77_The Silent Society IV

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

77_The Silent Society IV

Post by Diaho »

The Silent Society IV

The trail left by the live fire demonstration was easy to follow. It took a little over two hours for Eliana to receive Kenesh's message. Going stealthy, she approached Kenesh's position, when in range the low power link came to life and…

"There, about the elliptical orbiting moon, do you see them?"

Tactical had the targets as soon as the moon passed by them, a dozen vessels, most of them not in any database, sat in synchronous orbit, almost impossible to detect, had there not been an energy trail Kenesh would have missed them.

"I've got video images of all of them, a passive scan, but, the largest ship dead center of the group. I believe it's optically camouflaged, the image we have doesn't match the passive scan. You're better equipped to determine what's what."

Eliana took readings and told Kenesh to withdrawal to the outpost. Once there, they conferred on what they found. Kenesh was correct the largest ship was something special, as the data was fed into the system, it was determined that the ship was a highly modified dreadnought, how modified, that was the question, and the data was still inconclusive. Eliana forwarded her findings to Shahrazad and awaited orders. It was then that Kenesh said.

"We should let Marjee see this; on the off chance she's seen something like this in her travels."

Eliana was physically present but her mind, the third time Kenesh said same thing a little more firmly, this time she finally heard what was said and replied.

"I see why KO was relieved, reflecting she probably had, and Marjee, we should show her this. In fact I'm wondering what she's found in that old building. Hopefully more than we have. We found trouble; maybe she's found something better?"

Eliana's data arrived at Command; Cassandra found herself communicating with Vekk once again. This time she wondered if she had lost her senses. The image transmitted as she said.

"Guess what we found… its location is in the transmission, and Vekk, this one seems fully operational."

Cassandra watched as the information appeared before Vekk, his facial expression changed and he reached for an object out of video range. His arm returned with a familiar sight, a bottle of Dorian brandy and by its looks, fairly old and rather potent. Removing the cap he brought the bottle to his lips and consumed a sizable amount. Replacing the cap and setting the bottle aside he said.

"Just one of them, I hope, we've seen those modifications it came from the arms depot we raided, Governor, why, do you have the talent to find these… I'm not turning any of them loose, if that's what you're after, but... I'll assume I'm able to share this information with the Alliance."

"The Abh too if you think it's wise, after you clear it with the Alliance, would be my thinking."

"I see you're keeping at arms length on this, I get the choice of who gets what information, I reaffirm my recent statement about your senses Governor, I feel… okay I'll forward this on and you'll know what the Alliance has to say, now are you planning any action I should be aware of?"

"No… that said we're planet side, investigating, I'll let you know more when we have the results."

"Wonderful talking to you again, now if you'll excuse me, I need to gather my thoughts before I send this tidbit of information along."

As Vekk fades from view Sobbash says.

"Cassandra, why didn't you mention what Marjee has discovered on the surface?"

"You saw Vekk's reaction to the data, if I had mentioned what might be on the surface, we'd lost him. That ship is the present danger unless Marjee finds something else… that and I figured I'd use the information as the excuse to have 'ground support', if needed, at a later date."

One of Sobbash's eye brows slightly raised then returned to normal. She left with Atosuryua to return later on that evening.

The bug had been exploring for over an hour, it found the interface and had determined the equipment connected to it. The report brought a strong response from Dawn.

"Jackpot! Talk about finding a gold mine, come here, take a look at this."

The Commander was looking over her shoulder as was Marjee, interfaced with Pegasus. The detailed scan showed the unit was a functioning data storage unit. From the initial probe it would seem it was a backup for the entire complex. The AI was compiling data and it would seem that Dawn's assumption was correct. Here was everything about the complex ready to be downloaded and analyzed. What a stroke of luck, which this mission really needed. Marjee said.

"How recent was the last interface? I'd really hate to download historical data."

"Checking now, the initialization routine is set to run every twenty eight revolutions. Next back up is, due tonight, we should wait and tap into that stream. If we do that they'll not know we were there."

Marjee was out of the chair and along side the Commander, checking the surround area she said.

It's remote enough that I doubt anyone would come to check the backup, which means there must be a routine that verifies the data. If we're tapped in and the routine detects us…"

"Marjee I understand your concern, but twenty eight days. A lot has happened in the past twelve solar days. We'd be derelict in our duty to leave that information untouched."

Looking at the data from the bug Marjee asked.

"Can we tell what is uploaded? Is it a complete backup or just what has occurred since the last connection? My thought is if it's just since last backup we can clone the unit and tap the data inbound. My concern is, if we change the connection speed, the complex notices, sends someone to investigate and finds we've been there, we've tipped our hand."

Dawn was operating the bug having it take stock of the unit before it. As the data returned she said.

'It's a two Petabyte data unit, utilizing about forty percent of the storage available. The bug contains a four Petabyte array so cloning it is possible. There is a service port that leads to a device interface which I believe was used to input and retrieve data while it served as the construction unit. If that port is active, and not encoded, it would take about thirty minutes to clone the unit. The question is how to proceed? Clone the unit now and take the backup as it occurs, or wait for the backup to complete, and then clone the unit."

The question was being considered when Pegasus said.

"Withdrawing the bug, the room is powering up, a force field and scan area is being created. Bug clear, data transfer being detected."

