Sci-Fi Reading List

Tell us about the type of science fiction you enjoy.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Sci-Fi Reading List

Post by Ekuryua »

Here are all the science fiction books I plan to read in the near future.
--The Mote In God's Eye (Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle)
--The Uplift Series (David Brin)
--The Foundation Series (Issac Asimov)

Here are all the science fiction books I've already read, as near as I can remember. Books I recommend have an R at the end.
--Crest of the Stars (Hiroyuki Morioka) R
--Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (Drew Karpyshyn)
--Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) R
--The Forever War (Joe Haldeman) R
--Orphanage (Robert Buettner)
--Old Man's War (John Scalzi)
--Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein) R
--War of the Worlds (H.G. Wells) R
--World War Z (Max Brooks)
--The Zombie Survival Guide (Max Brooks) R

Please post your own science fiction reading lists, and recommendations for what I should add to mine.
End Transmission.
Stilts
Lander

Re: Sci-Fi Reading List

Post by Stilts »

I still haven't started Old Man's War, but I promise I will after I get past my upcoming Japanese chapter test. I'll probably read Starship Troopers after that. I've also subscribed to a couple comics: Hotwire and Atomic Robo, which should be pretty interesting if the reviews of them have been accurate. And I have no reason to think they aren't. After all, Hotwire's main character, Alice Hotwire, is a detective exorcist who uses heavy fire-power and/or science to defeat ghosts in a cyberpunk-esque future. Also, she looks like this:
Warren Ellis and Steve Pugh clearly know what I like, and what I like includes short-haired blondes who dual-wield pistols.

As for your list, I'd recommend adding Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. I know, you've probably heard me praise that book a million times now, but it really is quite good. Not the most brilliant plot in the world, but it's entertaining the whole way through thanks to great characterization and quick pacing.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

I suggest you read Starship Troopers and The Forever War (in that order) before you read Old Man's War. It's a good idea to form a solid foundation in the classics of the MSF genre before starting on John Scalzi's stuff.
End Transmission.
Stilts
Lander

Post by Stilts »

Just bought two Green Lantern trade paperbacks: The Sinestro Corps War vol. 1 and To Be A Lantern. Will post comedic impressions later.