17_Welcoming the New Neighbors

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

17_Welcoming the New Neighbors

Post by Diaho »

Welcoming the new neighbors.

The blast of cold air passed through the open covers, and Ekuryua sat up with a start. The cabin door was closing it seems that Risch had left her sleeping and started his next duty cycle. Unfortunately he failed to cover her properly and the sudden change in temperature woke her from a sound sleep. Putting on her warm up suit she left his quarters and made her way back to her quarters. Closing the door behind her she is greeted by a flashing light on her console. Playing the recording she’s annoyed at first, then after running it through the ships translator, she becomes very intrigued with its contents. “So they know all about us and they want to try to straighten us out?” Ekuryua mused.

That conversation gave her hope, a hope she had long since put aside, that the Empire somehow would become a more stable place to live in and that the demands on every member of the race could be reduced. The war had taken its toll on the Empire. The lives lost had place a great strain on the Abh. Now they found a race, related and willing to help. Would the arrogance of the royal family stop the residents of Sol Eros? Ekuryua figured no, since they were now under Lafiel’s protection no other member would dare do anything to harm them. But would the Grand Council take advice from strangers? Could the members of Sol-Eros really change the Abh’s lives for the better? Ekuryua ponders these issues as she lay in her bunk, finally the sleep Risch had kept her from took hold of her and now dreams replaced logic.

Lafiel’s sudden movement, plus a well-placed foot, woke Jinto. He turned to find her laying on her back snoring. There were only a few occasions where Lafiel snored although she would defiantly denied it, this time Jinto was prepared to prove it. His creunoc pointed at his love he recorded a session that Lafiel later could not deny. The recording finished he gently placed his fingers over her nose and gave a quick squeeze. Lafiel shook and swatted at him then rolled on her side as the snoring subsided. Later they awoke facing each other.

“Jinto you awake?” Jinto’s head nods. “I just had the weirdest dream wanna hear it?” One eye opens slightly Jinto lays watching Lafiel. “Sure I’m interested.” Lafiel then says. “Remember the first time you ever questioned my judgment?” Jinto’s eye blinks. Lafiel continues. “I said I had a feeling, you called it a hunch and we decided on intuition. Remember?” Jinto stirs. “Yeah right after we were stranded in plane space and lost the Seigroil. You made that mad dash forward and you were right that time. You’ve proved time and again Lafiel your hunches are pretty well on the mark.” Jinto lies puzzled. “So what does this have to do with your dream?”

Lafiel lays on her back and stares at the ceiling. “Jinto a lot has happened this past month. We’ve both done and said things to each other that we never would have dreamed of. My dream was, I said something to you and you finally got angry and left me. From that moment on I could not make a rational decision. I’ve realized I’m totally dependent on you and I was never that way, before, I met you. I made decisions I’ll admit some of them were wrong but I was only sixteen when we met. It was my growing time I was allowed, to a certain extent, to make mistakes. In my dream I was trying to have a normal life without you and it was becoming very difficult almost impossible. I lie here next to you and know I can go on by myself if I need to. But Jinto I also realize that you’ve become an emotional part of me, a part I would miss very much if it was to leave me.”

Jinto took his arm and braced him self up on his side so he could see Lafiel’s face. What he saw was no surprise. Two tear stained eyes greeted him. He gently kissed her trembling lips and said. “You are aware everything you’ve said applies to me as well Lafiel?” She had a look of amazement on her face Jinto continued. “From the moment I blocked what I thought was a blow. But turned out to be a salute from you, I knew you were the one I wanted to spend my life with. Lafiel we’ve had many close calls, a lot of disagreements and we have done a lot of growing up together. I’ve gotten use to the fact that you are who you are and that sometimes you must do what you must and I’ve tried very hard not to interfere unless you were going to prove a danger to yourself or the crew.”

Lafiel’s eyes narrowed for a moment. “Still trying to be my guardian Jinto?” Jinto shook his head. “You've misunderstood me Lafiel. I am your friend. Friends help and look out for each other. Guardians protect those who cannot protect themselves, and honey you’ve never had a problem protecting yourself. I’ve spent all of my time with you, listening to you, commenting on your thoughts, offering my suggestion and lately wanting to be included in everything you do. But I realize that a part of you is fiercely independent and I’ve accepted that fact. That’s why I stayed with Erin instead of being on the bridge the last battle you had. Erin is a good person Lafiel. However you were right in one thing. She is not the type of woman I could love or care about as much as I do you.” Lafiel’s face relaxed. The tears started to flow uncontrollably. She managed to get these word out. “Jinto is this the unconditional love that you have spoken of?” Jinto nods. Lafiel rolls into his arms and sobs. “I love you Jinto. But why do I always treat you so badly?” Before he can speak she says. “At this rate I’ll never be a good parent. There is no way I’ll treat a child like I’ve treated you Jinto.” She presses her self into his side. It’s there they fall into a deep dream less sleep.

Erin slept as Scholar sat looking over the plans for the new village. This new planet resembled Sol-Eros slightly. The area the Princess had chosen for them was much better than being on the coast of Sol-Eros. This planets climate was very uniform; the seasons came every four months, like clockwork and the temperature varied and average of sixty degrees, from the twenties during the winter to the eighties during the summer. This place was a paradise compared to where they came from. The only thing that bothered Scholar was the planets name. In Abh it was very unattractive as far as the star charts went it was a planet in the Abuse system. Scholar though, “First thing we do is change the name of this planet, after we get settled, that Abh name is horrid.” Erin stirred for a moment and returned to sleeping. Scholar slipped into the bunk on the other side of the room. The ships A.I. bid her good night and watched over her as she slept.

“Admiral Nastoyia? Admiral can you hear me?” Nastoyia lay sleeping, for her it was the first deep sleep she had in a long time, however the First Officer was not accepting this fact, he needed her awake now, this matter could not wait. The pounding on the door sat her straight up in bed, ignoring how she was attired she punched the door open button and stood staring at a very surprised First Officer. “What is it? This better be good or I’ll have.” Getting over the fact that his commanding officer stood half naked before him he spoke. “He’s dead Admiral. He died in his sleep. I guess it was his time to go.”

Nastoyia, her head still full of cobwebs stood for a moment. Then her First Officers words sunk in. “His Excellency is dead? Died in his sleep you say. Crap. Her Highness is going to have my hide over this one and Ramaj will probably feed me to the cats. Just what the hell did I do to deserve this? Tell me?” Her First Officer stood silent before her. Nastoyia was wearing only a bra and panties. This outfit left nothing to his imagination. Nastoyia finally saw the look in his eyes and felt the cold of the ship over coming her anger. Not flinching she said. “Ignore my looks and answer my question.” His eyes stop scanning her and froze into hers. “Admiral I have no idea what you said or did to deserve this, however, might I suggest a change of wardrobe before you accompany me to the brig. Maybe the medical staff has an answer to your question I have none Admiral.”

Nastoyia steps back into her quarters the door slamming behind her. The First Officer got to relax for a moment then the door slide back open. Nastoyia stood in uniform top and slacks she said. “I suggest you forget what you saw when you arrived here. Your life span will increase markedly if you do. Now let’s go to the brig First Officer.” Nastoyia took the lead. Her first officer a few steps behind her, observing her walking along and wondering what the side he was following looked like clad as the front half of her had been.

Entering the brig the medical spoke. “Sorry Admiral there was nothing I could have done. He should have died a couple of months ago. We found these in his effects.” She hands Nastoyia a bottle of pills. Nastoyia looks at them and gasps. “Are these what I think they are?” The medical officer nods. “Yes they are. Besides being highly illegal to produce. If I wasn’t here you could be put to death by having them in your possession.” Nastoyia hands the bottle back to the medical officer. ”Where do you think he got these from?”

The medical officer shakes her head. “I’ll have to run some test. I figure they were homemade. He did hold several degrees in the medical arts and this would be a simple formula to do given his connections.” Nastoyia shook her head. “Life extending pills were outlawed six hundred years ago. They never worked as promised and the brain deteriorated at such a rate that a vegetative brain controlled the body within six months. You can’t cheat your genes.” Nastoyia turns and leaves the brig. Now she had to compose a report that would surely turn the Capital on its ear. As she left the First Office asked the medical officer. “Doc? How old do you think the Admiral is?” The Medical Officer smiles. “She almost middle-age that’s all I’ll tell you.” The First Officer leaves the medical officer. His thoughts return to his view of the Admiral from earlier. A small smile appears on his face as he heads for the bridge.

Dustain sits quietly reading. His terminal has limits built into it and normally several times daily he finds a page he’s not able to view. That message confronts him now. He tried to request the history of a certain member of the Crybh family. Her picture faces him on the display the only thing he knows she is the First Princess of that clan. The camera that monitors him is also transmitting what he is viewing to Dr. Sasoum’s office. She decides to end his constant search for information concerning this Princess. Leaving her office she consults with Admiral Kenesh. There is an agreement to give Dustain enough information to keep him from pursuing any further inquiries about Lafiel Ablïarsec.

The door opens as Dustain darkens the display. Dr. Sasoum enters and says. “Put the display back on.” The display lightens and Lafiel’s face is seen with a brief history next to it. The rest of the page is censored. “You want to know about her don’t you?” Dustain nods. The doctor proceeds to give him a bit broader history of Lafiel Ablïarsec.

“So she’s important to the Empire? Does she have someone?” Sasoum picks up on his thoughts. “She is joined to a Count, as far as her importance to the Empire is concerned. Every subject of the Empire plays an important role in the welfare of the whole.”

Dustain takes this moment to ask a question he’s been harboring for awhile. “Doctor how much longer do I stay in this facility? I was assured that soon I’d be able to move freely about the Capital but I sit here confined. I’m not bothered about having information censored but what is my status. Am I your prisoner or am I a subject of this Empire? Where do I stand?” Doctor Sasoum faces him. “I’m not the one who you need to address that question to. However I’ll be seeing her soon. I’ll relay your concerns to her at that time. I’ll also make sure to get you an answer as soon a possible.”

Dustain returns to his display. “Thank you, Doctor. I’ll be awaiting your return.” Dr Sasoum leaves the room. Dustain enters another search and Admiral Kenesh’s face appears on the screen. Leaning back in his chair he muses. “So this is the one that my clone had relations with. I wonder what she is like?” He returns his thoughts to the terminal and does a history search which he finds two thirds of the page censored.

Turning off the terminal he leaves the room headed for the observation lounge at least there he can see something that’s not censored, space and the view of the royal shipyards. One thing Dustain has learned the United Mankind was never going to defeat the Abh. Their resources and resolve were such that they were going to fight to the last soul. Something the U.M.K. never had the stomach to do. The stars shone and the shipyard was ablaze with activity.

Aboard Ekuryua’s attack frigate, in the crew dining area, was a table reserved for the Captain or other V.I.P.’s. It was this table where Scholar and Erin sat eating quietly while the rest of the crew watched. Their incredible beauty amazed the Abh born members of the crew. The citizen Abh members were surprised by the liberties these strangers were being granted. Scholar sensed these apprehensions, and a mental link to Erin confirmed she was feeling them as well. “Young one don’t be afraid they do not know us, their apprehension is shared.” Erin nods, “I feel like their eyes are trying to gain access to my soul. What shall we do?” Scholar smiles “For now child we do nothing. We will soon be off this ship and in a place were no one will bother us.”

They continue eating, once finished they place their trays in the disposal bin and return to their quarters. Scholar makes sure Erin is relaxed before she heads to the bridge. A chat with the ships A.I. is one of the first things she plans. This feeling she sensed in the crew dining area, she wanted an explanation of it and the ships A.I. was the first place to start. Linking into the ships sensors she first communicates with the transport. The council has not sensed the feelings that Scholar has, the Abh aboard this ship seem very preoccupied with their safety and welfare to go into any long-term observations of their passengers. Her conversation with the A.I. unit opened her eyes to the crew’s impressions of them. At first the crew was not impressed with them at all. Now, since Scholar’s small feats of magic have been preformed, it was the general conscious of the crew that having them as friends was a good idea. However they had remained so aloof, that the crew figured all Sol Erosions thought they were better than the Abh, something the A.I. related was a total hostile feeling to the Abh.

Scholar leans back in her chair, the members of the bridge crew are watching her every movement. She muses, “So we’ve left them with the impression that we are better than they are. I’ll need to convince them that we are only different, not better, before I leave this ship or the rumors will fly and someone somewhere will come looking for those arrogant people.” She gently shakes her head from side to side, “We are not arrogant, and the Abh are, to a certain extent. I guess now is as good as a time as any to start explaining my people to these Abh.”

Scholar turns to a shocked Navigator and starts a discussion with her about how the ship functions. At first the Navigator was reluctant to talk to her, then, finally she opened up. Scholar sat listening and asking questions. One by one other members of the bridge crew started asking Scholar questions. She truthfully answered each and every one of them. By the time Ekuryua came to the bridge a conversation of cultures was underway, all the time Scholar was monitoring the ship, she also managed to answer every question posed to her. Finding the center seat empty, Ekuryua sat listening to the conversation, the crew was so involved in quizzing Scholar they had not noticed the Captain coming on the bridge.

It was when the First Officer turned to go back to his station he noticed her sitting there. “Ah Captain when did you get here?” Ekuryua smiled, “The seat was cold when I sat in it, how long were you away from your station?” The First Officer froze she had just jarred him back to reality as only she could. Before he could speak she finished her thought. “I’m glad you finally got to know Scholar as I have and I’m happy the crew has a better understanding, next time you decide to have a conversation like this though don’t forget to invite your Captain. Okay?” The First Officer nods “Aye Captain I’ll not forget you again. Does this mean you’ll not be putting me on report?” Ekuryua smiles “Go, get back in the conversation.” The First Officer returns, Scholar notices Ekuryua sitting there, they exchange smiles and the conversation continues.

Two displays face Samson. Seelnay was in one Risch in the other. The power reactor for the new settlement was the topic of discussion. Seelnay had voiced her objection of the initial size of the unit. Her concerns were it was too powerful; it gave them too much energy. Risch countered with the fact it was planned this reactor would meet the requirements of the settlement for the foreseeable future. “Seelnay look at it this way. We give them extra capacity now and we shouldn’t have to bother them. If, as you said, we limit there power and say five years later they need more, then we would have to take them off line to upgrade. I think Samson and Paveryua did their homework well. I’d rather do this once and be done with it.” Seelnay leans back; she contemplates Risch’s words, “Fine, you’re right, and my fears over them becoming a threat to the Empire are probably without foundation… I hope.”

