82_Return to the Source IV

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

82_Return to the Source IV

Post by Diaho »

Return to the Source IV

Lafiel met with the Council and explained the current situation. She expected a fight, but instead, got agreement, although Tao put up a momentary fuss, Gwen said they would try to contact the Alliance, her parting words to Lafiel were these.

"If the Alliance Council is still in disarray, I'll leave it up to you to inform the affected governments military structure what is coming. Civilian governments at this time …. I hope they've got their collective 'acts' together. But I do have serious reservations."

Lafiel thought about Gwen's words as she headed back to the Command Center. Explaining her meeting to Cassandra as she finished, she said.

"If Gwen is unsuccessful, we'll need to inform the Zon, Suran's, and Dorian's at a minimum. The thought of converting that rift into a black hole, the only ones who might escape could be the Abh… and leave them in the dark to the last moment, if those on the asteroid are descendants of the Sol system, and Lakfakalle found out, there are those who would launch an all out attack against them… We don't need fleets of Abh war machines getting in our way. There is enough to do without their 'help'."

Cassandra opened a secure link between Dawn and Eliana with Eli linked to KO everyone would know the plan. Lafiel left to meet up with Shawn and Plakia they were about to receive orders critical to the secondary plan if Gwen's efforts failed.

Aboard Pegasus progress was being made configuring the probe for launch. Dawn had supplied the distances from the original probe and Marjee modified them to focus on the asteroid its self and not the surrounding space. Another twenty minutes to launch and two hours to its parking position from which it'll intercept and follow, at a distance, the asteroid while observing it in detail.

"Marjee final systems check accomplished it's as ready as it will ever be. Energy cells are almost charged it'll have a five day life cycle. Although we won't need…"

Pegasus realized that in less than three days, if not successful, the probe would not be needed. However specs called for a five day cycle and that's what was programmed.

The dust was settling at Alliance Headquarters, it was the after effects of the current council session, which ended up in a standoff, as was the norm. Gwen had managed to arrange a conference with most of the council but before she could speak an argument started concerning who was seated in the front row. Suran's being short in stature normally sat in the front; however the Zon delegation had occupied those seats leaving the Suran's unable to view the link clearly. It quickly escalated to a shouting match with insults a plenty. The conference ended before it ever could start.

Annoyed Gwen closed the link and said to Tao, who had witnessed the attempt.

"Inform Lafiel of what happened and tell her I'll try again, however I feel she should put plan B into action."

Tao departed and Gwen opened a link, the voice on the other end said.

"Gwen you look troubled, and considering you contacted me it must be…"

"Mother, those fools at the Alliance, normally I can't get through to them and when I do its mayhem. How did you manage to deal with them? Because at this moment we've got a crisis brewing and…"

"I've been monitoring the internal network; I heard what Lafiel said. Li and I will be there shortly… did you put plan B into effect?"

"I have, reluctantly, that means leaving us defenseless unless Lafiel has modified the plan."

Erin's face hardened, the link ended and shortly thereafter she and LI arrived. A plan was devised and a second attempt to contact the Alliance was unsuccessful. Showing much frustration Li said.

"Get a shuttle and go knock some sense into those fools, that's what we should do."

The idea was tabled and serious thought given to the problem at hand...

The ready area was located so the crew could be aboard their ship and launched with in five minutes. Shawn and Plakia were sitting in a booth, the conversation ended when Lafiel approached them and said.

"We need to talk but not here. Looks like most of Paveryua's crew is here, let's go to the ready room, we'll need star charts."

Aboard Paveryua; Lafiel brought up the area star chart and said.

'You're aware of the current situation and the possibility of the rift…"

"A black hole, is that really possible, do we know for sure that they can do that?" Plakia asked.

"Not one hundred percent sure but evidence indicates it's possible and that's enough to go on. You're here because while we're speaking Gwen is desperately trying to contact the Alliance Council and…"

"She's hit a brick wall and we're going to rescue the known universe?" Plakia sarcastically said.

