03_Return to Duty

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

03_Return to Duty

Post by Diaho »

Return to duty
After the promotion ceremony, orders awaited Lafiel and Jinto. A flaw had been discovered in the new generation of attack ships. A flaw Lafiel was very much aware of, since her misunderstanding with a Federation of Hania ship almost cost them their ship and their lives. To repair this flaw would take one month. Squadrons were being repaired one by one and Lafiel’s was among the first.

She had not been on a vacation since Martine’s treaty with the Empire was signed. That was six years ago, and with Jinto. “I guess I’ll have to see how well he was trained,” she thought. She rented a small ship but wondered where to go? “Maybe the Hyde system and see Samson? Atosuryua had invited them to Febdash, or Nation of Roses? There were so many choices. I’ll see what Jinto wants.” She thought. They met at the docking bay. Sobbash was there to see Atosuryua off to Febdash. Jinto thanked her for the training and she told him to be careful. She wished them well and left.

Jinto!

Lafiel had called him for the fifth time, “What IS so interesting?” “I’m sorry Lafiel I’m still getting use to being able to see behind me.” Lafiel shook her head and said, “While we are on that subject, the ship is behind you, let’s go.” They gathered their luggage and boarded the ship. It was double the size of a communications shuttle and capable of plane space travel.

Once aboard and alone, Lafiel had a burning question. “Jinto may I see it?” He removed his headband to expose the newly implanted diamond shaped organ. She studied it carefully at close range and said. “How does it feel? Are you happy with it? When did you get it?” Plus more questions than he could remember.

“I’ve had it for a month now, it was done right after you left for the admiral’s exam.” Jinto said. “But Jinto I saw you with in a week.” Lafiel stated. “Yes I know they modified my Alpha to cover it.” Jinto removes his Alpha from it case and shows it to Lafiel.

“I see a very clever ruse, I’ll bet it was Sobbash’s doing.” Lafiel inquires. “No it was your grandmothers idea.” Jinto replied. “So she and my father knew?” Jinto nods “Your brother knew too, it was his books I learned from.”

Jinto watched as Lafiel’s expression went from disbelief to pure raging anger. Putting his headband back on he turned to Lafiel taking her in his arms and said. “Settle down, you were never good at taking to surprises, do not blame them, it was my wish after all.” Lafiel, her anger subdued said. “They were right, you shall make an excellent Chief of Staff. Okay Jinto where shall we go?”

He sat in the pilots seat and attached the crystals from his headband to the ship, which powered up. Then he started scanning star charts. “I don’t want to wind up anywhere near a battlefield.” He said. Lafiel agreed and tapped into his data channel with her headband. For the first time in their lives they were in close personal and unspoken communications with each other.

“Can I read your mind or can you read my mind?” Jinto asked. “Not normally, but we can get a deeper understanding of the other person feelings” Lafiel replied. The idea of Lafiel trying to understand what was in his head upset him. She sensed this and said, “Not to worry I can not see what you do not want me to see. You will know when I’m there as I will know when you’re there.” Jinto had only experimented with sensory art while at the capital. Most of what he’s seen and felt had been real or data stream.

“This has the makings of being a very memorable trip.” Jinto remarked. “Yes it does.” said Lafiel.

“Now where shall we go?” This was the second time she had asked him, and he still had not made a decision of exactly where. He just wanted to fly anywhere. “How about we launch and decide where to go once we are underway.” Normally a statement like this from Jinto would have upset Lafiel but she still remembered her first days of flying and how it felt not to fly for a time.

“Fine are you ready to launch Jinto?” As she was saying that, he was finishing the self-check program “Ready Lafiel.” he said. “Well get your clearance and let’s go Flyer Lynn.” Those words sent a chill up and down his spine and he thought. “She called me 'Flyer', wow.”

