83_Return to the Source V

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

83_Return to the Source V

Post by Diaho »

Return to the Source V

Aboard Samson; Eliana has Illusion's internal tracker on the main display. A sudden increase in speed gets her attention. Opening a link to Dai she says.

"KO's sped up, although we're not in scanning range. I wonder why the sudden unannounced increase in speed?"

"You think we should follow suit and maybe… tap the 'yellow' button?"

"Sounds like a plan, helm increase speed to factor six, weapons officer bring us to alert status."

Defensive shields raise and the long range scanner comes on line. It'll take another five seconds to power weapons and be at battle ready.

Facing the Council, Cassandra was trying to explain the present situation, while Erin and Li understood. Gwen and Tao did not comprehend it at all. It was Tao that started it the exchange.

"Apologies for my question, but what I hear is, this planets population is about to increase by thirty thousand plus and quite soon. Why?"

Cassandra was dumbfounded and then she remembered the Council was in the dark as to the population of the asteroid and the reason why it had been… intercepted and commandeered. Condensing the facts in her mind she explained the past several days in less than an hour. Tao's facial expression changed several times the last went from mildly annoyed to…

"Cassie while I appreciate your commitment to saving lives; it would seem this bunch of strays you've collected could very well threaten the progress we've made in the past 100 cycles. Granted they're probably related to many on this world, by their origin, it's that very origin and their society, that we rejected and…"

Cassie went red and said.

"So ah um, GUILTY by association, that's what I'm hearing in your words. You're, judge, jury and…."

Tao cut her off.

"Oh no you don't, you're not playing that card lady, cool off and let me finish. KO's plan has merit, put them close to us, but not integrate them immediately. Securing the area in question can be done in the shortest amount of time compared to locations we've used before. What I want from you is the assurance that if we allow the settlement of those you've found you'll not impede our evaluation of them, and IF, we judge them unsuitable to merge into our way of life, you'll help resettle them to a suitable world."

Cassandra stood silent, it was Sari that took her hand, bringing her back. Cassandra agreed to the Council's decision without further discussion, for the moment. Departing the chamber Sari said.

"You're too passionate and this time it showed for all to see. However bringing Tao to task was a gutsy move, something I figured you would avoid. You've got a feeling about those on the asteroid don't you?"

"Perceptive as always you are. Something in the data dumps has stimulated something within my being. I don't think at this time I can explain it further."

Returning to Command Center the activity level caught their attention as they entered. KO and Marjee had picked up the pace markedly. Eliana and Dai as well, data from Samson showed both it and Discovery were one step from being fully combat ready.

"Somebody mind telling me what's happened since I've been gone and why didn't someone bother to notify me."

Cassandra's outburst caught everyone off guard, Noel, who had returned to the Center when Cassie left to meet with the Council said.

"It's still unfolding we're getting raw data and nothing else. I have no idea why, wherefore, or how come, they're doing what they're doing only thing I can confirm is KO started it."

As they approached the asteroid Elle and Dai take note of the readings they are getting, not only from the asteroid, but the ships towing it.

"Dai did you just see an energy spike aboard the asteroid?"

"I did and I've got data from Illusion and Pegasus… they're cruising through space with only basic deflectors active. I'm assuming they've diverted all power to the tow and the speed increase we're seeing. My concern is that energy spike that just occurred again. I thought they had control of the asteroid."

"If they're talking to each other it's either low power or direct, the command frequencies are clear. Something's not right. We're still too far away for me to be comfortable. Dai punch the red button and pull the dampers, if I'm wrong I'll take the heat."

Command sees a jump to a combat profile with a marked increase in speed. Cassie's concern is reflected in her staring at the data.

"KO, we've got another issue. That last spike was a try at a shear. We're down eight percent on the tow integrity I've channeled everything but basic control and environmental into the tow. We either need to slow down, or bring the asteroid closer, or the next surge will take the reactor off line."

"Closer is out of the question, according to Orion it would seem a backup system has been trying to interfere with our AI's. Sensors indicate Elle has noticed something is wrong she pulled out all the stops and will arrive in a half hour, so slowing is out of the question. Has Pegasus communicated with you?"

"No… the silence is becoming frightening; Scholar's been trying to interface with no luck. We'll keep running for as long as possible just hope the ship realizes what our present position is and tries to contain the asteroid."