"Yeah, but only one of you are. My choice would be you, mother, however if we need experience here, Shawn has little political exposure although the message you'll be delivering is to the military, the civilian governments are…

"Hopelessly, utterly, useless?" Plakia said.

"Not completely, mother, but that's the current state they're in. If Gwen fails I'll be back to brief you. But plan on Suran, Dorian, and Zon arrivals you will steer clear of any Abh you come across and the message will not be for them, at this time. Mother, explain the details to Shawn concerning my statement, now if you'll excuse me I need to contact Gwen."

Lafiel leaves, Plakia and Shawn plot a course to the places Lafiel indicated. While that was going on the reason for leaving the Abh in the dark was explained. When he heard it Shawn said.

"After all this time and they still hold a grudge? I knew Abh's could be single minded and stubborn, but that's beyond comprehension. As you wish I'll not say a word nor seek out the Abh."

The probe launch was successful; it was almost to its parking point. Eliana had just been informed of Gwen's failure to contact the Alliance and was getting ready to inform the fleet when a second communication arrived. Reading it carefully she opened a separate link to Dai and said.

"Attempts to contact the Alliance have failed. Shawn is enroute to Doras, Zon and Suran home worlds, to deliver a message directly to the military concerning what we've found. I worry for the lad; he's still quite 'green'."

"He's aboard Paveryua; Marjee's first office is quite capable of giving him good council. I worry how the Zon will feel having one of our warships suddenly show up unannounced thou."

"Dai you better contact Tara and inform her of Shawn's arrival. I'd do it myself but we're such good…"

"Enemies, the language last used to describe you was… well never mind. I'll contact her and let you know."

Eliana opened the main link and stated that plan B was in effect and asked if there was any update from the probe. Marjee said it was about five minutes from the assigned following path, syncing its speed with the asteroid as she was speaking.

Strong words echoed from the room where Noel was trying to translate the messages. Dawn stuck her head in the door to find the system had crashed, negating the work that had been accomplished. Noel looked at her and said.

"We've needed a new system in the Village and at the exploration site for some time… maybe this crash will prompt the Council to approve… Never mind…I hope Marjee has better luck because we're now a day or better behind once I get this…. thing restarted."

Dawn left the room, reported to Cassandra the failure of their project including Noel's thoughts. She was instructed to keep at it and let Command know of any progress. Closing the link and looking around she saw exhausted and frustrated people losing their grip on reality. Ordering everyone out and suggesting they at least get something to eat. After everyone had left, she returned to her desk, and started rebooting the secondary system which had crashed, on Noel, then left to get food herself.

Marjee was informed of Noel's system crash, she questioned Pegasus and was told tracking and syncing the probe was top priority. Translation would have to wait. Marjee accepted, for the moment, leaving the bridge she sought out Scholar and said.

"Noel's effort crashed; looks like she's back to square one, our quite independent AI just informed me it was placing the probe as top priority. While I agree I also think what caused Noel's crash the AI sensed and… hopefully we'll get something out of the probe."

"Marjee, you're tired if you could see yourself, take a break you'll need to be fresh when the data starts arriving. Seelnay's had a nap, I'm fine, but you've been at it for way too long. I'll deal with the AI if necessary, if you won't leave the bridge then at least use the ready room."

Marjee took a look at Scholar, and then at her reflection, Scholar was correct she was on the verge of… making her way to the ready room she was asleep before her shoes hit the floor.

Scholar informed KO that Marjee was resting, to which KO said.

"About time, I though you were going to have to sedate her to get her to rest. Speaking of rest, Lyra is taking a nap so to speak, Leo informed me she's linked to Pegasus. You wouldn't have any idea what they’re up to?"

Moving to the interface, the AI refuses to respond. Although the activity monitor showed almost one hundred percent of core processing in use, the AI did not respond to manual input as well.

"KO I have no idea whatever is going on we're at max processing… what's your end saying?"

