79_Return to the Source

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

79_Return to the Source

Post by Diaho »

Return to the Source

"Personal log, Cassandra Lynn recording: I've approached Marjee about taking Pegasus back to the Sol system. She accepted without hesitation, although I wish she had questioned me more before accepting. The reason for this excursion is the data we've recovered from Pegasus itself. Where its been and what it has observed, thou its been a couple of centuries since, I want the ship to experience the system in its current state and investigate the newly spawned, we're guessing almost fifteen hundred years ago, sun and associated system it created. Lastly the report from Discovery, which is nearly century old, related information that should be followed up on if nothing has changed. Scholar is going for obvious reasons, I'm tossed up on whom else to include, Noel expressed an interest, however she's behind on the planetary project and we're close to deciphering the final layer of information of those who inhabited this world before us… I hate to stall that project for any longer. I guess before I made the offer I should have told Marjee it's not a direct trip. There were co ordinates gleaned from Society maps that lay along the route to Sol. either on the way out or back she should look into those places as well. We estimate she'll be gone the better part of a solar year and investigation means just that, since she'll be alone, avoiding conflict will be a must. I think I'll give her some wiggle room when next we meet. Knowing the entire mission without any surprises might not set well with her."

Pegasus sits in space dock. Provisions for its upcoming trip are being loaded. Robert is directing the effort, as another pallet of supplies arrive the dock master inquires.

"I understand they'll be gone a year and might not find provisions along the way, but these last pallets, they're 'spare' parts? Do you know something that I should know?"

Robert takes the question, formulates an understandable answer and says.

"They'll not be any maintenance facilities where they are going, although Pegasus is a proven design as you are well aware things break when you least expect it. Marjee's engineering experience combined with what we are providing her, outside of major structural damage she'll be able to repair most expected failures. She'll also will deploy and retrieve communications devices as she progresses. Given at her maximum distance, a message will take several days to arrive and a response will take the same, at least we'll know her status."

The dock master turns away from Robert, takes in the view of Pegasus moored before him and says.

"Have you considered that this could end up being a 'one way' trip?"

Not phased by the comment Robert turns and leaves the area, with the dock master's inquiry, that was at least the twentieth time today, that thought had crossed his mind.

A conference room in the Command Center is in use. Scholar occupies the room with star charts are displayed and routes projected, standing in the middle of the room, engrossed in the main display, is where Mia, Jasmine and Saio find Scholar. Raising the room lights Mia says.

"Mother did you understand what I said to you yesterday, after your physical exam? Looking at what you're doing I believe you've completely ignored everything I've said."

Undaunted Scholar lowers the room lighting and inputs data as she said.

"If memory serves you said I was fit to return to duty with no limitations. Did you say anything else after that?"

Even with the lighting dimmed Jasmine could see Mia's face getting redder by the second. Before there was an explosion of irrational data she said.

"Scholar, your memory is sound, do you remember what Saio and I said?"

Scholar's unemotional expression changed, her features softened as she said.

"I do, I understand you're looking out for my welfare, but, I've been given another chance, I'll be able to do something I've always dreamt of, had this regeneration not been as successful, I'd not be here having this conversation…"

Mia interrupted at this point and said bluntly.

"Stable you are at this moment in time, but, you're planning on being gone for better than a year. Tell me your crystal ball is working as well. Mother we came VERY close to losing you this time. I'm sorry if it was in my power I'd ground you to this planet, but it's not, however in good conscious I can't let you leave without expressing my concern and misgivings about you leaving. Knowing good and well you're going to charge on in spite of what's been said."

Scholar brought the room to a pause, raised the lights, took in Mia's expression and said

"You're correct; I have no defense for what you said. That said would you really be happy if I stayed. I doubt it; I'll say this I plan on coming home alive along with the rest of the crew and the ship as well. If for one moment I thought I would jeopardize this expedition I'd stay. So darling daughter of mine, I appreciate your concern and I would have been upset if you hadn't said something before I left. I'll stay safe and bring hopefully a wealth of information home with me."

Scholar moved to Mia, embraced her, Mia turned and left, Jasmine followed as Saio said.

"I'm sending medical staff with you, and they'll have a complete history of all aboard. So if you're not feeling on par, tell someone. Your body's been through hell, it seems healthy at the moment but… Look I'm not going to lecture you, you're quite aware of what I mean. See you in a year, stay out of trouble."

Saio left, Scholar powered up the room once again, staring at the main display, a lone tear falls from her chin.

