85_Return to the Source: Epilog

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

85_Return to the Source: Epilog

Post by Diaho »

Return to the Source: Epilog

The link closed, Scholar turned to Marjee, she could sense the pent up anger Marjee had just unleashed upon the ships AI. Choosing her words carefully she started saying.

"I'd like your assistance if you can keep the past in the past…" Marjee glared at and cut off Scholar…

"If I was still mad at you, you'd be… in a not so cordial mood at this moment."

Scholar rose, the next person she caught sight of was Seelnay… While everything was transpiring Seelnay had decided to arm her self, a holstered type twenty-two sidearm was strapped around her waist and hanging on her right hip, which prompted this from Scholar.

"Do you really think that is necessary?" not changing her expression Seelnay answered.

"We're going to a wilderness area; I'm just covering my bases."

Leaving the bridge and approaching the docked shuttle they met Greta and her charges… a look that could stop a meteorite in free fall came from Greta followed by this.

"The crew is on the station getting checked out, and we ARE accompanying you planet side, no arguments."

Marjee could sense the general mood of Greta and her group, before entering the shuttle she pulled them aside and said.

"While your help will be welcomed, any interference and…" a mental image was projected, that even disturbed Scholar, and then Marjee continued.

"If you willing to accept this will be the result of open interference fine, if not, return planet side with the crew."

Agreement was reached with one person commenting quietly…

"She never struck me as … wow… she's scary."

In the Command Center Noel was conversing with Sari and Cassandra she said she would be returning to the underground city and continued.

"Sari let grandfather know that Scholar's going to need help in accomplishing her ritual, and I believe the equipment she brought with her needs to interface with the system below. Since I know that system better than any one else I believe my presence will ensure it goes off without a hitch. I'll be home before you know it."

Noel leaves, Cassandra watches and once out of sight she tells Sari…

"Assemble a detail and have them join up with her… I still don't trust Scholar, Noel now knows, what I believe some may feel, is too much. If there are those who might want to interfere, targeting the underground city makes sense."

Sari leaves and Cassandra reflects on the present situation, something is still bothering her.

Defiance and Ramaj are retrieving the mine field they had just laid, as they finished; a link from KO and Eliana opened, KO addressed them.

"Plot a course to the transports and join up with them… once the transports are delivered safely; Captain Pratt; you will hand your command over to Captain Lynn and bring Paveryua back to port. Defiance and Ramaj, once command exchange is complete I will have a mission for the two of you, after we brief Command. For the moment that is all."

The link closes there is no surprise aboard either ship. Former mine field secured they meet up with the transports, once delivered safely the change of command is complete, as a slightly confused Shawn opens a link to his grandmother to find; Plakia, KO and Eliana waiting. KO starts of the conversation by saying.

"Captain Lynn, congratulations on your promotion, I have a mission for the two of you. I'll give you the simple details. After Shawn's encounter with the Abh fleet vessel Revello, it was seen in the vicinity of the Dorian disputed lands. While the Abh along with others laid claim to the area, it's been a … lawless, uncivilized, area, and those are the best words I dare use to explain said space. Another link is being assembled there you'll find Cassandra and Lafiel, Shawn I wish there was a better way to do this but… you've had an encounter with a member of an Abh royal family, if she is who she is and is intent of carrying out what she was backing before her assumed…" Shawn cut KO off.

"KO stop there, add the other link, I only want to go through this once." the link opens, a slightly confused Lafiel and Cassandra appear and Shawn continues.

"While on the present mission I had an encounter with an Abh expeditionary force and a communication with its commander I'll play that encounter now."

The replay starts and while only a few moments in length you could see Lafiel is visibly shaken, Cassandra was seen taking her hand and as the video ended Lafiel inquired?

"Son what was the name of the ship she commanded?"

"Revello mother; a new advance class of, I'm guessing, fast cruiser… its dimensions move it out of the frigate classes but it seems smaller than the typical fast light cruiser, that aside, should that be Miranda and knowing where at this moment her fleet is… I'm assuming you've been briefed?" At this moment KO and Eliana cut in and said.

"No Captain Lynn they've not been briefed, they also are unaware of where you're standing at the moment although the orders have been cut and signed for… that doesn't matter right now… Revello and fleet are within the Dorian disputed lands and we're planning on sending those two to investigate in detail."

