94_Interference and the Balance of Power Conclusion

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

94_Interference and the Balance of Power Conclusion

Post by Diaho »

Interference and the Balance of Power Conclusion

As the link closed, the forward sensors picked up a massive debris field, slowing and sorting out the images Chitose said.

"Artificial material intertwined with planetary debris, I think we just stumble upon a battle field, and a recent one at that. I'm running the results through the system we'll have an answer in… Ariel, look at this."

Ariel approaches Chitose's station; the display says, one hundred and thirty two hours till task competition. Ariel opens a link to Eliana, explains the current situation, from her perspective and asks.

"KO wouldn't happen to be operational; we could use Illusion's systems about now."

Before Eliana could answer, this was heard.

"I'll be there within the hour. Move a half light second from the debris field and stay motionless."

KO who was trailing Eliana disappeared in a blinding flash. Command was notified of what Eliana knew, with this response.

"Keep us updated, right now the Zon home world is our prime concern it's getting quite ugly there. Just so you know there has been nothing said about responsibility for the blast. Dead number in the thousands, I hope Nadia and Mir come up with some answers and soon."

A heighten alert was in effect around Shahrazad when the defensive grid indicated an unknown warship was slowly approaching the outer perimeter. Noel was monitoring the grid channels when the report was made. Intercepting the link she asked?

"Outpost five what do you see?"

A visual link of the ship appeared, it was definitely a battleship of unknown origin, she was about to order the platforms to go defensive when.

"It's motionless just at the edge of the grid, scans show very little power being generated and this is being flashed from a beacon on the bow."

The image shifts to the front of the ship; Noel observes the pulses of light, something familiar about that sequence then….

"Hold your fire; I do believe they're telling us they mean no harm, however if anything changes, defend yourself."

Opening several universal links she gets a response from the ship. As she suspected they wanted asylum and had information they felt of great importance. Informing Cassie of their visitor, Noel rounded up a detail and headed to space to have a first hand look at this urgent information. Noel, leaving with a fully armed detail, piqued Seelnay's curiosity. Wondering into Command she was told where Noel was headed, taking note of the vessel on the viewer she headed to Kenesh's showed her the image and said.

"It's at the defensive grid asking for asylum, says it has important information aboard. Noel's on her way with a detail, I know you know what that ship is and Noel is going to find out soon herself."

Kenesh took in the image; she's come across that class of ship before… her expression changes, facing Seelnay she says.

"Are you implying they know something about… if they're even remotely involved… you realize… that's why you're here isn't it to confirm… Noel needs to be stopped before she leaves …"

Opening a link she has the shuttle wait and informs Noel she IS joining them. The message is received and as Kenesh gathers a few items Seelnay says

"No argument I'm coming with you, I can be objective, better than you or Noel can if we're right."

Aboard the shuttle Noel is reviewing the information from the outpost when Seelnay and Kenesh arrive. Handing the data to Kenesh she inquires.

"This must be important if the two of you are coming with me, mind telling me what's up?"

Looking over the data Kenesh said.

"You joined the Star Forces about the same time as Lafiel, so you wouldn't have come across…"

Handing Seelnay the pad she continued.

"Keep an open mind and control your emotions. That's all I'll say for now. Chief we're ready to launch."

The shuttle launched and there are plans formulated for docking with the warship.

After her interactions with Painiach, Scholar had returned to Pegasus to review the data from her exploration excursion. She was aware of the current climate that was occurring, but had refrained from saying anything until asked. The ship asking for asylum was on the main viewer, it had been observed since it was picked up on long range sensors. Turning to the ship's AI interface she said.

"You've finished the scan of our 'visitor'?"

"Affirmative, it would seem your original observation is correct. Its origin is Imperial in design but not in construction. There are differences in material and propulsion that a lay person would be hard pressed to determine. I'm still searching for the region of origin, but the scan shows those aboard are not descendants of the Abh, I am one hundred percent certain of that."

"I see. It looks like a welcoming committee from the surface has arrived. Monitor the situation, in fact, go to alert status, they look harmless yet…"

"I concur, Scholar, harmless and armed to the teeth. Passive targeting locked on, shields on automatic. They think about being hostile…"

"Only fire if we're fired upon and only to disable not destroy… Understood?"

"Understood Scholar."

On the surface Command takes note of Pegasus actions and informs Noel before she enters the ship.

"Scholar's gone to passive mode, I wonder … thanks Sari at least I know we're not up here alone."

Turning to Kenesh, Noel says.

"Scholar's has come to a conclusion about the present situation, and is a hair trigger from opening up on our visitor. Now, why are you and Seelnay here?"