Samson has listened to the objections and accusations, he then says, “Then we are in agreement, Seelnay you work with Risch on the layout and submit it to me before we clear the Sord. I’d like to have the power active within twenty hours of our arrival. I don’t want those people left on the transport any longer than necessary. Once the power is up and running, the shelters for the settlement will be set up when the transports land. We have a lot of work to do and this time we have the manpower to do it. Basically the sooner we get going. The sooner it’s done and we can go on with our lives as well.” Seelnay and Risch both nod in agreement.

The displays go blank and Samson leaves the room, meeting Sobbash, he details the conversation, to which Sobbash comments, “Seelnay has got some nerve, to condemn Scholar and the rest of the residents given her recent actions.” Sobbash shakes her head, “Samson I don’t know anymore, this last six weeks has been something that may take me years to completely understand.” Sobbash stands visibly shaken. Samson puts his arms on her shoulders. “Don’t try to find all the answers now, let’s get these people settled, return to Hyde and then try to find meaning to all of this later.”

Sobbash smiles “As always Samson you’re ability to see the bigger picture, I want to be done with this, although do we leave Seelnay here or take her home?” Samson places his fingers on her lips. “Sobbash we settle the people first, then we take things one at a time. Remember the Princess is in charge of this little expedition. Let’s look out for what we have responsibilities over and let Her Highness and Ekuryua tackle the bigger issues.” Sobbash nods, with arms around each other’s midsection Sobbash and Samson proceed towards the bridge lift.

Nastoyia’s report was not received well at the Capital, as she figured, Ramaj was incensed and Kenesh disappointed. His Excellency’s death left many unanswered questions. Ramaj went ahead with rounding up and questioning everyone who had the slightest knowledge of His Excellency. She found several members of the clans were in league with him. Those members were question then scanned, those not directly connected with his plot to disrupt the government were placed under observation. To those unfortunate ones who completely supported him, they shared his fate, solitary imprisonment until they die. The Abh did have Capital punishment for only the most heinous crimes. This was not one of them, their alliance to His Excellency, since his plot to kill Lafiel and those of Sol-Eros failed. It left them guilty of association and nothing else. Isolation from society was a fitting punishment.

Finally Ramaj turned her attention to those with in the Star Forces who had given him aid or support. The elite security forces, which she had disbanded and His Excellency had clandestinely resurrected, were finally put out of commission. Those who resisted were imprisoned; those who tried to defend themselves were killed. In all two hundred members were either imprisoned or killed.

Admiral Spoor’s folder sat on Kenesh’s desk. She had been given the assignment of questioning Spoor upon her arrival back to the Capital and she was also given the authority to assess the situation and assign punishment as required. Ramaj’s words still rang in her ears, “You’ll judge her solely on the evidence and you alone will determine her fate. I must remove myself from this, my emotions; I’d put her to death if I could. You’re more objective Kenesh. Just don’t give her anything she wants.”

Kenesh lies staring at the ceiling floating a top her desk. Spoor’s folder drifts by her she lets it float. Admiral Spoor will arrive in a month maybe sooner; Kenesh will deal with her when the time comes. Right now she has another concern, Dustain has requested his freedom and a meeting with her. She’s not ready to grant either request. Dimming the office lights and closing the door, she lies floating, thinking about everything, not able to focus on any one subject. She falls asleep her mind in turmoil it is not a pleasant rest.

Lafiel stirred, this urgent need to go to the bathroom annoyed her; she was in the middle of a wonderful dream and felt completely at ease when this annoying biological function woke her from a sound sleep. Making her way around Jinto she found the bathroom. Mission accomplished she now found it impossible to return to sleep let alone to her dream. Raising the cabin lighting slightly, she realizes she and Jinto had slept the better part of one day away. She tried nudging Jinto but like a log he lay there sleeping soundly.

Frustrated she employed a more direct approach. Lifting the covers she reach with a cold hand towards Jinto’s midsection, one touch in the right place and Jinto smartly sat up, “Not fair Lafiel you know what that does to me.” He almost knocked her over heading for the bathroom. When he reentered the room he continued, “Why did you do that Lafiel?” she pointed to the ships clock. Jinto stared at it, it took him a moment to understand what it was telling him then he said, “Wow almost a whole day we slept.”

He took a double take, “Wonder who’s been doing the planning for the settlement and I wonder why nobody came after us?” Glancing at the console he got his answer. Lafiel has inputted, “Do not Disturb Under Penalty of Death” in the message center. Anyone approaching the door would see that and anyone trying to communicate with them would be greeted with that message. Jinto erased it from the console, he turns to Lafiel, “Well now what do you want to do?” Lafiel smiles, “Eat, then find out what has happened since we disappeared from this world.” Jinto nods, they dress casual and head for the dining area.

“Captain. The Princess and the Count are on the move.” Ekuryua walks over to the First Officer’s station, she sees the two readouts moving towards the dining area. “About time I figured they were going to sleep for a week.” The First Officer points at the flashing message lamp, “Should I forward that to Her Highness it is marked Urgent.” Ekuryua shakes her head, “I’ll take care of that. You inform Admiral Sobbash that they are awake and I’ll forward her request to the Princess.” The First Officer nods and Ekuryua loads a copy of the message on her creunoc. Leaving the bridge she arrives at the dining area just as Jinto and Lafiel are sitting down.”

Sitting next to Lafiel she says, “Better read this before you eat.” She hands Lafiel her creunoc. Lafiel decodes the message; her face grows pale “How long ago was this received?” “About six hours ago, you set that message and I’d figured if you weren’t up shortly I’d come barging in with it.” Lafiel hands Nastoyia’s message to Jinto he reads it and he too looks pale “Does this mean what I think it does?” Lafiel nods, “Grandmother is probably rounding up all of his supporters, depending on what her mood is they will at least be imprisoned, if not killed outright on the spot.”

Jinto stares at Lafiel in shock. She continues, “It’s like I just said grandmother is still the leader of the council and in command of the military although she does not hold the title of Empress she has all the power and authority of one. Depends on her mood I hope she shows some compassion, and then again, she is an Ablïarsec. One you’ve not influenced Jinto.” Jinto nods.

Ekuryua watches as Lafiel digs in to her breakfast, Lafiel sees the look in Ekuryua’s eyes and says, “Noel there is nothing I can do to stop what is already happening at the Capital, even if I were there I’d never defy Grandmother.” Ekuryua shakes her head, “It’s not the Capital I’m worried about. It’s Spoor and Sobbash they were involved in this mess as was I to a certain extent.” Lafiel stops eating she faces Ekuryua, “You better forward that message to Spoor. Then I want to see you and Sobbash in my quarters with in the hour.” Ekuryua goes to leave Lafiel makes one more comment “Get Sobbash over here, but do not tell her why I want to see her you do understand me Noel?” Ekuryua nods and leaves the room

Lafiel looks at Jinto “Go spend some time with Erin while I have my meeting.” Jinto goes to voice his displeasure Lafiel cuts him off. “Jinto this is between Sobbash, Spoor, Ekuryua and myself. I promise I’ll be fair, a lot fairer than Grandmother is being. They are my friends and I figure they were all following orders. I just want the record set straight and a new understanding forged out before we settle the residences of Sol-Eros. The Capital will no longer have free access to the planet.”

Jinto looked at Lafiel “Sounds like you’re declaring your independence from the Empire.” Lafiel shakes her head “Not quite that far Jinto. We need the Empire and the sooner the Empire realizes they need us, the easier things will become.” Jinto looks confused Lafiel takes his hand “I promise I’ll explain all of this to you, just not right now. Jinto do you trust me to do the right thing?” Jinto nods, Lafiel continues “Thank you Jinto now let’s finish eating and get ready for the rest of the day. I feel it’s going to be a very productive one.”

Lafiel digs in and Jinto watches her. She finishes her meal and goes to leave the room before she does she says, “Have a good chat with Erin and remember to take notes I’d like to know what you two discuss.” She turns and walks away, Jinto notices for the first time in a long time Lafiel is completely relaxed, she gets this wiggle in her walk when she’s relaxed. Jinto watches her wiggle her way down the corridor. Finishing his meal he heads for Erin’s quarters, hoping Lafiel will keep her word and not hurt his friends.

Sord Orion in the background and the Gauchen fueling depot ahead of them the Lashkau was two days from Sord Laitpanr. Kufadis sat on the bridge, not in the center seat, but his normal position. Since the almost battle at Vorash he had refused to sit in the seat, that chair rightfully belonged to someone else and until she returned it would remain empty. “Commodore refueling and restocking is complete your orders sir?” The snappy Decca Commander stood awaiting Kufadis words. Kufadis heaved a sigh and said, ”It’s Commander Kufadis, I no longer hold the rank of Commodore as for our next move, we will reenter the Sord.”

“And return to the Capital at flank speed!” The voice from behind him, it couldn’t be but it was. He turned and there stood Admiral Spoor she looked well rested and a few pounds heavier. “I’m glad that promotion didn’t go to your head Kufadis, your acceptance of your demotion will be much easier it seems.” Spoor waltzed past him and sat in the center seat. The bridge crew was in shock. Spoor looked around then said, “I do believe I gave you an order Decca Commander could you carry it out before I die?” The Decca Commander inputted the co-ordinates into the computer, “Yes Admiral at once, Sord penetration in two hundred fifty seconds.” The Lashkau turned towards Sord Orion, formed a space-time bubble and disappeared.

Spoor stood, she left the center seat and headed for the lift as she passed Kufadis she said, “Follow me Kufadis.” He rose and joined her. The doors to the lift shut and Spoor said, “You did well Kufadis I’m proud of you, once I saw your course back home I knew you would refuel here so I decided to meet you, about an hour ago I got a very disturbing message, we will view it in my cabin.” The lift doors opened and Spoor and Kufadis headed for her quarters. Inside her quarters and with the door secured she played Kufadis Lafiel’s forwarded message.

Kufadis face went blank, then he watched the report again and said, “This means you’re in a lot of trouble doesn’t it Admiral?” Spoor, a look of concern on her face said, “I don’t know Kufadis, if Ramaj is deciding my fate, my life span maybe be very short. I do know that I want to speak with the Princess first, before I go to the Capital, that’s the plan for now, maintain communications blackout until we reach the Sord, I don’t think we can catch them in plane space. As far as fleet command is concerned this ship is headed for my home, no one knows I’ve left that gives us two days to become invisible before someone comes looking for us.”

Kufadis nods he presses a button on the comm. panel, the First Officer responds, “Admiral what can I do for you?” Kufadis speaks plainly into the panel. “Maintain communication black out until further notice.” The First Officer acknowledges the order and the link closes. Kufadis turns to Spoor “I’m assuming you plan on spending the rest of your time here and I’m commanding the ship?” Spoor nods, “Kufadis when you get off duty please join me here.” Kufadis leaves the room as he does he says, “I’m glad you’re back Admiral I did miss you.” Spoor replies “You’ll find out how much I missed you when you get off duty Commander.” Kufadis walks through the door it shuts behind him. He turns to head back to the bridge one thing plays through his mind he wonders if Ramaj would really kill the Admiral? He shakes off the thought and thinks about Spoor’s comment; his duty cycle is over in three hours, and for once he is rested. He smiles as he walks to the lift and heads for the bridge.

Ekuryua greeted Sobbash at the docking bay and escorted her to the conference room. Ekuryua had managed to talk Lafiel out of using her quarters. This conference room was close to engineering the ambient background noises made it a perfect location to have a private discussion. Opening the door Sobbash found Lafiel sitting waiting for them. She and Ekuryua stepped through the door and Ekuryua set the do not disturb sign. Seeing this Sobbash commented, “I’m guessing we aren’t here to discuss the new village are we?” Lafiel shook her head “No we aren’t Admiral we are here to get to the bottom of an issue that’s been nagging at me for quite sometime. Once I’m convinced of what you, Spoor and Ekuryua were up to, then we are going to lay some new ground rules. Rules that will be obeyed on penalty of death.”

Sobbash and Ekuryua explained their part in Spoor’s information gathering plan. They also explained that at the last they were being less and less forthcoming with the information being requested and the Spoor herself was also failing to forward information in a timely manner to her contacts. Lafiel sat taking all of this in, she only had a few questions.

“So Ekuryua you were reporting to Spoor and Sobbash am I correct?” Ekuryua nods “And Sobbash you were reporting to Spoor and Kenesh am I correct?” Sobbash nods. Lafiel continues “Then you are telling me that Spoor was in league with His Excellency until she figured out his target was me?” Sobbash looks at Ekuryua “Think we should share our thoughts?” Ekuryua nods “They are only conjecture but we believe Spoor was playing more than one side in this.”
Lafiel raised an eyebrow, “Really? And who else do you think she was reporting to?” Sobbash looks at Ekuryua she looks at Lafiel, “I believe it was either your Grandmother or Admiral Kenesh or maybe both.” Ekuryua pauses “Remember when you were trying to figure out how your father was always one step ahead of you? Wasn’t that the same information you shared with Admiral Spoor?”

Lafiel nods “So she’s been watching me since Clasbul, well that all ends here and now. I plan on becoming a separate entity, the planet is sovereign from this moment on and to show it’s a sovereign state I plan on changing the name of the planet, after I consult with Scholar and the council.” Sobbash and Ekuryua show no expressions on their faces, Lafiel’s words have taken them by surprise. Finally Sobbash gains the courage to ask, “So where does this leave Ekuryua and I? Do you want us to join you? Stay where we are? I am confused Lafiel.”

“I want your friendship and loyalty. No more little secret conversations. If there is a problem we discuss it out in the open. It’s either that or we terminate our relationship here and now. You get to choose your course from here on. I’ll hold no ill towards either of you if you want to decline my offer; however what we have discussed up until now is restricted information that only the three of us know. Unauthorized release of this and any further information carries a death sentence, which I’ll carry out personally. Is that understood?” They nod in acceptance of her statement.

Lafiel’s clam almost friendly tone to this conversation is what disturbs Sobbash and Ekuryua. They have never seen Lafiel this way before. Ablïarsec were noted for their cold ruthlessness, but Lafiel was warm, almost charming she never showed the raging anger that they had seen from her before. It was like they were dealing with Jinto. The forcefulness of her statements was implied but never shown. Now she sat before them calm and quiet, a peaceful look upon her face, it had them completely off guard.

Ekuryua and Sobbash sat looking at Lafiel then at each other, after a few moments they returned their gaze to Lafiel. Ekuryua spoke, “We accept your offer Your Highness with only one question. How will this affect our futures?” Lafiel leans back in the chair then comes forward to face them both. “The only change will be the lack of information forwarded, you no longer have to do that dirty chore. If it means a change in your career status I’ll be more than happy to supplement your losses. I’m assuming your promotions were based on you ability to forward information? If that is true then I can give you suitable responsibilities working on the planet with me.”