"KO you're moving too fast we need…"

"Sorry Cassie, the Dorian's are getting itchy that's part of the reason for Vekk pushing to get those transports back incase there would have to be a rapid exodus from the area… as for the investigation, since Shawn has already had a run in with their fleet he's qualified to introduce them to his new command… Plakia… I'm sending a ghost to check the validity of a ghost. The balance of the fleet, except Pegasus, will stand by, I… we are assuming Pegasus days of space travel might end shortly… also there has been a change of command that although we resisted, it was going to occur one day... Ariel assumes command of Independence, the on again off again Commander, Kenesh is returning to teaching and intelligence services. That is all for the time being."

The main link closes and another one opens between Plakia and Shawn.

"Grandmother, the look on mother's face, KO had me blindside her for which I'm not…"

"Refrain from further thought on the subject… just so you know I had a hand in how your information was to be presented, although estranged, your mother and the Emperor are still blood, my blood in fact, I didn't want Lafiel totally in the dark yet, it was quite the balancing act to keep everything as it is for the moment. Our job… adverting a possible showdown between the Empire and the Alliance over a fairly useless part of space. Anything else you'd like to discuss before we get started?"

"Two things; are we staying for the ritual and curiosity is going to get the better of me… who ended up Dai's new first officer?"

"Answer to the first question seems to be yes I've not heard anything else to the contrary. Your second question I'll answer with one word…Hoi."

Stunned was the feeling, Hoi, Dai's chief engineer, Arisa's daughter and Dai's sometimes nemesis, now sits number two. 'Oh that's got to be something to behold' Shawn thought.

In high orbit above Shahrazad sits Independence. From the center seat Kenesh takes in a final view of the planet from this platform. The lift door opens and Ariel enters moving to her mother's side she says.

"I was surprised that you finally decided to…." Kenesh cut her off and said.

"Let's get a couple of things clear, since I came to this world I've become… planet happy… not that space holds my curiosity but, I do enjoy the feeling of the soil beneath me, a gentle rain and the sights and smells that Shahrazad presents. Pairing you with Dai was partially my idea, I knew from her you'd get a well rounded view of life, a view, when you were younger, I was unable to provide. I now feel comfortable entrusting this ship and its crew to you."

Rising from the seat Kenesh motions Ariel to sit, once seated Kenesh continues.

"It's an awesome responsibility, but don't let the weight get you down. You've been well trained and you have the experience however, you have a very competent crew, especially your senior officers, when in doubt seek their advice. Be safe my daughter and may the stars guide you."

Kenesh leaves, as the lift doors shut, Ariel sits viewing the planet a tear gently falls from her cheek.

A large clearing slowly fills with those from the transports; they stay in their groups, as they were aboard the asteroid. Scholar has set an array of equipment from Pegasus around the perimeter. Seeing this Marjee inquires.

"Is there significance to this area I'm just wondering why here?"

Scholar produced her tablet and displayed an image. In this image there appeared what looked like a temple and its location matched the general geographical layout of the current area almost exactly. This was what Scholar said.

"On Aurora, this is where the 'Temple to the Spirits' was located. There was a similar structure on this world, in this location that had been leveled by Tay and her kind, but, the energy flow here is still strong. My intention is to tap that energy and use it to restore my tribe's health."

Hearing this Marjee, Seelnay and Greta moved away and had this conversation.

"I and my group have felt something, unusual since we got here; I wonder if this is the 'energy' Scholar is speaking of." Greta said.

"Could be, when we were exploring and mapping this section, there were reports of static energy discharges but we never took the time to fully investigate them." Seelnay commented.

Producing her tablet Marjee pulled up the area in question and said.

"On the surface it looks peaceful enough, however what's below the surface is interesting to say the least. Have a look."

The subterranean view showed a complex, recently discovered that is part of the ancient city, below the surface, that Noel has been exploring for decades, which brought this comment from Seelnay.

"I noticed she wasn't present with the delegation from the Village and Command. I believe she's figured this out and is below us waiting to see what help, if any, she can provide."

Pulling a communications device from her jacket and opening it she continued.

"Well what do you know; Noel's personal tracker is about two thousand meters distant and twenty meters in depth from this location. She's heading this way it seems."