“Would you like an Electro Magnetic boost or use low heat propulsion?” Those words brought back fond memories. Yet although he knew the modifications to his body were complete, and he could with stand any acceleration “let’s leave slowly” he thought. “We would like the low heat departure.“ Jinto requested. “You’re cleared to depart.” Came the reply.

“Takeoff.” The command console under his left-hand flashed his wishes and they were off.
“I’m impressed Jinto, Sobbash has taught you well. Your flying is very good.”
“Yeah but I still have one problem.” Jinto says.
“What’s that Jinto?” Lafiel inquires.

The ship starts to slowly roll about on its axis. “I can’t totally forget about my hand not being there, I want to scratch my nose.” Laughter fills the ship, Lafiel’s red faced and almost to tears says. “I see your training is lacking in some respects, I guess I’ll just have to help you along.” She reaches over and gently scratches Jinto’s nose. The ship rights it self and Lafiel leaves the bridge to change clothes. Leaving the door open so they could speak she says.

“Jinto before we go anywhere near plane space lets wonder around in normal space for awhile.” He was expecting this from Lafiel and he knew he could use more training so it did not bother him. “Fine where shall we go?” he asks. “Jinto there’s an small yellow blue star off to your left and low, see it?” He scans the stars in the direction she indicated, “The one with eight planets around it?”

“Yes that’s the one, head for the fifth planet and put us in a high orbit around it.” Lafiel says. “Okay, will you be much longer? I’d like you to be up here when we arrive.” He asks. “I’m almost done, I’ll be up shortly. Don’t rush getting there, get a feel for the ship.”

The yellow blue star looms larger as they approach. Jinto starts scanning the system. The charts say that this is the Abause system with planets four and five suitable for habitation. Last surveyed by, Jinto gasps when he sees this line.

Gosroth Imperial Year 952.

Lafiel approaches the bridge from Jinto’s rear and sees what is displayed on his screen. She sits next to him; her dress is casual and comfortable looking. Admiring her, Jinto was pleased. “So do you know why I brought us here?” Lafiel asks. “No” He replied although there was not as much surprise in his voice as Lafiel thought there would be. “This is where I did my training and this is where you will finish yours. Put us in the orbit I asked for Jinto.”

“Yes Admiral as you command.” Jinto says. “Jinto it’s just the two of us.” Lafiel comments, but Jinto interrupts. “I know but it’s the first time I’ve gotten to call you by your new rank Lafiel.” “Jinto, you called me 'rear admiral' at the promotion ceremony remember? Now put us in orbit and stop staring at me.” Remembering, Jinto complies. “We are orbiting the planet Lafiel. Now what?”

The next week was spent honing Jinto skills. There were some difficult times. All in all Jinto progressed and Lafiel was pleased. “Jinto did you study the system survey as I asked?” Jinto shook his head, “No I’ve seen the overview but I did not look in to the details.” Jinto had his reasons, the detail ran over one thousand pages it would take him a month to read.

“Okay, just read pages six-oh-two thru six-one-six carefully and we will talk at dinner.” Lafiel had been spending more and more time in her cabin only exiting to eat or train Jinto. I wonder what’s she’s doing back there? Our leave is one third over and I’ve hardly got to see her.

The answer was on page six-oh-seven. Gosroth was not the first Abh ship to this system.
The Romamcel was on an exploration trip captained by Plakia Lexshu, a surface exploration.

So that’s what she’s up to, dinner should be exciting. A study of the ship’s operations manual confirmed his thoughts. So we can land and depart the surface world.

Lafiel arrived at dinner dressed in a safari type outfit, hat, shirt, vest, slacks, and boots. “I’m sorry I’ve not spent a lot of time with you Jinto, you did read the summary?” Jinto nods, “Yes I have. So we are going surface world exploring.”

“Yes, but I need to tell you that the original survey was not complete.” Lafiel says. “Are there hazards on the planet or something like that?” Jinto asks. “NO, nothing like that. It’s just that Plakia was not alone, Father was with her.” Jinto smiles, "So this is what she’s after. She wants to experience what Plakia and Debeusec did”. “When do we land Lafiel?”