Dawn saw what Pegasus was talking about; a force field with laser detection beams were now deployed, if the bug hadn't been moved when it was. Marjee had seen real time from the ship and still couldn't have acted fast enough. Taking in the moment she said.

"I suggest we have the ship direct the bug and when it's safe do some data mining. Until then expand the unit outside the building's sensor sweeps, just in case someone does make the trek up the hill I want to be able to leave at a seconds notice."

Operations were transferred, Dawn and the Commander sat going over the data received and monitoring the bugs. Marjee returned to her seat and interfaced with the ship…

("That was too close for comfort, how did you figure out what was happening?")

"There was an image from the bug that showed what turned out to be the sensor arrays. It took me a second to put all the pieces together I almost missed that as well."

("Can you handle the assignment you've been tasked with or should I be concerned?")

"Marjee I'm quite capable of doing this task, I'm glad your 'enhanced' training let you figure out that question. You do have faith in me?"

Marjee opened her eyes, scanned the bridge, answered Pegasus in the affirmative, rose from the chair, breaking the telepathic link and made her way to her cabin. There she found the message from Eliana concerning the images she'd captured. Taking note it was an hour old she wondered why the ship hadn't notified her…

Vekk's conversation with the Alliance's unified council had gone without a hitch. Then he admitted to those he held in custody and what ships had been located in the Arsis system. The Alliance link grew silent, the video faded, but the link remained open. Forty minutes passed and the link became normal as the council head spoke.

"We've reviewed and have verified the list of those you say you have. Interesting that most of those on the list are listed as deceased, then there's this one individual, a nasty sort of criminal, that not less than seven governments want, the Abh being at the top of the list. We've wondered if the Abh fleets in the adjacent system and your 'guest' have anything in common. We'd like you to make an overture to the Abh, and we understand your reluctance of defrosting him. So if the Abh want him they'll accept him on ice, they can take responsibility for what happens after we should deliver him. The rest of your 'guests' have Alliance death sentences, carry out the executions and dispose of the bodies, we'll not admit to killing those already declared dead. The ships found in the Arsis system must not be allowed to roam the galaxy do what ever is necessary to see to that. You're allowed to form any alliances you deem necessary with the exclusion of the Zon Empire. Report back when you've finished contacting the Abh."

The link faded, Vekk sat stunned, as Cassandra had predicted earlier, the Alliance had dumped everything into his lap. The first link he opened was to his government with the Dorian chief council added. The conversation lasted almost an hour. The result was a Dorian vessel would make contact with the Abh and deliver Vekk's message. His next link was directed to Shahrazad and Eliana, it was time to co ordinate the effort that was about to occur.

The main viewer in the Command center was active. On the left was Eliana the right Vekk. Sitting off to the side the recently returned Sobbash took note of Vekk's presence, looking like he hadn't slept in a week and mentioned to Atosuryua, 'this should be interesting'. Vekk presented the Alliance's view and what he had done so far. When the part about delivering the prisoner, to the Abh in cryo was expressed, both Eliana and Cassandra had the same look of disbelief. Cassandra spoke.

"Did you not understand the report I sent over concerning the subject in question? Trust me when I say the Abh will not accept him on ice."

A frustrated Vekk responded.

"Thank you for telling me something I already knew, but the Alliance, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to ignore your 'expert' opinion on this matter. The Dorian's are an hour from fleet contact; I know what the answer will be. I'll be extremely surprised if it's anything besides 'NO'. I'm stuck, I'll carry out the Alliance's wishes, and when they fall short, I'll do it in a manor more sensible. That's why we're talking; hopefully we can make some sense out of this mess. And you should know that four combat divisions under Zachary's command are heading for the outpost. Eliana, work with Zachary and contain the threat those ships you found pose. To sum it up there are two things I'm certain of, one the Abh won't accept the prisoner, and two the Abh won't involve themselves in the planet. Could we count on the Abh's support regarding the ships in question? Now that's an unknown."

A plan was put into action, it was then Eliana told Vekk about Marjee's efforts and the possible ordinance found on the planet. Vekk momentarily paled, and then said.

"If you confirm what you say you've found that only changes how we deal with the planet. Should anything that relates to those ships become available, that could change the plan. Do we have any idea of how much time Marjee might need?"

Eliana glanced to her side reading a display, not in view, and said.

"We should know something by the time Zachary arrives. If not sooner."

"Let me know when you have something, I'll let you know what the Abh have to say."

The link with Vekk closes, Cassandra questions Eliana.

"I was keeping the bio weapon as an incentive; I guess I didn't forward the memo to you. What's Marjee up to, does she have a lead or something more?"

"She's got at least four bugs on the surface, my information is she's investigating an information center located outside the complex. At the moment she's maintaining stealth and silence. You'll be the first to know and Cassie, four divisions; I believe there's something Vekk failed to disseminate. We'll be in touch."

The link closed and Cassandra stared at the blank display. It was Lafiel that brought her back.

"Once this is over, we all need to have a sit down and do some serious soul searching. This Alliance seems very shaky and if those who wish to dissolve it ever got wind of how disorganized we are… you can fill in the blank for yourself."

As the Dorian warship approached the 'Light Snow Fleet' the flagship placed a shot across its bow. Communications were established and the prisoner offered, while thanked by the Abh for taking him out of action the last sentence was…

"We'll not accept him in that state, should you execute him by cryo freezing all we would require is proof of his death. You've delivered your message. Reverse course and do not return."