Lily had completely recovered, physically and mentally, from her ordeal. It left her with a renewed appreciation for life. Robert had asked her to double check the performance data from the recent ship tests and with that accomplished she sat her notes on the table. Sitting next to the display was a folder labeled 'Project Sol' opening it she realized why Robert had been working long hours; Marjee was heading on a research / recon mission. Taking in the mission objectives Lily realized how potentially dangerous this will be and her feelings kicked in. She was torn between letting the mission go on with her not commenting, or causing a disturbance and voicing her opinion, which no one had asked for. Setting the folder aside she would think about taking action before Robert returned.

There was another binder on her desk, a pet project she'd been working on for quite sometime. Prototypes had a couple of years in service, the six production models were in service with the training fleet. With the next dozen ready to be deployed, she had approval to equip Pegasus with Stingers, single pilot, recon / attack vessels, more than fighters, equipped with observation gear they could, and had, entered areas that normal ships dare not tread, stealth and formidable fire power, for their size, made them a logical choice for use in 'Project Sol'. There was a launch bay aboard Pegasus that once housed its attack craft. Six Stingers would fit nicely in that area. This would give Marjee some added flexibility, there would be no need to approach a potentially hostile area with the ship, a Stinger or two could be launched and… Lily shut the binder as she heard Robert entering the house. He wasn't aware of the additional craft going and… breaking this to him was going to take some finesse. Uncertain of how he will take in this information, she opened a drawer of the desk, and placed the binder out of sight as he entered the room.

"Lily, I was supervising loading and… the last two pallets of spare parts were… you got permission to equip Marjee with Stingers didn't you?"

Opening the desk drawer she took the binder out and handed it to Robert. Opening it and reading the cover pages he closed it and continued.

"I wish you had come to me before…"

"I did, remember after the initial planning meeting, you put me off and never returned to the subject, you didn't say no although you never said yes, so…"

Robert took a double take, searching his mind for the incident Lily had mentioned, she had asked and he had forgotten. His disposition changed as he said.

"You're correct, I do remember the conversation and… I didn't think you'd go ahead on your own, but I agree all the options we can give Marjee will…"

"Ensure her safe return?" Lily replied.

Robert moved to her, pulled her towards him in a loving embrace and said.

"Yes, bring them home safely."

Marjee and Scholar were running late, the meeting was suppose to start at ten sharp and it was already quarter after as they entered the Command Center. Opening the door the reception committee was more than either of them expected. Gathered were the command group along with their second in command, Intel officers and Lafiel. This briefing resembled a formal hearing more than an information exchange and it was Cassandra that said.

"You're late, sit and listen you'll have the opportunity to ask questions once we're finished."

As the briefing progressed; the causal demeanor that Marjee and Scholar had, took on a serious tone. The entire mission was outlined in detail. Dawn provided all the information, which wasn't much, about the area they were heading to and finished it off by saying.

"The Sol system we've not seen in quite sometime, the planets and areas along your route I have no idea what you'll encounter. With that I turn the conversation over to…"

Lafiel moved to the main display. Activating it, the image of a Stinger appeared as she said.

"While formidable, Pegasus is not indestructible, that said you'll be taking six of these with you. We're recruiting pilots to operate them, as with all of the personnel involved in the endeavor, its voluntary and we're still looking for those able and willing to go. Now that you've seen everything, do you still want to take on this mission?"

Lafiel's last sentence hung over Marjee's head. Initially you couldn't have stopped her from going, but after seeing the objectives… a quick glance to Scholar and she said.

"I'd like to look at everything at length, if possible could I have three days before I give you an answer?"

Cassandra, who was flanked by Plakia and KO asked.

"Three days is, are you sure you can absorb everything we've laid out in three days?"

"I… um we believe so."

"Three days it is and should you need more time let me know. If that's it we'll reconvene here in three days at ten, sharp."

Marjee and Scholar picked up copies of the mission objectives and all the data compiled then left the room. Cassandra looked at Lafiel and said.

"Something's off I figured Marjee would have turned down this mission but…"

It was KO that said.

"Maybe I'm on a different wavelength but if you noticed, I believe Scholar and Marjee were linked the entire time they were sitting there and the possibility that Pegasus had access to this briefing as well."

Cassandra took in KO comment, realized she might be right and said.

"We'll know in three days, while half of me wants this to precede the other half…"

"Is scared out of its mind over it?" Lafiel finished.

"Exactly mother, I couldn't have worded it any better."

The group retreated and as KO was walking through the Village she found Scholar and Marjee having lunch. Inviting herself over, she said.

"I'm a little surprised; I figured you'd jump at this, but…"

It was Scholar that answered.

"I'm amazed; you of all people should know what happens when you leap from the frying pan into the fire."

Unfazed, KO continued.

"You were using a very sophisticated link just now, I barely sensed it. And I'll venture Pegasus was listening to everything that was being said."

