86_Welcome to your new home unfortunately you've arrived on the eve of a major conflict

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

86_Welcome to your new home unfortunately you've arrived on the eve of a major conflict

Post by Diaho »

Welcome to your new home unfortunately you've arrived on the eve of a major conflict

It had been three hours since Lafiel's outburst; the analysis of the scans from Pegasus was complete, a link was open between Plakia, Shawn and Dawn; the information exchange was occurring… Opening her eyes Chitose realized she was being observed and conformation was made when Seelnay said this into her comm. device.

"She's awake, I see, we'll be there shortly."

Turning to face Chitose, Seelnay said.

"Could you please accompany us, your assistance is requested, if you feel up to it that is."

Chitose felt rested and the invitation did not come as a surprise. She figured her 'history' had finally caught up with her and she figured it was Scholar…

"I'm happy to be of any assistance I can render, she we go?"

Leaving the room and making their way to the main center KO approached Chitose and said.

"It would seem that in your past history you…"

"KO is it, don't mince words, without reading your thoughts, I know you know, about my past. What assistance can I be to you?"

Offering Chitose a seat KO came to the point.

"I had an idea from Seelnay you were a gifted hunter. What I've learned, while you rested, was your ability to find a 'needle in a haystack' no matter how large the…"

"We promised we'd not return to space, you're asking me to go back on that promise are you not?"

Perplexed, but also knowing that was a possible response, KO continued.

"I believe an exception can be made for this occasion…"

"And what about the next time and the next… Look KO, NO means NO unless…"

"You join us and abandon the others… is that what I'm sensing?"

Although Chitose had promised not to read the others thoughts, KO had made no such promise and continued.

"To be honest, I'd be happy to welcome you into our ranks, however, the current Council now controls your fate. If you assist us I'm sure it would benefit both of us equally."

Chitose, expert hunter, intelligence gather, former commander of the super secret force that kept her world safe was perplexed, although this wasn't her world, it was now and these people if they were to be… then she and the others would be…

"What do you require of me? After I hear that from you, I will make my decision."

Communications with the Zon home world were being ignored… Shawn was linked with Plakia and the conversation between her and the communications officer was as follows:

"Captain, we're not only being refused but blocked at every attempt, I'm running out of frequencies to try."

"Cease what you're doing and open a link to the Zon Ambassador on Doras, lets see if he'll talk to us… and let him know, in no uncertain terms, who is requesting communications, but fail to give him a reason. That curious old fool should fall for that ploy."

The attempt was made and initially Plakia was informed the Ambassador was unable to speak at the moment, however a littlie insistence brought the Ambassador on line and….

"My dear Commander Lexshu, to what do I owe the honor of this communication?"

"Ambassador, I'll not mince words, we've been trying to raise the home world to get assistance with what we believe is a sensor array malfunction but we keep getting ignored or blocked. I was wondering if you could assist us with tracking down the problem."

"Of course I'll try, what seems to be your question?"

"Could you verify the present location of your home fleet?"

A panicked look came across his face; averting his eyes from the monitor he said.

"As far as I know, at the moment, they are within the defense zone conducting simulated war games; might I inquire why you asked?"

"The entire fleet you say?"

"Of course, could you explain this inquiry Commander?"

"Must be a sensor ghost, we had information they were several light years from the defense zone, but if you say that's where they are then we'll recalibrated our equipment. Thank you Ambassador."

Before he could respond Plakia cut the link and said.

"A very non-convincing lie, monitor Doras I have a feeling…"

Before the words have left her Shawn piped in and said.

"While you were talking to him he had a direct line to the home world open… I'm sure your message was delivered… pretty sneaky grandmother, I wonder what Minchi is thinking now."

"If it's Minchi she'll probably gloss over it, but if Tara is aboard I'm sure a bit of doubt and panic might be setting in… especially if this was suppose to be a covert operation… although I have no idea what they're thinking, fleet movements on a scale that large, even thou space is massive, are bound to be observed by someone somewhere. Forward everything we have to Command and we'll proceed as planned."

