07_Rebirth of an Empire

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

07_Rebirth of an Empire

Post by Diaho »

Rebirth of an Empire

“Would you mind explaining just what we were doing on that planet? Count Hyde was just as confused as I was.” Kufadis looked up from his display, they were the only two beings aboard the shuttle. She was sitting in front of him awake actually looking him in the eye. She was not ready to answer his question. Kufadis continued. “Count Hyde seemed surprised at our visit and that the main fleet of the enemy had been defeated. When I told him that you had told the Emperor off. Well I think the poor man’s still in shock.” Kufadis looks up again she was in front of him looking at him but not seeing him. Her eyes he’d never taken the time to examine them they were quite breath taking. She stood looking at him he went back to his console and thought. “When she is ready I guess she’ll tell me something.”

The six ships in Spoor’s group have spread themselves throughout the system it was going to be sometime before they arrived at her ship. Finally the silence took its toll on him he decided to get her to answer no matter what the consequences were. “EXCUSE ME ARE YOU HEARING MY VOICE MA’AM!” He shouted directly at her. This time the eyes were lit on fire; it’s a look he’d seen before. “You know Kufadis, it’s been quite sometime since I had the urge to eject someone into space. I’m beginning to get that urge again, your next words determine your fate.” Spoor stood before him ready to give him the boot out the airlock.

“You will excuse me. I should not have shouted at you, though your lack of answering my question was, shall I say rude Ma’am.” Kufadis was rising from his seat he figured he was going to have to defend himself. He was now standing two feet from Spoor. She was in a defensive stance as well. She broke the silence. “I see. I might have been amiss at not answering your question. How does give you the right to yell at me?” She was starting to smile, a smile he knew well. A trip to the vacuum of space would not be in his future. Well not for the moment or anytime soon.

“Lafiel! LAFIEL! Where are you? Can you hear me Lafiel!” Jinto was still drying himself off. He had been in the shower he’d heard Lafiel scream and the door slam. He was getting ready to look for her. On his way out he saw the viewer on the table it was still running. Jinto shut down the unit he noticed there was not a crystal in it and headed for the door. “LAFIEL! Where are you? Answer me Lafiel.” Jinto stood at the fork in the pathway Lafiel had not responded to his calls. “I wonder which way she went?” Jinto thought. He took the path towards the flower garden, he had chosen correctly. Lafiel was standing at the rose bush; she was ready to reach for the thorny stalk. Jinto called to her. She stops and turns towards him the crystal hanging from her neck, the tears still streaming down a very angry face. “Leave me alone Jinto! GO AWAY!” She turns back towards the bush and starts to reach for the thorns again. “No Lafiel!” Jinto shouted and rushed to her side grabbing her hand pulling it to safety. “What are you trying to do? Do you really want to hurt yourself?”

A sweeping right hook narrowly missed Jinto’s head. He ducked; as he did he rose slightly and caught Lafiel at the midriff, lifted her off her feet and putting her over his shoulder. Kicking and swinging wildly, he took her toward the lake. Upon arriving he tossed her in and said. “Lafiel, you need to cool off. I do not know what got into to you, but just cool off.” She stood there soaked, still very angry, walking towards him. Jinto was distracted by Lafiel’s appearance, he did not see this one coming and it connected. Whack! The side of Jinto’s face was stinging. He caught sight of the second blow countered it and push Lafiel back into the lake. “Lafiel what has gotten into you?” Jinto’s face was hurting yelling at her made it worse. Lafiel stood up stepped out of the lake and once on solid sand, she charged him again. Jinto had, had it. “So she wants to play rough? Okay then let’s play rough.” Jinto had noticed when Lafiel got very angry she lost her sense of combat. She would swing wildly and without much thought. Dealing with her in this mood at least would not get him killed. Or so he hoped.

“This is what you left the Viscountess to view and you did not warn Count Hyde of its contents?” Kufadis was removing the data crystal from the reader. “You are sure of the factuality of this?” Spoor nods her head. “Then the Emperor is a traitor?” Spoor looked solemnly at Kufadis. “Yes this is part of the information we gleaned from the captured ship. I’ve verified all of it there is no hoax this is real. The setup of command transport at Palhun. The way he dethroned Ramaj all of it. Her crystal contains all of this and more. Are you ready to see the more part Kufadis?” Spoor took another crystal from around her neck and handed it to Kufadis. “Maybe later Ma’am I need to sort through what I’ve already seen.” She took back the crystal and placed it around her neck. “When you’re ready let me know. How long till we reach the ship?” Spoor asked. “We are still five hours out.” Kufadis replied.

Lucky for Jinto, Lafiel tired easily in the surface gravity. Had they been in space, she would have done greater damage to him. He’d managed to block most of her blows and landed a few of his own. This jousting event was about over. Lafiel took one wild swing and fell face first in the sand. The water gently lapping at her feet. Jinto stood there bruised and exhausted he felt like falling along side her, but with his last bit of strength he helped her to her feet and they slowly walked back to the shelter. Lafiel never said a word she was just breathing heavily trying to regain her strength to launch another attack. Jinto knew something was a miss when they reached the sun chairs she tried again to strike Jinto. She missed; the force of the blow carried both of them into a chair, Jinto on the bottom and Lafiel across his lap. Jinto applied one forceful blow to Lafiel’s bottom she stiffened and then relaxed.

“Would you mind telling me what I did to deserve this Lafiel?” Jinto asked. “I told you to leave me alone!” Lafiel was having trouble with the words she was still spent. “You were going to hurt yourself am I not correct?” Jinto was just as tired as she was. “What I do to myself is none of your concern Jinto!” Lafiel did not move she was becoming dead weight across Jinto’s legs and he was losing feeling in them. He moved Lafiel aside and the blow came. He blocked it so well that he ended up hitting Lafiel in the face. She winced in pain and put her hand to her mouth her fingers came back with blood on them. Jinto had split her lip. She took her bloody fingers and cleaned them. Then she ran her tongue around the wound and smiled. Jinto had this strange look on his face he spoke without thinking. “You were out for blood, only you were after your own this time?”

She looks at him. “Yes. I was so angry. I wanted to taste blood, my own blood. So I could remember who I am. I was feeling pain inside and wanted to feel pain outside. That’s why I went for the rose bush, but gallant you had to step in and spoil it. So. I took out my anger on you. Had you not split my lip I was going back to the rose bush.” She moves closer to his side and says. “Jinto I don’t understand. You just took a beating to keep me from hurting myself and you wound up hurt as well. It would have been just a stick to my finger. Now look at us, dirty, beaten, bruised and bloody. Is this part of being protective? To have me hurt you. So you can save me from me? I’m confused, help me to understand this Jinto.”

Jinto put an arm around her and gently kissed those bloody lips. He’d never tasted her blood before. He’d never fought with Lafiel before, and at that moment he never loved her as much as he did now. “I’m sorry Lafiel, It was just the though of you hurting yourself. I never wanted that, then you swung at me and the next thing I knew I was defending myself from you and.” He looks into her eyes. The anger was gone. Those eyes like two dark pools capable of showing so much emotion and so beautiful. “I guess if you told me instead of ordering me away it would not have ended like this. You understand Lafiel?” Jinto turns towards the sunset. “I guess when you’re ready. You’ll tell me what made you so angry?” Lafiel was sitting next to him. They watched the sunset together. “Jinto let’s go clean up, try to eat something and I’ll let you in on information that Spoor left us. It is very disturbing. But I believe I can view it objectively now. Let’s go in now, my very precious Count of Hyde.” Jinto helped her to her feet and they went inside.

Jinto tended to her lip and she gave him a looking over too. They were both going to be very sore for awhile. A quick shower and dinner brought them to the living room and the sofa. Lafiel was having a time finding a comfortable position to sit in thanks to Jinto’s well placed blow. Jinto was comfortable lying down. Lafiel lay down next to him; the next thing they knew it was morning.

“Hey Lafiel. You awake?” Jinto was squinting; the morning sun was in his eyes. Lafiel was next to him he could feel her warmth and hear her breathing. She was aware of his voice and answered him. “Jinto I’m hungry can you make breakfast?” Jinto tried to move but Lafiel had him blocked in. He gently nudged her and said. ”You got to move over I can not get out Lafiel.” As if given orders, Lafiel promptly moved to the edge of the sofa. Jinto managed to find his way out. Once on his feet and clear of the sofa Lafiel retook the ground she had given up and much more. She was on her back Jinto could clearly see her face. Her lip was still swollen, her face a bit pink, and her hands bruised. Jinto’s face still stung his ribs ached and he was a little unsteady in his steps. He headed for the kitchen to start their meal.

It was the smell of breakfast that finally brought Lafiel to the land of the living. She arose and headed for the bathroom. Jinto noticed that as she passed she was still having a little trouble walking. Upon her return she sat at the table and watched Jinto finish cooking their meal. Plates in hand, Jinto sat at the table. He passed Lafiel hers and watched as she tried to eat. She had hit Jinto so hard her hands were swollen. They would not hold the fork. Several attempts left her frustrated. Jinto never touched his food, he leaned across the table took Lafiel’s fork, filled it with food and started to feed her. Normally Lafiel would have rejected this attempt. But this morning she was in a different mood.

She took the food chewed and swallowed it. Jinto was preparing the next serving and she spoke to him. “Jinto is this how married people act? All of this helpfulness and sacrifice? Is this how Teel and Lina acted? Is this how you wish me to act?” Jinto stops. He looks directly at Lafiel. She was in a state of confusion. Her upbringing as a royal princess was conflicting with the love and respect she felt for Jinto. Something was trying to trigger the cold and heartless part of her. Jinto figured the catalyst for her actions was Spoor’s data crystal. The next serving approached her lips, she took it readily. Jinto looked at Lafiel and spoke.