"Pegasus, it's no use, my last attempt to interfere with the navigational system caused the surge we felt. That system is isolating itself… if we don't act soon…"

"Lyra I understand let me try a different tact."

Reestablishing contact with the asteroid's central computer Pegasus inquired.

"To help you we need to move you to a safe location, however your navigational system is refusing to accept new directions, is there something you can do… "

"Unfortunately I can't, I'm being inhibited as well, also if you've scanned the second domes main computer you'll find the defensive protocols, deactivating them should give you complete control which is something I can not do."

As Pegasus continued contact, Lyra was already scanning the system in question; their common link went active with Lyra

"We've got bigger problems than navigation, there is a protocol running that will exterminate all aboard in four hours time unless we can stop it."

On the verge of overload, Pegasus sought help from those aboard; he opened a link and let them have access to Lyra.

The bridge fell silent as Lyra's data streamed across the main viewer, when the information about the self termination program being activated was displayed, Scholar said.

"My race, oh how normal, if the secret is about to be exposed, kill all involved and delete the evidence, I should have guessed earlier something that monstrous would have been programmed into their system. I'll ask a redundant question, where are the transports?" Not receiving an answer she left the bridge.

Dropping from F.T.L. to normal space had occurred; Eliana and Dai were ten thousand meters apart and half a light second from the asteroid, which was the minimum safe distance. Picking up communications between KO and Marjee, it didn't take long to figure out the major issue at hand. Opening a link to Dai, Eliana said.

"They've got real trouble, find Shawn, verify he's got the proper rendezvous coordinates and have him push those transports here. Personally, if he actually has to push, then tell him that's approved as well.

"I'm on it, how about Command? Or are they out of the loop for now?"

"That's the furthest thought from my mind, I'm going to try to break into KO's link and announce our arrival."

"I'll let you know ETA on the transports"

The link closes and Eliana tries to communicate with KO, their link is very active….

"KO, Scholar's incensed, did you see Lyra's data? And where are those transports? Where are Eli and Dai they should have been here by now don't you think?"

Marjee's outburst was being Scholar driven, KO knew that and she was also aware of another attempt to link with them. Ignoring Marjee for the moment she said.

"Well Eli about time you showed up. Where exactly are you?"

"Half a light second in trail of the asteroid, oh yeah you can't see us because we're invisible, let me remedy that."

"Stay that way you are and get no closer… and have you heard from Shawn?"

"Dai's communicating with him now, we are aware of your new time constraint and will motivate him."

"That's all well and good, but if they're not here, or we can't terminate the program in three hours, give or take, we're going to have a mess on our hands."

"Understood, we'll be standing by; I'll let you know about the transports as soon as possible."

Transports, by their very nature, are normally slow. They trade comfort for speed; given there is only so much energy that can be carried aboard. Suran transports, on the other hand, have been known to outperform some nation's fastest fleet vessels. It is six of those Shawn, thru Vekk, had acquired. Dai's message arrived and his reply was…

"Tell Eliana one hour, plus thirty. I figure it'll take another hour plus to move that many. What kind of docking facilities do they have?"

Dai was dumbfounded, she didn't know and communications were a jumble at the moment. Forwarding Shawn's information and inquiry to Eliana, she waited.

Data was arriving at Command from Samson in an initially confusing format. Once sorted out it showed, six Suran transports enroute, less than four hours to a program terminating all aboard the asteroid and the fleets resources at their limits. A feeling of helplessness came over the room; it was Noel who broke the silence.

"We can sit and watch or prepare to receive thirty thousand, I'm voting for the latter. You do realize if KO pulls this off those transports can be here in less than a day."

With those words the room slowly returned to a functional state. Cassandra was taking everything in, she decided, the Council should be advised, in person, and with Sari, she left. Noel was on line with Dawn asking her if any of the data received mentioned a 'doomsday device' and explained the reason for such an inquiry. Dawn's answer was immediate.

"Now that you mentioned it there is something in a file about invasion preparation that I had put off to the side I'll dive into it and see what it entails, but Noel, this data came from Pegasus, Marjee should have access to it unless…"

"Unless Pegasus is blocking, stalling for reason or reasons unknown, open that file and let me know as soon as possible what we're, they're facing."