Ekuryua pales “I don’t want to lose the ship, I’ve worked so long and hard to.” Lafiel intervenes “You won’t lose it Noel. I’ll see to that. We will need some sort of protection and transportation won’t we?” She moves her attention to Sobbash. “You’re worried about Samson and the fuel depot aren’t you?” Sobbash nods. Lafiel smiles, “You keep forgetting my husband controls your future. You really think he’d give you two the boot?” Sobbash and Ekuryua are becoming aware of how far Lafiel is committing herself, to secure a future for them and those they care about. How can they not accept her offer, “Count me in Princess. I’ll follow you to the brink of hell and back.” Ekuryua nods “Count me in too, I started this adventure a long time ago. I’ll not rest peacefully until I see it’s ending.” The next several hours are spent in conversation covering all facets of their newfound relationship. Ending the conversation they part company, Sobbash returns to Samson, Ekuryua goes back to the bridge and Lafiel returns to her quarters.

Opening the door she finds Jinto resting on the bunk and a stack of notes on the table. One page draws her interest immediately; it contains Erin’s sketch of the planet and one word written in Sol Erosion below it. Jinto had opened the translator on the desk and queried for the translation of the word into Abh. It word would not translate; Lafiel accessed the unit and asked for the meaning of the word.

The computer responded: “Shahrazad, is a legendary Persian queen [Old Earth] and the storyteller of the book of One Thousand and One Nights, also known as the Arabian Nights.” Lafiel had heard of this work of literature from Jinto, it was one of his favorites. Reading the explanation she understood Jinto’s love of the book and Erin’s desire to name the planet Shahrazad.

“Shahrazad had perused the books, annals and legends of preceding Kings, and the stories, examples and instances of by gone men and things; indeed it was said that she had collected a thousand books of histories relating to antique races and departed rulers. She had perused the works of the poets and knew them by heart; she had studied philosophy and the sciences, arts and accomplish meets; and she was pleasant and polite, wise and witty, well read and well bred.”

“Against her father's protestations, Shahrazad volunteered to spend one night with the King. Once in the King's chambers, Shahrazad asked if she might bid one last farewell to her beloved sister, Dunyazad, who had secretly been prepared to ask Shahrazad to tell a story during the long night. The King lay awake and listened with awe to Shahrazad's first story and asked for another, but Shahrazad said there wasn't time as dawn was breaking, and regretfully so, as the next story was even more exciting.”

“And so the King kept Shahrazad alive as he eagerly anticipated each new story, until, one thousand and one adventurous nights, and three sons later, the King had not only been entertained but wisely educated in morality and kindness by Shahrazad who became his Queen.”

Lafiel ponders this explanation of the book; it was what she wanted for the residence and for all of those around her, a new time of enlightenment, exploration and hope, although she did not completely agree with the entire story. Its premise was a good starting point, to become well educated and well versed that is what Lafiel wanted. Considering what the database retrieved from Sol-Eros contained it would be possible to combine it and the Imperial one and have the renaissance Lafiel was hoping for.

Jinto awoke to find Lafiel staring at the computer terminal. He quietly moved over to her side and saw what she was reading. “I see you found Erin’s note.” Lafiel sat staring, she had sensed his movement so his words came as no surprise. “I understand what I’m reading but the first part about the King killing off each nights lover disturbs me.”

Jinto reaches across her shoulder and pressed a data link the following is displayed, “Shahryar would marry a new virgin, and every day he would send yesterday's wife to be beheaded. This was done in anger; having found out that his first wife was betraying him. He had killed three thousand such women by the time he was introduced to Shahrazad, the Vizier's daughter.” Lafiel read this and was very upset at its implications.

“Your ancestors acted in this way? Life meant nothing to them? And you dare call yourself civilized?” Jinto looked at her, “You’ve got a lot of room to speak, a member of a race that feared a never to be reprisal and destroyed millions on a space city, then consoled your own guilt quietly. At least when my ancestors made mistakes, somebody put them in print for others to learn from.”

Lafiel stopped the blow just before it would have hit Jinto face. Her hand returned to her side, the expression on anger that had instantly appeared on her face left, she stood stiff, silent, not sure of her next move. Jinto was amazed, he figured by now his face would be smarting. This time her movements had been too quick to block, had she connected he’d been on the floor now. Casting caution to the wind he stepped back into Lafiel’s swinging range. She stood staring at him, the wall and anything else in that line of sight. Jinto stood in front of her, placed his hands around her middle and gently pulled her towards him. For a moment she didn’t budge, then as suddenly as she had swung at him she fell into his chest. She never made a sound but the wetness on Jinto’s chest told him more than any words could.

“I’m sorry Lafiel, I wasn’t thinking. You’ve quietly carried that fact with in you for years and I know how much it disturbs you to have the subject brought up. I used a bad analogy, can you forgive me?” Lafiel removes her head from his chest and looks him in the eye, “Jinto, the truth is the truth, and I was the unthinking one, my arrogance got in the way, again. You are correct neither of our races are perfect, we have made mistakes and me blaming you for what your ancestors did was pretty petty. I do accept your apology if you’ll accept mine.” Jinto nods, “So you like the name?” Lafiel smiles, “Yes Jinto it’s beautiful.” “You know it doesn’t translated to Abh.”

Lafiel places her head on his shoulder. “I know Jinto. If the Capital wants a translation, I’ll see if Scholar can come up with one. Right now it feels right, that’s all that matters to me right now, how things feel. I think you’ll like what Ekuryua, Sobbash and I came up with it felt right too.” She proceeds to explain the conversation that she had with them. Jinto stands in amazement. Lafiel did what he would have, get to the bottom of it, then forgive them for their mistakes and make sure nothing like that would happen again. Lafiel even left them with a bit of conscious, making sure they realized their fate could have been much worse.

“I’m glad my faith in you was well placed Lafiel, you have master the art of negotiating. I do trust you Lafiel, its just makes me a bit nervous to have you ordering me off to another woman's quarters for safe keeping is all." Lafiel backs up and looks Jinto in the eye, “You’re more perceptive that I thought Jinto, it’s true I get nervous when you’re around and seeing that you and Erin got along a lot better than she and I did, I figured it was better for you to talk with her on the subjects of the village and such. But I never meant it to seem I was sending you to another woman to get you out of my hair.”

Jinto finally blinked. He figured his comment would have started a battle. Instead it invoked a very honest and heartfelt answer from Lafiel. “Then you want me to continue consulting with Erin on all the matters pertaining to the village?” Lafiel nods “Yes I do. When you have everything planned out the four of us will get together and iron out the details. Jinto, I’m counting on you to make this a very pleasant event. I want these people to feel like this always was their home.”

Lafiel’s creunoc starts flashing, she answers it, “Yes Ekuryua what is it?” “We’re home Princess. Sord exit in forty-five minutes.” “Crap! We’re home already Jinto! Why did we have to spend all day sleeping?” Jinto places his hand over her mouth and points to the flashing creunoc. Lafiel nods “Thank you Commander, inform me when we are in communications range of my brothers ship.” From the creunoc Ekuryua could no longer hold in her laughter, forcing the words out she replied, “Yes. Your Highness I’ll notify you. I’m guessing you’ll be awake to accept the communication?” Lafiel’s looks sour for a moment then she says, “Of course, unless you want to try to communicate with my brother. Remember he does not have my sense of humor.” There was silence then “Understood Ekuryua out.” The light faded out.

Ekuryua switch off her creunoc and turned to the tactical officer, “Scan the Sord exit, identify all ship in the area.” She turns to the communications officer “Get me Admiral Sobbash.” The main viewer displays Sobbash’s face; Ekuryua sat in the center seat “We have arrived, how should we enter normal space?” Sobbash ponders then says, “The lead ships first, then the transports, follow by your ship.” The tactical officer reports there are no ships with in one half light year of the Sord. “You heard that? Do we enter in defensive mode or not?” Sobbash leans forward to view her own display. “Let’s be on alert, but as to coming into home space fully armed and ready for combat. I don’t think so.” Ekuryua nods. “Remind me next time we see each other, I have a funny story to tell you.” Sobbash nods and the link close.

It was the part of the orbit that places the planet between Duhiel’s ship and the Sord. Emerging into the view of the Sord he is surprised to find several ships have exited the Sord and they are heading directly for him. Scanning he finds there are four attack frigates, two transports, a research and hospital ships. The last attack frigate bears the identifier of the ship Commander Ekuryua commands, it’s still a few hours from the planet and communications should be coming from it very soon. No more did the thought pass his mind the communications officer announced that they were being hailed.

The main display flickered and buzzed then Lafiel’s face was seen, “Hello Duhiel, I’ll make this short. I’m back we’ll talk in person when I get there. You understand what I’m saying brother of mine?” Duhiel nods “Yes Lafiel, I’ll wait till I see you and then we will talk as always.” The display goes blank. Duhiel goes to leave the bridge his First Officer stops him, “Captain what about your Father, aren’t you going to tell him she has returned?” Duhiel stares him in the face, “My Father will find out, after, my sister and I have talked, not one second before that, is that understood?” His First Officer nods and Duhiel continues, “That is good. I know how loyal to my Father you are but, I command this ship and since you are NOT of my clan, you will obey my orders or transfer off this ship. Do you understand me?” His First Officer nods and walks away. Duhiel leans over to the communications officer, “No signals leave this ship without my permission. Do you understand?” The Communications officer nods “Understood Captain.”

Duhiel leaves the bridge and heads for his quarters, once there he sets his console to the private family code and awaits Lafiel’s real message it doesn’t take very long to appear. Duhiel opens it and reads it carefully; it contains a warning from Lafiel to him.

“My plans have always included you becoming Emperor someday, I’ve done and I am about to do something’s that might jeopardize that if you knew of them. Brother, you have a decision to make, stay in orbit and take the chance of losing the throne or depart before I arrive and keep my hopes for you alive. It is your decision, one fact I’ll make you aware of Jinto and I have had the ceremony, it is official, well at least as far as we are concerned. I want to tell you everything that has happened since I last saw you but there are things that you should not know. I’ll watch for your answer, your ships actions will tell the tale. My love always, Lafiel.”

Switching off the console Duhiel rises from his seat and moves to his bunk. Lying down he stares at the ceiling, Lafiel’s word still buzzing in his brain, the decision he’s dreaded now faces him. His personal ambitions, his sisters wishes, they now tear at him. Since he was able to understand he’s been groomed to sit on the Jade throne. Now Lafiel has done something that might jeopardize that from happening if he remains in orbit and talks with her. It’s been a long time since they have had a chance to just sit and talk.

“Lafiel why have you always had this knack of attracting trouble to yourself? This time I’m doing things my way let the chips fall as they may.” Duhiel rethinks his last outburst, bringing his creunoc to a comfortable reading position then he reviews the present group of candidates for the position of Imperial Admiral of the Fleet. They are a sorry lot, not one of them has shown any of the ambition that is required to be recommended to become the next ruler of the Empire. His class will soon be promoted and then thrown into this competition. He and one other have a serious chance of making it to the clan evaluations. What worries him is this officer’s view on the present state of the Empire. She would dismantle all the changes his grandmother and Admiral Kenesh have instilled since Dusanyu’s untimely death. Those views hold a popular notion with some of the clans and disgust from the others.

Duhiel gazes at the ceiling, the thought of this woman getting to the Jade throne abhors him. Keying in a set of codes into his creunoc the next voice he hears is Debeusec’s “Duhiel what is the nature of your call my son?” “Father how important is it that I sit on the Jade throne?” there is no hesitation in Debeusec’s response, “My son the very future of the Empire as we know it might rest on your ability to seize the Jade throne in open and honest competition.” Duhiel absorbs Debeusec’s word then he says, “Father Lafiel is back. She has requested that I leave the planet before she arrives. I will not discuss the reasons because I’m not completely aware of them. However Father putting the throne between me and her is quite unfair.”

Debeusec stops him cold, “Son listen to me and listen well, you have known that being born into this clan brings things most others do not have to contend with. Lafiel had her chance to ascend to the throne she chose this path she’s now on. You have the same choices before you, however, son look at the big picture. This Empire will soon need some one to lead and unify it. I believe you, my son are that person; your sister has warned you, heed her warning. She’s depending on you to rule, to be her ally in her endeavors, but the Empire must come first, that means you may have to disappoint Lafiel which can’t be helped.”

Duhiel has heard his Father’s words they have helped in his decision. “Thank you Father, I’ll be leaving orbit soon. If you’ll send me your present position I’ll meet with you, there are some things we need to speak of face to face.” Coordinates appear on Duhiel’s creunoc then the signal disappears. Turning sideways and placing his feet back on the floor he leaves his quarters and returns to the bridge. Entering the command section he shows the navigator the coordinates his Father sent him. “Plot the course and depart as soon as possible.” Maintaining communications blackout” on the backside of the planet, Duhiel’s attack frigate departs.

Ekuryua sits in the center seat as Scholar speaks, “Captain the ship orbiting the planet has departed at high speed this is the course projection.” Scholar projects the course on the display it leads to a large fleet of ships. “Can you identify that fleet Scholar?” The data appears on the display when Ekuryua sees the Commanding Admirals name; she excuses herself from the bridge. Scholar consults the ships database and finds who those two people are; she too leaves the bridge and heads for her quarters. After a short conversation with Erin and the council she goes looking for Lafiel.

Ekuryua left the lift and headed for Lafiel’s quarters, Jinto opened the door and let her in. “Yes Ekuryua what is it? Lafiel enquires. “Your brother just blasted out of orbit, he’s heading to these coordinates.” She shows Lafiel, her creunoc. Lafiel studies it and frowns “I see Captain, how soon till we reach orbit?” Ekuryua presses a button on the device “About one hour Your Highness.” Lafiel nods, she has a distant look upon her face. Ekuryua goes to leave stops and turns back to Lafiel, “I know its probably none of my business, but is there something else you might want to tell me Lafiel?” Lafiel raises her gaze to meet Ekuryua’s eyes for the first time she sees the unlimited depths of Lafiel’s soul, the sight scares her, ”No you’re not being nosey Noel, I hoped he would leave orbit. However his making a beeline to my Father was unexpected. I hope, I’m still reading my brother right. I hope nothing has changed between us.”

She turns away from her. Jinto walks over to Noel “I think you should leave now. I’ll see you to the lift.” They open the door and leave rounding the corner they find Scholar headed their way, “I need to see the Princess.” Scholar said. Jinto stopped her “Now is not a good time, is there anything I can answer?” Scholar nods “Explain this sudden rushing about, the ships A.I. unit is even feeling caution.” Jinto takes them both to a small conference room and sits them down. Securing the door behind them he says, “Ask your questions, I’ll answer what I can. The rest will have to wait for Lafiel to answer.” Ekuryua sat Scholar asked the one pressing question which Jinto could answer “Are we in danger?” Jinto shook his head, “No we are not in any danger.”