"I wonder if Noel knew more than she's let on… a little questioning will have to occur once this 'revival' is done." Marjee said.

Yuwanda approached Scholar she had four women with her. When Scholar saw them she motioned them to return to the area from which they had come from by saying.

"Hold fast a little longer, once the ritual is complete everything will make sense."

Without saying a word they returned to the area and sat patiently upon the ground. It was at that time Seelnay, Greta and Marjee approached Scholar with Marjee asking.

"Is there anything…"

"Yes, there is. While I finish this last set of computations keep an eye out for those who might try to wander off. I see this as a one time attempt is all we're going to get. Considering the energy readings for this area are not as strong as I anticipated."

Marjee, Seelnay, Greta and her group move to positions where they could observe all in attendance. A half hour passed and Greta was noticing some restlessness within the group she contacted Marjee and said.

"Scholar needs to hurry up the natives are getting restless…"

As those last words left her; a pale blue light illuminated the entire area, all who were seated stood and cast their eyes skyward. Marjee requested that the group return to where Scholar was she also asked if they sensed something in the air. The answer from all was 'YES'.

Alarms rang through out the space dock as Pegasus unmoored itself and moved slowly away from the station. Positioning itself in high orbit above the area where Scholar was, it powered up the main array and sat waiting for… Marjee's comm. device went off as soon as Pegasus started moving. She notified Command that the ship was needed for this event but Scholar hadn't made it clear why. She told KO and Eliana to target, but hold their fire… and said

"Scholar's put a lot of effort into this ritual, I'm positive no harm will come to us or those gathered."

"If you can, tell Scholar no more surprises, I've got a trigger happy bunch up here watching her every move." KO said.

Marjee passed KO's message to Scholar which got this response.

"Wonderful, they're all watching; I'm ready, executing in three, two, and one."

The pale blue light modulated, the ground gently rumbled and a wide dispersion beam from above encompassed all in the area.

Below the surface, sitting at a console, Noel took note of the interaction and said to those with her.

"Scholar's tapped into the geothermal reactors, modulating at sixty five percent, I wonder how much power she’ll need… each one of you, take a reactor and monitor it. I'll watch the system output and sign any of trouble shout out, is that clear."

"Yes, perfectly clear."

Noel contacts Command and gives them an update, then finishes by saying.

"These reactors, while stable, are also centuries old I don't foresee any problems, but… keep what I just said in mind."

Aboard Pegasus an intricate program is being executed… massive amounts of data is being transmitted to those on the ground, yet also, selectively targeted at each member in kind. A reprogramming, to say, is occurring but what will the outcome be? An hour passes; the beam from Pegasus ceases, while on the surface the pale blue light intensifies and changes to an almost cobalt blue. The ground trembling reaches a crescendo then, as suddenly as it started, it stops.

Below them Noel and her people breathed a sigh of relief. The reactors held; the maximum usage was ninety-five percent for about five minutes. The system was now spooling down and with that they returned to the surface, although isolated, Noel had felt what had occurred. She wondered what she was going to find once she got back.

The first to seek out Scholar was Yuwanda and those with her… this time there seem to be no confusion.

"I'd thought I would never see you again, it's no longer Prime Minister is it, and you've reverted to using the name the Council despised, out of spite, me thinks." Yuwanda said.

"That's a better greeting than I expected, let me see if my memory is any good."

The first woman that stood next to Yuwanda went to speak but Scholar stopped her and the others by saying.

"Princess Alyssa, Princess Naomi, Princess Chitose and Princess Hanna, I bid each of you greetings; we have much to discuss and you have much to relate to us about your… journey."

The surprise of those gather was expressed by Yuwanda who said.

"Regenerations have served you well… Scholar… accurate as always… much to discuss, much to explain and… my dear Scholar where are we to live?"

Scholar motioned to the group from the Village and Command Center… an explanation of their new home was made and… Princess Naomi said.

"We have the freedom to customize our sections, I'm sorry but the past of grey and dirt does not appeal to any of us."

"There are artisans in the Village that will more than happy to help you and although your memories have been restored. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you might be a bit 'rusty'. If you get my meaning." Scholar said.

An assortment of expressions where shown most positive however Princess Hanna had something to interject into the conversation.

"It's been a long time since I've been addressed as 'Princess', personally I'd be quite happy as Hanna and nothing more."

