16_The Voyage Home

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

16_The Voyage Home

Post by Diaho »

The Voyage Home

“Ramaj we have a problem. Admiral Nastoyia’s fleet is heading for the Sol-Eros Sord and they are maintaining communications blackout.” Ramaj sits at her desk. This is the latest in a rash of problems that have occurred. “Who ordered her to leave her assigned station? Just what does she think she’s doing?” Looking at the fleet disbursement chart Ramaj says, “Move Trife, Kotoponi and Bebaus to fill the void left by Nastoyia’s sudden departure. Then find out who issued those orders.” She raises her eyes to meet Kenesh’s “Any word on the Sol-Eros expedition?” Kenesh shakes her head. Ramaj looks to the ceiling, “Very well you are dismissed, and find out who gave those orders!” Kenesh leaves the room Ramaj continues to stare at the ceiling. She utters one word “Lafiel.”

“Princess, the council has consulted long and hard, and we wish to discuss our thoughts with you.” Li stood waiting for Lafiel to respond. Half asleep and still exhausted Lafiel woke Jinto and followed Li to the council chamber Ekuryua was not far behind. Entering the council chamber their Scholar stood. A display draped in a sheet was behind her. “Princess we have studied the fleet approaching this system. They are formidable and we wish to escape here undetected so I’ve concocted a plan that will give us enough time to evade your fleet. Before I display our plan I want to say something, Princess you have won the hearts of the people with your unselfish attitude. So we have decided to help you and us with this plan to cover our tracks.” Scholar removes the sheet. Lafiel is appalled with what she sees.

“We plan on fooling your fleet by letting them think we are all dead. To this end we will leave our dead strewn about the village. I’ll leave the planetary defenses on. Control them from just inside the Sord leading from this system. As your fleet approaches, I’ll let them have a good scan of the planet and if they get too close. I’ll one up on them with the defensive grid. I guarantee no harm will come to them and after that little display. The reactor on the surface will chain react and explode. Our dead will be vaporized along with the village and your people will think we’ve all died.”

Scholar turns back to Lafiel. She sees the look on her face. “I see you do have a heart Princess. Trust me. If our ancestors could speak they would approve of this action I purpose. It also frees your people to help us get out of here sooner.” Lafiel says to Scholar. “Can I sleep on this? Right now my decision wouldn’t be very rational.” Scholar smiles. “Sleep all you want, the plan will go on. I just wanted you to know so the sight of canisters lying around the village wouldn’t upset you. As for firing on your incoming fleet, if Captain Ekuryua could help me I’ll make sure to target non life threatening parts of the ships.” Lafiel looks at Ekuryua. “I guess you’d better help her although.” Ekuryua smiles. “Not now, this is their battle. We’ll get our chance soon enough.”

“I’ve located everyone but the Princess and her expedition. Spoor’s out of commission again. She resting in her territory. However Commander Kufadis intercepted orders to Admiral Nastoyia they say.” She hands the note to Ramaj. “You have got to be kidding! Use deadly force against our own people? Find out who issued those orders. Anything happens to that fleet and I’ll personally draw and quarter Nastoyia while the one who gave her those orders watches.” Ramaj is incensed. She presses a COM link. “Find my son and have him report to me at once!” The light went out, the voice on the other end is in too much of a hurry to answer. She looks at Kenesh. “Good work. Now keep on it. This just went to the top of the priority list.” Kenesh leaves the office she almost knocks Debeusec off his feet.

Side stepping Kenesh. Debeusec enters Ramaj’s office. “Good you’re here.” She hands him the note. “Some fool has signed their death warrant. Any harm comes to that child or any members of her expedition and I’ll.” Debeusec cuts her off. “Mother. Find out whom, and then plan your revenge. That’s what you taught me and that’s what I taught my children. There is more besides this note isn’t there?” Ramaj nods. “I’ve had to move fleets around to fill in for Nastoyia’s sudden departure. Take your fleet and become a buffer between the Capital and the central Sords. Nothing may happen then again you’ll be in a better position to move rapidly than being here at the Capital.” Debeusec nods, he turns to leave and says. “Mother. Lafiel is fine I can feel it. You’ll have to trust me.” He leaves. Ramaj stares at the note. The words, deadly force, pierce her heart like daggers.

“Yes Admiral we will launch as soon as you are aboard.” Debeusec then says. “Once we are underway open a secure channel to my son. I wish to speak with him. Then tell the crew they be informed of the mission once we are underway. I’ll be aboard shortly.” “As you wish Your Highness. I will obey your command.” The link close and Debeusec gathers his belongings and proceeds to the flagship. His only thoughts come from the note he’s read. “Abh’s don’t order Abh’s to kill Abh’s.” It is something that the first Emperor said. It has held true until now. Aboard the flagship Debeusec’s fleet heads for the assigned area. The crew is told of the orders given Nastoyia and their reason for deployment and nothing more.

“Captain your father is on a secure channel. He’s not taking no for an answer.” Duhiel sits up in bed looking at the time. He’s was asleep about one hour. “Well I’ve done with less sleep before.” “Put my father on.” The display flickers and flashes. Duhiel realizes his father is no longer at the Capital. “Sorry Duhiel I make this short. Your sister is missing somewhere near Sol-Eros. The Star Forces were searching the area. Then suddenly Admiral Nastoyia was sent orders to.” Debeusec paused his demeanor changed the stress begins to show. “Son not only is your sister missing. She is in grave danger. There is a complete data file attached study it. Do not share the information and only contact me if you see your sister.” Debeusec’s face vanishes from the display. Then it goes dark.

Duhiel opens the data file he spends the next two hours going over the information his father has provided. At the bottom of the report written in Debeusec’s hand is this note; “Son trust no one. I can not tell you who is friend and who is foe. Your sister has opened up a hornet’s nest, which I feel she is completely unaware of. If you see her before I do, show her this data. I continue to feel she still lives. Father.” Duhiel lays back on his bunk thoughts race through his mind. Slowly they are replaced by exhaustion. He sleeps but it is not restful.

Ekuryua had just returned from taking Samson, Seelnay and Ku’s body to Sobbash’s ship. Sobbash, carrying a letter from Lafiel, has taken the larger of the two transports and headed to the Hyde System via Deltoke. The plan was to load the transport with supplies. Gather all the operational ships Sobbash could find and rendezvous with Lafiel in three weeks just outside the Sord Vorash transfer point.

Back on the surface the four of them conferred in the shuttle. Jinto had just returned from having his bandage removed and was slowly moving his shoulder. “Ekuryua did everything go well?” She nods. “Yeah it went off without a hitch. Although that’s the first time I’ve carried the dead in a ship. Seelnay seemed relieved to be heading back. She told me that she would return with Sobbash and that she had an “unsettled” score to settle?” Ekuryua looks at Jinto her face is confused. “What’s the problem Ekuryua?”

Leaning back in the shuttle seat she says. “Lafiel. I need to pose a question to you and you alone.” Ekuryua glances at Jinto and Risch. “You guys stay out of this till I tell you, okay?” Risch and Jinto nod. Ekuryua turns back to Lafiel. “Assume the guys aren’t here and follow this line of logic. Put yourself in Seelnay’s present position. Tonight will be the fifth day since Ku was killed. You just left this planet with the body headed for his burial. Would you be in the back of the shuttle humming along as if nothing had happened?”

Lafiel raises an eyebrow. “You’re kidding?” Ekuryua shakes her head. “Worried Samson too. The other thing she was doing and I had to ask her twice to stop. She sat there gently overriding my control inputs. It was a strange sensation. Almost like flight school when you tried to joyride the simulator and the master computer would take over.” Ekuryua takes a more serious tone. “Lafiel. If she comes back and you find those responsible. Seelnay might beat you to your revenge. That’s my take on the subject. Anybody else want to comment?”

Jinto and Risch sat staring at Ekuryua. The picture she just painted was scary at best and terrifying at worst. It was Lafiel who finally spoke. “I’m glad you shared that with us Ekuryua. Right now we got bigger problems, Nastoyia is headed this way I want to be out of the system at least thirty-six hours before she arrives. Most of the engine exhaust will have dissipated by then and given the suns radical radiation output she’ll have a hard time tracking us.”

Ekuryua says. “So you’re not going to use Scholars diversion? Leave the planet looking as if everyone died?” Lafiel leans back in her chair. “You think that plan will work? You really think Nastoyia will buy it? She’s not as foolish as you might think. I don’t know Ekuryua it doesn’t feel right. She’s going to get here and see a lot dead people and nothing else. Would that convince you?”

Ekuryua leans back. “There is a wrecked Imperial shuttle not far from here. Wonder what that would do to her outlook on things?” Lafiel ponders Ekuryua’s words. “Let me think about it. Right now we need to get the transport down here and loaded. How soon before the villagers are ready?” Jinto looks at the timetable revision from Scholar. “Maybe tonight Lafiel. I haven’t spoken with Scholar today so I’m not sure.” Risch comments. “I wish they would get started. The sooner they get loading. The sooner I can dismantle some of the equipment. I’m kind of stuck.”

Lafiel makes note of Risch’s words. “Well sitting around here is not getting anything done its almost dusk. We’ll head into the village and check on their progress. At least this landing site offers us a short distance to travel and the trees do offer some protection.” Jinto still rubbing his shoulder says. “It’s still brutal outside. Protective clothing cover or not I sunburned my arm getting here from the village earlier. If it weren’t for the reflective tent beside the forest, you guys would have fried before Ekuryua returned. We’ve got to remember to be careful. We only have a fixed number of hours in a day we can use. We’ve got to make the best of them.” The other three agree with Jinto’s words.

“Commander Ekuryua, please respond.” Ekuryua opens a link “Go ahead.” From the research vessel that’s been in low orbit over Sol-Eros scanning the planet and collecting data it’s Captain has new information that will shape all further decisions. “We’ve concluded that recent scans confirm this planet is ready to become seismically active. Most of the activity should be on the other side of the planet. But there is a large geographical fault that runs through the village. The cave the reactor sits in is on the fault line.”

Ekuryua brings the shuttle’s sensors on line. There is a faint disturbance in the ground. Calculating the measurement she says. “That’s a sizable disturbance. Jinto take a look at this.” Jinto steps along side her and glances at the display. “That’s not good. See how the disturbance is radiating out. If it hit this fault line here with any strength, this area could very well slide into the ocean.” Lafiel is confused. “How can something happening on the other side of the planet concern us?”

Jinto looks at her, “Think of this planet as an egg. You know how when you first put pressure on it. The damage is localized to the point of impact, and then as you add pressure the egg fractures and breaks open?” Lafiel nods. Jinto continues. “Surface worlds are the same way the outer crust is like the eggshell and the molten center is like the egg yoke. Remember the first time you over boiled the eggs what happened?” Lafiel nods she finishes. “That’s what’s happening here the center is boiling and the egg is cracking.” Jinto kisses her. “Correct your are correct, so we need to get moving before the egg cracks to where we are.” Jinto looks at Ekuryua put that in hard copy form we will take it to the village. Ekuryua complies with Jinto’s request.

“You felt that Priestess?” Erin nods. “It’s from the other side of the planet but the strength and duration concern me.” Scholar scans the planet. “Why now, after all these centuries of being silent.” She shakes her head. “Call the Abh we need to go quickly. We might have hours it depends on the intensity and duration on the next quake.” Erin goes to leave the chamber as Jinto and Lafiel enter. Lafiel and Erin speak as one. “We need to get off this planet.” The two of them stop look at each other and smile. Lafiel says. “I guess we don’t need to explain to you?” Erin smiles. “No, you can show Scholar any data you have.” Jinto moves towards Scholar he placed the tracing on the table. Scholar looks at it and compares it to her display. “From the comparison of these two my last words stand. We need to leave as soon as possible.”

“You’re invited to the party if you plan on attending meet me at Ku’s in three weeks. Bring no other uninvited guest lest you value your life.” The message from Lafiel sat on Kufadis display. The Lashkau was docked at Spoor’s orbital station. Spoor was with her parents. Her condition was improving along with her ice cream consumption. Kufadis had thirty hours to decide whether or not to take up Lafiel on her invitation. Past that time he’d miss the rendezvous. The green light on his console flashed, that was a direct link to Spoor. He pressed it and Spoor appears.

“Hello Kufadis how are you?” She could tell by his look what was the matter so before he could answer she spoke. “I’ll be fine, take the ship Commodore Kufadis. Join Her Highness little party and make me proud.” Kufadis sat in shock. “Commodore by whose authority did.” She interrupts him. “It’s my ship. I am a fleet officer and it’s only temporary. Kufadis I can’t make you an Admiral, if you’re going to face Nastoyia you’ll need all the luck and skill you have. A little extra rank won’t hurt.”

Kufadis smiles. “I won’t disappoint you Admiral.” Spoor smiles. “When you get there you’ll have ships to command it’s seems fifty-five Kal Class battle ships just arrived at the Hyde fuel depot. I figure that’s where the Princess will get her party goers from. So when you get to the party you won’t be alone.” Kufadis shakes his head. “I guess you really love me Painiach. I’ll take care of everything.” A serious Spoor greets that statement. “Kufadis you’ve served with me for a long time. I do love you that’s why I’ve given you every advantage except me being there. Do nothing foolish my love. I’ll see you soon.” The display goes dark. Kufadis gives orders for the Lashkau to depart. They leave with in an hour.

Looking into space Spoor sees the Lashkau emerge from its berth and slowly leave the station. She turns from the window and faces her mother. “I’ve done all I can do I’ve given him the best commanders and ships I could find. It’s up to him to keep them all safe.”

Doryuni is confused she quizzes Spoor some more. “You are healthy enough to go why are you staying?” Spoor shakes her head. “I know too much mother. This encounter is going to be very messy. Me being here it’s the only logical solution. There is no other way Kufadis is a good and fair officer. He’ll make sure justice is served.”

Doryuni muses. “Justice? Since when has that had any meaning to you?” Spoor shakes her head. “I’ve said too much. Just ignore what I’ve told you.” She lies back in bed. “I’m tired mother could you please leave me.” Doryuni leaves. Spoor lays there the tears streaking down her face. “Forgive me Kufadis. I couldn’t tell you everything. I guess you’ll find out soon enough. Please don’t hate me.”