Kenesh looks towards Seelnay, and she says "Tell her." turning to Noel, Kenesh says.

"That ship is of Imperial design; it will depend on the crew if it truly is…" Noel interrupts.

"The, 'I've never seen it'… so that answers the statement about my time in service, you're saying it’s a older design and you're hoping it's a copy and not an original… or more to the point, it better not be crewed by Abh?"

"You've put two and two together quite nicely; shall we see what's on the other side of that interlock?"

Handing Kenesh and Seelnay side arms Noel said.

"Hopefully one day we'll be able to board a ship and not be armed… thou I guess today is not that day"

KO arrives deploys Leo, Orion and Lyra and starts a detailed scan of the area. Ariel and Marjee established data links and send everything they had acquired to KO. Time passed and finally… KO said.

"No doubt about, comparing what's here, and with what Ariel and Marjee has supplied, those ships were part of the battle that occurred here. I also believe they were trailing another group of ships that ambushed them, and … here's where it gets interesting... it would seem the attackers somehow launched planetary material instead of convention weapons to inflict the damage that Marjee is observing. What concerns me is… where are the other participants, and I also believe the damaged fleet inflicted no damage to the attackers... granted energy signatures are mixed but what we've determined they belong to the fleet that was attacked. Conclusion, we're not alone out here."

The link goes silent for a moment and then Chitose asks.

"If the only signatures you've come across do belong to the fleet Marjee was observing then, either their attackers are very close by, or their ships use the same kind of propulsion, which would explain a similar signature, don't you agree?"

On the bridge Chitose comment annoys KO; she had passively scanned, should Chitose be correct…

"Orion, Leo, launch a detailed scan of the area avoiding where our ships are. If there is something out there hiding let's wake them up."

Objection came fast and furious as Sarah said.

"Belay that order, KO what are you thinking? If what we discovered is true, can we defend against chunks of matter being hurled at us?"

Facing Lyra's interface KO says.

"Lyra, display the probability chart and explain it."

The main viewer displays two charts; one shows a unitized ship the other shows it as independent ships. Lyra proceeds to explain.

"Commander I understand your concern and if we were acting as a unitized vessel we wouldn't stand a chance. As individuals we can effectively cover each other incase of attack from numerous directions."

The refit had given each part of the ship advanced autonomy; they were now capable of independent and coordinated action. The thought of trusting her life to an unproven upgrade, yet KO seemed determine to test it in real combat… She voiced her objection again with this caveat.

"So we should survive, how about the rest of the ships… although they are our latest versions; this ship with half of the systems disabled will still out perform …"

KO's expression changed, that alone halted Sarah, then observing the main tactical display she inquired of Lyra.

"You heard her, is there any possibility that…"

"The balance of the fleet would not survive, affirmative Captain, while we can defend ourselves we can not guarantee the safety of the others."

KO sat back in the seat, stared at tactical and said.

"Objection accepted. Do you have a different course of action?"

Sarah sat looking at tactical and in a disjointed conversation with her self mumbled.

'Normally we would contact them and ask if the needed assistance, that's not going to work, they could be hostile, given they've just been attacked they might feel we were responsible, can't have that. Observation, lets watch for a while, yeah that might work.'

"I suggest we watch and wait… they might find, or trigger a response from those who attacked…"

Her words still echoed as alarms sounded, an energy wave was inbound and Illusion sat directly in its path.

"Shields at maximum, engineering, get us out of here, the rest of you scatter NOW."

Illusion managed to get clear, just barely, as the attack targeted those being observed. Ariel, Marjee and Shawn were well clear and had a ringside seat for the total annihilation of the ships they were observing. KO had a target, plotted an intercept course, and said.

"That was too close, I'm going to investigate. The rest of you look for survivors. If I need help I'll let you know."

Illusion left the area, aboard, KO was in consultation with the ship.

"What was that and can we defend against it?"

"What it was… still complying data... defend against it questionable, we were dealt a glancing blow, while it did little damage… the following is only theory… while highly concentrated it was of short duration. Is it a one shot and recover weapon and was it at full power. We could absorb one discharge, multi discharges or one at a higher setting, unknown… it is our opinion should we find them, we shoot first and ask questions later, if, there is anything left."

KO was contemplating the information given when… Sarah interjected this.

"I've been monitoring the rest of the fleet, they've found debris so far, but as the attack was inbound, Marjee made a full power sweep of the area and has some information about what was there."

Images appeared on the main viewer as Sarah continued

"Some of the vessels look to be of the same types that were commandeered over the past ten cycles. The warships while images are unmistakable the types and origin are unknown or at least they are not in our database. Marjee has forwarded her scan to command with the notation it be forwarded to Scholar. The last part I don't quite understand?"