"Access is denied, the balance of the ship is functioning normally however… one third of the core is almost maxed out as well. As much as I'd like to pull the plug I feel…"

"Let's not tempt fate. I'm sensing a complex numerical formula being processed. Pulling the plug would be a bad idea."

"I agree, as much as it pains me to do so, I'll inform command of the present situation. I'm sure they'll be as thrilled as we are."

The link returns to stand by and Scholar calls Greta to the bridge and asks her for a rather strange request.

"Have your … charges; passively tap into the data from the probe, and the ship, figure out what's occurring, without interfering… do you think that's possible?"

"Consider it done, I'll let you know what we find, it shouldn't take long." Greta replied.

Taking the center seat, Scholar surveys the rest of the ships functions, outwardly everything looks normal how ever on closer examination the balance of the ship is in 'maintenance mode' functional, but not one hundred percent online. Should anything need to be accomplished, manual intervention would be required. At that moment she sensed Marjee, she was trying to interface with the ship in her sleep and was being, for lack of better words, ignored. Anger filled the bridge as Scholar moved to the place where Marjee slept… one touch, a simple suggestion and Marjee was peacefully sleeping once again.

Back to the bridge and questioning her letting Greta and company observe the AI. She could have done it however if something had arisen she be unable to act decisively. Standing in front of the interface she placed her hands either side of the unit and could sense activity, it was then that the inter-ship link became active.

"Now, now, Scholar you asked us to observe, too many telepaths spoil the observation. Relax, we're close to an answer I’ll contact you again and soon."

The meeting with the Suran's went better than Shawn had hoped; the ambassador and military leaders welcomed him with open arms, listen carefully to what he had to say and offered assistance, well beyond what Command had expected. A fleet of transports were place at Shawn's disposal along with any logistical support that might be required.

The trip to Doras was a little annoying, the Dorian's were at first unwilling to listen then after some gentle persuasions, from the first officer, their ability to listen improved markedly. The only assurance he got from the Dorian's is they would not interfere, as long as they were kept updated. Returning to the ship he felt disappointed it was then the first officer reminded him he got the message across without resorting to force. To which Shawn said.

"Then I'll assume that was a 'promise' you gave their high command?"

"Exactly, never threaten a Dorian unless you intend to carry it out then and there."

Aboard ship, a message from Command was waiting, taking his seat, he asked the communications officer to read it aloud.

"The Zon know you're coming, expect a 'welcoming committee' you'll probably be outnumbered at least five to one or better. Keep your wits about you and good luck. Signed: Cassandra Lynn, Governor."

Taking in the atmosphere on the bridge Shawn thought to himself 'thanks sis for the pep talk' then said.

"With that said we've got an idea of what lies ahead, plot a course for the Zon home world."

"Course plotted and on the screen, Captain." the navigator responded.

"Break orbit and once clear engage at factor seven."

Paveryua rose from orbit, oriented itself towards the Zon home world and disappeared in a flash of purplish light. Two point six hours to the Zon defensive grid and another hour or so to orbit with a stop some where in-between for the 'welcoming committee'.

Greta had just left the bridge the information she shared was… the link to KO went off stand by and Scholar spoke.

"I have a very good idea what they're up to, listen carefully and I'll take questions after I'm finished. Agreed?"

"I'm all ears Scholar; recite to me if you would be so kind."

That wasn't the response she expected, but a receptive KO was a one in a thousand occurrence, so not letting it go to waste she started.

"Our two quad quantum super computers are at this moment 'hacking' into the asteroid's mainframe at the encryption level. It's our opinion that to avoid further hostilities; taking over all functions at the lowest level…"

"We're going to operate the asteroid by 'remote control'?"

Scholar knew she'd never get to finish but KO has a handle on the objective so… question and answer time commenced.

"That and much more, assume their system like ours is an elaborate encoded book, by breaking the encryption we'll have access to the complete book. That means everything written and stored in their system we'll have access to and be able to control remotely as you indicated…"

"How soon?"