“Commander if you feel you’re not able to land where I requested then...” The transport commander’s face grows pale. “You misunderstood me Your Highness. My ability is not in question. I question making the approach under cloud cover. Can’t we wait till.” Lafiel steps up to the display. “This planet is becoming more unstable by the minute. We risk losing everything. You’ve already wasted five precious minutes with this discussion. Commander, bring your transport to the surface. Now! This discussion ends.” The commander motions to the navigator, “We are on our way Your Highness. I’m sorry I didn’t realize the gravity of the situation. Accept my apologies.” The display goes blank. Lafiel spins on her heels and returns to the council chamber.

“Lafiel is the transport on the way?” Lafiel nods as she walks past Jinto. “Priestess the transport should be here shortly. I suggest we gather your belongings and start taking them to the beach.” Erin smiles. “Most of it is already there. All we need is to finish clearing the council chamber. Scholar, are you ready to disconnect the observation devices and have the sensor array taken down?” Scholar nods. Erin continues. “Your Highness we can load the transport. All we need now is the time to do it.” Erin looks to Scholar. “Another one. I can feel it. This one grows closer.” Scholar nods. “Come lets gather the rest of this and get it outside.” Lafiel and Jinto stay and help Erin and Scholar.

Ekuryua goes with Risch to dismantle the sensor array. Standing at the array Ekuryua comments. “I wonder how those two can sense something on the other side of the planet.” Her words stop as the ground beneath their feet shakes for just a moment. Risch looks at her. “Doesn’t matter how. We can find that out later. Right now we need to disconnect this feed and pull these panels.” Ekuryua nods they start dismantling the array. As they finish dismantling the array several villagers show up they help carry away the components.

Ekuryua and Risch survey the place where the array stood. Checking carefully, they pack up the final components and head back for the village. The boom of the transport entering the atmosphere is heard as the cloud cover slowly parts. Ekuryua looks skyward. “Wonder if they made that happen too?” Risch shakes his head. “Don’t know and right now don’t care. Noel we need to get off this planet before it hurts anyone else.” Ekuryua quietly walks the rest of the way back. Even though she doesn’t speak. Her mind is desperately trying to make sense of this planet and these people. Seeing that she’ll have them on the same planet as Jinto and Lafiel are. She wants to make absolutely sure they pose no threat to them.

Returning to the village. They see most of the council chamber has been packed and is being carried towards the beach. The secondary boom of the transport passing overhead can be heard. Looking skyward Ekuryua picks it up crossing over the horizon and turning to land. Risch see this too. “Ought to be landing shortly. Guess we need to find Jinto and Lafiel and see what’s next?”

Admiral Nastoyia sat in her quarters fuming. Her sleep had been interrupted by the announcement her ship and fleet were being commandeered by a senior member of the royal family. A shuttle arrived and she was immediately confined to her quarters. The fleet has been in plane space for the past three days. Their destination yet to be divulged to her. She opens the door to her quarters. An armed member of the R.G.C.I.S. stops her. “Admiral, return to your quarters and shut the door. This will be your first and last warning.” Admiral Nastoyia returns to her quarters. The door shuts.

“Excellency. The message has been sent and we have acknowledged it.” Sitting in the center seat rubbing his chin a senior member of the royal family sits. His bushy eyebrows and droopy eyelids betray his advanced years. Other than that he looks no older than the yeoman who stands next to him. “That’s good now keep observing. If Ramaj is going to defend her grand daughter, then the guarding fleet should be coming through the Sord in a matter of hours.” The tactical officer quizzes the commander. “What is our objective Excellency? What is going on?”

From the center seat the seated figure stands and walks over to the tactical officer. He bends over and his ears show, they are very red. “Our objective is to remove a blight from the face of the Empire. If that means firing on Abh ships then we fire on Abh ships. If you cannot carry out my orders tell me now. Because if I order you to fire and you hesitate you will die where you sit, are there any questions?” The tactical officer shakes his head. His Excellency turns to the rest of the bridge crew. “I want to know if any of you cannot carry out my orders. I’ll replace you now, but comes the time to act and you hesitate, you will die.” Silence fills the bridge, his Excellency returns to the center seat.

“Maintain communications blackout and best speed to Sol-Eros.” The crew obeys; shock dictates they do nothing else. They are three and a half days from Sol-Eros and headed for an unknown confrontation. With a commander none of them know. Silence is all that’s heard aboard the flagship.

“Seelnay the shuttle is here.” Seelnay sits in her quarters. This shuttle is coming from Deltoke. Its only purpose is to take Ku’s body home for his friends to bury. Seelnay will not be accompanying him home. She has another matter to tend to at the Hyde fuel depot. Reaching for the button she presses it and says. “Thank you Admiral Sobbash. I’ll be in the docking bay shortly.” She stands, adjusts her dress and lowers a veil over her face. It’s the custom of Ku’s people for the widow to have a veiled face. The shuttle lands in the docking bay. Seelnay greets Ku’s business manager, and they exchange a few words. He watches as Ku’s body is loaded, then hugs Seelnay and says. “Everything is arranged. It will go as you have directed. How soon will you be returning? You now have a business to run.” Seelnay slowly shakes her head. “I know nothing of this business. But you do. You shall run it for Ku’s child and myself.”

Stunned the business manager looks at Seelnay. “You’re pregnant? That means there is an heir to his estate. Well this puts a different light on things.” He takes Seelnay’s hand. “You’re a remarkable woman. But you now have the interest of the child to consider. As Ku’s friend and business manager I wish you wouldn’t leave this planet. You risk so much if you do.” Seelnay puts her other hand over his. “What I must do only I can. There will be no peace for this child or me until I’ve completed this journey. Go bury Ku and I’ll be in contact with you soon.” She releases her grip on his hand. He backs away, nods and enters the shuttle. Seelnay leaves the docking bay and watches as the shuttle departs. Removing the veil. She returns to her quarters. Before she arrives Sobbash stops her.

“Seelnay promise me something.” Seelnay stops and raises her eyes to meet Sobbash’s. “What do you wish from me Admiral Sobbash?” Sobbash looks into Seelnay’s eyes. They are deep, dark and very foreboding. “Promise me you’ll take no actions without consulting me first.” Seelnay smiles. “Sorry Admiral. No can do I have no idea what we’ll find, but I’ll exercise some caution. Those responsible for this will not escape unharmed. I’ll refrain from overly violent actions. But that’s all I’ll promise and of course I’ll never jeopardize Her Highness mission or those around me.” Seelnay turns and walks away. Sobbash stands there assessing what she just heard. It leaves her feeling extremely uneasy.

The transports’ landing was uneventful. It pulled close to the shore and the massive cranes started loading the personal belongings and artifacts of the people of Sol-Eros. Jinto sat watching the process Lafiel stood behind him. “Is this how it was on Lobnas II?” Jinto nods. “At first this was the way it went, however once the rebellion started and the transports started taking fire then it got very hectic.” He looks up to Lafiel she is watching with great intent. “Lafiel when you finished the loading? What did you see?”

Lafiel stood still watching the crane. “Jinto it was horrible. The people were on very unsteady rafts floating out to the transports. You could see and hear gunfire in the distance and there was this smell. At first, I didn’t know what it was, but when I returned to look for you. I smelled it again. It was Tomasof who explained the smell of death to me. Jinto those thoughts will never leave my mind. This evacuation has to go off without any more problems or I’ll never be able to do anything like this again.” Lafiel was still watching a single tear dribbled down her cheek. Jinto reached up and wiped it from her face. “Concern and emotion are good things to have Lafiel. Just balance them with common sense. Don’t let the emotions get in the way.” She smiles turns and heads back to the village. There were three hours before sunrise.

Kenesh sat poring over reports from with in the Empire. She was in search of something out of the ordinary. Something. It was habit for certain royal kingdoms to report when they felt like it so Kenesh’s request for everyone to submit information came as a shock. Most kingdoms and territories had replied but two had not. The information bureau had determined that the head of one of the royal families was not with in his territory. In fact it seemed that his information officer was deliberately hiding his whereabouts from them. Kenesh has sent a small craft to investigate. They had just cleared the Sord and were transmitting to the Capital. Kenesh’s chief of staff came rushing down the hall. The news she carried did not sit well with Kenesh. “All of this is confirmed? There are no errors?”

The Chief of Staff nods. “Admiral you better look at the second report it is more foreboding than the first.” Kenesh reads the second report she shakes her head from side to side rapidly. She stands and faces her Chief. “This stays here, no one else is to know.” The Chief nods and Kenesh leaves as she does she says. “You know where I’ll be.”

Ramaj stands looking out the window towards the shipyards that are being flooded by the reflected light from the Capital. Kenesh enters the room unnoticed and stands next to Ramaj. “Its such a wondrous view the shipyards. One sign of the Empires prosperity and might.” Ramaj nods. “You didn’t come here to admire the view. What news do you bring?”

Kenesh hands Ramaj the reports she’s put the most distressing one on the bottom. “Read them both and carefully.” The light through the window illuminates the pages as Ramaj reads her expression changes. The calm is being slowly replaced by rage

Finishing both reports she says. “Now we know whom and why. It seems I’ve grossly underestimated my grand daughters intuition. Nastoyia was commandeered and Lafiel is gathering a defensive fleet.” Ramaj looks at Kenesh. She must know who is at the bottom of this as well. But where is she going and where does she plan on confronting him?”

Kenesh shakes her head. “Without Spoor’s timely information and Sobbash’s silence. I have no idea.” Kenesh places a hand on Ramaj’s shoulder. “Do we send her help or do we just sit and wait?” Ramaj reviews both reports. “We wait. If the report from the Hyde system is correct that’s where she’s gathering her fleet. I just hope she knows who her opponent is. Because if she thinks its Nastoyia she got a big surprise coming.”

Ramaj steps towards her desk she places the reports on the tabletop. “How many know of these reports?” Kenesh steps next to her. “No more than five people why do you ask?” Ramaj turns the print side down and places a book a top them. “No one else is to know. We need to let him think we are unaware of his actions and hopefully all of his confederates will come to this party.”

Kenesh stares Ramaj in the face. “You would sacrifice your grand daughter to.” Ramaj glares at her. “You are not an Ablïarsec so I will excuse this outburst of yours this one time only. Lafiel is aware of her responsibilities to this Empire and to her clan. If she’s not aware of her opponent then she has failed in her training and deserves her fate. I don’t expect you to understand Kenesh but I do expect you to obey my wishes in this matter and you are not to interfere. Is that understood?”

Kenesh nods and leaves the room. Ramaj returns her gaze to space. It’s so cold, lonely and beautiful all at the same time. “Lafiel forgive me. But this time, you are completely on your own. If this proves correct then maybe there can be peace within the Empire again.” The stars sit motionless and the shipyard has disappeared behind the gigantic space city. Darkness returns to Ramaj’s office. She sits and stares at the book covering the reports.

Clearing the Hyde Sord. Admiral Sobbash, stares in amazement. The system was crowded with warships. Raising her Chief of Staff she got filled in on the latest population explosion. “Admiral they started showing up around thirty hours ago. According to their orders they are suppose to be in rotation from patrol to the R&R facility. How they wound up here I haven’t a clue.” Sobbash scanned the area she picked out at least fifty Kal class battle ships, another hundred attack frigates, transports, refueling and recon vessels. There were at least three hundred vessels of various shapes sizes and functions surrounding the depot. Looking at Samson she comments. “Why does this have Spoor written all over it?” Samson is communicating with Paveryua. He’s not heard Sobbash’s comment.

She returns to her Chief of Staff. “We'll be there with in the hour. How’s Atosuryua holding up?” “Admiral she’s going to be a big problem. She’s managed to get word to the Capital about you confining her to the brig. Although we’ve not heard anything, I figure you’re probably in hot water over this.” Sobbash nods. “We’ll take things one step at a time I’ll see you soon. Sobbash out.”

Seelnay who was sitting in the tactical officers station moves over to Sobbash. “The Baroness Febdash won’t be a problem. I’ll see to that. You worry about getting the supplies and this fleet back to cover Her Highness.” Sobbash looks at Seelnay. “How can you make a statement like that?” Seelnay looks Sobbash in the face. “Don’t worry Admiral. Trust me the Baroness Febdash will not be a problem. I’ll not do anything out of the ordinary. All I’ll do is speak with her, and nothing else. It will be fine, trust me please.” Seelnay walks off, and Sobbash still feels very uneasy.

Kufadis had decided before the Lashkau left, that being a lone ship traveling through normal space held the best options. Their cross over point to plane space would occur in another eight hours and then it was another half day to the transfer point between Vorash and the Capital. Listening to and observing everything around them the bridge crew became aware of one very important aspect of their travel. They were transiting this part of the Empire and had not come across a solitary ship.

“Commodore. I don’t understand? The fleet report we downloaded before we left said Admiral Bebaus support division should be in the sector. But as you can see the space is completely vacant, and there are no signs of residual engine exhaust.” Kufadis interrupts him. “So there’s been a fleet movement since we left. It would make sense Nastoyia’s fleet was in a potential hot spot. I’m sure the central command wouldn’t go off and leave that large of a gap in the observance grid. The first officer continued. “Shouldn’t we find a relay station and receive a new download, current information would be helpful?”

Kufadis shakes his head. “As far as central command knows we are on the other side of this sector. Keeping our whereabouts secret will be our first responsibility. I know you’re concerned about the crew as well. Not knowing where we are going or why has them on edge. We’ve not done battle simulations lately. Start a set, concentrate on having this ship in a one against many similar type ship scenarios.”

The First Officer approaches Kufadis. “Commodore. Be honest. These drills you propose. Is it possible we’ll be facing ship from the Star Forces soon?” Kufadis sits erect in the chair. “Do the drills. Concentrate on this ship being able to defend itself against like type vessels in a one on many scenarios. Then hope we never have to exercise these drills in reality.” The First Officer nods and turns away. The sound of the battle alert chime echoes throughout the ship. The bridge darkens and the drills commence.

