Sci Fi Network changes name to SyFy

Tell us about the type of science fiction you enjoy.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Sci Fi Network changes name to SyFy

Post by Ekuryua »

In a truly bewildering marketing move, the Sci Fi Chanel has announced they are rebranding themselves SyFy. Here is Sci Fi President David Howe's rationale for the new name:
While continuing to embrace our legacy and our core audience, we needed to cultivate a distinct point of view with a name that we could own that invites more people in and reflects our broader range of programming.
Although this corporate speak is intentionally vague, further information from the TV Week sheds more light on the matter.
“The name Sci Fi has been associated with geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that, as opposed to the general public and the female audience in particular,” said TV historian Tim Brooks, who helped launch Sci Fi Channel when he worked at USA Network.

Mr. Brooks said that when people who say they don’t like science fiction enjoy a film like “Star Wars,” they don’t think it’s science fiction; they think it’s a good movie.

“We spent a lot of time in the ’90s trying to distance the network from science fiction, which is largely why it’s called Sci Fi,” Mr. Brooks said. “It’s somewhat cooler and better than the name ‘Science Fiction.’ But even the name Sci Fi is limiting.”
So Sci Fi is a Science Fiction network... that hates Science Fiction? No wonder their programming is so crappy (ECW Wrestling? WTF?) Fan reaction to this name change has been universally negative, but the higher-ups at Sci Fi aren't likely to listen, since they regard their fanbase as dysfunctional antisocial geeks.
End Transmission.
Midnight Star
Founding Member

Re: Sci Fi Network changes name to SyFy

Post by Midnight Star »

That name change is so pointless and stupid.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

I agree wholeheartedly. I can't believe the paid people to come up with that...
End Transmission.
Stilts
Lander

Post by Stilts »

"Imagine Greater" makes the English major in me vomit a little.

On the other hand, the Sci-Fi channel been quickly plummeting into pointlessness, so it's not like I'm going to care much about a station I don't watch anymore having a stupid name. Seriously, when Battlestar Galactica took the short road to crazy-town this season (correction: super crazy-town), the only good show they had left was Gundam 00. And now the first season of 00 has ended, so they've got nothing.

Oh how far the mighty have fallen.
Azgalath
Lander

Post by Azgalath »

"Imagine greater"

Apparently, we don't imagine good enough... :banghead
It's going to be awesome!
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

SyFy has begun a publicity campaign to promote its rebranding. Ergo, it now appears that they intend to go through with this name change, despite an overwhelmingly negative reaction from pretty much everyone.

There you have it, folks. I'm still hoping this is some kind of incredibly elaborate April Fools joke, but common sense tells me otherwise.
End Transmission.
risk
Lander

Post by risk »

I don’t know what I really think about this ‘syfy’ rename. Since I don’t personally have access to the channel I do not have to rely on it to get my sci-fi fix. However, from looking at the daily guides I see what I expect to watch on that channel, i.e. startrek, stargate or battlestar galactica…so as long as the content doesn’t radically change to accommodate larger audiences, then I am happy.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Star Trek, Stargate and Battlestar Galactica only constitute a small part of SyFy's programming. Most of what they play are cheaply made B-grade "Sci Fi Original Motion Pictures" (such as Raptor Island and Mansquito), which are without exception truly awful. They also host non-science fiction programming, like ECW wrestling and the paranormal investigation series Ghost Hunters. I wish they would play more Star Trek...
End Transmission.