Scholar looked up and made eye contact with KO as she said.

"Correct on all counts, that has me a bit surprised, if you sensed the link, you've recovered better than I figured you would. Now I sense you shared your feelings with Cassandra, I'll assume since she's not here she believed you?"

Moving to the table and pulling out a seat she faced them and said.

"Not so much belief, but acceptance, now between us, are you seriously considering going this alone?"

Marjee, who had been reading from her tablet, raised her head faced KO and said.

"The trip to the Sol system I consider a once in a lifetime event, that said, the 'side' trips, while important, I feel they can be accomplished without endangering the 'main' mission. The reason I asked for the three days was to confirm that what I'm thinking can be accomplished. As much as I'd like to chit chat, figuring this out is my top priority."

Returning to her tablet Marjee shut out the conversation that was about to begin. KO turned to Scholar and asked.

"Going to a 'dead' system is more important than discovering who might have been behind the 'Society'?"

Scholar has a look of dismay and said.

"That 'dead' system, as you called it, is the root that most of us came from. How it ended up that way and any history we might find may very well explain the division in humankind, especially if said divisions are what pushed mankind to space. Although the data from Arsis IV is important, if we find something at Sol, the other stops might or might not be needed. I've confused you; I can sense it you'll have to wait, like the others, until we meet again, now if you will excuse us we have a lot of reading to do in a very short time."

KO slid the chair back and left, Scholar joined Marjee in reading as a familiar voice was heard in their heads.

"Marjee, KO doesn't believe you, her thoughts have betrayed her, however she's not going to say anything until you've presented your facts three days from now. In regards to your previous inquiry, Dawn has surveillance devices that fit the mission parameters. I must admit the though of launching 'spying' devices to the places that we've discovered is pure…"

"Pegasus, don't try to 'butter' me up, this is a logical plan, with some serious logistics to accomplish. That's where you come in, given what you know and what we've given you can the feat be done or not?"

"I'm still working on it probability of success is currently seventy-five percent."

Scholar answered before Marjee could.

"Not acceptable, get that number in the mid to high nineties and then we'll consider it probable. There will be around sixty people housed in your hull; the object is accomplishment with NO loss. Keep compiling the data; find another twenty percent and how we guarantee its success."

"Marjee, there is the possibility that you might be asking the impossible you do realize that?"

"Impossible, if it is, then home we stay, end of discussion."

As dusk grew closer Marjee and Scholar retreated to Marjee's quarters to continue their research.

A newly delivered Stinger sat in the construction bay. Approaching the craft and opening the canopy, Robert took a seat and powered the craft up. Lily and her mother's dream, an all purpose attack craft with intelligence gathering abilities. Paging through the menus Robert realized why Lily went over his head and got permission to send these to space with Marjee. He thought, 'now how do I admit she was correct without getting, "I told you so", from her.'

The Arsis IV system remains under constant surveillance, the reason since the intervention almost seventy craft have arrived, their crews wishing to join the Society. Some were merely pilgrims, others solders of fortune bringing skills and weaponry with them. There has been several firefights as vessels were intercepted and it seems more are arriving weekly. The Alliance council has been is session for the last two weeks straight trying to formulate a more cohesive plan to deal with those arrivals. The fighting and bickering have brought any progress to a halt.

Cassandra had been monitoring the progress, or lack there of, with interest, but a shuttle was arriving and when its passengers entered the Command Center everything was about to change, drastically. Sari found Cassandra in the gardens and said.

"Eliana's shuttle has arrived and… she's not alone… she's accompanied by her younger sister, the reigning monarch…"

Sari's words hit Cassandra's ears and didn't register at first; it was after a moment she said.

"An unannounced royal visit, no way, Eliana would have sent prior word unless…"

Making their way to the Center they arrived just as the door opened and Eliana entered dressed in her formal uniform with her sister at her side in a white dress. Cassandra approached making the motions of a formal greeting as Eliana said.

"Not a formal visit Cassandra, I believe you know my sister, she's here to…"

Eliana was stopped by her sister moving from her side and standing before Cassandra as she said.

"The criminal that kidnapped me, we took possession of him recently, before he was executed, he made several statements that, at first, we thought were the ramblings of a demented mind. However under further investigation we have determined he was divulging plans that… we shouldn't have killed him so quickly, but what is done is done. I tried approaching the Alliance and the current petty feuding that is occurring… I asked Eliana to bring me here in the hope you'll not only understand but take action concerning the data I'm about to hand over to you."

Eliana returned to her sister's side, Cassandra offered her hand in greeting and said.

"Your Highness; I'd be happy to review the data and in return, I would also ask if you could stay in our care until we verify what you've bought."