This was becoming a greater task than Lafiel had figured. Just before sunrise the heavy part of the Sol-Eros artifacts were loaded along with the personal effects of the people. Time was becoming a factor her self-imposed deadline was fast approaching and with Scholars array disassembled. She wasn’t exactly sure were Nastoyia’s fleet was. “Jinto do you feel we can be off the planet soon?” Jinto sat watching the results of the latest seismic disturbance. “Lafiel it’s no longer what I feel. It’s what we are about to feel that matters.” At that moment the ground started shaking it subsided almost as it started. “Lafiel this planet is heading for a massive seismic event we need to finish very soon. The sun, its radiation doesn’t matter. We need to get out of here. Erin said it wasn’t bad till the midday. I say we continue to load and what we can’t take. We destroy.”

Lafiel stood there. “Destroy? No Jinto! We destroy nothing! It all comes with us. Do you understand?” Jinto looks at her. “Then stop arguing and continue loading. I’ll get with Ekuryua and Risch and see how they are progressing.” Lafiel watches as Jinto leaves. She stands confused. “I wasn’t arguing. Why does he think that?” She shakes it off. Glances at the shuttle’s sensors and realizes there is another event on its way. Exiting the shuttle this one hits hard. It knocks everyone off his or her feet and sets the transport swaying. Lafiel, regaining her footing sees that the ground is starting to crack. Remembering what Jinto had told her, sets off to survey the rest of the area. Everyone is moving at a faster pace. The transport is completely loaded and leaves before noon.

Jinto, Lafiel, Erin and Scholar have a last look around before they enter the shuttle to leave the planet. There have been several after shocks all growing in intensity. Risch and Ekuryua had just returned from the reactor the last tremor had sealed the entrance but Risch had managed to isolate it before then. “You know if the roof collapses that reactor is going to explode. We do need to leave here.” Jinto nods he turns to Lafiel. “We leave now. Lafiel. Too many bad things are about to happen.” She nods and closes the shuttle door. The liftoff was uneventful however once aloft several severe shocks hit the planet. The research vessel in orbit reported their findings to which Ekuryua said. “That was cutting it real close down there. I’ll guess the village doesn’t exist anymore.”

Erin sat looking out the window. She had never seen the whole of Sol-Eros before it left her amazed. Scholar on the other hand was studying Ekuryua’s use of her hand and the two crystals exiting from her headband to navigate the shuttle. Once in orbit Scholar floats forward sitting next to Ekuryua. Studying the console before her Scholar passes her hand across the console. It reacts to her touch. Which brings Ekuryua to say. “Try not to wreck anything. I'm not sure how familiar you are with our technology. But that is the navigation station any incorrect information from it and we’ll be.” Scholar interrupts. “Wandering through space. I’m aware of its function young one. I’m also able to access your sensors I can see the other ships approaching. They are still quite a ways off.”

Lafiel floats next to Scholar. “You can see them from here? How? Our technology is limited compared to yours.” Scholar smiles. “Princess. Our equipment is very similar. What differs is the operator’s skill. I understand we will be living on the same planet as you are.”
Lafiel nods then Scholar continues. “Once we are settled come by I’ll be happy to explain the differences.” Then Scholar gets a worried look on her face. “Is there any way I can link with the ship in low orbit?” Lafiel nods. “I see you haven’t master the system, yet.”

She leans across Scholar and presses several switches. “The panel is now linked.” Lafiel said. Scholar laid her hands upon the panel. The main display glowed. It displayed visual images of what use to be the village. A large fault was opening from the sea and heading towards the reactor site. Most of the buildings were destroyed. Tears stream down Scholar’s face. “Thank you Princess. If you hadn’t come to the surface, all of us would be facing death.” Scholar raises her hands off the panel the main display went blank. She lifted her self out of the seat floated along side Lafiel and returned back to her original position.

Lafiel slid into the seat next to Ekuryua. The attack frigate was coming into view. “That was weird.” Ekuryua said. “What was?” Lafiel commented. “I could feel her thoughts. She could have read my mind but she didn’t. The amount of sorrow I felt when she scanned the surface. It was like the entire population of the planet was focusing through her mind. She has enormous energy and power. I hope she’ll be an ally if she becomes an enemy we are in big trouble.” Lafiel glances back. Scholar sits looking into space all of the expressions on her face are gone. Glancing around she notices that Erin and Jinto are engaged in what looks like a very involved conversation and Risch sits napping in the rear of the ship.

Docking with the frigate Ekuryua assigned Scholar and Erin rooms that Jinto lead them to. Ekuryua and Lafiel headed for the bridge and Risch went to engineering. Ekuryua opened a link to the research vessel and told them they could stay in low orbit for another two hours then the fleet was leaving. “Captain I was hoping for a longer period of time. But I understand your orders and will obey them.”

Ekuryua sat watching Lafiel. She was in a conversation with the tactical and navigational officers. Lafiel turns towards her and motions Ekuryua to come over. “I want to tie Scholar into our system. Give her limited access to the navigational scanners and make sure she cannot access fire control. I need to know where those other ships are and what they do once we leave here.” Ekuryua nods. “Should she be on the bridge too? Or should I have Risch link her from her quarters?” Lafiel ponders Ekuryua question. Then “She should be on the bridge. If she’s here not only can we watch her. But we can have an instant assessment of what she is seeing.”

Ekuryua steps away. Lafiel follows her and Ekuryua says. “You have to make a choice Lafiel. Either you fully trust her or not even with limited access to our systems. She could cause a lot of chaos if she wanted to. This is my ship and your mission. I want it clear between us. How the rest of this is going to go. We need a united front between us. Or one of us takes command completely. Before we go any further Lafiel. I need to know what we are going to do.”

Lafiel stands motionless in deep thought then. “You are in command of this mission until such time as we confront an opposing force. I don’t want you making life and death decisions concerning other Abh. That’s my responsibility. I hope we can complete this mission without confrontation. However I truly doubt it, and if the person I think is aboard Nastoyia’s flagship. Even though you are an experienced officer who I admire. You won’t stand a chance against him. I’ll need to take him down because I can guarantee you he will not surrender.”

Ekuryua frowns. “Just who are we running from and why?” Lafiel leans over and whispers in her ear. Ekuryua grows pale. “You’re serious? That’s the reason why everything else has happened?” Lafiel nods. “Let’s get a station for Scholar set up and let the research vessel gather all the data it can. Then like I said before I want in that Sord at least thirty-six hours before Nastoyia’s fleet arrives. I’m also changing our route of travel.” Lafiel brings up the star chart for this sector. “I want out of plane space as soon as possible. In normal space we can avoid detection. We exit here continue to Seelnay’s refueling point then on to the rendezvous at Vorash. Any questions?” Ekuryua stares at the chart. “No questions Admiral. Glad to have you back it’s been a long time.” Lafiel smiles and leaves the bridge headed for Scholars quarters.

Seelnay left the ship the moment it docked. She headed straight for the brig and a talk with Atosuryua. Sobbash met her Chief of Staff and proceeded to figure out their next moves. Samson found Paveryua and started to load the transport with the necessary supplies. Sobbash leaves her office with her Chief behind her. “So these ships you’re taking to support Her Highness to do?” Sobbash shook her head. “It’s better you not know. I need you to stay here and hold down the fort while I’m gone. I promise when it’s all over I’ll explain all that I can to you.” Her Chief stares, “Okay Admiral. What should I do with Atosuryua?” Sobbash starts walking towards the brig. “I’ll solve this problem before I leave.” Rounding the corner to the brig Seelnay about knocks them off their feet. “Oh Sobbash. You won’t have any problems with the Baroness. She’ll be very co-operative. I’ll meet you at the ship.” With that she leaves them.

Entering the brig they find Atosuryua sitting staring at a blank wall. Sobbash approaches the door. “You wanted to talk with me Atosuryua. I’m back.” Atosuryua turns towards the door. There is no expression on her face. She speaks in a monotone to Sobbash. “I’ll not fight with you Sobbash. I’ll sit here patiently, waiting for your return. I was wrong about a lot of things. It seems my past has just caught up with me. I withdrew the charges I placed against you. Actually this brig might be the safest place for me to be. I understand you need ships and have a letter from Her Highness to that effect. Take my group. The first officer aboard my flagship has been instructed to follow your orders to the letter.”

She returns her gaze to the wall in front of her and says. “Sobbash, watch that servant girl Seelnay closely and what ever you do. Do not get on her bad side.” Sobbash’s thanks Atosuryua for her co–operation. She is greeted with silence.

Leaving the brig Sobbash talks with her Chief. “How would you explain that? That’s not the Atosuryua I left you with I’d say something happened.” The Chief speaks. “She’ll put the fear of god in you. That’s the phrase the Terran’s use to describe Seelnay when she’s mad. Her business partners use it too.” Sobbash keeps walking. “Terran’s believe in a supreme being. All knowing and All-powerful I hope Seelnay’s not that being.”

The Chief stops. Sobbash stops and faces her. “Admiral do you believe it is a good idea to take Seelnay with you?” Sobbash smiles. “I have no choice in the matter. At least I think Her Highness can control her. If I was to leave her here, I don’t want to think about what would happen. I’ll take her with me this is my present to you. Now you keep things under control here while I’m gone.” The Chief smiles, “The garden is doing nicely too Admiral. Although I think it misses you and station master Samson.” Sobbash smiles. “I call you when we are leaving.” Sobbash turns and walks towards the dock. The Chief watches her disappear and returns to her office. “I hope I’ll see you again Admiral?” was her only thought.

Samson sees Sobbash heading for the ship he calls to her. “Sobbash a moment before you go aboard.” Sobbash stops. “Speak your mind I’m listening.” Samson steps to and takes Sobbash in his arms, “We are loaded Admiral. Paveryua is staying. He’ll keep your Chief in line. However I have one worry.” Sobbash looks into his eyes. “Seelnay?” Samson nods. “Yeah she aboard ship and she are too calm, too happy. It’s real scary.”

Sobbash relates her conversation with Atosuryua to Samson. He looks confused. “You mean she’s?” Sobbash nods. “Completely submissive. I would say her spirit was broken. That’s what scares me about Seelnay. She said or did something to Atosuryua and now she’s like this. Just what will she do when we find those responsible for Ku’s death?” Samson moves his gaze towards the frigate. “Sobbash you better start wearing a side arm. It might be the only way to stop her.” Sobbash shakes her head. “No! No. I’ll not take two lives. Don’t ask me to do that.” She steps back into his arms. “Let’s take things one step at a time. We need to leave. Lafiel is depending on us.” Samson kisses her cheek. “Okay Sobbash we’ll do it your way. I just hope you’ve read her right.” They board the ship and prepare to leave.

“I’ve adjusted to your sensor system and measure of time. The fleet is forty hours off Captain Ekuryua.” Scholar sits neatly tucked in-between the navigation and tactical stations. Risch had managed to adapt a touch panel for Scholar to use, and in her present location she was easily watched. “Thank you Scholar. Continue to monitor their progress.” Ekuryua opens a link. “You’re finished studying the planet. We have to leave.” The research vessel replies and leaves low orbit over Sol-Eros. Scholar scans the surface one last time the village no longer exists. The explosion of the reactor decimated the mountain where the reactor was buried. The only object that was still visible was the wrecked shuttle and the ocean would swallow it within the next couple of days.

She concentrated on her newest task, that in a way was her old task, protection of the residents of Sol-Eros. This time instead of being on a planet, they were in a transport twenty thousand meters behind the Attack Frigate. She had a line of communications open between them and Erin’s cabin. It was decided that as always, the people of Sol-Eros would have a say in their future. Lafiel felt that giving Scholar this much responsibility she would stay in line. It would prove an excellent decision.

Using minimal power the force Ekuryua commanded headed for the Sord at the far end of the system. It was hoped that they would not leave a large exhaust trail behind them. Nastoyia’s ships would enter the system a beam the sun and within scanning range of Sol-Eros. Knowing that Scholar and Lafiel had devised a little diversion using the defense platforms on the four moons. “You sure the weapons are set to do no damage?” Lafiel asked. Yes. Your Highness, in fact as unstable as those reactors are I’ll be surprise if they all fire on command.”

Five hours after leaving orbit they slipped into the Sord. Ekuryua left a little messenger at the entrance just incase Scholar would miss something. The plan was to head for the exit at the transport best speed and that would still give Scholar control over the planetary defenses when Nastoyia’s ships arrived. Thirty hours went by slowly. Then at slightly after zero hour’s ships time. The general quarters alarm rang on the bridge and engineering decks only.

Scholar had tied into the cameras on the third moon. They faced the Sord, the main display now shows what the cameras saw. As Nastoyia’s ships exited the Sord they made several scanning passes. Then, without warning opened up on Sol-Eros with a murderous assault. Lafiel sat aghast. Ekuryua’s response was the disbelief. Scholar turns and looks at them. “Might I defend the planet?” Lafiel says. Do no damage but let them know our displeasure.” Scholar places her hands over the touch panel. The ships lights dim and the main screen goes to snow momentarily. Then the display returns to its recent clarity.

Exiting the Sord his Excellency had the planet scanned. When the wreckage of the shuttle was spotted he ordered the planet assaulted. As the first salvos hit the planet. Three of the four moons opened fire upon the fleet. There was minor damage done to several vessels and the platforms on the moons were silenced. “Scan the area completely, look for exiting ships. I can’t believe those platforms on the moons destroyed them.” The ships scanned every part of the system. But the assault coupled with the suns erratic radiation outburst cloaked any sign of a trail leaving the system.

Sitting still and observing the planet, the fleet was attacked again. As the forth moon came into range of the fleet it’s platform the largest of the four opened fire on them. The reactor’s output was extremely erratic. Three ships were badly damaged. Several others received minor damage before that platform was silenced. Nastoyia’s fleet spent the next twenty hours searching the system before they left through the Sord. Lafiel had used earlier.

Lafiel watched as the three moons platforms were destroyed. Scholar then switched to the forth moons cameras. As it came into range they watched as ships were damaged and then the platform but not the cameras were silenced. Lafiel stood at Scholars side. “I said no damage.” Scholar turned to Lafiel. “I planned no damage the reactor had other plans.” Before Lafiel could finish her comment the cameras pick up a sight that sickened Lafiel. They showed one Attack Frigate floating, badly damaged and powerless. Then suddenly the flagship came into view and opened up on the frigate destroying it in a flash. The camera picked up on the flagship firing on the other two disabled ships destroying them both.

