Cloverfield

Tell us about the type of science fiction you enjoy.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Cloverfield

Post by Ekuryua »

For those of you who don't know, Cloverfield is an upcoming movie directed by J.J. Abrams. The movie received considerable hype after the teaser trailer aired before Transformers in theaters last summer. The plot of the movie involves a giant monster attack on New York City.

Teaser Trailer

Apart from the teaser, there was also a movie website.

Cloverfield Viral Website

Recently, the theatrical trailer was released, revealing the movie's name (Cloverfield) and a good deal about the plot.
The trailer also contains a VERY BRIEF GLIMPSE of the monster.

Theatrical Trailer

The official plot synopsis for the movie, which was released alongside the trailer, is as follows:
Five young New Yorkers throw their friend a going-away party the night that a monster the size of a skyscraper descends upon the city. Told from the point of view of their video camera, the film is a document of their attempt to survive the most surreal, horrifying event of their lives.
J.J. Abrams has made the following comment about Cloverfield:
We saw all these Godzilla toys, and I thought, we need our own monster, and not King Kong, King Kong's adorable. I wanted something that was just insane and intense.
Stay tuned for further updates!
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Re: Cloverfield

Post by Ekuryua »

I just thought I'd dispel a few rumors that have been floating around about this film.

Rumor 1:The monster is NOT any of the following:

-Godzilla or any other Toho Kaiju (Origin: The monster attack in the trailers is extremely similar to the Godzilla films)

-Zilla (Origin: At the end of the American Godzilla remake, one of Zilla's eggs survives, hinting at the possibility of a sequel)

-Voltron or a Lion (Origin: During the original teaser, a man is heard screaming "I saw it! It's alive! It's huge!" Some speculators misheard this line as being "It's a lion! It's huge!")

-A Parasite (Origin: "The Parasite" was a possible codename for the monster during production, but this has not been verified.)

-Cthulu (Origin: During the summer, many fans linked Cloverfield with the ARG Ethan Haas Was Right, which contains Lovecraftian elements. However, this particular ARG is actually for the upcoming video game Alpha Omega.)

-The Lost "Smoke Monster" (Origin: J.J. Abrams produced Lost, and ominous-looking smoke is visible several times in the trailers)

J.J. Abrams said Cloverfield will feature a brand new, original monster.

Rumor 2:The following is NOT an official image of the monster.
Although many websites have circulated this image as an official depiction of the Cloverfield monster, it is a piece of fanart created by Doug Williams. It is his own interpretation of what the Cloverfield monster MIGHT be, given what we know so far.
Check out Doug's original post here.

Rumor 3: The movie's title is not "Monstrous", "Colossus" or "Slusho".
Before the movie's official name was released, there was intense speculation. The names "Monstrous" and "Colossus" were both proposed by fans, and "Monstrous" was photoshopped into a fake version of the teaser poster. As for "Slusho", this is a reference to a beverage featured in other J.J. Abrams productions.
The official poster:

Well, that's about all I have for now. Are any of you looking forward to this movie?
End Transmission.
FatPianoBoy
Founding Member

Post by FatPianoBoy »

Because I love when someone breathes new life into tired tropes by bringing a touch of practicality into the storytelling (Haruhi, ef - a tale of memories, etc.), I'm quite intrigued by this.

Although, since the Statue of Liberty seems to indicate that the monster has some hind of clawed appendage, a giant, mutated blue whale is probably not it. Lol at 6-foot louse, though :rofl
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

There is a claw, hidden under the foremost fin. The reason the artist drew a mutated whale is because the monster's moan (roar?) sounds similar to a whale's. Also, one of the not-yet-disproven rumors claims that the creature is covered with small parasites that come off and attack humans.
End Transmission.
FatPianoBoy
Founding Member

Post by FatPianoBoy »

Ah, I see it now. Interesting thing on the parasites, too. January isn't far off, and we still have almost no information on this. I like it.
Azgalath
Lander

Post by Azgalath »

I can't wait! Looks cool. :mrgreen:

As for the artist's interpretation as to what the monster may look like... I'd say there are is one problem with it:
It is too big. The hand is too big to have made the claw marks on the Statue of Liberty. And it would be too slow and lumbering to be much of a threat to the army... unless it were invincible (like Godzilla). :rant
It's going to be awesome!
Stilts
Lander

Post by Stilts »

Ekuryua wrote:There is a claw, hidden under the foremost fin. The reason the artist drew a mutated whale is because the monster's moan (roar?) sounds similar to a whale's. Also, one of the not-yet-disproven rumors claims that the creature is covered with small parasites that come off and attack humans.
So it's Final Fantasy X's Sin, but with large claws? XD

To be perfectly honest, the fan-made speculative art looks pretty awesome, and I wouldn't be at all disappointed if the actual Cloverfield monster ends up looking similar to that. In any case, I'm very excited for this film. It's been a while since we've had an original and interesting monster movie, eh?
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Yeah, that's the main reason I'm so excited about this. Godzilla was great, but fifty years of "Godzilla vs..." got boring after a while. I think it's time for a new Kaiju, and I hope this one can measure up.
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Well, besides the film's release being only a few weeks away, we still know almost nothing. We do know that the teaser for "Star Trek" will be attached to the film. Look for it starting on the 18th!
End Transmission.
Katz
Lander

Post by Katz »

You know how the trailers only allow a BREIF glimpse of the monster? Well so does the movie!

I went and saw it when it first came out and WTH? I can't say it was bad because it was done in a unique and almost believable way but there are just some things about this movie that i could Rant about for days.

Now- if they make another one and EXPLAIN things than it would be another issue altogether! ... how i doubt it.
In my experience, people who feel as if they aren't special have more to contribute. Feelings of frustration and doubt and the will to overcome these feelings makes you stronger than you could possibly believe.
-World of Narue
Midnight Star
Founding Member

Post by Midnight Star »

My friend saw the movie and she told me that it was a big dissapointment. It was done by the same people who did the Blair Witch Project and done in the same style.
Katz
Lander

Post by Katz »

It is. But I hear they are going to make a second that explains things a little bit. (or maybe just carries the story/plot on)

I think my biggest issue is some of the parts being believable. The movie makes humans look so HUMANE. Like people trying to help people. NO MATTER WHAT.

I don't want to go too much into this until you/others have seen it as to not create unnecessary spoils for you.
In my experience, people who feel as if they aren't special have more to contribute. Feelings of frustration and doubt and the will to overcome these feelings makes you stronger than you could possibly believe.
-World of Narue
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

@Midnight: Actually, the Blair Witch Project was an independent film. Cloverfield was produced by J.J. Abrams of Lost fame, and directed my Matt Reeves (28 Weeks Later). As for the 'shakycam' style of the movie, it was presented in this fashion because it was supposed to have been filmed on a handheld digital video camera.

As for the monster's origins not being explained, I'm going to quote Ebert: "The origin of the monster goes unexplained, which is all right with me after the tiresome opening speeches in so many of the 30 or more "Godzilla" films." In other words, not explaining the monsters origins helps add to the mystery of the film, because something unexplained is much more frightening than something you know all about.

Methinks a few of our members have yet to see it. I'll bug them about it. :mrgreen:
End Transmission.