KO moved towards Sarah observed what was on her display and said.

"That question I can answer, Scholar, through Pegasus, has an exhaustive ship inventory which would overload our databases. If Pegasus does not know, then they were either very ancient, or very new. Either way they were ill equipped to handle what they were attacked by."

With that the ships AI interrupted.

"Target lost, believe it jumped or… there are no active Sords in the area, estimating ten minutes to last known position."

"Approach the area with caution and at the slightest disturbance; evade without command input."

"Understood Captain slowing, going defensive and starting an intensive scan."

The interlock connection was stable and the hatch leading to the warship opened. A dimly lit corridor greeted them. Seelnay took the lead with the detail behind her. Following the light and sounds emitting from ahead, the corridor merged with a large room. Several women dressed in casual uniforms awaited them. Once Seelnay entered, this was heard from the woman closest to the corridor.

"We mean you no harm, we are here asking for asylum and offering the contents of this ship for your inspection."

The rest entered the room, Kenesh took note of the woman speaking and… She was of medium build, a skin color of reddish brown with stoic features and flowing black hair. Kenesh had never seen, it was then Noel said.

"I can approve your request under the following condition, an explanation and this data you feel is important. I guarantee if you and your crew co operate we have accommodations on the surface for you. Since you've made no action against this planet you'll be detained until your story can be verified, however if you've…"

The woman momentary glared at Noel then said.

"While we didn't commit the atrocity on the Zon home world, we knew about, although post occurrence, and were unable stop it … you'll find everything in our records, they will speak for them selves."

Kenesh, Noel and Seelnay stood quiet; it was Kenesh that spoke…

"Should I address you as Captain?"

The woman shook her head, pointing to an empty seat she said.

"I'm the first officer our Captain sacrificed themselves so we might escape. As I said it will be much easier to view our records than having me try to explain everything."

Kenesh had a follow up inquiry.

"What is the origin of this ship?"

Slightly annoyed the woman took a moment and replied.

"Renovated salvage, most of the independents have reclaimed vessels left adrift, rehabbed them and used them till they outlived their usefulness. This ship was a recent acquisition; its history is stored in the data banks."

A transport was order from space dock, the crew of the warship transferred to the surface. A Suran crew placed the ship in a secure dock and started accessing the data it contained. Kenesh returned to the surface opened a link to Scholar and uploaded the images of the thirty two taken from the warship with this question.

"Have you encountered these beings before? Your prompt answer would be appreciated."

The information arrived; Scholar placed the images on the main viewer and started to comment.

"Descendants of, indigenous North and South American continent dwellers, Asian races, European, and African… Pegasus, verify my thinking and check the records for any sign of an expedition launched from the Sol system containing those races or from any known outpost."

"As you requested Scholar, I've run a prelimary comparison of those images against the database and you are correct. The second part of your request will take sometime. While we gathered much information on our expedition, we already know some of it was… um… fabricated to confuse or impress. I'll let you know when I've got a list. Also those images from the fleet are they still priority?"

Scholar answered in the affirmative and forwarded what she had to Kenesh with this suggestion.

"I know as part of their processing, the crew will receive a medical exam… take DNA samples too, and forward the results to me."

Receiving Scholar's message Kenesh notified medical of the request, Jasmine has already taken the samples and was compiling a report which she indicated, and Scholar was going to get a copy of.

The Suran's were working at getting the ships database downloaded and cataloged. Noel's report was not setting well with Cassandra, it was the part that… 'They knew about the Zon attack and didn't stop it' … She decided before jumping to conclusions she needed more facts and once that was in hand she'd contact Nadia directly. The latest report from Zon said the contamination was contained and the area was being neutralized, what ever that meant.

On Zon, the extent of the attack was being realized by the populace. Although organized protest were forbidden, on media outlets an opinion was being formed, that opinion was supposed to be based on the 'best information available'" it will be later proved that it was about seventy - five percent accurate. The twenty - five percent was so wrong and explosive in nature that a riot would have occurred. It was only the calm headed elders still in government that kept the lid on until more and verified information was received.

The unrest at home had made its way to the Zon Ambassador through an unlikely source. A member of the badlands delegation approached her, deliver the information she had and left. Contacting the home world Mir confirmed most of what was told the Ambassador with this final word.

"Looks like it was an external attack, there doesn't seem to be any connection to known groups, with that said this planet has many enemies that we've just discovered. During the past century the Zon were ruthless and now I believe it's come home to roost… quoting the old saying."

