90_The War Ends the Weapons Still Remain

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

90_The War Ends the Weapons Still Remain

Post by Diaho »

The War Ends the Weapons Still Remain

Cassandra forwarded the report to the Council and a hearing was scheduled to discuss its contents. A week later the Council issued it recommendations… it initially recommended that nothing could be done with this caveat.

"It is incumbent on the Command structure to explore any and all incidents concerning discarded weapons and in that vein, take the appropriate action or actions to ensure our continued safety."

An online Command conference was held shortly after receipt of this decision. Those gathered were informed of the contents and the discussion started…

"That's just priceless, I wonder if the Council gave this some thought… Centuries of warfare, in countless systems and most of the time the losers just jettisoned their war machines into deep space, not counting those damaged but not destroyed in battle… you really think the Council gave this any serious thought… you'll be able to find all of these discarded devices and you'll be able to figure out what to do with them… as we, the Council, pass this off to you and wash our hands of it."

Dai's words echoed in the Command Center, Cassandra knew this would be the general reaction to the Councils decision. Although junior, by established standards, Chitose had a wealth of knowledge which she was hesitant to share, however Ariel gently pushed her to say…

"Cleansing this system is possible, how to go beyond, there is history stored in this planet and aboard Pegasus which could give us a direction to look however the question becomes… how many light years, how many systems and say for instance we stumble across another hostile race in our search can we… we can't afford another war not at our present strength, also as an after thought, should we inform the Alliance of what we've discovered, or when we come home with a hostile fleet on our heels and tell them then?"

Chitose words left more questions than answers. Noel and Marjee were in a quiet discussion just out of Cassandra's hearing. Curious, she approached them and heard this from Marjee.

"We have the ability to scan vast sectors of space but as you said, we go snooping about and who knows what interest we might arouse, Noel, you have a valid point about the Empire too... they'll not be too keen on us scanning into their territory, although the most recent conflicts have occurred within their domain… stealth scanning from probes is possible but should someone come across one, determine what it's looking for then…"

Sensing Cassandra was nearby Marjee turned and said.

"What we have is endless and what I mean by that is, the literal needle in a monstrous haystack that, in this case, moves with time… say we find something on a long-range scan, then we have to determine how old what we're seeing is, we're not talking days, weeks, months or years here. We're talking decades, maybe even centuries, and then the time to get there to investigate and find… I kind of agree with Chitose, look locally, send probes to deep space and wait…I mean we can't go back in time and fix this problem but…"

Perplexed was Cassandra's look, moving back to the center of the room, she got everyone's attention and said.

"Suggestions I've heard… the Council thinks it wants a plan, but… get together in groups if necessary, share ideas and within the month we'll have another meeting… for now you're all dismissed."

An afternoon of transplanting, at the nursery, was at hand, the seedlings were ready to be moved to the bed where they would continue to mature before being planted in the fields. Lafiel held a seedling carefully examining it as Sobbash said.

"Set it in the fixture as I showed you ensuring that about four millimeters of the stem is in the solution, we don't want the roots exposed to the atmosphere."

Lafiel placed it as instructed and reached for the next plant, examining this one once again brought this from Sobbash.

"I appreciate you being careful but at this rate it'll take us all day…"

"Sorry Sobbash I'm… realizing just how fragile… they're so fragile now but in a month they'll be hardy enough to place in the soil and…"

"Lafiel, are you feeling well? Is there anything I can…?"

"No Sobbash I'm fine it's just having Scholar bring everything to light all at once… normally throughout life you realize your, I don't want to say mistakes let's use misjudgments… I made some rather serious misjudgments in my life and Jinto's passing brought my frailties to the forefront… Coping with those and his passing… I think you know what I mean…"

Sobbash kept transferring plants as she said.

"Samson's passing was sudden but before we got really together he stressed that even though I was older than he that I would outlive him. However I never thought he'd … we had discussed and planned for me to be without him… He left me notes and videos, I have memories of long talks and I have this garden, well I guess over time it's grown into quite a farm, which I'm sure he's pleased about… Oh that last statement, he firmly believed he would be able to watch over me after his passing... it's something he held dear and I never disagreed about it… Did Jinto have similar beliefs?"

