was the weaponry was impressive."

"Yeah real impressive with all that disruption I was able to make a couple of detailed scans too. Hopefully coupled with what Marjee has in her head we'll get a better picture, if not I do have an 'ace' up my sleeve."

As if on cue Pegasus and Marjee both awoke. Marjee must have sensed something was a miss and as she went to speak…

"Marjee we are presently in a twenty five thousand kilometer parking orbit about the Dorian outpost. How we got here you'll have to ask Dawn or the Commander after I gave them control of the ship I tended to you."

Looking forward she took note of both consoles being operational leaning back in the seat she said.

"My heads a buzz, instead of you two trying to explain to me what happened make a detailed log entry and I'll read it after my head recovers, and Pegasus did you get everything you needed?"

"Everything and a little more there were things you saw that your conscious didn't remember but your sub conscious captured with great detail. I'll have images ready in a couple of hours why don't you get some rest."

Marjee didn't wait to be asked again she left the bridge, retired to her cabin and was in a deep sleep before she knew it. Dawn and the Commander filed their report and Pegasus commented.

"I'm sorry to throw you two to the wolves like that but Marjee's mind is far more complex than I could imagine I'm glad I had standard nomenclature that I could use on the consoles because, look at the consoles please."

The displays changed to something neither of them had seen before, continuing Pegasus said.

"That's the language of my builders, a language that I believe only a hand full of your people fully comprehend. Thanks to Marjee I was able to re lable the displays to give you functions you were accustom to."

Looking at the consoles and then at them selves Dawn and the Commander said.

"We would have died back there or forced Pegasus to do harm to Marjee. Tech is nice when you understand it."

"Engineers log Arisa recording: We've examined the weaponry on the depot and have found nothing remarkable, as Vekk has reported. Seelnay and Greta are going over a sample of the weapon that fired on Mirage. A test firing of it will occur shortly, the target, a drone made of similar metals to Mirage, containing the same cloaking and shielding devices. Maybe we'll figure out how they saw through the cloak and found Mirage."

"This automated firing sequence, its not making any sense, why pre-charge the unit with anti matter when its proton matter based. It should blow up. Matter, anti matter one heck of an explosion but it doesn't."

"Greta, start the sequence, reduce the output and target that bolder at eleven o'clock."

The weapon powers up and the targeting system picks up the boulder. The pre-charge occurs, it's then a magnetic wave is discharged it illuminates the bolder and the weapon fires. The boulder vaporizes and a curious Greta thinks out loud.

"That illumination, I've never seen the likes of it, did we get any readings?"

"None, Arisa, reprogram the data drone, have it monitor the energy output. Then set the target drone to move slowly on an evasive course. Let's set the weapon system to auto, fly the target drone by and monitor the weapon's reaction."

Weapon set to auto, target drone cloaked, data drone monitoring, the test begins. The target's altitude is three hundred kilometers above the surface moving from western horizon to eastern horizon at point two of light, the same speed Mirage was moving when attacked. Tracking the target on her tablet, Seelnay waits for either, the drone to pass over without getting a response, or the weapon system coming on line. At thirty three degrees above the western horizon the weapon comes to life. It rises to approximately fifty degrees and pre-charges. The discharge heads to space as the drone flies through it, when it does its cloak is compromised. Arisa starts evasive maneuvers and the weapon fired, the drone is destroyed and Seelnay shuts down the weapon. Looking at her compatriots Seelnay says.

"I'll be damned, doesn't look like anything fancy, but… lets go over the data, and collect any pieces of the drone we can find. I'll bet you it's been turned to dust. Did we get data about the pre-charge?"

Greta looks at the data drone tablet and says.

"A bunch of it, more than I'd think was possible, what are we dealing with, but more important, what did we just witness?"

"Don't know, but I want to know soon, if Marjee and Dawn encounter something similar, I want to give them some options besides 'run'."

Dai opened the link, a surprised Vekk appeared and Dai said.