As the Dorian ship reversed course the Captain addressed the communications officer…

"You got all of that, am I correct?"

"Yes Captain and I believe you should see this scan."

Moving to the station the Captain observes what the communications office is talking about, taking it in he says.

"Wasn't the original number somewhere around five hundred ships?"

"That's correct, passive shows almost twelve hundred and we can assume there are many more that the scan didn't detect."

"Forward it all to Vekk and Zachary, are we clear of the area?"

"We are, orders Captain."

"Let's heed the Abh's words, engineering get us out of here."

A flash of light and they were gone. The information was sent and received. It did not come as any comfort.

Zachary was positioning his forces just outside the Arsis system when the report arrived. Taking it in, he opened a link to Eliana and Shahrazad. The scan details are presented and Zachary said.

"The Abh have quite a presence it would seem, you've seen the communications and you're seeing a passive scan. I don't believe the Abh are planning on having 'war games'. I do believe they have their sights on the system. If you have any assets close to the planet, I'd have them stay alert; it won't take long for that fleet to be in orbit if they chose to do so."

Shahrazad continued the conversation with Zachary, Eliana placed the link on hold and opened the link she had with Marjee.

"The Dorian's just left the Abh, Debeusec's fleet has doubled in size since they were visited last. The warning issued means the Abh are prepared to fire on any vessel that approaches them again. Marjee I hate to push but if you've found something we need it. And I really hate to say this but, if you're in close proximity to the planet, I suggest you get some distance, if you can, between the planet and the moons. Lastly if you should come across the Abh, my fear is, they will consider you 'a hostile' and you might take fire."

Marjee was already taking measures incase she would come face to face with the Abh. Dawn was just finishing the clone of the server on the planet. They would have data shortly, but due to the amount of data, a report will take some time. Dawn reported that all of the bugs were at a secure location and the data upload was in progress. With that Marjee moved closer to the relay satellite which put them mid way between the planet and the moons. Not a very safe place but until the data was received this was the best she could do. She told Eliana this.

"We've successfully obtained the data and it's on the upload. Hopefully we'll have something within the hour, but, I'll keep the link open if the Abh or the forces in the region make a move tell me. We'll get to safety, I hope"

Not calmed by her words Eliana put the link on hold, brought Kenesh on line and said.

"Debeusec has amassed a fleet numbering past twelve hundred, issued a blatant threat to anyone who dares venture close. That said, Marjee might have found a bounty of data but we'll not know for a while. You've got experience with Debeusec, I don't, will he show up unannounced and take action, or is he a show of force type?"

"Have you ever been in a light snow shower? If you have you'll understand his methods. A light snow, makes things, from a combat standing, uncomfortable, the reduced visibility, the cold and the snow inhibit tactical operations. Debeusec will come with stealth and attack with no warning. Anything that stands in his way won't stand long. Also Marjee's ship is not in any database, should the Abh scan it they will consider it hostile. I doubt Marjee would have a chance to identify herself before the salvos were inbound."

"I'm reporting that the Abh have been contacted, they refused the prisoner in his present state and told the Dorian's to go away and not come back, forcefully… there was a passive scan accomplished, the Abh now number over twelve hundred. In my opinion the Abh haven't gather resources on that scale for 'training' exercises. I'm assuming they plan on taking action and soon against Arsis IV."

Vekk's report was taken under advisement; the Alliance relaxed their control, to a point, and gave Vekk the flexibility he desired. The link closed and one to Zachary and Eliana was started…

"The Alliance knows what has transpired; they have given me some freedom in determining the next course of action. Eliana, I know it's been less than an hour since we last spoke, but, is there any news?"

"Nothing yet, that said Marjee's present position puts her in a precarious spot, she's presently between Arsis IV and the moon bases, although able to cloak… she's not experienced combat… I worry but."

"Vekk, I've moved a attack group close to Marjee's position, they're getting ready to establish communications, should Eliana's fears come to pass… Marjee will have some covering forces. I wish we knew what everyone, especially the Abh are thinking… I know very wishful thinking on my part but I've got this feeling I can't put to rest…"

"Zachary, speaking for all, I feel it's a shared concern, Eliana, the links open, the moment you hear from Marjee let us know."

"Vekk is the Alliance and Shahrazad communicating, or should I inform my command of our present plans?"

"I'm communicating with your people Eliana; once we're done I'll bring Cassandra up to date."

The link goes to stand by and Eliana says to Kenesh.

*"You're still following Marjee am I correct?"
"I have her approximate location, it's about twenty minutes old, why do you ask?"
"Zachary has positioned forces close to Marjee I was hoping you had a confirmed location… I hope they've contacted her as Zachary indicated … if not they'll find out how formidable Pegasus can be."
"Eli I'm still worried Debeusec will drop in unannounced and… I wished we had Intel from his location… twelve hundred ships, he could do a lot of damage in a big hurry if…"
"I know, did I mention I hated waiting?"
"No less than twenty times today."*

"Got it all sorting and indexing it now… maybe we should move to a comfortable location?"

"The outpost sounds like a logical choice, Pegasus notify the Dorian's we're returning to the outpost."

"Notification sent and acknowledged, course plotted and on the display estimated time to outpost forty minutes."

"Dawn the bugs are secured?"