Lafiel was trying to keep up with Sobbash and for a moment felt frustrated then said.

"Something along those lines, to change the subject just a little, have you thought about pairing up again?"

As she continued to place seedlings Sobbash said.

"We did discuss that at one time, he didn't want me to be lonely after he was gone and at that time we weren't planning a family. Then we adopted Saio, the miracle of Robert came along, and then he married Lily, add in the twins, I'm not lonely Lafiel, although there are a couple of persons in the Village that have expressed an interest… I don't know… how about you? Are you going to … silly me it's way too soon to inquire… never mind just ignore the last part."

Lafiel stopped took a long look at Sobbash and said.

"Knowing as much as I do about you, that statement really holds no surprises, in a certain way you and I followed a life path together although our reasons for being there differ greatly, I'm referring to the Star Forces, you were from a predominate family and could have taken many routes in your life. For me the Star Forces was a stepping stone to the 'Jade Throne' a required part of my upbringing, but for you, I never asked till now, but why?"

Reaching for another tray of seedlings Sobbash replied.

"It's true I was considered a 'wealthy' person however I had hit a roadblock in my dreams. My dream was to own and operate my own transport firm. The fastest way to get the education and experience required was the Star Forces. I was well on my way to that dream when I was assigned to your first command… Damn near killed us all, but in you, Jinto, Noel, Samson and Paveryua I found a different purpose. You know at first Samson and I didn't get along… that changed shortly after the aforementioned near death experience. We were on the rehab platform, I was trying very hard to put that incident in the past and Samson showed up… He knew well that being Abh I could drink any Lander under the table yet, he started matching me drink for drink… quite tipsy he admitted his feelings not only about me, but for the rest of the crew, and he always held you and Jinto in the highest regard. Time passed the Hyde fuel depot was a project that we consulted on… then… the Hyde… you know what I'm referring to, it was then Samson and I decided to try to stay as close to both of you as possible and as it worked out, we ended up here with you and the rest as they say is history."

Lafiel was transplanting at a good pace not taking her eyes off the task at hand she said.

"Merchant, that's what I initially wanted to do instead of being in the cut throat environment that I was unwillingly placed in, Jinto knew this and never pushed me to do anything I didn't feel comfortable with... I think he be proud of me advancing my horizons this way but… Sobbash I really do miss him… how long did to take you to get over this feeling?"

Taking the last tray and splitting it with Lafiel she answered.

"Although I knew I'd outlive him, his sudden death came as quite a shock, I think I was more prepared than most but…to this very day I still miss him… it doesn't hurt as much to think about it as it did earlier… Lafiel, take a lesson from my experience; don't bottle it up inside you. It'll only eat away at you and do those around you no good, especially those who love you dearly."

The transplanting was finished and the dusk was fast approaching. Securing the nursery Lafiel and Sobbash returned to her place to continue a conversation that would last till almost dawn.

The dust had finally settled, once Shawn and Plakia spoke to Lafiel, although Shawn understood, Plakia was about to deal with Scholar when Cassandra stepped in and informed her of what Scholar had uncovered within Lafiel. Stunned and feeling at fault for not being the parent in charge, she met with Scholar and explored the event at length. It was a time when Plakia was not available to be with Lafiel and she now held those responsible… Scholar sensed the hostility in Plakia and said rather bluntly.

"You can't be everywhere at once, you had a duty and responsibility, not only to Lafiel but the Star Forces, I can say from my experience you're not the first nor shall you be the last parent to find out, later in life, that something happen to their child. That said Lafiel's was life altering but since she was unsure of you being her mother she didn't confide in you, and the rest of her clan made sure you didn't find out... it's out in the open, she blames no one, she understands and has accepted it, Plakia I really hope you will do the same."

Plakia was prepared for several things; being lectured by Scholar wasn't one of them. Her words rang true and she offered no rebuttal. She thanked Scholar for her efforts and left.