"Vekk, I've heard from our people in the field. Seelnay managed to get a lot of data from the depot. The weapon we thought was innocent is far from that. Details to follow, what's more important is that vessel you've acquired. It would seem Arsis IV has inquired of every arriving ship if they've seen them. That said, we've got a theory here, either those aboard hadn't been to Arsis IV before, or those on the planet have no idea where the 'depot' is."

"That means we've got to thaw out one or more of our guest and submit them to… enhanced questioning."

"We have another option, questioning them while they're on 'ice'. Once Seelnay is done she's close to Doras and…"

"I've seen her in action; I pity anyone who tries to fight her probe."

"I worry as well, but given what little we have so far, there isn't enough evidence to justify what we've done already…"

"Let me know when she's on her way and we'll get ready, she won't be alone, will she?"

"Arisa and Greta will be with her and hopefully everything will go as planned."

"Hopefully, we'll be ready, and when they arrive, I'll be in touch, Vekk out."

Information from Doras arrived; Marjee sat with Dawn, the Commander, and started the conversation by saying.

"They're looking for the vessel Vekk has, and those aboard, who seem to be leaders of opposing groups scatter thought the associated systems. Although there are a couple of individuals who their alliances remain unknown, we need to make a connection between those Vekk has and the planet. Using my memories, plus the data we've acquired, Pegasus has constructed a three dimensional rendering of the city and compound. Unfortunately its surface and above ground… there are energy readings below ground but what's there is anyone's guess."

Dawn excused herself and returned with an autonomous device and said.

"I liberated two of these from Mirage before we departed. They are observation devices meant for remote location survey work. I've got them about seventy percent programmed, what we can do is deliver one of them to the area north of the compound, have it follow the stream that flows under the wall and let it snoop around. Since we have an above ground map I can have it locate itself somewhere it can 'see' those entrances that showed up on the composite map. I'll keep the second unit in reserve and if we find an underground entrance we can dispatch it there. These units are able to cloak and self recharge. They're sophisticated enough to avoid, not only life forms, but other mechanisms. And if they are discovered they um… self destruct… I know not a desirable result but... if someone happens to bypass the self destruct and tries to figure out where they're from, well the tech is imbedded so well it'll drive them batty, also if they get too nosy um there is a secondary booby trap too. Thanks to Marjee we learned of two life forms that populate the planet and I can have optical camouflage disguise the device as well. That's what I have to offer and their nickname is 'bug'."

Cassandra awoke to a dimly lit room it was shortly before sunrise when she laid down. Focusing on the information center terminal, it told her it was twenty minutes before sunset the same day.

"Six hours my eye, more like almost ten…"

Dressed and out the door she meets Sari in the garden and they head for the Governor's Office. Arriving they find Dai in a conversation with Seelnay and it's not going well.

"Seelnay all I'm asking is that..."

"That I go to Doras and interrogate Vekk's 'guests' while they're in cryo. What do you know about these people? Am I going to find any telepaths among them? You realize Dai a telepath in cryo is five times more dangerous than chemically knocked out. I'll be damned if you're going to have me deal with that again. Unless you want them vegetative, then it works for me. Look, I'll go to Doras and I'll see if any of them are worth 'talking' to only because Dawn's involved in this not for any other reason."

The link closed as Cassandra entered the room, she was going to give Dai a piece of her mind but decided Seelnay had done enough.

"While I enjoyed the rest, I told you to contact me if something came up… from what I just heard I'm assuming a lot has occurred in the past ten hours, how about a brief explanation, you know where we stand at the moment, since you're still here, I'll guess the fleet is still home, um maybe?"

Dai briefed Cassandra while Ariel and Sari conversed, about an hour later Dai and Ariel left. Sari entered Cassandra's office and said.

"Outside of leaving Vekk stunned it would seem they did well. However this plan Marjee and Dawn have cooked up…"

"I know I've sent them a message to hold off until our intel people have a chance to study the data. As far as Seelnay goes Dai had no understanding of what Seelnay's duties were, that said, ignorance being bliss, Seelnay accepted her suggestion something she would not have done had I asked, but we must avoid putting her in that position again."