“This is how couples behave on my home world. Normally they do not have a sparing event like we had yesterday. They mate, have offspring grow old together and die. You and I may do all of that but we have two hundred years to do it in. Most land couples have seventy-five years at best. Marriage is a commitment Lafiel. It totally binds two people into one. Did you read that book I gave you?”

The next serving was approaching Lafiel she stops it and says. “I read that book. I thought it was too binding, too restrictive. Do you really want me to act that way? To be a… “ Jinto stops her. “You misunderstand Lafiel. That’s how land people expect couples to act. We are not land people. True I was born on the land and enjoy being on the land. But we are Abh. Since Abh’s do not believe in marriage. I presented that book to you so you might understand the concept of marriage. Do you have any questions Lafiel?” She was finishing the last serving of her meal. Jinto was starting on his meal. She realized that he had stopped what he was doing and tended to her needs without complaint or reservation. She wondered. “What did I do to deserve such a wonderful human being? What ever it was I’d better not lose him”

“Jinto. What would you like from me as far as our relationship goes. Do you like what we have now or would you like something closer to the way landers act?” Jinto was chewing on the last bit of his meal he gave her a look of wonderment. But before he could voice his opinion she jumped in. “Jinto would you be happier if we were married?” Jinto had just swallowed his last bit of food before she spoke. Had he not he surly would have choked. He looks at Lafiel. She was not joking, and the look on her face was one hundred percent serious. He thought for a moment and spoke. “Lafiel I’m happy with the way things are now. But relationships do grow. Are you wanting our relationship to grow?”

She reaches across the table, takes Jinto’s hands in hers and says. “I want to know where we are now and what you and I both think the future will bring. I wanted to know these things before I show you the crystal.” Jinto had never fully seen the caring side of Lafiel before. This was a totally unsolicited act on her part. She was asking for his definition of their relationship and wanted to work together with him to make a statement for the two of them. The rest of the day was spent in discussion and debate of their relationship. By evening they understood each other’s positions and were ready to move forward.

“Jinto next time we’re confronted with a situation like yesterday.” Lafiel rubs her face, it still hurts, “I do believe we went overboard on the whole deal, although it was a challenge and I have to admit I had a little fun. We’ve never played together before, next time, some padding might be in order.” Jinto smiles and says. “When we have children, should they be allowed to watch us vent ourselves or should we leave them in someone’s care while we go hash it out?” Lafiel was looking at him.

This comment started a laugh and she spoke still laughing. “Jinto, my always caring Jinto. I hope by the time we have children; we won’t have the need to joust. That you and I can work out our differences and that I can deal better with my quick-tempered anger. You know Jinto, I do love you and I do believe I would be lost without you.” Jinto walks towards her, holds her in his arms and says. “You know I feel the same way Lafiel. I’m glad we gotten things straight. I’m happy you love me and you want to stay with me. We’ve got a big day tomorrow and it’s late how about some sleep?” Lafiel nibbled at his ear and said. “Just sleep heh?” They headed down the hallway towards the bedroom.

“I believe you could use this Kufadis.” Spoor was holding a large wineglass filled to the brim. He took the glass from her hand. Took a large sip from it, then handed her back the data crystal and spoke. “I never realized that the royal family had such a background. I learned they all came for the same genetic source. There had been enhancements over time but I never thought that a clan would stoop so low as to engineer a.” He stops and looks at Spoor for direction. He was unsure of what to say, he wanted her input. She saw this and said one word. “Hybrid.” Kufadis looks at her in agreement. His thoughts went out to the Count and Viscountess. “I wonder if she’s viewed the crystal by now. I hope he’s still alive.”

Part of the secret Lafiel was about to share with Jinto was a family secret, something a non-member of the royal family should never see. This is why she had to know where she stood with Jinto before she showed him the data crystal.

The morning started with breakfast a walk to the garden, then to the beach, around the lake, and back to the shelter. Most of the time was spent with Jinto and Lafiel walking arm and arm. They stopped to look at the flowers and their reflections in the lake. Back at the shelter, Lafiel set up the viewer to let Jinto see the crystal’s contents. Jinto made drinks for them both and they settled in to view the crystal’s data.

The information came fast and furious, several times during the viewing Lafiel grabs Jinto’s hand and squeezes it hard. She never hurts him. But he could feel the tension leave her. Jinto was engrossed with the information being displayed. It was beginning to make sense to him. How the United Mankind was able to attack the Abh on a mental level. Why the Emperor was never involved in the investigation. Then Spoors opinions of the Mock Battle, that was to end the war.

Then came the family secrets, how the Emperor was a composite being, not truly Abh or Terran and in no way an Ablïarsec. Jinto paused the viewer and looks at Lafiel. “I’m no better than he is. I’m a hybrid too.“ She stops him cold. “No Jinto. You are more human than he could ever be. You’ve been given the traits of the Abh, the good one’s. He on the other hand, was created without love or purpose, he is an experiment that should have never left the lab.” Jinto looks puzzled he says. “Why is it now that these thing are coming to light? Why didn’t someone figure this out sooner?” Lafiel started the viewer and said. “The answer is in here. You will know soon enough.” The data continued. When it was finished Jinto sat there motionless. Lafiel finally broke the silence

“This Dusanyu was created by the non aligned families to take over the Empire. He was secretly switched into to the birth chamber. He’s been programmed to think and act like an Ablïarsec, but he is not.” Jinto thinks for a moment. No Abh would ever stoop to such a lowly plan. Lafiel continues. “Had it not been for the information gathered from the captured ship, no one would have known till the takeover happened. Spoor is treading on very dangerous ground. She has the proof, but she will need to convince a lot of the other clans it’s true. Since her family is second in power and respect to the Ablïarsec clans. She is coming from a position of strength. But if she can prove it and get Dusanyu to admit it, then she could de throne him. However, getting him off the throne could prove impossible and possibly even fatal.”

“Lafiel, do you think Spoor wants to become Empress? Well I mean she’s put herself in that position hasn’t she?” Jinto was waiting for a response. Lafiel has this far away look in her eyes; it was like she was no longer in the room with Jinto. She was somewhere else. Jinto saw this, he was unsure of what to do next. Before he could speak. Lafiel returned to the here and now. She spoke with feeling, as she knew what was going to happen. “No Jinto, I believe not. Although Spoor could sit on the throne, I believe she would never do so. She has the best interest of the Empire at heart. I feel she would die first than betray the Empire.”

She looks around the shelter and continues. “I guess we need to clean up before we leave. I really don’t want to go. But the fate of the Empire is at stake. I can not sit here and do nothing. You do want to come along don’t you Jinto?” She looks at him sitting there. His look was as if she had given him orders to go to battle. She realized, she never asked him his opinion on all of this. “Jinto wait.” He looked at her. She had never changed her mind in mid sentence before. Lafiel went on noticing the change in Jinto’s look. “I’ve done it again. I’m sorry Jinto. I just ordered you to go with me. I failed to ask you if you had any more questions. Or if you were ready to leave I just spoke…“ Jinto rose, he placed his fingers on her lips and says. “My dearest Lafiel, you are still part Ablïarsec Princess, part Admiral and very loyal to the Empire. Had you not said what you just said, I would have been very worried. How soon do you want to leave, or is it how soon do we need to leave?”

The fuel processing plant in the Hyde had become a very busy port. Close to thirty-five fleets of Abh warships floated in the vast remoteness of the Hyde system. The conference room at the fuel plant had become headquarters for the ships in the system, as the door is approached a conversation of great debate is heard.

“You’re telling me you don’t need my help? I’ve brought twelve squadrons of the finest ships of the Empire to help you and you feel those out dated Kal class battleships can deal with the threat? Give me a break.” Kufadis and Sobbash sat watching their commanding officers having this sparing match. It was going to get very interesting. Atosuryua kicked her chair back stood up looks across the table at Spoor. She draws her command rod and points at Spoor’s heart stopping inches from her uniform. “You should be glad this is not a sword. You’ve angered me enough that the thought of running you thru has crossed my mind. You sit there and tell me that helping you could ruin my career cause me the loss of my territory. What are you thinking? If the Empire falls, what career, what Febdash, such as it is. Do I have? You have so much more to lose than I. I want to see the Empire survive that’s why I’m here and you reject my offer.”

Spoor pushes the command rod aside. She looks at Atosuryua and speaks slowly. “So all you’re after is the future of the Empire? You have NO ambition of setting on the throne? You are after the removal of the current Emperor and a return to peace? Am I correct that are you willing to give your life and the lives of your command to this end?” Atosuryua returns the rod to her side. She looks Spoor in the face makes complete eye contact and says. “Grand Duchess this lowly Baroness is ready to follow you to hell and back if necessary for the continued future of the Empire.” Spoor smiles, but Atosuryua is not finished. “Speaking of the throne is it not your wish to sit upon it?” Kufadis and Sobbash both went pale together.

Spoor’s smile fades into to a look of anger, she speaks directly to Atosuryua. “I will allow you to make one mistake. You have just made it; there will be no more allowed. That throne, a member of my clan will never sit on. We are a proud clan and governing the Empire stoops below our pride. That is what Ablïarsec were created to do, the lowly job of governing the Empire and they can have it with my blessing.”