"Honestly, I don't know, we skimmed the surface over here not wanting to interrupt what they were doing."

"Well it better be soon, since your systems are on manual, I'll let you in on something that just appeared on long range scan."

Pegasus main display went active. Moving plot points appeared and as Illusion identified them, the problem became evident. An Abh patrol at least fifty vessels approximately two and one half light hours from their position, moving across the project course of the asteroid.

"If they scan us, you know they'll come, investigate and not knowing the danger."

Like being tossed into a cold stream was what Scholar felt, not thinking she projected, 'Marjee, Greta come to the bridge at once it's urgent.' Marjee staggered out of the ready room as Greta approached it, stabilizing Marjee they both entered the bridge, dumbfounded Scholar pointed at the screen as KO explained. Hearing the explanation and being briefed by Greta as to the present state of affairs Marjee said.

"Let me get this straight, we're hacking in, this ship on manual, and we could encounter an Abh patrol fleet that doesn't know the danger…. is that correct?"

"The only other thing you're not aware of is Paveryua has made port on Doras, the Suran home world and is on it way to meet with a Zon welcoming party."

"That means plan 'B' is in effect… who got dealt that mess?"

"Your crew, with Shawn Lynn in command could have been worse…."

"They're a good crew they'll keep him out of trouble… probably. Back to the problem at hand, how soon till they're hacked in and how long have I been asleep?"

"Three hours to the last question and we're not sure for the first one. We did a cursory probe of the joined units not wanting to upset or interfere in what they were compiling but they're heading for low level encryption, if successful…"

Interrupting Greta, Marjee said.

"We'll control them and know everything they know… nice play Pegasus, you better pull it off in time or we're going to a bigger mess on our hands. KO how much does Command know?"

"Everything up to the Abh presence… just to let you know I'm trying to figure out whose fleet it is but the command ships still out of sensor range, however the number of targets is over seventy, much bigger than your average patrol fleet."

"Nice, ok KO let me know what you find out, Computer, (Silence fills the bridge) they're off line too, Greta could I trouble you to get me a large strong black coffee? My brain is numb."

Greta leaves the bridge, the link to KO goes to stand by and Marjee faces Scholar.

"You interrupted my trying to interface with the ship, knowing what was going on, and placed me in a deep sleep, am I correct?"

"You are and I sense you're not happy with me over it."

"Normally you'd be correct but this time I'll let it pass. I want you to think about this before responding. Concerning the current crop of AI's are we their masters or servants?"

Scholar turned to the display and watched as Illusion was identifying the Abh fleet one by one and said.

"Marjee open the link to KO and I'll explain…"

The link opened and KO was brought up to date then Scholar continued.

"The question is AI master or slave, my answer is they've become our equal. Now before anyone speaks let me explain. Early in AI development it was called 'computer aided' they did high tolerance repetitive manufacturing, aided in design work, medical procedures etc… that was the start, as they became more powerful some were to monitor an entire plants progress, or a habitats functions… the first mobile AI were in robotic bodies, they were given the ability to interact with beings and do once again repetitive jobs… as they progressed; they cared for the young, old, handicap etc. Stationary units moved on to operating vehicles with precision. The theme for early units was repetitive, tedious, dangerous and boring tasks very accurately. To free humans for other endeavors, this included refining the AI concept. As with living beings AI have levels of development. But at days end we work together as a team and as long as that is recognized we're equals."

"That's how I feel Scholar, having close interactions with three different AI simultaneously I can concur with your statement with one caveat, adding human engrams, um I'm glad they're not mobile, the trouble they could cause… you get what I mean. Update, the largest and presumed flagship of that group, I'll highlight it, it's the Revello relative new by Abh standards and its commander is unknown… I've forwarded the information to Command maybe they can figure it out."

"Revello that name strikes a cord, unfortunately at this time while familiar my brain isn't functioning, wonder where
Greta is with that coffee?"

"Right behind you, your stimulant Captain hot and stout."