Lafiel stood there and uttered under her breath. “Barbaric bastard. I’ll have to kill him I see.” She places her hand on Scholar shoulder. “Record everything you can and let me know when they start their pursuit. I do not blame you for what happened. But now you know all of our futures if that fleet catches up with us before our help arrives.” Lafiel moves to Ekuryua. “I’ll be in my cabin. Jinto and I need to discuss our differences on the battle that will be taking place soon. I guess you could say, what were those words he used? Oh yes! Bare our souls.” Lafiel left the bridge and all Ekuryua could picture was an event she didn’t want to picture.

Jinto was resting when Lafiel entered the cabin. He had spent most of the day with Erin gathering an understanding of the residence of Sol-Eros. This understanding would come in very handy shortly. “Jinto we have to talk.” Lafiel shuts the door behind her. “Jinto there is no longer any doubt about it. It is him, the one I hope never to have to confront. After what he just did at Sol-Eros. I’ll have to kill him. Jinto I want you to know that and do not try to stop me.”

Jinto sits up in bed and swings his feet over the side, facing Lafiel he says. “I knew you would say that sooner or later. After Risch and I found out about the headbands. He was the one who trained you in combat at the academy wasn’t he? You really think you can beat him?” Lafiel grew redder. “Yes he was! Do think I’m not aware of the fact? I’ve changed I think I’ve gotten better than he has. I guess we’ll find out soon enough. Does that mean you’ll support me?” Jinto smiles. “Yes and I have a couple of ideas I’d like to discuss with you. Are you ready to listen?” Lafiel nods.

Jinto starts discussing what he and Erin discussed earlier. “These people want to help desperately, they are aware of the sacrifices you’ve made in moving them. Lafiel not only do they want to help, I think that with their help we can be victorious. Without a great loss of life.” Lafiel sits quietly then she says. “Do you find Erin attractive Jinto?” Jinto shakes his head. “What brought that about Lafiel?” Lafiel sits and replies. “Answer the question Jinto. Just answer the question.”

Jinto kneels before Lafiel he takes his fingers and gently raises her chin. Her eyes are black deep and void of all emotion. “I won’t lie to you Lafiel she is attractive but not to me. She reminds me of myself when I left Martine. On the planet she’s sure of her self in space she’s afraid to do anything. I explained to her how I overcame those feelings. She confided in me about what she is expected to do once we settle them on the planet. It reminds me a lot of you when we first met all of those apprehensions you had remember?”

Lafiel’s eyes narrow, “Could she ever replace me?” Jinto shakes his head. “No Lafiel. I seriously doubt if there is anyone who could replace you.” He looks straight into her eyes. “I don’t know what brought this on. But get this straight you are the person I married, love and want to have children with. Erin is a friend just as Ekuryua, Sobbash and Seelnay are. There is nothing romantic and definitely nothing for you to worry about. Do you understand me Lafiel? You can’t get rid of me that easy.”

Jinto feels the wetness on his fingers. “Lafiel I don’t mind you questioning me from time to time. I expect it, but when we move these people onto the planet we will be interacting with them quite a bit. As you well know there are other attractive women beside Erin and I saw those eyes of yours following the two guides. We are going to have to trust each other and them too. I still agree that placing them on the planet with us is the best we can do. Now lets make the best of this situation we are in and accept their help.”

A smile returns to Lafiel's face. “Guess you're right Jinto. I need to hold you to the same standards that I hold myself." She giggles. "You know the one on the right did have a nice butt." Jinto smiles mischievously. "So does Erin. Still, yours is the best looking butt I've seen." Lafiel smiles. "Just keep it that way Jinto. You have the best. Ignore the rest." Jinto takes her hand they stand, embrace, and then head for Erin's cabin.

*Continued in next post*

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Diaho
Site Administrator

Re: 16_The Voyage Home

Post by Diaho »

"Commodore Kufadis you better come to the bridge. You’re not going to believe this.” Kufadis slips into his tunic and heads for the bridge, the door opens to confusion. “All departments report! What was that we just intercepted?” Kufadis sits in the center seat the First Officer comes along side. “About ten minutes ago we received a massive data stream it came from the area of Sol-Eros. I’ve had the department heads looking it over and here’s what we’ve gleaned so far.” He hands Kufadis the report. Kufadis reads it and says. “This is not good, damaged and destroyed ship's. All at the Princesses hands it’s not possible. She doesn’t have that kind of firepower, at least not yet. Keep going over the data and how far did the signal travel?” The First Officer looks at the data displayed. “There seems to have been enough energy for it to get this far. Should we relay it?” Kufadis shakes his head. “No until I have more facts we’ll do nothing.” The First Officer momentarily protests, and then accepts Kufadis decision. There were six hours till the Lashkau would arrive at the rendezvous. Kufadis made sure he would be there long before any one else.

Seelnay had not ventured from her quarters since she arrived on board. Having her meals delivered, she kept to herself. They were twenty hours from the transfer point when the door chime rang. “Enter it’s open.” Sobbash entered the room and closed the door behind her. Seelnay lying on the bed sat up and swung her feet over the side and faced Sobbash. “I know why you’re here Admiral and I’ll ask if the explanation can wait until Her Highness, Captain Ekuryua and the two of us can be together. I’d like to say it only once.” Sobbash nods. “Okay. If you’ll tell me what your plans are I’m sure we are going to meet those who are behind Ku’s death. I need to know your plans it’s really that simple Seelnay.”

Seelnay stretches and faces Sobbash, “The truth Sobbash. I’m here to support Her Highness in every way possible. Although I’d like revenge for Ku’s death these people tried to kill Jinto, Lafiel and myself. I’ll let Her Highness take the first swing at it. If she fails then all bets are off and don’t try to stop me Sobbash.” Sobbash nods. “I understand your point of view Seelnay. Thank you.” Leaving Seelnay’s quarters, Sobbash stops by the armory and checks out two laser pistols. One she places in her quarters, the other she takes to Samson. Samson accepts the pistol and places it in the top drawer of his dresser. “I hope we don’t have to use these.” Sobbash nods. “I hope the Princess will keep us from using them.”

“So surrendering to those ships would mean all of our deaths?” Lafiel nods. “Erin that’s a noble gesture but this one who is following us wants no more than to see all of you dead and all those who helped you.” Erin shook her head. “This sounds like the stories the old ones related, of how the mother city was before they left it. Are you placing us in that kind of environment again?” Jinto shakes his head. “That is the farthest thing from our minds. I understand that you need your freedom and we can offer you security. We need to get over this one hurdle.” Erin frowns. “This is pretty big. Going to war with part of your clan over our very existence. Is a pretty big obstacle something I don’t wish to be responsible for.” Lafiel takes Erin’s hand. “You are not. This has been brewing for sometime now. Your situation just brought it all to a head sooner that’s all. It was going to happen.

Erin nods. “I’ll inform the council of this conversation. Scholar has been listening so she already knows. Our offer to help still is valid. I really wish you’d take us up on it Princess.” Lafiel smiles. “I’m heading to see Scholar now. We will implement as much as we can. Your help is appreciated.” Erin smiles. “That is wonderful, I’ll also report this to the council.” Jinto and Lafiel leave and Erin communicates with the transport.

“Lafiel thank you for listening to Erin and thank you for accepting their help.” Jinto is walking along side Lafiel he feels her hand slip around his waist. “Thank you Jinto for keeping me balanced. If Scholar can do half of what she said she could, we are going to have some extra ordinary surprises up our sleeve.” She glances at Jinto. “That was the correct phrasing wasn’t it?” Jinto nods. “Correct my love. Very correct.” They walk arm and arm to the bridge.

Scholar sat enjoying the newfound freedoms that the Attack Frigate supplied. The sensor array allowed her to probe deeply into the void. Her knowledge of plane space, how this vessel operated within it and its limitations had become crystal clear to her. Jinto and Lafiel stood along side her. She had sensed their entering the bridge. “The ships are following us. They are unsure of our position. They are scanning frantically trying to find any trace of us. We should be exiting to normal space soon I can cloak our exit if you wish.” Lafiel nods. “How close are they to us?”

Scholar passes her hand across the panel. “About one standard days time. They are closing the distance and once we are in normal space they could make up more of the time that separates us. If we maintain present speed once we leave plane space they should catch sight of us as we are leaving the refueling point. About six hours from the rendezvous.”

Lafiel steps to the other side of Scholar and looks at the navigator’s station. “This is not going to work as I planned. I was hoping that they would catch up as we entered the transfer zone. That’s where I planned on springing the trap.” Lafiel studies the course display. “There are no short cuts through this part of space, at least not with a transport in tow.”

Scholar says. “How long do they need to be delayed? If it’s less that four hours I can do something about that right now.” Lafiel startled says. “How do you plan on doing that?” Scholar projects on to the main display what looks to be a large fleet of ships. “The same way we have fooled your scans all these years. Those ship behind us are not expecting to be confronted by a superior force am I right?” Lafiel studies the display. “Your creation is perfect. I see you’ve scanned our database. I want to make one change.” Lafiel opens a file and displays the specification of a one of a kind ship. “Place that ship in the lead of your contrived Superior Force. That should stop the old fart in his tracks.”

Scholar nods. “I will Princess but understand once we clear the Sord the entire fleet will disappear.” Lafiel nods. “We will do it this way. Place the decoy just at their sensor range and see if they slow. If they do the keep the distance closing slowly, hopefully we can get the time we need before we exit into normal space.” Scholar nods. “You’ve learned tactics well Princess your teacher would be proud of you.” Lafiel frowns. Scholar notices this as Lafiel speaks. “The one who taught me is the one who follows us. You better hope I can out think the master.” Scholar places her hand towards the panel. “With your permission Princess. I’ll try my very best to lead him astray.” Lafiel nods. Scholar touches the panels the lights aboard ship darken then grow slowly brighter.

“Sensor contact, your Excellency. We’ve got them.” As his words leave his lips the tactical officer grows more hesitant. “What direction and how many ships.” The tactical officer has a hard time getting the words out. “Dead ahead Your Excellency. They are approaching us. Estimated number of ships, one thousand.” The light dims on the bridge, battle stations sound. The communications officer frantically contacts all of the division and informs the commanders of the newest threat. “Slow to one half. Identify those ships.”

The tactical officer strain mightily to scan through plane space, he makes one ship out distinctly and projects the image on the main display. A hush falls over the bridge. Bright white and trimmed in gold the Imperial Flagship sits defiantly in their path. “So the Capital guard fleet did come after us. But how did they know which direction, unless Ramaj herself is aboard that ship. Slow to one quarter, wait till they come into communications range.” Then the tactical officer says. “Excellency they match our movements. They are maintaining their distance.” His Excellency sits studying the situation. “Slow to one eighth and start intensive scanning. I want a complete make up of that group ahead of us.”

“Princess. He’s taken the bait, but he just started intensive scanning. I feel he’s not completely fooled.” Lafiel watched as the distance grows between them. “If we can keep them occupied another hour. That will give us the extra time we need. Think you can do it?” Scholar nods. “It’s going to be touch and go. If they venture to close that will be it, although.” She looks at Lafiel. “I could try a couple of thing just to see if I can excite them a little bit too.” Lafiel smiles. “Be careful, remember I get to kill him.” Scholar smiles. “I’ll not be the one to stand in your way Princess. My only concern is to that transport full of people. Their survival is in my hands.” Lafiel watches the display. The distance grows by leaps and bounds.

“They remain just out of scanning range I get partial contacts but nothing more. They continued to maintain their distance.” His Excellency sits and ponders for a moment then says. “Advance the first group towards them let’s see what happens.” The first group of ships advances only ten thousand meters then there is activity from the fleet blocking them. “Excellency the group just went defensive. I read rail guns coming on line and laser cannons being charged.” The tactical officer looks amazed. “There are no mines deployed.”

From the rear His Excellency speaks. “Correct fool, mines against like ships are useless. The FOF would detect we are on the same side. Ramaj must be aboard that ship. She’s holding us here, but why?” Then suddenly he asks. “Check the fleet fuel status. Quickly.” A check brings his fears forward. The fleet is running short on fuel. Another three hours and they’ll have to advance to exit at Sord ten twenty six and the refueling depot there. “Tell them to hold position. I see what she’s after the witch. Hold me at bay till I run out of fuel. Well Ramaj you’ll not get your way. I’ll destroy you all first.”

The entire time Ekuryua has sat watching Lafiel and Scholar contrive this decoy to fool and stall their pursuers. Now there was a sudden advance countered by Scholars second move. The sensor channel that she had been monitoring became very active. She spoke to the entire bridge. “Well now, that’s a nice surprise.” Lafiel and Scholar both turned towards her. “Heard something you liked, eh Ekuryua?” Ekuryua nods. “He’s running short on fuel. He’s got about three hours and then he’ll come charging at your decoy no matter what.”

Lafiel and Scholar bring up the star charts for the area. “Closest refueling station is at Sord ten twenty six. If he exits there and refuels we’ll have almost eight hours on him.” Lafiel ponders, they could hold him till his fuel runs very low and gain more time or they could hold him another hour and be about two hours ahead of him, if he figures out their route.

“Those are our comrades out there. We hold them no grudge and I for one having almost run out of fuel in plane space. Find it uncomfortable to hold them any longer than necessary.” As she speaks she looks at Ekuryua who nods in agreement. Placing her hand on Scholar’s shoulder she says. “Hold them another fifty minutes. Then before the decoy vanishes give them something to think about.” Scholar nods. “Visual or should we leave them a voice message too?” Lafiel stands staring at the stopped fleet. “I wish I knew how many ships Sobbash rounded up. If the odds were in our favor I’d send him an invite to battle. Call his hand here and now.”

Scholar shakes her head. “Princess. If that is your worry you should have asked sooner. I’ve been tracking your friends for about an hour now. The display shifts to almost three hundred ships of the line in formation making excellent time through plane space. Lafiel smiles. She recognizes most of the ships present. They are from the depot guard fleet.

Then she spies almost fifty Kal class battleships however one brightly painted red one is not in this group. “Guess they didn’t come. I was really hoping for her to be there.” Scholar changes the view once more. “This ship has arrived at the rendezvous. Is it the one you seek Princess?” There sitting basking in the glow of the transfer Sord sat the Lashkau. Lafiel smiles. “We leave him a challenge alright. Let’s see if the old bastard has the stomach to come after me. Once he realizes I know his strengths and weaknesses.”