“I understand Grand Duchess, I hope you will accept my apology. Come Sobbash, we are returning to the flagship. I await your orders.” With that Atosuryua and Sobbash leave the conference room. Kufadis stands he approaches Spoor, she is still disturbed by Atosuryua’s comments and she vents towards him. “The nerve of that women thinking I would want to sit on the Jade throne. All I want is that idiot Dusanyu out. I don’t care who they put back. Ramaj, Debeusec, It matters not to me.” Kufadis picks up the folders from the desk then he and Spoor leave the room.

Samson spots Sobbash coming from the conference room he stops her. “Well how did it go?” Sobbash just shook her head and said. “We are lucky to still be alive. She really pushed Spoor’s buttons, but we are in.” Samson looks at her and says. ”Just be careful. I want to have a drink with a friend when this is all over. Okay?” Sobbash smiles and walks towards a waiting Atosuryua.

“Jinto are we ready to leave?” Lafiel had finished packing, and then she had straightened up the shelter. She was hoping they would not be gone for long. “Jinto did you hear me? JINTO!” Jinto was returning from the garden. He had prepared it to be left unattended for awhile. He did have some fresh snap beans with him. “Lafiel I hear you. I’m coming. I’ve got a surprise for you.” She walks to the door Jinto arrives shortly there after. He shows her the beans. “These will make a wonderful stew while we are away. They are ripe and I did not want to leave them to waste.”

Lafiel unpacks a food container and put the beans in it. She repacks it back into their luggage and says. “They will be a pleasant surprise meal sometime. Jinto I’m ready to destroy the crystal, is there anything else you want to see before we leave?” Jinto looks at the crystal. “No Lafiel, crush it. Let’s be on our way I’ve checked the ship it’s ready to go.” Lafiel took the crystal from around her neck sat it on a big rock by the stream picked up another rock and crushed it. She then blew the red dust off the rocks. “All done, next stop the Hyde system.” They made a final check of the shelter picked up their bags and headed for the ship.

The departure was flawless and the trip to Hyde uneventful. Upon arrival at the Hyde system Jinto reported his arrival as required by the treaty. Normally there would be an acknowledgment from the Hyde government, this time however, a personal message awaited Jinto, a video message.

“Lafiel look at this. I’ve got a video message from the planet. I wonder what it’s about?” Lafiel walks over to the console that Jinto was looking at. “I don’t know, play it and find out Jinto.” Jinto touched the play button and a familiar face appeared on the screen. “Jinto it’s Lina, she is very sick. She wishes to see you again. You have my permission to land on the sky platform as before. But you cannot descend to the ground. No blue haired people either. No further contact can be made. Your descent to the platform will be your answer. We will see your arrival and meet you. Please hurry Jinto.” Teel’s face disappears from the screen. Jinto sit staring at the screen. He finally says, “Lina. No not Lina.”

Lafiel stands behind him she puts her arms around his neck and gently kisses him on the cheek. Then she whispered in his ear. “So you are going to head for Martine? We are about five hours out. I’ll adjust the course for you.” Jinto took her hand and said. “Yes I must go. Can you leave me for a while? I need to clear my mind, Okay?” She nods and leaves the bridge. Heading for her cabin, she was just as upset as he was, but for a different reason.

It was two hours before arrival. Jinto was still contemplating the next move when the door to the bridge opened and he heard Lafiel’s voice. “I am going with you Jinto. No argument.” Jinto still sitting at the console says. “You heard Teel no Abh’s allowed; you cannot go.” Lafiel answers his statement. “You’re wrong Jinto. He said no Blue Haired People he never used the word Abh now did he?” Jinto spun around in his chair to explain that blue haired people and Abh’s are one in the same.

What greeted him left him speechless. Lafiel was in a light blue dress and her hair was black with a bit of her blue highlight. A simple headband covered her sense organ and the top of her ears. The dress stopped at the knee it had a breezy comfortable look to it. It tucked in at the waist and the two straps held the top. She looked wonderful in it. Jinto after having a good look finally spoke “You dyed you hair and wore that dress?” he looks closer at Lafiel. “Are you wearing make-up?”

Her eyes narrow and she says. “Yes, it seems I had a couple of bruises to cover up. You have a problem with that Jinto?” Jinto had seen this look before and they were in space going toe to toe with Lafiel could be hazardous to one’s health. “No I’ve never seen you with make-up on before. In fact where did you get all of this from?” Jinto realized that some questions are best left unasked. However he had already opened his mouth on this one. Lafiel looks at him her eyes soften. She spoke one word, “Seelnay”

Jinto could not stop looking at Lafiel. It was like a different person was standing before him. Lafiel was sensing this difference in Jinto. She saw a look, she had never seen before so she questioned him on it. “Jinto what’s the matter? It’s not the first time you’ve seen me in a dress before. In fact Jinto you’ve seen me in much less. So why this strange look, what is so different…” It hit her as she spoke the words. “Jinto it’s my hair is it not? You’re fascinated with the color of my hair aren’t you Jinto Lynn!” Lafiel using his full name brought him back from where his mind had wondered. “Yes Lafiel that’s a wonderful look you have, it’s so mysterious.”

She stops him. “Don’t get use to it. I only did this so we can go see Teel and Lina, I won’t make a habit of it.” Jinto still was dreaming. She brought her point home. “Hey Jinto. You’re in love with a Blue haired Black-eyed Abh Princess. Hair color should make no difference.” She stood their, hands on hips and getting redder through the make-up by the minute. Jinto decided they would talk about this change of look later. He said. “You are right Lafiel. You look fine. I’m surprised that you colored your hair that’s all.”

She looks at him and says. “Liar. Something in that little brain of yours likes what it sees. Well look now because by the time we reach the fuel depot it will be blue again.” She walks over to Jinto bends over to his ear and says. “So I look even sexier with black hair huh? Well that explains why you could not keep your eyes off me at Clasbul then doesn’t it Jinto?” Jinto’s face went bright red he tried for the words, “No it’s not that we were younger then and I’d never seen an Abh with black hair.” Lafiel stopped him “Your eyes betray your words my love we shall talk on this subject later.” She kissed him on the cheek and sat at the console next to him.

The approach and landing at the Martine platform was a routine event. The platform was vacant. Jinto opens the door to the shuttle he turns to see Lafiel putting a laser pistol in her purse, which was a matching blue to her dress. She looks at him and says. “Well there are no guards. I thought I’d be cautious, you want one too?” Jinto shook his head. “No this is my home and we’ll not leave the platform. If you feel safer then carry it, just try not to use it Okay?” With that a noise was heard. The doors to the lift opened and there was Teel with Lina in a wheelchair. She did not look well at all. Lafiel was aghast. She had never seen such a change in a person in such a short time. Jinto walks towards them. Teel stops short, when he saw the black haired girl following Jinto. “Jinto who is she? Where is the Princess? I expected you to disobey me and bring her along or is it the two of you are.” Lafiel stops him “Hello Teel. It’s been awhile and I’m able to speak the language thanks to Jinto.” Teel looks in disbelief. “It is you. Why the disguise?”

Lafiel smiles. She looks to Lina who was smiling the whole time. She speaks it was a weak voice, but understandable. “Teel. Us girls know these things. I knew it was her from the moment she turned towards us.” Lina smiled then started to cough. Jinto walks to her side. He looks at Teel and asks. “What happened?” Teel spoke. “It’s a respiratory disease that our science has no cure for. It reduces the function of the lungs and fills them with fluid. Those afflicted drown in their own fluids.” Lafiel had come close enough to hear everything that Teel had said. She looks at Lina in sitting in that chair. Opening her purse, and before Jinto could say a thing. She had produced a medical scanner from it. She slowly scanned Lina. Then she scanned Teel. “Lafiel you should ask permission before you scan someone.” Jinto’s words fell on deaf ears. Lafiel was engrossed in the data she had just scanned.

She looks at Lina and says. “Can you excuse me for a moment. I’d like to run this data through the shuttles main computer, and I won’t be long.” Without waiting for an answer she turns and heads back to the shuttle. Jinto stood there dumbfounded. He looks at Lina she says to him. “So you taught her to speak the language. I am very proud of you, but why the black hair? Her blue hair was much prettier?” Jinto looks at Teel and Lina as he says to them. “Well it seems Teel said no Blue haired people were allowed. So she’s no longer blue haired now is she?” Lina looked at Teel. “You made such a statement? If I could get out of this chair I’d teach you.” She looks at Jinto. “She is very pretty, no matter what color her hair is. I wish I knew what she was up to?” So did Jinto. The next moment Lafiel was out of the shuttle, and headed towards them. A smile of satisfaction was on her face.

She spoke to Jinto in Abh. What she found out she wanted him to know before she said anything to Teel and Lina. “Jinto the planet has been attacked. Have a look for yourself.” She hands him the scanner. The data showed that what Lina was suffering from was a genetically engineered disease. It was reversible. Teel had it too. It had not become active within him. “Jinto how do we tell them this? You’re the diplomat, I’m a soldier how should we do this?” Lafiel looks at Teel he is becoming annoyed at this secret conversation. She nudges Jinto he notices it too. “Say nothing else Lafiel, I’ll handle this.”

Jinto looks at Teel, before he could speak Teel asks. “So how bad is it?” Jinto proceeds to explain the data that Lafiel had presented him. Teel took it all in and got a look on his face that Jinto knew well. “Those lying bastards.” Teel red faced continued. “They said it was a planetary treatment for the insect problems we were having. I trusted these Hanian bastards.” Teel looks at the two of them. Lafiel was about to speak. He held his hand up to stop her. “So can the Abh do anything for us? Is there something in your medical libraries that we can use, or are you dooming us all to death?”