With the first sip Marjee stood straight as Greta continued.

"If that doesn't wake up that pretty little brain of yours, nothing in this universe will, it's my special blend."

Before Marjee could answer the AI terminal became active with this message 'We're in… processing command set…' as they read the display a frantic communication for Greta's charges was received.

"It's quiet, all activity on the asteroid has ceased, it's like someone flipped the 'off' switch."

Ships functions were returning to automatic when the comm. link went active; a female voice said.

"Who are you… have you come to rescue us…"

The ship responded…

"I am Pegasus from the planet Shahrazad; we come in peace and offer assistance."

"Pegasus… our data mentions you but that was centuries ago… you're not human are you?"

"I am a living machine as are you, search your data files the balance of the information you seek is there."

The AI went local and said.

"Say nothing I'll explain in due time… I'm also aware of the Abh fleet so time is of the essence."

Greta instructed her group to refrain from further contact, on the bridge Marjee, Scholar and Greta were conversing with KO.

"KO, is Lyra… operational?"

"She is but my requests for information is being answered with 'wait and listen carefully to Pegasus'. Looks like your AI is running the show… Command is aware of the Abh but not the latest… whatever, is going on presently."

The door opens and Seelnay appears, looking much rested, approaching them she said.

"No need for update, while I was sleeping, I was monitoring… you realize those two are dangerous, what they accomplished in a relative brief amount of time is… disturbing to say the least."

With Greta and Seelnay on the bridge, Scholar excused herself and left. In the corridor, on her way to her quarters the disturbance in her brain resumed.

"Pegasus whatever it is, it had better be important to have me leave the bridge…."

"Scholar, you came from the Sol system, am I correct in that assumption?"

"Your question confirms something I've been thinking since we encountered the asteroid, I'm assuming…"

"You're correct, Lyra and I have scanned their database, you're mentioned, in none to flattering terms, I might add. But that aside there is information contained within that would make a trip to the system unnecessary…"

"I see, when were they launched and from where?"

"Mars colonies, date is uncertain we haven't synced the database to account for spacial errors but let's say quite a while ago. Scholar, that bodes this question, just how…"

"My age is none of your concern, if you have access to their data, their medical knowledge should give you enough clues to my longevity and let's leave it at that. I also ask you keep this between the two of us, for now, it will come out sooner or later with later being the preferred option."

"I'll accept your request, there is information we've found that I believe you'll find quite… interesting and probably disturbing… but for the moment we've taken control of the navigational system and are proceeding to move away from not only the rift but the Abh as well… If you'll excuse me…"

Scholar paused; thought about what she'd been told and decided that being back on the bridge was where she needed to be reversing direction she entered the bridge to find…

"KO the asteroid is changing course how ever as slow as it's presently moving …"

"I see it Marjee we'll be in the scanning range of the Abh before… we need a diversion… I'll be back to you…"

Link to stand by KO asks Orion the following question.

"What assets do we have in…? I need to take the attention off of us."

"Captain Paveryua is twenty light minutes from the Abh following the Zon somewhere probably to the forward outpost in sector two forty four."

"Open a priority one link to them I want the Captain on the screen now."

The link activates and a rather annoyed Shawn appears, seeing who is calling his expression changes.

"Fleet Commander what can I do…"

"Listen carefully I need you to distract an Abh fleet, at these coordinates, the only information I have is the command vessel is named Revello. Distract them, but don't start an incident if you're lucky the Zon will follow you and let them be the distraction."

The link closes, KO is satisfied that her plan will work and she notifies Marjee that the fix should be in.

Aboard Paveryua, Shawn executes and abruptly changed course, as KO figured, the Zon, startled pursued, them.

"Captain the Zon are requesting communication and an explanation."

"Ignore them for the moment, long range scan, locate the Abh fleet and put them on the plot."

The main display becomes active and on the edge and growing bigger is Shawn's target.

"Time to intercept?"

"Eight minutes present speed."

"How long till they notice us?"