"I'm on it contact you soon."

The link closes and Noel wonders, why such information hasn't been shared aboard Pegasus.

Scholar had made her way to Pegasus's main terminal. Inputting an extensive code sequence, she said, before hitting the enter key.

"I'm sorry old friend but part of the history I've hidden from you is about to be revealed, however only you and I can know it for the moment." Interrupting the link with Lyra she hit the enter key. The terminal came to life and Pegasus said.

"As I suspected, but could never prove until now. We have met once before; you're an immortal are you not?"

"I will answer all your questions in due time, the reason I've removed most of the data firewall I placed upon you so long ago is you know how to prevent what's occurring on the asteroid. I want you to save the rest of my tribe."

"Then those aboard are also…"

"No not immortals, but humans with extended life spans and once you realize their true origin you'll understand."

"Tribes, survivors of the war… how, wait what am I? That information I cannot access…"

"I'm sorry old friend you'll need to be in the dark about that for a little longer. Have you found the data concerning the defensive program aboard the asteroid?"

"I have… how are you going to explain this sudden change of knowledge, Marjee's no dummy she'll figure it out sooner or later and once I'm interfaced with Lyra she'll know all…"

"I've placed in a firewall; only you and I can access that data and at the moment I know the master password you don't and don't try to figure it out. There is a safe guard which will return you back to 'basic' if you try. Scan your new command line and you'll see. But not to worry, trust me, I'll let you know everything once the asteroid is settled."

"Scholar you did not earn that title by accident, I've examined the 'hack' you placed in my command function and for the moment I'll play along but I also somehow know you're being honest with me something from long ago….."

"Go back on line to Lyra tell her you discovered the source and stop the timer. I, for my people, thank you."

The link is reestablished and in due time a solution to the defensive program is found. Scholar quietly returns to the bridge hoping no one has notice however Seelnay has and…

"Took a little stroll did you?"

"I had to clear my mind, I'm better now…"

"I see you do look less stressed than before, so it must have worked."

Seelnay leaves and Scholar thinks to herself 'she didn't believe me.'

Noel has stepped away from the Command Center to a secluded spot. There she resumes the conversation with Dawn…

"I find it… too coincidental that when we started probing into that data Pegasus suddenly remembered and accessed it."

"No coincidence in my book… it's like someone either dropped a barrier or…"

"Why to I feel Scholar will be at the root of the problem? She was so gung ho to go, I wonder."

"You should know that my last access of Pegasus shows not only and increase in storage capacity but a sizeable amount of it is not accessible… an encryption I've never seen before and I'm not going to try to crack it. What ever secrets it contains… we'll find out sooner or later I feel… and Scholar being the root cause yeah I have to agree with you. Noel do we tell Command or keep this to ourselves?"

"Cassie's got a full plate she's with the Council now, you and I knowing, is good enough for now, but when they get back… we'll see."

"Biological data for our guests is arriving. I'll forward it to your console. Shawn has got an interesting lot to pick up and provide for. I've forwarded the data to the transports they'll be able to adapt."

"I'll look it over and have the site configured to accept them. I'm heading back before I'm missed, stay in touch."

"Will do; don't forget to duck as well."

Noel closes the link. Returning to the Center she takes the console and reviews the data. The environment aboard the asteroid is microbe neutral, which means those survivors will be susceptible to every bug in the universe. Sending further quarantine instructions to Shawn and the site, she communicated with Jasmine and relayed the findings to which Jasmine's response was…

"My stars, if what you say is true, those people were destined to spend eternity on that blasted rock… however do we settle and medically treat them, if they reside in a bubble? Surely some immunity should… Noel, what I needed now was another headache and I want to thank you for a doozy of one… I'll confer with staff and get back to you … Have Shawn scan some of them, discretely, and forward the results to me."

The link closes, and Noel sends Shawn, Jasmine's request.

Marjee felt a disturbance within Pegasus; deciding not to pry. She sat in the command chair seemingly, almost aloof; however her mind was in high gear. Data from Lyra showed the asteroid was a completely contained, biologically speaking, neutral environment. Something within her didn't jive… from her basic biological studies she remembered humans need enzymes and bacteria to digest food. A sterile environment… no that's the wrong way to describe it. Scanning the medical database she found what she was looking for; pathogens, those organisms the cause disease not related to enzymes and 'good' bacteria; they attack and interfere with them. Staring into the main viewer she thought 'that's why I'm an engineer and not a doctor. I was so backwards in my thinking through lack of knowledge'.