Chitose was waiting for KO to respond; KO was gathering her thoughts and began by saying:

"Tell me what you know about the Zon from your time line… then besides Tay's race, any others you came across?"

Chitose sat for a moment then linked with KO. An information exchange was accomplished in moments which would have taken hours normally to voice. They sat digesting the information it was Chitose who first spoke

"Warriors, with some compassion, these Zon of this time line… I see why they have become an unpredictable hand full. Abh you say? There was talk of creating a race such as you… I'm glad it sort of worked out; however this genetic disposition some of you share almost puts you on the same plane as the Zon…. I guess that's why…"

KO interjected.

"Those of us who decided to be released from that 'pre programmed destiny' are doing nicely, thank you, however those who are following the ancient lines can be quite difficult. At times damn near impossible… yeah Zon like."

A smile crept across both of their faces… Chitose concluded by saying.

"This fragile Alliance you have, the constant hostilities from within and externally… it would be nice to live somewhere at peace for once… these 'Bad lands' are they really worth starting a galactic conflict over? Hum, I wonder, I'll help for the reason I just stated; to bring peace… if your motives prove otherwise though, we number many and will oppose you at every turn… that's my only condition, is it acceptable to you?"

KO didn't bat an eye, those were acceptable conditions and a partnership, which would last a lifetime, was made.

The argument rage throughout the ship, it was Minchi's plan to retake the 'Badlands' and initially Tara agreed, but now that the fleet had been spotted and Tara was getting 'cold feet'. Minchi was not going to be denied her chance at glory, period.

"On the home world you command, here in space I command, if you can not stay still I'll put you on a transport and send you home, for out here my word is law."

Tara took in this last outburst and knew she'd been out maneuvered; she'd stay silent, for now, once back home, should they survive, she'd fix a few errors she'd created. Minchi feeling everything was settled proceeded to the Badlands. Arriving and seeing the Abh presence did not dissuade her in the least, she just slightly altered her plans. She'd try negotiating with the Abh and if that didn't work out she had a four to one superiority to them, she'd just crush them if they didn't listen.

For Shawn and Plakia, Minchi's arrival, although they knew, her manner of arrival sent a chill through them. The link to Command became active with…

"KO, the Zon have arrived in force and have the Abh surrounded. We're estimating Minchi has at least a four to one superiority. We're monitoring communications between the flagships; I suggest you get here, now, before the shooting starts."

In Command, Plakia's message arrived; KO stares in disbelief and says.

"Have the scouts leave a probe and withdraw to the rendezvous point, Eli are you listening?"

"I'm listening, course plotted, waiting…"

"Take command of the fleet and get there, we'll catch up to you and do not fire the first shot is that understood?"

"Understood estimating two hours…"

"GO!"

The link goes silent KO taps Chitose on the shoulder, points to the transport pad and say's.

"Ready to have your atoms scrambled?"

A curious look and the understanding of what is about to happen they step on the pad and disappear in a flash of light.

Seelnay looked at Cassandra and said.

"That was… she'll be alright, I hope… if you want me I'll be at Dawn's she could probably use some help about now.

Transport to Illusion was complete making their way to the bridge once the door opened and the ship scanned them Lyra hissed and went off line. It was Orion that offered and explanation.

"There was some information withheld from you that needs to be divulged before we can leave this world… her genetic make up fits the profile of the 'enemy' and Lyra' is tasked with preventing…"

KO moved to Lyra's interface connecting directly with it, a few was seconds passed before Lyra came back on link. The holographic image looks as if it had been scolded…

"I understand Captain. I'll not make any moves however…"

"There is no however Lyra, Orion plot the course and execute, Leo battle speed, once clear of the planet… Sarah let Eli know we're coming. Illusion rises to a high orbit and vanishes with a purple fireball.

In the Badlands the arrival of the Abh came as no surprise, however the entire Zon fleet arriving and surround the Abh sent shock waves… frantic calls for transport were dispatched and Vekk fielded as many as he could. Opening a link to Zachary he said.

"I don't know what's about to happen but notify our Governments and the Alliance, ha, that a skirmish is probably inevitable."