It fell upon Dawn and Kenesh to coordinate the clandestine project labeled 'Hope', the name came from the fervent hope that they would find something of importance and deal with it before anyone else did. A lofty but seeming impossible goal yet a plan of execution was being discussed and refined. Downsized twice they were ready to present it to Cassandra. Reviewing the outline Kenesh said.

"It's amazing just how many contributed to this effort and I believe we've filtered out the most extreme and rather outlandish ideas yet we didn't ignore the concepts presented I think…?"

Kenesh paused and as she thought Dawn commented.

"I think we've made an obtainable plan and my only concern is the Suran, while they are our allies they are also very independent. This scenario bothers me… they find something, or we send them to investigate something, and what they find, instead of completely salvaging, they either keep to themselves or sell to the highest bidder… is it possible, maybe depending on what it is… that said we, this planet, don't have the resources to do it on our own, and we're just talking about a fifty light year in circumference section of the galaxy… a small drop in an endless pool… I don't know Kenesh; do you think we're wasting our time??"

Kenesh had listened to Dawn and was about to speak when from another room this was heard.

"The Suran's, are trustworthy, to a point, in my dealings with them, like any other race they have those who's… um ambitions, can outweigh their common sense. On the whole I'd trust them further than most in the Alliance and not to point fingers but compared to say, the Zon, Suran's be saints."

Seelnay and Greta had entered Dawn's office and had picked up on most of the conversation, it was Seelnay who responded. Greta also put in a comment as well.

"If you're using the grid layout we developed, it was designed to allow one of our warships to be close, so your scenario, shouldn't play out, however that said you have made a valid point, maybe we should put some of our people on each Suran ship? Somehow I think that isn't going to fly…"

Discussions and conversation had been going in circles as of late and Kenesh was about at her wits end. This most recent observation, while it wouldn't scrap the plan, it would seem an alteration might be in order. Picking up a data pad she scheduled a meeting of all concerned for early the next morning. That completed she said.

"Ten hundred hours, tomorrow, at the usual place, be there and be ready to explain and or defend your thoughts. I want an outline in Cassandra's hands by weeks end… we've wasted, at least I feel, enough time on this… planning a major attack during the last war took less time… but those are my feelings… and the battles, at least we had a general idea where our opponents were… this time… not so much."

Gardening had become a hobby Lafiel was enjoying; to the extent she had planted a garden close to the Residence. This morning while tending to it she heard approaching footsteps and...

"Um your… ah um Lafiel are you busy?"

Knowing the voice she continued her task and answered.

"Kufadis, I heard you were here, I was planning to find you, seems you've beat me to it. I sense you wish to communicate with me, if you'll give me a moment I'm almost done."

Lafiel finished pulling the last few grass plants and one rather large weed from the garden. Standing and facing a stunned Kufadis she continued.

"Titles of privilege have no meaning on this world, at least the titles that refer to me. I have questions; I figure you have a few as well. Now who shall go first?"

Seeing Lafiel not dressed as an officer or member of royalty set Kufadis back although he had been warned by several sources the fastest way to get on Lafiel's bad side was to bring up that part of her past. Taking in this present view he said.

"Have you got somewhere we could sit? It's quite the walk and I'm still getting use to the gravity of this world."

Leading Kufadis to the alcove behind the Residence there were a table and chairs. Taking a seat for herself Kufadis sat across from her and…

"First off let me extend my condolences…"

Lafiel stopped him and said.

"Thank you, but if you're here to express a multitude of emotions I'm cutting this conversation short."

Kufadis watched Lafiel as she made that statement and decided there was information he felt he needed to share and started by saying.

"Very well Lafiel, I understand, I have information I'd like to share if you want to hear it and I also sense you have questions which, if I am able, I'll answer to the best of my ability."

A discussion started with Lafiel asking Kufadis what he knew about the current state of the Empire. He gave her a brief outline. Taking that in; her questions got specific.

"If you can tell me about, my brother, my father and… what ever else you feel comfortable about."

Giving careful thought to what he was going to say he answered in this way.