“In about twelve hours, the landing site is in darkness now. You want to see where you’re going don’t you?” She asked. “So it’s my turn to land? How fortunate for me. I hope I can really do this, wonder what’s waiting down there?” Jinto thought.

Dawn is breaking over the landing site and Jinto is studying the area completely. For the first time they have both slept during the same time period. Jinto slept on the bridge and Lafiel slept in the cabin with the door open. In a high orbit you could leave the ship unattended for seven or eight hours without it falling out of orbit. Since they were landing soon Jinto let the ship slowly descend and awoke to find it in the proper low orbit for entry into the atmosphere.

“Lafiel we will be landing in thirty minutes.” Jinto called back to her. “Okay Jinto I’ll be right there.” Lafiel enters the bridge dressed as she was for dinner but without the hat. “So that what you wearing on the surface?” asked Jinto. “Yes and what you have on is fine, you might want to take a jacket though,” replied Lafiel.

“Have you been here before to the surface I mean?” Jinto inquired. “No Clasbul is the first planet I ever visited and you were with me. Why do you ask when you know better Jinto?” Jinto looks at her, “You seem to know where we are going as if you’ve been there before, that’s all Lafiel.” Lafiel a little annoyed says, “It will all make sense after we land so let’s land Jinto.”

Remembering what he saw at Lobnas II, he checked his descent program in the computer and prepared to disconnect himself from the ship. “Lafiel exactly where are we going?” She looks at him. “Bring up the landing site I marked on the survey.” A large landlocked kidney shaped lake appears. “There, the large island in the center land to the left and we’ll go in from there.” Jinto disconnects himself from the ship; he and Lafiel strap themselves in, its time.

“Starting descent in five, four, three, two, one descending.” The ship rolls on the preplanned course and is buffeted when entering the atmosphere. The computer slows the ship, banks and sets up for water landing. Jinto is monitoring the ship the landing is uneventful.

“Lafiel there's something reflecting light on the island.” He says. “Head straight for it Jinto there should be a dock to the right, see it?” Jinto looks in the direction given. “Yes I’ve got it Lafiel.“

They dock and a metal shelter comes into view. “That’s were we are going, help me unload and ah Jinto do you know how to build a fire?” Jinto a little amazed replies, “Yes I do but why do you ask Lafiel?” He sees what she is bringing from her cabin. A small cook stove, pots, pans, dishes, utensils, package food, two laser pistols and a large well-read book. Jinto recognizes the book instantly. That’s Samson’s cookbook! He’d seen it at Lobnas II but what was Lafiel. Oh my stars! She’s going to cook! That’s what she was doing in her cabin! Studying the book.

“I see you’re full of surprises Lafiel.” Jinto says. Lafiel smiles. “Jinto this is just the start.” They packed up and headed for the shelter. Upon their arrival Jinto makes a discovery. “Lafiel this building is of Abh construction.” “Yes Jinto it is, Plakia and Debeusec put it here long ago.” It looked new but the island had grown around it. “So how do we get in you got the key or something?” Pulling a crystal from her vest pocket. Lafiel passes it over the door and it opens.

The view inside was like a small summer home Jinto had seen on Martine. “Well don’t just stand there help me bring this in Jinto.” Once settled Jinto lit the cook stove for Lafiel and went for a look around. “Don’t go to far Jinto If I need your help I want you close by.” Lafiel said. “I have my creunoc call me if you need me I won’t be far I promise.”

Out the door the view of the lake was breathe taking. When she’s done Lafiel will have to see this. Jinto thought. Looking around he found a wonderful and peaceful place, a truly clean unspoiled surrounding with grass, fern style trees. A familiar voice broke the silence.

“JINTO!!! JINTO!!!”