Hanna's statement seemed to ring true with those gathered so from then of the title of 'Princess' would be no more.

Seelnay was off to one side observing the proceedings when Chitose approached her. Chitose was tall and her short hair hung just above her shoulders. Eying Seelnay she said…

"I like that outfit, and that sidearm you're carrying, might I have a look at it?"

Seelnay removed her side arm, deactivated it and set the safeties. Handing it to Chitose she said.

"You'll find the normally weapons are not carried, the only reason I brought this is…"

"We're in a wilderness area and I sense wolves in the distance but I believe them to be only curious."

Suppressing her thoughts, Seelnay now considered a fact she had earlier considered. 'We now have thirty thousand telepaths of various flavors on this world… oh this should be fun."

"Not thirty thousand probably five hundred at most, I have to admit you did and excellent job of screening your thoughts Seelnay, and ninety five percent of those here wouldn't have 'heard' you at all. I'm the most gifted of… it seems those wolves might be more than curious. Do you have another weapon?"

Seelnay did, and as she pulled it from back belt holster back Chitose said.

"Arm this, we need to …. Arm it now if you please and follow me."

Seelnay sensed something too, arming the weapon they headed to the rocky outcrop about two hundred meters away and…

The series of wailing howls echoed across the plain, Scholar motioned to those near the outcrops to move into the clearing as the last were arriving the sound of weapons fire was heard. Marjee looked and Seelnay was gone, Yuwanda reported Chitose was nowhere to be seen. The weapons fired ceased almost as soon as it began, Marjee's communicator went active it was Seelnay who said.

"Dispatch a security detail to my location; make sure they know we've stumbled on to that pack of wolves that have been terrorizing the farmers as of late. They're on the run and we're fine for the moment, they should pose no direct threat to you."

"Seelnay define; we're fine, if you please… also the detail is heading your way."

"We are, Chitose and I, she's quite the skilled tracker and hunter it seems… she sensed them coming almost a kilometer off."

Marjee was dumbfounded, but, neither Scholar nor Yuwanda seemed the least bit surprised by this development.

"Well it didn't take her long to adapt, I pity those wolves… she'll search out the pack leaders and if she can't convert them she'll…"

Yuwanda's words stunned Marjee even further, she was about to speak when…

"Not to worry about your friend or Chitose, she's in her element, her domain was wilderness and she had the wild life under control… You'll find she's quite an orderly person unlike some…

"Enough Yuwanda, it's not been one cycle and you're trying to reassess your authority. An authority, which, if you remember, got us placed on that 'rock'."

Naomi, Alyssa and Hanna were firm in their joint statement, which Alyssa put punctuation on.

"There is a Council here with ample experience concerning this world. I strongly suggest you 'Retire' live a sedate and unassuming life."

Alyssa's words stung worse than any insect could… Yuwanda turned towards Scholar and said…

"It's getting dark; I believe it's time we went to our new and permanent home. I think you should lead us there."

They gather and made the hour walk to their new home… Marjee on the other hand was heading to Seelnay's last location with Greta and group in tow.

Seelnay and Chitose had met up with the security detail. It was getting dark as Chitose said.

"They've scattered, we can either pursue them tonight or see what first light brings?"

For Seelnay it had been quite a full day, the thought of tracking an illusive foe in the dark wasn't pleasing. Chitose sensed this and continued.

"The Village is about thirty kilometers off if we use these… what are they called again?"

They were something Jinto had invented to suit the ever changing terrain of this world, they could hover over water of crawl over land, their correct name was 'All purpose vehicle' or APV for short.

"APV's, I believe you're thinking about taking the direct route, a torture test, yes?"

"Well yes, looks like it could be fun…" Chitose said with a smile. Seelnay contacted Marjee, told her they were headed to the Village and to meet them there. Hopping in the seat Seelnay said.

"Be gentle, these bones aren't a flexible as they use to be." Chitose nodded in agreement and they were off.

Returning to the Village for the city below Noel stopped by Dawn's and…

"Noel, I'm so glad you're back… the preliminary test results from your mother just arrived… tell you what, you read it for yourself."

Dawn handed Noel the report, as she read it she pulled out a seat took to it and said.

"While I'm not surprised, I am also as well, that's why Scholar… you realize what we just saved don't you?"