The link closed, the Ambassador felt uncertain, sitting at a table adjacent to the main dining hall she was contemplating Mir's words. Here is where the Suran Ambassador found her. She invited him to have a seat and then…

"Have you heard rumors about who was responsible for the attack…? I was approached by an individual who …have you heard anything I should know about."

This placed the Suran in a delicate spot, he had recently been informed about the ship at Shahrazad, but he knew just enough to be… he'd be quiet and let her tell him what she knew. he was certain only a few knew of the ship and the information it was supposed to contain, which at this moment has yet to be verified… nope his silence will stay, he'll listen to what she says and… see where it goes from there.

"Not heard much but I've been in a meeting with my government, what have you heard?"

She told him everything she had heard and what her government had said. It was partially accurate but missing a lot of things he knew about but at the moment couldn't express. Formulating an answer he said.

"That's an interesting opinion you heard, but as you said they had few facts to back up their claim. The only part I feel was factual was what your government told you… Minchi was ruthless and Tara went along… with your world being a closed society until recently I'm sure there are many more surprises um revelations to come."

She thanked him and he excused himself. As he walked he pondered her words. Revenge for an incident, that was a lot of help, what kind of incident, what planet, what outcome, no details, a rumor, and yet there was a ship sitting at Shahrazad supposedly containing, information, evidence … it was boggling his mind, he put it aside for the moment and concentrated on the meeting he had with his government… he was to inform the Council that the Suran government was offering an aid package of immense proportions to the Zon.

Pegasus had identified the vast majority of the ships Marjee had scanned before they were destroyed. The secondary viewer on the bridge became active as Scholar move her gaze from the main viewer, images were displayed and matching identification files were highlighted. Once the presentation played through Scholar said.

"Forward it to Command and to Marjee… you have an analysis of those vessels?"

"Some images were clear enough to verify history, the rest are outline matches. Everything scanned that was identifiable was either reported disabled, lost or stolen in the past fifty years. Since it was a single pass detailed scan I can point out some repairs and modifications that were made, in other words… I have no idea who was piloting those ships or where their home base was."

Scholar was not surprised with the analysis, this has been a road of detours and dead ends… hopefully the ship in space dock contains the key if not… she stopped considering it there.

Illusion sat motionless, the energy signature they were following ended abruptly. The entire resources of the main and auxiliary ships were being used to search… Orion's AI spoke…

"Captain we are unable to explain the present situation with the information we have currently."

KO looks at the scan results as well. Although a correct statement for the AI, from a logical point, it was unnerving, how something could just 'vanish' without a trace. Contacting Marjee she stated the obvious, left a probe to snoop, and returned to the location of the recent, very one sided, battle.

Data from the warship was being reviewed, the results were well beyond what the crew had lead Noel to believe. Most of the records relating to the captain, had been deleted by the captain before the sacrifice, what ever that was, occurred. The warship was acting as an agent for an organization which had a very bad experience with the Zon. Those who executed the attack were mercenaries that the warship had brought to a point just outside the Zon defense zone. According to the ships logs the attack was supposed to create havoc, not to do the damage that was done. Questioning those who planned and carried out the attack was not possible, since the captain of the war ship vaporized them after telling them about the mistake they had made.

As far as the origins of the ship and it very diverse crew those who hired them and location of the organization that authorized the attack against the Zon. The data was there, however it didn't correlate with and know star charting system. The Suran advisor, who had assembled the data, said this.

"There are references to places and locations we know nothing about. They do not relate to any known navigational system in use today. Some of the names of are in our history files although those names haven't been used in centuries. It'll take sometime to compare what we obtained and compare it to the known universe. At least the universe we know."

Kenesh was in Cassandra's office when the report arrived; hoping it would be clear cut it was neither. She handed the report to Kenesh who kept staring at a certain passage, then excused her self and left in a hurry. Picking up the document still open to the page Cassandra read it. It contained the Suran advisors comments. Reading it she wonders what had triggered Kenesh, and more importantly what was she going to tell Nadia, if anything, this information was still too vague to discuss.

Kenesh left without a word of explanation to Cassandra. Once clear she contacted Scholar and agreed, hesitantly, to be transported aboard Pegasus. Scholar welcomed her and said.

"This must be important you're the last person I'd expect to have their atoms scattered…"

Kenesh stopped her, and related the portion of the report Cassandra had received. Hearing the quandary the statement implied, Scholar stopped her teasing, and asked this of Pegasus.

"Given the facts portrayed here and the information we have, is it possible that we are dealing with inter dimensional travel?"

The answer came almost as fast as the question and the explanation that followed was convincing.