He then proceeded to explain Lafiel communication between her and her brother, their relationship, as he understood it and Lafiel’s surprise that her brother is on his way to her father. Finally he explained as much as he dared of Lafiel’s relationship with her father.

“Right now the plan is to get you settled on the planet and then handle what comes our way.” Scholar nods “I agree once planet side we should be fairly secure and we will have the advantage of being on such an important planet.” Ekuryua sits thinking, “That look Lafiel had it gave me the creeps.” She looks at Jinto “She’s going to be alright isn’t she?” Jinto nods “Yeah she’ll be just fine, it’s just that she doesn’t take to surprises well and you brought her one hell of a surprise.” Ekuryua nods “Maybe in the future I should clear all surprises through you first?” Jinto smiles “That won’t be necessary keeping things from her is worse than just telling her. She just has a lot on her mind I believe you hit the overload limit that’s all.”

Scholar and Ekuryua both nod then Scholar addresses Jinto, “Thank you for trying to set the record straight. I’m sure there are things you know about our present situation that you can’t discuss right now and I understand that. I’ll go communicate with Erin and the Council, how soon till the village is ready?” Jinto consults his creunoc “Barring any complications seventy two hours from the time the reactor is installed. This time we do have enough manpower available.”

Scholar smiles, ”Does that mean we help set up the village?” Jinto shakes his head “Its not necessary, Admiral Sobbash has a complete construction crew aboard the other transport along with the building materials. Now if you want to watch?” Scholar nods “I do believe we would like to watch, I’ll check with the Council to make sure.” Jinto asks if there are any further questions, there are none. Ekuryua and Scholar return to the bridge, Jinto returns to his quarters.

Continued in next post

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Diaho
Site Administrator

Re: 17_Welcoming the New Neighbors

Post by Diaho »

Opening the door he finds Lafiel as he left her, staring at the wall a puddle of tears on the table. She turns to him and dives in his arms sobbing, “Have I lost my brother Jinto? Have I finally pushed away my only other ally?” She grips him in her arms “I guess it’s down to the two of us you and me.” Jinto places his arms around her “You are wrong Lafiel you’ve not lost him and you have more than I who care about you too. Just relax let’s get the village built and the residences settled then see what comes our way.” Lafiel relaxes in his arms she is no longer sobbing but she doesn’t want to move either. They stand supporting each other till the ship intercom announces planetary arrival. “Guess we should go to the docking bay Jinto?” He kisses her on the lips “You’re ready to do this then my Princess and love?” Lafiel nods they turn towards the door open it and head for the docking bay arm in arm.

Duhiel approaches his father’s flagship from the starboard side. The docking and soft seal established he leaves his ship and enters the pressure chamber of the flagship. Debeusec is waiting on the other side of the airlock. The green light flashes and the door opens Duhiel greets his father with a salute Debeusec returns it. “We talk here son, the ships has too many ears.” Duhiel nods setting his helmet on the shelf outside the chamber he looks Debeusec in the face and says, “Father I need your honest assessment. I scanned those transports before I left, is Lafiel planning on?

Debeusec nods and continues “Lafiel has done something which may start a new chapter within the Empire, her rescuing of those people and settling them on that planet may finally bring some closure to a long standing hurt that every natural born Abh has felt since the senseless destruction of the mother city. You and I both know the official response to Lafiel’s actions and it won’t be very pretty. Couple that with this.” He hands Duhiel a copy of Admiral Nastoyia’s report, Duhiel reads as Debeusec continues. “Central command is disorder. Your Grandmother and Admiral Kenesh are walking on the slimmest of strands, now add in the aggression that the fifty forth fleet just had and the possibility of renewed fighting in the ninth layer and you can see why Lafiel’s action comes at the wrong time.”

Duhiel hands the report back to Debeusec, “I’ll assume Grandmother is house cleaning at the Capital, the fifty forth fleet isn’t that Admiral Rulef’s command?” Debeusec nods. “Father I did some studying of Sol-Eros do you really think they are a lost tribe of the mother city?” Debeusec hands Duhiel a follow up report from Admiral Nastoyia, “Read this carefully son. Take note of how the Admiral was released from her confinement, there are only three clans that could perform a feat such as that and none of them were aboard Lafiel expedition. I believe your sister has found the group of builders that left just before the mother city was destroyed. If that is the case one or more of them have the ability to change the present course of events with in the Empire. Knowing your sister is in charge leaves me confident it will be a change for the good, although many of the other clans will not see it that way.”

Shaking his head Duhiel looks at his Father, “You showed me this knowing it was my duty to go back and stop Lafiel from carrying out her plans didn’t you?” Debeusec’s face grows angry “I showed you these items to inform you of what your sister has done and is planning on doing. Now as your sector commander and Father, I’m ordering you to take no action against your sister. Is that clear Commander?” Duhiel nods, “I understand Admiral I shall obey your orders as given.” Debeusec smiles “Very good Commander, I’m glad you understand my motives in this matter. You should return to your ship and go back to your sister she’s going to need you son.” Duhiel steps back and salutes his Father, “As you command Admiral, shall I inform you of her progress?” Debeusec shakes his head “Let her carry out her plans when she’s ready she’ll let the entire Empire know of her intentions, now go my son and express my concerns to her in person.”

Duhiel nods he picks up his helmet places it upon his head and enters the airlock. Debeusec watches as he leaves the ship. Returning to the bridge Duhiel orders the docking terminated and the soft seal removed. On course back to the planet he sits and thinks. “Father I have to admit that was a pretty bold move, bringing me aboard telling me everything you knew, then ordering me to do nothing and report nothing. When Grandmother and the Council find out they’ll have your hide I’m sure of that, but this also leaves me obeying your orders and in the clear if anything should happen. Well Father like Lafiel you’ll sacrifice everything you have, to make sure I have the chance to sit on the Jade Throne. I guess I better not disappoint either one of you.”

Scanning the system he sees the transports have already landed, its Admiral Sobbash’s frigate that hails him. “Commander this is a secured area. I’ll ask you to stop and await clearance from the planet.” Duhiel stops his ship one hundred and twenty five thousand kilometers from Admiral Sobbash’s ship. “Admiral I await clearance.”

Sobbash opens a link to the planet, Jinto answers. Sobbash informs him of the present situation and he responds, “Find out his intentions and relay them to me.” Sobbash contacts Duhiel, his response is very unusual she relates it to Jinto, “He wants to come planet side and speak with Lafiel in person? Okay Sobbash let him come to us. I’ll find Lafiel and tell her, after I do that I’ll take the shuttle and rendezvous with his ship, have him position himself in a geo lock orbit over the island. I’ll be up with in the hour.” Sobbash relays Jinto’s message to Duhiel and the ship slowly approaches the planet.

Lafiel was in the kitchen with Risch and Samson; plans for the reactor were spread out on the table. An involved conversation greeted Jinto’s ears as he arrived there. “Your Highness stop being so stubborn.” Samson was saying. “The reactor can not go there, its sandstone and lime rock too porous to support it and four hundred feet below it is the aquifer that feeds this part of the planet should any thing happen to it you.” Lafiel cut him off, “Samson you’re not making any sense to me. Put the reactor in and we’ll deal with the consequences later, right now we are pressed for time.” Jinto opened the door before Samson could start another argument.

Glancing at the plans he said, “Lafiel, He’s right we can’t put the reactor there.” Lafiel put her hand on his shoulder and turned him towards her. Her anger was evident the moment she touched him. “You can’t walk in here and tell me I’m wrong Jinto Lynn.” He stared her in the face “You ready to listen to reason, dear?” She released him, “This better be good, or their going to be witnesses to a dispute of volcanic proportions.”

Jinto looked at the survey, from space the area seemed to be solid rock however on the surface it was a combination of layers. There was a layer of granite on bedrock and an area large enough to support the reactor, although it was another fifteen hundred meters from the original location. Then Jinto spotted the aquifer running through the area and finally understood Samson’s reason to start an argument with Lafiel in the first place.

“Lafiel can I ask Samson a couple of questions before I begin?” Lafiel arms across her chest said, “Make it quick Jinto, time is getting away and I’m still waiting for an explanation.” Pointing at the survey Jinto says, “If you put it there how does it affect the layout of the village?” Samson looks where Jinto’s finger is pointed “That’s where it should go the original spot is too weak to hold it and if the aquifer was contaminated.” Jinto nods and turns to Lafiel “Every ship has its weak points you will agree with that Lafiel?”

Annoyed Lafiel shouts at him “This is not a ship it’s a.” Jinto stops her “It is a natural ship floating in space just as every other planet is. We studied engineering in school, the make up of vessels their strong and weak points. This planet is a vessel too, the science is called geology, and one who practices it is called a geologist, a planetary engineer. This spot is too weak to support the reactor, its like the lightly armored parts of the ship are, over here the ground is reinforced like armor plate, lastly the aquifer is our water supply for drinking we can’t contaminate it at all.”

Lafiel looks at the survey she places a finger on the spot where the reactor needs to be. “Then this place can hold the unit and do no other harm?” Jinto nods, Lafiel continues. “Putting it there will cause no major changes in the layout of the village?” “That is correct Your Highness.” Samson says. Lafiel still looking at the survey says, “Fine go ahead.”

Samson shakes his head in disbelief and Risch stands speechless. Jinto shows them to the door. Lafiel stands at the table reading the survey. Once outside Jinto explains what just happened, “When you try to explain something to her you need a point of reference she’ll understand. Samson you and I grew up on planets we understand how they work, she grew up in space, and the study of planetary engineering is not a required subject for your typical Abh.”

Risch stands there nodding, “I understand Jinto. I forgot Samson had to explain it to me on Sol-Eros. Then on the way back I’ve done some looking into geology. I noticed one thing every planet is different unlike space craft.” Jinto nods “I need to get back inside to her and don’t be alarmed to see the shuttle depart. I need to go and bring Lafiel’s brother back to the surface.” They both stare at him, and then Samson speaks, “Her brother here? Why?” Jinto shrugs “I don’t know but he is waiting.” Risch and Samson head down the path towards the transports hopefully they’ll have the reactor up and running by nightfall.

Jinto returns to their residence he finds Lafiel standing where he left her reading the survey in detail. Hearing the door open Lafiel says, “You are going to teach me geology Jinto, I’ll not be embarrassed again.” Jinto stands beside her “I’ll teach you geology once things are settled. Right now I need to go to space it seems you have a visitor.”

She looks him in the eye, “Visitor? Who is requesting to come here and why would you go get them without asking me? Have you lost your mind Jinto? Not everybody is welcome here at least not now, maybe I don’t want to be bothered did you ever consider that?” Jinto nods he places his hands on Lafiel’s shoulders. “Well as far as I know you’d quit everything you had going to see this person. It was my understand that you always welcomed your allies to this world no matter what time they arrived, this one ally in particular.”

Lafiel’s eyes went wide open, her jaw dropped, she managed to regain enough composer to say, “Duhiel is back? He wants to come planet side?” Jinto nods. Lafiel falls into his arms joyfully sobbing, “He’s really back and he wants to come here?” She pushes herself from Jinto, “You’re not making a cruel joke are you? “No Lafiel he’s here and I need to go get him very soon.” She wipes the tears from her eyes, “Go get him now bring him to me I’ll be right here waiting.” She starts to push Jinto to the door “Go on Jinto get going.” Jinto kisses her on the cheek “Alright Lafiel I’m going I’ll be back with in the hour.” She pushes him out the door and starts to clean up the residence.

It is a short walk from the residence to the dock; Jinto unties the shuttle and proceeds to depart the planet. Once free of gravity he contacts Duhiel. Jinto receives instructions to enter through the forward docking bay. The ship, on automatic, docks itself and ten minutes later Jinto leaves with Duhiel aboard. Sitting next to Jinto, Duhiel starts a conversation, “You know I’ve never stepped foot on a surface world before?” Jinto smiles, “Well you’re not the first member of your family to say that to me, are you a bit nervous?”

There is a few moments of silence, then, “If I said I was scared to death would you understand?” Jinto nods “Seems you are a lot like your sister, it will be fine at least we will have a controlled re entry unlike Lafiel’s first visit to a surface world.” Jinto words still left Duhiel feeling a bit uneasy. “I figured by now you would have had training in planetary landings?” Jinto looked over, Duhiel’s look reminded him of Lafiel’s. “Count Hyde if I were to be a mere transport captain, then you would be correct, I would have trained for surface world landings. However I have my aspirations set a little bit higher than that.”

Being around Lafiel all these years told Jinto that was the only warning he would get from Duhiel. Although Jinto presently out ranked him, Duhiel’s social status was so far ahead of Jinto’s that there would be no more joking around. “Accept my apology Duhiel I spoke out of turn.” Duhiel smiled, “Apology accepted brother-in-law.” Those words caught Jinto off guard; “I guess Lafiel told you then?” Duhiel nods “That she did, at first you must understand I was very angry at my sister. Breaking nine hundred plus years of tradition was, well, quite unexpected from her. Then again Lafiel’s been fairly unpredictable since she met you.”

Jinto’s heart rate and respiration shot up with that comment, he also knew he was about to start a cold sweat if this subject continued any longer. Fortunately the ship hit the first layers of the atmosphere and the temperature in the ship started rising, soon they both were perspiring. Jinto decided to ask, “Duhiel are you angry with me because of my influence upon Lafiel?”

In the lower layers now the shuttle was popping in and out of the cloud deck. Duhiel was looking out the window watching the surface approach, “No Jinto I’m not angry with you, in fact on the other hand, I’m very happy for you both. You’ve made my sister happy something until she met you no one else had. At first I was very jealous of you. You had the only thing I was willing to fight and die for to yourself. But after Lobnas II when she was here, and while you recuperated I had the chance to talk with her. I finally understood you and I are not rivals; we both care about the same thing, Lafiel’s happiness. As far as her wanting to partake of surface world traditions. As a member of the Royal Family I must protest strongly, but as her brother I’ll accept you in the family, but this must remain between the two of us. In public I must denounce your actions, in private you’ve made Lafiel happy, at the end of it all that is what matters most to me.”

Finishing the final S-turns on the landing approach, Jinto set the shuttle gently on the surface of the lake. Duhiel sat watching in amazement as the water flowed over the bow of the ship then disappeared. He could see the transports sitting on the surface their large cranes unloading building materials into the hover sleds that would take them to the village construction site. Jinto heads into the slip and docks the shuttle; securing the mooring lines he helps Duhiel out of the shuttle. Duhiel’s first few steps are a little unsteady, Jinto watches but doesn't offer to help him.

Getting his land legs beneath him he says, “Well that wasn’t too bad, I believe I’m ready to see Lafiel if you will show me to her.” Jinto turns and proceeds to show Duhiel to their quarters. On the way he points out the bluff that over looks the lake and the garden that he and Lafiel had planted. Rounding the corner from the garden Duhiel gets his first view of the complex “Wow it’s huge you really need all that room to live in?”