"Last I heard you brother was safe, supposedly still on the throne… Your father, his fleet mutinied, roughly two thirds of it left and returned to the Capital… he took the balance and they patrol the Hyde system, on that subject there is something I need to tell you."

A wave of relief came across Lafiel's face as Kufadis spoke however once the subject of Hyde was broached… her demeanor changed although a taboo subject she wanted to know.

"You know how I feel about the Hyde system and it's… people… you may start telling me, if I raise my hand you can stop."

Accepting her conditions Kufadis took a moment to order what he wanted to say and began.

"Upon arriving at Hyde, your father was… invited to meet with the local government… in an exchange I monitored before I was forced to leave… he was informed that, if possible, could he extend their regret to Jinto over what the previous government had done…"

Lafiel's face grew red, Kufadis stopped before being asked to, and then Lafiel said.

"You may continue."

Taking a moment to let her relax a bit more he continued.

"They have no knowledge of Jinto's passing, and I feel that they should be told… yet… how to do it escapes me. also there is a bit more, please take this as I say it and try not to infer any more than what was expressed…. the government of Hyde revoked the edict which concerned you and he… according to their statement you are welcome at any time…"

Lafiel's hand shot straight up. A cold look came across her face as she said.

"After what they did, after the sorrow they caused, so it took them this long to realize what kind of insensitive asses they were… no… I'm glad he's gone, this information coupled with our present inability to get to Hyde… I watched him go through that before… Kufadis you've skillfully tiptoed around a subject that I and several others are interested in and which I believe you know more than you're willing to tell… just what the hell happened to Painiach?"

What he had dreaded most Lafiel had just opened up to the light of day… it was time. At least Lafiel might understand. There was one would probably wouldn't. Clearing his throat he said.

"Hardliners came in the middle of the night and exacted a bloody revenge… I know most of her family was caught off guard… I was told she and she alone managed to get away, to where I do not know…they seized their records and that's when a warrant for my arrest… no execution, was issued I stole a shuttle… found one of your transports and you know the rest."

Lafiel had feared something like this had occurred, this also meant Kufadis has been avoiding Jasmine… Spoor is a scraper, a survivor… Lafiel was sure she'd turn up somewhere. As for Jasmine though… if those records contained her birthright… there could be problems in the future… would a hit squad come here to get her, probably not but that also meant she'd be quarantined to this world till things blew up or over. Away from here she'd have no protection… Lafiel looked at Kufadis, although a bit pale, he seemed relieved, she then finished with this.

"You like many others on this world are a 'ghost' and will probably stay that way till you leave this realm… you need to make peace and tell Jasmine everything you know or you're going to spend the rest of your days running from or avoiding her and although it’s a big planet it's a small world we occupy upon it."

Ghost, Lafiel had used the proper word, Kufadis wished at this very moment he was one but, Jasmine, he had to tell her… because Lafiel was right.

"You're correct, not today though, I'd also like some moral support when I do it… think you can arrange that?"

Lafiel was about to answer when she heard this…

"If she can't I can."

Sobbash was standing on the walkway. Lafiel was late and her concern brought her to the Residence. Overhearing most of the conversation she waited for a chance to make her presence known then continued.

"You had me worried, you've been late before but never this late, and Kufadis, I can have Saio assist you. Just to let you know I did overhear most of what was said, from planet Hyde forward."

Kufadis accepted Sobbash's offer of help and said tomorrow would be better, with that he left… Sobbash took the chair Kufadis had been in sat down faced Lafiel and asked.

"You look okay, are you okay?"

Lafiel nodded and said.

"Pretty much so, I know father is safe and my brother, who knows, although if something had happened, even out here in the boonies, we'd know about it. Spoor's family, I wonder how many other's met the same fate? Do I need to help you…?"

Sobbash indicated that wouldn't be necessary and suggested they go into the Village for a meal by saying.

"Up on the hill, the smell from the Village was so tempting… I do believe we should investigate it, don't you think?"

Not saying a word Lafiel secured the Residence and was last seen with Sobbash heading to the Village.