"Scholar that premise has been examined and there is a seventy percent possibility of it being possible. What you aren't aware of is that Illusion was tracking a ship that vanished off their scan, leaving no trace at all... Another thing is the DNA samples have been analyzed and I've found a expedition with those people aboard it was a six ship expedition, according to the records five of the six ships arrived safely at their destination. The sixth ship mysteriously vanished… the ship and crew's fate unknown, until today, but the expedition occurred two hundred years ago. Those on the ship have only aged twenty years. Since the ship they were on is not the ship we've detained, and explanation is necessary."

With that Kenesh returned to the surface once again.

A link was established, KO, Marjee, and Shawn were on with Ariel listening voice only, while Chitose was utilizing the ships resources exploring a theory she had. The area of the battle had been investigated and the early theory was proving to be fact. All the damaged ships were from the same fleet, which brought this comment from KO.

"You'd think one of these ships would have inflicted some damage on the opposing fleet but, I wish we had just one ships log to review. How were they fooled, um deceived, or were their systems compromised?"

Information from Scholar had arrived and another question came forward that being, although older designs the flash scan Marjee had forwarded showed those were fairly modern ship designs. Why was there no damage to the opposition?

Chitose was compiling all the information that had been gathered and the information being supplied by Scholar plus from the probes in service. A common thread was appearing but, tying it together was fleeting. On second observation it would seem… Chitose turns to Ariel and…

"Hear me out… remember when battles occurred in inter dimensional space? Weapons discharged stayed in the bubble and couldn't enter normal space. Let's assume, and quite an assumption this is, that our quarry can sit on the edge of a spacial rift and…"

Ariel has moved from her position to Chitose's checking her display, a simulation is running based on what she has said. As Ariel watches the simulation Chitose continues.

"This is possible only if they can slip in and out of dimensional travel using a minimum amount of power. For instances our jump system, requires an expenditure of power, we can not immediately enter combat because we generate and maintain the jump. Let's hypothesize that there is an artificial generation source that the ship triggers however, if true we've not found any support equipment. Unless it's in the other dimension, a bridge, instead of a transportation link…"

Ariel continues to observe the simulation and says.

"On Shahrazad Noel's team had discovered that those who inhabited the planet well before us were interested in dimensional travel, I wonder what became of that discovery, let's assume that it's possible, does that mean we're dealing with and advance civilization?"

Chitose leaned back stared at the main display and said.

"Advanced, maybe, or a discovery of old forgotten technology, either way the question becomes… why are they here and what do they want. Let's assume, by what actions we've seen, they're not peaceful... Was this an advance force to explore the possibility of conquest? An accidental incursion, without more facts we are purely guessing."

Before a rebuttal could be expressed a message from the probe that KO left in the vicinity of the vanishing ship arrived not only to Chitose but KO and Scholar, who had been quietly monitoring. It was KO that said.

"You're not going to believe this, the probe just observer an asteroid vanishing. We are compiling the record and will send it on as soon as the data is checked."

Unbeknownst to KO, Scholar had already seen and verified the data it was her warning that was heard next.

"Your missing ship and that asteroid have both slipped through a dimensional portal. With the data I have I can not tell if it’s directional or bi directional. Have your probe approach but not enter the portal, I'd be interested in what it sees if anything. However keep your ships away, the probe is small and shielded enough that it would not be noticed, a ship on the other hand might bring a response you're not ready for."

KO delegated Leo to take control of the probe and move it towards the coordinates where the asteroid disappeared. It would take approximate three quarters of an hour to accomplish the maneuver. While that was occurring Chitose opened a discreet link to Scholar her first question was….

"The portal, the warship that entered it, those who arrived at Shahrazad, they're all connected aren't they?"

Scholar was exploring the same theory; Chitose coming to the same conclusion brought this question to Pegasus.

"Given what we have, not knowing what the probe will find, could what has been expressed be connected?"

Pegasus answer took a few moments to process and…

"It's quite possible, however, let's assume the following; those who arrive at Shahrazad unknowingly found a portal and traversed it without incident. That could explain their lack of aging given it's been two centuries since they disappeared. Next question would be how they acquired the ship they were on and what happened to the transport they launched from Sol on? Lastly and probably more important did those who escaped through the portal engineered the happenings that we're finding hard to explain?"

Tossing in the events that were unexplainable brought this from Scholar.

"You're implying we need to see what's on the other side of that portal aren't you?"

"I am, only if it turns out to be bidirectional, Illusion's probe will tell us that. With the information given this is the most logical solution to the present dilemma, unless the ship before us has secrets it's yet to shed. I'm forwarding this conversation to Illusion's Leo to instruct the probe to ascertain the status of the portal."