The transports were on the edge of the scanners. Soon they would arrive and the evacuation of those aboard the asteroid would commence. Meanwhile they have arrived at the location where the asteroid would be placed in orbit around a planet and surveyed before being…

"We are scrapping the cities on the asteroid, is that the plan?" Marjee's outburst left silence on the bridge it was the link that answered her…

"Investigate, analyze and catalog… besides that it'll be up to the Council on what to do with it. Marjee are you feeling alright?"

KO was concerned, she was convinced Marjee, who is linked to Pegasus, understood the plan but that outburst left her wondering several things. Muting the link she said.

"Scholar, Seelnay and Greta are aboard; they understood the initial plan… Eli did you hear what Marjee said?"

Aboard Samson Eliana was thinking along with KO, the discrete link went active and she said.

"I did and I'm of the same thinking that you are, I'll let you in on something occurring planet side, it would seem Pegasus, how do I put it… has had an increase in storage yet most of it is protected by a highly advance firewall… it's something Noel and Dawn have been investigating for the past hour or so. We have no access to Pegasus; you do, might get just a bit curious and see if Lyra knows something since she's linked to him."

"That's a nice idea however Lyra is isolated from several parts of Pegasus… I already tried since the information on how to disarm the system was discovered. I got a feeling a certain Scholar is related to the problem and if so I strongly suggest we wait. Face it, if unleashed, the three of us would be hard pressed to subdue that vessel, if we tried and this one is taken off line… you guys are dust. I rest my case."

"Again you are correct KO but what about Marjee? Has Pegasus influenced her? Can we still trust her judgment?"

"With Seelnay and Greta aboard I believe they'll intervene if Marjee takes off… Scholar on the other hand… I don't know… Let's get those people off the asteroid and home, then deal with Scholar if necessary."

The link closes, and aboard Samson another conversation link is occurring between Dai, Vekk and Shawn. Eliana taps into that one and listens.

"Dai I understand, we're standing by at one half light second distance but we've not received instructions. I mean do we land and take them on board? Is there… what do we do?"

"Shawn, Pegasus is in charge of all of that and the data channel has been full between the asteroid and the ship. All I can do is to tell you to wait, like the rest of us."

Aboard the lead transport Vekk does not understand any of this and he butts in to the conversation.

"Excuse the interruption, but we… how should I put this… hauled ass to get here and now we have to wait? I'm at a loss, just so you know what we're thinking. I'd suggest you try motivating Pegasus, or, since the defensive grid is down… or so it seems, we'll find a way on our own to retrieve those people."

Before Eli can enter the conversation, KO, who had also tapped in responded.

"While I appreciate the effort of all involved in getting to the place we are now, I must insist we remain calm and refrain from any action that the asteroid might deem hostile. The defense system is off line but weapons systems still show operational. Something Pegasus is trying to disable. I suggest you sit back, check your systems, make sure the holds are correctly configured and WAIT."

Aboard the lead transport Vekk asks for one sweep of the sensors. The results displayed make him express this aloud.

"Nine laser cannons active and of a type that would have annihilated the transports... We wait; do as the Fleet Commander said."

"Shawn, this is unusual, you normally don't…"

"I know mother, I normally don't discuss operational business while I'm on duty but… my first question, have you kept up with what's going on?"

"Yes I've been thoroughly briefed… why do you ask?"

"How well do you know Vekk and Zachary?"

"Quite well, does this concern…"

"I'm about to have a mutiny on my hands, Vekk's hell bent on getting moving for some unknown reason and he's enlisted Zachary to champion his cause. I just severed a link between Zachary and Erin, he's was trying to enlist the Council's help to somehow motivate Marjee and Pegasus to… how do I put it… get going or they'll go home?"

"I can talk to the Council, you have the perfect go between, Dai, she's had many encounters with those two Eliana too, I'd avoid bringing Eli into this thou… she'd wade in guns blazing… Dai is your best bet, explain it to her as you have to me… Should you have any problems then get Eli involved but beware it will be a very tense confrontation."