"Vekk, old friend, skirmish, really, it must be bad… stay safe, I'll inform our leaders and just to let you know. Shahrazad seems to be sending everything they have in this direction."

"Normally I'd find comfort in that but… I've got to go; I'll consider your words and see you soon."

The link closed Zachary delivers Vekk's message, then opens a link to…

At her console Hoi sees a priority one communication arriving, it's an encrypted link, bringing it to Dai's attention she opens it and…

"Ah Zachary, I really don't have time to chit chat…."

"Captain Lexshu. I'll come to the point, Vekk and twenty transports are scouring the Badlands gathering evacuees, in a communications I just had with him… Dai he told me good bye… do everything you can to prevent the impending slaughter I fear will occur."

The link goes silent, Dai stares at the main viewer, opens a link to Eli and KO and relates the one sided conversation she just received then says.

"What kind of insanity are we about to witness? You really think Minchi and the Abh…."

Hoi responds before anyone else…

"Captain, forty-eight minutes to rendezvous… hopefully nothing will happen in that time, because, we are unable to be in more than one place at one time."

Dai returns her gaze to the main viewer, after ordering the Badlands be displayed and the sensors set to indicate weapons discharges. So far the display is blank.

Seelnay gathered her thoughts as she walked to Dawn's place… opening the door and she sensed something she hadn't sensed in a long time…

"Hello mother, it's been awhile…"

Sitting with his back to the door sat Donald, her initial response was disbelief, and then as he turned to her he said.

"I'm home to stay, although it looks like I've arrived just in time to witness a war. I only ask one thing at this moment, Cassandra is not to know I'm here and ask no further questions… okay?"

Still taking in the moment Seelnay's silent it's Dawn that says.

"Fine but since you're here your are going to see and hear information that can not leave these walls… if you're comfortable with that I'll keep your little secret… if not I'll have to ask you to leave and seek accommodations else where although the moment you do she'll know you're here."

"Fine sis, I give, you win, and I'll tell you both later why I'm keeping my arrival hush-hush…"

Seelnay arrived at the moment, greeted Donald properly and said.

"You've managed to keep updated concerning the Zon?"

"Yes mother and while you were heading this way I intercepted this between Dai and Command."

She played the message concerning the conversation Dai had with Zachary and continued.

"This looks like it can get ugly real fast, and then throw in Vekk's unarmed transports. I see a blood bath in the making, especially if Minchi's really in charge."

"Has there been any movement since the Zon arrived?"

"The probe Shawn left has picked up communication between the Zon and the Abh… still decoding it but I think Minchi is try to get he Abh to leave peacefully…"

"Fat chance of that happening… Son, we need to communicate with Command and unless you want Cassie to see you I suggest you wait in the other room and stay quiet no matter what you may hear."

Command was a buzz… the Dorian ambassador on Shahrazad was livid, for some unknown reason, he was blaming Cassandra for the present situation. Sari was consulting with him while Noel and Cassandra were trying to raise the Alliance headquarters to…

"I give up… once this is over we go there and clean house, as far as I'm concerned we'll take the action we find appropriate and …"

"Cool down Cassie, you still need to speak with the Dorian ambassador in your present frame of mind…"

"That's right I think they're still an ally if not we can fix that too…"

"Get it out of you system before you approach the console."

Cassandra stares at the ceiling and lets out a silent howl… the only ones in the room that notices are Sari and Noel. Moving towards Sari and motioning her aside she addresses the Dorian ambassador.

"Now my Dear Ambassador what can I do for you?"

"Stop the war that's about to occur, it's your fault this is happening…."

"How is it MY fault…Have you spoken with any of the parties involved like, for instance maybe Zachary, hum?"

"No I haven't I figured that you…"

"You figured wrongly Ambassador, speak with Zachary and I'll take your apology in writing."

With that Cassandra cut the link turned to Sari and said.

"When that fools apology arrives let me know and keep trying… No better idea; bring Erin and Li up to speed have them make contact with the Abh thru their route… normal channels aren't working… message is simple get their people out of there before all hell breaks loose."

Sari leaves Cassie addresses Noel.