Aboard Illusion; Leo's interfaced went active an encoded message from Pegasus was displayed and an answer from Leo was sent. Decrypting the message KO said for all in the group to hear.

"Scholar has instructed Leo to ascertain the status of the portal whether it's directional or bidirectional… it's her opinion if it's the latter we should send the probe through to 'snoop'."

An out of breath Suran technician enters Kenesh's office only to find it empty. Dashing out the door he spies her walking towards the Command Center approaching her from behind while saying…

"Stop… we broke the code… you need to…"

Kenesh stops, turns, approaches him and places her hand over his mouth while saying.

"Enough, lets find somewhere quiet… you're making a scene."

They return to her office, she secures the building and then…

"Do you realize if you had continued to blurt out… now calmly tell me what you discovered?"

It wasn't telling so much as showing. A data pad with most of the ships log was handed to Kenesh. The Suran had marked parts which he felt were important. Kenesh looked at those then reviewed the balance of what he had brought. Offering him a chair she moved to her desk and sat down. Before opening a link to Scholar, she paused and…

"How many others have seen this?"

"You're the first, as you directed us to do…"

"I see, wait here talk to no one understood?"

"Yes madam I will do as you command."

Kenesh picks up her pace to the Command Center, pulling Cassandra into a conference room she hands a copy of the document to her and says.

"This is the tip, but it's enough for you to think about how you're going to tell the Zon about … Stars, what a mess... I'm getting with Scholar I truly believe she knows more than she's let on and now its time… I'll tell you how important I feel she is… I've already had my atoms scattered once today and will probably do it before night fall… send this to Dawn, I'm sure … she's young and doesn't need much sleep … I'll let you know what Scholar has to say… Oh don't wait up I'll be late."

Noel and Seelnay have just returned from the encampment where the crew of the warship is being kept 'safe' they see Kenesh leaving a conference room and as the approach the door the see Cassandra standing transfixed on a data pad. Entering the room and approaching her Noel reaches for the pad takes it from a stunned Cassandra and…

"Seelnay, the Suran's broke the code you better look at this and we probably should forward it to Dawn…"

"Yes do that, that's what Kenesh said before she left to see Scholar…"

Cassandra's response coupled with the far away look in her eyes… Seelnay transmitted the data to Dawn. Noel sat Cassandra down and…

"You said Kenesh was going to see Scholar, what shuttle bay was she using?"

"Not a shuttle was transporting to Pegasus, probably gone by now said don't wait up for her she'd be late. What do I tell Nadia and Mir…? We have those who transported those who attacked Zon in custody, but they had no idea of what the gravity of the attack was going to be and when they did, they vaporized those who carried it out, unfortunately we have no evidence of who or why. And now we have a mystery ship that passes between dimensions for what purpose… Noel I … have to tell Nadia something … but what? It won't be long until someone leaks that we have… and then… "

Noel tells Seelnay to watch Cassandra, informs Sari that Cassandra is in a conference room and that Seelnay will fill her in. She goes by Kenesh's office finds the Suran converses with him momentarily tells him to return to his duties and opens a link to Scholar, which Kenesh answers.

"Ah Noel you're back you'll find Cassandra…"

"Already have, you left a lot of loose ends down here, we're tying them up for you, what have you discovered?

"Pegasus is taking the information supplied by the Suran's and trying to decipher the rest of the downloaded data… it's going to be awhile and the conversation has been quite enlightening. Did you happen to see the data on the 'portal'?"

"What? No, we just got back and found… I'll review what's happened since we were gone and I'll get back to you."

Exiting Kenesh's, Seelnay is waiting; she's already reviewed that backlog from the time they left until recently and says.

"I thought we had excitement, compared to what's happened here, we were on a nature hike. It'll be easier for you to read than for me to tell you."

Seelnay watched carefully as Noel read the data pad, at the point she had anticipated Noel stopped and with her free hand ran her finger across the pad. In an attempt to take comprehend what her eyes were seeing. Closing the pad and handing it to Seelnay she said.

"I'm heading underground, you can join me if you wish, however I need to go now."

The entrance to the underground city was close by and Noel was moving at a brisk pace. Arriving at the entrance a winded Seelnay was a few yards behind her and said.

"Although I'm younger than you, I guess being one hundred percent Abh has some benefits. I'm going with you I figured that paragraph would bring a rise out of you."

Proceeding to the central core Noel inputted a sequence and the main display came to life, she inquired for information concerning: dimension travel, and all the unusual map points in the Suran report… surprisingly the answer arrived as soon as Noel hit send. A second display came online with current star charts and Suran translations overlaid on it. As far as her first question a detailed presentation was being cued on a third display, it would take an hour before it was ready.