Eliana started to protest it was her sister that stopped her and handing over the data over said.

"A little time away from home, I could use a working vacation and I spotted the most intriguing gardens that require investigation, with your permission."

A nod from Cassandra, Eliana and her sister departed. Sari took the data from Cassandra moved to a table displayed it read the cover and said.

"You were looking for puzzle pieces, Eli's sister just handed you most of the interconnecting pieces. You better read this, and Marjee may no longer have the ability to opt out of this mission."

The data from Arsis IV had generated a timeline which was missing some pieces. For the past half century the Society had quietly gathered those who wished for freedom from oppression, at least that was their public face.

Truth be told, their 'Empire', on paper, would make any oppressive government known to mankind seem a paradise in comparison. The outline of the ramblings of not so mad of a man brought chills to Cassandra.

"Sari, give this to Dawn, have her plug it into the data we have I want to see it when she's done and then… if it fits in, we'll deliver it to Marjee."

Sari leaves, Cassandra heads to the garden, she finds Eliana and her sister viewing the wealth of plants Lafiel has gathered. Asking Eliana for a moment of her time and moving away from her sister Cassandra said.

"Do you have any idea the gravity of what your sister gave to us?"

"No I wasn't present for the execution I… Cassie, what's wrong, you look like you've seen a ghost… Wait you're not trying to tell me…"

"We'll know shortly, Dawn has what your sister brought and if it fits… We'll cross that bridge when it becomes necessary. Now go back to your sister, when I need you I'll send for you and thank her for coming."

Cassandra leaves, Eliana returns to her sister who notices immediately the change in her person, before she could say anything Eliana asks.

"Sister, what did you give Cassandra?"

Spying a bench she made her way there and had Eliana sit next to her. She said to her in quiet tones the following.

"What I gave Cassandra was a five hour video confession, with a brief outline attached. Eli, he begged and pleaded for us not to take his life and then once he realized we wouldn't reconsider he started spouting, names, places, events, details in what we thought was an attempt to put off our sentence for as long as possible. When the chief judge had, had her fill of his ramblings she told him he had little time to finish. Ignoring her he continued and ten cycles later the sentence was carried out. His dying words were; 'You fools you've made a grievous error. When we reviewed the video our intelligence chief nearly fainted. That's when I decided to take what I had to the Alliance and when I found you staring at the nonsense they were spewing forth. Had you not been there I'm not sure what I would have done. Did I do the right thing by coming here thou? "

Without hesitation Eliana took her sister's hands looked her in the eye and said.

"Yes my dear sister, you probably, no most definitely, have given us information that will save many lives."

They finished the gardens and retired for the evening.

Sari had just delivered the data received from Eli's sister to Dawn. Reading the outline Dawn proceeded to upload the confession to Pegasus's database; it took thirty minutes for the preliminary answer to be displayed. The summery was transcripted, placed on a tablet and handed back to Sari, as Dawn said.

"That's only a preliminary finding, but it should give Cassandra enough to go on. I feel the complete assessment should be ready early tomorrow, before noon. When it's complete I'll have it delivered."

Sari left, it was getting late as she approached the Command Center she saw Cassandra and Lafiel standing outside in conversation. Making her presence known she handed Cassandra the tablet and said.

"Dawn's pulling an all-nighter she said before noon tomorrow you'll have the complete analysis. From what little I saw, I have the feeling your assessment was pretty much on target. If there is nothing more I'm calling it a day."

Cassandra thanked Sari and wished a good evening, as Sari left, Cassandra powered up the tablet, took great interest in the document, paused, handed the tablet to Lafiel. Lafiel took less than a minute to read it, stopped, pointed at the Center and said.

"Looks like Dawn's not the only one doing an all-nighter, shall we?"

They headed into the Center, it was just past sunset, and it would be another ten hours before sunrise.

Marjee's deep in thought, the data pad's on her lap the information displayed, when a cold chill runs up and down her spine. Looking around the room she catches sight of Scholar with a remote and concerning look upon her face. Without thinking she says.

"What did I just experience, was that you who…"

Scholar takes a moment gathers her thoughts and says.

"That was Pegasus my dear, the AI… has… we need to return to the ship at once."

Setting everything aside Scholar and Marjee were seen making a bee line to the docks where Pegasus was moored. The main hatched was locked from the inside and after several attempts Marjee was able to gain access. Aboard the found all power being redirected to the AI. Approaching the interface a force field was in place, initially access was denied then Marjee forced the issue to which Pegasus finally responded

"It's you Marjee; excuse the security efforts but… now that you are aboard… Dawn has fed some exceptionally disturbing data about the Society… but why… wait did I… I did broadcast… I hope you were the only ones who sensed …"

The AI interface became active, the confession supplied by Eli's sister started playing, excerpts, highlights, of the video and what Scholar and Marjee witnessed was… Scholar moved to the main display activated it, projected the course they had planned to follow and said.