"Thank you I'll take your suggestion and go with it. See you in two days if nothing else goes awry."

The link closes and Lafiel has a chat with Erin, twenty minutes later problem solved, for the moment.

The sudden return of operational status aboard Pegasus caught all off guard. The data link with the asteroid was quiet and it would seem the defensive grid was off line, completely… Marjee was about to say something when the bridge lights dimmed and the main viewer became active. A woman of dark complexion and outstanding beauty appeared…

"My named is Yuwanda; I'm the appointed representative of the twelve tribes, I will assist you in starting our journey to the 'new world'. The population has been informed of your presence and although there is some apprehension, the thought of staying on this prison outweighs any misgivings we might have… you have six transports as I understand it, five thousand citizens will board each. I also understand that the environment aboard complies with the current status of this prison. Approach and docking instructions are being relayed to this ship for dissemination to the transports, unfortunately only one transport a time can be accommodated. We await your communication."

The link closes and the bridge lighting returns to normal, the first thing Marjee notices is Scholar's absence, before she can say anything the joint link activates and Vekk is speaking.

"One at a time? Fine we'll manage it; we've verified the environmental setting and are ready to proceed."

An isolated link appeared and Marjee opened it. Dai, KO, Eli, and Shawn were already in a discussion which…

"Just so we're straight on this we had no warning either Lyra just appeared on line and then the main display went active. I suggest we 'follow instructions' and sort everything out once we're back. Shawn, one question, you're positive you weren't followed here, correct?"

"KO as far as I know and the remote probes I left in our wake are still reporting 'all clear' shall I do a search?"

"For the moment … no… should one of the watch dogs trigger then… Marjee glad you could join us seems there is something you want to say?"

"Between Pegasus acting strange and Scholar's sudden vanishing act... I'm not sure what to say, think or feel."

"My scanners show Scholar's in her cabin… Pegasus is acting strange, how so?"

"It seems our bond is not as strong as before… but I might be… in her cabin you say… I'll be back."

Marjee exits, before KO knows it she being addressed by a familiar voice.

"KO, there is a disturbance in the flow aboard this ship, I've felt it, so has Greta and her charges. I'm not sure of our status and if what I sensed as Marjee passed by me is… well, it could get real interesting over here, and I don't think it's anything that we can't contain but…"

Isolating the link from Pegasus KO continues…

"Complete change of plans… as soon as those transports are loaded, Dai, Shawn and Eli, head home at best possible speed. Since I'm still linked to Pegasus, data wise, Eli, call Command, have them get the rest of the fleet ready to launch at a moments notice. That's the three other ships including Ramaj, sorry Shawn I got the feeling that we're going to need … I so hope I'm wrong but…"

Aboard Paveryua KO's words had an effect on Shawn, realizing he could only be in one place at one time, he was here and that's where he need to be… he wondered just who would take Ramaj out, the list of active flag officers…

Planet side Cassandra was in a difficult position, she was receiving Eliana's briefing and although she had promised the Council no action would be taken unless they were first consulted, orders were cut to dispatch the three remaining star ships to a pre determined location. Crewing of one ship was on her mind when…

"We can fill Ramaj with line cadets; it's time for their orientation cruise. We'll just need an experienced tactical Captain aboard."

Sari's words had just settled into Cassandra's brain. Turning to face her she said.

"Since you made the suggestion I'm assuming you also have a flag officer in mind?"

Sari expected this would be Cassandra's response and said without reservation…

"Flag officer, in a way, someone completely familiar with the ship, definitely, and as far as tactical experience, does nearly two decades of steering lightly armed transports about the stars give them a leg up on avoiding getting in a tough spot?"

"Captain Pratt is whom you are speaking of?"

"Yes and she's nearly back, by the time you cut the orders she'll be in space dock."

Cassie took in everything and the following thoughts raced through her mind; a new ship, with a rookie crew and a seasoned, competent, but militarily inexperienced Captain. She would have the best cadets and knowing her as she did…

"Sari; cut the orders but I want to speak with her and her senior officers before they depart, is that understood?'

"Yes Cassie, I'll arrange it at once."

KO sat facing Lyra; the holographic image seemed detached it was then KO said…

"You were linked to him… you experienced… or did you… this is going too easy… can you explain…"

"Captain I'm at a loss to explain why there was so little resistance but… there was a subtle change in Pegasus after Scholar interfaced with him…"

"Whoa back up, when did Scholar enter this equation?"