"We need Intel… lets contact Dawn, Seelnay should be there by now, they've got to know something… and Eli's almost to the rendezvous… we should hear from them shortly."

A link opens and Dawn appears she informs them that there is a dialog ongoing between the Zon and the Abh. Vekk's transports are scurrying about the Badlands they've retrieved about sixty percent of those requesting to leave… it would seem those who are staying plan on fighting to the end which Seelnay figured will be a short fight. Dawn finished by saying this.

"Long range sensors along the Abh boundaries indicate no alerts, we have no intercepted communications between the Empire and the fleet in the Badlands… it's our opinion they're out there and expendable. I say that based on the fact that the nearest Abh fleet is one days sail at max speed and they are presently moving away from the Badlands. Given Minchi's amassed firepower and unless the Abh have something new and very destructive. We figure Minchi will be victorious by sheer numbers in under two hours from first salvo."

Dawn was on the main viewer which is visible to all in the Command Center. The last part of her message has left the Center in stunned silence. Noel addresses her.

"Can we stop the onslaught once it starts?"

"Honestly even with Pegasus and Illusion fully operational our numbers show… a maybe… our fear is the combatants will turn fire on us, then finish their battle… we're not hopeful… the only hope is Vekk gets those who want out, clear before the shooting starts… Also count the Alliance out, we finally got thru to them and the argument that ensued. It'll take them a week to decide… never mind."

Cassandra moved to Noel's side she asked Dawn how they were receiving data and Command wasn't. Dawn's response was.

"We have a bi-directional data link between Ramaj and us. Ramaj is linked to Defiance and it's linked to the probes, plural, that are scattered about. I probably have as good, if not better, view of the Badlands than the fleet will when it arrives."

"Can we talk to them?"

"You can talk to Ramaj; however Defiance is maxed out on its AI usage to supply the map I'm seeing, which I can share with you on a ten cycle delay."

"Share the map and let me talk to Ramaj."

Dawn is replaced with a detailed map and the audio switches to the bridge feed from Ramaj.

"Command I know you're listening please stand by. Confirm the Abh just went defensive…. Captain confirming the Abh and Zon are raising shields and … looks like the talking is over…

"Vekk warning they just went defensive…"

"I we um we're done I need ten minutes to get clear keep your fingers crossed."

"Command sorry it just got real busy here I need to cut the link…."

The map changes; Abh vessels are shown as orange triangles. Zon as green circles and Vekk's transports as blue crosses, ID tags where available are also shown the command ships from each fleet shown brightly. The transports had scattered leaving the Badlands in any direction opposite those warships. Fifteen minuets after the defensive posture was activated the Abh fired the first salvo.

KO had caught up with the Fleet and they were still minutes from the rendezvous when Dai's sensors indicated the first salvos have been launched.

"KO it's started, I have multiple discharges on my viewer, not sure who fired first, but the fire fight has commenced."

"Eli can you confirm Dai's observation?"

"She can't but I can, I'm feeding you a tactical view with a ten second delay. The markings are standard with Vekk being blue crosses… it looks like the transports made it out before it started and as to who fired first the Abh did and Minchi's pouring it on."

Shawn's data showed there was no escape route for the Abh it was like they were…. Aboard Independence Ariel made a shocking discovery…

"KO, Eli… my long range sensors show the Zon frontier is being attacked in force… I'm now receiving distress signals from the forward observation stations…

Shawn cut in.

"KO half the Zon fleet including Minchi is in retreat, my stars this was a faint the real target was the mining planets along the Zon frontier. The remaining Zon are ripping the Abh apart but…"

The link remained open but only Shawn, Dawn and Plakia were on. The balance of the fleet and Command were on another.

"Look, there is a treaty we need to honor, Marjee stay here, help Shawn and Plakia clean up this mess. The rest of you are with me. Battle ready, plot course to the Zon frontier and execute.

The fleet vanished, Marjee remained she conveyed the conversation to Shawn and Plakia. As she finished the balance of the Zon fleet withdrew. A scan of the area showed the Abh losses were many, not one ship was operational. Shawn found the flagship scanned it and said.