"If what we've heard is true… Going to Sol first seems out of the question. If what we're being shown has any truth to it. That would explain the trickling of resources that are ending up at Arsis IV… it's highly possible to hide anything in space… but… this needs verification… I suggest we launch a probe to the area indicated…"

Marjee places her hand on Scholars shoulder and says.

"You're probably correct but we're still home, it'll be up to Command to make that call, although I strongly suggest we take what we have and get Cassie up… this won't wait till morning…"

Dawn appearing on the viewer distracts Marjee and seeing that Marjee and Scholar were aboard brought this from her.

"I wondered why my data stream suddenly ceased… so what have you two learned and Pegasus please reestablish the link."

The link was established and Dawn saw what Marjee and Scholar had seen. Her demeanor changed as she said.

"Cassie and Lafiel are at Command, pulling an all-nighter, take what you have there and tell them to open a scrambled link to me when you get there. You telling them directly means that no one will know we're going to talk. I hope this is a wild goose chase but… if it's not…"

Dawn stopped talking and closed the link. Scholar and Marjee left Pegasus and returned to the surface. Entering the Command Center a surprised Cassandra said.

"Weren't you two in the Village? Why are you here?"

Marjee motioned Cassandra to sit as she said.

"We were in the Village and in the last hour and a half we've been to Pegasus and back. Dawn requests that you open a scrambled link to her, she'll explain why we are here and this data is part of the reason as well."

Lafiel takes the data from Scholar as Cassandra opens the link to Dawn. Seeing who is in the room Dawn says.

"Have you viewed the data Cassandra?"

"I just received it, should I look at it or are you going to tell me…"

"Look at it, we'll not discuss it on any sort of transmission, I feel there is an excellent possibility we're being monitored and I'll stop there."

Cassandra and Lafiel view the data; Lafiel continues to read the details as Cassandra returns to the display and says.

"Is this verified?"

"We're not one hundred percent positive but certain enough to say it's highly likely. Discuss with Marjee her thoughts. I'll be there right after sunrise and we'll go into detail then."

The link closes and Cassandra says.

"Who would be…? Marjee is she implying we're compromised?"

"I believe so, Pegasus has, Cassie I had to break into my own ship because the AI was convinced it was being monitored."

Lafiel joined Cassandra looked at Marjee and Scholar then said.

"Cassie, its five hours till sunrise… lets get some sleep for I believe this is going to be one long and frustrating day. Also it mentioned that a probe should be launched in a certain direction. It has sound data supporting the move I suggest we dispatch one at the earliest launch window."

Cassandra looked at Lafiel, if she was insisting the probe be launched then she found something in the data that was compelling enough to lead her to this decision. Pulling up the area in question a window would open in approximately nine hours thirty six minutes with that she said.

"Prep the probe we'll decide to launch after we talk later today. I have to admit sleep sounds marvelous, we're adjourned until eight thirty, sharp."

The meeting broke up, Marjee and Scholar took the long way back to the Village it was Marjee that said quietly.

"I've never encountered such, I don't want to call it emotion, from Pegasus, but I'm at a loss to explain what we felt."

Scholar continued for about a meter then stopped turning and facing Marjee she said.

"What I felt was the conflict that a young child feels the first time they realize the world's not a safe place. A loss of innocence and the confusion that follows, I'm not saying Pegasus has lost faith in us but something in that video might have stirred an old 'memory'. Before we leave we need to know what and why so if it happens again we'll be able to regain control, imagine if we were in a bind and the ship suddenly went overly protective… the results could be… we should sleep and tackle this later."

It was late; arriving at their quarters they retired and fell into a deep sleep.

On the return leg of their patrol Independence and Discovery are inbound to Shahrazad a communications link is open as we listen in…

"This is truly a marvelous ship, it been quite some time since we did a patrol and didn't have any 'bugs' aboard. Kenesh how was your trip?"

"No complaints, also I have to ask, was you trip without incident as well?"

"Since you mentioned it, eerily quiet would describe this voyage… have you heard from Plakia?"

"Not since we left Dorian space, she was on the outer orbit; I believe she was going to the Arsis system then along the border with the Zon Empire. This means she's probably three solar days out. None of the warning devices have triggered so you would think…"

"That's true, Shawn's still out as well and he is closer to that area than we were … KO and Marjee are still at port, if anything had gone awry they would have launched Paveryua and Illusion. I don't know maybe I worry too much."