"Easier said than… so Marjee, what should I tell her because we have a relay from the Dorian depot wanting clarification of what Dai sent over…"

"Tell her to standby, chill out, what ever she'll understand… we need sometime to get back on our feet and running again. From now on we stagger our on duty times when we have a crisis, while the fill in staff was acceptable they… we should have better informed them but… we were too damn tired too."

Sari left to send a message to the Dorian outpost, Cassandra started reading Marjee's proposal and figuring out what wouldn't work… making it to the end, she gathered up the report and sought out Eliana. Showing her the report she said.

"Look at this, share it with the others, the intel service is still overloaded sorting through Vekk's data and they… I doubt they would know what to think about this… let me know as soon as possible, because Marjee is getting impatience and we know what that could mean."

"I'll grab everyone and have an answer soon; I'll assume you had a nice nap?"

"If you consider ten hours then waking up to find what I found restful… yeah I feel better sort of, kind of, maybe."

They parted company, Eliana returning to the Village, and Cassandra to her office. Cassie realized that she hadn't had anything to eat recently; stopping by the base dining hall she got her and Sari something to eat and then proceeded back to her office.

In the Village at a secure location Eliana met with the fleet commanders, minus one, KO's at the space dock aboard Illusion refusing communication although, via a remote link, Sarah is watching the proceedings with great interest. On the display Eliana has an object that Dai has recognized and is commenting on.

"That's one of Dawn's little bugs… we had the pleasure of precipitating in the trials when they were being developed. She's planning on turning those loose on Arsis IV?"

"Yeah that's what she's proposed, the plan is in data file six on you command tablets, Cassandra asked us to critique it and make suggestion as we deem necessary. How good are these devices because this is the first time I've seen them?"

"Let's see since they were in 'trial' when we had them aboard I'd say, using single word terms such as; intrusive, stealthy, extremely accurate, and when in observation mode almost impossible to detect. Now remember we had them as 'trial' devices, my understanding is the weaknesses we found have been corrected and these operational units are, 'damn sneaky' yet refined."

Aboard Illusion Sarah is looking at the data being presented and taking notes of her own. KO is still off the bridge and assumed either sleeping or reading, but, no communications devices are operational in her quarters. What is happening on the bridge, she is blissfully unaware of, or so Sarah thinks.

In the room, Eliana brings the meeting to a close. The link to Illusion is put on stand by as the parties involved consider Dawn's plan. Plakia and Kenesh approach Eliana, blocking the video feed of Eliana and muting the audio. Once assured that there is no way Illusion can see what's happening, Kenesh addresses Eliana by saying…

"We've been talking among us while you were gone, we have a concern we'd like to share with you, concerning you."

Eliana is puzzled as Kenesh continues…

"Subject: burnout… the reason KO's doing what she's doing and the reason we are talking now. We know so little of KO's past while yours is an open book, we know you can handle what Cassie has placed upon you, but, we've also have been in command of fleets before, what I'm saying for all gathered, is pace yourself, rely on us and don't try to be a one person army like KO has. As far as Dawn's proposal goes, we need intel for this crisis, and right now that's our choice, the other choice is to land ground troops and start a war… as advanced as Pegasus is; one ship in the area is folly. We know there is a build up occurring in the area, Marjee's encounter with the 'live fire' demonstration proves that. This time, for the mean time, we should go this alone. Why you ask? I know we can call for assistance, but if this is…"

"Kenesh, I get it, I've been thinking about it. That's why I asked earlier for you guys to find us a base of operations. And KO… my gut says to leave her here. If she decides she wants to join in we'll let her but, I don't have time to try to figure out someone who doesn't want to be figured out. You're following me correct?"

"I am. Plakia has volunteered to pass our findings along to Command, and try to talk to KO. Let's tell Cassie first and then inform KO. As second in command, I suggest Dai and I head to… guess we should show you the hideout we've found."

Tablet open, a section of star chart displayed, Kenesh continues.

"Since the Arsis system borders on the edge of the Zon Empire and we're not speaking at the moment, we've found a, for the lack of a better word, a destroyed asteroid belt orbiting a orphaned planet with an area large enough to place our ships and still close enough to be in orbit around Arsis IV in less than three minutes combat speed. There is a caveat thou, if you'll take note of the orphaned planet, its orbit takes it around the Arsis system every five years. Presently we would have a stable area for at least ten days, then we'd get close to some monitoring satellites that if they are functional would give us away… and the other little issue is, we've not explored this area it might not be um empty."