The plan was agreed to with the addition of monitors for any Suran expeditions, to be classified as technical consultants. This meant those sent had to have knowledge of what was found, and the ability to judge if the proper actions were being taken... Forwarded to Cassandra, after her review and approval, it made its way to the Council for an uncertain future. Relieved, Kenesh was spotted in the Village enjoying a repast with those involved in producing the plan. It was there Erin found her and asked to join in, after a small pause she was invited to join… as the meal progressed she said to Kenesh in a voice most others could hear.

"I applaud your effort, however, I feel the Council will see it as a first step in a larger plan, which I know its not… so be prepared to defend your plan and be ready to explain why it shouldn't be implemented on a larger scale."

Erin finished her drink and excused herself. Once she was gone those gathered discussed her words and …

"Well that was… annoying as hell… I do believe that was a thinly veiled warning do you all agree?"

Kenesh was still fuming as she had just uttered that sentence… the view around the room said it all… disbelief and a bit of disgust… the repast ended the group separated. On the way to her office Dawn along with Seelnay and Arisa shared mixed looks between themselves. Entering the building and making their way to the rear Seelnay finally spoke.

"Why am I NOT surprised, that damn Council always want a miracle… nonsense… at least Erin warned us so we wouldn't be blindsides but… that project is bigger than it needs to be and they now want it all… I have a headache, I'm going to lie down, do not disturb me."

Finding Cassandra proved to take longer than Dawn anticipated. Once the link was established, Dawn relayed to Cassandra Erin's comment. A moment of silence followed then a sigh was all Dawn heard. The link ended, Kenesh, who was in the room as Dawn informed Cassandra said.

"A sigh and nothing more… I wonder how red faced Cassie is about now… you know when it comes to being angry she is her mother's daughter. I pity the Council…"

Dawn shook her head kicked back from her desk and went outside, with Kenesh behind her. Taking the view around her she said.

"You know it needs to end… this endless insanity we've experienced over the past few years… it needs to end. We NEED a respite, sometime to recover or we are going to make a mistake of galactic proportions and… face it we're all over worked and are beginning to NOT think straight and… Kenesh could you leave me for awhile… I'd like to be alone."

Kenesh excused herself and as she was leaving she took note of Dawn's general appearance, her eyes cast skyward and a blank expression on her face told Kenesh everything she needed to know. She'd seen fatigue like this before and if it wasn't stemmed the command structure was going to be in… very serious trouble.

Sights and smells of the Village had become a part of daily life. There were times when one saw or smelled something out of the ordinary, today was one of those days. Gently wafting in the air was a scent of something not only delicious but intriguing to the senses. A popular restaurant on the edge of the Village was the source and the line that extended almost around the building told Lafiel and Sobbash they'd found their target. The line was moving along and within twenty minutes they were seated outside. It was a mild, sunny day, the temperature, quite comfortable and the gentle breeze that had carried the smell was appropriate for the conditions. As they ordered the meal, Sobbash noticed Kenesh being shown to another table. Getting the waiters attention she had them bring Kenesh to their table and said.

"Haven't seen you in awhile, would you mind joining us?"

The thought of eating alone hadn't appealed to Kenesh, but this company, she would have to temper her thoughts and speech. She was unsure of what they knew about her recent assignment. Kenesh ordered her meal and as they waited the conversation turned first to farming then Lafiel said...

"While I feel that the current climate is uncertain, I wonder how scouring the Galaxy for leftover weapons will solve anything."

Lafiel statement caught Kenesh off guard she looked at Sobbash who had a neutral look on her face. This subject, how did they know about it, unless either Cassie or the Council had paid them a visit? Lafiel took note of Kenesh's perplexed look and continued.

"You know it's not the first time this subject has been explored, after the 'dreadnaught' scare an effort was initiated to seek out and dispose of, the discarded weapons of war. At the time it met with a lot of resistance and got tabled… looks like someone cleaned the table and found it once again."