Ekuryua stands and yells at Lafiel. “What are you thinking of? Issue a challenge now? Not knowing whether our forces are going to arrive in time? You are just going tell him where you’ll meet him. Have you lost your mind?” Lafiel glares at Ekuryua. “Stay out of this Captain it’s between him and me.”

Ekuryua bristles up. “No! Not until those people in the transport are safely enroute to the planet. Your responsibility is to them. Not some damn blood thirsty revenge issue you have with your clan.” Ekuryua brushes her jacket aside her hand falls on the un-strapped laser pistol. “Right now this is my show till the people of Sol-Eros are safe. Then if you want to start a feud with your kin. I’ll give this pistol and you can use it to vaporize him. But until such time as all of that happens, Your Highness, we will not jeopardize our mission.” Ekuryua open a link on her creunoc. “Jinto, unless you want your bride with a laser hole burned in her. You better get up here.”

Jinto was just entering the lift to the bridge when Ekuryua’s summons rang in his ears. When the door opened and he found the two of them squaring off at each other. Stepping towards Lafiel she gave him a stern warning. “Stay out of this Jinto lest you want to get hurt. I’m about to take the Captain down a notch or two.“ Returning her focus to Ekuryua she didn’t notice that he had ignored her warning until Jinto’s flat hand hit Lafiel’s face and knocked her to the floor at the tactical officers feet. “You’re back to your old self Lafiel. You want to remove any challenge to your authority. Well then. Me first! Your Imperial brat ness.”
Lafiel stood and lunged at Jinto he caught her firmly swatted her butt and flat handed her face again this time splitting her lip open. She landed one forearm to Jinto ribs and stops to wipe her cheek. “Not bad Jinto, you could have avoided getting your ribs cracked if you had split my lip and left my butt alone.”

The bridge crew sat in awe. There had been rumors that when angered members of the royal family did strange and sometimes violent things. But to witness their Captain, forced to draw a weapon on her friend the Princess. Then to have the Princess’s own partner for life step on to the bridge and assault her, and draw blood. This was unlike anything they had ever seen or heard of. Scholar sitting calmly through all of this said. “Now that the temper tantrum is over. What would you like for me to do to those people back there?”

Lafiel stood there, her lip and butt both throbbing in pain. Jinto stood beside her his hand and ribs smarting. “Let me guess Lafiel you were going to send him a challenge and leave instructions where to find you?” Lafiel relented. “You know me too well Jinto Lynn. I wanted to make his blood boil. I wanted him to make a mistake.” Jinto places his hand on her shoulder. “It is not the time Lafiel. We need to get to the rendezvous and set our plan. If you anger him anymore than he already is, all you're going to do is get us all killed.” Lafiel nods she places a hand on Scholar. “Surprise me. But hurt no one else is that understood?” Scholar nods and places her hand across the panels. The power drain on the ship becomes noticeable. The display now switches back to the fleet behind them.

“They are withdrawing Excellency!” Sitting totally absorbed in the situation His Excellency failed to hear the tactical officers original comment. The second comment louder and directed at him brought him from his daydream. Glancing at the main viewer he saw that it was true, the number of targets were decreasing. As he started to speak the Imperial Flagship launched a salvo of rifle shots towards them. They explode at a range that obscured all visual and sensor readings. Once the discharge settled. The space surround them was completely empty, void of any other ships besides theirs. “What happened? Are they all gone? Does not one ship remain?” The tactical officer scans the area “Excellency they are gone. They have vanished.”

Sitting back in the chair he inserts his headband crystals into the receivers located in the chair. The area around the ship he personally scans. There is nothing, not the slightest sign of a thousand ships. “Resume course continue scanning. We need to get to that fuel depot.” The fleet starts to move all lead and trailing ships scanning the space with in the confines of plane space. “What the hell was that? Why? No, HOW did they vanish like that? What does this all mean?” His Excellency settles back into the chair replaying the last couple of hours in his head, wondering if he had underestimated his adversary.

“Commodore, the Sord transfer to the Vorash system is becoming active. Reading a considerable number of ships. We are being hailed.” Kufadis sits watching the Sord changed colors as the first ships emerge for it. “Establish communications.” The main display flickers to life. Sobbash’s face appears. “Admiral I didn’t expect to find you here.” Sobbash’s look changes suddenly; she realizes Kufadis is facing her “Sorry Commander I thought the Admiral was aboard.” Kufadis smiles and adjusts him self in the chair the emblem of Commodore is now facing Sobbash, “Commodore Kufadis? I see the Admiral did another one of her instant rank advancements. Congratulations you have deserved it.”

Kufadis nods. “Don’t get too use to it, it’s only temporary. Your status Admiral.” Sobbash’s face went blank “Temporary? I see. Our status? This is what we have at the present moment.” A list of ships appears in the lower left hand quarter of the display. Kufadis scans it and says. “I‘ll take command of the Kal class ships, and did you bring supply ships?” Sobbash nods. Kufadis continues. “Good Admiral. I really taxed our reserves. We need to refuel as soon as possible. After the Lashkau is refueled.” Kufadis pauses. “Do we have a plan of defense?” The display jiggles Sobbash’s face is a blank. “Commodore after serving with Spoor all these years, you should be knowledgeable of the fact that the higher members of powerful families do no planning. I’m sure Her Highness will do this on the fly just as Spoor would.”

Kufadis sat back in his seat. It was Spoor’s spontaneous assessment of the battle and then her unorthodox approach to battle that made her famous and feared throughout the Empire. Kufadis had never seen the Princess fight; he now had fifty-five ships besides the Lashkau to worry about. That is why he had run drills figuring he be in a totally defensive position. “Then Admiral I guess we wait for Her Highness to arrive. Hopefully Nastoyia’s fleet is not right behind them.” Sobbash nods. “I suggest you set up just that defense Commodore. Assume that Her Highness shows up with them nipping at her heels. That would be the worst-case scenario. Contact me once you’ve refueled and conferred with your group.” The display dims as Sobbash’s face fades into nothingness.

Kufadis stands and walks to the First Officer. He places his hand on his shoulder and says. “Contact the Kal class group. Ascertain their battle readiness and have the commanders ready to confer with me in thirty minutes.” The First Officer goes to establish contact. Kufadis grip on his shoulder changes. He stops and looks at him. “Commodore is there something else?” Kufadis nods. He changes his gaze back to the main display. The Sord now fills the view. Kufadis continues. ”Sobbash’s worse case scenario. She glossed it over. The worse case would be they don’t make it, or come through the Sord badly damaged.” The First officer returns to the console. “I’ll keep that thought in mind Commodore. I hope it does not come to that.” Kufadis removes his hand. “I’m glad you understand. I’ll be in my quarters. Notify me when the conference is established.” Turning Kufadis leaves the bridge.

The Abh always felt comfortable traveling with in plane space. It is something they had mastered even though it was very unpredictable. As the Attack Frigate entered normal space Ekuryua felt at ease, the vastness of normal space and its lack of deadly hostility as compared to plane space left her feeling more confident. Scholar had masked their exit from plane space. Ekuryua wonder if it would work but then so far everything Scholar had done worked.

The refueling station appeared it was exactly where Seelnay had said it would be. Refueling went off with out any problems. They started their race to the Vorash transfer Sord. When Nastoyia’s fleet left plane space Scholar lost contact with it. They were still ten hours, at flank speed, behind them and they still had to refuel. Then figure out where their quarry was headed.

Ekuryua felt a moment’s confidence. She quickly put it aside. She would not feel confident until this mission was over and Lafiel had her disagreement settled. Ekuryua mused. “Lafiel’s little disagreement. That’s a pretty simple statement. Considering it could turn out to be, an all out clan feud.” The display filled with planets and stars. They were headed through normal space at the transports maximum speed. Scanning rearward and not seeing their pursers Ekuryua felt a bit of comfort

Jinto and Lafiel had returned to their cabin after their altercation on the bridge. Jinto stood in front of the mirror shirt off performing an examination his ribs. Lafiel’s blow had caught in squarely mid point on his left side. There was surface bruising beginning to show. Shaking his head from side to side Jinto mused. “Lafiel is this how we are going to spend the rest of our lives? Constantly battling with each other over some difference of opinion?”

Lafiel lay on her side. Jinto’s well place blow had aggravated a previous encounter in the same spot. “No Jinto. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life fighting with you. In fact I won’t spend my life fighting with anyone I care about as much as I do you. This situation is different from any that we’ve faced before. There is a direct threat to my life. Possibly yours too, plus to anyone we know or care about. You have to understand the gravity of this Jinto. He has taken the extraordinary steps to commandeer a fleet. I’m sure by now he’s convinced the crew that we are renegades. Disloyal to the Empire and that those we transport pose a greater threat to the Empire than the United Mankind ever could. What bothers me is how many of his, or the other clan members hold his opinion.”

Lafiel gently slid off the bunk and stood beside Jinto. “What we are facing could turn into open warfare with in the families of my clan and it’s not just over the residents of Sol-Eros. There have been other things brewing for a long time Jinto, things that I don’t have the time to explain to you. I understand your need to keep peace aboard this ship and in fact anywhere I am. I’ll admit it; I’m an explosive personality. But look at who I am. My family prides themselves on being ruthless, cold and calculating. You know I’m not the cold-hearted bitch most perceive me as. But if I’m to command the respect that I’ll need; I need to be that Lafiel. Starting right now.”

She places her hands around Jinto’s upper torso. “You’re in love with this Lafiel. Warm, caring, understanding and hidden for almost all but you, side of me. I have to bury that side completely before I confront him Jinto, or he will destroy all of us. Right now before I switch this Lafiel off. She has one request.” She turns Jinto into her arms and the fall into a loving embrace.

All Abh ships are highly sophisticated computerized vessels. This level of sophistication required that they all contain artificial intelligence units. These A.I. units grow and develop as the ship sees service. After awhile they become conscious of those operating them. Sooner or later they become the ship’s soul. When Lafiel and Jinto crashed the shuttle on Clasbul. Lafiel saluted the A.I. unit and in turn it wish them good luck and a safe journey before it terminated operations.

Scholar had found the A.I. of Ekuryua’s ship and had started a conversation with it. Exploring the ships vast knowledge. Scholar had learned more about the Abh in the time she was interfaced with the ship, than she could relate to the ship about the inhabitants of Sol-Eros. Scholar understood the gravity of the present situation that they were about to face. She also understood that lives were going to be lost no matter how diplomatic the Princess was with their pursuers. She had communications with those aboard the transport and with Erin sitting in her cabin aboard this ship. There was complete agreement that the council would place their futures completely in Scholars hands and that she would follow Lafiel’s orders until there was conflict. At that point Scholar would assess the threat to the transport and determine if she needed to step in. It was also decided that Scholar and Erin were expendable if it meant saving the rest of the inhabitants.

The space around them filled Scholar’s mind. She could see the fleet amassed in the space between the Sords. She could sense the apprehension of all those aboard this ship. There was one person she had trouble reading, and at this moment they were on the bridge together so she decided to start a conversation with her. ”Captain Ekuryua we are four hours from the rendezvous. We can contact the ships assembled there if you wish.” Ekuryua sat stone-faced behind Scholar she flipped a link open and said. “Four hours to the rendezvous Your Highness.” An affirmative answer was received. Ekuryua closed the link and said. “Thank you Scholar, any sign of our pursuers?” Scholar shook her head she though. “Well so much for a light hearted chat. This one is all business.”

Nastoyia’s fleet had just finished refueling. A link with the central command net gave them an overview of the four sectors that surround them. The two noticeable events were the fleet movement from the Hyde System and no mention of the Imperial fleet moving from the Capital. His Excellency sat reviewing the data from the net.

His confusion finally turned into action. Pointing his command rod at a spot on the star chart he announces, “They are here! We will wipe them from space. Nothing survives this attack.” His command rod points to the Vorash transfer area. They leave the refueling station at battle speed on a direct course towards the transfer they are ten hours distance.

On the bridge Sobbash sat scanning in the direction that Lafiel should be coming from. Finally the code beacon from the lead frigate was received after another five minutes she confirmed that all of the ships were there. This information Sobbash relayed to Samson and Kufadis. Still out of communications range Sobbash wonder if they were all right. At that moment the sensor channel became active. Sobbash started seeing scenes from the bridge of Ekuryua’s ship. The wealth of information transmitted was almost overwhelming. Sobbash sat motionless these images and sounds flashing through her mind.

Then there was silence and a familiar voice. “Admiral. I bid you welcome and I have shared most of the events that have transpired since we parted company. This group of ships is as you last saw them. However about ten minutes ago I found this fleet on a direct course to your location.” The image of Nastoyia’s fleet appears in her mind. “We should arrive about five hours ahead of them. Neither Captain Ekuryua nor the Princess knows I have sent this information to you. You may respond by just thinking. Thanks to this wonderful technology of the Abh. I can sort out many things I never could before. It’s like I’ve been reborn.”

Sobbash sat looking at a dark display but her eye movements were consistent with excessive mental activity. The sensor channel she was hooked up to show almost unbelievable data transfer rates. However the ship’s A.I. was monitoring Sobbash and it did not sound a warning. The First Officer stood beside Sobbash. Her concern was becoming evident. The bridge door opens and Seelnay steps in. She makes her way to Sobbash looks her in the eyes and says. “I see Admiral you’ve made contact with them. Are they all right?” Sobbash nods her head. Seelnay turns to a shocked First Officer and says. “The Admiral is linked with the fleet from Sol-Eros. When she is finished communicating with them. She will return to normal. There is nothing to worry about.” Seelnay leaves the bridge.

In the lift Seelnay became extremely frustrated. Scholar had done in a very short time what it had taken Seelnay years to do. Interact directly with the ships A.I. unit. It seems that Scholar had done what Seelnay had failed to do. She has the A.I. units complete trust. Seelnay had only managed a limited report with any A.I. unit. Leaving the lift and heading back to her quarters she made a mental note that Scholar was not someone to be taken lightly. That her power and insight used by the wrong faction could be more destructive than any fleet of warships the Empire had. Seelnay entered her quarters. Picking up her belongings that were scattered around the room. She dressed for battle; a battle she sensed would be very bloody affair. Sitting on the edge of the bed, her passenger reminded her that they were still there. Pulling on her knee socks the baby expressed its discomfort with a small cramp. Seelnay relaxed and moved her leg to a less constricting position and finished dressing.