"Secured and booby trapped anybody gets too close and all they'll find is scrap."

"Engage the course, and make some sense of that data."

Cassandra listened to Vekk; indecision was evident in his mannerisms. The link closed and Ariel commented.

"Lafiel's right, we don't know what the left hand is doing. Maybe we should…"

"Not happening, the Alliance either sinks or swims after this. That said… have we heard anything from Plakia since she boarded Illusion?"

"Nothing, not a peep, scans show normal activity aboard so it's not come to blows, yet." Ariel said.

Cassandra took to the tactical station, Dai was at Doras and since there wasn't going to be a prisoner transfer, heading her to Eliana served a better purpose. Looking at Ariel she said.

"Prepare to depart, I'm sending you with detailed instructions to deliver to Eliana, and do take care of my little brother."

Ariel turned to leave and a voice said.

"I'm going; this madness needs to end."

"Mother?"

"Look, there are two people in this universe your grandfather will listen to, me and your uncle, the Emperor. I'm taking Shawn's place as Ariel's XO and if push comes to shove I'll step in between the Empire and the Alliance. With twelve hundred plus ships the Empire is not going to threaten Arsis IV. Capture the entire system that would be logical. If what is on the surface, according to Marjee's preliminary findings, is true the Abh will have little idea how to handle it. I foresee a disaster in the offing. I'm not going to usurp Vekk, just be on site to handle the Imperial threat."

Cassandra looked at Lafiel, then Sobbash and back to Lafiel. Taking in a deep cleansing breath she said.

"I won't stop you; I need to remember it was you and father who formed this Alliance, send me Shawn I'll put him to work and mother, take care. Ariel once you have the packet you may leave."

Ariel and Lafiel leave, Cassandra notifies the outpost that Dai and Ariel are enroute and to pass the information along. Finishing a tactical plan and encoding it she says to Sobbash.

"Ariel is taking a message that states; Eliana will consult with Vekk but if the situation deteriorates and the Alliance balks. She's to assume command and stop the enemy. This puts our best and brightest there. If we fail then maybe we should reconsider our standing in not only the Alliance but in general as well."

Sobbash watches as Lafiel exits, takes in what Cassandra has said and says.

"Only one other time have I've seen her 'volunteer' for a seeming impossible assignment. It worked out that time as I feel it will this time as well…"

Sobbash's comment did little to calm the turmoil Cassandra was feeling. Out of the Command center and heading to the shuttle that will take them to Defiance Lafiel and Ariel are talking when…

"LAFIEL!!!"

They spot a winded Jinto making his way toward them they wait and as he gets closer he says.

"I'm not going to stop you, however in future when you get these urges to be heroic, let me know I don't like getting a panicked call from our daughter concerning your actions."

Jinto approaches Lafiel, Ariel steps aside. Standing in her path and very close to her he continues.

"We're doing this now my love, because if you had taken off without telling me; come back and figured I'd understand, you're dead wrong this time."

Lafiel's expression changes, it becomes more resolute, looking Jinto directly in the eye she says.

"You of all people should understand why I'm going; I'm the only one who can possibly reason with him…"

"You are correct Lafiel, and I know that your father is very important to you, but my dear, we've been together for quite a spell. I'm happy you told me why you're going and I agree. Now my love, go, come back to me, to us, in one piece."

"I'll take care, Jinto, I'm sorry, I thought about telling you but, we need to go time is not on our side."

Jinto embraced her then stood aside, a bit stunned and quite embarrassed Lafiel and Ariel leave. Lifting his wrist and opening the link completely he said.

"Thank you, the war you just prevented, you heard your mother, Cassandra, I'll pick up Shawn and we'll be there shortly."

A document was displayed on Dawn's viewer, the language threw her for a loop, calling the Commander over they both viewed it, it stumped the Commander as well; presenting it to the ship's AI this was the response.

"Interesting; I believe this is the language of the Sol system, are there anymore examples that I might scan?"

Dawn presented the system with several more documents, scanning them the AI continued.

"Most definitely, English, a later version than was intercepted by my builders but it's close enough that a ninety percent or better, translation can be guaranteed."

"Your builders, they made it to the third planet of the Sol system?"

"Oh yes several visits over what was their twentieth through twenty third centuries… they referred to us as UFO's and made quite a deal out of it. My builders found it amusing, what those on the planet never knew is the visits were not only at that time but over the course of human inhabitation, from their first stumbling steps to their untimely end, those who built me watched and learned from their triumphs and follies. I've integrated your current history into my data bases and figure those we are dealing with are remnants of the former United Mankind."

Neither Dawn nor the Commander was surprised at who the 'bad guys' were. Their surprise came from the data the ship had just presented. Investigation of that would have to wait. The ship started the task of translating and cataloging the data documents found. Initial findings made Dawn track down Marjee and say.

"I know why the Abh are here; you need to read this, carefully."

The document contained information gathered from a system the Abh controlled and relied on. There were references to raids made, that the ship has verified. Those raids not only took property, but kidnapped citizens that ended up in slavery to those on Arsis IV. It would seem the last raid took the Regent of the planet who happened to be a close associate of the Emperor. Initially they were holding him for ransom but when the Abh didn't negotiate, they tortured him to death, returned him as a warning to that planet not to resist and that the Abh wouldn't protect their citizens. It would seem those who perpetrated this deed had little understanding of how the Abh really think. The assumption was that, Debeusec's presence was to teach a lesson to those on Arsis IV. If that was true then time was of the essence. Finishing the document Marjee inquired about the following.

