Ender's Game

Tell us about the type of science fiction you enjoy.
Lunchbox
Lander

Ender's Game

Post by Lunchbox »

So have any others read all of the books?

If you have....GO NOVA!!!
No fear just Beer. We provide the enemy the opportunity to die for their country. Penetration before detonation.
IYAAYAS!
Spaurh
Founding Member

Re: Ender's game

Post by Spaurh »

No I am not aware of this series. Can you give an synopsis please?
Lunchbox
Lander

Post by Lunchbox »

You fallow a boy named Andrew "Ender" wiggin from when the government took him from his parents, thru battle school and command school.
He was taken to command terrain warships in battle with the "buggers". The other books in the series fallow him after the war and one of the boys he commanded during the war. These books deal with the command aspect of space combat not tech to much.
No fear just Beer. We provide the enemy the opportunity to die for their country. Penetration before detonation.
IYAAYAS!
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

I plan to read this book as soon as I finish Dragonsdawn and Darth Bane: Path of Destruction.
End Transmission.
Stilts
Lander

Post by Stilts »

Ekuryua wrote:I plan to read this book as soon as I finish Dragonsdawn and Darth Bane: Path of Destruction.
And I plan to read it as soon as I finish Eye of the World. Those Wheel of Time books certainly are long...and there are eleven of them. >_<
Spaurh
Founding Member

Post by Spaurh »

Stilts wrote:
Ekuryua wrote:I plan to read this book as soon as I finish Dragonsdawn and Darth Bane: Path of Destruction.
And I plan to read it as soon as I finish Eye of the World. Those Wheel of Time books certainly are long...and there are eleven of them. >_<
I'm really bad with that series... I think I have most of the books for it but have yet to read them... ;)
Lunchbox
Lander

Post by Lunchbox »

Spaurh wrote:
Stilts wrote:
I'm really bad with that series... I think I have most of the books for it but have yet to read them... ;)
You would like it, Ender always goes for the weak points in the enemy defenses. His battles would be very artistic to watch, don't you think? ;)
IYAAYAS!
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

I recently read Ender's Game. I have to say, I found it enjoyable, but a little unbelievable. The entire idea of an eleven-year-old kid being some kind of flawless, undefeatable military genius didn't make it past my suspension of disbelief. More specifically, I took issue with the idea that, over the course of his training and the war, Ender NEVER lost a battle. Even the most prolific military geniuses in our history lost some of their battles. There has never been an absolutely perfect military commander... and yet, we're to believe that a prepubescent child has somehow become just that. Sorry, I'm just not buying it.

My other issue was how Peter and Valentine, Ender's siblings, managed to conquer the Earth by writing online political columns. That part just struck me as incredibly unrealistic and unnecessary to the novel's narrative. I suppose it's a good thing that real political columnists don't have that much power, otherwise we might have Ann Coulter as President. :(

Aside from these flaws, Ender's game was a pretty good book, and raises excellent questions about what constitutes brainwashing when raising children.
End Transmission.