The Digital Art Gallery

Want to have a serious discussion about something that's not covered anywhere else? Post it here. Remember to follow the rules.
Stilts
Lander

The Digital Art Gallery

Post by Stilts »

Welcome to the Digital Art Gallery! I figured the forums might need some place for artists (and artist-wannabes like me) to show their digital creations, so I created this thread. In here, you may post any digital art: signatures, wallpapers, avatars, renders, whatever. To keep things a little less chaotic, I'll lay some simple ground rules.
  1. First and foremost, any art posted here is assumed to belong exclusively to its creator. If the creator wishes to make the rules more lenient when pertaining to his/her work, he/she may post what these changes are. If the creator does not state his/her stance (or the stance is unclear), either assume the creator retains exclusivity or PM the creator for clarification.
  2. Any forum rules regarding appropriate content applies here. Even though I'd like to assume I don't need to worry about it, I should note that you shouldn't post any inappropriate images and try to justify it using the "artistic expression" excuse. The mods probably won't like that.
  3. When posting images that are significantly larger than a standard signature, consider either thumbnailing the image or linking it. Even though direct-linking a wallpaper isn't a violation of the rules, I feel that providing a thumbnail or link is more courteous to your fellow members.
  4. When critiquing a fellow artist's work, be polite. It's entirely possible to pick apart a person's creation without picking the person apart, so don't try to use the "I'm just being honest" excuse on me. I'm not that gullible or stupid.
  5. Last but not least: have fun! Seriously, art is fun, and this thread was made to share that fun with all the members of Project Lafiel. I hope everyone enjoys the wonderful works that are posted here. ^_^
Now, this thread isn't just a gallery. It's also a workshop! I'll maintain a list of members currently taking requests at the bottom of this post. Want to be on the list? Make a post in the thread stating that you're taking request. Also, please note what kinds of art you're willing to create (sigs, avatars, etc.). Want to be taken off the list or change what requests you're taking? State the desired changes in the thread.

When requesting art, provide as much detail as possible. What do you want it based on? What colors do you want? Do you want any text? What size would you prefer? What style (e.g., grunge, tech, sparkly) would you prefer? Please note that these are simply examples of questions you might want to answer in your request, and are by no means required. However there are two details that you should always include in your request. The first is to state who you want to take your request. Even if you have no preference, mention that you have no preference. The second is to provide the picture(s) you want in the art yourself. It's rude to force the artist to spend time searching for the right picture when that time could be better spent actually creating your request. If, for some reason, you cannot provide the image(s), try to narrow down the possibilities as much as you can. This will make it much easier for the artist to find images you might like. The one exception to this rule is if your request consists of simple shapes and images (e.g., squares, circles, arrows). Since any of the image editors the artists taking requests use will likely have very simple ways of creating those shapes (such as a shape tool or a brush), you'll probably only need to provide a description of the shapes you'd like the art to be composed of.

Now that we've got all of that out of the way...on to the fun stuff!

------------Stilt's Gallery (with commentary!)------------

The first sig I made that I consider to be good. It's still one of my favorites, even if I've never actually used it. In case you're wondering, this art style would probably be considered "abstract".

Yep, another Kingdom Hearts signature. Can you tell I like the color blue?

Samus Aran was the subject of my first "tech" sig. I also consider it to be the second-best sig I've ever made. Of course, it was also one of the most time-consuming sigs I've ever made. XD

The subject of this sig is Garret from the "Thief" games. Good games, by the way. Not much to say about this one, other than I was experimenting with light and dark.

Hey, it's 3D! I found a tutorial that detailed how to make a pop-up signature. It looked like a fun little diversion, so I tried it out with a render of Rikku I had lying around. Not the most visually stunning thing on the planet, but it's fun to look at. ^_^

I made this Siegfried sig for a tutorial on abstract signatures. I may post that tutorial again if I get around to editing it.

My second tech sig was based on Gundam SEED's METEOR System. Like the Samus sig, this took me a while to make. I like to think it came out looking decent, though.

Ah yes, the Tira sig. Has a lot of green, doesn't it? Considering I was experimenting with the "sparkly" style at the time, I like how it came out. I'm especially fond of the text...mostly because it's a pun. :p

I made this one for Azgalath when Starcraft 2 was announced. The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the text. It just doesn't seem like it fits quite as well as it should, but I'm not sure what I'd do to fix that. :\

The first Rikku sig I made once I became competent with Photoshop (thanks to some helpful tutorials from StealthArt.com). I also happen to consider it the best sig I've ever created. I just love how everything came together. The irony of it all? I probably couldn't do it again even if I tried. XD
By the way, the style of this sig would probably be considered "grunge".

I'll end this post with the sig I made the same day as the post. I was trying out a new technique, and it took me over two hours to finish. I think it came out okay for a first time...but I try not to trust my own judgment too much when it comes to my art. ^_^;
That's Tsukasa from .hack//Sign, by the way. Also, if I had to put a style label on this, I'd probably say it was "liquid".

Well, that's all for now. I have some other sigs lying around, but I a) forgot about them, b) want to edit them first, or c) never want humanity to be subjected to them ever again.

As for my own sharing rules, they're pretty simple. You may use any of the sigs/avatars/wallpapers I post for your personal, non-profit use unless I state otherwise. However, credit me if you do decide to use them. Also, if you want to have any of the renders you see me use, feel free to PM me about them. I'll be happy to share them with you.

--------------------

Artists Currently Taking Requests (Last Updated: 10/22/2007)
  • Stilts - signatures and avatars

(Note to the Mods: I posted this thread in the General Discussion forum as per Ekuryua's advice. If this is fine where it is, please delete this note so I know it's okay.)
Last edited by Stilts on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Re: The Digital Art Gallery

Post by Ekuryua »

Looking good!

Since this is Stilt's thread, he gets to dictate the rules (provided there are no violations of the Forum Rules). Should a problem arise, feel free to contact me.

On an artistic note, your current sig (the Ty Lee one) is a little too bright... her face is almost washed out.

And, last but not least, topic pinned. :mrgreen:
End Transmission.
Stilts
Lander

Re: The Digital Art Gallery

Post by Stilts »

Ekuryua wrote:Looking good!
On an artistic note, your current sig (the Ty Lee one) is a little too bright... her face is almost washed out.
Yeah, I think so, too. It was sort of a rush job, so I didn't tweak it much. I'll definitely edit it sometime.

Also, thanks for the pin. ^_^