"Besides this have you come across any information concerning the bio weapon we found?"

"Not yet this was in the 'latest batch' of data, the ship is translating and cataloging data as quickly as possible. This was a fluke it was tagged urgent that's why it got priority. I figured you'd want to let Eliana know, was I wrong?"

Dawn's words hit her like a mild shock, she was right Marjee the scientist was taking interest in only one thing. Marjee the commander needed to broaden her horizons this was just as important as the planet was and Dawn had just brought back words she had heard recently but had ignored. Dawn was waiting and she had an answer for her.

"I'll get this to Eli, make the planet and anything you find relevant your top priority. Population studies and the like are low on the list, weapons, defenses, intelligence… why am I telling you your job get on with it and let me know what you find."

Dawn leaves, Marjee forwards the information to Eliana and is informed Dai and Ariel are inbound, and Lafiel is with Ariel. Closing the link she stands letting all of the frustration with in her vent into the room. Returning to her console in her cabin she links with Pegasus and receives the information that Dawn and the Commander had heard earlier, Marjee informs the ship first things first. The order is accepted and….

"Pegasus, are you keeping information from me? I found Eliana's message about the ships she and Kenesh found. Why wasn't I notified sooner?"

Silence greeted Marjee, bringing up ships resources it became evident why she wasn't being answered, the ship was at capacity processing the data retrieved from the planet. Taking note that most automated systems were in standby it was a good thing they were moored at the outpost and not trying to operate in open space. This also meant she should probably be on the bridge because if anything were to happen she could not depend on the ship operating autonomously. Somebody will need to push the buttons.

Marjee's report arrived, Eliana scanned it had it encoded, sent it on to Command. Cassandra found the report disturbing and shocking then said.

"Losing touch with the Empire is what caused this… had we any idea, something else for Council and I to discuss."

Sari could sense Cassandra's anger welling up. Moving to her she said.

"I know this is no comfort but remember it was the 'Empire' that stopped talking to us, not the other way around. They decided to be secretive not us."

Cassandra heard Sari's words, they were true but they didn't help the matter at hand, how she wished she could confront her uncle and 'knock' some logic back into his being.

Dai's sudden departure from Doras piqued Vekk's curiosity. Then he learned Defiance had departed Shahrazad unannounced, breaking orbit and heading to the outpost he contacted Zachary.

"Keep your eyes open, you'll have two more warships from Shahrazad arriving shortly."

"That's interesting Vekk, since you're enroute I'll assume you weren't notified either."

"Not one word, something happened, either the Alliance or Shahrazad had words or…"

"Cassandra finally has had it and like her mother before her is taking matters into her own hands."

"Zachary, I hope you're wrong, keep a lookout, we'll be there shortly."

The main display in the Command Center was active four of the five ships captains were on, missing, was Marjee with this explanation from Eliana…

"The data process is going smoothly, unfortunately it's consuming every bit of the ships capabilities, therefore Marjee's unable to join but I'll forward this to her once we are done."

Dai's is next she's musing…

"Vekk's a little less than an hour behind us, following us like a puppy, we've made a couple of course changes and he's still off my stern. Now when we arrive what needs to be done?"

Ariel answers Dai…

"Nothing until we arrive, it looks like we'll get there just before you. Should the Abh make a move before we get there. Do not interfere, Eliana make contact with Zachary and Vekk when we arrive, not before, unless the Empire shows up then tell them to keep their distance. They're not to engage the Empire."

Kenesh cuts in and says…

"I'm getting some odd readings from the area the warships are moored in, I'm not sure if it's natural emissions or maybe… I think one of us should have a look…"

The images of Eliana and Kenesh freeze then indicate a switch to stand by mode. Marjee, who has been listening, now picks up a local conversation between Eliana and Kenesh.

*"Kenesh, what kind of energy readings are you getting?"
"Something unusual and only for brief periods, almost seems to be pulsating, can you move to my position and make sure I'm not chasing a ghost?"
"I'm moving away from Marjee now, should be alongside you in about ten minutes time. I'll approach you from the starboard aft quadrant."
"You'll want to scan section three twenty to four zero four, with a class six scan."
"I've already picked up a blip on my scan, I fear your ghost might be real, I so wish Marjee could see this signature."*

Marjee consulted ships resources and found there was enough to initiate a local link.

*"Kenesh, briefly show me what you've found, this links not too stable."
"Sending now, you've been eavesdropping again."
"I got it; I'll get back with you shortly." *

Placing the data in her analyzer, a unit independent of the ships systems, she compares the signature to what she's has stored. It's definitely not a natural occurrence and the signature has… opening the link she says.