Eliana looks at the chart, inputs Pegasus position, an icon appears and she says.

"Marjee's at the Dorian depot. Have her launch a class six probe and survey the area. By the time we arrive at the depot, you and I, Kenesh, we'll know if the area is clear or not. Plakia and Dai will stay here in reserve, and watch KO."

Plakia calls Dai over she had been talking to Sarah while the rest had been in conference. Eliana informs her of the operation that's about to begin and says.

"Kenesh and I will meet up with Marjee, you two stay ready to depart and if… IF KO comes around and wants to be a team player let me know. Right now, I want to know if Seelnay finds something with her questioning…"

"Eli, we know how Seelnay questions, no need to explain. Hopefully she'll succeed where Vekk's people, bound by regulations, have come up short. I'm going to inform Sarah you're leaving but not where you're going, have I got that right?"

"Dai, for the most part that's what I'd like, but I know Sarah, the minute we leave she'll have Illusion tracking us. So tell her where we're going and once she sees where it is the rest will be self-explanatory I hope."

While that conversation was ongoing Plakia and Cassandra had conversed as well. While not completely on board with their decision at the moment it was a start to what had been a very stagnant day. Approved on the condition that the area in question was found as remote as expected, Cassandra authorized the plan.

"Marjee, I've configured the probe as instructed, its identification strip lists it as a Dorian deep space probe and all parameters regarding a 'typical' space probe have been entered along with the requested detailed information gathering. Should someone come across it, unless they disassemble it, it will look like a normal research probe."

"Well done Pegasus, Dawn is there anything else you want the probe to accomplish?"

"No, looks like we've got it covered, but since Eli and Kenesh are heading this way, have them raid the depot and acquire another six bugs, what I have planned is asking a lot of two to accomplish."

"Six? Pegasus, send the request, and let me know when you have an answer."

"Request sent looks like we already have an answer… twelve enroute to us with Cassie's blessings."

"Twelve, Dawn will that do?"

"A little overkill, but yeah that will be plenty."

"Marjee another thirty seconds to probe launch, on this orbit."

"Launch the probe when ready."

"Probe jettisoned main engine firing estimated return in seven hours thirty six minutes."

"Very well continue monitoring the probe, Dawn have you figured out how to get a bug to the surface?"

"I have and I've also figured out which transports are inbound to the compound and which are planet bound. It's waiting for one to show up on long range and then having the bug intercept it and piggy back a ride to the surface."

"Would being closer to the shipping lane help?"

"Normally I'd say yes but hiding this ship from prying eyes if you're following my thinking."

"I am, and I basically understand what will happen, sort of, I guess if you could explain in a little more detail."

"Sure, once we detect a suitable transport, I'll send a bug to it; it'll will attach itself and ride to the planet. Once in the atmosphere, at approximately one thousand meters above the surface, it'll detach and land at the co ordinates that are the stream heading in to the compound. On the ground it will; get its bearings, establish communications with the sentry satellite that's still in orbit and proceed to access the compound. If it gets in and finds communications are no longer possible it will scout the area, return to the drop zone, and communicate from there. I put a six hour timer on that so once communications are lost we'll know six hours later it should be talking to us again. That said there are a lot of unknowns involved in this mission that's why I asked for backups. Now we wait for the surface taxi to arrive."

Vekk met Seelnay and company upon their arrival. On their way to the detention center Vekk handed Seelnay the latest bio scans of those she was to question. Coming to a stop on the path she read through each scan when completed she said to Vekk.

"These two, isolate and place a class five force field around them. I'll question the others at least one thousand meters away from those isolated."

Handing the table to Greta, she starts towards the center once again; Greta reads the data and says.

"I agree those two are nothing but trouble, why would there be telepaths of that class…"

"The best negotiating is accomplished when you already know what the other side is thinking, am I not correct?"