"I sensed an interface before the discovery of the information to disable the defensive grid… however the reason I didn't report it is that all I sensed was an interface… what happened while contact was established, to quote you.. 'Your guess is a good as mine'."

Sensing Sarah was as interested in this development as she was KO said.

"Scholar, all right, scramble a link to Eli, tell her everything. Have Cassie make sure the Council knows and… invite them to the party. When those transports arrive… before we settle them, there is a bunch of new questions to be asked and answered… Also Marjee should accompany the transports Scholar needs to be there as well…"

"KO if you're wrong…"

"Wouldn't be the first time but this time. My brain is tingling, I'm convinced Scholar, this time, as in past events of this importance, is involved, this time thou, she's really deep in this one, I don't think she be able to 'dance' out of this one this time."

Sarah opened the link and sent the information… Eliana's response was one word… 'Understood'.

A locked cabin door greeted Marjee. Having the ship override it she found Scholar on the bed, more than asleep, for one fleeting moment she thought… however there was minimal brain activity… but why she had just finished regeneration unless… reaching for her, the force field stopped her, it was then Pegasus said.

"Marjee no need to panic… she is fine and she'll be up and about soon… no need to tell the others about this."

Marjee backed out of the room, secured the door, and about half way back to the bridge the thought of Scholar's condition was removed from her memory. Entering the bridge and taking a seat, Seelnay was confused, she was sure Marjee was… was about to do… what was Marjee, why did she leave in the first place?

The last transport was approaching the asteroid. Vekk, aboard the second, had managed to gather the data Shawn required and had forwarded it to him. Another three hours and they'll be heading to Shahrazad he hoped.

"Jasmine, here's the scans you requested, unfortunately there are only a dozen, Vekk actually had an equipment failure and rescanned those people twice."

"I'm surprised you managed that many… how soon before you leave?"

"Three hours give or take, depending on how well everyone gets along with the changes they've been subjected to. At the moment they seem just fine, disturbingly so."

"I see if I find something I'll let you know, if not you'll be here sometime tomorrow eh?"

"That seems to be the plan… at the moment that is…"

The link closes Jasmine starts feeding data to the system... an indication of several hours till initial results are ready doesn't surprise her. Leaving the data center and preparing to exit the building she spies Mia… She's leaving, but not heading to her quarters, her direction will lead her to the Council chambers, something Jasmine takes note of but she does not follow.

Below decks and with her charges Greta senses a disturbance. Not spending a lot of time aboard, she deems it normal and continues conversing with her 'students'. The conversation strays to those aboard the asteroid when one asks…

"I'm a bit confused? Where did those people come from and why are we accepting them without hesitation?"

There is a pause… and never an answer…

"I've successfully neutralized all aboard with no opposition… ready for your next orders Prime Minister."

"Pegasus, while that was my former title you shall address me by my current title… the firewall is lifted and now you understand why I did what I did."

"I will do as you wish… I understand, and by the time we arrive I'll be able to explain to those who matter how and why… Marjee, her mind is strong she's…"

"I'll block her; you keep on compiling the data we must be prepared to present it when we arrive."

"Yes Scholar of Sciences I will comply."

Two Suran vessels sit just in the shadow of the asteroid, they are the salvage crew with orders to examine and remove anything deemed important… unbeknownst to the balance of those assembled, KO has orders to leave no trace of the asteroid when they finally depart the area. A link opens between KO and the leader of the salvage crew.

"Have you catalogued everything on the surface?"

"I have; computer systems and power generation devices are worth examining… that black hole device, we've scanned it thoroughly. It contains common parts; the secret seems to be in the device that powers it... We'll take that control device and that should do that. Recovery is eighty percent complete I feel another two hours and we'll have all of it… like I said earlier; the basic tech is ancient, the data that makes it work is, at this time, beyond anything we've ever seen."

"Very good; let me know when you're done and at least a half light second distance. I'll complete the mission from here."

"Understood Fleet Commander that's going to be an impressive blast when it happens. Personally I don't want to be anywhere near when you pull the trigger."

"You have your orders; your observation is noted, carry on."