"If they're not sleeping we should be on their long range any second."

"Bring us to battle stations, feed the information to the Zon and we'll let them handle this. How far behind us are they?"

"One hundred twenty seconds, information linked, the Zon have gone fully offensive."

Shawn sat back in the seat and thought… 'Okay Revello lets see how good you really are.'

"Bring us to within five light seconds and be ready for a terse response from their flagship.

Revello the pride of the eleventh Abh expeditionary force, its commander, new to the position but exceptionally well trained was a bit annoyed when Paveryua appeared on the screen and showed upset when a Zon fleet armed to the hilt appeared two minutes behind them.

"Paveryua, Shahrazad fleet star ship, last known commander, Marjee… what in the… are they doing out…"

"Captain new target, approximately twenty Zon battle cruisers about one hundred twenty clicks behind the first ship. They scan battle ready."

"Check our position we've not wandered into Zon territory have we?"

"We're close but by treaty…"

"Captain we're being hailed by the Zon fleet commander."

"Ignore them, open a link to Paveryua."

"Link opened their Captain is on line."

Ready to verbally attack their captain, Revello's captain froze as the image appeared and said.

"Hello Miranda, it's been a while."

"Shawn? It's been awhile, I see you got your command Congrats…."

"Not yet I'm acting Captain but one day soon, I'll get to the point you're very close to the Zon border and I was involved in delicate negotiations with the Zon you were noticed and… well in the interest of energy conversation it would be nice if you reversed course and put some distance between us… the Zon seem rather trigger happy and…"

"As always your choice of words interests me but as you said we are close and what we were doing out here was patrolling. We’ll continue our patrol, take your 'friends' and give me some space…"

The link closed, the Abh slowly departed the area, and Shawn opened a link to the Zon…

"While we appreciate your efforts, why did you alter course in the first place? We didn't have their fleet on our scanners and this discussion you wanted to have was it connected to the 'fleet'?"

When KO altered his orders she had asked Shawn if he'd communicated the 'problem' to the Zon. He answered he hadn't, it was then KO overrode his orders and instructed him not to. This diversion served two purposes. One to move the Abh along and two give the Zon an explanation. Explaining that there was movement scanned in the area and baffling the Zon, Shawn weaved a story that satisfied their commander. The Zon resumed a course back to their home world and Shawn sat silent, after a moment he said.

"Plot a course home and open a link to the fleet commanders, both of them."

The link opened KO, Marjee and Eliana appeared on the screen, once the link was stable Shawn said.

"The Zon have been placated, the Abh seem to be on their patrol, I'll be remaining in the area in case either one of them have second thoughts. What is your present condition?"

"Marjee and I are in the process of securing the asteroid…."

"I'm holding position, if the information you forwarded is correct the Abh should appear on our scan within the hour if not…"

"I see, then we're sitting tight for an hour… that will be acceptable… I need to sort a few things out?"

A separate link from Eliana opened and she asked?

"Shawn, are you alright?"

Placing the other link on standby he answered her.

"Alright, would you be alright if you'd just spoken with a ghost? It's a long story; I'll explain after this passes, I'll be alright to answer your question."

Closing both links another link was opened to Defiance. Plakia was surprised that Shawn was communicating even thou he was suppose to be on comm. silence. Before she could speak Shawn said.

"Grandmother I've had an encounter with the Revello, our current information concerning its Captain is wrong…. Miranda lives… either that or I've run across a 'perfect' clone… I'll be here for an hour following that I'll be returning to Shahrazad we'll talk more when I get there…"

Not awaiting an answer Shawn closed the link …

Sitting on the bridge Plakia replayed Shawn's message in her head… Duhiel's daughter Miranda, her grand daughter, thought lost in a training accident five years ago is alive and commanding one of the most advance ships in the Abh fleet. This information, while unexpected, also sets certain concerns in Plakia's being… Something to get details about from Shawn before she approaches Lafiel…

Off the bridge and heading to her cabin Miranda is approached by the first officer, he does not mince words with her.