Kenesh was still confused, Lafiel stated the obvious, but how did she and Sobbash get wind of this, Cassandra's direct orders were to keep Lafiel and by proxy Sobbash out of the loop, unless… Lafiel was on a fishing trip and…

"Kenesh, Erin and Li stopped by the gardens recently and we had an interesting discussion, your hesitance in answering has confirmed everything they said. Count us out; I'm becoming quite the farmer and indirectly the merchant. At this time I'm quite satisfied. I guess the only thing we would like to know is if you come across an active threat to this part of the Galaxy."

The meal was served and consumed, as she finished, Kenesh said

"I'll let you know if we find an 'active' threat… I ask that you two keep this meeting…"

"From Cassandra, okay we can do that… so I wasn't supposed to know… I commend her for keeping her charges in line; however the Council has always operated on a different sense of priorities… Relax Kenesh, we're all friends here, we are, aren't we? Sobbash and I will do our daily duties and you go protect the … you've heard the rest before… thank you for the company and stop by anytime, you're always welcomed."

Kenesh rose and departed slowly; Sobbash looked at Lafiel and said.

"That was, interesting, I thought you were going to keep the information a bit closer…"

"Sobbash, as much as I want to trust Erin and Li, the Councils past performance has… you understand. Looks like I got most of it and like I said to Kenesh, tell us if it's going to affect our daily routines. I'm not interested in their search for… those baby beets, how soon should they be transplanted?"

The sudden change of topic brought a slight smile to Sobbash, as she had gathered Lafiel's interest had shifted from trying to save the universe, to a more realistic vein… She answered that in a couple of days the beets would be ready for transplant. Finishing their meal, they were last seen leaving the Village and returning to the farm.

Seelnay was awake, her headache gone… she found Dawn out back a very far away look on her face… A message from Arisa stated she had returned to her quarters… a scent reached her nose, nudging Dawn they went searching for the source and came across Kenesh. Kenesh informed them that Lafiel was aware of the plan but not the details to which Seelnay said.

"Council interference, not surprised, what was her outlook on things?"

Kenesh took a moment and said.

"Unless it was a direct threat to their daily lives neither she nor Sobbash wanted to know about it, in fact the subject of baby beets was more important."

Dawn nodded, Seelnay smiled. Kenesh pointed them to the source of the scent and was on her way. At their meal a mother, daughter conversations occurred… an agreement was made that they both would take time away from the present 'crisis' and relax… With Seelnay saying this.

"We're at our wits end and if we keep going at the present rate… we don't need to be at each others throats over a problem we have little control over… Mountain out of a mole hill is the phrase I once heard. I had to look it up and the definition fits our present situation to a tee."

They took the long way back to the office stopping often to take in the scenery. Once back they avoided the office itself and found solace out back on the deck.

Time passed, numerous probes were deployed. A dozen possible 'hot spots' were explored and some artifacts of previous conflicts were found, however what was found could never be of any practical use. They were none the less cataloged and destroyed. Aboard Independence Ariel was completing a sweep when Chitose said.

"I've got an active energy signature, about two lights minutes ahead, its slow moving, their course indicates it might be looking for something. I'm moving sensor output to the main viewer."

The track appeared and as Chitose said it seems to be doing a grid style search of an area. The area, according to the map was semi open space numerous scattered gas cloud and the remnants of an asteroid belt. Ariel took in the course and commented.

"Whatever it is, it's looking for something, helm plot a course, let's passively scan the area and see what is out there. Bring us to alert status, deflectors to max and cloak engaged after the scan…"

Scan was made; results were being processed, as Ariel orders the ship to be move away from their present position, Chitose said.

"Seems our scan was detected, the target has stopped dead and …"

"Shields to max bring us to defensive, helm move us towards the target." Ariel interjected.

Their target was stopped dead, as Ariel slowly approached a visual of what lay before them was captured. The image on the main viewer brought this from Chitose.

"That's an Abh vessel isn't it… what are they doing out here?"

Before Ariel could answer communications officer said.

"Captain we're being hailed on an old common frequency."

"How old, do you have an identification tag?" Ariel asked.

"No tag Captain, frequency was used during the four planets conflict? We're being hailed again."

"We'll do audio only, establish the link."

The link had static in it, a female voice was heard, and she said.