Jinto looks at Lafiel and says. “It’s your discovery. You can answer his question.” Lafiel took a step back. She could have sworn Jinto said he’d take care of this and she was to be silent. She cleared her throat and spoke. “There is a cure for your aliment Teel, Lina. The processing plant has the facilities to produce enough agent to counteract the. “ She stops, looks at Jinto. The disease that befell Martine had and name and she was unsure how to say it in Jinto’s native language. Jinto sensed her dilemma and spoke. “The wheezing death.” Teel looks surprised. The words were familiar to him, he was thinking he had heard them somewhere before. Jinto answers his question. “It was the fourth Hanian rebellion.” Teel’s eyes were a blasé he remembered. The fourth rebellion was where the Hanian ruling party wiped out half of the planet's population over a difference of opinion. It was a brutal and vicious campaign their first use of genetic warfare. When they joined the United Mankind they were forbidden from ever using genetic warfare again. The Hyde system was one of three systems under Abh control but independent of Abh rule. The Hanian's were disgusted with this choice of government. So they planned to wipe the inhabitants of Martine away. This was to show their displeasure and as a warning to the other systems.

“Jinto, there must be a price for your help.” Teel was stoned faced. “Do you want Martine to join the Empire? Disband the government and accept you as our ruler?” Jinto turns and faces Teel his anger was being plainly displayed. Normally he would have been able to understand another governments comment in a different situation. But this was the man who was more a father to him than his father could ever be. For Teel to think that Jinto would hold the fate of Martine in his hands and then dictate terms of surrender was appalling. Lafiel saw Jinto’s outrage and she spoke, “Teel it’s a gift, Jinto and I want nothing more in return. Your government remains, the treaty is in force. All we wish is to save his home world. No more, No less.” She had the look of a person moved by the plight of a surface world. She was totally sincere in her words, she was being diplomatic, and Jinto was amazed. Teel was embarrassed and Lina sat crying. Lafiel sees Lina’s tears and goes to her side. Lina looks up and says to her. “I see Jinto has taught you more than just our language.” Lafiel reaches out and takes Lina’s hand it was cold to the touch. But warmed as she held it. Lafiel then says. “I know you’re the first woman in his life and I don’t feel bad knowing that he truly loves both you and Teel and would gladly give his life to save this planet and you.” Lina looks at Lafiel. She was carefully studying this face before her. It was not the face she had seen at the treaty ceremony. It was a kinder, gentler, more loving and understanding face. There was a question she wanted to ask Lafiel then. But she decided that it was not the time to ask it. She was convinced now she could ask the question with no ill response from Lafiel. “Princess, do you love Jinto?” Lafiel without hesitation answered in one-word “Yes”.

Teel stood before Jinto. He was searching for the words to express his thanks to them. All he could say was. ”Is she always like this? She did not seem this way before?” Jinto looks at him and says. “No. This is a new departure for her. She’s been searching for something and maybe she’s found it and I like it.” Teel cleared his throat; he turned towards Lafiel and Lina and spoke as the government of Martine. “Your Highness I wish to thank you for you’re generous offer of help in our time of peril. You and Jinto have been lifesavers in the most literal sense. Again the people of the planet Martine thank you both.” Lina held Lafiel’s hand. Lafiel could see the emotions cross Lina’s face. She faces Teel and says. “You’re welcome Teel, we need to proceed to the processing plant and return with the serum.” She looks at Jinto “Time marches forward. Let us be on our way so we may return soon.” Lafiel looks at Lina, she speaks softly to her. “Just a few hours and we will have you feeling better I promise.”

Teel turns to Jinto; he speaks as a head of state again. “You know there are many Abh warships in this system. More than you would ever need to protect a fuel plant. You’re up to something aren’t you?” Jinto looks with interest, he knew Teel was no fool and he figured Teel knew more than he was letting on. Teel continues. “The Abh did not defeat the Hanian fleet as you would like to think. I have it from good sources that the balance of the United Mankind fleets are headed for a common strategic target the location of it I know not, but it’s a very important target.” Jinto looks at him, he gives him a hug and thanks him. He walks towards Lina and Lafiel, he knelt down beside her wheel chair gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. He then stood, took Lafiel’s hand and bid Teel and Lina farewell. As he walked to the shuttle he glanced over his shoulder to see the two of them waving good-bye. It pleased him that they were leaving on these terms, he knew he could come back and what Lafiel had done was truly remarkable. It will be a visit he’ll remember till the day he dies.

Announcing their arrival to the fuel processing plant. They were greeted by Seelnay’s voice instructing them where to land and telling them she and Samson would meet them upon their arrival. “Your Highness it looks better on you than I could ever imagine it fits you so well and your hair the color it.”
Lafiel then realized she was still dressed for land duty. She made her mind up she was not changing. Black hair, Blue dress, that’s what she, was wearing, and that’s what everyone was going to see. She was in a hurry, the serum had to be made and delivered to Martine without loss of time. “Jinto! You can talk to them later, we have a planet to save, come on.” With that Lafiel blew past Seelnay about floored Samson. As she rounded the corner, there was Spoor and Sobbash. Sobbash stared and Spoor had to comment. “So he made you dress up like that again? Did you shoot him this time too?” Lafiel turns as she passes; she had a few words for Spoor. ”Not now Grand Duchess, I’m very busy and I NEVER shot him!” Spoor starts to giggle and Sobbash was frozen, her face expressionless, her eyes following Lafiel down the hall.

Jinto came around the corner. He had heard Spoor’s comment and Lafiel’s reply. He saw Sobbash standing there motionless he then addressed her. “Sobbash you’re telling me you’ve never seen a black haired Abh before?” Sobbash blinked twice, she had heard Jinto, she was unsure of what to say. “I… if you had told me… I never would have believed… wait till Atosuryua hears this.” She almost ran Jinto down in her haste. Jinto looks at Spoor he was candid with her. “She’s got a laser pistol in her purse. Be glad she’s had a change of heart. If this had been the first time we met, it may well have been you who was shot.” Jinto left Spoor and followed Lafiel.

Lafiel was lost. She was certain of the location of the medical facility, but now a blank hallway faced her. She consulted her creunoc. The map said she was where she should be, but the area had the look of a storeroom. “So that’s now the standard issue uniform for Admirals of the Empire.” Lafiel knew that voice; she’d known it her whole life. “Grandmother where are you?” The voice seemed to have come from everywhere. “Turn around Lafiel.” Lafiel turns and there were Ramaj, Atosuryua, and Ekuryua, standing in a door that opened into the medical facility.

“Why the camouflage?” Lafiel asked. “It’s left over from the time we had pirate trouble.” Another voice from her past, Tomasof stood inside the entrance to the facility. Jinto was next to him. “So you knew about this Jinto and you failed to inform me of it?” Jinto shakes his head and says. “You left the ship too fast. I never got to.” She gave him a look that stopped everything. “Never mind Jinto we got work to do. You do want to save Lina and Teel don’t you?”

“Calm down Your Highness the serum is ready to take back to Martine.” Ekuryua was standing there holding the chest of serum. Dr Sasoum had stepped into the room. “Count Hyde informed me of the situation on your departure. We have made enough for fifty percent of the planets worst cases. We’ve given their people the formula so they can make the rest.” Lafiel was now completely confused. Half of the medical staff at the station, she knew from her time at the Capital. But how did all these people get here why weren’t they being missed. She looks to Jinto for the answer, but it came from behind her. “There all on vacation Princess, they just happened to wind up here.” Spoor was behind her, she motioned to Ekuryua, she and the chest left the room. “Seelnay will deliver the chest and data to the planet. We need to confer with you and Count Hyde. Are you staying dressed like that? If so then follow me, if not change and Atosuryua will lead you to the conference room.” Spoor was giving orders. Lafiel did not like getting orders, and she was about to speak, when Ramaj spoke first. “Lafiel don’t worry, you look fine. Come with us we really need to confer. Time is of the essences.” Lafiel nods she stood along side Jinto. The entire party left the medical facility and went towards the conference room.

As they walked Lafiel was still uneasy as to what was this conference about? Her curiosity was getting the better of her she finally address Ramaj. “Grandmother why do you need to confer with us? It’s seems to me you know much more than Jinto and I do. Just what information do we have that you so desperately need?” Ramaj stops, she looks towards Spoor and says. “She doesn’t know does she?” Spoor stops nods to Ramaj and responds. “Correct I was planning on telling them now. Unless you see a problem with that.” Ramaj looks at Jinto and Lafiel she had a look of concern on her face, she spoke to all gathered. “The rest of you go on, Jinto, Lafiel and I need to have a talk.” Spoor and the others proceed down the hallway.

Ramaj spoke to Jinto and Lafiel. “Come with me, there’s a room down here where we can talk.” They followed Ramaj to a small room it had two tables and six chairs in it. Ramaj sat at one end of the table Jinto and Lafiel sat at the other. Ramaj asked a question of them. “How much do you two know of what is happening here?” Lafiel related the contents of the data crystal to her. Ramaj leaned back in the chair and said. “That’s only a small part of it. I’ll tell you the rest now. Do you know why we are in the position we are today?” Lafiel and Jinto shook their heads. “It was our own arrogance that brought about everything that has happened.”

She leaned forward on her chair and looked at them with concern. “I’ll explain my statement, one hundred and fifty-two years ago in a star system on the other side of the Empire a planet revolted. The course of action the commanding Admiral took was in line with the Empires rules at that time. He ordered the planet to surrender, and they refused. He gave them one warning shot. They returned fire, he leveled the planet.” Jinto and Lafiel were wide eyed. Ramaj continued, “Some of the inhabits of the planet managed to escape before the final assault. They were in orbit and asking for assistance.”