The probe was in position, Leo instructed it to passively scan the portal. The scan was completed, the portal seemed bidirectional, and however, there was an energy field of unknown composition at the far end. Leo moved the probe towards the entrance and initiated a detail scan… The results were displayed on Illusion's main viewer as the images processed and became viewable KO said.

"Leo, retrieve the probe, now… Orion, back us away slowly and proceed to point C."

Opening the fleet wide link she continued.

"Everyone slowly back away I'll explain once we are well clear of the portal. Rendezvous at the coordinates I'm sending you."

On the main display were the images from the portal, fleets of attack vessels and warships that defied description sat just outside of the portal's exit. Once clear KO sent what she had to Scholar, Kenesh and Command. Kenesh sent it to Noel as well.

The data and images arrived, and within moments Scholar, Kenesh and Noel had come to the same conclusion. A new link was established to all parties concerned with Noel taking the lead.

"Data from the surrendered warship and our own observations; confirm that those on the other side of the portal are hostile. The fleet that Marjee found, wiped out, was probably initially supporting those beings, until their true nature was discovered; we saw the result of their attempt to stop those from the other side. As far as the portal goes, according to the information contained in the planetary system it's probably a one of a kind and will be difficult to disable, not impossible, but difficult. Lastly how this all relates to what has happened recently to the Zon? This is a reach, but given what we have, those who launched the attack were probably from the other side of the portal, the reason, although they have vintage vessels, the Zon Armada is sizeable. If all of this is true, then it's likely the attack was to disrupt the Zon's ability to launch, since the 'portal' is closest to the Zon Empire… The warship contains all the corroborating evidence we'll need, but, the precise translating all of it will take time that we don't have. Bottom line that portal needs to be disabled or destroyed and as soon as possible."

The fleet link became active; a question that wasn't answered was posed.

"The weapon we saw in action, you're saying it's from the other side and not something developed on this side?"

Plakia, who had posed the question, waited for the reply it didn't take long and it was Pegasus that answered.

"In regards to the weapon, while it's similar there are distinct variations in its energy signature that can't be found in this universe, and I'm implying the other side is a parallel universe. The link between them, in theory, is a stable, for lack of a better description, 'bi-directional black hole'."

Scholar seem unfazed by what had just been said, however the rest of the link became quite active to the point that Noel had to resort to muting parties to regain order. Once everyone was muted to the point the only person speaking was Noel she said this.

"We can debate all of this once that portal, bridge, what ever you want to call it, is closed permanently, I hope. I'm restoring normal communications, so we can put this issue aside, and figure out how to prevent further incursions from the other side, forever."

Noel's statement made it plain, that no matter how, the end result was the closure of the portal.

Pegasus's main display was active; what was being presented were possible scenarios to close the portal. Kenesh had planned on returning to the surface but once she saw the presentation she delayed her departure. A link that was established between Pegasus and Illusion hours before had been streaming data between them; with this coming from Pegasus AI.

"Scholar we need to send the probe back, there is not enough information, correction, there is too much conflicting information. Leo concurs and is returning to just short of the portal with the probe. We should have viable information shortly."

While Kenesh was observing the data, Scholar took note of the ship disconnecting from the planetary network, releasing the docking locks, bringing main propulsion on line and quietly backing out of space dock. Once in free space navigation indicated they were going to head for Illusion. Seeing this Scholar plopped Kenesh in a seat and said.

"Hold tight!"

Pegasus launched without permission and was past the defensive grid before any action could be taken. Aboard Samson, Eliana's sensor display went active showing the incoming ship. The link was open and she said to all listening.

"Pegasus is approaching; we're not receiving any communications. KO, they'll be in your lap shortly. This reply came from KO.

"We know, didn't expect them this soon but Leo and Pegasus have been linked for the past several hours. They're hatching a plan which we carbon life forms might get informed about before it is executed."

Alarms went off in Command as Pegasus departed, when the link went active between KO and Eliana; Cassandra said this to those there and to Noel who was still underground.

"I despise being on the outside looking in, observe Pegasus and as soon as it's determined their course of action kindly let me know."

Kenesh had never experienced a rapid departure in the class of vessel Pegasus was. Momentary acceleration exceeded six G units. Had Scholar not place her firmly in the seat she would have slammed into the console. Scholar had also firmly anchored herself, the rhythmic hum from the propulsion unit echoed with in the bridge. Once at maximum speed the sound calmed and then Scholar said.

"I'd like an explanation, now!"