Jasmine enjoys an outdoor restaurant, part way through the meal Mia passes by enroute to the Command Center, and quickly finishing she decides to follow for she can use the excuse of delivering her daily report, which was something she couldn't do earlier. Probably five minutes behind Mia she enters to find Mia and Noel in a heated exchange.

"You went to the Council before you came here? While I understand that Scholar is a Council member you could have communicated that fact as you…"

"Noel, don't go there, my loyalty is to my profession and maybe I should have told both of you at the same time. However I did garner information from the Council that I'm allowed to share IF you are interested?"

Spying Jasmine; Noel motioned her to join them and said.

"I believe you've got some scans in process, it would be interesting to know the results as soon as possible."

Unfazed by Noel's comment she said.

"Results in a few hours give or take but they'll be preliminary… details will take days, weeks…"

"Believe it or not the prelims should be very interesting, if what I'm thinking is correct… Wouldn't you agree with that Mia?"

Stunned Mia looked at Jasmine… not knowing what she had done she guessed correctly and said.

"A detailed scan of those aboard the asteroid is that what you did?"

"No a general there wasn't time for detailed, I was worried if they could be carrying something that we might have to deal with when they arrive, what's with the gloomy look?"

Looking at Noel and back at Jasmine, Mia said.

"Noel, you knew didn't you?"

"I had a hunch, Dawn filled in a lot of the blanks, but until they get back, I'm willing to keep this between the three of us, unless you have something to add." Mia walked away silently.

Jasmine thought 'what is she going on about, what am I suppose to keep to myself?'

The last of the transports left the asteroid, the Suran engineers were well clear of the area. KO tried to open a link to Pegasus when they vanished.

"KO, Marjee just vanished I've never seen that ship move so quickly. Shall we pursue them?"

"Negative, let them go. Get those transports home safely and notify Command once clear what has happened."

The transports depart, KO addresses the ship.

"Orion you are tracking Pegasus?"

"I am projected course is towards the former Sol Eros system at a speed that only we can match? Shall I plot an intercept course?"

"No we will not follow, commence separation, position yourselves to scan the asteroid, if no life forms are found triangulate an attack to insure it's turned into powder."

Sarah, who was not in on any of the previous planning objected strongly.

"KO, what you are doing…"

"It's part of the operational orders received five hours ago… open the last transmission from Command and read it carefully?"

The transmission originally coded to KO only, stated that they were to, strip the asteroid and once all life forms were removed, they were to assure its complete vaporization. The order bore Lafiel's seal. Sarah turned to her tactical display after reading the orders and said.

"Scans complete, the asteroid is devoid of all life. Targeting is complete awaiting your orders."

KO moved to the interface consoles and said.

"All extra power to the shields, once stabilized, asteroid vanishes."

Shields rise. Targeting computers show the destructive force about to be unleashed, and when the target turns green KO says…

"Fire."

Less than a minuet later, a ball of dust that once was the asteroid, is slowly pulled towards the planets atmosphere where it will burn up or settle on to the gaseous world. The recall order is issued; once Illusion is whole KO says.

"Find the transports plot a course and catch up with them…"

"We're not going after Marjee?"

"No, I fear Marjee no longer commands Pegasus given she has no idea where Sol Eros was, the only ones aboard… the only one Pegasus would listen to is Scholar. Open secure link planet side, addresses it to Noel, and let me the ETA till we catch the transports, remembering we just expended a lot of energy, normal cruise nothing excessive until the ship recovers."

"Forty minutes and Commander Ekuryua is waiting."

"Proceed; I'll open the link in the ready room."

Illusion breaks orbit and heads for the transports. KO enters the room brings the display on line gets comfortable opens the link and says.

"Noel its dust, Scholar bugged out and her last projected course will take near or to the former Sol Eros system. We are about an hour behind the transports, the Suran's are headed to the base on the fifth moon, and they said they have everything. We are alone, isolated, you mind explaining what's going on and why Lafiel and not you issued those orders?"