Jinto explained that the living quarters were on the right and the larger building on the left was a general-purpose meeting, reception, training complex that they hadn’t fully utilized. The next thing they smelled was food cooking, before Duhiel could speak Jinto said, “Looks like Lafiel made lunch.” Duhiel stopped short “My sister can cook? Since when has she been able to do this?” Jinto explained how Lafiel started cooking, Duhiel stood in amazement “When we were little she couldn’t heat water without a disaster. I think you should know that Jinto.” Jinto smiles “You should have seen the first meal she tried.” Duhiel grimaced “Jinto you are a braver man than I, not only did you eat it you lived through it as well.”

At that moment the door to the kitchen flew open and Lafiel stood there a large wooden cooking spoon in hand. “Brother, I’ll forgive you for making comments like that, however Jinto do you want to die here and now?” Duhiel looks at Jinto “Yep her hearing is still as good as always.” He returns his gaze to his sister, “It’s been years since I’ve seen you in something besides a uniform Sis.” Lafiel smiled “You like this?? Wait till I take the apron off.”

Lafiel stood there her hair in a ponytail, wearing the cooking apron she purchased on Deltoke; beneath it she wore a short blue sundress and sandals. Jinto smiled and Duhiel stared, “Well Sis I’ll have to admit you sure have grown up. Isn’t it a little chilly to be dressed like that?” Lafiel smiled, “Oh no it was very warm in the kitchen, by the way Jinto I think Samson needs to look at the cooling unit I had a hard time getting back on line, it’s not working like I remembered.” Jinto nods “Before I call him I’ll look at it after lunch okay?” Lafiel nods she turns to Duhiel “You are hungry brother?”

Duhiel nods “Yes sister I’m hungry.” Lafiel turns towards the door “Great it’s ready I’ll bring it out here we’ll eat on the table.” Off she heads into the residence moments later she returns with a tray full of food. Lunch is uneventful. As they finished, Jinto went to excuse himself and Duhiel stopped him “What I have to say I want both of you to hear.” Jinto sat next to Lafiel and Duhiel started, “I’m here as a representative of the clan and as an individual. As a clan member I must inform you some of your present actions might find you up in front of the council. Having given you that warning I can now speak for Father and myself.”

Duhiel notices the ring on Lafiel’s finger and the matching band on Jinto’s finger. “Brother Jinto, unofficially, welcome to the family. Lafiel I’m happy you’re happy. Lafiel stands and takes Duhiel in her arms “Thank you Brother Thank you.” As they embrace Duhiel feels tears on this shoulder, pushing Lafiel back he says. “I don’t understand Lafiel you’re crying did I say something to hurt you?” She shakes her head “You better get use to this, these are tears of joy and brother, they flow freely at times. Although I try very hard not to show them in public.” Duhiel smiles then his face grows concerned, “You should be glad Father is not here. He would be very angry with you showing your tears like this.” Lafiel nods “But he’s not. Now are you upset I’ve shown you my tears brother?”

Duhiel shakes his head. “No Lafiel I’m not upset however I should tell you one other thing that might upset you. Father and I have talked, I know enough to arrest you on the spot, however I’ve been ordered to ignore all that I see and hear and play dumb referring to Father’s orders should anything arise out of your actions.” Lafiel nods “I see Father is protecting you from me so you can still be my ally. Thank Father for me when you next see him in person will you.”

Duhiel nods, “Lafiel I’m assigned to this system, I’m not under orders to report anything you do but I need to limit the amount of time we spend together. My group will soon enter the race for the throne there is one other who might stand a chance of challenging me and now she has a grudge to settle.” Lafiel nods “I remember his great grand daughter being your age, if she is anything like he was you will have your hands full brother, remember one thing she holds to the family line completely. Anything she feels she can get away with she’ll do to you or anybody else who gets in her way. One thing is for sure, she can not sit on the Jade Throne if so the Empire will fall into a blood bath.”

Jinto looks to them “Excuse me who are we speaking about?” Duhiel brings an image on his creunoc he turns it so Jinto might see it. Pictured is a Decca Commander aboard a patrol ship in the ninth ring under Admiral Rulef. Jinto catches her name “She’s His Excellency’s great grand daughter?” Duhiel nods, “and third in line to lead her clan since His Excellency’s death. She is very powerful and very shrewd. This will be a very interesting race to the throne.”

Jinto rises “I need to look at the cooling unit if you two want to chat I’ll be right back.” Duhiel stands “If you don’t mind I’d like to go with you.” He turns to Lafiel “Is that alright with you Sis?” Lafiel nods “Go ahead I’ll put lunch away and wait for you to return. Oh remember Jinto we need to meet Erin in two hours at the dock.” Jinto nods and he and Duhiel head for the environmental plant behind the residence. Walking past the sunning area Duhiel spots the hot tub and comments “All the comforts of ship board without having to worry about the loss of gravity.” Jinto nods “That’s Lafiel’s favorite place either there or on the sun chairs.“

Making their way to the plant they find the unit has been over grown in the time they’ve been gone. Jinto clears the under growth from around the unit and checks the rest of the plant for proper operation. Wiping the sweat from his brow Jinto says, “That should do it, the intakes were blocked with plants so there was little air flow to the unit. I need to remember to tell Lafiel if it doesn’t start readily to check the intakes. I guess we were lucky we weren’t gone much longer or the system might have failed completely.”

Duhiel has stood watching Jinto work, before they leave he confides in him. “Jinto a moment of your time before we go back.” Jinto stops and faces him. “I figured there was something else I was pretty sure you didn’t come all this way to watch me work.” Duhiel continues, “You understand I have a public and a personal life. This, what I’m doing on this planet, is personal. What happens here must stay here, Lafiel understands that, I need to make sure you understand it too, because, If I was to become Emperor I’d would not have my personal life interfere with that life, do you understand me?”

Jinto nods “I think so, right now you are allowed two lives private and public. Once the race is over, only you and those very close to you can be allowed in your private live.” Duhiel nods, “You’ve got ninety percent of it right, you left out one important fact. You must be worthy of being in my personal life, at this time and until things change, neither you nor Lafiel can be in that personal life.” Jinto can see the pain on Duhiel’s face, those words he just spoke cut through him like a laser beam. “I understand Brother Duhiel. I’ll keep everything between us.” Jinto place his arms around Duhiel as he does he also catches part of his weight. Duhiel is quietly sobbing, something Jinto has witnessed before and something no one else will know of.

Ten minutes pass then he and Duhiel return to the kitchen. They find Lafiel has poured drinks for them also the kitchen is much cooler. Lafiel hears them enter and comes in from the living room. She has a data crystal in her hand she gives it to Duhiel. “Watch this when you get back to the ship. If you feel you must destroy it afterwards I’ll not be upset.”

She looks at Jinto he’s sitting quietly taking in this conversation “You told him Duhiel?” Duhiel nods Lafiel places her hand on Jinto’s shoulder “Do you understand everything now Jinto?” Jinto nods “Yeah I understand I’m not happy about it but it’s something I’ll accept for now. Is that what I think it is?” He points to the crystal. Lafiel nods “It is, Jinto time is running short if you are going to take Duhiel back before we meet Erin you need to get going.

”I’d like to stay Sis and meet these people if I could.” Duhiel spoke in a monotone. He raised his eyes to Lafiel’s they along with the rest of her face were smiling. “Of course you can Duhiel if you wish we could advance the time so Jinto can lift off before dark.” Duhiel nods and Lafiel opens a link to Erin “That’s not a problem Princess we’ll meet you in ten minutes.” The link closes and Lafiel comments, “I’ll wear what I have on, it’s about time they see the real me. Don’t you think so Jinto?” Jinto doesn’t know what to think his mind has absorbed too much in the past several hours. At least seeing Erin might bring some sense to this very confusing day. “I. You look fine Lafiel we need to go, ten minutes is not a long time.” Jinto, Lafiel and Duhiel leave the kitchen and head for the docks.

Erin and Scholar are sitting at the edge of the dock they see Jinto and Lafiel approach, but who is this other person? Erin goes to leave Scholar stops her “Look at his ears child, that must be her brother. Don’t panic at the site of strangers there are a lot of them on this planet.” Erin relaxes she watches as they approach it is true the male with them has those family ears like the Princesses although a bit bigger. Then she notices how Lafiel is dressed. Well if this is the dress code for this planet Erin could unpack a lot of her clothes she thought good taste would prevent her from wearing.

Jinto arrives first he introduces Erin and Scholar to Duhiel. Duhiel stands looking at them. The one called Erin is fairly normal looking by Abh standards, but the one called Scholar he can sense something from her. Duhiel focus his attention on Scholar she speaks to him. “Duhiel there is something you want to ask me, I wish you would ask it so we may discuss it.” Duhiel nods “You’re a descendant of the builders aren’t you?” Scholar smiles “Princess you have a very observant and well educated brother. Yes young one I am the one you seek. How did you know?”

Duhiel smiles “You want me to say it in front of everyone?” Scholar nods “Yes I do. I’ve admitted to who I am. Now how did you know?” Duhiel takes a deep breath and says, ”Your color has faded the roots are lavender Scholar.” Erin turns to Scholar “It’s true the sun has faded the red away, your roots are natural. I’m sorry elder I failed to notice.” Scholar stops her “It’s alright young one. I was getting tired of coloring my hair. Anyway this is a new world and it deserves a new look from me as well.” Duhiel continued, “Lavender hair, the lack of a sensory organ, the ability to link with Abh built A.I. units. Only one of the builders would have those talents.”

Duhiel steps back and bows to Scholar “Welcome Oh Honored One.” Scholar scowls at him, “Keep your place young one. Just because I am who I am, I do not want any honors or favoritism from you or your people. I’m no better, no worse than any of you. You get that through those pointed ears of yours. I’m your sisters friend, I can be yours, but you shall treat me as a normal individual have I made myself clear?”

Duhiel’s face glows red he’s just made his first major error in judgment, his Abh arrogance has just been deflated before his eyes and those around him have left him on his own. “I’m sorry Scholar it seems I’m not as well educated as you first thought.” Lafiel goes to speak Scholar stops her, “It’s my understanding you might become Emperor one day is that true?

Duhiel nods, Scholar continues, “Let today be a lesson to you. Every being deserves to be treated equally, no matter if they are superior, or inferior to your race. Do not prejudge Duhiel, always enter every situation with an open and objective mind and you shall occupy the Jade Throne. Apology is accepted, now Princess we need to talk there is a problem none of us figured on happening.” The conversation continued Duhiel stood there feeling as if the grand chamberlain had just taken him down several notches for some mistake he made. This woman, she must be the one Father spoke of the new hope of the Empire.

“Princess the transport is rocking in the water and about fifty of the residents are very sea sick. Although the village is not finished we need to get them off and into some kind of shelter before nightfall.” Lafiel looks at Jinto “ I know where we can put them.” Jinto nods, “There is enough sleeping arrangement for sixty, if we need more we’ll stack them on the floor in the conference room.” Scholar stares at them “You have room for sixty where I see no buildings on this island.” Lafiel taps Jinto on the shoulder “Go show them, I’ll stay here with Duhiel.” Erin, Scholar and Jinto head up the path to the residence.

Lafiel stands looking at Duhiel “You feeling alright brother?” Duhiel nods “I really fouled up didn’t I Sis?” Lafiel places her hand on his shoulder “No if you had really fouled up you’d be treading water in the slip, you just misunderstood. I did it a couple of times too, before Jinto set me straight. Heed Scholar’s words brother she is very wise and well educated. She is partly responsible for all of us being here uninjured. But her responsibilities encompass so much more. She is almost in the capacity of Empress and guardian to these people.

She takes nothing lightly, yet still has a sense of humor as you have found out brother.” Duhiel shakes his head, “You call that a sense of humor? I haven’t been dressed down like that in years, in fact Lafiel, I can’t ever remember being so embarrassed in my whole life. Although that was a pretty stupid thing I did wasn’t it?”

Lafiel rubs his head like a little kid. “Yeah that was a classic brother, but you don’t feel destroyed like you would have felt after Father or Grandmother had chewed you out do you?” Duhiel reflects “You’re right Sis I feel pretty silly and embarrassed but not completely demoralized as the Grand Chamberlain would have left me. So that is the sense of humor you were talking about? She has the ability to make you see your errors and find humor in yourself over them. A remarkable being she is, I’ll need to get to know her better.” Lafiel smiles. “You know where we are, once settled I’m sure you can stop by before your trial starts.”

Duhiel goes to speak his creunoc flashes an emergency code. Instinctively he answers it not caring who is around, “This is the Captain explain your signal now!” The communications officer is on the other end she explains the First Officer has been trying to send signals since Duhiel had left the ship. “Captain how much longer will you be on the surface world?” Duhiel gets very annoyed, “I will return when I’m finished not a moment sooner if you can’t keep the First Officer under control.” Duhiel pauses and looks Lafiel in the face she is smiling “Route me to the security chief.”

The security chief answers Duhiel becomes very blunt “Chief relieve the First Officer and confine him to his quarters till I return. If he puts up one bit of a scuffle throw him in the brig.” “Yes Captain right away!” The communications officer comes on line Duhiel address her directly, “The ship is yours till I return, communications blackout except to this creunoc is that understood?” “Yes Captain understood.” The link closes Duhiel gets angry “Damn Father and his lousy spies I wish I could talk with him I’d like to give him a piece of my mind about now.”

Lafiel turns Duhiel’s creunoc her way, she punches in a set of commands. Seconds later the First Officer aboard the Jemkau is answering him. “Kilo Commander! I’ll send this to the Admiral immediately.”

“Duhiel what is it son?” Duhiel is in shock, he looks at Lafiel she smiles and points at the creunoc. Duhiel nods. “Father we need to talk. Your operative aboard my ship is becoming an annoyance I just had to confine him to his quarters. Debeusec face flickers “Him? Not him. Her. Your communications officer is in my employ. Which him do you speak of?” Flabbergasted Duhiel says “My First Officer, that him.”

Debeusec consults the crew records for Duhiel’s ship. His expression changes, “It would seem your Grand Mother has missed on of His Excellency’s operatives son. You better throw him in the brig. I’ll send a patrol ship to the system so you can hand him over to me. I’ll make him disappear. I guess you’ll need a First Officer then?”

“Not now Father. The communications officer has earned the right to be promoted. I’ve got a candidate to replace her aboard already. Thank you, I’ll need to inform the ship to formally arrest him.” Debeusec smiles, “That won’t be necessary son I’ve already informed your new First Officer. She’s thrown him in the brig under my orders.” Duhiel nods “I see Father keeping my hands clean are you. Don’t expect too much from me.” Debeusec nods, “I never have. If your sister can hear my voice, I send you, my daughter, my love.” The link closes before Lafiel can answer.