Momentary silence followed, as Scholar moved to the engineering station, she found the manual controls disabled. Addressing the AI interface she said.

"You've locked me out, or so you think. I'll ask again, what have you and Illusion have been discussing. I'm sure you realize the trouble you've already caused…"

"It won't compare to the trouble that lies ahead; we are fifteen minutes from Illusion if the information from Leo and the probe are correct. … The portal is filling with hostile vessels and it will take the combine fire power of the entire fleet to permanently close it. Probably…"

It was 'probably' that didn't sit well with Scholar. Finding the fleet wide link she was about to communicated when KO was heard addressing the group.

"Data from the probe indicates over a thousand vessels sit at or are approaching the portal entrance. I'm sending locations and firing coordinates… let me know when you are in position."

Hearing KO, Eliana moved her group to the co ordinates provided. Marjee and her group were closer and already in position. Aboard Illusion Sarah noticed something that KO picked up on almost immediately moving to Leo's link she said.

"You are getting uncomfortably close to the portal…"

"Since I don't feel discomfort your comment is irrelevant, but I plan on getting even closer, the static being generated by the portal is interfering with receiving clear data from the probe."

An AI with an attitude is something KO didn't need, instructing Sarah to monitor Leo's progress she then addresses Orion.

"Since Pegasus has been linked, there has been a steady stream of information being exchanged. Would you be so kind as to 'share' what you've discovered with the rest of us?"

"Captain a comprehensive explanation, there is not enough time, I'll be brief… those in the other universe have had interactions with our universe, they know our weaknesses, they plan on exploiting them after the success they had at the Zon home world. They only upper hand that we have, is they have no knowledge of the 'ancient' tech we've discovered and are using. Hopefully we can out think them because in a head to head stand off we lose in every conceivable scenario. The tentative plan is to let as many enter the portal as possible then collapse it before they exit. We're assuming that a crushing defeat will prevent further incursions."

Planet side what was being discussed on the link was raising eyebrows in the Command Center… With most of her senior staff scattered about the universe Sari and Cassandra were dealing with a deluge of data…

Seelnay and Noel were heading back from below ground after reestablishing the link with the Command Center which was interrupted when Pegasus abruptly departed. Arriving in the Center Noel notices how KO has placed her offense and says.

'I'm curious, does she believe that’s enough firepower … given the area, that we can see, of the exit um entrance and the energy it's emitting. I wonder if they have sufficient resources…"

Cassandra moves between her and the display and…

"According to the data we have… the 'brain' trust feels a concentrated discharge at a certain point will cause the portal to collapse… Probably…."

An argument was about to occur when link activity went to an active combat mode. The probe was picking up mass movement in the portal. The audio channel disappeared yet the increase in data was straining the local network. Long range sensors indicated KO had started launching her barrage.

Pegasus arrived moments before Leo sent out the alarm that there was massive movement in the portal. Then the distress beacon aboard Leo sounded. A life pod with the operational crew was ejected and retrieved by Plakia. Leo moved closer to the entrance and ordered the probe to enter the event horizon and detonate. A subtle change in the portal output was noticed Leo then instructed for fire to be concentrated in the area of the probes destruction. Changes in the portal were observed yet the collapse that was forecast wasn't occurring.

Aboard Pegasus Scholar was monitoring the assault on the portal and…

"Not enough it's not enough scan and verify the location…"

Before Scholar could finish Leo moved close to the event horizon and suddenly ejected its energy core. The targeting system moved the fire from the point of the probe incursion and locked on to the energy core. When it was almost in the event horizon Pegasus detonated it with a massive concentrated barrage, the resulting blast collapsed the portal and before collapse debris was ejected into space. A scan was accomplished and what remained of Leo was found half a light second from the collapse. The balance of the debris was probably from the lead vessels. Marjee and Ariel were scanning the area.

Aboard Illusion KO was facing a dark interface… Orion had reported Leo's demise and when Pegasus found the remnants of Leo the decision was made to retrieve the unit for return to Shahrazad which Pegasus attached a tractor field to. KO was beside herself, she was so consumed with the operation that she failed to notice Leo approach to the event horizon. One quarter of the ship was lost and almost one third of its computation power. However the support crew was rescued, but Leo was more than a tool, she considered him almost sentient…

In the aftermath Eliana instructed those who were on patrol to continue, avoiding Zon space, and monitor their surroundings closely. Her group consisting Marjee and Shawn would escort KO and Scholar back to Shahrazad. Before leaving the area Scholar left an observation post in the general vicinity of the collapse it established a direct link to the home network.

To Be Continued In: Interference and the Balance of Power Epilog

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."