"Dai, that’s rather unnerving coming from you. I for one should be the one worrying since Plakia and I go back a long way… estimating docking in five hours we should talk then."

"You'll arrive before I do, but the café in the village in say, eight hours."

"I'll be waiting."

The link closes and Dai notices another link flashing on her console opening it she finds Hoi and…

"Captain, can you stop by engineering as soon as possible."

"On my way."

Off the bridge and descending into the heart of the ship Dai enters engineering to find Hoi looking at a scan of Shahrazad, spying Dai she says.

"I was making the routine maintenance log transfer to home when I took notice of this…"

Pointing to the display which is showing the ship placement in and about Shahrazad, Hoi continues.

"If you'll notice the home fleets drastically repositioned and I can't see any of the Stingers not a one of them. We've not received anything from Command have we?"

Dai was taking in the view, Hoi, like her mother, was overly inquisitive, a quality Dai had accepted yet…

"Not a word from Command and, as far as this data goes, not a word leaves this room. Remember what happened the last time we 'jumped the gun' Cassie about had our hides. Keep observing, if anything else looks out of place come find me and tell me about it. There are times I wish that you and Ariel would… never mind things mechanical confuse the hell out of her… make sure we arrive in one operational piece and I'll handle the rest… okay Hoi?"

"Understood Captain."

"Defiance Captain's Log: We've fired our first shots in anger… approaching Arsis IV a small battle group appeared in front of us and opened fire without any warning. Damage is minimal, the skirmish lasted about ten minuets with the group completely dispatched. Presently we are along the boarder with the Zon Empire. Samson, under Shawn's command, is approximately a half light year from our position. We'll rendezvous in four hours just outside the Suran outpost in sector one forty four. I forwarded a report of this incident to Alliance headquarters almost ten hours ago and… we've heard nothing, I can confirm the report was received but I feel its sitting on someone's desk, that person, either too afraid to or not caring to forward it along. That's part of the discussion Shawn and I will have then we'll return to base and report the incident since recently those reports are to be presented in person. Something that puzzles me and something I plan on getting answers to once I'm back."

"Captain, communications from flag, they're requesting we make best speed possible to the rendezvous point."

"Engineering this is the Captain, go to battle speed, communications tell flag we'll be there in…"

Raising from her seat and looking at the navigator, her look is replied to.

"Forty seven minutes give or take three minutes for orbit correction."

"Comm., inform flag, fifty minutes."

"Aye Captain engineer reports battle speed."

"Very well carry on."

Plakia returns to the center seat ties into the ship and waits.

Aboard Illusion KO and Sarah are securing the ship as Leo reports…

"Captain, monitoring devices around Arsis IV have detected a firefight has occurred."

KO approaches the terminal and says.

"Fire fights are the norm around there why are you reporting this event?"

"Weapon discharges bear the signature of generation eight weaponry, probably from Defiance, but I'm unable to verify the data."

KO opened the log and sees that the data stream was being compromised. Making a copy of the data she instructs Sarah to meet her at Command once the ship is secure. KO's off to the platform and the thirty minute ride to the surface, once there instead of going directly to Command she stops by Marjee's and…

The sound of knocking brought Marjee out of a sound sleep. It was just after sunrise, so who was causing this commotion because it shouldn't be Cassie. Checking Scholar, who was fast asleep, and her attire, she headed to the door. Unlatching it KO faced her.

"Morning sleepy head, I though I was going to have to pick the lock to get in. Scholar's still out I see, I'll get to the point, I'm heading to Command and the reason is I have data that Plakia was in a firefight, but I have no more because someone is trying to jam our incoming data. Have you experienced something similar?"

Marjee was about to answer when a voice from the other room said.

"Somebody tried to hack Pegasus. We're going to have a meeting soon about it. Have you shared this information in any other way besides in person?"

"No that's why I stopped by, I sensed something was not right and figured you two would know… mind if I invite myself to this meeting?"

Scholar entered the room, dressed ready to leave. She motioned to Marjee to get ready and she continued the conversation with KO.

"What I'm about to say… you know the drill… Eliana sister brought data that… well, it's pretty scary and she'll be there along with Eliana, Dawn and I have an idea of who else might be there, but let's see when we get there. Plakia, you said she'd been attacked was she damaged?"

"Don't know the data stream was being interfered with, it possible but if it was serious I figured we'd hear from someone by now. Shawn's commanding Samson in Eliana's absence, he's got all of her crew aboard and if Plakia … Gods I hope Plakia's not hurt, given Shawn's temperament…"

Marjee enters the room and the three of them head for the Command Center. Approaching they see Sarah and Sari in a rather animated conversation. As they get nearer the subject becomes clear.