Duhiel stares at his creunoc. “Lafiel how did you do that? That was a direct link to Father’s ship. How Sis tell me How?” Lafiel presses the communications menu on the creunoc. There is a new entry it’s labeled HOME. “This gives you access to the ring of satellites that are in orbit around this planet. They are high-powered secure coded communications links. You have limited access now, should you become Emperor I’ll give you full access. With these from this planet communications with the twelfth ring is possible and in very short order. Once you’re assigned to the race, you can communicate with me directly and discretely by using this link.” Duhiel nods he gives Lafiel a big hug “Thank you Sis thank you.”

“It’s perfect utterly perfect. How soon can we use the facility?” Scholar’s voice echoed across the lake as they approached the dock. “Princess that building is perfect. We will be honored to use it for at least the night.” Lafiel smiles “Glad you approve, actually even if you didn’t, it’s all we have. How soon can it be made ready Jinto?”

“Well Lafiel it’s ready now. Seems Erin and Scholar have practical experience in setting up cots. We managed to get all sixty up and ready to use.” Lafiel shakes her head, “Another day full of surprises.” She turns to Duhiel, “Are you leaving or can you stay the night?” Duhiel sheepishly asks, ”If you have the room I’d like to stay the night if that’s alright?” Lafiel nods and Scholar speaks. “If you don’t mind I’d like to start moving some of the residence over to the building and if you don’t mind Duhiel I’d like you to help.” Duhiel nods “I’d be honored to help Scholar honored indeed.” Erin, Scholar and Duhiel head off to where the transports are parked. Jinto and Lafiel stand gazing across the lake when in the distance part of the valley lights up. “Guess Samson has the reactor up and running.” Lafiel nods, “It’s going to take some getting use to.” Jinto agrees “Yeah having neighbors even though they’re several hours off. Still at night we can see their lights.” He puts his arm around Lafiel “You’re okay with this aren’t you?” “Yeah Jinto I’m fine. I have Duhiel back.”

Seelnay threw the switch and the constructions lamps lit, there was a cheer from everyone on the site. Samson places his hand on Risch’s shoulder “Not bad lad, took us longer than I thought but the system is in and operating. We have the cables run for the balance of the site, now that water and waste disposal are almost complete. We can start assembling buildings.” Risch takes in the view, at first he was opposed to leaving the trees standing, but now he fully understood Samson’s insistence of building around nature. Once completed the village will look like it had been here for years. A glance towards reactor he sees Seelnay resting against a large rock.

Excusing himself from Samson he walks over to her. “Seelnay it’s been a pretty long day are you alright?” She gazes up at him “I’m fine why shouldn’t I be.” She stops and glances at the small bump in her abdomen. “This is going to sound strange, but there are times I forget I’m pregnant. This little one seems more interested in what I’m doing and is enjoying the ride.” Risch shakes his head, “That almost sounds like something Noel would say. I get the feeling some times she ready to tackle parent hood then other times she’s so far removed from the thought.”

Seelnay smiles, “Truth be told, this is what my friends would refer to as a surprise child. It’s not that I didn’t want children, but at my age it’s risky at best, then there are other factors. Now that I am pregnant and Ku’s gone, this little one becomes all that I should be living for. But my selfishness keeps me putting in long hours like these. I guess as long as the little one doesn’t complain, I’ll keep on going as I am. It’s what gives me a sense of purpose.”

Seelnay goes to stand but the days labor has left her unable to. Risch offers a hand and brings her to her feet “Seelnay I think you need to rest.” Dusting her self off she says, “I guess you’re right. I didn’t realize how tired I was till I tried to stand up.” Risch helps her to the hover sled. Lying down on the bench seat she’s sleeping within moments. Risch covers her and goes looking for Samson.

Risch finds Samson staring at the planning table. He tells him of his encounter with Seelnay. Samson looks across the field and sees her sleeping on the hover sled. “Take the sled and run her back to the residence, tell Count Hyde every thing that’s happened. Have him make sure that she rests. I feel bad, we got going on this project and I completely lost track of her.” Risch nods, he walks over to the hover sled straps Seelnay in and takes off for the hour trip to the residence. Samson watches as they leave. Calling the balance of the workers over he tells everyone, “Get some rest, we’ve come far enough to wait till sunrise.” Hover sleds make wonderful beds especially these they had the soft packing material from the reactor electronics aboard. Samson reduced the lighting to a minimum and fond a place to sleep. This day was over.

After moving fifty-five motion sick people into the annex Jinto, Lafiel, Erin, Scholar and Duhiel sat around the table looking at the night sky and talking. The sheer beauty the atmosphere gave to the night sky took Duhiel aback. Scholar was pointing out stars to him the rest were listening to her. The silence was broken with the sound of a hover sled coming up the path from the lake. Jinto stood and looked down the path “I wonder who that is and why are they heading here?” Risch maneuvered the sled and set it on the flat area of the path between the residence and the annex. “Can I get some help over here?” he called. Scholar was to her feet and half way there before Risch had finished his question. She took the lamp from her side and shined it on Seelnay. She was lying there asleep and unresponsive. “Poor child, she’s exhausted, help me get her inside.” Risch pulled the pins that held the seat to the sled; Scholar, Jinto, Erin and he carried the seat, Seelnay and all into the residence. Lafiel and Duhiel followed them inside.

Un-strapping her from the seat and placing her on the sofa Scholar finally got her to wake up. “Seelnay tell me how you feel?” Seelnay one eye partially open said, “I guess I over did it Scholar I forgot to consume enough for two.” Scholar looked at Lafiel “Princess do you have a scanner here?” Lafiel nods and goes to get it, in the mean time Jinto and Risch have taken the seat back to the sled it’s there Risch tells Jinto what happened. “She wore herself out you found her reclined against a rock, you had to help her to her feet and you brought her here?” Risch nods “That’s about all of it?” Jinto turns towards the residence “Risch when was the last time she ate or had fluids?” Risch following Jinto said, “I don’t know I don’t remember seeing her eat or drink?” Jinto’s pace increased “How long was she around the reactor today?” As the came through the door Risch said, “Most of the day why?”

Entering the living room, Jinto made the statement, “She’s had an overdose of radiation.” Scholar looked at Jinto, “You’re good, you know that? It’s not an overdose it’s just enough to make her sick. The baby seems fine but only time will tell. All of those years working with fuel systems her resistance is high, but couple that with her being pregnant, the lack of food and water, she got sick.” Scholar passes the scanner over her again, she hands it to Jinto. “It’s like she spent too much time in the sun is that what you make of it?” Jinto looks at the readings then at Seelnay, “Readings like these she should have a sunburn but she doesn’t. I wonder why?” From the sofa the answer comes “I’m not that stupid, I did spray myself with protection before I entered the reactor. I guess it wore or washed off and let some radiation in.”

Seelnay grabs the scanner from Jinto and reads it, she hands it back to Scholar “I’ve done worse before, I’ll be fine after some sleep, so please let me sleep.” She rolls on her side facing the back of the sofa and drifts off to sleep. Scholar makes another pass across Seelnay then motions everyone to the kitchen. Sitting and standing around the table Scholar says, “She’s stubborn. I hope that child isn’t going to follow in her footsteps. I’m keeping these readings as base someone needs to scan her every half hour for the next four hours. If the readings drop that’s good, if they hold that’s bad. Erin and I will be next door if you need us. I’ll be back around sunrise.” She and Erin leave. Risch stretches and says “I’d better be getting back, without Seelnay, Samson and I will have our hands full. I’ll tell the big guy when I get back. I’m sure he won’t be real happy, probably blame himself for all of this.” Risch leaves.

Jinto, Lafiel and Duhiel sit at the table, Duhiel is a bit confused things have come at him from a hundred different directions. Just now his mind is trying to make sense of all of it, yet Jinto and Lafiel have taken it in stride and not let it overwhelm them, well at least they’re not showing it as he is. Lafiel grabs her brother’s hand, “So you’re glad you stayed?” Duhiel still sorting everything out said “Is it always like this?” Lafiel smiled “No sometimes it’s worse.” Duhiel went blank at that statement. Lafiel gently squeezed his hand “Hey you still here or did you go back to the peace and quiet of space?”

Duhiel glanced around him, here he was in a house his Father had built on a planet and it was beginning to feel normal to him. Everyone here treated him as Duhiel not Prince or Commander just Duhiel. Even though this day, which had been an organized madhouse, there were no ill words were said, and no blood was shed. “Is this how landers normally live?” Jinto nods “Yeah pretty much. We have our moments but for the most part, like you, it’s us against nature, granted in space it’s easier to lose ones life, but without a lot of knowledge these surface worlds can be quite deadly too.”

Jinto looks at Lafiel “You know we now have a problem?” Lafiel nods “Yeah we do my dear, where are you going to sleep?” Duhiel looks puzzled “I’m lost Sis could you explain this to me?” Lafiel leans back she points to Jinto. “You explain it dear.” Jinto clears his throat and says, “Well the original plan was for you to sleep in the guest room, Lafiel in our room and myself on the couch. However since Seelnay is here, well that kind of changes things.”

Duhiel places his face in his right hand and gently starts to chuckle. “Sis it won’t bother me if you and Jinto share the same bed. I’m sure you have plenty of times in the past.” He raises his head and saw the look on Lafiel’s face, he had made his second mistake of the day. “No. Duhiel, this is a decision Jinto and I made awhile back. If you or Father are to sleep here, we sleep apart, there is no discussion on this matter.” She looks at Jinto. “I’ll sleep on the floor next to Seelnay that way I can scan her.” Jinto shook his head “No I will, you take the bed. You know how the floor affects you.” Lafiel nods, “Fine I’ll get the guest room ready.” She storms out of the kitchen.

“Your sister is still modest when it comes to you and your Father, accept that fact and we all will get along.” Duhiel nods “Yeah I should have known better I thought I would tease her like Father use to, but I guess she’s finally grown out of that stage.” Jinto places his hand on Duhiel’s shoulder “Brother you should be glad you are who you are, if not you would have been looking at the floor about now, she got a nasty right hook.” Duhiel’s eyebrows raised “So you’ve had first hand experience and you still live? Then she must truly love you.”

Lafiel stepped back into the kitchen engrossed in a conversation from her creunoc, “Forty eight hours off you say? I’ll decide when she comes through the Sord if I’ll speak with her.” “Lafiel, Kufadis was pretty insistent you speak with her before she goes to the Capital.” “I see, where are you now Noel?” “In my quarters, why do you ask?” “I need a favor from you. Are you on planetary time or Imperial time?” “Imperial time.” Lafiel does some fast figuring “Bring the second shuttle down here at fifteen hundred hours Imperial time. You’ll pick up my brother and take him back to his ship. At that time we will finish this discussion.” “Fifteen hundred hours it is. If Seelnay’s condition changes you’ll let me know, there is a hospital ship up here. In fact I’ll have them come closer just to be safe.” “Fine I’ll remember that and notify my Brother’s ship that he’ll be back around seventeen thirty hours I’m sure his first office is concerned.” “Consider it done Ekuryua out.”

Lafiel shuts off the creunoc and faces Jinto “Guess who’s coming to dinner?” Jinto nods “It’s not like you weren’t expecting her now were you?” Lafiel slams her fist on the table. “Ku Rin Apu!!!” Jinto places his fingers across her lips “Temper, temper, dear.” She stops and looks at Duhiel, “Your bed is ready when ever you are. I’m going to take a shower I need to cool off.” As she goes to leave Jinto asks, “Did you fire the hot water tank? If not it will be a cold shower you’ll take.” In the door way she spins around. “No I didn’t and cold will be just fine. I told you I need to cool off Jinto. Good night.” She leaves.

Duhiel remarks, “Wow! Do you always get her to calm down like that? I’d never silence her especially when that phrase is leaving her lips.” Jinto smiles, “I don’t know if it’s bravery or foolhardiness but once, no twice, your sister has finished that phrase in my presences and the outcome wasn’t pleasant. I figure I’d spare you her rage.” Duhiel chuckles, “You keep forgetting Jinto she’s been my sister longer than she’s been your lover. Rage is her middle name. I think I’ll go to be it’s been a long day.” He raises, Jinto points him to his room then Jinto passes the scanner over Seelnay, the levels are dropping.

Pulling a futon from the closet he lays on the floor at Seelnay’s feet. It does not take long for Jinto to drift off. Every half hour his creunoc wakes him and he scans Seelnay. The levels continue to drop. Scholar takes over at dawn and Jinto finally goes to sleep. Seelnay wakes a couple of hours later. Scholar explains why she is there “You had us all worried although you saw no problem in what you did. The levels are normal the baby seems fine. Are you hungry?” Seelnay realizes what happened, she thumbs through the scans that were taken “Wow I was pretty stupid, yes I’m hungry.”

Scholar produces a couple of meal packets, she hands them to Seelnay “It’s not a three course meal but everything your body requires is with in them. Seelnay takes them and stares at their contents. The first one is a pale green, the second a medium brown. Seelnay frowns “I’ll bet they have no taste to them either.” Scholar opens the green one the fragrance of the contents makes Seelnay’s mouth water. “Unlike the Abh, we enjoy flavor in our food.” Seelnay takes the packet from her and consumes the contents. “Not bad, not bad at all and the brown stuff?” Scholar hands her the brown packet, Seelnay opens it “Smells like roast beef and.” She takes a small sample “Tastes like, oh this is good.” She consumes the balance of the packet. Scholar passes the scanner over her again. “Here have a look most of your levels are returning to normal.”

Seelnay takes the scanner and passed it over herself. She feels much better; finally, she makes a localized pass with the scanner. A frown appears on her face. Scholar takes note and asks “What wrong child?” Seelnay passes her the scanner. “It’s nothing, I was just hoping, guess I’m going to have a little girl.” The scanner details the fetus; this time it could identify the sex with ninety-nine percent certainty. Seelnay leans back on the couch she took a deep breath and slowly released it. “A little girl, guess I should start thinking up names, I had a whole head full of boys names.”

Scholar sat next to her. “You carry a healthy child, does the sex of it mean so much to you?” Seelnay frowns; “You’ve never had children so how would you know.” Scholar faces her, “You’re pretty sure about that statement young one? Well I’ve got news for you. I was having children long before you were born. There were three, only one survives now. Don’t lecture me about not getting what you want and don’t ever try to read my mind again.”

Seelnay places her hands on her lap she stares into Scholar’s pale gray eyes, for one fleeting second she can feel Scholar probing her thoughts she freely lets her into her mind. Scholar smiles and then nods “You understand now Seelnay?” Seelnay nods, “You hold your appearance very well, I’d never though you could be.” She pauses “What am I saying! Her Highness will look the way she does until the day she dies why should I be surprised at your age?”

