Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Tell us about the type of science fiction you enjoy.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Post by Ekuryua »

Well, I've seen the first subbed episode of this show, and I have to say it's looking a lot better than I thought it would be. I won't reveal any spoilers, but it definitely has potential. Here's to hoping it's a breath of fresh air for the Gundam franchise!

End Transmission.
Midnight Star
Founding Member

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Post by Midnight Star »

I just found out about that series last night. I have a feeling it's going to be very popular and will be in US in a year.
Azgalath
Lander

Post by Azgalath »

Midnight Star wrote:I just found out about that series last night. I have a feeling it's going to be very popular and will be in US in a year.
I hope so... then I won't have to download it. ;)

I also hope it's a breath of fresh air for Gundam... most of the series are basically the same... :o
It's going to be awesome!
Spaurh
Founding Member

Post by Spaurh »

I must admit to only really getting into the 'Gundam Wing' series, and not the other Gundams. It just kept looking like alternate realties if you will of the same story told over, and over, and over....
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Heh, ironic considering Wing is an alternate universe itself. Remember, the original Gundam is the Universal Century. Anyhoo, this series has already distinguished itself from the others by starting out with military action instead of the 'slice of life' sequence in other Gundam series. I'd say it's worth a chance, at least... it could be pretty good.
End Transmission.
Spaurh
Founding Member

Post by Spaurh »

Ya know... if you posted a simple Gundam Guide, sort of a 'this is the order, watch this first, etc' it might help... :D
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

A Gundam Guide? Interesting idea... I'll do that.
End Transmission.
Xns
Lander

Post by Xns »

Gundam?!

How did I not know about this thread sooner?! o.o

Right, let me get a quick list...

If you want to watch the Gundam series in a way that makes the most sense, you'll have to take each universe separately, meaning we'd start with the original and biggest, the UC series.

Universal Century

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Now, the Universal Century is the one that is often called the most realistic, as far as actual physics is concerned. While the animation style in the first few series seems circa 1980s (well, it is really...), the later series do carry that mid 1990s animation style, much more realistic in terms of appearance, although there are many who say the later series got a bit loose with the physics.

The next universe one may want to put time into watching is the Cosmic Era. This Includes the Seed series.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED ASTRAY
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73 STARGAZER

Not counting Gundam 00, this universe is the newest, and has had tons of mixed criticism. Seed and Stargazer are often considered the best of the bunch, while Destiny the worse. Another thing that bugged a lot of fans was that in terms of physics, these series paid little attention to it, or at least, a whole lot less then the UC series. This universe also heavily uses the whole "Teenage Angst/emo", especially in Destiny, which caused many to be turned away from it. Stargazer is a 3 episode ONA (Original Net Animation), each episode about 15 minutes long or so and is considered the Cosmic Era's redemption lol

Anywho, moving along.

Next we have the After Colony universe

New Mobile Report Gundam Wing
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Now, Gundam Wing...where to begin? Personally I was not much of a fan of it. In terms of physics, it was moderate in realism, in terms of animation, the realism was great. The only problem was the plot, more or less (in my opinion at least). While it was one of the first Gundam series showed in North America, it introduced millions to anime, alongside Dragonball and Sailor Moon. Endless Waltz was a 3 (I can't remember how many) episode OVA that later was put into a DVD version, full length movie. This universe is more political based, so many were turned away. And yes, I know, people can't stop loving the characters. Often said to have some of the best Gundam Character Developments, when you step back and look at it, I find they're all pretty much generic.

Anyways, onto the next series.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam

The Future Century universe, where waris fought through a tournament, each nation having its own representative in the Gundam Fight. This series centers around Neo Japan's fighter in his quest to locate his brother and find himself. A very Dragonball-esque Gundam series, where physics was for the most part, thrown out the window, but, the animation style is actually pretty well done. However, many hate it, many also love it. It's one of those 'you either love it or you hate it' but the general census is that it's one of the worst Gundam series out there.

That covers the four main series of the Gundam Universe (Gundam 00 is still new, so lets wait till we see more episodes). Now we get to the less official, more fanservice series. The most notorious of such, After War Gundam X and Turn A Gundam, in which (NOT OFFICIAL) Bandai fan serviced most people and did a 'what if' and linked the Universal Century universe and the After Colony universes. While there are people who believe this to be official canon and point out how some characters or events are related,it's not official, Bandai itself has even said this.

And that's all I can be bothered to type at the moment. Tired Xns is Tired. I think I'll lie down now.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Holy crap. That was an awesome Gundam Guide, Xns. :D

You forgot SD (Super Deformed) Gundam though. :P
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Double post for the lose! :evil:

The second episode is out. Procure it while its temperature remains elevated.
End Transmission.
Stilts
Lander

Post by Stilts »

Xns wrote: Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED ASTRAY
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73 STARGAZER
It should be noted that the animated version of ASTRAY is simply a two mini-episode showcase of the various characters and mobile suits in the ASTRAY manga. If you ever decide to watch Gundam SEED, you should definitely consider picking up two of the manga series: ASTRAY and ASTRAY R. ASTRAY is only three volumes long, and ASTRAY R only has four volumes, so the price won't set you back too much if you find you like the series and want to buy it. It's basically a side-story in the Gundam SEED universe, rather than a continuation of the story. Both manga series take place during Gundam SEED, though ASTRAY R (if I'm not mistaken) dips into SEED DESTINY at the end. There are three other ASTRAY mangas (X ASTRAY, ASTRAY B, and Destiny ASTRAY), of which X ASTRAY is my preferred series. ASTRAY B is a spin-off of the ASTRAY series that focuses on one of the partners of Lowe Gear (ASTRAY's protagonist). Destiny ASTRAY didn't interest me too much, since it introduces a completely new protagonist: a photo-journalist who take pictures with a Gundam. Currently, Tokyopop has translated ASTRAY, ASTRAY R, and X ASTRAY; fan-translations can be found for ASTRAY B and Destiny ASTRAY...though I don't remember where to find them.

PHEW! Sorry for that (probably a little too) in-depth ASTRAY explanation, but it's one of the few Gundam series I actually know stuff about, since I've read almost all of it. Oh, and the SEED's disregard of physics that Xns was talking about? At one point in ASTRAY R, Lowe Gear's Gundam (Red Frame) wields a katana that's around five or six times its size. Sadly, I can't find the picture of it at the moment. ;_;
Midnight Star
Founding Member

Post by Midnight Star »

Ekuryua wrote:Holy crap. That was an awesome Gundam Guide, Xns. :D

You forgot SD (Super Deformed) Gundam though. :P

The SD gundam series sucked. For some reason it got on my nerves and it was a bit too kiddy for me. :evil:
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Well, I have two eps of it downloaded... maybe I'll watch them today. :mrgreen:
End Transmission.