"Look sister, you know something about what I'm talking about, I'm telling you Illusion was being scanned at a level only possible from within our local network, face the fact somewhere in the system somebody has access to local net and is raising hell."

KO and group were approaching Sari and Sarah from behind the conversation suddenly stopped as Scholar told them, telepathically, to cease, at once. Turning to find KO and company behind them Sari said.

"You're early, must be something important that would get you two up at this time of day."

Before Marjee could respond KO said.

"Does Plakia being involved in an unreported firefight about Arsis IV count as important enough?"

Dumbfounded Sari said.

"Not possible we would have received… wait, sister, this is data you're going on about. How come Illusion… okay something's amiss?"

KO approached them and said.

"Illusion and Pegasus, while part of the local net are also independent operating systems. They've sensed something was wrong and Pegasus took itself off line, while Illusion tried to trace the source which caused it to isolate as well. Somebody trusted has made a gateway to our local net and is exporting data out and scrambling data inbound after receiving it intact. We need to rip this planet apart and find those responsible, now. So Sari, you go wake up who ever needs waking and have them get here, yesterday, Capiche."

Plakia arrived and found a shuttle waiting to board her ship. Making her way to the shuttle bay the shuttle was received and a group of technicians along with Shawn exited the shuttle the conversation was…

"Grandmother, hello I have reason to believe your AI's been compromised. These people are here to investigate and once you're certified clear. You'll not make contact with the planetary network and when we leave we're heading at max speed home, unannounced."

Plakia was absorbing Shawn statement as one of the Tech's exclaimed.

"Captain, you were correct, it's the same bug we had, give us a half hour and they'll be ready to go."

Plakia was aghast; Shawn picked up on it and said.

"We found it by accident I took the AI offline to do some manual training and when I linked with the ship I saw the exit open and data being sent home. We left the AI isolated and did what we told it was routine maintenance and found the extra programs seamlessly integrated into the system. By now someone on the planet realizes they are no longer receiving information from us. Hopefully they'll figure it a network error but when you disappear, they'll figure out we've found their unauthorized program and will try to leave… I know where they are and we'll get there before they realize you're no longer sending data to them. That's the plan, unfortunately we can't tell home about it because it will tip our hand."

Plakia took a look around her the AI was off line and being purged. Shawn's plan was valid except for the planetary defense fleet their sudden appearance will cause…

"What about the defense fleet, we drop in unannounced and…"

"They've been moved to allow our hacker to leave without being challenged. I plan on using and blocking that escape route. As soon as you're back on line you'll have the operational details, basically you follow me and make sure nobody approaches us from behind."

"Simple plans are the best I'm glad you were paying attention. I'll be happy when I get you back, although, command does look good on you."

"Thank you grand mother might I remind you another ship is ready to be commissioned and I'd like to be it's Captain unless you have reservations?"

"Let's set that subject aside and discuss it after this issue is settled."

"Agreed, looks like you're coming back on line when you're ready, signal me with your mooring light and we'll head home. I need to go, see you at home."

With that the shuttle loaded up and left, it took Plakia ten minutes to get ready, mooring lights flashed and they were on the way, estimated time of arrival, zero nine thirty planetary time.

It was a little after eight when the meeting began, KO and Dawn compared notes, Cassandra and Lafiel sat patiently. Marjee was pacing and Scholar seemed to be in a trance. Sari and Sarah sat taking in the tension that was building in the room. A little over an hour passed.

Dawn and KO were in a discussion, Marjee was sitting by herself. Cassandra and Lafiel were taking greater interest in the discussion that was occurring in front of them. The problem was, although conclusive, the source of the hack was still eluding Dawn and KO. They were about to regroup when the planetary proximity warning system became active. Switching to the main display a surprise was presented. Two targets identified as Defiance and Samson had dropped out of warp on top of the southern pole and seemed to be attacking something in low orbit. At the same time a shuttle was launched from Samson heading to the surface. Neither ship was registering on the network all communications were being refused, it was then Cassandra's creunoc became active. The message, in text, was being displayed. She read it aloud.

"You've been hacked… we know from where and are purging the problem. Be patient and keep our hounds at bay. If Marjee and KO are with you I need their uncompromised AI's on line as soon as possible… Shawn…"

Scholar approached Cassandra looked at her creunoc as KO and Marjee's ship links became active. It was Lyra that spoke for both ships.

"We're receiving a binary transmission from Samson, requesting permission to execute the program referenced."

