Japan intends to shoot down North Korean missile

Find a relevant news story? Post it here!
Ekuryua
Vassel

Japan intends to shoot down North Korean missile

Post by Ekuryua »

Japan has made it clear that they intend to shoot down the missile from the upcoming North Korean missile launch if it violates Japanese territory. This has raised questions about Japan's missile defense shield, and whether it is capable of stopping an actual missile and not just a test one. Meanwhile, the United States has made it clear it will defend Japan in the event of a North Korean attack. The Security Council will meet tomorrow to decide whether or not to authorized the interception attempt.

Personally, I think Kim Jong-il has no idea what he's doing. A missile launch, nuclear or not, is bound to attract unfriendly scrutiny from at least four major powers (Japan, China, United States and Russia), all of whom don't want to see an ICBM-capable North Korea. All this grandstanding over this missle will only weaken Kim's political position with other nations. Furthermore, given the spectacular failures of previous North Korean missile launches, many are dubious that this latest attempt will even get off the ground. What would be the point of attracting all this international animosity for a failed missile launch?
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Re: Japan intends to shoot down North Korean missile

Post by Ekuryua »

End Transmission.
Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

Wow Just what we don't need another tin pot dictator with a boom boom stick.. Mankind does not learn from it's mistakes.. :rant

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

risk
Lander

Post by risk »

the nasa space program back in the 60's used retrofitted ICBMs to lift astronauts into orbit, so even if this launch is purely for putting another piece of junk into space, if it actually reaches orbit....that is a scary success for the NKR, any rocket that could lift a communications satellite could easily deposit some nasties anywhere in the area
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

I still think it will fail. North Korea isn't exactly know for it's advanced engineering.

UPDATE: Defense Minister Yasukazu Hamada has ordered the JSDF to deploy the missile defense shield, and to intercept any North Korean missile or missile fragment that violates Japanese airspace. The JSDF are currently deploying two PAC-3 batteries in Akita and Iwate prefectures, and as well as three batteries to protect Tokyo. Additionally, two Kongō class destroyers armed with SM-3 missiles will be deployed "immediately", according to the government.
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

North Korea has launched its rocket. Although it traveled through Japanese airspace, no debris came close to hitting Japanese territory, so no interception attempt was made. It is still not clear what the rocket was carrying, or if the rocket made it into orbit.

The UN Security Council is planning to meet in emergency session on Sunday afternoon in New York.
End Transmission.
Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

No official Security Council reaction to North Korean launch
UN statement or lack there of.

In other related news
(CNN) -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il expressed "great satisfaction" Sunday after his reclusive state launched a long-range rocket, according to state-run media.
The little fat one's own words.

Opinion of the cat, which I'm sure doesn't reflect that of staff. :rant

The UN will do nothing of any consequence, emboldened, Kim Jong Il will try something a little bolder,
until either someone gets hurt or mad enough to retaliate without knowledge or approval of the UN.

Then the fur will fly.. :flame

Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

Obama gets oft-debated early morning call on N. Korea
Interesting how things have come full circle.

Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

What? The UN is doing NOTHING?!? Why, I'm shocked!
[/sarcasm]
End Transmission.