*"Kenesh, Eliana I suspect they are pulse gate openings, without more detail I believe the Abh are arriving in mass, you should know shortly for sure."
"Marjee the entire spectrum just lit up, confirming there is one hell of a fire fight going on."
"How did they know where? The Abh's have better Intel than we have?"
"Kenesh I'm rejoining the Command link they need to know what's going on."
"Marjee we're returning to the outpost."
"Acknowledged see you soon."*

The Command link becomes active and Eliana says…

"Details are sketchy, but it looks like the Abh have arrived and are engaging the warships we found… how they knew where to attack is beyond me. Kenesh and I are retreating to the outpost; change of plans, Dai open a link to Vekk and tell him what's going on… Cassie we'll get back to you…"

Dai and Eliana's links return to stand by, Cassandra address Ariel…

"You may not have time to put your heads together, Eliana is senior commander and you've got her additional orders which with her 'change of plans' comment she's already accepted before you had the chance to give them to her. I'm not going over Vekk this time as much as it pains me. We'll sit on the sidelines but at the end of the day Arsis IV must be neutralized not vaporized. You must keep the Abh from doing that."

"That's a tall order I'm glad we have Lafiel with us it may take just shy of a miracle, but we've done those before."

The link returns to stand by and Ariel comments to the navigator…

"I noticed a change in the ship about half way through the conversation, care to explain?"

"It's a reflex reaction, Captain Lexshu, instructed us that if the conversation dictated, we were to hit the limiters without further orders. We are on said limiters and will arrive twenty minutes sooner."

Ariel turned to Lafiel who had heard everything and was about to speak when Lafiel commented.

"That's my mom, efficient and always in a hurry to get into the action… As soon as we can scan the area in detail, I want to know how the 'battle' is going."

"Vekk, the Abh have arrived and are engaging the warships Eliana discovered, Zachary is also being notified and as soon as you respond we're going to battle speed."

"I'll inform the Alliance, and we'll try to match you, I'm assuming you're using the outpost as base?"

"That's my understanding, Marjee's moored there, Eliana and Kenesh should be there by the time we arrive, also you should know that Lafiel is with Ariel. She'll negotiate with the Abh if necessary."

"I'll not mention the last part; we'll arrive about twenty minutes behind you. Hopefully it's over by the time we get there."

"Wishful thinking Vekk however this time it would be acceptable if you're correct."

The link closed and Dai asked

"Engineering can you wring anymore speed out…."

"Ah no, you got all you're gonna get and be glad I could make some temporary repairs after your last high speed effort."

Looking at Arisa, Dai said…

"Your daughter inherited your tactful approach to me didn't she?"

"Seems that way, shouldn't cross her thou, you thought I got angry, I can't hold a candle to her. Seelnay fears her too."

Moving to the center seat Dai sits, stares at the viewer and sighs.

On the bridge; with manual controls operational, Marjee sat studying the ships operation. Although operating at processing capacity there still seem some reserve that was maintaining a security perimeter around the ship. Dawn and the Commander sit in front of her surrounded by displays of data, suddenly Dawn exclaims…

"It's not a killer; it’s a controller, what's stored at the complex, its liquid mind control. Look at this."

Not realizing Marjee was sitting behind them the Commander leans over and views what Dawn is seeing and says.

"Reduces the ability to resist, when given over time, if given in concentration it removes free will completely? Pegasus, define free will."

"Voluntary choice or decision not controlled or influenced by external sources. Mindless slaves could be derived from the latter instance. Basically, those exposed will do what those who haven't say without reservation."

The display dims, and Dawn sees Marjee sitting behind her which prompts this comment from her...

"How long have you been there and did you hear everything we just discussed?"

"Not long, heard it all, do we know delivery, is it ingested or inhaled?"

"Not yet but getting a sample might give us…"

"Let's put that off as a last option, Pegasus do we have sensor ability?

"I've freed enough resources that you can do a limited sweep, is there a reason?"

"It's too quiet, commence scan."

Within seconds Marjee was seeing her worst fear, the Abh were engaged with the ships Eliana had found, Eliana and Kenesh were on the far edge of the scan returning and…

"Reduce workload, raise shields, open a link to Eliana, Dawn, while we were offline, the Abh have arrived, Eli and Kenesh are inbound to the station and… identify incoming vessel."

"Stand by Marjee accessing scan, in bound is Discovery with Vekk's fleet twenty minutes behind, just on the edge of the scan is Defiance… I'm not sensing Illusion thou. Zachary's group has surrounded us, I believe they were order to protect us while we were occupied and your link request is being refused at the moment."

She was right, what she saw and sensed, those were jump gates and Debeusec was attacking, however she figured his target was the planet, not the ships, and Eli refusing to answer left her wondering.

As Eliana and Kenesh withdrew the sensors picked up something that slowed their movement. The Abh seemed to posses a new weapon, a formidable one at that, gathering data and realizing the battle was expanding in their direction they continued their withdrawal. The link between Kenesh and Eliana was very active to the point that Marjee got ignored.

*"That signature, we'll need a second opinion but a hybrid matter anti matter weapon, I know we've been working on it however if this is more than a prototype."
"It still amazes me, half of our people are former Imperial officers and somehow we seem to have forgotten what the goals of the Empire are. Actually I was hoping the Empire would have figured out a lot of things that were in their infancy when I left, but… did you get enough data because they're heading this way."
"I have, and I also snubbed Marjee, we'll be there soon enough and I'll talk to her after we arrive."
"That last explosion looked pretty nasty, I wonder…"
"Cassie told us to keep our distance, not an ideal situation, but orders are…"
"Meant to be disobeyed when necessary… however… I'm launching a probe we need better Intel."*

Lafiel was viewing the detailed scan; the Abh seemed to be winning. A myriad of energy signatures were detected some known some unknown and since Lafiel had no ideal of how many ships the Abh had committed it was hard to determine the actual losses, moving to navigation she asks.