"Raise shields. Scan for life forms and transport all alive to cargo bay one."

Eleven were rescued and the ship self destructed before them… the rest followed suit… suicide, something completely foreign to the Abh. Shawn had questions for those rescued; he made his way to the cargo bay. Opening the door Miranda greeted him angrily.

"Idiot, we were supposed to die… why did you rescue us… we can't go back."

She stopped short, her expression changed and…

"I'm sorry you didn't know how could you have known…"

Turning to the crew in the bay she said…

"Two choices, we die here and now or we ask for asylum from Shahrazad and take our chances. A show of hands if you want to live?"

It was unanimous Miranda turned back to Shawn and said.

"I've died once and lived to tell about it, I'd like the universe to think we all died so we can live out our lives else where, could you grant our wish?"

Although not in a position to grant asylum, Shawn guaranteed they'd be safe on Shahrazad. Med teams examined them as Shawn returned to the bridge. His First Officer greeted him.

"I'll be brief, Captain we are aware of who you are and we also know you've never thrown your weight around to get what you wanted. We heard what transpired in the hold and we are with you. However since we were linked Defiance also heard I can't speak for…"

"That's correct Commander, you can't but I can… Shawn you have my support on this matter. I suggest we clean up the area and plot a course home… shall we turn Marjee loose? I figure KO could use all the fire power she can get."

"A modification to your suggestion, how about I return to home you two clean up and join KO? Dawn are you still linked?"

"I am, your request has been forwarded to Command and approved. Enter orbit above the moon and transport our guest to the Medical Center for evaluation… once that's done as you said KO might need all the fire power she can get."

Ramaj vanished in a flash, Plakia filled Marjee in and a detailed scan of the area was made. No life was found and all ordinances were destroyed; an hour had passed, KO should be reaching the frontier. Before leaving Plakia contacted Cassandra and said.

"It's not my place to intrude but I'd like for you to honor your brother's promises."

"Grandmother you've never steered me wrong and I've already gotten approval from the Council to allow them to stay, after they've been medically screened. Now go, honor the treaty and then come home."

Enroute Shawn invited Miranda to a conference room and the discussion was.

"What happened? Why did you…"

She silenced him and said.

"What I'm about to tell you must remain here for the time being... There's been a purge in the Empire and the hardliners won impressively. My fleet was comprised of those dissenters that would not bend to the new order… we were given ships mostly test vessels, and sent on this mission knowing it would be our last. When you find out who the others are, although you have little knowledge of family structure… I'm sure those on the planet will and well that will be the other surprise… Be patient it will all make sense soon but for now no more questions, okay?"

Shawn agreed and returned Miranda back to the crew quarters where the rest had been moved. Once on the bridge he received a call from planet side. Opening the link Lafiel greeted him and said.

"I understand you have passengers, is someone we know among them?"

"Yes mother, she survived however…"

"She's not injured is she?"

"She's well I'll explain later in person."

The link closed and Shawn let out a sigh. His First Officer just smiled.

Dawn and Donald were conversing when Erin enter the office… her look of astonishment was followed with this.

"It's been quite sometime Donald, I assume you've just arrived."

"I have but I ask that you not mention to anyone I'm here, please."

"As you wish, Dawn I've made contact with the Abh, they, at first ignored my request then the told me it was an internal matter and it had been settled? Just what did they mean?"

"They… sit down and I'll explain."

Dawn laid out the events as of the moment a stunned Erin took it all in and said.

"Why? Why did they sacrifice them to… they were pawns. Decoys, throw away, and there are those who think we are cruel. I'm assuming there are few who know these facts?"

"Correct and the Council needs to know later I thank you for your efforts now if you'll excuse us KO's about to reach the treaty boundaries."

Chitose had scanned the data regarding the boundary and the fleet composition of both sides. KO approached her and asked.

"You're opinion; can the Zon hold their own?"

"Don't think so even though they have numbers the foe has better equipment and training. My honest opinion, even with our help unless there is an error in this data the Zon is going to handed a smashing defeat. KO might I interface with your system, something is bothering me."