Dawn took in Noel's words, sat for a moment and said.

"Not only our future, but our past, which I'm still having… getting my head wrapped around. And on a related note… Mom's on her way here with one of the 'princesses' from… there… I mean where did they come from?"

A wry smile came across Noel's face she faced Dawn and said.

"This planet, in another timeline and universe, is their home and with what occurred below; the planetary AI system recognized them as the true inhabitants of this world, even though they're not… try not to lose any sleep over it, in time it will all make sense."

Dawn's look told Noel that most of what she said had registered, which was a good thing, because at that moment Seelnay and Chitose arrived. Entering the room Chitose moved towards Noel and said.

"I thank you, not only for myself but my people, for your assistance in performing the ritual. It would seem not only were you expecting my comment but… Noel, you not need be so modest about it."

Noel smiled and said.

"Your ability to read minds at a distance impresses no end, however could you, in future, refrain from it. There are those on this world…"

"I understand completely, accept my apology, I'll let those of us with this ability know… it'll not happen again unless we have permission to."

The telepathic message Chitose sent was answered almost immediately, by over a thousand separate 'voices' to which Noel, handing Chitose Dawn's pad continued.

"I know you understand our language and customs; do you realize what the reaction of those who know about this will be?"

Chitose scanned the data, it was like she already knew what was there and it could also be the reason she came here with Seelnay. Handing the pad back she said.

"I'm impressed, this Doctor Sasoum who… Noel, your mother is a genuine genius, a person who I would like to meet when the time is right."

"My mother aside, this data, how many… you can read my thoughts, because I can't find the words."

Chitose had already ascertained Noel's dilemma, the answer was.

"I think a little history lesson is required… the reason this planet and… 'Tay's planet' went to war was our objections to their genetic engineering projects, we were creating peaceful civilizations naturally, while Tay's people were creating; for lack of better words 'slaves'…. one place you won't find any of our DNA is in those you call the Zon… however that said I'm surprised they still exist in this timeline, they should have died off by now, unless…"

"You're correct, we meddled, we undid the genetic fix, was that your fix or…"

Noel's answer caught Chitose off guard for a second, she recovered and said.

"Fix? If you mean the inability to mate outside their own race, that was Tay's people's doing, it was the first of many things that ended up starting the conflict between our worlds, but enough of that for now… I seem to be hungry is there somewhere I can get something to eat?"

They went to the outdoor restaurant, to the private section reserved for those from the Command Center, on the way Noel had invited a few guests to join them, KO, Eliana and Cassandra were present, a meal was ordered introductions made, and the conversation began.

Cassandra began by saying.

"Welcome, in time we'll all get to know one and another but for now there are a few pressing questions that we would like answered and you seem to be the…"

"Most open person of those you've met? I am and it's caused trouble in the past… if I might, could I scan each of you and try in one statement to answer most of your questions?"

As expected KO declined the rest accepted and Chitose took in their thoughts, taking a moment she said.

"KO, is it, if you'll wait I'll answer any other questions you might have, as for the rest of you although varied your question lie along a common theme… we are alone, no one else can hear us, correct?"

Assured they were quite isolated Chitose began…

"You got a partial explanation from Scholar; while details can come later. I can tell you what I know and what I gleaned from Pegasus's main frame while the transition occurred. Imagine you come across your completely identical twin, when we were discovered, those from this timeline that had survived, were confronted with this dilemma. There were those who wanted our permanent removal, fortunately they did not prevail or I would not be sitting here. The asteroid, that's the decision those who were in the majority made. Stripping us of our ability to think properly, or so they assumed, and casting us off to a very uncertain future seemed better and more acceptable to them than killing all of us. The domes, the mind control, the constant conflict, were to assure we could not regain our identities and return to fight another day. In that sense it worked from what I learned from Pegasus's AI, that entire system underwent a major transformation. The third and forth planets vanished as far as life supporting went and what happened to the gas giant, that's a surprise which half of me would like to explore however…"

Chitose stopped talking, and although she looked tired, her eyes… it was at that time KO took a chair, placed the back facing Chitose and sat in it facing her. KO's arms supporting her head and she stared deep into Chitose eyes while saying…

"You feel it too, I can sense that your ability is leaps and bounds advanced over mine, but I sense you feel what I'm feeling. Am I correct?"