He rushed back. He was only five hundred feet away but he could see that smoke was billowing out the front door. Lafiel was standing outside the door coughing and ANGRY. “Are you Okay? What happened?” she nodded but could not speak. ‘I’m going inside to see what happened. I’ll be right back.” He went inside and found a pot had boiled over and started smoking. Lafiel must have panicked and ran out the door. He opened the window turned off the cook stove and assessed the damages it was minimal. The book was open to a stew recipe he recognized from Lobnas II.

He came out the door to find Lafiel standing there tears streaming down both cheeks. “It’s all right you can start again there was no damage to the food.“ She stopped him “I wanted it to be perfect and I…I…” her words failed her. “It’s Okay Lafiel.” He wipes the tears from her cheeks but they won’t stop. “I guess you got more smoke in you eyes that I though.” She looks him straight in the face tears still streaming.

“No Jinto that’s not it at all! I’m crying because I want to. I wanted to cry at Aptic and could not. It was the same for Lobnas II. When I was promoted and you showed up changed I also wanted to cry. Now Jinto Lynn I’m crying and I will cry until I’m ready to quit! Don’t just stand their hold me you FOOL!” Jinto hugs Lafiel. She finds herself looking into the sunset over the lake she thinks one word. Stunning!

The sunset brings a temperature change. “Let’s go inside Lafiel.” Lafiel stares at her first cooking disaster and ask Jinto for help. He says he will help but she’s going to cook. Lafiel agrees and in the end dinner came out nicely. “Lafiel why did they build this place?” Jinto asked. “It’s a retreat, somewhere that they would sneak of to when they got bored.” She said. “I see so how did you find out about it?” Jinto looks at her. “Father told me that’s where I got the crystal from.” Jinto smiles and says, “I like it here, do you Lafiel?” She looks around, “I don’t know Jinto. I don’t dislike it. I need sometime to decide.”

“Lafiel how much do you know about your parents?” Lafiel returns her look to Jinto. “Jinto that’s kind of silly I know my father like a book. Plakia I hardly got to know her” her voice becomes shaky. Jinto looks up and more tears are coming from Lafiel. “I’m sorry that was rude of me Lafiel.” “No Jinto you said nothing wrong I wanted cry for her too. While we are on the subject of her, Father told me she left something here for me.” Lafiel gets up and heads for a desk in the other room, she opens the middle drawer, removes a sensory art device and a small box.

The cabin was set up with five rooms off a central room, a kitchen, a den, two bedrooms and a bath. The central living room is where they were it had a non wood burning fireplace of sorts, a love seat, sofa, table and two chairs. Lafiel sets the device on the table invites Jinto to sit next to her as she opens the small box. Inside it is a small crystal the size of a ships log. A note is in the box Lafiel opens it and reads “To: Lafiel. From: Your Mother.” “Jinto will you watch this with me?” Jinto nods, “Yes I’ll be glad to Lafiel.”

She powers up the device and they plug their headbands into it. She inserts the crystal and it starts playing. The scene is Plakia’s quarters on board the Gosroth. She is setting in front of her logging station and starts to speak.

“Lafiel my darling daughter if you are watching this then something has happen to me and I am no longer with you. It’s the night your training ended and I’m recording this for you. There are so many things I wish to tell you but first and most of all I am so very proud of you. Your father’s education of you I did not approve of. You’ve become a fine young woman in spite of him but do not hate him. I love him; I love you and your brother. When it comes time show this to your brother. So I may tell him I love him too. This place you’re at it’s our hide a way and hide out. Your father and I would run out here every chance we got. It’s a wonderful place enjoy it. Time is short there is one thing I wish to share, when we leave here we are heading to the Deltoke spaceport you will pick up a Count Hyde I hope you two become good friends. If he’s there with you now I say to him even thought I have not met you yet I understand you are an interesting person. Please make my daughter happy. Lafiel I must go, be happy my precious Imperial Highness, good bye.”