Scholar chuckles “I’ve never had someone make the comment that way before, most of the time its amazement, but I guess being around the Abh all of your life you have accepted it better than most. When the time comes I’ll introduce my daughter to you. She’s a little older than you are, although you two look the same age. Can’t be helped I guess, its something she got from me.”

Seelnay watches as Scholar goes to leave, “Wonder if I’ll look that good at one hundred?” Scholar senses her thought. “It all depends child, first thing you need to do is take better care of yourself. Then if you wish I can give you instruction on staying younger looking.” Scholar turns towards the door, as she leaves she says, “Thank you for all your hard work yesterday. Your efforts will be rewarded.” Seelnay lies back down on the couch and drifts off to sleep.

Standing in her room door cracked Lafiel has heard most of Scholar and Seelnay’s conversation. She turns to her mirror and gazes at her self “I wonder how old Scholar is? I hope she is young enough to be around a while. I’ve got a lot to learn from her.” Lafiel opens her door she crosses over to where Duhiel is sleeping, opening the door she finds him gone. A quick check of her creunoc show his position, he’s in the garden. Lafiel heads that way.

Approaching the garden she sees him at the rose bushes, he’s studying the bloom with great detail, as she approaches him he says, ”Beautiful garden Lafiel, makes the imperial one pale in comparison, although you have so few species the ones you have give so much color and fragrance. Did you sleep well?” Lafiel stands along side him “I slept, since when did you start taking to flowers? You never liked them before.”

He turns and faces her, “That’s what you get for running off early, I grew up sister, without you around. I discovered a lot of things on my own. It would have been nice if you had been around to help and share with my discoveries. But that’s something else I can blame Father for.”

Lafiel shook her head “Don’t blame everything on Father. I could have made an effort to live with him but I didn’t and I took the easy way out. Although it wasn’t all that easy, I’ll tell you a secret I almost came home after the first four weeks, but Father was being an ass on the vide phone, so I made up my mind I’d out last him. In the process of me getting even with him, I hurt you brother, I hope you can forgive me.”

Duhiel picks a rose and gives it to Lafiel, “I can forgive you Sis, if you can forgive me for anything I do in the future.” Lafiel takes the rose and gives it a gentle sniff. Its robust fragrance tingles her nose, “I can forgive you brother, try not to be too harsh in your actions, but I can forgive you.” Duhiel smiles and looks at his creunoc, “We have three hours before my ride arrives. What shall we do?” Lafiel smiles “How about breakfast for you, Jinto and I? Of course I’ll cook.” Duhiel nods, “I’d like that Lafiel I’d like that a lot.” They head back to the residence, wake Jinto and Lafiel starts cooking.

“I see you can’t sleep either, well at least you get to go planet side shortly. I still get to sit up here wondering how soon I’ll see Samson.” Ekuryua sits at the display in her quarters Sobbash’s frankness has caught her momentarily off guard. “So I get to go planet side doesn’t mean I’ll see Risch, he’s still off constructing the village with Samson. You know I’m picking up Lafiel’s brother and returning him to his ship. I’ll probably be on the surface long enough to do that. I’m not sure which one of us is having the hardest time coping Sobbash.” Sobbash’s face distorts slightly then returns to normal, “After you told me what was happening planet side I began to worry I wondered if Seelnay was the only one exposed to the reactor. It left me with dreams, I wish one of them would open a comm. link, to let us know how they are doing.”

Ekuryua stretches in the chair “You know by now when the two of them get together they lose all track of time. I’ve scanned the site they are about half completed. Given Seelnay’s not there to help I figured Samson must have found someone else with system knowledge to help, either that or he and Risch are doing the work of three. If that’s the case it would explain the silence, they don’t have the time to talk.”

Ekuryua notices a half empty glass has entered the picture. “What are you drinking Sobbash?” “Something Samson and I usually enjoy together. This is the second bottle I’m relaxed but by now if he were here I’d be.” Ekuryua very annoyed asks, “Is it because he can get drunk and you can’t, is that what you find so fascinating about him?” There is a pause and then, “Is it because he saved your life and suffered great embarrassment? Is that what draws you to him Noel?”

They sit glaring at each and then simultaneously they both say; “I love him, I’m lonely and I miss him dearly!” Sobbash smiles, “I’ll be over shortly. You’re not going down there without me.” Noel shakes her head “What about Lafiel’s brother? We can’t make him wait.” “That’s why I’m going with you, last time I looked in the mirror. I still held the rank of Rear Admiral in the Star Forces.”

Ekuryua sits shaking her head from side to side “You and I have gotten too close Sobbash. We’ve put aside a lot of things between us. For openers, our military ranks, I feel you’ve become more of a big sister and friend to me than a commanding officer. I should be careful of how I taunt you at times. One day you might pull rank on me.”

“I’m glad to see you remember some minor details, I’ll be over shortly and we will leave early to go planet side that should make everyone happy. Spoor’s still thirty hours off so she won’t be dropping in unannounced. Do you have any idea why that patrol ship rendezvoused with Duhiel’s ship?” Ekuryua shakes her head, “Sorry Admiral I have no idea but it was a short visit and the ship returned the way it came. Maybe Her Highness knows or maybe her brother? Do not worry about details Sobbash get over here so we can get going.” Sobbash nods and the comm. link goes silent.

Ekuryua dresses for a planet side visit. Then she heads for the bridge and confers with her First Officer. Leaving the bridge she makes her way to the docking bay and awaits Sobbash’s arrival. Thirty minutes later the shuttle departs the attack frigate heading to the surface.

Lafiel had just served breakfast when the first sonic boom was heard. Jinto looks skyward, he picked up on the contrails the shuttle was leaving across the bright blue sky, “Commander Ekuryua’s early, you told her fifteen hundred Imperial time didn’t you Lafiel?” Lafiel picks up the contrails too “Yes Jinto and she read back my orders, well I hope she’s had breakfast cause I’m not cooking any more. I’m having this now before it grows cold I suggest you do the same Jinto, she knows how to get here from the dock.”

Lafiel passes the serving plate to Duhiel “Eat up brother it might be sometime before you get to sample my cooking again.” Not waiting Duhiel served himself. In the distance the secondary sonic booms could be heard as Ekuryua turned final approach to the lake. “Guess she’ll be here sooner than I figured, I really wish Ekuryua would follow standard approach procedures.” Jinto then took a fork full of eggs and devoured them. “Well at least she’s by herself if somebody was aboard she wouldn’t fly like that.” Jinto’s words didn’t affect Duhiel he had already heard of Ekuryua’s legendary flying skills. He was hoping to sample some of them on his way back to the ship. The splash of touch down was heard Jinto mused, “About eight minutes from now she should be coming up the walk.” They sat eating waiting to see if Jinto was right.

Continued in the next post

Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

“That was a ten G turn Noel! What were you thinking? I about slid out of the seat.” “I told you to strap in tightly I can’t help if you didn’t listen to me.” Those words and voices drifted up from the lake Jinto recognized both of them immediately. “Lafiel we’ve got company.” Lafiel was coming out the door with the last of breakfast she hadn’t heard the first words from the lake the next ones she heard plainly. “I’m flying back Commander, I believe there is a regulation somewhere about endangering the safety of a superior officer.” “Your problem Admiral is you’ve been flying a desk too long, you’ve gotten soft just admit it.” Lafiel stared down the path she could see Sobbash and Ekuryua clearing the corner from the garden, they were walking side by side and arguing fiercely.

“I don’t understand you Admiral, you know how I fly. You think it would change overnight? I’ll fly this way till I die.” “Commander you’re right about one thing you’ll die flying like that, but I refuse to be part of your death wish.” They got close enough for Lafiel to intervene “Hey! HEY!” Sobbash and Ekuryua stopped arguing and turned their gaze to Lafiel. “What are you two doing here and early to boot? I was hoping to have a peaceful breakfast with my brother before he left. What is with you two?”

Duhiel was eating and listening but not looking; he raised his gaze at Lafiel’s words. Standing before him was an Admiral of the Star Forces; he went to stand Sobbash stopped him. “Stay seated Your Highness. Ranks have no meaning on this world. Continue what you were doing.” She turned to Lafiel “Sorry Princess. We came early to investigate the lack of progress reports from the landing party.” Lafiel stopped her “You’re lonely too eh?” Faces flushed they both nod. “Find a hover sled at the dock and go see them. Call me when you’re ready to return.”

She looks at Ekuryua, “Nice outfit Noel you wore that here or did you change after you landed?” Ekuryua stood in a T-shirt, jacket, shorts and hiking boots. “You like this? I wore it down from the ship figured I wouldn’t have time to change.” Lafiel shakes her head, “I like the outfit, but your failure to wear a uniform could have jeopardized yours and the Admirals life. What was that an eight G turn on the overhead?” Sheepishly Noel corrected her “Ten G.” Lafiel’s eyes grew angry. “TEN G’s! Without a pressure suit? It’s a wonder you’re still walking around. If you had lost control of that shuttle and it would have impacted in the village or here.” Lafiel stopped “You understand me Commander. Don’t be that thoughtless again.”

Ekuryua nods she and Sobbash leave. Duhiel looks at Lafiel he can see every muscle in her is tensed. Normally when she got that angry she would physically lash out, but this time she used words to convey her anger. Slowly Lafiel stood there and relaxed, finally Jinto placed his hand on her shoulder. “You alright Lafiel?” Lafiel starts to reflect “Yeah Jinto I’ll be fine in a few minutes. Some times she is so thoughtless and Sobbash, she’s just as bad. Ten G’s, no pressure suit and she is still able to walk. I don’t know Jinto, was I too harsh with them?” Jinto shakes his head. “No just about right, a very measured response for you. Don’t worry; you got your point across. I doubt if she ever do something that thoughtless again.” Duhiel sat there wondering if he could get Ekuryua to be thoughtless on their trip back to his ship. He was so looking forward to an exciting ride.

Making their way to the dock Sobbash and Ekuryua found a hover sled. Ekuryua took the controls “I’ll drive.” Sobbash said, then seeing the look on Ekuryua’s face she said, “Okay you drive but.” Ekuryua nods they leave calmly. Approaching the village they are amazed with what they saw. Most of the residences were on site and helping with the construction. They spotted Samson and Risch at the water plant. Ekuryua crept the shed up behind them. “Ah Ha!” They both said. Samson and Risch turned to see them; somewhere between the sled and where they were standing they met in two separate embraces.

Noel hopped into Risch’s arms even though he was covered in dirt. She kisses his dirty face “I really missed you why didn’t you contact the ship?” Risch shrugs his shoulders and points towards Samson and Sobbash. “Ask him.”

Sobbash places a hug upon Samson, she also kisses a dirty face. “Your creunoc broken? Because if its not.” Samson smiles “Its not. So are you going to kill me here, or give me the long slow lingering loving death?” Sobbash steps back she take the flats of her hands and bounces them of Samson’s chest, she is greeted with a cloud of dust. “When did you bathe last Samson?” Samson shakes his head, “It’s simple when I left the ship, the water plant is not operational. So there is no running water or showers.” Sobbash frowns, “So It’s been three days since you bathed? Samson nods “Yes it has is that a problem?” Sobbash smiles, “No not really. There is a lake not far from here, I could scrub your back.”

Samson smiles he looks towards Risch, it seems Ekuryua has the same plans. “I believe a break might be in order, don’t you think so Risch?” Risch nods and he turns back to Noel, “I like that outfit.” Noel smiles, “You’ll like what’s under it better.” Risch smiles “There is a waterfall not far from here, a natural shower of sorts. Although I must warn you its mountain fed about twenty degrees C this time of year.” She places his hand on her neck its quite warm “That’s perfect I need some cooling off.” They take the hover sled and leave.

Samson and Sobbash watch as they depart. Samson turns to Sobbash she is frowning “There is a hot spring about ten minutes from here if cold is not to your liking.” Sobbash’s eyes light up. “I now realize why I stay with you, we think too much alike. Shall we go?” Samson nods they take the short walk to the other hover sled and depart.

“Admiral, Commander Yuma is here.” Admiral Kenesh presses a button on the console “Show her in.” The door opens and Commander Yuma enters, her left arm in a sling and a noticeable limp in her walk. She starts to salute Kenesh. “Never mind Yuma. Tell me how you’re feeling.” Commander Yuma sits in front of Kenesh. “I’m getting better Admiral. It’s one thing to have a ship shot out from under you, its another for your escape to be a battle all its own.” She leans back in her seat. “Admiral about those Rebels, you realize we will have to kill every last one of them, they won’t surrender. They are fanatic to a point I’ve never seen before. Several of their ships were badly damaged and they destroyed them before our eyes to avoid capture.” Yuma stops “You didn’t call me here to hear a report you’ve already read Kenesh. What is it you want?”

Kenesh leans forward she’s facing Yuma point blank “I’m relieving you from combat Yuma. You’re being reassigned to me as my new Chief of Staff.” Yuma chuckles “Your new, old, Chief of Staff. We’ve done this dance once before Kenesh with disastrous results as you should remember.” Kenesh nods “That was then, he is dead. This is now, you want the job or not?” Yuma stares into the eyes of her old friend and classmate. Taking in everything around her she says, ”Sure I’ll take it. It’s got to be better than combat was.”

Kenesh pick a folder off her desk and holds it before Yuma “You may not think so after you see this.” She hands the folder to Yuma it takes her a moment to open it. “You’ve got to be kidding me Kenesh. You said he was dead.” Kenesh proceeds to explain that this is Dustain and how he wound up getting to the Capital. Yuma sits quietly listening, folder in her lap going over its contents as Kenesh continues to speak, “I need you to investigate him, you’re the most objective person I know.”

Yuma gets to the part of the report where at first he was interested in Lafiel then lately he’s shown interest in Kenesh. “Seem he’s interested in you too. Maybe you should investigate him.” Kenesh glares at Yuma. “Well if you not interested in this case I have one more.” Kenesh hands her another folder. “You want to take a crack at that one instead?” Yuma open this folder she never makes it past the first page. Closing the folder and handing it back to Kenesh she says, “I’ll take Dustain, I’ve made enough life and death decisions lately, that folder is all yours Admiral.”

Kenesh places the folder on her desk. “Yuma, take your time with him. Get to know him before you judge him. I still believe you’re the best person for the job and you saw the information limits placed on him from the council?” Yuma nods “He’s to know nothing important and I’ll assume nothing about his other self and his relations with others. Am I correct?” Kenesh nods “There is going to come a time when he’ll find out but now is too soon. I’ve sent Ariel away from the Capital if she was to see him the results would be disastrous, she’s finally dealing with Dusanyu’s death. If she were to see Dustain, you understand why I chose you for this project Yuma?”