Chitose sat motionless her eyes closed she projected an image which all at the table found unnerving. Slowly opening her eyes she looked at KO and…

"Is that what you're experiencing? While the image I saw has no meaning to me I just shared it with you all to see if…"

KO never took her eyes off Chitose, turned her wrist and activated her comm. device, she then said the following...

"Marjee, open a scrambled link to Shawn and Plakia inform them to approach the area at battle ready and expect to be confronted… if they find hostilities have broken out, they are to refrain from engagement until our main force arrives. Sign it Eli, Cassie and I and sent it immediately."

"Understood, message sent should I…"

"Gather the Commanders bring Greta and her group, we're in the back of the Café. Waste no time and bring Lafiel with you if she hasn't returned."

"Will do, KO, Scholar is with me and wants to come as well."

Placing the communication on mute KO looks at Chitose and says…

"It's your call, if you want her here, its okay with the rest of us."

"Just her, the rest, leave in the dark for now, I don't need a scene. I need an explanation; why did my thoughts provoke such a response for you, and I'm keeping my word, I've not scanned any of you."

Reopening the link KO said.

"Marjee bring just Scholar, make any excuse you need, but get here A.S.A.P."

"Lafiel should be there soon we're leaving now, Dai and Ariel have also responded and should arrive shortly."

KO closed the link returned to her seating position, and said.

"I give you permission to access my thoughts on the subject of which I'm concentrating on… any further intrusion will be met…"

"I understand I'll be brief."

Chitose peered into KO's thoughts her expression changed to a stunned disbelief, as she leaned back from KO, KO said.

"Welcome to your new home and unfortunately you've arrived on the eve of a major conflict. If what we've seen, turns out to be true."

The message arrived and Plakia decoded it, upon reading it for the third time, she sent this message to Shawn.

"I'm dropping to sub light do the same and position your self ten thousand meters off my starboard side. Once you are there and stable I'll be transporting over."

Shawn saw this message and realized something had happened, something his grandmother, who rarely used a transporter, wanted to convey to him in person. Slowing and syncing his vessel with hers he awaited at the transport station. It was not a long wait. Plakia materialized on the pad, tablet in hand, and asked to be taken somewhere secure. In a room off the main corridor Plakia handed Shawn the pad, as he read it she said.

"You know that unexplainable, queasy, unsettling, feeling we've had since we left Shahrazad? I believe somehow KO's experienced it as well. I suggest we change our plans completely… there is that giant gaseous cloud which would hide an entire fleet and that was how we were going to approach. I suggest we stay in open space at least five light minuets from any obstructions and launch a series of probes…"

Shawn moved to a wall display, activated it and brought the star charts up for the region in question and said.

"I'll go along with staying in the clear but… this cluster of asteroids if not occupied can be a defensible position with a mine field laid here. We'd be close enough to observe yet in a position..."

"That's a possibility with one exception I'd want an escape route if a sizable force were to approach our position, a way out gracefully if you get my meaning."

Shawn look at the date on the chart it was several years old a lot can happen in that amount of time turning to Plakia he said.

"We sit tight, send a probe to the location, make a detailed scan and go from there, or do you have another thought?

"We're too far away at the moment. I suggest we get a bit closer, but stealthily, launch a probe and stay sub light so we won't leave a large energy signature. If there is a hostile force out there, that's the first thing they should be on the look out for, do you agree?"

Shawn agreed, a probe was launched and Command notified of the changes in plans. It would take an hour or better to get a response and about four hours to get to the point that Plakia wanted them to be at. It was now a cat and mouse game… however this time they were probably the mice.

The back room at the Café was filling up as Marjee arrived with Scholar. Chitose was definitely the 'center' of attention. Scholar made a move toward Chitose; she stopped talking and stopped Scholar by saying.

"Don't bother trying to stabilize me, given what I've experienced over the past few hours I consider myself fairly stable. You've been with these people for a long time, is there any reason I should doubt what they are telling me?"

Scholar was momentarily confused, what had they said to her? KO stepped in-between them and let Scholar take a look at her thoughts, a stunned Scholar finally said.

"Believe them, and after getting a sample of what's been shared I know understand why only I was brought along. KO do you really think…"

Dawn came forward and handed Scholar a tablet. Scanning it she said.