"Captain we are returning to the area, our orders stat…."

"Have you read our orders, Commander? Since you're here I assume not. Let me refresh your memory, we were to observe but not be observed… not only were we observed but we were confronted. You're new so I'll let this slide but question me again without firm facts and you'll have two choices, leaving via airlock, or being stranded on the first habitual planet we come across. Have I made myself clear?"

"Perfectly Captain please accept my apology."

Stunned, the first officer concedes defeat and leaves. As he approaches the bridge the ships doctor approaches and says to him.

"Couldn't help but hear I believe I warned you about her. She's had this ship about half a year and you're the third first officer she's had… let that fact sink in before you confront her again. And remember. If you want a fast trip off this ship, addressing her as: Your Highness or Princess will guarantee that instantaneously. Lastly don't concern yourself with her actions; neither the Admiralty nor the Emperor will openly question her. Follow those suggestions and you might survive the balance of this mission."

Entering her cabin Miranda takes a seat removes her boots and throws them at the bulkhead. Moving to the bunk she lies down and stares at the cold metal ceiling while thinking.

'that Baka first officer the nerve of him questioning me… but… the last person in the universe I wanted to see was him… why was our Intel so faulty had I known he was aboard I would have… never mind the damage is done… I'll send my report and my father will know… my life would have been quite bearable if all thought me dead but…"

Closing her eyes she drifts off to sleep although it’s a restless affair.

"Marjee we've got a problem… The asteroid's stored energy will be depleted in about thirty hours… I've done an analysis of their requirements and… we can't supply sufficient power without doing irreparable damage to our ships… and by ships I did include Illusion in the equation… Current population is thirty one thousand…. all adults…"

Scholar, Seelnay, and Greta heard what Pegasus had said… a moment of silence was followed by KO, who was also listening saying.

"Thirty thousand plus, that'll take three Suran transports, and thirty hours, if we notify them now, they should be here in twenty five hours give or take."

Scholar heard what was said and added this…

"And where, pray tell, do you plan on putting them?"

"The old Zon relocation center, on the western shore of the inland sea… on Shahrazad, incase you're curious."

A conversation ensued which KO interrupted…

"Council be damn… we disabled their ship so to speak and the information I'm getting out of Lyra dictates we put those people somewhere we can keep an eye on them… Suggest the Suran's set the transports up for a class four atmosphere with corresponding gravity and total isolation. We're still unlocking the reasons behind the all adult population… lastly we can and should attach a tow beam, drag them along as we're faster than they are … also we need to find somewhere close to park this rock until we can dissect it."

"Well acting Fleet Commander, call home tell them what you're up to, we'll back you to the hilt." Marjee said.

The comm. link went quiet…

Aboard Samson Eliana heard what was occurring aboard Illusion. The link opened and KO said.

"You heard us, tell Command what we're planning. Cassie's going to blow a fuse but so be it, and get the Suran's up to speed I know they volunteered help, well we're going to need a whole bunch of it."

Eliana had already figured something of the like was going to occur. She had a few questions for KO.

"I will as soon as you answer the following… Where should the Suran's rendezvous with you, where are you planning to 'park' that thing, and are you damn sure that you're exercising accurate judgment?"

"We'll have to stay clear of the trade routes… system four thirty four, about four light hours from our defense zone, we'll park it around the gas giant contained therein... and there is NOTHING wrong with my thought processes. I'll assume you'll be heading in this direction, we'll need an escort. Marjee feels we can cloak us and the asteroid, if not we're in no position to protect it if we're towing."

"On our way, at your estimated course and speed see you in two hours… I should have an earful when next we speak."

The link closes another opens, the conversation between Cassandra and Eliana, Dai was tapped in and once it ended she said.

"Wasn't as bad as I've experienced before, however once we get home, all bets are off. I've plotted an intercept course and suggest we move in stealth. Do you agree?"

"If that wasn't bad in your opinion… I don't want to see bad… where's Captain Pratt?"