Ramaj got a pained look on her face. “This is where it all went wrong. Instead of helping, he took them into custody, pronounced the enemies of the Empire and spread them throughout the Empire. He divided families and flung the two thousand of them away just as you would empty the trash. From these survivors came the Untied Mankind. Their hatred of what we did fueled them to get revenge. The planets they wound up on they turned against the Empire. The ones that got away completely went to the outlying worlds and formed an army.”

Ramaj stops. She sees that Jinto was taking this pretty hard. Lafiel sat there holding his hand. Finally she finished. “They swore revenge against the Empire and to topple the ruling family. In the Empire there were those who were appalled, but no one spoke of it. The laws of engagement were rewritten and Terrans were allowed to be raised to the status of an Abh. We felt that this would make up for our mistake it did not. It just made the Terran’s madder. They got together with some of the out cast families within the Empire and started on two separate plans. One was a war to conquer the Empire. The other was to takeover the Empire from the inside. When the first plan, this present war, was going bad they accelerated the second plan, the takeover. “Had we not captured that ship and figured out the second plan. The Empire would have fallen. In fact it may still. Had we not been so arrogant then, most of this could have been avoided.”

She is watching them. Jinto’s color has returned and Lafiel was stead fast in holding Jinto’s hand. Ramaj realized that they were supporting each other. That there was a change in Lafiel, all this time she had not uttered a word. Instead she was being a comfort to Jinto. A smile came across her face. She looks at them and asks. “Any Questions?” Jinto said he understood what she had said. He asked if she could leave them alone for a moment. They needed to talk, before they could continue. Ramaj accepted, she also informed them that time was of the essence. Jinto said they would not be long. She left the room and said she would be waiting for them down the hall.

Once she was gone, Jinto turned to Lafiel he put his arms around her and put his head on her shoulder. She could feel the tears soaking into her dress. She just held him, when he had finally released the pain from inside. He raised his head from her shoulder and looked her in the face. Two streaks were in her make-up she had been crying too. He took a finger and wiped the tears away as he did he spoke. “Then you knew nothing of this?” Lafiel looked at him and said. “If I had know, we would have talked about it before we ever got serious.” Still focused on his eyes she asked. “Do you hate me for what my people have done to your people?”

Jinto looks at Lafiel, his eyes soften his face smiles. “No I could never hate you for that or any other reason. You and I are who we are, politics and bloodlines aside. I love you because you are you, never forget that Lafiel. You ready to go hear the rest of the plan?” Lafiel nods her head. Jinto helps fix her make-up. They leave the room, meet Ramaj and go to the conference room.

Continued in the next post

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Diaho
Site Administrator

Re: 07_Rebirth of an Empire

Post by Diaho »

As they walked through the complex Lafiel was amazed at the size of it. This was no longer a fuel processing plant. It had been transformed into a small city. Entering the transfer tube to the next section she gazed towards space. All she could see was warships. It was a grand sight and for a moment she felt the urge to return to space to once again and command a ship. She reached for Jinto’s hand and held it firmly. Jinto turns he sees her looking towards space and the assembled fleets. He was aware of what was going thru her mind. He kissed her on the cheek and said. “You really want to be with them don’t you?” She looks at him and says. “It was just for a moment a sudden urge but it has passed.” Ramaj standing behind them had a comment. “So you’ve found a way to beat the urge to go to space? You will have to tell me about it sometime.” Lafiel turns and looks at her. “Grandmother why are you here? You’re not going to fight are you?” She smiles at Lafiel and points spaceward. “That pale blue attack frigate just to the right of the gray Kal class. That’s where I’ll be.” Lafiel spots the ship; she also recognized the rest of the ships in the area. The Scourge Squadron, Atosuryua premier attack fleet. They had forged a spotless record, everything ask of them was accomplished and more, they were the pride of the Empire.

The door of the transfer tube opened to Spoor’s command center. It was a very busy place, several monitors were along the wall and personnel were seated at desks and consoles working. Spoor was standing with her back towards them conferring with several officers. As Lafiel stepped through the door a hush fell over the room. Spoor, never looked back says. “I see Count Hyde and party have arrived.” She turns towards them. “Follow me. The rest of you back to work.” Heads went back to desk and the sound level returned. They walked across the room to a large conference area. There were around forty officers assembled, and a large display screen hung from the ceiling. Spoor looks to Ramaj she inquired. “Do they know their part in this plan?” Ramaj looks back. “No, they’ve had the history lesson. I figured we let them see what were up against then they can decide for themselves. You’re not going to order them to do anything understand Spoor.” Spoor nods in agreement. Ramaj was not one to be taken lightly. Although it was Spoor’s operation, Ramaj was the glue that held it together.

The doors to the outside were closed and the lights in the room were dimmed. Spoor stood in front of the display pointer in hand. “The enemy has been silent for too long. They are on the move and we have determined the Capital is their target.” The noise level in the room rose sharply. Spoor banged her pointer against the display. “Quite! I will have Quiet in this room!” The room fell silent she continued. “The central command has managed to send the fleet guarding the Capital on a wild goose chase. The rest of the Star Forces by plan are at the far reaches of the Empire. There are two routes that can be used by the enemy to reach the Capital.” The display shows the Capital, the Hyde system and the two projected routes. “As you can see we are centrally located to the routes and the closest assembled force to the Capital. I believe the attack will be timed with the coming of age party for the Emperor’s daughter. The Capital will be distracted and any traffic through the Sord would be considered party guest. We have three days till the party to figure out which route and stop them.”

Spoor shuts the display off, and the room lights come up. She again addresses the assemble officers. “I want you to remember we are an independent fighting force. Do not try to contact any Star Forces vessel you come in contact with. They are running in communications blackout. We are not sure if the I.F.F. code we will use will prevent us from taking fire from the Star Forces. We will not engage any Star Forces vessels we come across. I want that completely understood. Our foe is the Emperor and those who support him and wish to destroy the Empire.”

She looks across the room she says again. “The future of the Empire rests in our hands, in our ability to fight and win. To the Glory of the Empire!” Everyone stands and shouts. ‘To the Glory of the Empire.’ Spoor continues. “May we be successful! Squadron commanders stay here. The rest of you contact the yardmaster. Verify your ship and be ready to depart at a moments notice. All leaves are cancelled. Dismissed!” They all stand and salute Spoor most of them leave. The squadron commanders meet with Kufadis.

Spoor approaches Jinto and Lafiel. “You want to know your part in this?” Lafiel and Jinto nod. Spoor continues. “Yours could be the most dangerous part. I need you to deliver this to Kenesh at the Capital.” Spoor holds a data crystal. “It’s coded to Kenesh’s DNA she will be the only person.” Spoor stops. “Let me add, if the child is actually made from Kenesh’s DNA she might be able to access it as well.” Jinto was puzzled he spoke. “Are you implying that she’s not theirs?” Spoor look at him. “Yes we feel she is probably a clone of the Emperor. He has use Kenesh to further his agenda we feel however she is blind to what’s going on.”

Lafiel spoke. “So that’s why he chose Father to be his Chief of Staff?” Spoor stops her. “Your father is under house arrest. As his Chief of Staff the Emperor figured that having a close rein on your father would stop your clan from getting to the truth or interfering in his plan. Dusanyu does not know, that we know all. That’s our trump card. That’s why we need you two to go to the Capital. Should we fail, you’re to deliver the crystal to Kenesh. She should arrest Dusanyu although; angered enough she may kill him. However we need him alive at all cost.”

Jinto looks at Lafiel and then to Spoor. “Grand Duchess can we have sometime to talk this out? I don’t want to jump into it.” Spoor looks at Jinto. “Be quick about it, if you agree you’ll need to leave very soon. I want to get you to the Capital well before our plan is in effect. I promised Ramaj I would in no way endanger you two. Sending you into a battle area in an unarmed shuttle would be less dangerous, than sending you to the Capital.”

Spoor had done it again. She made the trip look more dangerous than the task at hand. It was going to be risky, very risky. Jinto and Lafiel left the conference room the headed to the fuel plant office to talk there. Seelnay was doing her nails at the desk as they entered. She about dumped everything, scrambling to get to Lafiel. Jinto got between them. “I need you to wait outside and let no one in this room. Do you understand me Seelnay?” Seelnay nods. She gathers her belongings and leaves the room. Jinto sat the chairs so he and Lafiel would face each other. He sat down Lafiel sat across from him. Before he could speak she exploded.

HOUSE ARREST!? My father’s under house arrest! I’ll kill him myself, that bast…” Jinto grabs her hands. “No Lafiel! You must remember we know nothing. When we get there everything must seem normal. That’s how we must act, as we know nothing. If we do not, the plan will fail and we might die. Do you understand me Lafiel?” Jinto looks at anger, a lot of anger. “Lafiel were you this angry when I got captured at Lobnas II?” The words hit her ears, and she did a double take. “I guess I was that mad but the situation was such I could not show it.” Jinto looks at her. “It’s the same way now. If you want to get it out of your system, do it before we get to the Capital. Once there if you fly off the handle, we will be exposed and I don’t want to think about it. It’s your home world and a place I like a lot, to have bad feelings about it.”

Lafiel understood this was the diplomatic part, to know, but to work, without telling until you get what you’ve come after. As a soldier she would have charged in, now she will walk in and investigate without bringing attention to herself. “How do you do it Jinto? Being a diplomat? Don’t you ever get angry and want to take action?” Jinto smiles. “Yes I’ve been very angry at times, there’s a saying on my planet, “the pen is mightier than the sword”.