The recording ends. Jinto who has been watching Lafiel since the start has realized how very strong she is. He is shedding tears while she remains dry-eyed. She removes their headband crystals form the device and says. “Jinto you saw what I saw correct?” Jinto nods. “Yes Lafiel she was a nice person.” Lafiel is getting angry and says, “JINTO! She was in on putting you and I together does that not anger you?” Jinto is confused he says. “Only if it was a bad thing, was it a bad thing Lafiel?” He looks to her and Lafiel starts crying. All was right with the world. They moved to the love seat and that’s where they fell asleep.

Jinto awoke with the sun in his eyes and Lafiel was nowhere to be seen. The sound of running water was the next thing that got his attention. Lafiel must be in the shower. So while she was in there he though he'd make them breakfast. Dress of the day was a top, slacks and boots, and they decided they would eat while exploring.

It was a big island filled with a lot of trees and meadows, a few birds and bugs. The meadows were full of flowers. Lafiel had learned a flower in bloom was its most beautiful state, and she looked for buds to watch. The water was teeming with fish. Lafiel waded out and giggled when a fish wriggled between her toes. Jinto sat and enjoyed the view. A large stream flowed behind the cabin and emptied into the lake. The days were spent exploring and nights were spent talking, viewing sensory art, reading and cooking lessons. Lafiel was becoming quite the cook.

On the fourth morning, it happened. Jinto had not slept well that night and the forth day found him staring at the sunrise. Lafiel had already departed for the meadows to watch the flowers bloom. She returned to find him in a sun chair resting. I think I will join him. She went inside to the den to get the matching chair from there and placed it next to Jinto. Back inside to change and apply sunscreen. Abh sunscreen is a honey colored liquid that is applied to the whole person. Abh’s do burn and Lafiel noticed that she was getting darker and wanted to stop it here and now. Jinto on the other hand was tanning nicely. Sunscreen on, hat, halter-top, shorts, she had never worn so little before.

I wonder what Jinto will think when he awakes? Lafiel mused.

Cook book in hand out the door she goes, into the chair and reading. About an hour later the sun in her eyes she turns toward Jinto book in hand. She adjusts the book so she can see it and gets a look at Jinto for the first time. The book falls from her hand what she sees is Jinto facing her in a half-fetal position pale sweat pouring from his forehead.

“Why is this happening? Is this what they were talking about in the report?”

Abh’s do not have nightmares. It was discovered long ago that constant sensory bombardment led to insanity. Anything bad an Abh “sees” is stored in a part of the brain only accessible while awake. Should an Abh have trouble there is a pill (the one Sobbash talked to Samson about at Aptic). It puts body, mind and soul at peace and allows for undisturbed rest. Lafiel had some of those pills with her.

She also had a report Sobbash gave her at the departure dock, a medical report on one Lynn, Jinto. She had studied it carefully on the way out. It described Jinto’s procedure and all known side effects from it. This was not in the report, this effect. They were less than five hours at maximum speed from the Capital and the best medical minds in the Empire.

“Should I try to wake him? He is in so much pain.”

“Jinto.”

His response was immediate and unpredictable. His eyes were wide-open he forcefully grab her arm.

“JINTO! JINTO!! JINTO!!!” Lafiel shouted at him. “Let go of me, you’re hurting me! You shall let go of me!!!” He releases his grip, his eyes wild, become more human. He’s in shock and he has no idea what happened. Lafiel rubbing her arm sits back in her chair. “Jinto do you know who am I?” He looks at her. “Lafiel? What happen to your arm?” He looks at his hand the honey colored sunscreen still on his fingers. “I did that?” She nods her head. “I’m sorry I don’t know what came over me I was dreaming.”

She cuts him off. “Having a Nightmare from what I saw, and a very bad one. Jinto are you able to talk? We need to talk.” Jinto is still very rattled he says in a monotone, “I need a little time Lafiel can it wait a while?” “It can.” she gets up from the chair and goes inside. At that moment Jinto realizes what she is wearing and says. “Nice outfit I’ve never seen that one before.” The reply came from inside. “If you’re good it won’t be the last time you see it.”