KO and Marjee answered approval in unison. Systems planet side started going into standby mode. Tactical displays were being routed through Illusion it was then they saw what Shawn and Plakia were seeing. In low orbit above the southern pole was a previously cloaked transport its communications arrays aimed at the main planetary defense platform. On the planet was an installation, also cloaked, that was tapped into the planets local network… Plakia had the transport detained and boarded; Shawn had troops on the surface.

The perpetrators were from the latest group of Zon immigrants. They compromised the system as they were being processed. The last month's worth of data was found aboard the transport, they were about to transmit it home as they were attacked. A reverse engineered bug was placed in altered data and set on its way with Dawn saying.

"Somebody is going to get a very nasty surprise, and deservedly so. It'll be interesting who yells foul when their systems crash. Then again, there is a good possibility we may never know."

The local net was restored; the data from Eli's sister was finally merged with the data from Pegasus. Placing the two together there is a possibility that those who messed with the local net might have known the answer Pegasus was about to supply. Shortly after the information was verified an investigative probe was launched towards a system along the route Pegasus was projected to pass on it way to the Sol system. It will be within scanning range in six weeks take a week to observe the system and return. About midway it will meet up with Pegasus dump the data then return to Shahrazad that is if Pegasus launches on schedule, which at this time was still up in the air.

After Samson and Defiance finished at the southern pole, Discovery and Independence arrived to find Plakia in repair bay six and Shawn awaiting their arrival. After a question and answer session, then, later the evening a meeting took place in the Command Center; Dawn was addressing the group with the topic…

"We know what they were after, and they came very close to getting it. They were hoping to compromise our system, empty Pegasus's data banks and so infect our system to leave us defenseless for an extended period while they took possession of this system. What they didn't figure on was the technology that both ships were constructed from. It seems that those who built said ship must have dealt with this kind of intervention before, programmed them to recognize and defend against such attacks. Something we had not found buried in their base programming. Simply put they were working so we didn't investigate any further. An oversight on our part. In conclusion once the system is up and running again, we should decide on whether to send Pegasus is on or not…"

The meeting adjourned with the decision about the 'Sol' mission on hold. Most of the group went to the café in the Village. Shawn and Plakia were seen heading to construction bay three. Out of curiosity Eliana followed at a distance. Entering the bay and raising the lights the last of the 'Samson' class vessels sat waiting to be launched its newly acquired name embolden on the bridge Ramaj… Shawn stood in silence Plakia by his side, Eliana, in the shadows, listening to the conversation.

"It bears great grandmother's name, its first commander must be from the family bloodline. I can see no other taking the helm."

Plakia put her arm on his shoulder, and then rubbed his head as she said.

"I think she'd be proud to see you at the helm, but that decision lies with the one standing behind us. Eliana, you need to learn how to control your emotions and your breathing."

Moving out of the shadows and standing behind them Eliana says.

"While I have input, it will be your mother and sisters final decision. Personally I like the idea of you taking the reins and leading this fine ship to space, but there are others who have waited longer than you to take this step. However given the circumstances being who you are, by deeds, and not name, puts you on equal footing with those others, and Shawn, equal footing is a good thing, ask Plakia if I'm wrong."

Plakia agreed and said.

"Eliana's correct to a point, this ship won't be ready to launch for another eighty days. During that time the candidates will be reviewed and a final decision announced ten days prior to its launch. Today you have proven you're capable of taking command on your own and although rather risky we were lucky this time, but don't let it or the possibility of command go to your head. You've had the best instruction we have to offer, now what you do with this information is up to you, so far you're doing nicely continue as you have and I'll take pride in pinning a Captain's cluster upon you collar."

Shawn saluted then hugged Plakia, turned to Eliana saluted and said.

"I return to you your ship, Fleet Commander, it was a privilege and a genuine pleasure, I learned much and thank you."

Shawn left, Plakia and Eliana stood observing the Ramaj it was Eliana that said.

"I wanted to tell him that's his ship, but you're right he needs to experience the selection process as everyone has. Knowing he's earned it will give him even more conviction to keep to the code. Although you know the only other persons close to being qualified will never accept promotion. That's something he need not know for the time being."

Plakia takes in the view, faces Eliana and continues.

"Ariel leaving Dai side, I agree not going to happen, her succeeding Dai as Captain that I can see. The same can be said for Sarah… she and KO have been through too much together, succession I can see nothing more thou. Dawn has Mirage; Captain Pratt will take over transport command… Guess I need to find a new second in command, quietly."

Eliana says.

"Might be a good idea and it also might be a good idea we join the others before we are missed, don't you think?"

Bay lights dimmed, we see Plakia and Eliana taking the rail to the Village. Showing up at the café no one says anything about where they've been how ever Eliana and Plakia both take note of Shawn's absence.

To Be Continued In: Return to the Source II

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."