"You are absolutely sure of this data there is no question?"

Taking the tablet back Dawn said.

"Unfortunately it's been verified by several reliable sources, now that everyone is here I need to… um KO you're going to assist me correct?"

KO reached for the tablet and with Noel by her side the two of them stated to explain.

"When Pegasus went to high orbit it took note of not only the planet but it captured movement on it ultra long range sensors. While it was conducting the ritual it also was analyzing what the sensors had captured, the trace and signature you seen has been verified. Although a momentary contact, a course was projected and unless they take a hard turn in a shear direction they're going to wind up in the Badlands also at their estimated speed they'll be there in less than six hours. I should add that with in the past hour there has been a flurry of communications between the Zon ambassador on Doras and the home world. It doesn't take a degree in investigative science to gather what going on. A conformation will be when their main battle fleet crosses the buffer zone. I am going out on a fairly steady limb and…"

Noel stopped KO. Took the tablet brought up a diagram and said.

"You're all trained individuals, I'll show this to you one at a time, and you can come to your own conclusion. I'll not state the obvious because although this place is secure… I'll not utter what KO and I are thinking aloud."

They gathered around Noel and looked at the diagram; Lafiel and Cassandra were the last to take it in. Lafiel took a step back faced Dawn and said.

"You are one hundred percent sure of…" Dawn stopped her by saying

"Not only that sure but also that a lot of lives depend on the validity of that information… while KO was mentioning a limb earlier I have to say, unless the next scan from Doras conflicts with what you have there I believe a full scale invasion…"

Noel stopped her.

"That's enough, any further discussion I strongly suggest we move somewhere completely secure."

Moving to Scholar and Chitose, Noel continued.

"I'm sorry to insist on your first day in a new world, but I feel not only do we need you where we can consult with you, but for your own protection we'd like…"

"You would like us to accompany you to the Command Center, is that you're thought's Noel? Our protection or…"

The emotional outburst, to the comment, came from a surprising source. Lafiel strode over to Scholar and said.

"That's my mother and my son we're talking about. Mind you're tongue Scholar and curb your thoughts or I'll…" Cassandra moved in between them, moving Lafiel away she said.

"KO, Eli, Noel, it's in your lap, I want a plan of action within the hour, Marjee contact the observation group. They are to stay well clear of the area in question and inform them of the scans from Pegasus… come mother; before you resort to… you got your message across…"

Cassie and Lafiel leave, Chitose was, stunned; she looked at Scholar and inquired.

"How many with telepathic ability are on this world? Although not a true telepath, that woman who just left here, her thoughts directed at you, she was serious wasn't she?"

Scholar informed Chitose about one third of the planetary population had some kind of telepathic ability and that Lafiel was dead serious about her telegraphed promise.

They adjourned to the Command Center, where an exhausted Chitose was allowed to sleep, while Seelnay and Greta kept watch.

Vekk paced the bridge of the transport, having just arrived he found a disorganized evacuation was trying to occur and…

"Vekk, the governing body is on the link, they've requested your presence…"

"Requested you say, are your sure it wasn't a demand like all earlier transmission have been? Could it be they actually might really need our assistance this time? I'll take it in my cabin, when I decide to get there, for now place them in the cue."

Vekk strolls off the bridge as he leaves the communications operator says.

"So that's the sign of a highly angered Suran? They wander off nonchalantly yet redder than any vegetables I've ever seen. On hold they are, hopefully he'll talk to them sometime today."

Marjee's communication arrived along with the scans from Pegasus. They retreated to an area indicated in the orders and Plakia placed the images on the main viewer, enhanced and started to study them. Her first office took in the view and said aloud.

"That has to be most of the Zon home guard, why are they heading to the Badlands in…"

Plakia turned and faced her, she said.

"While you initial assumption is correct as to whose fleet it is, the system is still tabulating but, I feel it's the entire home guard and the reason might be as simple as…"

Plakia faced the viewer again; the details of the scan were being displayed. While taken at a long range the assorted energy signatures indicated… thinking aloud she said.

"At battle ready and battle speed… what the devil is Tara thinking… see if you can open a secure link to the Zon home world and get Tara on the line… and don't be surprised if she's not home."

To be continued in: Welcome to your new home unfortunately you've arrived on the eve of a major conflict.

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."