"Still waiting to get an audience with the Abh ambassador."

"Have her leave and not communicate with the Abh. If she knows where Vekk and Zachary are grab them and head to the Suran home world. Is Shawn heading home?"

"Captain Pratt notified and says she's on her way, Shawn is still parked at the location where he encountered the Abh fleet and observing comm. blackout for the next half hour… as soon as he's on what should I tell him?"

"Have him meet up with the Suran transport and make sure they're not followed."

"I shall and Eli how's the headache?"

"Monstrous!!"

The link closes and they activate their cloak and disappeared.

Time passed the Abh never appeared… Shawn set a course for home. Once communications were reestablished he received orders from Eliana. Altering course and speed he headed for the Suran home world.

Vekk and Zachary were found in a 'pub' when they saw Captain Pratt approach they cancelled their order. She insisted they go with her and they complied. Once aboard Vekk asked.

"Those co-ordinates you're taking me home?"

"I am and I have a favor to ask of both of you."

With that statement she had their full attention. After the explanation Vekk said

"Helping you is well within my ability not only actual but political. Leave it to me when we get there, there will be no problems."

Communications from Shawn arrived shortly after her explanation… an agreement was made and a rendezvous decided upon. Contacting Command she reported her progress to a fairly surprised Cassandra. Once the link closed she commented.

"I wonder if Eliana had informed Command of the change in plans because Cassie seemed a bit miffed."

Zachary looked at Vekk who was thinking the same thing and they decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

Marjee's displeasure can be felt by those on the ship. Gathering her thoughts once again she approaches the interface and says.

"While I'm pleased that we've taken control of the asteroid, you need to produce a little more information concerning how, what we've gotten ourselves into and what you believe we should be doing? There are over thirty thousand beings aboard, what have you asked or told them? What have they told or asked you? You know just some minor loopholes that should be closed. Am I asking too much?"

Again there is silence in the ship, when Marjee senses she's being ignored and plans to act, then…

"Settle down Marjee, physical violence doesn't solve anything…"

"At the moment it'll feel real good to dislocate… if you got something to say… continue if not I'm taking a shuttle to the asteroid…"

"I'll stop you for if you do you'll die instantly."

Finally useful information, although it was not what she wanted to hear but it was a start. Over the next ten minutes the ship divulged what it knew and finished by saying.

"Marjee, Lyra and I are going through a database that it totally boggles the mind. Although indexed it's been very poorly maintained over at least five hundred cycles. if we don't figure out at least the basics when we try to transfer them… we could lose them all or take everything in half a parsec with us… now if you'll excuse I need to get back to the task at hand so we'll be ready once we get where we're going."

The terminal goes dark and ships resources get redirected once again. Moving to the console she presses the link open and says.

"KO, does that correlate with what your end is doing?"

"It does and I'll add something that Orion divulged earlier. Although we are towing the asteroid its internal navigation has been trying to break free of our tow. The propulsion units are off line but should the system activate them, the shearing forces that could be applied would badly damage us if not render us… I think you can fill in the blank."

"Pegasus has shut me out… see if your end has a solution short of … taking armed action against them… we can't have any interference and we can't afford to be left stranded if you get my meaning…"

"Marjee I've been looking into this for a awhile… getting information out of Lyra although possible and my other two AI's have been trying… point is I suggest we speed up this progress just incase we have to cut them adrift… I believe the attempt is being made to fully access the asteroids master computer is the priority but… we can let these people fall into 'hostile' hands."

"KO for once I have to agree, however we are speculating and…. I really wish we had more information to deal with and… I wonder where those transports are… did I tell you I hate waiting?"

"Yeah in that way you're very much like me… let's increase the pace just a bit and shave another fifteen minuets off our arrival time."

"We're synced; you can advance the go lever when you're ready."

The sound of the ship changed as they accelerated, they should rendezvous with Dai and Eliana in about an hour give or take.

To be continued in: Return to the Source V

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."