Canon Conflicts

Discuss the series here.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Canon Conflicts

Post by Ekuryua »

I've noticed a few canon conflicts between the animated series and the novel, and would like to document them. Also, if anybody else has noticed such conflicts, please post them below. Here's what I've noticed so far:

The Klanyu in the series are shown firing blue beams of energy as opposed to laser radiation like they did in the novel.
The Abh 'military officer' at Safugnoff is female instead of male.
Lafiel's eyes are grey instead of blue.
The conversation between Spunej Ramaj and the ambassadors concerns religion and God in the series, but in the novel it's about morals and fear of evolution. (Perhaps this is a translation issue?)

There are also things in the novel that were left out of the show (like Dusanyu's conversation with the Spunej), but this is attributable to the adaptation of the story to fit another form of media (i.e. television). These aren't necessarily contradictions, just omissions.
End Transmission.
Midnight Star
Founding Member

Re: Canon Conflicts

Post by Midnight Star »

I have also noticed that in the novel that Lafiel told Jinto about her birth secert the day they met on their way to the Gosroth. Also in the novel and not in the anime as well, Lafiel told Jinto that she figured out that Plakia was her gene donor and that she freqently came to their home. The other things were that Lafiel mentions she has an aunt in the novel, at the end of the novel her brother is part of the group (Lafiel's father and Grandmother)that greets Lafiel and Jinto when they arrive at the capitol and Lafiel getting chewed out by the Former Emperors' Congress about the Febdash incident.
FatPianoBoy
Founding Member

Post by FatPianoBoy »

Also, Sobaach switched genders on us. Apparently he even has a beard in the novels.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Whoa, an Abh with a beard? Now that's worth seeing.
End Transmission.
Midnight Star
Founding Member

Post by Midnight Star »

In the first COTS novel, some of the Gosroth crew had facial hair. One of them had a mustache. Also in the second COTS novel,Trife is on the pudgy side. Also in the second COTS novel, let's not forget about the first UM guards that Lafiel and Jinto encounter think that Lafiel was a doll.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Yeah, that doll scene was a bit surreal. Lafiel must be a pretty good actor...
End Transmission.
Midnight Star
Founding Member

Post by Midnight Star »

That doll scene was one of my favorites. I had a good laugh when I read it. Wished it was in the anime.
FatPianoBoy
Founding Member

Post by FatPianoBoy »

And here I thought I was alone in thinking that that scene was a brilliant bit of daffy on Morioka's part. I had tears in my eyes the first time I read that.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

It's almost as if Jinto got stereotyped as a desperate otaku... all he was missing were the creepy glasses.
End Transmission.
Midnight Star
Founding Member

Post by Midnight Star »

Also, remeber the scene when Jinto called Lafiel an idot? That was also not put in the anime. That was humorus as well.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Yeah, the books had a great many funny scenes that were omitted in the anime. :evil:
End Transmission.