"Go ahead, Lyra give her access…"

"I refuse… she's the enemy…"

KO reached for and disabled Lyra's interface then said.

"Leo monitor the interface should…."

"Say no more Captain, I fully understand."

A surprised Chitose took the seat and interfaced with the ship. Reconfiguring one bank of sensors, she scanned the area, and said.

"KO, we're not alone out here, we have company, cloaked company, but company none the less, look at this."

While Chitose was unfamiliar with the energy signature, KO knew who it belonged to and said.

"Orion, open a class one scrambled link to the Dorian Commander and if they refuse tie into this station and put a shot across their bow."

"Link opening on Alliance and Dorian command channels…. they're receiving us, switching to sensor array bringing main disrupters on line targeting and…."

"Stop, hold on, what do you want?"

"Commander is it… those are my questions too, plus, how many strong and your intentions."

"Three divisions at the request of the Zon Ambassador on Doras to aid their fleet… why do I get the feeling you have no idea… Damn that Ambassador and the Alliance Council, one day their half hearted actions are going to get a lot of us killed for nothing. I'm sending you a copy of my orders; I'm assuming we're going to the same place?"

"You are correct, keep your distance and keep undercover… at the moment there seems to be no conflict. The spearhead of our fleet should be arriving at the border shortly… leave this link open."

"Understood and thanks for the warning before you shot at us."

The link goes to stand by KO moves to Orion's interface and…

"Warning Orion, that's so unlike you, mind explaining your deviation from my orders?"

"They scanned as 'friendly' as per your own operational orders we give friends the benefit of the doubt… although another six seconds and…"

"I see open a link to Eli and Command they need to know we have company before the shooting starts."

There had been nervous moments in the Command Center when Illusion showed sighs of going defensive and arming weapons… the link opening brought some relief until…

"I'm presently leading three division of Dorian warships sent to the border by the Alliance at the behest of the Zon Ambassador and through some oversight they forgot to inform us and I damn near …. Cassie I've picked up some fire power but… Eli we're still a half hour or better off what does the border look like?"

The image switches to the bridge of Samson and Eliana says.

"The Abh stopped a half light minute from the border and there seems to be a discussion with in the force… we're monitoring a lot of traffic none of it we have decoded but… Dawn has some of it, but, if I was guessing there seems to be disagreement over what to do next. In the mean time the Zon have formed a defensive line between the border stations and the Abh. We're planning on sitting tight until you arrive with; three divisions of Dorian's… did I hear you correctly?"

The image switches back to KO and…

"There is nothing wrong with your hearing… Cassie you might tell Zachary we found his lost flock and what almost happened to them… then kindly remind him not to place a whole lot of faith in the Alliance on carrying through with anything important… If by the time we get there, nothing has happened, we'll sit it out, but, I want a plan by the time I get there, we'll be working on some details here and compare notes…"

The link goes to stand by… Noel and Arisa, who arrived while the link was open, said.

"Something's not right about any of this… I saw Dawn earlier and Seelnay expressed to me why the Abh would make such a careless move… they know the Alliance would come together to counter… Noel you think this might be a test of our resolve… but why sacrifice an entire battle group… this is becoming a head scratchier… I wonder if any of Shawn's 'guests' know what's going on. We'll know soon they're about an hour from the defensive grid on a most unorthodox course, I must admit."

Noel glanced at the grid position monitor; it was true Shawn was making a direct approach to the planet bypassing all the intermediate check points. She notified planetary defense command to allow the approach. Looking at Arisa she said.

"That's not a cadet mistake, he's been comm. silent since he started his return, yet he's sending identification data… I think we should greet him upon his arrival. Are you up to a little trip?"

Arisa looked at Noel and bluntly said.

"Only if I'm driving… Agreed?"

Unfazed Noel nodded; they notified Cassandra of their intentions and left the Center. Hover platforms, the mode of surface transport, sat waiting at the depot. Ascending the nearest one Arisa said.

"Medical Center, activate and normal speed."