"Then we're dealing with…"

"Very experienced individuals and I'll guess getting into their heads is not going to be a 'walk in the garden'."

Vekk took it all in, thinking this might have been a mistake he went to speak as Seelnay said.

"Not to worry Vekk, they'll never know I was there, that said have armed security standing by just incase something goes haywire."

Vekk was stunned, Seelnay had just read his thoughts and he never realized until she verbalized them. He cleared his thoughts and said.

"I'm convinced, I'll notify security, give me about forty-five minutes to move the ones you want to talk to, and isolate the others. There is a canteen, not very fancy, but somewhere you can rest and refresh at, over there. I'll come and get you when we are ready."

Vekk points to a pale blue building, says that's the canteen, they part company. Seelnay and company enter the canteen. Small but well kept, the food and drink were acceptable, the seats comfortable and the temperature moderate. Taking the pad from Greta; Seelnay studies it in detail, and then says.

"Think I'll question the navigator first, then the chief, the two officers I feel might be a couple of tough nuts to crack, and those passengers. I'd be wasting my time, I'll bet those telepath's, I had isolated, have conditioned their minds so that I'd have to leave them vegetables after extracting data from them. Not worth the effort. Arisa you're armed correct?"

Pulling her jacket open two laser pistols come into view, closing the jacket she says.

"I'd feel naked if I wasn't carrying something on my person and before you ask I gave Greta a little something as well."

Seelnay laced her fingers behind her neck, tilted her head skyward and watched as the ceiling fan in the room slowly rotated, closing her eyes and clearing her mind she said.

"Set one weapon to heavy stun, set the other to max. If something goes wrong and stun has no effect then take them out. Hopefully you'll never have to open your jackets but just incase."

Arisa and Greta comply with Seelnay's request. Vekk should be back in about fifteen minuets, for now they wait.

Eliana and Kenesh departed space dock, taking a leisurely course out of the system, they didn't accelerated until they were out of the planetary defensive zone, and then they only accelerated to a normal cruise speed. Any indication they might be in a hurry somewhere could not be justified by their departure. The exact impression Eliana wanted anyone observing them to think. Once clear of the system and away from most prying eyes they set course, separately, to the area known as the 'hideout' its actual name was 'orphan TQ 5738' hideout sounded better.

Aboard Pegasus Marjee was awaiting the probes return, she had been informed of the small group inbound to the area and she should have information for them before the arrived.

"Marjee the probe just appeared on my scans, I'm receiving some data from it now, displaying on the main viewer."

The viewer became active as Marjee called Dawn and the Commander to the bridge. Below decks Dawn and the Commander were making their way to the bridge, as the door opened, they heard Marjee say.

"Break communications silence, get the group on…. Never mind transmit this: 'primary location infested, proceed to secondary at once, continuous repeating until acknowledged."

"Transmission underway, security level six."

Dawn and the Commander came within view of the display and stopped short. The area was occupied; the image showed over two hundred non natural objects, the detail was being enhanced as Marjee said.

"Pegasus, download all the data from the probe and process it at once, any response to our signal?"

"Marjee they should be receiving it shortly I also took the liberty of placing a tick on the beginning, it should trigger their combat systems just incase someone's not paying attention."

"I see, consult me before you do that again."

Kenesh and Eliana were in a conference when…

*"We should be hearing something from the data link shortly; Marjee should have the probe in her possession by now."
"Agreed unless, you don't think….
"*

The sound of the ship going to combat ready followed by this from the communications officer is heard on the link.

"Captain receiving an emergency six communications from Pegasus it says: 'primary location infested, proceed to secondary at once. Message is repeating and it was what brought the ship to combat ready."

*"Acknowledge the message and silence the alarms, Kenesh plot an intercept course let me know when you're ready."
"I'll have to admit Marjee's getting pretty resourceful, course plotted I'm on your starboard beam twenty thousand astern ready when you are."
"We go in three, two, and one. Execute."
"In trail I'm showing approximately one hour, twenty minutes to secondary location."
"Marjee better have a good explanation."
"I'm sure she will; at least I hope she will."
"She better or she'll not like the outcome.
"*

"To Be Continued"...

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."