“Now what did she mean by that?” He was more worried that he had hurt her without knowing it. Why did I do that? The answer would come that night. While Jinto rested the rest of the day, Lafiel was in her room studying the report looking for clues to Jinto’s wild out burst. As she lay on the bed reviewing the report she thought.

This is a wonderful place father. It has everything here you could want. It’s set up for two. Poor father, life without Plakia must be hard. Then the thought of life without Jinto crossed her mind. I must find the problem before I lose him forever.

Dinner was simple and fast. Lafiel had mastered the cook-stove and was quite at home with it. “Jinto come with me.” They went to the den and sat across the desk facing each other. There was a folder on the desk from Star Forces medical branch with Jinto’s name on it. “I can not let you see the contents of this yet, but when we are done here you may read it fully.” She takes the folder off the desk and puts it in the center drawer. She bends down and picks the sensory art device up and puts it on the desk.

“Jinto you know that Abh’s don’t have nightmares?” He nods his head. “You are having nightmares, and I need you to share them with me Okay?” A blank stare greets her last question. “Jinto I wish to share my feelings with you if you will share yours with me.” He nods his head in approval.

Lafiel inserts a beautiful land scene, hooks herself and Jinto to the device and starts it. They sit across the desk facing each other holding hands. “Jinto when you are relaxed squeeze my hand and when I’m relaxed I’ll squeeze yours.” Jinto sees a beautiful meadow in front of him. Lafiel is standing to his left but he has trouble approaching her. “Relax, Jinto the more you relax the closer I’ll get.” Relax.. closer.. ah embrace.. hand squeeze. “We are one, Jinto, now think of your first bad experience and I’ll think of mine.”

His first was of himself and Teel after Rock surrendered Martine. Her first was of her father and the cat gene supplier. They moved forward together through school days to the time they met. Their adventures together the gunshots, the hair dye and in the coffin. To the time apart, captains school for her, accounting school for him. To Aptic the loss of the ship the time adrift, so far Lafiel had not stumbled on the cause.

Lobnas II for the first time she felt fear, terror, was this it? What had happened here, she had to know. She expressed her side of Lobnas II to him the boredom the immigration his capture and the loneliness. Her decision to stay and evacuate the prisoners and the battle that resulted. Then her return to the surface to search for him. Jinto was not being as forth coming as she had.

“Relax Jinto I think we’ve found it, but you need to show me so I can understand and help.” He looked at her and let go of it all. The food delivery, the gun shots the immigration plan, the “gay” jokes, the rebellion, and the capture. Geomaiden’s death, Angus's strangle hold, then darkness.

“Jinto please let me see the rest.” Light, Dukafu dead, the noise, the last ship leaving, Angus drowned. “Lafiel why did you leave me why didn’t you wait for me?” Loneliness, hiding, no food no Lafiel, I’m going to die here without you Lafiel the writing on the wall the passing of time, so tired, good-bye Lafiel. Voices, shouting, cot, people, bright lights, wait, your face, you came for me.

“I’m so sorry Lafiel that I ever doubted you. That you would ever leave me in a hellhole like this.” A view of the tropical forest on Martine and sadness then a hundred views of her face and contentment.

“Jinto we are done now you need to sleep we will talk in the morning.” She disconnects the device and helps a very exhausted Jinto to bed. “He does care about me I should never mistreat him again” off to sleep she goes.

“So how was you sleep” she was making eggs and sausages. “I can’t remember when I slept so well thank you Lafiel.” Lafiel explains, “I let your monster out of the closet and we have dealt with it. Do you understand all that happened last night?” Jinto nods “I read the report this morning now that the closet is empty can I seal it away?”