“Do you understand that statement?” Lafiel repeats it several times, and then she finally addresses Jinto. “My words carry more weight than my sword or laser pistol. Is that it Jinto? What I say means more than what I do?” Jinto smiles. “Very close Lafiel. Words and deeds go hand in hand, he or she who can get the job done without violence by using words and deeds alone then, the pen is mightier than the sword.

“Lafiel are you ready to go to the Capital?” She smiles. ”Yes, that is what I want to do. You can show me how words will save the day but just incase.” She pulls the laser pistol from her purse. “We can always do it my way.” Jinto looks at her with puzzlement his words had missed their mark. She saw his bewilderment and spoke. “It will be like Clasbul if things go bad we’ll blast our way out.” Jinto shook his head. “she still has a lot to learn” he put his arm around her and they left the room. They found Spoor she handed Lafiel the crystal. “It will be your call when Kenesh gets this. Personally I’d like to see her have it as soon as you arrive, either way. You will be there I won’t, use your best judgment.”

Approaching the launch area Jinto spots Samson and Seelnay. He and Lafiel stop and chat with them before they leave. Samson states his concerns and asks they contact him before they reached the Capital. Jinto said he would and then Samson made a comment that would be a topic of discussion their entire trip. “IS she’s going to stay that way?” Looking at Lafiel, Jinto shook his head. Samson continued. “It’s a shame, she looks really nice dressed up like that, a totally different person. I’m proud of you my boy.” Samson concluded. Lafiel had heard the entire conversation and she had questions that would be answered on the trip to the Capital.

“They’ve just departed.” Kufadis sat staring at the ceiling. He wondered what they would find at the Capital. He had grown to like Count Hyde and wished him no harm. “Commander Kufadis the shuttle has departed. Should I notify the command staff?” Kufadis returned to the task at hand. “No I’ll tell them, monitor them as long as possible report anything out of the ordinary.” Kufadis proceeds down the hall from the communications center to the command room. “They‘ve left the station.” In the dimly lit room with displays providing the light Spoor answered, “Very good Kufadis let’s get ready to depart. Hopefully the enemy will show us which route they will take and we won’t have to split our forces to cover both routes.” Kufadis stood there and spoke aloud, “There’s not been anything from the remote units not even a blip?”

“We’ve seen movement on the standard route. But the amount of ships involved. If that’s all they have left.” Atosuryua said. “NO, We’ve been fooled once before.” Spoor responds. “Let’s move the fleet to a central position and be prepared to move at a moments notice. Issue the orders Chief of Staff. We leave with in the hour.” Kufadis turns to leave he had a question. ”Do we leave a group to guard the depot, or do we all leave?” Spoor answers him. “Leave those two Kal class that just came out of repair, inform the station master of our plans and that if it looks like he in danger of being captured to destroy the station and leave on the Kal Class ships.” She turned to the staff. “If we fail, you are to destroy everything and escape to my territory on the Kal Class ships.” Kufadis left the room he had never heard Spoor talk of the possibility of defeat before this was going to be a very difficult mission ahead for all involved.

“So what did you do to get the ‘I’m proud of you my boy’ out of Samson?” Jinto never got to speak. “He thinks you’ve got me.” She stops and looks at Jinto. There was no expression on his face. He was looking at Lafiel, still in black hair and blue dress, dreaming. “JINTO LYNN!” He came to, she was furious. “I’m changing back. You’re not paying me any mind, and this conversation is not over.” She stormed off the bridge. Jinto sighed. He knew that this issue had to be resolved before they reached the Capital. “Why of all times did you have to joke with me in front of her. Why Samson?”

A damaged scout ship staggered out of the Sord. The data it contained put more worry on the command staff. The scout had come across the invasion fleet. The make up was typical, transports, destroyers, and fighters. Except for one ship. This ship was huge it was this ship that inflicted the damage to the scout ship. It was four times as big as a Kal Class and armed with a particle beam cannon of enormous power. “How far was the scout when it was fired upon?” Ramaj asked. “They were on the edge of their sensor range.” Ekuryua said. “That much damage was done by one shot at that range and it was a glancing blow at that? A direct hit.” Ramaj stops she looks at Ekuryua they speak together. “Vaporization.” Ekuryua then states. “Look at this, there is a power drop before and after the weapon is fired. I wonder how much time between shots there is. With that kind of a power consumption.” She stops. “You think. If it was pushed to it’s limit would the ship would cease to function?” Ramaj shook her head. She really did not have an answer for her. “Let’s get this to the rest of the command staff.” The two of them left and headed for the command center.

Lafiel returned to the bridge. Her look had changed along with her attitude. She was dressed in a tunic top, black uniform slacks and boots along with her natural hair color. There was a trace of make-up to cover a bruise. She was back to being herself. Jinto was at the console he had heard the door open. He knew she was back, but he would wait for her to speak to see what her mood was. “Jinto, we need to talk. After we get done with our mission. I know Samson was joking with you, but I want to discuss the responses that I’ve received from everyone at the station. Does changing my hair color make me a different person? Jinto. Do not answer me now. I’m telling you what I’m feeling. We will talk about it later, and Jinto, there will be a later, understood?” Jinto turns to face her. She was smiling and he said. “That’s a good attitude to go into this with. I heard everything you said and I’ll be happy to discuss it with you later. Okay?” She nods her approval. They were half way to the Capital when they received the message from Ramaj concerning the invasion fleet and to be very careful.

“So, they refuse to follow me!” Atosuryua was furious. Sobbash had just informed her that one ship and one squadron commander refused to take their ships from the system. “Sobbash relieve them and have them sent to the fuel processing plant. Loyal to Dusanyu? Over my dead body! Who can we make commanders?” A voice from behind her filled one of the open positions. “I’ll take charge of the squadron, Atosuryua.” Ramaj steps into view. “Fine you have one ship without a Captain who would you choose?” Atosuryua looks at Ramaj she speaks “That ship has a qualified officer, its navigator, Commander Ekuryua.” Sobbash went pale and Atosuryua said. “Fine. Assemble your squadron Ramaj.” The shuttle carried Ramaj back to the attack frigate. The ship she had designed, but never flown in. Once aboard she contacted Ekuryua and informed her of her promotion. “You have all the talent to command young one. Make us all proud of you.” Ekuryua left the command chair empty. She chose to command from the navigator’s position. It was time. The fleet moved out of the Hyde system towards an uncertain fate.

Jinto and Lafiel arrived at the Capital. Debeusec met them. It was a strained meeting Debeusec was being shadowed, his movement followed closely. Jinto and Lafiel went to the family home to relax. A note awaited them on their arrival. It stated the house was being monitored and the location of Lafiel’s brother. He was in the Dalmap System and quite safe. The party for the Princess was to begin in thirty-six hours. Jinto and Lafiel silently hoped Spoor would be successful. If not, the data crystal rested on Lafiel chest. They slept apart for the first time in months. This visit was going to test their relationship.

“Enemy in sight.” Sobbash commented. Their plan was simple. They out numbered them five to one. The Abh would concentrate on the fighting ships and leave the transports and supply ships alone. Then there was the massive battle ship to contend with. They would have to feel that one out and hope their losses where not great. There was no retreat; they would fight to the bitter end. Spoor commanded the main fleet of Kal class ships she had them spread wide and not grouped to be easy targets for the beam cannon. Atosuryua had the attack vessels intermixed with the battleships. The first objective was to render the balance of the invasion fleet immobile. The trap was set in normal space between the Sord crossings. Once the invasion fleet entered normal space. The Sords would be blocked and the fight would begin. Spoor did this for two reasons. She wanted the planets to hide among and should her fleet take damage. They could be saved easier in than in plane space. The power of the beam cannon was equal in plane or normal space. So that was never a consideration.

“Ready to commence attack. You all have your targets.” Spoor’s words echoed throughout the fleet. The first shot was from the beam cannon. It destroyed two warships with one shot. Every ship in the Abh fleet was scanning the enemy ship. The data was complied and Ekuryua’s theory had validity. The ship was shield less for thirty seconds before and during firing and fifteen seconds after firing, about a minute total it was vulnerable to attack. However the balance of the enemy fleet engaged Spoors ships. Atosuryua’s attack vessels were keeping well clear of the beam cannon ship. As the battle went on the Abh forces were gaining the upper hand. The beam cannon sliced it’s way through Spoors and Atosuryua’s ships. That ship had to be destroyed at all cost. In an attack, the ship Ekuryua commanded was damaged. She had managed to drift out of sight in the shadow of a moon.

“Can we save the ship?” She asked. “I don’t think so.” The voice from the engine room replied. “Tell me what we have engineer.” Ekuryua asked. “You’ve got three Em shots, maneuvering thrusters, navigational control but fire control is not operational. The environmental system is failing and we are having a hard time keeping the anti matter containment field up. Captain. I suggest we abandon ship before we all die.” Ekuryua looks around her. She had been in command less than twenty-four hours and she has lost her ship and was going to do anything to make anyone proud.

“Abandon ship! Get the crew off the ship now! No arguments!” Her first officer accepted the order and began clearing the ship. “Engineering load the EM shots let me know when you are ready.” The voice from engineering changed. “Noel what are you doing? The ships about to explode.” Ekuryua angered answered. “Risch I told you to abandon ship. Can’t you follow a simple order?” “Sorry, as senior gunners mate I’m not leaving without you Captain. What’s your plan?” “Look at your scanner fool.” Ekuryua said.