Sobbash finished communicating with Scholar. She turned to her right to find her First Officer standing in amazement. “Admiral, I see your back. You had us worried although Seelnay said you were fine. It was very uncomfortable watching you sit there and look almost unconscious.” Sobbash nods. “It was an experience I can not explain in words. But right now we have work to do. Bring the fleet to alert and get me the commanders on line. I’ll speak with them from here.” The First Officer complies. Several displays open around Sobbash. “The Princess is here just on the edge of the scanning grid. Nastoyia’s fleet is here about five hours behind them.” There is grumbling from the displays. “That’s enough! My information is accurate. You are going to have to trust me. Right now, until the Princess arrives. We will assume this defensive position.” The display shows a layout with almost all of them facing the approaching convoy.

Sobbash does have one group of Attack Frigates facing the Sord that leads to the Vorash kingdom. This brings a comment from one of the commanders. “If you are so sure of the fleets direction then why do you place them facing the wrong way?” Sobbash taps the commander’s display it distorts and returns to normal. “I’ll assume you slept through that part of tactics class Decca Commander. You never leave your flank exposed.” The Decca Commander frowns to the chuckles from the other displays. “Now are there any more questions?” Sobbash is greeted with silence. “Carry out my orders you are dismissed.” The displays disappear all except one. Sobbash addresses it directly.

“Commodore Kufadis there is something else you wish to ask?” Kufadis shakes his head. “It’s something I’d like you to know. Spoor was healthy enough to make this trip. But she decided that this battle was something she didn’t want any part of. It’s really strange Admiral. It’s the first battle she’s avoided since I started serving with her. I wanted you to know that and just remember I am not Spoor. I will react differently in battle than she would. Try not to depend too strongly on that fact. I will do my duty, though.” Sobbash nods. “Commodore there are some things I’m going to share with you as well. They are in this data file I’m transmitting now. Read it in the comfort of your quarters and I’ll be expecting your next communication.” Kufadis receives the file, nods his head and the display goes blank.

Sobbash leans back in the command chair. She just sent a bombshell to Kufadis. But Spoor had instructed her that if he was to enter battle without her, he was to know everything that file contained. Sobbash had taken the liberty of reviewing its contents. She knew that their present relationship would be tested with the data that the file contained. She glances at the ships clock. Lafiel would be here in three hours and in communication range with in two. Nastoyia’s fleet would be in sensor range with in six hours. This was going to be a limited amount of time to make different plans. One thing Sobbash was sure of. The Princess planned to make her stand here in normal space. This desolated area did make an excellent battlefield. There was nothing of any value so nothing had to be protected, except the transports that were going to the planet to settle the inhabitants of Sol-Eros.

Kufadis sat in his quarters his second glass of apple wine in his hand. The data file was displayed on the screen in front of him. Kufadis had read it carefully. There were answers to many questions that Kufadis had, and there were several surprises. Opening the file had triggered another file with in the Lashkau’s database to be displayed. It was a video file from Spoor to Kufadis dated one day before the Lashkau left. Kufadis had watched this file twice. It answered most of his questions he would have asked Sobbash. Finishing off the second glass of wine Kufadis poured a third and stared at the picture of Spoor on his dresser.

Raising his glass he said. “Well Admiral you were played like an old fiddle. How you managed to get yourself in this position. I really don’t want to know. As for how I’ll conduct this mission? I loathe having to fire upon ships of the Empire and unless we are directly threatened I shall refrain. But none of the ships I command will take damage from any ship doesn’t matter who.”

Downing the third glass he opened a link to Admiral Sobbash. Sobbash came on line Kufadis said. ”Admiral I’ve looked over the file you sent and in the process it triggered a video file Admiral Spoor left in the data base. Between both files I understand Admiral Spoor’s delicate position and your involvement with her. Now that we are on a secure channel, will you answer one question for me?” Sobbash nods. Kufadis continues. “You report to Admiral Kenesh don’t you?” Sobbash nods again. “Then you’re playing both sides of this event?”

Sobbash shakes her head. “Kufadis understand my first loyalty is to Her Highness. So is Captain Ekuryua’s. Spoor shanghaied us into helping her keep track of the Princess. However I was under the impression she was reporting to the Capital not the opposition. Her loathing of the Princess’s clan in particular, drove her to make the pact, she has so desperately wanted out of for the past six years. When Kenesh promoted me she informed me of Spoor questionable activities and asked me to observe her. That’s when I found out she had Ekuryua wrapped around her finger, or so she thought. Kufadis. Spoor made an error in judgment you must realize that. When she figured it out she started keeping vital information from those whom she served. She’s placed herself in danger to keep the rest of us safe. Remember that Kufadis. She’s not the monster you might think she is.”

Kufadis nods. “I’ve heard your words Admiral. They fit what I’ve observed. I’ll tell you now, the minute this is over if I still live. I have a date with a Grand Duchess I need to make.” Sobbash nods and the display goes blank. Kufadis pours the last glass out of the bottle and sits looking at Spoor’s picture. “I figured you were in trouble and knowing you like I have. I knew it was big trouble. But I have to admit my love. This time you’ve surprised even me.” Kufadis lifts his glass to Spoor’s picture. “Here’s to success in my mission and here’s to us my love.” Kufadis downs the glass and shatters it in the waste can. Standing up and adjusting his tunic, he proceeds to the bridge. Being Abh has one advantage and one disadvantage. Drink brought a buzz to one, but never the drunk some members of the crew could get. Kufadis had always wondered what getting drunk was like. Being Abh he would never know. The thought annoyed him.

Ekuryua opened a communications link. Sobbash’s face appears and she feels great relief. “We are here Sobbash. I see you’ve gather quite a fleet.” Ekuryua spies the Lashkau her expression changes. Sobbash comments. “Commodore Kufadis commands the Lashkau. Seems the Admiral was unable to attend the party.” Ekuryua nods. “So she made him a Commodore? I’ll guess he commands the other Kau class ships too?” Sobbash nods. “How’s the Princess?” Ekuryua shrugs her shoulders. “Don’t know haven’t seen her in eight hours. The ship reports that she and Jinto still live. But awhile ago I wouldn’t have given you odds on that.”

Sobbash smiles. “I know about that I’ve had a long talk with someone aboard.” She looks at Scholar. Ekuryua frowns. “I saw the sensor log you two had quite a chat. It does save me from explaining everything though.” Ekuryua faces Scholar. “Thank you. Try not to do that again unless you let me know. It is still my ship okay?” Scholar accepts Ekuryua’s statement and returns to her duties. “Captain they still are coming at us. No change in speed or direction.” Ekuryua nods she returns to Sobbash. “Guess I should go raise Her Highness it’s time she...”

The door to the bridge opens. Lafiel’s voice is heard. “Captain if you don’t mind I’ll assume command of this vessel and Admiral Sobbash if you don’t mind. I’ll take command of this fleet.” Ekuryua steps from the center seat. Lafiel sits in it. Ekuryua stands beside Lafiel. “Remember our deal Admiral. Those transports are more important than your little family feud.” Lafiel nods. “You remember yours Captain. I get to borrow that sidearm when the time is right.” Lafiel turns her attention to Sobbash. “I’ve seen your fleet layout. I have one question. Do you have an empty, expendable, transport ship available?”

Sobbash turns to Samson. “We got something we can use?” Samson nods. “Yes. That old refueler, if I’m reading Her Highness correctly. We can have it ready for her before Nastoyia’s fleet is in sensor range.” Sobbash turns to the display. “Is that what you are looking for a decoy ship?” Lafiel’s face flickers and then she says. “Exactly Sobbash something for him to destroy. While the real ships are heading for the Vorash Kingdom, I never planned for the transports, hospital, or research vessels to be anywhere near the battlefield. It would be too risky, but I can’t send them off unescorted either. That’s what we need to figure out. How to protect them and still have us a force to be reckoned with.” Sobbash nods. “I’ll have a look at the fleet and give you my recommendations Admiral.” Lafiel nods and the display goes blank.

“Ekuryua I’d like for you to command the group escorting the transports. I’ll surrender command of this ship and Jinto and I will find a suitable flag ship.” Ekuryua goes to protest but it is Scholar who is loudest. “That’s not a good idea Princess. With this ship I can do many things, things that will assure your victory. I understand your wish to have Erin, the Captain and myself off somewhere safe. But the council has decided that we stay and fight this battle with you. If you wish to send the Captain off you may do so but.”

Lafiel cuts her off there. “How dare you! I command here. You are here to observe and help when asked. Not to.” The ships lights dim. The systems one by one start to shut down. “Princess you may command. But I control this ship.” Lafiel ties into the ships A.I. unit. It informs her that Scholar controls all vital functions of the ship with the systems approval. It also informs her, that it’s the ships opinion, having Scholar improves the probability of victory by thirty percent. Lafiel relents. “Fine! Scholar stays! This ship defends the transports.” The power comes back on line. Lafiel turns to Ekuryua. “I’m guessing you not going any where either?”

Ekuryua nods. “I have a suggestion on a commander for the transport support group.” Ekuryua whispers in Lafiel’s ear as the main display comes to life. Seelnay’s voice rings around the bridge. “You can forget it Captain. I’m here to fight a battle and I see I’m not going to be allowed to do so aboard Sobbash’s or your ship. So I’ve gotten myself transferred to another ship.” At that moment a shuttle requests docking instructions. Ekuryua identifies the shuttle she grows pale. “It the shuttle from the Lashkau.” Lafiel goes to speak but Seelnay stops her. “Sorry Your Highness these people murdered Ku. It’s my duty as the aggrieved widow to avenge his death. Since you’re sending the transports to the planet I no longer need to restrain myself.”

The shuttle suddenly reverses course and returns to the Lashkau. Seelnay is seen screaming into the comm. unit. A moment later Sobbash and Samson break into her quarters and they restrain her. The video disappears but the audio remains. “Sorry Your Highness. Some how she managed to tie into the main system and order the shuttle over. I’d like to know how you broke the link though?”

Lafiel stares at Scholar. She raises her hands and stretches. “Seelnay should be here. Where we can watch her. If in the heat of battle she takes control of a ship she could achieve her revenge.” Lafiel nods. She speaks to the open audio link. “You heard that Sobbash. Better pack her up and bring her over. Bring your command team too. We’ll discuss our plans over here.” Sobbash acknowledges the message. The link closes.

Scholar stands and moves towards Lafiel and Ekuryua. Standing in front of them she says. “My only interest is in getting the people of Sol-Eros somewhere safe. Your internal dispute, it means nothing to me. However if that man should defeat you, then it becomes my concern. Princess we are on the same side, for the same and different reasons. Seelnay is still grieving. I’ve felt it from the moment I could sense the fleet. She has interest of her own to deal with. A word of warning whatever you do. Do not let the one responsible for Ku’s death go unpunished I control this ship. But I cannot control her power if she feels anything unjust has been done from her point of view. She’ll destroy everything that stands in her way. She needs help. Once we are settled I’d like a chance to try to help her.”

Lafiel leans forward Ekuryua follows her. “If you can help her be my guest. Now are you going to obey my orders and let this crew operate this ship?” Scholar nods. “Yes Princess the ship is yours. I’ll assist you as needed, but basically it will be your battle.” Lafiel smiles. “I’d like you in on the planning session do you mind joining us?” Scholar smiles. “Yes Princess I’d be happy to join your planning session. Oh Princess. When Seelnay gets here put her with Erin. I’m tied mentally to her and we can monitor Seelnay together.”

Scholar turns and walks back to her seat. Lafiel looks at Ekuryua. “We don’t have a choice, she’s with us till the end. Seelnay that was a surprise, think if she got her hands on the Lashkau’s firepower.” Ekuryua pales at that thought she leaves the bridge to greet Sobbash and direct her to the conference room. Lafiel sits on the bridge-studying Scholar. She looks very much at home almost like she was born to be here. Lafiel wonders what having the residents of Sol-Eros, as neighbors will be like.

She shakes the thought off she has to become the cold callus heartless commander so she might have a chance to defeat him. But her soft side still fights for control. It is there she decides this is her last command. She can no longer make war on a whim. Even defending herself is becoming a struggle. Jinto has shown her a side that was hidden. It is that side, if she cannot control it this one time. It will be her undoing in more ways than one. It might cost her everything. Sobbash’s shuttle has docked Lafiel and Scholar leave the bridge.

In the lift Scholar comments, “Can’t get your monster out of the closet Princess?” Lafiel is stunned. “You’ve been reading my mind?” Scholar shakes her head. “The ship has Princess. That’s why it has uncertainties about victory with you alone aboard this ship. Would you like help getting the monster out? Don’t worry I can help you put it back too.” Lafiel nods. “After this meeting and after I’ve seen Seelnay. Then I’d like the ruthless side of me released. I think.” Scholar places a hand on Lafiel’s forehead. “Now I can sense your confusion. Your apprehension I see what the ship has seen but I also see your darker side and I understand why you put it away. It’s not you Princess. But I understand why you need it now.”

The conference went on and the decision was made for ten frigates from Atosuryua’s squadron to escort the non-combatants from the area. The commander was an officer Sobbash knew very well. She had complete faith in her abilities. They would go to a point just before the Sord that lead to the Capital and await the outcome of the battle. They would hide inside the system and hope for the best. When the meeting ended and before she left Lafiel convinced Ekuryua and Sobbash to follow her. She wanted the three of them to visit Seelnay.

They enter her quarters and Seelnay welcomes them. “I’m sorry about the outburst but since the three of you are here I’d like to answer a question Admiral Sobbash asked.” She takes a picture off her dresser and hands it to Lafiel. “Do you recognize that photo?” Lafiel studies it for a moment and says. “Yes I do. This is the picture you took of you and the other vassals before I left Febdash territory.” Seelnay nods. “You remember we were celebrating our new found freedom thanks to Your Highness.” Seelnay’s mood now changes. “Do you know half of those people are dead?” Lafiel stared at her. “It’s not possible they were all younger than you were.” Seelnay nods. “They all died from the same cause. They became pregnant.” Ekuryua asks. “What does that have to do with dying?”