“I think you should discuss that with the medical department when we return to the Capital Jinto. Let’s eat and go for a long walk. I’ll change before we go Okay?” Eggs in mouth he nods approval. When she finishes Lafiel changes and returns to the kitchen wearing yesterday’s outfit, wearing sunscreen and a small bruise on her arm.

“Let’s go and there will be no repeat of yesterday.” Jinto looked at Lafiel and says “That wasn’t me yesterday, this is me today.” Wraps his arms around her middle and gently kisses her cheek. The rest of their stay went so rapidly that it was hard to believe it was time to go. Lafiel wanted to return with four days left but Jinto got her to remain for three days.
The last night a grand feast for two was prepared. They cleaned up and pack for an early departure.

Standing at the ship ready to leave both of them are gazing at the sunrise. “Jinto I know why Plakia loved this place it’s so beautiful. Half of me wants to stay and half wants to go back to space.” Jinto nods, “So we come here every chance we get Lafiel?” She nods, “Yes Jinto every chance and when the wars over.” Jinto interrupts, “You think we’ll have to fight your father for it?” Lafiel shakes her head, “No it is ours, a present from him and Plakia, you will stay with me?” Jinto put his arm around her, “If you will have me, then yes. Forever my love.”

Lafiel flew to the Capital. Jinto and the doctors closed his closet. A visit to Debeusec and many thanks were followed by a return to the spaceport. “Chief of Staff is the ship ready?” Jinto nods, “Yes Admiral.” Lafiel heads up the loading ramp, “Then let’s go aboard.”

Once aboard they proceeded to the bridge. The ships staff was assembled there. Lafiel took the command chair and Jinto sat to her right. No one was surprised at Jinto’s appearance thanks to Commander Ekuryua briefing of what she had seen a month before. “Admiral, awaiting orders from the flagship” Ekuryua commented. “Very well” said Lafiel. “Chief of Staff will you come over here.” Jinto rises and comes to Lafiel’s side.

“You know I really did not understand the concept of rebellion till just recently Chief of Staff.” Jinto stands facing the main display, “Yes Admiral and your point is?” Lafiel turns slightly towards him and says, “You did something while we were away and I wasn’t sure how to take it till now.” Jinto still facing the display says, “Admiral?”

Lafiel rises from her seat looks Jinto straight in the face place her hands about his neck and shoulders and kisses him directly on the lips. Jinto’s hands find their way around her middle and her hands drop to his.

BEEP BEEP

“Admiral, message from command” Ekuryua says.

“Tell them I’m busy.”

“Its Commander Sobbash from the flagship. She won’t take no for an answer.” Ekuryua replies.

“Jinto, do not move” whispers Lafiel. “Put her on.” Lafiel says.

The viewer lights up a shocked Sobbash is staring at this scene. The Admiral and her Chief of Staff kissing on the bridge, there is silence from both ships.

“Ah Admiral I see you got your hands full, I’ll just transmit your orders.”

“Sobbash, don’t you think a little rebellion is good for the soul?”

“I don’t know Admiral, I’ve not given it much thought.”

“Well I’ll let you know what I find out, good day.”

The transmission and kiss end.

Jinto takes a few unsteady steps back to his post. Lafiel sits back in the command chair. “Chief of Staff I think I like this concept of rebellion I may have to make a habit of doing it more often.”

“Admiral we have our orders.”

“Very well Ekuryua set a course.”

“Course set.”

“DAISELE.”

Later in Lafiel’s cabin sitting at her desk reflecting upon her first day back.

“Well I’ve not seen a change in crew moral although, Ekuryua been much quieter Jinto has had this silly grin on his face all day and I feel much calmer.”

Her thoughts go to the flagship.

“I wonder what Sobbash and Atosuryua are thinking now?”

Lastly back to her and Jinto.

“It was a wonderful time Jinto and I were truly happy and I remember the words I spoke at Martine. I will become his world and will make him my world. That has happened and so much more I can’t wait to see what happens next.”

To be continued in, “The Kiss and More.”

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."