The beam cannon ship was directly behind them. It’s was hacking away at the fleet. Ekuryua planned to attack them from the rear and destroy them. “Noel I see. But we are pointed the wrong way and there is no main engine power.” She cut him off. “I know. Get ready to fire and when we are done here meet me at pod forty-five mid deck we will leave together.” “Understood Captain.” was Risch’s reply. On the bridge Ekuryua used total concentration, she became one with the ship. Using the thrusters she managed to slowly turn the ship from bow to stern keeping track of her target as she did. The ship's response was painfully slow. Finally the bow came out of the shadow of the moon. “Just a moment. Fire one.” The Em shot left the ship. She corrected and ordered the second and third shots. Then the main power failed. The displays went blank. She grabbed the log crystal and headed for mid deck.

“Captain were are being targeted!” Ramaj saw the beam cannon swing in her direction. “Evasive right and up” “Captain look.” From the shadows the bow of an attack vessel appears. It fires three EM rounds at the beam cannon ship. The force of the shots pushes it back into the shadows. The rounds head for their targets and hit the unprotected ship. First astern, next amidships, and the last one a direct hit to the bridge. The ship darkens and rolls to one side its shields drop and the remainder of the fleet fires with all they have at it. It explodes. The battle is almost over. Ramaj scans the area behind the moon. A ship appears, then a brilliant blue flash and it’s gone. “Captain that was Ekuryua’s ship. There are escape pods but the interference is to great to communicate with them.”

It was a formal affair. Jinto was dressed in his finest attire. Lafiel was in a beautiful pale blue dress with a matching wrap. She had a bright white handbag. Jinto saw her and said. “Very beautiful Lafiel. You look like a Princess.” Her reply was. “Well I should silly. I am one you know.” They decide to walk to the party. On the way Jinto comments, “Should I look in your bag, would I find everything we had at Clasbul?” She looks at him and says. “No you silly. This is my home world. I left out the explosives. I did bring the rest and one for you too.”

Jinto was not surprised. She said she would and she did. She never went back on her word to him. “So you’re ready for the party Lafiel?” She nods to him. “When this is over. I don’t want to see this place for a long time. Jinto you and I will see whatever we want to see. Is that alright with you?” Jinto nods as they approach the hall.

The party was boring. People were there because they had to be and not because the wanted to be. The new Princess ran around getting into mischief. She bumped into Jinto and never said a word of apology. She just kept on going. The Emperor was sitting on the throne a group of advisors surrounded him. Kenesh was nowhere to be seen. Jinto got very concerned. “Lafiel what if she.” She hushed him. “It’s normal for the biological parent to come late. In my case since I did not know Plakia was my mother.” She stops takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly and says. “She walked in at the last minute and gave me a hug. I just thought she was one of the guest I wished I had known then.” Jinto took her hand. “Be strong my love, we’ll talk about this later.” She smiled they went to a table sat down and were served dinner.

“Spoor, can you read me Spoor?” Atosuryua was perplexed the Kal class had damage to it but looks operational. The radiation released when the beam cannon exploded still had communications in a snarl. ”Admiral I’ve got Ramaj on the line she desperately wishes to speak with you.” “Put her on now.” The main viewer was fuzzy, a picture came, it was the bow of Ekuryua ship coming out from behind the moon and firing. Then the time stream changed to four minuets later there was a massive blue explosion. Sobbash shook her head and turned away Atosuryua was also moved. Ramaj’s voice came on line. “There were escape pods we need to locate and pick up our people. I can not raise Spoor so you’re next in command make a decision Atosuryua quickly!” The radiation was still too strong to launch shuttles and the pods had only limited radiation protection. Atosuryua was about to speak when. “I‘m not dead yet.” Spoor’s voice rang over the communications system. “Take three ships and open the Sord. The balance of the radiation will be drawn into it. Then we can search for our missing, communication should get better too.” The Sord opened and the cloud left. Spoor took the balance of her fleet and headed for the Capital. Sobbash and a dozen shuttles scoured the system looking for survivors. Two slightly damaged Kal class vessels stayed behind. It would be several hours before Spoor returned and some protection was needed.

The party was progressing at a snails pace. Jinto was bored to tears, while Lafiel was mingling with the gathered family members. She was doing a lot of listening and talking. Jinto realized she was being diplomatic, working the crowd. He wondered what she was talking about. He decided to join her. “Your Highness there is activity coming from the Sord.” Dusanyu stood up and approached the viewer. “That should be our guest. We shall make them welcome.” Kenesh entered the room early enough to hear Dusanyu’s speech. “Guest? I don’t remember any guest.” she thought. Lafiel spotted her and started towards her. Jinto saw her too, he was heading that way. The Emperor stood at the viewer. The young Princess stood there too. The Sord opens and Dusanyu’s jaw hits the floor. There was one battered, red, Kal class warship exiting the Sord. One by one Spoor’s ships entered the space around the Capital orbiting it completely.

Kenesh was startled. She started forward as Lafiel grabbed her arm. “Kenesh. You need to view this now.” She hands Kenesh the crystal, it glows when it contacts her hand. "DNA encrypted? Somebody went to a lot of trouble to get me this. Okay. Your Highness there’s a terminal over here this better be important!” They walk to the side of the hall. Kenesh started viewing the crystal. “Emperor they’re requesting to speak with you, the message repeats itself. Dusanyu looks at the communications officer. “Ignore them they’re here to crash the party and I won’t ha…” A disturbance from the rear of the hall stops him. “Open a channel to the Grand Duchess. NOW!” Kenesh crystal in hand approaches the viewer. “I said NOW!”

Spoor’s face appears on the screen. Two other windows open up. One contains Atosuryua and the other has Ramaj staring at Dusanyu. “Spoor you’ve got a little time to convince me. If not then I’ll shoot you from the sky myself.” Spoor’s viewer changed to the recent battle and Atosuryua commented. “We came across these vessels on the way to the Capital as you can see by the composition of the fleet it was set for invasion. We strongly believed the target to be the Capital itself.”

The room erupted in commotion. “QUIET! QUIET!” Kenesh brought the room quiet. “Continue Admiral Atosuryua” “This was their main weapon. It destroyed a lot of ships but it met its doom as well.” Ramaj then spoke. “It’s strange that the guarding fleet was sent off and even stranger that the vast majority of the Star Forces are weeks away from the Capital. Kenesh you’ve seen the evidence? I swear that what you’ve seen is all true and this invasion was known by the Emperor himself and those named on the crystal.”

There was a commotion from the rear of the hall. It seems someone wanted to leave the party and they were being detained. Lafiel had convinced the guards to let no one leave. She also had managed to get most of the people there on her side before this began. Kenesh looks Dusanyu in the face. “Is this correct? You planned this? You’ve deceived us all?” He stood there silent. The girl tugging at his robe, “Daddy. Is Mommy correct? Are you a bad person? Well are you daddy?” The silence was broken. “Yes I did all that was said, and she’s not your gene donor.”

“Liar!” The girl runs to Kenesh she hugs her tightly. Jinto approaches Kenesh, but Lafiel intercedes. ”There is one way right now to prove it. The crystal will react to her if she has the slightest trace of your DNA in her.” Kenesh looks at the girl. She then looks at Lafiel. “Darling would you hold mommy’s crystal for me?” Without hesitation the girl grabs the crystal it emits an Erie green glow.

Dusanyu was speechless. He stood there looking at the girl and the crystal. Kenesh spoke. “I knew you were up to something. This is our child. Your clone is in the lab in stasis. Which is where you should be too. How arrogant of you to send those oafs to switch children and not require them to inform you of their completion. They too are detained. I let this go for years. Wondering what you were up to. Biding my time waiting for you to show your hand. You became so cold after she was born, to all except her. So I waited. It was worth the wait.” Kenesh turns to the guards. “Remove him! Place him with the others. But by himself and watch over him carefully.” The guards left with Dusanyu. Kenesh turns back to the viewer.

“Ramaj we need to form a government. I’ll need your help in naming a new leader. What do you suggest we do?” Ramaj speaks to her. “Let’s wait till I get there. Could you have Debeusec released from house arrest?” Kenesh looks at Lafiel. “Your father. He did this to your father?” Lafiel nods. Kenesh cringed, and addresses Ramaj. “Consider him free. I await your arrival.” She had little idea of what was going on around her, and she had a big job ahead of her. The display dims and the hall remained silent.

The search for survivors was going slowly. The resources she had at her disposal limited Sobbash. It had been six hours since the battle ended. They had recovered over five hundred personnel and another one hundred were missing. Ekuryua and Risch were among those still missing. The Sord that leads to the Hyde system became active.

Three ships appear two transports and the fuel processing plants repair vessel. A familiar voice crackled in Sobbash ears. “I guess we got here in time. What can we do to help?” It was Samson. “Start a search pattern. Ekuryua is out there somewhere. I can feel it.” Sobbash replied.

“My head hurts? Where am I?” Ekuryua was coming to. Wherever she was it was dimly lit and cold. Then she noticed something. She verbalized it immediately. “Where are my clothes?” A voice close to her answered back. “So you’re awake. I was getting worried about you. It’s been six hours. Your clothes, they are next to you. Be careful your left arm is broken. I set it and gave you the warming blanket. Do you remember what happened to you?” She was thinking but it was fuzzy. “I remember firing the last shot, the displays going dead, grabbing the ships log and heading towards the escape pod. The next thing I remember is being here. So what happened?”