"How close to the battle will we be when we arrive?"

It's Ariel that answers…

"Not close enough to get you the detail scan you want, we'll have to clear it with Eliana when we arrive. I know that's not the answer you wanted but…"

It wasn't and Lafiel stood watching the outpost come into view, she got her first true look at Pegasus and was taken by it size.

"I knew it was big, but dimensions on paper do not do it justice."

Ariel moved to her and said.

"It's a big ship and a big responsibility which I hope Marjee is able to assume. Speaking of we're being hailed, Marjee on the main viewer."

The outpost was replaced with Marjee's image and a document also appeared on the secondary display as she said.

"Eliana is still inbound; we've recovered this from the planet, since you're related to the Emperor maybe you could shed some light on this."

Lafiel reads the document and there is a discernable change in her as she keeps reading. Finishing the document she says.

"This explains in part why the Empire is here. A bit of history, my brother and I had few friends due to the competive nature of the royal family structure. My meeting Jinto and the direction I took afterwards was the complete opposite of my brother, the Regent mentioned was as close to the Emperor as Jinto is to me today, his death would have come as a shock, and his death by torture would have incensed the Emperor. Using our father as the instrument of his 'revenge' makes perfect sense. Stopping him, knowing this, increases the difficulty factor immensely, do you have any other information on this topic?"

"Nothing more but the information harvest might take years to fully understand, okay years might be a bit, but we're still looking for weaknesses that we can exploit planet side. You've been briefed on what should happen if this planet vanishes am I correct?"

"I have, my concern, like yours, is why take on the ships first? Usually the planet would have been blockaded the ships drawn there and the battle… I wonder if those who did this deed are aboard the ships and not on the planet, it would explain a lot. We'll continue this once we arrive, inform Eliana that you have communicated with me."

"I will."

The probe arrived, oriented itself, and scanned the area, focusing on the largest energy disturbance it started capturing images, images that were received not only by Kenesh and Eliana, but Marjee as well. It's Dawn that comments on the first images.

"Overwhelming firepower directed against a formidable target, but, oh my the cost… they took out the dreadnought, and it seems they are mopping up the rest but, this debris field… at least one hundred separate, uncaged, signatures… one hundred to take out twelve… those are lousy odds."

Images continued to arrive the Abh committed almost four hundred ships to this effort. That left Marjee wondering where the rest of the fleet was… it didn't take long for that information to come to light. Sensors picked numerous gate formations on the edge of the system. It became apparent the Abh were heading to the planet. Dai and Vekk had arrived; Ariel and Lafiel were in proximity scanning range. Transmissions from the Abh were picked up, those transmissions deliberately in the clear, were direct at the Alliance forces.

"To those Alliance forces in and about the Dorian outpost… our target is the planet Arsis IV. We will not tolerate any interference. Keep your distance."

A command link became active. The discussion was brief.

"Battle stations, head for asteroid belt between the Abh and the planet, they'll not get any closer than that. Defiance, establish communications with the Abh and good luck."

The ships from Shahrazad made their move, Zachary followed and Vekk hesitated which was not wasted on Dai.

Opening the already established link she said.

"Indecision Vekk, or covering your tail, which is it?"

"Honestly, both, either I'll join you or remain here"

On the bridge Lafiel stood, several attempts at communications had been rejected, opening a link on Imperial command frequency she said.

"Jemkau, this is Defiance, I request consultation on a serious matter."

Silence, Lafiel waits and restates her request once again. More silence and as Lafiel is about to strengthen her request the link becomes active.

"It has been a long time Lafiel, maybe too long, I'm ready to listen but I have my orders too."

"We wish to take possession of the planet Arsis IV, what are your intentions concerning said planet?"

The link changes to a very secure one and Debeusec continues.

"We are after those we planted on that world, we've already have two agents missing, the seven remaining, my orders are to recover no matter what action maybe necessary. If you want the planet help me recover our people. If not and there's not much of a planet left that is now your decision."

"Stand by Jemkau I'll be back shortly."

Lafiel places the link on hold and opens an Alliance command link; her request is first met with silence.

"I'll say this again, the Abh are after personal that they placed on the planet. If we help them I believe they'll leave the area. And I don't believe we'll have much time to do it. Options if you please."

"Lafiel, Dawn, I've got surveillance devices on the planet, if we know who we're looking for it should not take long to find them…"

From the background Marjee interjects.

"Unless they are in the complex if that's the case we'll have to go in after them. In any case there must be a way to find them if we know that then we'll know where they are. And certainly by now the planet must be aware of what's occurred in space, I'll be surprised if they are still unaware."

Lafiel stood thinking, she'll need a way to recover the Abh, she wondered if they were centrally located or scattered about the planet. Placing the Alliance link on stand by, she reopened the link to Jemkau and said.

"We will recover your people, how do we go about it?"

Recovery instructions arrived along with this message.

"You have ten hours, no more, after that I have orders to recover by any means necessary, which means if you stand in my way you are expendable."

The link closed and the information was disseminated, everyone except Vekk responded it was Dai that said.

"We have a problem Vekk's on the fence and I believe any push will result in … let's locate or targets first and then figure out how to recover them."

Altering course and scanning the planet the Alliance approached Arsis IV.

Dawn's reaction to the extraction instructions was.