"Scholar's actions were predictable; when you're ready I'll want you to make for Shahrazad pull out the stops. I know you just expended a massive amount of energy but…"

"Hold on, leave those transports unprotected against Scholar, have you lost it …"

"You hold on and let me explain… the precious cargo is aboard those transports, as far as Scholar is concerned. We are of the opinion here that she'll move heaven and earth including eliminating all those who stand in her way to protect those people. We need you here as soon as practicable realizing Scholar's expending energy at a massive rate too. I've left the transports in Shawn's hands and have moved Dai and Eli to the home world… there is a possibility the six of you may wind up in between Scholar and the planet… that's where our data is incomplete. with the data you presented and figuring Scholar will spend minimal time at Sol Eros she'll be here in half a day more or less you should get here five hours before her arrival."

A plot plan is displayed it shows Scholar should be six hours from Sol Eros… it’s a half day trip from there to Shahrazad unless she plans to navigate the Nebula between there and home, something no ship has managed to do but knowing Scholar… placing Noel on hold KO contacts Sarah and says.

"We're heading home, actually to the point where the balance of the fleet is. Plot a course, best possible speed given our present status and give me an estimate as soon as…"

"Course laid in estimating eleven hours shall I push the button?"

"Push it I'll brief you once I'm done."

The ships hums to life, KO opens the link to Noel and says

"Twelve hours to rendezvous give or take… That is if Scholar doesn't go plowing through the Nebula if she does it'll be a dead heat on who gets there first. Next, who is running this show you or me? And if I'm running it am I allowed the flexibility to…"

"Your show… however taking out Pegasus is off the table… if it was only Scholar you'd have a green light, but with those who are on board, physical destruction is out… are we clear on this?"

"Crystal, I'm hoping this won't escalate into a shoot match, that calmer heads will prevail. If that's all Noel; I've got some planning to do and some consultations to accomplish."

"I'm done, but keep me in the loop okay?"

"I will, wish us luck and you can explain Lafiel's involvement when I see you next."

The link closes KO goes back to the bridge fills Sarah in and…

"I can see her trying to short cut… but the latest probe information show the Nebula is quite unstable… it'll be a pretty treacherous course if she decides to." Sarah said.

Opening a link to the balance of the fleet KO starts by saying.

"We're enroute, estimating your location in eleven hours. What I want from you is a series of probes positioned along the projected course between Pegasus and you, with special emphasis on the possibility of them navigating through the Nebula and getting behind us."

Both Eli and Dai were aghast, it was Captain Pratt that said.

"While navigation is possible given the Nebula's present state… and knowing Scholar… it's possible but their route would actually exit them ahead of our present position. I'll send a projected dispersion plan to you…"

"Do it, we don't have time to bounce ideas off the wall… you know this part of space better than anyone there. Also of great importance, just so we're clear, in confronting Pegasus its destruction is off the table unless it's the last resort."

Again silence filled the link it was Plakia that spoke…

"We are assuming Pegasus intention is hostile, what if its not? Granted, I'm not in the mood to die today, but neither am I in the mood to be the instrument of Marjee's and the others death. I understand plan for the worse, but unless you have some information we don't have, let's also plan for a different outcome."

KO's expression changed, gathering her thoughts she said.

"The facts are these, Marjee noted changes in her relationship between herself and the ship. Scholar did a vanishing act, so to say, Marjee found her and was going to confront her, and that's the last we heard from them. Pegasus blasted out of the system and not a peep from anyone aboard. Seelnay, Greta, her charges, Marjee, nobody, that leads me to believe that somehow Scholar gained complete control and has subdued all aboard. So if that's not a hostile act then what is?"

From Samson Noel's voice is heard.

"Command was under the impression that, until you said what you have, Scholar was on a mission of her own making. The facts just stated are shedding light on the possibility that maybe Scholar's intentions might not be… peaceful. Exercise caution and…"

"I know Noel, oh do I know, half of me wishes a link would open from Pegasus and … We'll deal with it… did you inform the Council about our present situation?"

"No not yet, what do I, we, tell them… Scholar's gone rouge? We have some indication of that, but you know the Council they'll want indisputable proof which we don't have…"

"May the Stars and Spirits guide us for what we might have to do."

"Fate is a cruel master, I'll meet with Cassie and it's about time we visited the Council."

Noel's voice leaves the link. KO finishes formalizing the plan to intercept Pegasus before it can reach the defensive grid. An update is sent to Shawn who states the transports will reach the approach to the grid in approximately nineteen hours and enter high orbit shortly there after.

To Be Continued In: Return to the Source VI

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."