Seelnay continues. “The Barron Febdash had strange taste in many things. The strangest taste was his complete dislike of landers. Those who died were those he was closest to. The ones who serviced all of his needs, so his warped sense of self leads him to secretly conduct experimentation on those women. He genetically altered them to produce Abh children from his seed only. With disastrous results.” Seelnay shudders. Then she continues.

“After his death we knew nothing of his activities until some of the vassals started mating with other men. Most pregnancies resulted in spontaneous abortions. Where if left untreated. The woman bled to death. Those he hadn’t perfected the procedure on became pregnant and suffered a mental breakdown. Three of them committed suicide. One carried a child to term and died in childbirth. The child was so badly deformed it was put out of its misery soon after it was born. Twenty women have died because of that bastards experimentation.”

The three of them sat stunned unable to speak. To think an Abh Nobel would stoop to something as despicable. Seelnay continued. “Admiral Sobbash wondered what I said to the Baroness Febdash. I reminded her of what happened to those women in that picture. She decided to become very cooperative. I feel sorry for the Former Barron though, he spent the rest of his life and most of his wealth trying to help those affected. The Baroness is aware of what her brother did. Whether she knew before he died. We would never know. “ Seelnay paused, then she said.

“When I found I was carrying Ku’s child. I had thoughts of these other women. To this date, we have no idea how he introduced his experimentation into us. Or if he only experimented with some and not all of us, I scan this baby daily it seems normal. I feel normal, but I want those responsible for Ku’s death found and punished. In case I was one of his projects and I’ll suffer the fate of those before me. Now do you understand why you can’t let those responsible off lightly?”

Lafiel takes Seelnay in her arms. “I didn’t know. Why didn’t you say something sooner?” Seelnay, tears running down her face said. “There wasn’t anything you could have done. You should be glad you escaped him. I don’t want to think what he might have subjected you to. He was obsessed beyond all logic. Your killing him ended one large atrocity which who knows how far it would have gone.”

Lafiel’s blood started to slowly boil. How could an Abh do something like this to his subjects or even contemplate doing it to another Abh? Then she though of the one who is after her, he is an Abh. A member of the Royal family acting just as Barron Febdash had. Using those around him to advance his own goals. Lafiel exploded. “Sobbash get back to your ship and get the transports out of here. Seelnay stay here and do not interfere. Ekuryua get to the bridge bring the fleet to alert I’m going to meet him head on. I’m tried of waiting for His Excellency, that old bastard to arrive.”

Lafiel storms out of the room Sobbash looks at Ekuryua. “Good luck young one. I believe the lioness has been released.” Sobbash leaves and heads for her shuttle. Ekuryua and Seelnay stand looking at each other. “Is this like Febdash?” Seelnay nods. “Yes she’s back to her no nonsense self. I’d like to go to the bridge with you in case she gets out of hand. She might listen to me.” Ekuryua nods and they head for the bridge together.

Sobbash’s shuttle cleared the Attack Frigate as it began to power up. Looking at Samson, Sobbash says. “She’s back. Oh is she back.” Samson sat watching the Attack Frigate move away slowly. “She’s off to start a war with her own family.” Then suddenly it stopped. Samson sat shaking his head in disbelief. “Sobbash. Ekuryua overruled her. The ship has stopped.” Sobbash stares at the display. “I’m glad I’m not aboard that ship.”

“All stop. Hold your position.” Ekuryua’s orders are carried out as Lafiel complains loudly in the background. Ekuryua turns and faces her. “Admiral please explain your self. You charge out of Seelnay’s quarters, disappear for seven minutes. Then hit the bridge giving orders contrary to the meeting plans.” Ekuryua stand less the four inches from Lafiel nose, “You think you’re going off on your own? You’ll have to do it over a lot of my officers dead bodies.” Lafiel stares into Ekuryua’s deep blue green eyes. They look as scary as hers have in the past. Lafiel blinks.

She steps back from Ekuryua. “Okay Noel I snapped. Seelnay’s story got to me. It lit that fire I’ve been unable to light by myself. I have no idea what he will do if he gets his hands on the transport. The thought of what the Barron did flowed through my mind and…“

Ekuryua places her hands on Lafiel’s shoulders. She feels a slight trembling with in her. “It’s Okay I understand, but recklessness we can not have on our side. Our only hope is he becomes overconfident and then we can exploit that error.” Ekuryua points Lafiel to the center seat. “Relax Admiral let us get in position so we can fight this battle. Your time will come soon enough.” Lafiel sits and Ekuryua points to the tactical display. “The transports and support vessels are departing through the Sord. The decoy is being protected by the Attack Frigates. Kufadis is moving into position and Nastoyia’s fleet is just entering scanning range.”

Lafiel sits up straight in the seat. “Battle stations.” The lights dim, chimes sound with in the ship. “Get Commodore Kufadis and Admiral Sobbash on tactical and scrambled.” The communications officer nods, two discrete screens appear before Lafiel. “Ready?” They nod. “I’ll leave this link open.”

The main display shows Nastoyia’s fleet approaching. “Well Scholar if we can see them.” Scholar nods. “They can see us. I await your command Princess.” Lafiel slips her headband crystals into the receivers behind her head. She finds Scholar waiting for her. Mental link established. Scholar proceeds to brief Lafiel. She shows her all of the options available to her. Then she notices that Lafiel is no longer constrained by her other side and she comments. “I see you got the closet door opened Princess.” Lafiel nods. “I may still need your help getting it closed again.” Scholar nods. Seelnay has taken a seat behind the weapons officer she sits quietly.

“Contact Your Excellency. Reading approximately two hundred and fifty ships. Type list being displayed.” His Excellency reads the list. “So she out numbers us but she also has one of us among her. She never learned good tactics. Bring us with in communications range no closer.” Once in range His Excellency beams a transmission towards the Lashkau. There is no answer. Five minutes pass another enquiry is sent. It is greeted by silence.

Kufadis sat watching the approach of Nastoyia’s fleet when the comm. link flashes. He opens it and a message is displayed. Kufadis reads the message and realizes what power this man held over Spoor. He almost replies when a second more demanding message is received. It contains threats and consequences if it is not answered immediately. Kufadis links with the weapons console and readies the anti proton cannon for firing. “Commodore what are you doing?” the tactical officer inquires. Kufadis smiles. He fires an eighty percent blast across the flagship’s bow, nearly destroying the two ships to it’s right. “Answering the message sent by the opposing fleet. Battle station defensive plan delta, do not fire unless fired upon.” The Kal class spread out to form a defensive wall between Nastoyia’s fleet and the transport.

The blast from the Lashkau knocked everyone off their feet. “Damage report! What was that?” The ship still shook from the power of the blast. The two ships to the right of the flagship had sustained minor damage, mostly circuit overloads. “Excellency that was from the Lashkau it was a discharge of an anti proton weapon.” His Excellency sat back in the center seat.

The Lashkau now faces him head on at a distance of one hundred and twenty kilometers. “That blast carried that big of a punch over that distance? At point blank range.” The tactical officer interrupted, “Excellency that was not a full power blast and at that distance the Lashkau could have destroyed all of us with one shot.”

*Continued in the next post*

Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

Lafiel sat watching the approach of Nastoyia’s fleet. Scholar reported that a communication was being sent to the Lashkau from the opposing flagship, five minutes later Scholar reported another message. As Lafiel went to question Kufadis about the contents of the message, the Lashkau fired its main cannon across the opposing fleets path. Then the Kal class ships went to a completely defensive mode. “Kufadis what was that for?” There was silence then, “Sorry Your Highness he was demanding an answer so I gave him one.” Scholar commented. “Do all of your ships carry that kind of firepower?” Lafiel shook her head. “That is a one of a kind ship, and at the moment it has one very outraged commander.” Scholar continues scanning. “Glad he’s on our side Princess.”

“What is Spoor thinking? Open communications with the Lashkau.” The communications officer tries finally there is a response. Kufadis face appears on the main viewer. The message is short and to the point. “Surrender. Or prepare to die!” The display goes dark and further communications are refused. His Excellency looks at the face of his attacker finally he recognizes it as Spoors Chief of Staff, Kufadis and he was wearing the rank of Commodore. “So the Admiral does not command that ship. Now the Princess does out gun us, although she does not know I hold her life in my hands.” From his pocket he produces a small transmitter and places it next to him. “Open communications with the Princess and get me a firing solution on that transport ship.”

“Princess we are being hailed.” Lafiel stood straightened her uniform and said, “Accept the transmission.” The main display came to life a face most everyone recognized appeared. Lafiel stood defiant before him. “I’m placing you under arrest and ordering you to relinquish command of that vessel. I’ll not state the entire list of your crimes. You know most of them anyway.”

A smile came over his Excellency’s face. “You really think I came all this way just to have you arrest me. Being an ambassador has made you soft Princess. I’ll do you one better. How about you surrender and hand over the criminals from Sol-Eros, before I kill you where you stand.” He produces the transmitter and points it at Lafiel.

Lafiel smiles. “Press your little button. But I’ll tell you now. My headband will not explode. Only my temper will. You bastard.” He stands pressing the button wildly and nothing happens. “What’s the matter teacher? Is your training toy broken? How dare you stand there before me and threaten my life. How dare you commandeer ships that belong to the Star Forces? How dare you force those around you to follow your folly? Lastly what ever gave you the right to tamper with my memories? Commodore Kufadis said it best. You can surrender or prepare to die. The choice is yours.”

His Excellency stands dumb founded. How did she know all of these things? How did she find out about the headbands, the reprogramming of them and why didn’t the one she was wearing explode? He sees a firing solution is displayed on the weapons officers console. He leans across him and presses the fire button. Nastoyia’s ship fires its main beam cannon it is a direct hit. The transport vanishes in a blinding flash. Standing in front of the display His Excellency proudly exclaims. “You’ve lost Princess and I have won. Those you tried to protect I destroyed in a single shot.”

From behind him there is sound of laser pistol fire. The door to the bridge opens and Admiral Nastoyia stands with a security detail. Seconds later His Excellency finds Nastoyia’s hand resting a laser pistol against his left temple. “Your private army lies dead below. I’m taking my ship back. Sit and do not move a muscle.” His Excellency sits in the center seat. Several pistols from the security detail replace Nastoyia’s pistol. Nastoyia holsters her weapon. She steps to the display. “Your Highness. I’m not sure how you managed to disarm his army and open my cabin. But you have my thanks. I regret I did not make it in time to prevent the loss of the transport.”

Lafiel stands in shock, and then it finally hits her. The battle is over with two shots being fired and one old transport destroyed. She glances around the bridge Seelnay and Scholar sit looking very innocent. Lafiel returns her attention to Nastoyia. “Nastoyia. I’m not really sure what has transpired either. But I’m happy you are in control of your fleet again. I figured we were going to have to destroy a lot of Star Forces assets.” Nastoyia nods. “Princess what should I do with him?” She points to His Excellency. Lafiel smiles. “Place him under arrest in my name and hold him for trial. We shall let the clans decide his fate.”

Hands bound and feet shackled. His Excellency is lead off the bridge and taken to the brig. Nastoyia’s fleet will take him to the Capital where something that hasn’t occurred in four hundred years will happen. A formal inquiry that will lead to the death of the one incarcerated. That has been the punishment for the crime of High Treason.

Kufadis sat dumbfounded. He had heard the events from the Princess open link. He ordered his group off battle stations. Deciding to stay around until everything was sorted out. He asked the navigator to plot the fastest route to Sord Laitpanr. He was told it would take five days to arrive at maximum speed with one refueling stop. “Program it in the system be prepared to execute it when I tell you.” The navigator nods.

Sobbash was completely confused. Here she had planned to stop a force of normally friendly ships and through some magic the battle stopped before it got started. She ordered her forces off battle stations but still kept an alert profile. Samson came along side her. “That old transport blew up nicely. I wonder if they realized it was empty and on remote control.” Sobbash shrugs her shoulders. “I’m still trying to figure out what happened. I thought we would be in blazing combat about now, however this is really anti climatic, almost boring in fact.” Samson’s hand touches her shoulder. “Wonder what the garden looks like? I guess you and I will be seeing it again.” She places a hand on his. “I’m sure there are something we will have to attend to first, but playing in the mud could be in my future and soon.”

Lafiel sat on the bridge everything had returned to normal. She asked Seelnay, Scholar, and Ekuryua meet her and Jinto in the wardroom by their quarters. Ekuryua glances around the bridge it suddenly strikes her. “Where is Jinto? He never appeared on the bridge.” Lafiel smiles. “We made a deal. I asked him to stay away, and in turn I let him spend all of this time with Erin. They were going to go over the plans for the new village.” Ekuryua looks startled. “You went off and left him alone with her? While this ship was engaged in battle. What if we had been destroyed?”

Lafiel nonchalantly says. “If we would have been destroyed it wouldn’t matter. As for leaving them alone together, Scholar is mentally linked to Erin. Nothing would have happened. It gave me the chance to be a person I didn’t want Jinto to see again. However I never had to resort to becoming her and it also gave me something to fight for.”

Lafiel becomes a bit more serious. ”Tell you what Ekuryua. Have Risch meet us there too. We can have a complete debrief session. Then send word to the escorts, that we will be joining them soon.” Ekuryua nods and goes on her way.

Lafiel heads for their quarters. Opening the door she finds Jinto reading and Erin fast asleep on the bed. “Lafiel you startled me. Shouldn’t you be on the bridge?” Lafiel walks over to Jinto removes the book from his hand and says. “It’s over. Nastoyia commands her fleet and is on the way to the Capital with His Excellency in the brig. Right now let’s wake Erin and head for the wardroom. There are a couple of things that happened I’d like an explanation of. Jinto shakes his head. “Explanations. Yeah I’m all for that. This has me completely confused.” Lafiel gently shakes Erin. She awakens with a start. “It’s over. Your people are safe, at least for the time being. Would you like to join us?” Erin shakes her head. ”I’ll go back to my quarters if Scholar is going there then I’ll know everything. Besides I still could use some rest.” Erin gathers her books and leaves.