"A biological marker, how novel, and all we have to do, is find seven unique signatures among the planetary population. Adjusting sensors and beginning the scan."

As the fleet scanned the common link between ships from Shahrazad opened. Lafiel was speaking.

"Finding them is the problem, I've figured out a way to extract them from the surface. We're transforming cargo bay three to a holding area. Using the transporter located there we'll grab them one by one. Keeping our technology secure once we have them all, I'll transport them via shuttle to the Imperial fleet. I know Abh despise having their atoms scattered and reconstituted but since there is no ground support and we want to keep casualties to a minimum. That's the best I can come up with."

The balance of the fleet was drawing a blank; Lafiel's idea was accepted as Eliana said.

"I'm getting with Zachary, have his group take a position were they can observe, just in case the Empire missed something. And we have data from the probe, the Abh, although seeming victorious, their losses, they are pretty steep. Estimate seventy five lost on energy signature disruptions and another fifty or so damaged showing leaking energy. We'll never have firm numbers but..."

Lafiel was visibly shaken; at least a thousand had died. It wasn't her problem. She refocused her efforts at preparing the cargo bay to receive visitors.

"Actually my orders are to support you, so having me be look out falls in the within the scope of those orders. I'm glad you didn't ask us to accompany you to the planet. I would have had to refuse."

Eliana closed the link, reopened the command link and said.

"Zachary is playing look out. Says that is all his orders will allow him to do. Kenesh and I are going high orbit and the rest of you divide up the planet. Don't assume that a remote location won't contain our passengers. As soon as we find them we'll figure out how to transport them."

Forth orbit of the planet yielded those they were looking for. They seemed to be heading away from population centers. That brought this from Kenesh.

"We wondered if the planet knew what has happened, it would seem something is moving our targets away from population which would make sense if they figured they were going to be recovered, I suggest we observe to see if they are heading to a predetermined location, if so picking them up will be child's play."

Dai chimed in next.

"Detecting planetary defenses becoming operational, looks like our scans have upset them. I suggest we raise defenses and our orbits."

Ariel says.

"All well and good for you, we have to stay low orbit to transport and some cover might be a good idea."

That brought this response from Marjee.

"We'll cover you and we're working on disabling those ground defenses."

Link silence followed Marjee's comment. Aboard Pegasus Dawn had sent the bugs back to the old building in hopes of compromising their systems. She was having limited success, as that was occurring Marjee and the Commander were carefully targeting ground defenses should Dawn's efforts fail.

"Marjee I understand your deference to attacking targets close to population concentrations, but the planetary defense are placed in such a way that we're going to do damage to innocent inhabitants its unavoidable."

"Dawn, talk to me, what kind of success are you having?"

Marjee's answer was being displayed on the main viewer, one by one infrastructure layers of the planet were being shut down. Within ten minutes the planetary defenses were rendered inert and the force field surrounding the compound has been disabled. Turning to Marjee, Dawn said.

"It'll take them at least a day or better to restore normalcy and it won't be normal, I've rendered some of their systems not only disabled, but I've managed to change their master logins. They'll figure it out in time, but… If we were going to take possession of the planet, now world be the time, we've got them cold."

Eliana had just fed Marjee and Dawn's conversation to Vekk. His initial response was none; only after a little persuasion from Eliana did he moved towards the planet and prepared to land ground forces. It was decided that once the Abh had been removed from the planet, Vekk would land forces with capturing the complex their top priority. Opening a link to Ariel, Eliana inquired.

"How soon until you have your passengers?"

"We've got two left and they're getting close enough to the point we took the rest from that, figure ten minutes, I'll let you know when we're done."

Lafiel had made her way to the area those recovered from the planet were being held, as the last two were plucked from the planet. Opening the hatch she was approached by several Abh's who stopped abruptly when they realized who they were dealing with.

"Your Highness, ah we didn't know…"

"Return to your seats and listen carefully, my being here is to return you to a waiting Abh fleet, they will debrief you upon your arrival, my only question to you is does anyone require medical assistance?"

No medical assistance was required, basic needs were provided and then they were transferred to a shuttle for their return to Debeusec. It was an uneventful trip. Approaching the Abh fleet Lafiel opened communications.

"Father, I've recovered your people, where would you like them?"

A transport approximately ten thousand meters off her starboard side opened a docking bay. Lafiel approached, docked, her passengers were released, and her ship ejected back to space with this message.

"The Empire thanks you for you actions, now return the way you came without delay."

Lafiel complied; as she left she took note of several gates opening and the vast majority of Debeusec's fleet departing the area. Her thoughts returned to something her father has said decades earlier.

'You'll know when the mission is complete without asking, when the Star Fleet is done, they leave in mass remember that.'

Approaching the planet she took note of Vekk's landing, back aboard Defiance she approached Ariel and said.

"You realize this is only the beginning, we've done nothing except put a stop to a present danger. I hope Marjee has the answers we seek, because we need to understand who we just defeated, if this is a defeat for them, the whys behind this… so many questions to be answered, then there is the Alliance which at this moment is close to falling apart. Looks like I need to come out of retirement for our own good and possible survival. Contact Eliana, request permission to return to base, she's got plenty of firepower here and I need to get back planet side."

Permission was granted and Defiance left, twenty four hours later Arsis IV was secured and the real fight began.

To be continued in: The Silent Society: Epilogue

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."