The platform rose and proceeded along the path towards the Center on 'auto'. Normally when Noel was alone she'd use manual control and… the witnesses that saw her compared it to her shuttle antics only much closer to the ground. That was a ride Arisa wanted no part of. The trip was going to take about a half hour and the conversation from with in the Center continued on the platform, its propulsion unit muffling it nicely.

"Why would… they sacrificed an entire division somewhere around six hundred souls… why?"

"Arisa while you're technically Abh, I'm pure bred, to sacrifice ones life for the greater good of all is infused in our beings. Something you 'landers' were not 'privileged' to have and something I feel jealous over. Do you understand now?"

A Sigh followed by a shake of her head was the response Noel got. Noel understood that she'd gotten the message and the conversation ended there, however in Noel's mind a large doubt existed which she was going to satisfy one way or the other.

As Marjee and Plakia left the battle a lone scout appeared it had been in hiding, waiting, making an intensive scan of the area it also left. Once clear of the area it opened a link to the Abh forces at the Zon boarder… Aboard the flagship this was heard.

"Alliance vessels have left the zone they are headed to the frontier, we've done an extensive scan and there were no survivors. The Alliance ships came to the same conclusion. We are returning home suggest you do the same."

As KO approached the boarder the Abh suddenly retreated. Leaving the Zon in complete confusion the open link went active the amount of traffic brought this from KO.

"QUIET!" everybody settle down, scan the area; make sure this isn't a faint meant to leave us unprepared. Dorian forces station your selves between the retreating forces and the Zon… Who ever is command the Zon fleet I know you can hear me, join the conversation before we have another problem."

Illusion's main viewer became active Tara and Minchi appeared and Tara spoke.

"What just happened? I don't understand, do you know?"

"Tara, I have a hunch that I'd like to explore before I answer your question… we'll watch the boarder, send your damaged and wounded home… stay if you like but I have a feeling they're not coming back."

KO's words left the two of them more confused than before, Minchi went to say something and Tara halted her in mid breath.

"We'll wait but you don't have a whole lot of time and I hope you're correct because if they reappear you'll get it before they will."

The link went dark KO left the bridge and returned to her cabin. Opening a secure link to Dawn she said.

"You were privy to my conversation with Tara, correct?"

"Yes, mother and I were glued to it… I'm assuming you going to share your hunch with me. Is that the purpose of this call?"

"Exactly I need you to do a search of that fleet…"

"KO I think there's something you should know, are you alone and is this conversation secure?"

"In my cabin and secure, what's up?"

"I'm surprised you haven't noticed but you're down one of our ships… Shawn's on his way here with survivors from the flag ship… would that help you confirm your hunch?"

KO's face went blank, accessing the fleet overview, Dawn was correct she was short one ship but how… oh yeah she pulled Lyra's plug and forgot to bring her back on line… her expression changed as she admitted her error to Dawn.

"So Lyra refused to let Chitose access the ship? That's interesting… he'll be here in less than an hour plans are he's to transport those people to Medical… Arisa and Noel are waiting do you…?"

"I want to know why they were sacrificed… if my hunch is correct it's not going to set well with the Zon, although it's something they've done in the past…"

"We've been thinking the same thing here… if true, we are wondering, why, for what reason?"

"Hopefully Shawn has the answer, let me know as soon as you know if not I may have an armed conflict on my hands."

"You should be glad Tara's with her if not…"

"True, we'd not be having this conversation if Minchi was in charge."

The link close KO returns to the bridge to find Lyra and Chitose in as close to a shouting match…

"Lyra stop…Who brought her back on line?"

Sheepishly Sarah raised her hand and said.

"Chitose wanted to clear the air about a few things; you're coming in on the backside of the conversation the first part was…"

"I really don't want to know… Lyra, cease the conversation, tie into Samson and give me the fleet composition."

"The fleet presently is five strong excluding this ship plus three divisions of Dorian cruisers. Ramaj is approaching Shahrazad its purpose is unknown the Zon have…."

"Thank you; please monitor the fleet and return to stand by mode."

Lyra returns to stand by and KO faces Sarah motions Chitose to sit next to her and says.

"The incident with Lyra aside, between the three of us; I need your opinion on the following. What in your mind would push the Abh to the point of sacrificing and entire division?"