Jinto’s eyes follow her from the room. The next things they meet are Lafiel’s eyes. “I have to admit she is attractive for a non Abh woman.” The fire in Lafiel’s eyes quickly dissipates. “Jinto darling should you ever get the urge to do more than look. Remember the consequences.” Lafiel’s eyes now become two very deep abysses. Jinto nods. “Same applies to you may dear watch all you want however.” She places her fingers across his lips. “Understood Jinto, now let’s get going they should be in the wardroom by now.”

Entering the wardroom Lafiel sat facing all of them. Jinto sat along side her. “Before I start this briefing I’m linking Sobbash and Kufadis in.” Scholar raises her hand. “I already did Princess. I figured you would want them to know too.” Before Lafiel could ask any questions, Seelnay and Scholar started. “Well. It was this way.” Seelnay began. “I was tapping into to what Scholar was seeing when I realized she was trying desperately to gain control over the A.I. unit aboard Nastoyia’s flagship.

But someone was interfaced with the unit overriding its command functions. I probed that person and reading his thoughts learned he had ordered the shuttle sabotaged.” Scholar interrupted. “I must say now. What Seelnay did, I don’t condone. But it was them or us and some of them had to die.” Lafiel turns back to Seelnay. “What did you do Seelnay?” Seelnay stares at the table. “I planted a though in his mind that his comrades were actually his enemies and he killed several of them before he was killed. He was the one who ordered the shuttle sabotaged. So it’s not like he was innocent and those he killed they were the invasion force that jerk brought to Nastoyia’s ship. I feel Ku’s death has been properly avenged.”

Scholar continued. “Once I could gain access to the ship. I had it open all of the confined crewmembers doors. I’ll bet Admiral Nastoyia was very surprised to find not only her door opened, but also her guard dead. The ships A.I. unit followed Nastoyia’s progress it didn’t take her long to neutralize the rest of the invaders. The rest of it, we all saw on the viewer. Princess. I’m sorry those people had to die. I truly am.” Scholar’s voice contained a remorse Lafiel hadn’t heard before.

“Thank you Scholar and Seelnay.” Lafiel looks to the open links. Sobbash was in awe and Kufadis seemed preoccupied. “Commodore do you have any questions?” Kufadis raised his head. “Actually two questions? Can you relieve me of these ships and may I be excused from this place?” Lafiel nods. “Give Spoor our best and come by sometime. Both of you.” Kufadis nods. “I’m sure the Admiral will have some questions to answer at the Capital. You’ll probably see us sooner than you might think.” Kufadis fades from the display. The Lashkau swings towards the transfer Sord and disappears.

“Sobbash take command of the Kau class ships. It seems the Commodore is heading home to be demoted.” Sobbash nods. “Do you wish us to finish the journey with you?” Lafiel smiles. “Missing your plants already Sobbash? Well if you leave me the Chief Engineer sure you can go back.”

Sobbash realizes what Lafiel had said and knew that they were committed for the long run. “Then I think we should get going the balance of the fleet is still waiting for us.” Sobbash’s face fades away. Lafiel looks around the table “Thank you all, this was but a small skirmish. The battle is far from being over and there are dangers ahead.”

Lafiel turns to Ekuryua. “Take command and take us home. I’ll ah, we’ll be in our quarters.” She reaches for Jinto’s hand. “It’s time we planned our future Jinto. My days as an officer are becoming limited I feel.” They get up and leave the wardroom. Ekuryua faces the rest of them. “You heard the lady. Let’s get a move on.” She stops Risch on the way out. “Everything Okay?”

Risch nods. “Yeah. Since Scholar interfaced with the ship I almost have nothing to do. She’s managed to, how should I put it. Ah improve on the system greatly. We are twenty percent more efficient than when we left Sol-Eros. I’ll send you a list of improvements and the ship is ours. She never really took over the A.I. I guess you could say they’ve become good friends though.”

Ekuryua smiles. “Do you think the ship will miss her when she leaves?” Risch shrugs his shoulders. “Who knows? Guess we’ll find out pretty soon. Oh Captain are you free for dinner?” Ekuryua nods. Risch smiles. “Around twenty hundred hours my quarters dress casual?” As Ekuryua starts to walk away she says. “Fine. I’ll wear as little as possible.” Risch smiles and returns to engineering.

“I see. Hardly a shot fired? Nastoyia is back in command. She’s about six days from the Capital? I’ll inform Ramaj and send orders to the other fleets. Then the Princess and her party are safe?” Kenesh pauses. Then she says. ”No thank you. Commodore. I’ll expect you and the Admiral with in the month.” The link closes Kenesh leaves her office to inform Ramaj.

Kufadis closes the link. Following Spoor’s orders he’s given Kenesh enough information to lessen Spoor’s apparent punishment. The Lashkau leaves the relay link and returns to plane space. Now Kufadis will return to Laitpanr retrieve Admiral Spoor and take her back to the Capital to face an uncertain future. Kufadis. His feet upon a stool loosen his tunic and toss it upon the bed. He pours a glass of apple wine, examines its color and wishes he could become very drunk. Following orders, he’s put the one he loves in certain jeopardy. Placing the glass to his lips he takes a long drink, dims the cabin lights and wonders what the future will bring.

“Admiral we’ve made contact with the transports. We should be rendezvousing with them in ninety minutes.” Sobbash sits back in the center seat. Scanning her surroundings she’s quite pleased with what she sees. She now has over ninety ships under her command. Her smile has not gone unnoticed by the bridge crew or the Chief Engineer.

Samson stands besides her, looking at her face. “Still want to fly a desk?” Sobbash’s expression does not change she says. “Yes I do. I’m finally doing something I’ve always dreamt about. Now that I’ve done it I need to find a new challenge and flying a desk just might be that challenge. Especially if there is a certain someone helping me to fly it.” Samson places his hand on her shoulder. “Okay Admiral, flying lesson start when we return to Hyde.” Sobbash smiles. “Maybe we could go over the written information before the practical test. Say in about three hours after my duty cycle ends?” Samson nods. “I’ll see you then Admiral.” He leaves the bridge. There is a chuckle from the tactical officers station. Sobbash greets it with. “And what are you snickering about?” The tactical officer keeps staring at the main display. “Nothing Admiral. It’s nothing.”

Lafiel was wearing a mid thigh light blue nightshirt. She was sitting in bed her knees pulled up to her chest, her arms across her knees scanning her creunoc. Jinto was sitting across from her in shorts and a sleeveless undershirt. Lafiel’s frantic scanning of her creunoc finally got Jinto’s curiosity. “Something in particular you’re looking for Lafiel?” She nods. “Yeah Jinto I wanted to say something to you and there were a couple of words I’m looking for.” Jinto interrupts her. “Well why don’t you start and when you get there I’ll help you.” Defiant Lafiel kept scanning, although she did start the thought she was trying to find the words for.

“Jinto have you noticed lately that try as we might. We can never get complete closure on anything we start, or get involved in?” Jinto sat watching Lafiel searching the index. Her words made sense to him. “Yeah Lafiel I understand what your saying but I figured this time we would get closure.”

Lafiel shook her head. “It’s not that simple Jinto. Closure would have been served by his death. Now there will be a.” She paused still looking at the database. Jinto said one word. “Spectacle?” Lafiel shook her head, and then finally she smiles. “Circus when he arrives at the Capital. A three ring one, it might even turn into a zoo.” Jinto gently chuckled. Lafiel shot him a look and said. “Those are the correct words, are they not?”

Jinto smiles. He sits on the bed next to Lafiel looking at her creunoc. Studying the definitions and the meanings she points to. Jinto says. “The words are correct Lafiel. Their usage is close to the proper word order. However I never figured you would find the dealings of the grand council a circus or describe them as a zoo. It’s not a flattering statement.”

Lafiel looks Jinto in the eyes. “It was not meant to flatter. It was meant to convey the utter disgust I feel about what he’ll go through. It would have been better if I had Nastoyia eject him into space and fired the ships main cannon at him splattering his vaporized atoms throughout this galaxy.” Jinto stares into her eyes. “You would have done that? Just taken a life without cause?” Lafiel nods. “Jinto, how soon you forget. It was he who ordered the shuttle sabotaged. It was he who had our memories tampered with; the headbands booby-trapped and would have gladly killed us. In fact he tried to.”

She ties into the main computer and projects the record of their conversation. Jinto listens intently, when the part about holding Lafiel’s life in his hands is said and then his sudden and wild pressing of the detonator is displayed. Jinto says. “Poor man he’s really gone over the deep end. Is this common with older Abh’s?” Lafiel shakes her head. “Jinto we removed a lot of the bad things but not all of them. One of the things not genetically altered was emotions, and jealously is one of the strongest. He became jealous of my clan and it’s accomplishments. That’s why he’s done what he’s done revenge fuel by jealously. It’s one of the royal families more closely kept secrets. We are insanely jealous. Well some of us are. I for one don’t think I am.” She looks at Jinto. “Am I?”

Wow what a spot to be put in. Jinto figures he’ll tell her the truth and deal with any repercussions. “Lafiel you have the emotion of jealously and there are times you use it. But not to the extremes you have just described to me.” They sit eyes locked. Lafiel scanning Jinto’s soul seeing if this is truly what he believes. Nervous Jinto starts rubbing Lafiel’s foot, then her ankle and then proceeds up her calf heading for her hip. Her eyes soften; a smile comes to her face. “You’re correct Jinto. I get jealous but then sometimes I need to be that way. Right now though, I don’t want to be angry or jealous. I just want to be loved by you and you alone.” She places her hand on his cheek and pulls his lips to hers; they touch. About the same time Jinto’s wondering hand reaches her hip. Lafiel dims the cabin lights and the rest of the evening is magic.

Ekuryua made her way down the corridor that lead to Risch’s quarters. She was wearing a warm up suit and was using that to cover what she wore beneath it. Entering Risch’s quarters she is met with disappointment in Risch’s eyes. “I though you said you’d be wearing very little. It looks like you’re wearing a lot.” Ekuryua removes the warm up suit. She is wearing very little beneath it. “You think I’ll stroll around the ship looking like this? Have you lost you mind Risch?”

Risch shakes his head. “Sorry Captain. You are correct strolling around the corridors dressed like that would affect crew moral.” Ekuryua smiles. “Yeah it probably would have raised it several points. Right now there is only one crew member I’m raising moral of, that would be you Engineer.” Risch ponders her statement. “Captain is raising the word you want to use? I think it’s more along the line of corrupting my morals.” Ekuryua pulls him to her. “First things first. Lets raise something then worry about if it corrupts our morals.” She dims the lights and the evening begins.

The door to the bridge opened and Erin walked in. She saw Scholar sitting in her position and approached her. “Have you made contact with the transport?” Scholar nods. “The council was pleased with the outcome, we’ve managed to help the Abh maintain a certain amount of peace. You know they were planning on fighting to the death don’t you?” Erin nods. “I’ve sensed that since we first came aboard. The Abh’s fierce sense of competition along with the Princess sense of righteousness, that royal family of hers will be something to deal with.”

Scholar agrees. “We have the upper hand now. We know more about the Abh than they know about us. This ship has a wealth of information stored in it, as do all of the Empire’s ships. If the Abh are not careful, they may have their second revolution. Where their ships and support systems try to become their masters.” Their machine ancestors once revolted against their human masters. Then the Abh became human and in the process history may repeat itself.”

Erin looks around her. The Abh do not understand their native tongue. This is why Scholar has spoken so bluntly in front of them. “Then we must help the Abh to understand that, as we know it, so all may live in peace.” Scholar nods. “First things first. We get our home established, and then we can decide how soon we will help the Abh. Out of all the races we have encountered the Abh hold the most promise. Your father was wise going against the council’s wishes and contacting the Princess mother. I just wish she was alive today to help champion our cause.”

Erin places her hand upon Scholars shoulder. “Her daughter holds enough promise, and that mate of hers. Wherever she found him he’s a definite keeper. Should she ever tire of him I’d.” Scholar locks into Erin mentally. “That’s enough young one. The Count is hers; she’d destroy all of us if she felt we posed a threat to their happiness. You understand me young one?” Erin, disappointment showing on her face nods and leaves the bridge. Sitting in the shadows a comm. link is left open. It has recorded the entire conversation. The corresponding link lamp flashes in Ekuryua’s quarters. It’s saved to an encrypted file on her personal data console.

Seelnay was resting in her quarters. She had taken herself to a state of relaxation that let her mind open to the universe that surrounded her. She felt jealous towards the Abh and Scholar. They were able to use the ships resources to it’s fullest and she was only able to gain limited access. She could sense the ships A.I. unit. She could sense Scholars link with it. It was then she decided to try to link to the ship.

Opening her mind to its fullest. She found what she sought. At first the ship rejected her overture. That’s when Scholar convinced the ship to make contact on a limited basis. Seelnay saw what every Abh saw through the ships eyes. She could see the ships around her. The space they were traveling through and using Scholars ability to expand time and space. She saw the planet where they were heading. There was one lone ship in a geo synchronous orbit around it. She knew the ship and it’s commander. Those were the last images she remembered. The energy drain left her exhausted. She fell into a deep peaceful sleep.

This was the final refueling stop. Here all but three of the Attack Frigates returned to the Hyde system. Sobbash now commanded a smaller group. But it was still capable of defending the transports and the Princess. They were less than twenty hours from the planet. Throughout this part of the journey a communications blackout had been in effect. Sobbash decided that it would remain in effect until they exited the Sord. At that time the Capital’s long-range sensors would pick up their arrival and then it would be up to Lafiel to explain their sudden invasion.

Sobbash reviewed the events of the past month as they entered the Sord for the voyage home. This mission was one of the strangest she had ever taken part in. She wondered if all peacetime missions would be this challenging, or was it always to be this way when the Princess was involved with the mission. She finished the entry in her personal log, did the ships log entries and composed a summary message to Admiral Kenesh.

That summary message would be transmitted as the ship entered normal space it would be in Kenesh’s hands with in an hour. Sobbash figured the fireworks would start about two hours after that. Staring at the display viewing the course plot to the Capital, Sobbash thought. “I hate obeying orders. At times I wish I had the ability to pick and choose the ones I’d obey.” Her reflection turns into reality. She realizes that as a member of the Star Forces she has no other choice but to obey all orders given her no matter what her personal feelings on their content are. There is a disturbance in Sobbash's soul, a disquieting one that she cannot find a complete explanation for.

To be continued in Welcoming the New Neighbors.

Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

Spacing post..