Yuma leans forward and takes Kenesh’s hand in hers “I understand. I’ll serve you well as I always have. I’ll get settled today Admiral, is day after tomorrow okay for my first meeting with him?” Kenesh nods. Yuma stands, salutes and leaves the room folder under her good arm. Kenesh stares at the remaining folder on her desk “Now I have to decide the fate of an old friend and comrade, I’d would have been surprised if Yuma had chosen this unpleasant duty over the one I just gave her.” Kenesh places the folder back in the secure cabinet it was taken from. She dims the lights and leaves her office for the day. Tonight she might sleep.

Kufadis sat watching plane space rush by the Lashkau. It had been several hours since he and Commander Ekuryua had spoken, He was hoping for an answer for them by now, however silence was all that greeted him not only from the Princess but from Spoor as well. She had confined herself to quarters shortly after boarding the ship. She and Kufadis had one evening alone and since then she’s been isolating herself from everyone. Kufadis decided the bridge was the best place for him; he had done a double duty stretch rested eight hours and done the double, rest routine. Since they were twenty-five hours from Sord exit, one more cycle and they’d be there. “I wonder what I should do if the Princess refuses to see her.” he thought. For the balance of his duty cycle that problem rattled around with in his brain. Heading for sleep he’d not resolved this problem. Exhaustion replaced thought, he slept eight hours.

Returning to the constructions site a few minutes apart Risch, Ekuryua, Samson and Sobbash met up at the water plant. The finishing touches were completed and the plant went on line, water was flowing throughout the site.

Samson smiles “Still ahead of schedule in spite of a rest break.” Risch looked at Samson “Rest break? I’m completely exhausted she’s a.” A well-placed elbow from Ekuryua stops the rest of his statement. Samson looks at Ekuryua, she is red faced whether from embarrassment, or anger, it didn’t matter she was glowing. Sobbash walks next to her “Feeling better Commander?” Ekuryua nods, “Sometimes I really wish Abh’s didn’t have to be so honest, so blatantly honest.”

She walks off the heat still flowing from her. Risch stands there watching her walk off. “Guess she’s right, I like her, tend to shoot straight from the hip. Guess she’s pretty mad at me now but I was just.” Sobbash faces him, “There are times when your private life needs to stay private. Learn that and your ribs won’t hurt as they do now.” Samson places a hand on his shoulder, “I think an apology about now is in order unless you want her that way for a long time.” Risch nods he follows after Ekuryua.

Samson and Sobbash watch him leave. Sobbash says, “She is aggressive in everything she does I hope he’s up to it.” Samson places a hand on her shoulder “They’ll work it out, is your back feeling better?” Sobbash nods “Yes it is engineer you made all the proper adjustment to it. I guess I’ll have to keep you after all. How do you feel?” Samson smiles “I think the lad summed it up best and Ekuryua’s not the only aggressive Abh female here, Admiral.” Sobbash smiles “Glad you said that between us, if those two would have been here, your ribs would be smarting too Samson.” They turn their gaze towards the direction Risch went.

Risch finally caught up with Ekuryua and tried to apologize. Her anger was too great she turned and swung at him. Risch ducked the blow and caught her in the mid-section. Raising her off her feet, he proceeded to fireman’s carry her to the stream that ran behind the water plant. He threw her in, Splash. She landed seat first in the cold stream, Risch stood on the bank talking to her. “Cool off Noel, I tried to tell you I was sorry, but you have to be the most obstinate woman I’ve ever met.”

She stood up and walks towards him. “You think I’m obstinate? You might be right, but I am who I am. You’re going to have to get use to that fact. I’ll forgive you, if you’ll forgive me. I wasn’t thinking. You’ve suffered enough embarrassment because of me. One question Risch, why do you stay with me?” She now stood less than six inches from him water dripping from her and her shoes soaked. Risch smiles and placed his arms around her “Noel I love you. I always will and don’t change a whole, lot just a little.” He places his lips on hers and waits for her to respond. She melts into his arms. “I love you too Risch, I don’t want to lose you but my behavior at times, I could see where you would want to leave me.” Risch offers to carry her piggy back to the sled, so she can take off her wet shoes. She happily hops on his back.

Samson and Sobbash heard the loud voices, then the splash in the stream. They started to go look then thought better. About ten minutes later Risch and Ekuryua emerged from behind the plant laughing like a couple of school kids. She on his back, water dripping from her shorts and shoes. Risch sat her on the hover sled and Ekuryua took off her wet shoes and socks. “Looks like you two had fun” Sobbash said.

They both smiled, Ekuryua spoke “Let’s say the rules are set better than they’ve been and let it go from there.” She looks to Risch he nods. She turns back to Sobbash. “Thanks Sobbash Thanks a lot.” Sobbash stares blankly “For what am I getting thanks for?” Ekuryua smiles “Never mind I’ll tell you later.” Sobbash nods “That list of things you’re going to tell me later is getting pretty long. You better start soon, or I’ll start forgetting them.”

Samson interrupts her; “We need to finish this site so you two can have us back. I get the feeling you two need to be else where as well.” Sobbash checks her creunoc “You’re right Samson. His Highness is probably waiting for us as I speak.” Samson shakes his head “Her brother is still here? How long has he been here?” Sobbash nods “About a day and a half. You know if you would contact us from time to time. You could find out these little things.”

Sobbash walks over to the hover sled “Get yourself settled Commander we’re leaving, now!” Ekuryua gathers up her shoes and socks. Sobbash starts the sled and they depart. Risch stands there along Samson “Wow that’s not much of a good bye was it?” Samson pats him on the back “Nope it wasn’t, but it will make for a great hello when you see her again. Come on we got work to do I’m sure the site manager is looking for both of us.” They walk off towards the main building.

Ekuryua sat putting her wet socks back on her feet, and then she places them in the airflow from the sled to dry. “Sobbash that was really rude I didn’t get a chance to tell Risch good-bye.” Sobbash sits at the sled controls the wind whipping around the screen before her. She looks down and addresses Ekuryua, “Check your creunoc, play time is over.” Ekuryua turns on the device; a message from Lafiel is displayed, in essences it says her brother wants to return to his ship at once.

“That brother of hers is pretty impatient.” Ekuryua says. Sobbash shakes her head in disbelief, “You keep forgetting he is an Ablïarsec, a Prince of the Empire and senior to you Commander, you did finish the message, didn’t you?” Ekuryua glances at the creunoc, “You’ve got to be kidding he wants me and not you to take him back. Wow another little surprise on such an otherwise peaceful day.”

The sled skims over the surface of the lake as they approach the residence. Sobbash makes a perfect landing along side the building. “I suggest you find something different to wear Ekuryua, I’m sure His Highness will be expecting you in uniform.” Before she can finish Duhiel speaks as he rounds the corner of the building, “It’s not necessary Commander, if you’re comfortable dressed that way, I’ll allow it this time. We need to get going if you understand my meaning?”

Ekuryua places her boots on and laces them tightly, “Ready when you are Your Highness.” Duhiel nods, “My sister and Count Hyde are waiting at the dock shall we go?” The three of them take the walk to the dock. Duhiel takes in his surroundings one last time, it maybe decades before he can step foot on this surface world again.

Waiting on the dock Lafiel spies Duhiel coming down the path, there is a session of good byes then Duhiel and Ekuryua head for the shuttle. Before entering the shuttle, they have a discussion. Sobbash sees Ekuryua place her hands on her hips and listens to what Duhiel says. She removes her hands and nods to him. They enter the shuttle and depart the lake. Once airborne and clear of the area, Sobbash sees the shuttle doing extreme maneuvers over their heads as it heads for space.

“I’ll break her back to flyer when I get my hands on her.” Sobbash said. Lafiel’s hand hit Sobbash shoulder “You’ll do nothing of the sort Sobbash, it was my brothers intentions for Ekuryua to give him the royal treatment as they left. You might out rank him up there, but down here he is my brother.” Sobbash nods “Forgive me Your Highness I spoke out of turn.” Lafiel shakes her head, “Nonsense Sobbash, you spoke your mind that’s what I expect my friends to do, in fact consider it an order.”

Sobbash turns and looks at Lafiel she is smiling waiting for Sobbash’s response. “You don’t have to order me to be truthful Princess, just understand sometimes I’ll say things you won’t like hearing.” Lafiel nods “Remember one thing here you can speak your peace there is no vacuum close enough to eject you into.” Sobbash nods “What about Spoor? She’s coming and she’ll want to see you. What do I tell her when she gets here?” Lafiel’s smile disappears, “You’ll bring her to me here and only Kufadis may accompany her. Tell her nothing more. Oh Sobbash, I should tell you Ekuryua is staying on her ship. Jinto will take you back in the morning. I think you need some quality time to yourself, you may use the hover sled to explore this place if you wish.” Sobbash nods and starts to head back to the residence.

Lafiel turns to Jinto, “She needs sometime to herself I put her and Ekuryua through hell recently. It’s all I can do for now.” Jinto looks skyward, “You think he enjoyed the ride?” Lafiel gazes along with him, “I figured both of them did, you’ll have to tell me about your little ride you took with her sometime Jinto. You did seem moved by the experience and it’s about time you fess up.” Jinto slips an arm around Lafiel and turns her to him “She scared the crap out of me Lafiel and that’s all she did.” He kisses her on the cheek, “I’m here, standing with you, my loving mate for life. Does anything else really matter?” Lafiel gently touches his lips with hers the kiss lasts awhile, “No Jinto, I guess it really doesn’t matter, we have more important things to do than argue over a long past flight and several hour stay in space alone with.” Jinto finished it. “A wild woman, who I’m surprised hasn't killed anyone with her flying.” They turn and walk back to the residence together.

Acceleration is space was one thing, but this acceleration coupled with the gravitational forces of the planet was a sheer delight. Ekuryua had just finished several high-speed, high G force maneuvers and was heading out of the atmosphere as Duhiel’s head finally reset itself. Focusing on the display he reviewed their flight. There was one series of steep turns and roll maneuvers that ended with a ten G pull out. Checking the time index Duhiel figured that’s where he partially blackout. He gazed over to Ekuryua here she sat in landers clothes and no pressure suit and still withstood those maneuvers. “Commander, are you alright?” Ekuryua nods “Your Highness, are you alright?” Sheepishly Duhiel nods, “Think I missed part of the trip Commander.”

Ekuryua continues towards Duhiel’s ship “You said you could take anything I could throw at you, I have to admit I almost lost it after you did Your Highness so I’ll rate us as equals.” Those words from someone with Ekuryua reputation brought joy to Duhiel’s being. “Commander should anyone ever question your ability send them to me. I’ll be more than happy to set them straight.” Ekuryua nods “I’ll assume you enjoyed the ride then Your Highness?” Duhiel smiled “More than words can express Commander.” Ekuryua approaches Duhiel’s ship, docks with it and delivers him there. Exhausted she returns to her own ship, makes her way to her quarters and collapses for ten hours.

Sobbash stood on the hover sled deciding where to venture. Scanning the planetary diagram she found the spot she desired to see, it was marked, waterfalls. Following the path that lead from the residence she passed the lagoon and made her way up into the mountains. The scenery change to a tropical rainforest, the ground cover was extensive and the path she was following soon became over grown. The guidance unit on the sled still showed the path but from an altitude of ten feet it was no longer visible to the unaided eye. As Sobbash rounded a narrow corner in the path the scene suddenly changed, the thick underbrush started to disappear and the sound of water could be heard. Moving forward she found the waterfall. The trees parted way and there stood a fall with a one hundred twenty five meter drop to it.

The wall of water it dropped was almost thirty-five meters wide. It was breathtaking and extremely noisy. Sobbash noticed the path continued under the fall and up the other side. Instead of following the path she took the hover sled across the river downstream from the falls and then proceeded up the rivers edge to where the path continued. The view from this side of the falls was more spectacular that it had been from the other side. The sun shown through the water and made rainbows of different lengths and widths, at the top of the path she found the security grid. Hovering over the area she made note of its layout and found a weak spot that she would mention to Lafiel when she returned. Leaving the grid she went down the path, this time she went under the falls. The roar of the water and the sheer beauty of the area left her in awe. Returning to lagoon she stopped and gazed into its mirror like surface.

“I know we are creatures that once stood on a planet like this, then we ventured out to space and it became our home.” She saw a small disturbance in the surface of the lagoon, looking around she saw a school of fish feeding and breaking the surface of the lagoon. She slowly rotated the hover sled in a three hundred sixty degree turn. This planet was such a treasure; it had a little bit of everything on it, forests, plains and even a desert on the other side of the planet. She could see snow in the high mountains off to the west.

She began to envy Lafiel and Jinto, here was a place where one could express ones self and not fear the dangers of space. You could roam the landscape and find all the variety this planet had to offer without accidentally winding up in the vacuum of space. She knew surface worlds held there own dangers too, but the peacefulness of this place made her want to stay and never return to space. The shadow being cast over the lagoon reminded her that it would soon be dark. Sobbash made her way back to the residence and parked the sled outside. The smell of food cooking greeted her senses.

Lafiel sensed Sobbash coming through the door. “Good Sobbash, you’re here. If you could get me the tray of greens they are in the cooler second shelf.” Sobbash opened the door sitting on the shelf was a tray of assorted green vegetables and a sizeable pile of snap beans. She hands the tray to Lafiel “Here you are Your Highness. Anything else I can do?” Lafiel took the tray, “Sobbash you don’t have to be so formal. I do have a first name and since you are my friend I’d be really happy if you would use it, at least while we are on this planet.”

Sobbash stood silent looking at the large stew pot simmering on the burner; “Your, ah, Lafiel that smells remotely familiar, is that Samson’s recipe?” Lafiel smiles “It started as his work I’ve improved on it over the years this one however is a complete rework I’m hoping it’s to your liking. Jinto is getting Samson, Risch, Erin and Scholar I’m having a welcoming dinner.” Sobbash still looked at the stew pot Lafiel had added the greens to the mixture and the stew was just starting to bubble. “You need to stir it Lafiel or the greens will burn and stick to the bottom.” Wooden spoon in hand Lafiel gently stirs the mixture, Sobbash watches as the contents are revealed with every movement of the spoon. Lafiel make the final motion and removes the pot from the fire. “Jinto you can show up anytime now.”

Lafiel’s statement brings noises from the path, voices all familiar come towards the residence. “Thank you Jinto for showing up at the proper moment.” Lafiel turns towards Sobbash, “Dishes are in the cabinet to your right, we’ll need seven settings, silverware, I’ll get and then we eat.” She and Sobbash set the table just as Jinto and the dinner party enter the residence. This dinner was an excellent welcome for the new neighbors.

To Be Continued in: Secrets and Surprises

Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

Spacing post..