“I got to the pod and you weren’t there so I went looking for you. You weren’t that far from mid deck when I found you floating. Your helmet was cracked, the sleeve of your pressure suit torn. You should be glad the section of the ship had pressure in it or you would have died. I took you down the corridor and put us in the pod ejected it. About that time the ship exploded. We took damage Captain. The environmental system is operating at fifty percent and the power cell is damaged. We have maybe another four hours left. It will comfort you to know we will freeze to death before we suffocate.” Ekuryua looks at him. He was hard to see. She took her right hand and found his face it was cold and he had been crying. She pulled him under the blanket with her. “Let’s see if we can put off freezing to death for awhile.”

“Samson. Look at this.” Seelnay was pointing at a fuel trail. It was faint but fresh it came from the general location of the destroyed attack frigate. “Where’s the other end of it?” Samson inquired. Seelnay used the probe that she uses to test tanks for leaks and they started following the trail.

“Sobbash we might be on to something here. We are tracking a fuel leak from Ekuryua last known position. I’ll let you know what we find.” Sobbash smiles. “Yes let me know.” Seelnay kept going she reported her findings. “Samson we are on the right track the trail is getting stronger.” Seelnay smiles. She notified Sobbash of her position and arranged to rendezvous and search together. An hour later the pod was found. Seelnay picked up the pod and gently put in the hold. Sobbash docked with them and the three of them went to open the pod.

They found Ekuryua and Risch fast asleep. Seelnay had been so gentle on her capture and docking they had not been disturbed. Sobbash decided she was going to wake them. “Ekuryua can you hear me?” Ekuryua reached for the transmitter and felt the warm blast from the cargo hold. She turns and looks Sobbash in the eye. “You are a cruel woman Sobbash.” Sobbash looks at her and says. ”You are quite naked Ekuryua. Is this something new for you?” The sound of voices brought Risch to he sat up as well. Sobbash smiles. “Fraternizing with an enlisted person. That can get you into great trouble Captain Ekuryua.”

Ekuryua always unflappable and poker faced answered. “Enlisted? No I promoted him for saving his Captain’s life and risking his life to destroy.” She stops and looks at Sobbash again. “We did destroy it?” Sobbash answers. “Yes you did young one. Yes you did. You are a hero. You’ll be the toast of the Empire as soon as you put some clothes on.” Sobbash chuckles and walks away. Samson tosses two sets of coveralls in the pod and says. “Come to the bridge when you get those on. I’m sure there are people at the Capital that would like to see you Captain.”

Risch helped Ekuryua into the coveralls. Then he dressed himself. On their way to the bridge he asked her a question. “Does this mean we are going to keep seeing each other?” Ekuryua took her good arm and put it around him. She looks in the face and replies. “You and I are heroes. Yes we will be together and I thank you for saving my life. You took Sobbash’s teasing well. This means you have great promise.” She kissed him on the cheek and they continued towards the bridge.

Ramaj arrived at the capital. She met with Kenesh. Debeusec arrived shortly there after. Jinto and Lafiel were heading towards the great council chamber. This is where the members of the Ablïarsec families meet to carry out all matters related to the clan. It was the same place Lafiel had gained her flyer wings. Awesome was a word to describe it. There were eight places one for each member of the Ablïarsec clan seven of the family members had arrived. Members of Dasanyu’s clan refused to take part in the meeting. They still were not convinced of the facts presented. What was to happen was the choosing of a leader. Sitting off to one side Jinto and Lafiel watched as the members of the seven clans arrived.

They were all seated and the session was called to order. Ramaj presented Spoor’s evidence. Afterwards a heated discussion began on how to prevent this from ever happening again. The infighting had gone on for an hour and Jinto was tiring of the bickering. He looked to Lafiel who was sitting at his side, “Are they always like this?”

“No.” Lafiel said. “I’ve never seen such a display from them in my life. It’s like watching children argue over a melting desert. I’m quite disgusted.” Jinto looks around the room he spots the people he wanted to be there. Ramaj, Debeusec and Kenesh. He looks at Lafiel. “It’s time to put an end to this follow my lead.” She looks at him and smiles. “I’m right behind you Jinto.” They arose and walked towards the center of the chamber. As they came into view the members stopped arguing and started watching.

Jinto and Lafiel stood in the center of the chamber now all eyes were on them. Jinto spoke. “I believe we are here to appoint a ruler for this Empire. Not to argue old news. To that end the Viscountess and I would like to purpose a ruling council composed of the following members. Debeusec, Kenesh and Ramaj.” The grumbling started. Jinto continued. “I KNOW. Kenesh is not an Ablïarsec. But she has current knowledge of the operations of the Empire. Ramaj has the experience of being Empress and Debeusec will be the tie breaker.” Jinto looks over towards the three of them. Kenesh was in shock Ramaj nods her approval and Debeusec shot him a look.

Jinto turns back towards the council. “I feel that this is a good balance and that until a proper successor can be chosen these three will serve the best interests of the Empire.” Jinto had finished. Lafiel had been quietly steadfast by his side. The members of the council took note of what was said. The most senior member however had one question. “Count Hyde? You said you and the Viscountess were in agreement on this. However it was your words we heard. I’d like to heard from the Viscountess before we decide.” Jinto had a feeling they would want to hear from Lafiel. He looked towards her. There was determination in her eyes and not fear. He spoke to her. “You ready to do this Lafiel?” She stepped forward.

“I’ve have sat here quietly for an hour and watched you act like children.” Jinto cringed. She was not going to be very diplomatic. Lafiel went on. “Thanks to a lot of decisions from this room. About the way this Empire treats others. Half of known space despises us. It’s not because we are strong or powerful but because we are arrogant and ignorant of the feelings of others. I’ve been to enough surface worlds to know we in the Empire could have many friends and allies if we only stepped off the arrogant position that Abh’s are superior to all and none other can have the status of the Abh.” She continued.

“There are planets and people who would lovingly embrace this Empire if it took a change in direction. To that end Kenesh Ramaj and Debeusec have those qualities. We’ve suffered a long and costly war. We have lost much. We need the other worlds help to survive. Treaties need to be formed alliances made and nurtured. To that end I volunteer Count Hyde and myself to serve as ambassadors of the Empire. To rebuild the Empire for the common good of all.” Lafiel finished she stood next to Jinto and took his hand. She whispered to him. “How did I do?” He squeezed her hand and replied. “Wonderful. You were wonderful Lafiel.”

They stood in the center surrounded by the great council awaiting the answer to the suggestion they just made. It was not a long wait. “It is the decision of this council that the plan and suggestions of Count Hyde and the Princess Lafiel Ablïarsec be unanimously accepted. The revamping of the Empire will commence without delay. It is also the decision of this council that the Count and the Princess be made official ambassadors of the Empire.” The senior member cleared his throat and spoke again this time directly at Jinto and Lafiel. “You two can make or break this Empire with your actions. Go and make us all proud of you.” The meeting was adjourned all parties left. Jinto and Lafiel went with Kenesh, Ramaj and Debeusec back to the throne room.

The five of them stood there and gazed at the jade throne. Ramaj spoke. “The future of this Empire rest squarely on our shoulders. Working together and in harmony we can rebuild it back to a greatness never seen before. Greatness. Without war or strife.” She looks at Jinto and Lafiel. “A diplomat? I never thought my grand daughter would wind up a diplomat? Empress maybe. But it’s your life. If you are truly happy with your choice then you have my blessing. A voice from the back rang in as well. “Yes my daughter if you are truly happy. You have my blessing and support.”

“Are you going to remain in the Capital?” Kenesh asked. Jinto and Lafiel answered in unison. “No we have a place where we can entertain guest at.” They stop, look at each other and laugh. The other three were confused. Jinto finally explained that the planet would be a better place to negotiate with Terran’s than the Capital would be.

Debeusec spoke up, “You don’t have a lot of room there is no official meeting rooms or guest quarters unless you were planning on.” Jinto picked up on his thought. “Putting an addition on the shelter extending it parallel to the path and towards the dock.” Debeusec nods in agreement. ”I’ll get the materials and a crew together.” Jinto stops him. “It’s something Lafiel and I would want to do. There will be so much more meaning if we put it together just the two of us.”
Debeusec agreed. “How about a separate building connected by a covered walkway then you would still have your privacy.” In the mean time Lafiel had gotten close enough to hear most of the conversation. She wanted to make a couple of points. “Two things Jinto. It does not block our view of the sunset and it has plenty of windows so we can put plants inside.” They both look at Lafiel and smile. “As you wish my Princess.” was their reply.

Jinto and Lafiel spent a week at the Capital reviewing the new direction the Empire was embarking on. Debeusec informed Jinto that the materials he requested were ready for transport and that thanks to Spoor’s generous contribution to the fuel plants funding. Jinto was in the black. Jinto asked what Spoor was up to. Debeusec said she was put in charge of training the Star Forces in first contact protocols so there would be no more misunderstandings. Jinto thought. “That should prove interesting I’d like to see that.”

The time for them to depart for the planet was fast approaching. There was not enough time for good byes. The
shuttle along with a supply ship left the Capital. The trip was uneventful they were both very tired upon arrival. After a couple of days rest then about a week or two to assemble the addition then they should be ready for visitors.

Standing side-by-side watching the first sunset of their new mission, Lafiel took Jinto’s arm. She put her head on his shoulder and said. “Wow. We really are ambassadors. We can shape the future of the Empire. I’m happy I could not see the future. For had I saw this when I first met you. I would have run so far and fast you would have never caught me.” Jinto smiles he says. “Fate does strange things. I’m glad we can work together and be productive.” The sun had set. It was getting cold. They went inside, the future was theirs to shape.

To be continued in: The Ambassadors

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."