"Who ever you are, we're in open space on an exploration mission and require no assistance. Would you kindly reply and identify yourselves?"

Ariel stood motionless, even with the static she was sure she'd heard that voice before but where? She looked at Chitose and said.

"Have the computer do a voice match, how well armed are they?"

"Analysis in progress and from what I see they pose no threat to this ship in fact with laser cannons we could probably …"

Ariel was ready to answer when.

"You, over there, are you deaf, would you kindly answer me."

Link opened and in her best Abh, Ariel said.

"We can hear you, we understand what you've said… we mean you no harm… you peaked our curiosity that's all."

Silence followed then…

"Captain they just jumped, I'm plotting their course now."

A course appeared, helm plotted it and Ariel checked the intended arrival area for Shahrazad ships, Defiance was close and a message was sent to intercept their curious guest.

"Helm track them down… anything on the voice print?"

"Nothing yet… our target just altered course they're heading towards Defiance."

"Open a link to Defiance."

A link opened Plakia's image filled the main viewer and she said.

"The rabbit is heading towards the dogs and not away… Ariel what did you find?"

"I'm sending you what we have along with a voice record… they'll get to you before we do."

"Receiving the package I'll let you know what happens when they arrive."

The link closed, aboard Defiance Plakia was reviewing the package and….

"Play the audio again and I want quiet on the bridge."

The audio played, a strange look came across Plakia's face as she said.

"Open a link using the frequency indicated in the package… visual and audio."

Aboard Independence, Ariel was monitoring communication when this message was seen and heard.

"Hello old friend, why don't you slow down, save some fuel and we'll talk."

A fuzzy image came into view as it cleared Ariel took note and said.

"Umm I knew I knew that voice, this should prove interesting."

From the approaching vessel this was heard.

"I'll be, for someone who should be dead you look quite well."

Plakia answered.

"It would seem I found a ghost as well. We mean you no harm however… you'll need to be our 'guest' for a while. My scan indicates that you're alone on the automated ship. Is that correct?"

From the other ship this was heard.

"Guest, I don't mind however I do have some conditions… if you are who you appear to be; you probably know what they are."

Plakia said

"I'm willing to listen, if you're willing to stop and be boarded."

The answer was

"Like I have little choice, I'll welcome your visit."

That link closed, Plakia communicated to Ariel.

"Unless you're blind you know who we've found… I believe she wants knowledge of her existence to be very limited, so I'm imploring you to return to you patrol and let me handle this. Also keep what you've seen and heard secret… please."

The link closed, Ariel reduced speed canceled the ship's alert status and said.

"Plot a course back to where we found that ship, they were looking for something. Let's see if we can find it for them."

Plakia, her First Officer and the security chief went aboard the vessel. Approaching what resembled the bridge this was heard.

"Not only are you not dead, but you seem to appear much younger than I, even thou we were about the same age... Care to explain that to me?"

Turning toward the sound of the voice Plakia said.

"First off, how should I address you; Admiral, Baroness, maybe…"

"Plakia my dear why don't you use my given name… Painiach… those other titles, screw them and the …"

Painiach stopped… Plakia picked up from there.

"Well that answers many questions… are you seeking asylum, or looking for support?"

"I'll explain after I've spoken with the Count…"

"Not possible…"

"Why not, you afraid I'll upset him… I have changed, I no longer…."

"Painiach, Jinto is dead."

A stunned looked came over her, she locked eyes with Plakia studied her carefully and continued.

"I'll not ask how, but, will the Princess speak to me?"

"Painiach, you and my daughter have one thing in common, you despise titles, and if you were to address her like that you might get to see the inside of our brig. I suggest you come aboard we'll bring this ship with us but… Lafiel's had a hard go of it… let me talk to her first… understand."

"I understand I for one have lost most of those I hold dear and very recently. Very well, we'll do it your way and I'll not ask why you are among the living if you'll not pry into my reasons for being here."

Placing a tow beam on Painiach's; ship, Plakia brought them home to an uncertain future, or at least that was her thinking on it.

To Be Continued in: Meanwhile on the Other Side of the Galaxy

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."