Chitose knew nothing of the Abh but had vast experience with life and death struggles. While Sarah contemplated KO words Chitose spoke her thoughts.

"On the world I came from, from a military stand point, the only thing would be a group sacrificed, to ensure the balance would survive… if it's political, a purge, however these Abh, do they have issues with executing their own?"

Chitose's words stunned Sarah… they left KO with an expression Sarah had seen many time before.

"You're serious aren't you KO… you think the Abh had the Zon do their dirty work for them… for what purpose if what you're thinking is correct, how are we ever going to tell Minchi's forces.. Wait a second Shawn; has survivors, is that why he's not here?"

KO stared at the main viewer and nodded… a purge was what she was thinking, a purge so large that if the Abh carried it out on their own the Empire might crumble but. If they died in battle well that's explainable as long as everyone is dead… Survivors put a crimp in their plans. KO believes only Plakia, Command and Dawn might be those aware, however if Lafiel finds out the Princess still within her…She feels glad being where she is at this moment.

Arriving at the Medical Center, Noel and Arisa find Saio keeping Lafiel from entering, approaching they hear Lafiel first then Saio say.

"You're going to let me in you can't keep me out."

"As soon as they are cleared you can see them until then I'm asking you stay out."

Not wanting to take NO for an answer she goes to move Saio aside just as an arm grabs her shoulder and she is spun towards…

"Shawn? Let me go."

"Not now mother, we need to talk."

Spying Noel and Arisa he motions them to join him, away from the door and Saio, Shawn address them.

"I'll make this brief, although I believe Noel and Arisa might be aware of this I'm sure you're not mother. Those I rescued have asked for and have been granted asylum… Mother there's been a purge at the Capital… although I don't have all the details I have to insist not only do you keep this information to your selves but until those I rescued are ready refrain from any questioning…"

"Son, explain this purge as you understand it."

"All I know is the hardliners took over and those who disagreed were sent on this mission to the Badlands so the Zon would annihilate them… You can not contact anyone because if you do they'll know there were survivors and they'll come after them… as far as Uncle goes… he's still sitting on the throne… sorry mother I know nothing more."

Lafiel pulls Shawn to her and embraces him, she says to him.

"How is Miranda?"

"Physically they are all well however emotionally… Saio and Jasmine are going to have their hands full. Miranda does not know I've had this conversation with you so when you meet her let her explain, but I knew if I didn't say something the lot of you would scan them, probably indirectly, doing more harm than good and I can't have that."

Arisa was motionless, Shawn move towards her she stopped him and said.

"A very passive scan, he's right, we need to give those in there some space and all the time they need; or we're going to have a disaster on our hands."

Arisa word was accepted Shawn thanked her and escorted Lafiel home. Noel and Arisa found Saio told her Lafiel would not be a problem and asked as soon as Saio had any information to let her know. They left the Medical Center returned to the Command Center where Noel opened a link to KO and…

"I really hate it when your hunches prove out… it was as you thought down to the last detail… I strongly suggest you tell Tara without her sister present… not sure how Minchi would take it… also no mention of our new guest to anyone…"

"I figured the latter already but I was really spot on with the rest? I don't want to know anymore… thanks Noel… Eli, Dai and I will stick around for another day the rest have already departed for home. The Dorian's are staying as well; they'll be helping with the damage to the mining planets."

The link closes and KO gets Tara on a discrete and secure link… She explains her thoughts and although Tara seems stunned she also had come to the same conclusion just not knowing the reasons for it and she never will unless the Abh themselves admit to their doing. A day passes and they depart for home. On the bridge KO and Chitose are conversing.

"KO I sense the… oh you know that I know… this could be a very messy…"

"Yeah I know we've tried for better than a century to steer clear of the Empire's politics. This time how ever the former 'First Princess of the Empire' might be difficult to contain... Should she decide to go off…you have no idea…"

Leaning back in the center seat she relaxed as Chitose did a light scan and said.

"I see a very formidable person… if you need help let me know."

To Be Continued in: Moving Forward

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."